PDA

View Full Version : vRS Question...

Jayse
09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can answer this question with a logical explanation?

Why can't you upgrade the seats of the vRS to the electric driver's seat with memory but you can for the base model 1.8TSI & 2.0TDI.

I guess this question is aimed at the guys from Mentone & Bayford Skoda, but if anyone else on the forum has the downlow on this Q, that would be great!

Will/could this become an option you can tick?

Cheers,

Jayse.

Graybags
09-11-2009, 12:23 PM
I wish that they would! Only thing missing from a near perfect car imo.

woofy
09-11-2009, 01:21 PM
I think the Q is why was it missing on the RS here full stop. I put it in the same category as no steering wheel controls until recently.

dodgey
09-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I wouldn't mind knowing too... I also like the side mirror fold function on the lower cars, and it's not even an option...

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
09-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I have no idea and on face value there doesn't seem to be any logical arguement that i can foresee that would explain this away. I also thought it was odd that the 1.8ltr and 2.0ltr got the electric fold in mirrors as standard but the RS doesn't.

I'll try and call HQ this afternoon and see if i can get an answer on this, it may not prove successful but its worth a try.

Jayse
09-11-2009, 03:31 PM
I have no idea and on face value there doesn't seem to be any logical arguement that i can foresee that would explain this away. I also thought it was odd that the 1.8ltr and 2.0ltr got the electric fold in mirrors as standard but the RS doesn't.

I'll try and call HQ this afternoon and see if i can get an answer on this, it may not prove successful but its worth a try.

Thanks mate, let us know how you go.
Another thing you could help me out with. Can you option up the wheels to the RS-P black 18's?

Cheers,

Jayse.

Jake02
09-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Another thing you could help me out with. Can you option up the wheels to the RS-P black 18's?

Cheers,

Jayse.

I've heard the RS-P wheels are available as I would like them for my RS (especially as mine is white, like the RS-P).

But guys seriously, does it really, really matter if the RS doesn't have electric seats or audio controls? The manual seat adjustment is faster and easier to correct and how hard is it to reach down and play with the radio? Knowing any VW Group product (although maybe not the Audi MMI system), any part of the car is intuitive and easy to use!

On the mirrors though, that is something to be annoyed about. The lack of the electric fold-in function and auto tilt-down is pathetic, especially considering the 2.0TDI/1.8TSI come with it as standard! I recently wrote back to Skoda Aus (after I was in the convinceyourbetterhalf ad) with a 2012 Octavia design (I'm quite arty) and suggestions as to what Skoda Aus should do to achieve greater market interest. RS equipment was a high priority for me, but they haven't even bloody replied after two months. Now, THAT is rude!

Oh, and if you lot want a shock, go to Skoda.co.nz and see the spec list for any model! Wowzaa!!! Although they have no petrols (bar the Fabia/Roomster 1.6FSI because its the only one with an auto) or manuals (bar base Octavia, Roomster/Fabia and special-order RS')...

Jayse
09-11-2009, 04:36 PM
I've heard the RS-P wheels are available as I would like them for my RS (especially as mine is white, like the RS-P).

But guys seriously, does it really, really matter if the RS doesn't have electric seats or audio controls? The manual seat adjustment is faster and easier to correct and how hard is it to reach down and play with the radio? Knowing any VW Group product (although maybe not the Audi MMI system), any part of the car is intuitive and easy to use!

Each to their own Jake.
If the memory seats are like the ones in my .:R36, then it will save the seat & mirror memory for 2 people. Very handy if you're sharing the car on a regular basis with someone else.

Good news on the RS-P wheels..would def look at getting them..if the price is right. Otherwise will just get rims done aftermarket in black or charcoal grey. I first thought the RS-P rims came in 19's.

Cheers,
Jayse.

