PDA

View Full Version : MK6 Golf Towing / Tow Bar thread

glennbot
14-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Has anyone seen what the towbar looks like on the new Mk6 Golf? I have seen pics in the brochure but it doesn't really show how it looks on the car.

Cupra
14-04-2009, 09:54 PM
As its a mkV under the skin it would probably be the same or similar?

Stoney!
10-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Just curious if many member on here with a 118tsi DSG have towed anything with their car, specifically if anyone has towed a fair weight with them....

Curious for a couple of reasons:-

1. How the DSG went with towing, knowing its a very intuitive box, but how well it held onto gear ratio's and not let the car labour, yet not over rev the engine either.

2. How well the twin charge engine performed whilst towing, with 240nm of torque its not about to tow a horse float, but its also adequate still. Just curious of how well it handled it and how much fuel consumption climbed, knowing they love a drink when worked hard. (well mine does :S lol)

3. Still related to the engine, this time the slight pause of power you sometimes get off the mark and how that affected towing abilities and comfort for the driver.

Anyone reading with a DSG MK V GT sport may also help me out.

Thanks guys,

Stoney!

gregozedobe
11-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Two things to watch out for (do your research carefully) :

Cost of towbars - some places charge 2 arms and 2 legs for tow bars and associated electrics for VWs !

Ball weight - most VAG cars have quite low maximum ball weights, which can restrict what you can legally tow.

Grover
11-11-2009, 03:17 AM
The only thing I don't like about the towbar fitted to my 118TSi is the cost of the electrics. All up, it is an $1800 option ($1200 for the electrics).

Our Golf is a second car... a daily driver and work horse (affectionately referred to as the "farm truck"). I was a little concerned about the DSG and its ability to sustain the load of carting a trailer load of garden waste to the dump every couple of months.

But, so far, so good. I have not had the trailer loaded to the max with anything very heavy (like dirt, sand etc) yet but it seems to handle things quite well so far. When towing a trailer under load you do get to appreciate the flexibilty that a 7 speed DSG box offers and I have to admit I use the sport mode and manual modes more when towing so as to keep it from labouring.

Other than the slightest rattle from the pinned towbar assembly, you would hardly know that you are towing anything (torque is ample).

Can't really comment on fuel economy (haven't taken any notice).

gtimal
11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
HI
Does anyone have any pictures of the toebar fitted to a mk6 GTI ,I'm curious to see how they fit and look .
I've tried to do a google search but nothing .

Cheers

Swallowtail
11-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Given that a toebar is variously: a martial arts technique; part of a shoe; part of a car's suspension; it may be worth clarifying exactly what you mean...

If you mean a toWbar as opposed to a toEbar, then I think you will find that the kit is the same as on any other recent Golf / Jetta / Passat / Eos etc...

gtimal
11-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Given that a toebar is variously: a martial arts technique; part of a shoe; part of a car's suspension; it may be worth clarifying exactly what you mean...

If you mean a toWbar as opposed to a toEbar, then I think you will find that the kit is the same as on any other recent Golf / Jetta / Passat / Eos etc...

I mean TOWBAR :duh: :-) .I was wonderiing how it looked with the GTI's rear bumper .

Cheers

Mal

GTi Crow
12-01-2010, 07:38 PM
Let you know when mine arrives. I do not have a choice, must have a towbar. Did not have one with my Mark5 GTi and caused me heaps of inconvenience. That is if you can wait until April or thereabouts.

gticrazy
13-01-2010, 06:42 AM
I didn't know you could fit a towbar on the Mark 6 GTI

Corey_R
13-01-2010, 10:06 AM
You can get the towbar kit for the GTI, although it's probably not recommended if you're upgrading the 18" wheels etc.

If you're getting the genuine VW towbar kit, then when the actual towarm is not installed, I don't believe that you can see that you have a towbar kit installed at all. Please verify this with your dealer, but the entire towbar amount actually goes up inside of the rear bumper so that it is not seen from behind the car. The towarm then pushes up into that and you clip it in to secure it for when you need it.

It's a GTI, so it'll look ugly whilst you have the towarm in :P

Christopher
13-01-2010, 10:53 AM
a mate a work has the same set up but on his Passat... He does say it is an absoluate pain when it comes to attaching the trailor because it is hidden underneath..

gtimal
13-01-2010, 11:28 AM
You can get the towbar kit for the GTI, although it's probably not recommended if you're upgrading the 18" wheels etc.

Hi C
Why would that be ,load rating on tyres or some other reason :confused:.

Cheers

Swallowtail
13-01-2010, 11:44 AM
a mate a work has the same set up but on his Passat... He does say it is an absoluate pain when it comes to attaching the trailor because it is hidden underneath..

Once you get the hang of it it's fine. I can do mine easily now. Was harder when it was new - there is high density foam padding around the towbar, and when it was new it was haarder to get the bar in far enough to compress the foam enough for the locking bar to go in easily. Goes in fine now though...

No reason you can't have it with 18s either.

Lima
13-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I think I have a pic somewhere from the Eastern Creek Driving Academy ... I'll see if I can dig it up.

Corey_R
13-01-2010, 05:15 PM
VW doesn't specifically say that you can't have 18" wheels and a towbar on the GTI.
However, other companies, like BMW, won't fit towbars to cars with their 'M Sport Suspension' (ie. lowered like in the GTI) and with the lowest profile tyres.

The profile of your tyres is part of your 'suspension' system. If you have lowered suspension and low profile tyres, it just makes then less comfortable to tow etc. But there is no rule or law to say that you can't.

