PDA

View Full Version : Car hard to start on cold startup

Golf Loon
01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
Mk2 GTI cranks over for what seems like ages and then coughs and splutters for a moment before roaring into life and running normally.
On warm startup it is fine. Car goes great and its not the head gasket. Also blows no smoke. I`m thinking cold startup valve or something like that. Anyone got any ideas?

syncro
01-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Cold start valve.

Is the starter spinning over fast enough? (Earth problems?)

Roscoe
01-11-2005, 11:14 AM
If this is a Digifant (I'm guessing it is) car it has no cold start valve. Check the obvious things like plugs and leads, any tracking problem will be worse when cold and trying to start. Check the coolant temp sensor, these are prone to failure, I can probably find some resistance values for you if you need them. As Syncro says check the earths, especially the one between the engine and body, this is attached to the gearbox underneath the battery and can corrode, can also be left loose if the car has had a clutch replaced. If it is not connected properly the engine will get its earth via the ECU and will eventually blow it up!

Golf Loon
02-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Yeah the consensus seems to be cold start valve. Does anyone have one?

Roscoe
02-11-2005, 08:52 PM
perhaps ypu should read my post again... 1987 GTI won't have one. Even if it did (k-jetronic) it only works below 8 or 12 degrees and I think it might be a bit warmer than that where you are loon.

syncro
02-11-2005, 08:58 PM
I thought that an '87 was K-jet?

Roscoe
02-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Could be either Syncro as Digifant came out in 1987 and I guess it was a changeover year for that. I just looked at loon's car on e-bay and it looks like a k-jet car. The quaterlight glass in the front doors means it is a k-jet as far as I know. Same still applies for the colld start valve though, it only comes on when it is very cold. I'd be looking elsewhere for the problem.

Golf Loon
02-11-2005, 10:09 PM
Its K Jet Guys. Good detective work. I had similar probs in england, but it was colder there. I`ve changed the dissy cap and leads and rotor arm and there were a few dodgy wires, now soldered, but it still does it.

It does have an exhaust leak (not for long) could that be it?

Golf Loon
08-11-2005, 05:26 PM
Blew the head gasket today. That explains the symptoms and the fact that the reservoir was pressurising. Aint hindsight wonderful.

Took the head of this arvo, I`d say it had been seeping for a while. And car was rapid, should be good when its not blown!

GoLfMan
08-11-2005, 07:02 PM
wat car ur driving down to melbourne?

Golf Loon
08-11-2005, 07:40 PM
wat car ur driving down to melbourne?

Undecided at this point, but car and work commitments have postponed it till next week. Got yer springs off dubstar tho.

GoLfMan
08-11-2005, 09:47 PM
cheers bro next week'll be great :) look forward to meeting you :)