Graybags
09-11-2009, 04:45 PM
No it doesn't matter that the seats have manual adjustment, but the memory of the electric seat would be great for someone like my wife and I who have a big height difference and share the driving.
I spent ages reading the manual I downloaded from Briskoda/Skoda and was looking forward to tilt and fold mirrors only to realise it was a european model manual I was reading.:mad:

gregozedobe
09-11-2009, 08:05 PM
No it doesn't matter that the seats have manual adjustment, but the memory of the electric seat would be great for someone like my wife and I who have a big height difference and share the driving.

IIRC The electric seats come with a memory linked to a particular key fob, so when you get in the car automatically adjusts the seat AND The mirrors to the setting for that key. As you say, very handy for a car regularly driven by people of different heights.

aslsw
09-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I was about to buy the standard model before getting some overseas work, but I was thinking about upgrading to the RS when I get back. But know you've got me thinking...

What else is different between the RS and the standard models?

1. No fold in mirrors.
2. No option for electric seats.
3. Are there wheel mounted controls?
4. Does the left mirror tilt downwards on reverse?

These may not be deal breakers, but I do love my gadgets and I really do want to know what the differences are (apart from the obvious like the engine).

Jake02
09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
1. No fold in mirrors.
2. No option for electric seats.
3. Are there wheel mounted controls?
4. Does the left mirror tilt downwards on reverse?

These may not be deal breakers, but I do love my gadgets and I really do want to know what the differences are (apart from the obvious like the engine).

I've played with my MFD and I can't get it to tilt despite being in the handbook - and mine is pre-facelfift - (but I think the new one might...) and there are wheel-mounted audio controls on the DSG version. If this is a problem, get a 1.8TSI/2.0TDI and option it up (and then chip it too :D) and it'll have the gadgetry that so many seek!

Skoda Aus is positioning the RS as the sports model, so gadgetry isn't strictly neccessary (maybe thats their thinking?) ???

code618
09-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Interesting to read the comments re gadgetry. I actually prefer cars with less buttons and electrics - less things to go wrong long term and most will add weight to the car. I would trade gadgets for kw's anyday - each to their own though.

dodgey
10-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Unless things have changed...

Octavia Elegance 1.8T = min 98RON
Octavia RS 2.0T = min 95RON

As far as the brochures on the website states, anyway...

aslsw
10-11-2009, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the info. I hadn't picked up the bit about the fuel requirements before.

When I was originally looking at the standard model, the one thing I couldn't stand were the wheels. Unfortunately, the price to option up the wheels was a bit high I thought.

Having had a success of family transporters, this next car is for me (oh, OK, my wife will also be allowed to drive it to keep the kms up). Having had 'no frills' cars all my life, I want a few gadgets to play with. But I doubt whether I will let any of them become deal breakers in the end.

brad
10-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Unless things have changed...

Octavia Elegance 1.8T = min 98RON
Octavia RS 2.0T = min 95RON

As far as the brochures on the website states, anyway...
I'm thinking kok-up. There seem to be plenty of them in VAg brochures
My pre-FL 1.8TSi is Min 95ron - maybe it changed but I doubt it

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
10-11-2009, 09:32 AM

Hi Jayse, the general jist i get is that there is no reasoning to it, it's just the spec's they chose for OZ when negotiating with the factory. I for one am not sure how adding an option whilst in production would effect cost (as the cost is transfered to the consumer) but it is what it is, i'm sure there is a good reason there somewhere.

As for the RS-P wheels i have been told by the HQ area parts manager that they are a dealer accesory option which is good however on the down side it would mean a fair chunk of change to put them on. Again i will speak to HQ and try and get a cost on each rim and the tyres you guys can explore pricing for as it is all down to personal preference tread, make etc