Lima
13-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Note the price at the bottom of the left hand column on the 3rd image...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763717467_fSZLbL-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763717005_rHHhSL-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763715978_zq2NNL-1.jpg

And, FWIW, the car had 18s as well...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763714363_AfQ5jL-1.jpg

Corey_R
13-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the pictures. So the towbar does change the appearence of the GTI... there is a cutout in the valance.

As for the car having 18" wheels, it has every single dealer accessory, which is the point of the car.

Again, I didn't say you cannot have 18" wheels and a towbar, because clearly you could put 20" wheels on there and have a towbar, what I said was it's not recommended. It does depend on what you're towing though. A bike carrier, fine. A 1300kg trailer... you may want to think again :)

Swallowtail
13-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the pictures. So the towbar does change the appearence of the GTI... there is a cutout in the valance.

As for the car having 18" wheels, it has every single dealer accessory, which is the point of the car.

Again, I didn't say you cannot have 18" wheels and a towbar, because clearly you could put 20" wheels on there and have a towbar, what I said was it's not recommended. It does depend on what you're towing though. A bike carrier, fine. A 1300kg trailer... you may want to think again :)

I don't think it's "not recommended" by VW at all.... The Golf GTI is rated for 640kg unbraked trailer and 1300 braked.

gtimal
13-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Note the price at the bottom of the left hand column on the 3rd image...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763717467_fSZLbL-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763717005_rHHhSL-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763715978_zq2NNL-1.jpg

And, FWIW, the car had 18s as well...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/01/763714363_AfQ5jL-1.jpg
Thanks lima for the pic's :smile: ,I have ordered the car with a towbar and the comfort setting on the ACC might come in handy..Doesn't look to bad from a distance I can live with it .

Cheers

gtimal
13-01-2010, 08:20 PM
what I said was it's not recommended. It does depend on what you're towing though.

By who VW Australia or BMW .
What I need to find out is the max load rating of the 225x40x18 tyres .

Cheers

Mr Spitfire
13-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Do I read that right that the pricing on all those accessories does not include fitting?

Corey_R
13-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Guys look at a truck.... look at all vans etc, even VW's vans. Wondered why they have such high profiles?

It appears to be obvious to everyone but you guys. The tyre profile works in conjunction with your suspension.
As I said - there is no law saying you cannot tow heavy weighs with low profile tyres. It's just that your towing experience gets worse the lower the profile is and the shorter your suspension travel is.

pologti18t
13-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Apparently you can get kits from UK that dont require a cutout

http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/Towbars/vehicle_technical_details.aspx?vtid=204685

Dubya
13-01-2010, 10:01 PM
It's just that your towing experience gets worse the lower the profile is and the shorter your suspension travel is.

What's "towing experience"? lol. Could you be less specific? Who said anything about shorter suspension? Even the rolling diameter is unchanged...

Guys look at a truck.... look at all vans etc, even VW's vans. Wondered why they have such high profiles?

It appears to be obvious to everyone but you guys. The tyre profile works in conjunction with your suspension..

Yeah, so there! Coreying's the expert. Speculating all the way!

I didn't say you cannot have 18" wheels and a towbar, because clearly you could put 20" wheels on there and have a towbar, what I said was it's not recommended. It does depend on what you're towing though.

Depends on what you're towing - what a gem! And while you shouldn't have 18s, "clearly" you could put on 20s!

Clearly! But because you are making this up (ie bull****ting) you initially hedged your bets by saying it's "probably not recommended" (not that it was "not recommended" as you later claimed as you have no idea what is and is not recommended):

No facts, just speculation and conjecture all the way!

And to top it off you tell everyone "they" don't get it.

Marvellous. Make it up, weasel out and then tell everyone else they don't get it!

Five stars, Coreying.

My bull**** detector nearly blew up!

Swallowtail
13-01-2010, 10:21 PM

It appears to be obvious to everyone but you guys. The tyre profile works in conjunction with your suspension.
As I said - there is no law saying you cannot tow heavy weighs with low profile tyres. It's just that your towing experience gets worse the lower the profile is and the shorter your suspension travel is.

I know that Coreying... we all know that... any towing vehicle is a compromise. I tow a 700kg+ trailer with my Passat and it is brilliant at it. Ultra low profile tyres on 18s. Sure it's a bit jiggly over bumps, but the car has trucks full of torque, pulls like a train, has huge brakes, ESP that knows and caters for trailers being attached, and awd so it drives very stably.

So whilst I accept that a car with stiff suspension and low profile tyres on big wheels is not as good a dedicated towing car maybe as some others (go buy a Landcruiser), given that you don't buy a GTI solely to tow with, but you buy a GTI to tow with occasionally, my comments are 'go for it'.

I need to tow... occasionally. I choose a car for enjoyment, and as long as it has a towbar that I can use occasionally then I'm happy, as would most people be who tow occasionally.

Your comment was that it is 'not recommended' - which was what I disagreed with... VW do not say that it is 'not recommended', but have a towbar option and state what can safely be towed.

Brian
13-01-2010, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE

Five stars, Coreying.

My bull**** detector nearly blew up![/QUOTE]

Mine went offscale! Has this person ever towed anything?
9 years of towing a ski-boat with 40 profile tires and all i can say is they will probably help you with stability control and traction. Do some research and get some life experience before expounding your (lack of) world knowledge on the forums
Brian

gtimal
13-01-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi C
Have you ever read the DOTARS ADR laws on towing or changing wheel/diameters and tyre profiles and how it effects the load rating .
Also axle loads and maximum suspension compression allowed.

