PDA

View Full Version : Passat BlueMotion: 1st Official Pics & Details

phaeton
14-02-2007, 05:09 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

World premiere of the Passat BlueMotion in Geneva

Low fuel consumption- Passat BlueMotion consumes just 5.1 litres of diesel over 100 km

It just keeps running: Passat BlueMotion with 1,350 km range.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/vortexblue001-1.jpg

Wolfsburg, 12 February 2007 - The new Passat BlueMotion – no other vehicle of its size consumes less fuel. The saloon needs exactly 5.1 litres of diesel for 100 km. And just as convincing: a CO2 emission level of just 136 g/km. The world premiere of the Passat BlueMotion is 6th March at the Geneva Motor Show.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/vortexblue002-1.jpg

With the new Passat BlueMotion, Volkswagen is forcing ahead with the launch of vehicles that are particularly efficient and environmentally friendly. The first BlueMotion model was the Polo in the summer of 2006– an immediate success and its production figures have already been increased threefold due to the high demand throughout Europe. "BlueMotion" is now the seal of quality for a model version with the lowest rate of fuel consumption.

With reference to the new Passat BlueMotion this means: an average of 5.1 litres of diesel over 100 kilometres. The Passat Estate BlueMotion needs 5.2 litres (137 g/km) – also a top value, even in comparison to vehicles worldwide. Both body versions have a driving range of up to 1,350 kilometres with a full tank! With an average annual distance driven of 15,000 kilometres, this means that the driver only needs to refuel eleven times a year with an average of 68 Euro* in fuel costs per month.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Volkswagen can achieve such low consumption figures through the fine tuning of the engine, which was already extremely efficient. In this case a 77 kW / 105 bhp TDI engine with a diesel particulate filter fitted as standard. This fuel efficiency does not, however, reduce levels of agility. The Passat BlueMotion can accelerate up to 193 km/h (Estate: 190 km/h) if required. That is an element of the BlueMotion philosophy: fuel efficiency and agility in a combination that still makes driving fun.

* = Basis : 3rd week of 2007, price in Germany, details from the Association of the German Petroleum Industry

Images hosted by VMG Group www.vwvortex.com and www.thecarlounge.com

Seano
15-02-2007, 08:28 AM
I assume that BlueMotion is the VW version of BlueTec by Daimler Chrysler.

I note there is zero mention in the release of the blue fluid that is required to achieve the low particulate emissions and that requires regular topping up (just like the fuel although not as frequently) which impacts on operating costs.

phaeton
15-02-2007, 12:53 PM
I assume that BlueMotion is the VW version of BlueTec by Daimler Chrysler.

I note there is zero mention in the release of the blue fluid that is required to achieve the low particulate emissions and that requires regular topping up (just like the fuel although not as frequently) which impacts on operating costs.

You assumption is wrong ;) :D

BlueMotion is entirely different to BlueTec.

BlueMotion - tuning of engine and gearbox = better fuel consumption.

BlueTec - as you mentioned a fluid is injected which greatly reduces NOx gases = better fuel consumption and cleaner gas emissions.

Seano
16-02-2007, 08:34 AM
So......was this 'BlueMotion' (if it creates confusion with BluTec then it could be a daft name) bought about for Euro IV compliance?

It is also hard to imagine how a 77kW engine could drive something like a Passat wagon at anything other than Grandma acceleration without watching that fuel consumption go back to more normal levels. A Europe only model perhaps?

gldgti
16-02-2007, 11:10 AM
So......was this 'BlueMotion' (if it creates confusion with BluTec then it could be a daft name) bought about for Euro IV compliance?

It is also hard to imagine how a 77kW engine could drive something like a Passat wagon at anything other than Grandma acceleration without watching that fuel consumption go back to more normal levels. A Europe only model perhaps?

remember guys, its not the kW thats important, its the torque, and 240Nm is plenty for driving around... particularly when its all so accessible.

certainly it'd be no race car, but it would be morethan adequate for all situations, baar drag racing people at the lights

gldgti
16-02-2007, 11:12 AM
also, this will be the 1.9 TDI engine thats available here in aus with the mk5 golf as the cheaper option, with a particulate filter on the back.

gldgti
16-02-2007, 11:27 AM
"The reduced consumption and emission values were achieved by longer gear ratios, by aerodynamic refinements and by "modifications inside the engine". The Volkswagen vehicle has a manual five-speed gearbox. The Polo BlueMotion is built in Pamplona in Spain and will be launched in Switzerland, the Netherlands, Austria and Germany in the Summer of 2006."

from the vw website.

i would guess that "modifications inside the engine" means using high tolerance parts, special injectors and maybe some surface modification to combustion chambers and piston tops perhaps.

phaeton
16-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks for info gld gti ;)

So......was this 'BlueMotion' (if it creates confusion with BlueTec then it could be a daft name) bought about for Euro IV compliance?

BlueMotion is just a new spec level (with modifications etc) VW introduced for enviromental/fuel conscience Europe.
Nothing to do with EU4/5 compliance, more to do with some European taxes breaks as well ;)

I'm hoping with next gen of VW diesels (due 2008) BlueTec goes worldwide.
Not sure if it will become standard on all VW diesels yet.

brackie
16-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Common rail soon! VW decided to stick with PD for reliability's sake as the extreme pressures generated in common rail systems had caused problems to other manufacturers. It'll be interesting to see just how much VW improve the CRDI motors built by so many others (and they will!) so I'm looking forward to their launch.

phaeton
18-02-2007, 09:56 AM
Common rail soon! VW decided to stick with PD for reliability's sake as the extreme pressures generated in common rail systems had caused problems to other manufacturers. It'll be interesting to see just how much VW improve the CRDI motors built by so many others (and they will!) so I'm looking forward to their launch.

Me too :D

VW CR Tech for the win ;)