kenvik_7
10-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi all,
After debating for a few months between the Skoda RS and the new GTI, I've finally placed an order yesterday for a white RS (sedan) - DSG with the following options:
Xenons, Rear wiper, MDI, alarm, front parking sensors, and window tint.
All in all quite happy with the price, but the 4 month wait is going to be like a lifetime.
Since my dealer said that the order will only be placed with the factory next monday (they do it on a weekly basis), I have asked him to check the following with Skoda Australia before placing the order:
1) Since my car will be built ground up, why can't I now have an option of the power-folding mirrors (his initial inquiry suggested that I can't even option it on a ordered car)
2) He had no clue about the original Skoda bluetooth (they recommend and fit Fiscon Pro as a dealer option). But I wanted to get at least a price from Skoda for their OEM fitted bluetooth (1Z0 035 729 C)
3) Hill hold control (part PFB - as listed on Skoda NZ RS) - is this standard on OZ RS DSG? since it again isn't even an option on the Australian skoda list - the dealer is again going to find out about this
4) Digital equiliser, amplifier with 12 speakers (part RA1) - again standard on Skoda NZ RS - why can't we option this - with a car getting built?

I was also quite disappointed with the new policy regarding Extended New Car Warranty (which my dealer claims is due to a directive from Allianz). With my Golf, I had the option to purchase the extended warranty anytime before my 3 years warranty ran out. But now I was told to choose it at point of sale, or then you can only choose 'used car waranty' later - anyone else experienced this?

I would really appreciate feedback from fellow Skoda owners and dealers on these queries.

Thanks a bunch.

4thchicken
10-11-2009, 11:06 AM
3) Hill hold control (part PFB - as listed on Skoda NZ RS) - is this standard on OZ RS DSG? since it again isn't even an option on the Australian skoda list - the dealer is again going to find out about this
4) Digital equiliser, amplifier with 12 speakers (part RA1) - again standard on Skoda NZ RS - why can't we option this - with a car getting built?

3. Its definitely not on the 2010 petrol RS DSG wagon. Sort of took it for granted that it would be and was surprised when I rolled back the first few times on slight inclines.
4. The standard (bolero) system is pretty good imo - definitely one of the better car audio systems that I've come across (admittedly not an audiophile)

Jayse
10-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi Jayse, the general jist i get is that there is no reasoning to it, it's just the spec's they chose for OZ when negotiating with the factory. I for one am not sure how adding an option whilst in production would effect cost (as the cost is transfered to the consumer) but it is what it is, i'm sure there is a good reason there somewhere.

As for the RS-P wheels i have been told by the HQ area parts manager that they are a dealer accesory option which is good however on the down side it would mean a fair chunk of change to put them on. Again i will speak to HQ and try and get a cost on each rim and the tyres you guys can explore pricing for as it is all down to personal preference tread, make etc

Thanks for that mate!
Yeah, it's a shame there is no definitive answer to the lack of options/standard gear on the car compared to those offered in NZ. But i know every market is different. (Only mentioned NZ as to it's proximity to Oz)
Thanks for looking into this and thanks in advance for the info on the RS-P rims/tyres.

Cheers,
Jayse
p.s. You got a name or do we just address you as Sales @ Mentone?:P

Jayse
10-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi all,
2) He had no clue about the original Skoda bluetooth (they recommend and fit Fiscon Pro as a dealer option). But I wanted to get at least a price from Skoda for their OEM fitted bluetooth (1Z0 035 729 C)

Thanks a bunch.

Hey kenvik,

Trust me, you don't want the OEM fitted blutooth. I'm assuming it's the same one offered at VW which is a piece of crap. The Fiscon Pro is a great unit. Do a search on here and you'lll find out what it can do. I think the basic OEM unit will only allow answer/hang up with some other minor functions from the steering wheel controls, whereas the Fiscon Pro will bring up your contacts etc on the MFD and your Columbus (VW RNS510)/Bolero (maybe)(VW RCD510) plus a few other functions. I'm suprised Skoda offer you the Fiscon Pro! The catch might be the price though...as i said, if you do a search on it, you should see people getting them aftermarket for @ $800-$1000 fitted.