It would be interesting seeing what the load rating is on the 225x45x17 tyres compared to the 225x40x18 tyres because the tyre widths are the same so the
load rating on the 18's should be less but the tyre wall would also be stiffer and stronger ,anyone know the load ratings on both tyres .
Also we need to know the max axle load and if the spring and shock a stiffer on the 18's fitted cars from the factory .

If the load rating on the fact fitted tyres are say 600kgs and you decide to change to 19" wheel tyre combo and the new combo has a load rating of less then 600kgs then you have gone outside of ADR laws an its illegal just a bit of useless info .

Cheers

Corey_R
13-01-2010, 11:56 PM
I know that Coreying... we all know that... any towing vehicle is a compromise. I tow a 700kg+ trailer with my Passat and it is brilliant at it. Ultra low profile tyres on 18s. Sure it's a bit jiggly over bumps, but the car has trucks full of torque, pulls like a train, has huge brakes, ESP that knows and caters for trailers being attached, and awd so it drives very stably.

So whilst I accept that a car with stiff suspension and low profile tyres on big wheels is not as good a dedicated towing car maybe as some others (go buy a Landcruiser), given that you don't buy a GTI solely to tow with, but you buy a GTI to tow with occasionally, my comments are 'go for it'.

I need to tow... occasionally. I choose a car for enjoyment, and as long as it has a towbar that I can use occasionally then I'm happy, as would most people be who tow occasionally.

Your comment was that it is 'not recommended' - which was what I disagreed with... VW do not say that it is 'not recommended', but have a towbar option and state what can safely be towed.

Thank you. Whilst you don't agree with me completely, at least you can have a nice discussion without resorting to insults and useless nonsense like others have resorted to, so I appreciate that.

To clarify, I've never said what VW don't recommend, because as you said, they don't state it anywhere in their brochures.

But way people are talking here, they think that the tyre's load handling is the only consideration. It is these types of posters that you have to question whether they've done any towing before, not I.

I've highlighted in bold the types of things I'm getting at. You have stated that your Passat is jiggly over bumps, yet unlike your Passat the GTI is not AWD, so that jiggling causes much less stability in a FWD car. We we also don't know the loads, type of towing, or amount of towing that the OP is considering doing.

So I still stand by my original comments that it's better to stick with the 17" wheels for a car intended for towing. When this thread came up, my initial thought was the type of towing I and my family do (large box trailers, dingos/bobcats, caravans etc) and not occasional lightweight towing.

So I'll conceed that since the OP hasn't said what he intends to tow and how often, the 18" wheels may be fine.

Corey_R
14-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Hi C
Have you ever read the DOTARS ADR laws on towing or changing wheel/diameters and tyre profiles and how it effects the load rating .
Also axle loads and maximum suspension compression allowed.

It would be interesting seeing what the load rating is on the 225x45x17 tyres compared to the 225x40x18 tyres because the tyre widths are the same so the
load rating on the 18's should be less but the tyre wall would also be stiffer and stronger ,anyone know the load ratings on both tyres .
Also we need to know the max axle load and if the spring and shock a stiffer on the 18's fitted cars from the factory .

If the load rating on the fact fitted tyres are say 600kgs and you decide to change to 19" wheel tyre combo and the new combo has a load rating of less then 600kgs then you have gone outside of ADR laws an its illegal just a bit of useless info .

Cheers

Yeah, it's clear these guys haven't considered any of these things things from their posts (except Swallowtail).

But I don't care enough to further discuss with the rude people who have come along to do nothign else but throw insults around without adding anything useful to the thread, so I'll leave this be :)

gtimal
14-01-2010, 12:33 AM
HI
This is the type of trailer I'm lookng at ,something I can throw some camping gear on and set up at a powered caravan site ruffing it :).
http://www.easytrailer.com.au/about_easy_trailer.html

Cheers

Dubya
14-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Thank you. Whilst you don't agree with me completely, at least you can have a nice discussion without resorting to insults and useless nonsense like others have resorted to, so I appreciate that.

What I object to, and what this forum could well do without, is people (adding weight to their views and misleading others by) stating opinion and conjecture as fact:

… I didn't say you cannot have 18" wheels and a towbar … what I said was it's not recommended.

Others queried who, if anyone, has made this “recommendation” with which you have muddied the water:

By who VW Australia or BMW.

I don't think it's "not recommended" by VW at all.... The Golf GTI is rated for 640kg unbraked trailer and 1300 braked.

Weaselling:

To clarify, I've never said what VW don't recommend.

Then to what authority were you referring when you said “it’s not recommended”?

Elsewhere you slide from "its not recommended" to:

… it's probably not recommended …

You then write that VW does not “specifically” proscribe a towbar when 18” wheels are fitted. (Are you implying that VW does something less, like hint or tacitly urge people not to do so?):

VW doesn't specifically say that you can't have 18" wheels and a towbar on the GTI.

Not only does VW not express any such concern, after you have made your bold assertions about combining towbars and 18s, pictures are posted of a VGA GTI with a towbar and 18” wheels, but you address this minor inconvenience with:

So the photo of a GTI with towbar and 18s fitted does not imply anything or detract from your claims? VGA is just recklessly ignoring a "recommendation". But nor is there any VGA disclaimer regarding fitting a towbar and 18” wheels, so perhaps VGA has no issue with this combination.

