PDA

View Full Version : Premium plates

kevin118
10-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I notice on some of my quotes I had premium plates (at $80) added.

What are they, in NSW?

I'm assuming it is black characters on a white background as opposed to:

default black on yellow
or
super premium white on black
or
European style plates

right?

ricksterrr
10-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Yup that's exactly it re: 'Premium' plates.. black on white background with pre-selected letters and numbers.

The dealer usually gets a box of them from the RTA which you can choose out of.... similar to how you can choose a MSISDN from a Mobile Phone dealer when you purchase a new mobile.

This might be a stupid question, but anyway - has anyone arranged full customised plates with their dealer before (i.e. custom content and plate style) and do they charge the regular RTA fees? Are you better off just sticking with the $80 plates and ordering custom plates from the RTA separately?

roy
10-11-2009, 02:33 PM
This might be a stupid question, but anyway - has anyone arranged full customised plates with their dealer before (i.e. custom content and plate style) and do they charge the regular RTA fees? Are you better off just sticking with the $80 plates and ordering custom plates from the RTA separately?

i have the same question...... can i order a fully customized plate via dealer?

Corey_R
10-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah... RTA pricing sucks. I remember when it was only $35 (back in 2001) to go from the yellow/black text plates to the white/black text and thinking that it was crazy then, since the plates are smaller and all. Now they're $80 extra! Pfft!

Speak to your dealer, I'm sure they're able to organise Euro plates or other standard plates to be fitted. I'm not sure about personalised plates though...

windmagnet
10-11-2009, 04:23 PM
In SA it is very easy.

1. Speak to dealer and find out where they pick up plates;
2. Go to SA reg website and order and pay for plates online;
3. Nominate collection location suiting dealer;
4; Dealer collects plates and installs - no extra charge.

Just saw my plates on my new CW 5 door at the dealer. Looks sweet. I was surprised that "GTI ***" was still available when I bought the plates.

ricksterrr
10-11-2009, 08:24 PM
In SA it is very easy.

1. Speak to dealer and find out where they pick up plates;
2. Go to SA reg website and order and pay for plates online;
3. Nominate collection location suiting dealer;
4; Dealer collects plates and installs - no extra charge.

Just saw my plates on my new CW 5 door at the dealer. Looks sweet. I was surprised that "GTI ***" was still available when I bought the plates.

Cheers, windmagnet... will make sure to contact my dealer about it.

I presume you'll be picking up your new ride anytime soon now?

Ozram
10-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Ricksterrr,

What windmagnet states for SA also applies in NSW. I ordered my personalized euro plates online with the RTA. They send you a notification when they are ready (3 or 4 weeks from memory) and will hold them for you for 30 days (I think) without charging storage fees. You have to kind of time it if you are waiting for a ship with your new car on it. When the notification comes in you need to give this to your dealer along with a letter allowing them to pick them up on your behalf. They shouldn't charge extra for it but make sure they know you want special plates early on in the proceedings.

HTH,

Stu