The tyre profile does what? Sounds technical, but it'd be the other way round wouldn’t it?

Yeah, let's talk about trucks now!

But it is not so much that trucks and vans have high profile tyres as they have no need for the more costly and less suitable low profile tyres fitted to cars for which handling is a priority.

As I said - there is no law saying you cannot tow heavy weighs with low profile tyres.

Backpedal!

Don’t defend the indefensible and unsubstantiated thing you did claim (that combining towbars and 18s is NOT recommended), defend something you didn’t claim, that there is “no law” against it.

So the lower claim about TB+18s “not being recommended” must be true because you did not make an even more outrageous claim about towbars and 18s being illegal? Brilliant!

You then go from technical bull**** to just plain bull**** (“towing experience”, whatever that is) and throw in something about “suspension travel” for good measure, even though it remains a constant whether 17” or 18” tyres are fitted:

It's just that your towing experience gets worse the lower the profile is and the shorter your suspension travel is.

I have no issue with your opinions, Coreying, but it is unfair to express opinions and conjecture as facts, even if you’ve heard them elsewhere. Tell us you read of an issue, don't write "it is not recommended" without attribution or explanation. As Swallowtail said:

So I'll conceed that since the OP hasn't said what he intends to tow and how often, the 18" wheels may be fine.

You should concede more than that.

Why wade in and cause alarm and spread misinformation by making unsubstantiated claims that there is a “recommendation” against fitting tow bar + 18s, especially when when you do not even know whether the towbar is to be used for a bike rack or a ski boat?

Yeah, it's clear these guys haven't considered any of these things things from their posts (except Swallowtail).

Nor did you – you just came out and claimed adding a towbar with 18s was “not recommended” which not only was not true (you also said it was "probably not recommended"), it did not take any account of the OP’s needs.

But I don't care enough to further discuss with the rude people who have come along …

The issue raised by these "rude" people is transparency, not towbars.

to do nothign else but throw insults around without adding anything useful to the thread, so I'll leave this be :)

No one’s throwing insults, Coreying, just doing the Aussie thing of calling out bull**** when we see it in the hope that others will think twice before trying it on in this forum in future.

As for being “rude”, you were condescending:

It appears to be obvious to everyone but you guys.

as soon as your peddling of opinion (and conjecture) as fact was exposed.

It was obvious alright.

Swallowtail
14-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Holy crap Dubya, now that is a serious rebuttal... :D you're not a lawyer perchance are you?

I think that is probably enough on the side topic now folks, let's get things back on track and on topic.

NOTE: ANY efforts to continue this aspect of the discussion WILL result in infractions. Don't tempt me folks... :)

Pearso888
09-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I really like the GTI/GTD but the problem i have is i need to be able to tow a trailer occasionaly and just wanted to know if anyone can give me any advice as to how a GTI/GTD might go towing a trailer. Currntly i have a Subaru Forester and i know the golf will not tow as well as the Forester does, buit for the occasionaly times that i tow would the golf cope?

Stoney!
10-04-2010, 01:54 AM
The diesel will certainly cope with the weight with 350nm of torque, ottiengerchip should get it over 400nm too, only problem being its FWD!

Stoney!

team_v
10-04-2010, 08:05 AM
Could look into a TDI Tiguan or Passat if the Golf isn't suitable enough?

cme2c
10-04-2010, 01:18 PM
What sort of trailer? For example, my son tows a small boat trailer with a Hyundai Excel. I towed his Excel on a trailer with my Bedford. Just be aware of towing weights and towball weight.

STV4SYT
10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
I have a mate who use to regularly tow a 15ft Bullet Speed boat with a TDI pacific, it was right on the limit (legally) but had no hassles.

barges
11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
i test drove the new forrester petrol manual and stalled it twice. i thought it was really underpowered and had no low down torque. i supposed im spoilt as the only manual i drive is a big 4x4 ute that just pulls out in second gear.
i think my diesel golf would be ok in towing a trailer, but not too sure about the dsg seems a little clunky from stationary.

mtaoz3
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I towed a bit with my Mk V 2.0 TDI Manual. I never had any dramas with small trailers up to 700kg. I towed an empty car trailer (900kg) several hundred km without drama, although you have to work the clutch a bit on takeoff. Just for the hell of it I did try to tow a loaded car trailer (1100kg car on 900kg trailer) and whilst it had the power to tow it easily enough, it felt that the trailer was driving the car, which is what you'd expect. It was way over the legal and practical towing capacity of the car!
Stick to the VW recommended limits and you'l have no issues. Fitting the towbar isn't cheap though as the wiring at the back of the car is multiplexed, requiring the use of a special VW harness. Check the price of the harness first.

glenc
15-06-2010, 05:13 AM
Most Australians think that you need a 4WD to tow a caravan but it's different in the UK.

2010 Towcar of the Year awards
The VW Golf SE 2.0 TDI reigned supreme in its price class and went on to be voted overall winner by a panel of 10 judges for its great performance when towing in a variety of situations and its practicality as a caravanning family car.
2010 Towcar of the Year awards | Practical advice | The Caravan Club (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/2010-towcar-of-the-year-awards)
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/tested-towcars/volkswagen/volkswagen-golf-se-20tdi

Other winners were:

Kia Soul Shaker 1.6 CRDi (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/tested-towcars/kia/kia-soul-shaker-16-crdi)
Land Rover Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/tested-towcars/land-rover/land-rover-discovery-4-tdv6-hse)
Mazda6 2.2D Estate TS2 (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/tested-towcars/mazda/mazda6-22d-estate-ts2)
Škoda Superb Elegance 3.6 V6 4x4 DSG (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/tested-towcars/%C5%A1koda/%C5%A1koda-superb-elegance-36-v6-4x4-dsg)
Volvo XC60 SE D5 AWD (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/tested-towcars/volvo/volvo-xc60-se-d5-awd)

Corey_R
15-06-2010, 06:57 AM
Wow - thanks for the news. There you go. A FWD 2L Golf voted best tow car! :D

glenc
15-06-2010, 07:50 AM
I recently towed an ALiner to Sydney, Adelaide, Darwin and back home to Casino.
My Golf 2.0 TDI averaged 7.1 L/100km (14 km/L, 40 mpg) over 11,900 km with the van. I cruised at 95 kph.
The Golf has more torque than a V6 Commodore and better resale value too.
The traction control came in handy a few times going up hill on gravel.

glenc
03-10-2010, 04:46 AM
The Volkswagen Golf Match 2.0TDI 140 (103 kW)
won its class in the 2011 Towcar of the Year awards

2011 Towcar of the Year awards | Practical advice | The Caravan Club (http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/practical-advice/thinking-of-buying/award-winning-choices/towcar-of-the-year-awards/2011-towcar-of-the-year-awards)

supermotojm
22-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Hi folks
Newbie on here and don't yet own a VW. Picking up a second hand manual 103 TDi with sport pack, hoefuly this week end.
Looking forward to it!
I need to occasionaly tow a small trailer with a dirt bike so will need to install a towbar.
Have been quoted $1500 to $1700. I thought it was a joke until I read some posts on Mk5 tow bars and I found a post on Mk6 towbars. The parts cost $1045 and then there is $500 to $600 in labour. Crazy stuff.

Had a few queries:
1. Has anyone installed a non genuine VW tow bar on a Mark 6? I found this one for $699 - half price!
VW Golf Tow Bar Sydney (http://www.shop1auto.com.au/New%20towbar%20pages/Towbars_VW_Golf.html)

2. Is anyone else interested in ordering a towbar so we could try and get a group price with some Sydney dealers.

The 103TDi is due for its second 30k servive even though it has only clocked 25k - service light is on. It turns out this service is a $660 service where the some filter needs to be changed. I get the feeling this is a diesel engine specific service job.

- As the vehicle was registered in July 2009, so 2 years haven't yet come up and we have not yet reached $30k, am I able to wait another 5k to do this service or should I be taking the hit right away and service this baby?
- Anyone had any experience with non VW garages servicing (like Midas)? Have a feeling there could be a saving there as well, but haven't got any quotes yet.

Thanks for your help guys.

JM

JPH
23-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi JM
Congrats on the new car! I have been using VW Village on Anzac Pde at Kensington - Not too far if you are at Bondi. About 40% cheaper than dealers for scheduled services.

I bought the genuine towbar with my TDI for $1400. The expense in the towbar is the electronic interface to the car. With the genuine kit the car's stability program recognises when a trailer is connected and modifies its behaviour accordingly. Also monitors the bulbs and wiring in the trailer and detects faults, which are displayed on the dashboard. The aftermarket kits use a set of relays to activate the lights on the trailer. If you are only towing occasionally aftermarket is probably the way to go.

BTW I backed out of a deal on a new Audi A3 when they couldn't improve on the price of their towbar kit (at $2400) and ordered the Golf the next day.

The TDI DSG tows my 400 kg tinny without complaint. I do notice the oil temp displayed on the MFD goes up from a normal 98 to 105 degrees when towing.

Cheers
John

9inchRob
15-03-2011, 09:35 AM
Hey Supermotojm....

Did you get your Towbar?

Is it OK?

Does it interact with the rest of the goodies properly?

I'm heading for a Mark VI GTI Adidas to replace the Mark V, and (probably "Horror of Horrors" may need a Towbar, so am interested.....for the future, at least.

ROB

JPanDAX
27-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi

Did some searching with not much luck under golf GTI mk6 for this topic.

I am looking at getting a towbar installed on my golf, to carry a light kayaking trailer which probably weights no more than 2-300 kg all up with kayak, gear and trailer....

I am looking for options like the westfalia and other US and Euro style systems. In particular the ones that mount under neath and do not need to cut the rear bumper.

Has anyone got any info on the availability of these type of systems and availability in Australia. They seem popular in Europe, US and UK with VW and BMW etc...

Thanks in advance

JP

barrenjoey owl
27-06-2011, 06:54 PM
This may be of use to you, http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f15/researching-towbar-options-golf-mk5-6707.html

JPanDAX
27-06-2011, 07:05 PM
THanks - I just realised I had posted a question in there previously ....

Must be getting old huh!!!

JP

JPanDAX
28-06-2011, 02:28 PM
ok - I just had an email response back from New Zealand. They are in the process of getting one of their removable and hidden towbar systems complianced for Australian ADR'S.

They said this will be within a couple of months and then it will be available to both the NZ and OZ markets.

Check out the site.....

http://www.westfalia-automotive.co.nz

It's about time they did something with this as you can get them in UK, EURO and US but not NZ or OZ yet for the VW. They have similar ones with ADR for BMWs and Mercs....

Well - I will be waiting for this to be available here before I do anything!

JP

justin
14-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Not sure either, but I'll let you know when I see it on mine. Hehe. :)

stickshift3000
14-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Why do you have so much stuff??

Seriously, I have no answer to any of your queries.

stickshift3000
14-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Currntly i have a Subaru Forester and i know the golf will not tow as well as the Forester does, buit for the occasionaly times that i tow would the golf cope?

My chipped tdi tows a trailer with 2 motorbikes on it very easily with its 370nm of torque. That's more torque than the forester 2.5L turbo... let alone the naturally aspirated engine.

My total towed weight is probably over 500 kg's, doesn't break a sweat.

justin
25-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I got my Golf Mk6 with a Towbar, but don't intend to tow anything right away. It's handy to have it as an option though.

epicmac
26-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Hey Justin, did you get the VW towbar or an aftermarket one?

Do you have any pictures you can put up? I've got a red GTD on order and I'm trying to decide what to do regarding a towbar.

justin
29-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey Justin, did you get the VW towbar or an aftermarket one?

Do you have any pictures you can put up? I've got a red GTD on order and I'm trying to decide what to do regarding a towbar.
I got the VW towbar. Pics here:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/official-golf-mk6-picture-thread-2nd-edition-discussion-thread-52640-73.html#post713559

PLR
11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Ok guys be gentle as I am sure this is a dumb question. Am I right in assuming that a tow bar on an R is absolutely no go?

Corey_R
11-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Ok guys be gentle as I am sure this is a dumb question. Am I right in assuming that a tow bar on an R is absolutely no go?

Not without a custom tow bar and probably modification of the exhaust. The car doesn't even have a tow rating...

PLR
11-10-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks Corey.

P

epicmac
11-10-2011, 08:18 PM
The price of the VW towbar has scared me off. As I mainly want it for a bike rack I can't use some of the Euro style ones where the ball and mount are all one piece as the rack needs to be bolted between the ball and the mount. Hayman Reese do one for $328rrp for the bar and $204rrp for the ECU to allow it to connect to the VW. Plus installation. Like the VW one it requires the rear bumper to be cut. It should work out about half the VW price.

peedman
11-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Im guessing you've already considered roof racks and bike rack instead if your not actually going to tow anythinmg?

epicmac
12-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Im guessing you've already considered roof racks and bike rack instead if your not actually going to tow anythinmg?

Yes I looked at racks. The VW ones, like everything aftermarket VW are expensive ($450 for the racks + $320 for each bike mount). Out of the two, I'd rather have a towbar for the very occasional time I actually tow. Currently about once every 2 years.

The Hayman Reese tow setup should be $600-$800 cheaper than VW's after installation.

rossw
12-12-2011, 06:11 PM
SInce I have a Novated lease, I had to pay the VW price to get my towbar :eek:. I thought I'd post some pictures so people can see what you get for ~$1500

The bar is still the NZ made Best bars one, rather than the more sophisticated Westphalia type that you get in Europe. That may be an ADR compliance issue.

The bar is a vertical hitch receiver type, and the loose hitch comes with a chrome towball and cover, and a rubber protector for your shins ;). There's also a plastic plug that fills up the hole when the hitch is not there.

There is a hole cut in the lower bumper panel, but this has some edging added to neaten it up. A steel plate painted black is added behind to blank off the opening. It's pretty thin paint though and I don't know how long it will be before it starts to rust. At least it's easily replaced. For the money, I would have preferred them to use the proper VW part with the insert.

The connector is the 13 pin Euro type, but you get an adaptor to alter this to the 7 pin flat type. The hitch comes packaged in a bag that looks like it's made from leftover floor mats. The hitch is a tight fit inside, but it's a sturdy bag.

The hitch is pretty easy to remove and fit, and there is a tapered pin with a security clip to hold it in place.

Here's the photos:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/20111212_181439-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/20111212_181543-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/20111212_181651-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/12/20111212_1817121-1.jpg

One detail I've noticed is that the towball does not obscure the numberplate, so no fines when forgetting to take it off :banana:

rossw
06-01-2012, 08:16 AM
Some further information. The standard 13-7 pin adaptor supplied with the towbar does not have the link that grounds pin 12 (pin 12 is the trailer detect pin). I have added a link between pin 12 and pin 3(earth) and now my fog light is disabled when it's supposed to be. That seems to be the only indication that the car is in trailer mode.

For bike racks maybe leave this link out.

Further investigating the connnections in the 13-7 pin adaptor:

Pin 2 (rear fog light) on the car is connected to pin 5 (electric brakes) on the trailer. Well I guess if you have to tow a trailer with electric brakes, you'll find some other way to wire up the brake controller.

Reversing lights (Pin 8 ) are not connected at all, so they will not work even if your trailer has them.

Both pin 5 (Right side tail lights) and pin 7 (left side tail lights) on the car are connected to the trailer tail lights via diodes. This is so that the one side only parking light with ignition off function will still work I suppose. They could have just used one or the other (maybe right hand side?) and used the remaining wire in the cable for the reversing lights. I haven't worried about it because my box trailer doesn't need it.

EDIT: From posts seen elsewhere about the issue, it seems that you need the tail lights of both sides connected to avoid false positives when detecting globe failures. Apparently the ECU interprets the lack of load on the side that isn't used as a globe failure.

m_wave
03-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Hi All

I've just purchased a second hand 2010 Golf GTI which has a towbar. I don't think it's factory fitted, but wondering if anyone could suggest a reputable person to remove it for me?

I'm not concerned about the actual bar removal, which I can do myself, however I've heard the wiring harness can be tricky.

After it's removed I'll be looking to sell so keep that in mind as well.

Thanks in advance

AdamD
03-04-2012, 09:24 AM
I've just purchased a second hand 2010 Golf GTI which has a towbar. I don't think it's factory fitted, but wondering if anyone could suggest a reputable person to remove it for me?

Presumably any decent mechanic could remove it. Shouldn't be too difficult. You could always search for a towbar specialist, or else your dealer.

m_wave
01-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks Adam, I just had the tow bar removed including electrics so it's available if anyone would like to flick me a PM. I'm willing to do a sweet deal for what is a pretty expensive bit of kit from the factory. Ideally if I can find a fellow GTI owner we can swap valance as well, but that might be pushing it!

118stip
04-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Hey VW Watercooled.

I have been trying to get an aftermarket towbar sorted for the new GTI. I owned a 2010 mk6 118tsi before this and had a hayman reece towbar fitted and it was fine, and alot cheaper for $700. I thought when purchasing this vehicle that I would be able to get the same bar for the GTI. Turns out that hayman reece state that it does not fir the GTI.

I am slightly pissed that I may have to go and spend $1800 for a genuine VW towbar from the dealership..

Does anyone know if I have any other options left?

Thanks in advance guys, hopefully you will all be able to save me over a grand somehow lol..

118Stip

Cam89
04-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I took the plunge and bought the genuine tow bar as it is covered by VW warranty (and was in the same boat unable to find an aftermarket one), apparently the problem lies in the plug for the trailer and the traction control (not sure if this is right just what I was told by the dealer). The genuine one integrates perfectly and is unnoticeable when not on the car.

Thanks Cam

118stip
05-09-2012, 08:29 AM
I took the plunge and bought the genuine tow bar as it is covered by VW warranty (and was in the same boat unable to find an aftermarket one), apparently the problem lies in the plug for the trailer and the traction control (not sure if this is right just what I was told by the dealer). The genuine one integrates perfectly and is unnoticeable when not on the car.

Thanks Cam

I recieved a quote last night for fitment of a genuine VW towbar and aftermarket electrics from the UK for $1010. I am definitely going to take this. I still cant justify the extra cost to go with a genuine bar.

GTD Dubber
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Off the track a little, but I have a genuine VW bar and I took the trailer off after I had accidently locked the car and the car alarm went off. A benefit of the genuine, if someone tries to steal the trailer, off goes the alarm. Not sure if this feature works with a non-genuine one.

Silvertfox
07-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Haha! Me thinks the motion sensors were on the job! Genuine or non-genuine tow bar won't make any difference to that!

GTD Dubber
07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Ahhh, okie, ta.

1stVeeDub
08-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Hi everyone, I have a 2011MY Golf Comfortline 118TSI manual and need to tow a small 15 foot sailing boat that weighs about 70kg excluding trailer. I have seen the webpage for Shop 1 Auto at Gladesville suggesting fitting a Hayman Reese 2050W unit including a #4827 ECU protector. It looks a neat unit compared to what I had previously on an old VS Commodore. My car has the dealer fitted reversing sensors as well as CANBus alarm. I wondered if anybody else had had a Hayman Reese bar fitted by Shop 1 and whether the installation was able to connect OK to the CANbus system and din't impact on the reversing sensors and ESC. Were their any issues with a non standard fitting?

GTD Dubber
05-04-2013, 01:56 PM
I have a genuine VW fitted towbar and am looking for the plate that goes at the back of the towbar to hide part of the muffler. (See Rossw's picture above for what I mean). Can anyone tell me where to get the rear plate that semi hides the muffler, please. I have asked several VW dealers and they have no record of even a part number. I have seen several Golfs with this cover plate on them and even asked a person who had one installed on her car, and the dealer that installed it, even said they have no record of the part. Any help would be appreciated.

Umai Naa!!
05-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I would suggest that you contact Best Bars, who are the manufacturers for the towbars for Volkswagen in Australia and New Zeland.

GTD Dubber
05-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Terrific, thanks Umai Naa. Shall do.

GTD Dubber
15-05-2013, 05:42 PM
I would suggest that you contact Best Bars, who are the manufacturers for the towbars for Volkswagen in Australia and New Zeland.

Talk about a successful week. This all revolves around the steel plate that sits behind the towbar on my GTD (see early posts for the story). I finally GOMA and contacted Best Bars in NZ, yesterday. Between yesterday and today, Nathan from Best Bars and Ryan from Parts in VW Gosford, have managed to have the part: 1. Identified, 2. okied by VWA to be sent to VW Gosford and 3. to be sent over to Aus for me to collect. So often we hear about bad service. Well this is a good service story. Very impressed by the speed and concern shown by all the guys involved in this saga. Thanks again Nathan and Ryan. Also Umai Naa and Rossw for suggesting the path to take.

Umai Naa!!
15-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Good to hear you got it sorted.

GTI4fun
07-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Hey fellas went to speedy tow bar people to get an aftermarket tow bar done to my GTI and unfortunately there are some problems with the electrical side of things. They tried 3 ECU's, tried to work it with ignition on and off and still wont work properly.
Problem is that the trailer break lights are on once the parking lights are switched on so if i was to drive in the night you wouldnt be able to tell when i'm breaking, basically one wire operates two functions at the same time (breaking and night time park lights).
Any suggestions and or advice what could be happening????

Thanks for your time.

Umai Naa!!
07-11-2013, 11:54 AM
Simply put, the stop/tail globe on the car is a single filament globe, meaning only one wire to do two functions. The body control module just steps the voltage up to the full 12V when you put your foot on the brake to make the globe brighter.

The car itself is fine. It's where you're getting a brake light signal from is the problem. You may be able to tap into the high mount brake light circuit, but I can't guarentee that it won't cause problems. Your best bet is to work out which wire on the travel sensor (which is essentially your brake light switch) on the brake master cylinder is the brake light feed to the body control module. Tapping into this shouldn't cause any other dramas.

The_Hawk
07-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Sadly screwing with VW wiring often ends in disaster :(

Surely this is a common issue for aftermarket installers (at least those touch VW's)??

In the OEM install there is a computer module that plugs in in the boot which runs the trailer plug. No splicing and no screwing with the electronics but it needs to be coded AND it's rather pricey (from memory $600+). But at least it gives you a standard PIN out that works with the trailer and when coded it will allow your rear sensors to be disabled when you hook up a trailer (if you have them).

It might be worth a call around the wreckers to see if you can find one in a Mk6 to liberate and use, hopefully for not a lot of $$.

GTI4fun
07-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Sadly screwing with VW wiring often ends in disaster :(

Surely this is a common issue for aftermarket installers (at least those touch VW's)??

In the OEM install there is a computer module that plugs in in the boot which runs the trailer plug. No splicing and no screwing with the electronics but it needs to be coded AND it's rather pricey (from memory $600+). But at least it gives you a standard PIN out that works with the trailer and when coded it will allow your rear sensors to be disabled when you hook up a trailer (if you have them).

It might be worth a call around the wreckers to see if you can find one in a Mk6 to liberate and use, hopefully for not a lot of $$.

Thanks for detailed reply Hawk, does this mean i'll have to go to an electrician to get it properly coded?? What if i was to call VW people and ask them to do the electrical side of things only and keep the aftermarket tow bar???

The_Hawk
07-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Theoretically the stock module + electrical plug coupled with an aftermarket bar should work...

Interestingly, and completely aside, I can't buy a factory tow bar for a cabriolet :(

Umai Naa!!
08-11-2013, 12:36 AM
But you can for an Eos!

Even if you find a Golf at a wreckers with a genuine wiring kit in it, it's a bit of a mission to remove it. It's not a simple plug-and-play thing. You need to back wire terminals out of connectors for starters.

If you do end up going down the genuine path, anyone who has VCDS or VAS-PC, and knows how to use it, can code the module in for you.

Lucas_R
24-01-2014, 09:58 AM
If anyone is interested, i am sellling a used genuine VW towbar kit from a Mk6 GTI: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f24/genuine-vw-towbar-kit-mk5-mk6-golf-gti-93458.html#post1025565

Dawoode
24-04-2016, 02:49 PM
Hi everyone probably an old topic. Was wondering if I have to buy the ecu for the Hayman Reece towbar or can I just use the wiring kit that came with it?

Dan_3MPS
03-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Another bump of an old topic, if you have the 'genuine towbar' fitted to your Mk6 GTI and don't want it let me know. Looks like I'm keeping my car very long term now and I want to add a towbar to it with the proper CANBUS electronics rather than a bypass kit.

Did find this kit from the UK which appears to be the CANBUS electrics (http://www.pfjones.co.uk/volkswagen-golf-all-models-7-pin-dedicated-wiring-kit-nov-2003-onwards-19270514rc.html?currency=AUD) so might combine it with a local towbar install which seem to be around $700 fitted.

On another note, does anyone tow a small camper trailer/lightweight caravan (under 1000kg) with their Golf? Wondering how it would go for a couple of small trips per year.

supermotojm
04-09-2016, 10:06 PM
On another note, does anyone tow a small camper trailer/lightweight caravan (under 1000kg) with their Golf? Wondering how it would go for a couple of small trips per year.

I have 103 TDI and tow dirt bikes and road bikes on a trailer - no issues at all. Been camping with the trailer full of all our gear too. All this was under 600kg (incl trailer weight).

Dan_3MPS
05-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Bumping again, almost a year later!

Have a genuine towbar kit installed now, works well. Been looking to tow a camper trailer which means I'll need an electric brake controller due to the weight going over 600kg, has anyone fitted one of these themselves?

Also have air bag inserts for the rear coil springs coming, will post pics once installed if anyone is interested.

A tuned GTI is an epic tow car :)

craig_the_german
10-08-2017, 07:27 AM
I have an electric brake controller fitted to another vehicle. You'll need a power supply from the battery and a brake signal usually taken from the brake pedal switch. You will also need to look at where to fit the module (mine is behind the glove box but is not a Golf so check for space)and mine has a control knob that fitted into the console. Redarc TowPro or TowPro Elite come highly recommended (mine is a Towpro) The only issue I can imagine would come if connecting a brake controller confused the onboard electronics and threw errors.

bernie88
21-09-2017, 05:46 PM
I have an electric brake controller fitted to another vehicle. You'll need a power supply from the battery and a brake signal usually taken from the brake pedal switch. You will also need to look at where to fit the module (mine is behind the glove box but is not a Golf so check for space)and mine has a control knob that fitted into the console. Redarc TowPro or TowPro Elite come highly recommended (mine is a Towpro) The only issue I can imagine would come if connecting a brake controller confused the onboard electronics and threw errors.

Did you wire it up yourself or had an auto electrician do it? I'm contemplating just doing it myself,