Good luck with your choice mate and yes, the wait is horrendous!! I waited 6months for my .:R36 to arrive. DEF WORTH THE WAIT THOUGH!!!!

Cheers,

Jayse.

Bayford Skoda
10-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Electronic adjustment can’t be added to the RS/Sports seats because the base of the seat is recessed considerably deeper than the standard Octavia seat and therefore they cannot fit the electronics which control the seat movement.

It’s purely a packaging issue.

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
10-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Electronic adjustment can’t be added to the RS/Sports seats because the base of the seat is recessed considerably deeper than the standard Octavia seat and therefore they cannot fit the electronics which control the seat movement.

It’s purely a packaging issue.

That's interesting, i took a measuring tape (not to dispute this but just to get my head around it) to the RS and the standard Octy we have in the showroom and it all appears to be the same, they even share the same hump spacing (for want of better terminology) with the seat fully flattended or up as high as it can go. Maybe the modify the floor plan to allow for the electrics?!

I also thought that the RS seats were identical in back and base other than the side bolsters, (which would only vary in height not depth) is this not accurate?

I really don't know myself but it seems to be a hard reasoning to follow. I know they gave a similar reasoning to Golf V GTi not having an electric seat option and yet R32 did have it as an option, same seat, same platform?

Also Heath do you know the costings on the RS-P Black 18" alloys that are available as an accesory? Some of the guys here were interested in the cost to fit them here as i believe there isn't and won't be a factory option. Do you knw the costby any chance?

gregozedobe
11-11-2009, 01:25 AM
I was also quite disappointed with the new policy regarding Extended New Car Warranty (which my dealer claims is due to a directive from Allianz). With my Golf, I had the option to purchase the extended warranty anytime before my 3 years warranty ran out. But now I was told to choose it at point of sale, or then you can only choose 'used car waranty' later - anyone else experienced this?

I am also very interested in finding out more about this. When I purchased my Octy last year I was told that Skoda Aus weren't organised for the extended warranty yet, but it would be available any time up to the expiry of the original warranty (same as for VWs). If this is not the case I will be VERY disappointed :mad:

kenvik_7
11-11-2009, 07:50 AM
3. Its definitely not on the 2010 petrol RS DSG wagon. Sort of took it for granted that it would be and was surprised when I rolled back the first few times on slight inclines.
4. The standard (bolero) system is pretty good imo - definitely one of the better car audio systems that I've come across (admittedly not an audiophile)

Thanks for confirming about the lack of Hill Hold Assist. My dealer has come back saying that this can't be optioned on an Oz RS. Nor can the 'Sound System', which I take is equivalent to VW's Dynaudio option can be ordered for my RS!! Its little things like these that take away the joy from completely enjoying your new car...SKODA are you listening...please give customers at least the choice of all options...many are ready to pay even a premium for them.
Wonder if VW is controlling Skoda's ability to offer all options on the RS, the fear a huge crowd shifting to Skoda for its better value for money...

kenvik_7
11-11-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi Jayse,
After reading Swallowtail's summary of bluetooth options for RNS510 (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=31461), and after researching a bit, I think the same can be fitted to the RCD510, or Bolero, I thought that the Skoda kit (9W3 or VW part 1Z0 035 729 C) would be equivalent to the Fiscon Pro, with MFD integration and 'caller list' on the touch screen. To me the added advantage would be an OEM warranty
Also, the Fiscon Pro was offered to me by my Skoda Dealer (not Skoda Australia, sorry for the confusion). The dealer showed me the kit in action on a 1.8T Octavia, and I must say it integrates beautifully with the Bolero. The price offered was $1300 (installed), which I know is high, and so if I can't get the 9W3 kit from Skoda, then I think I'm going to wait till the car arrives and then decide on it.
Anyone knows where I can get the Fiscon Pro fitted (after market) in Adelaide?
Thanks

kenvik_7
11-11-2009, 08:11 AM
I am also very interested in finding out more about this. When I purchased my Octy last year I was told that Skoda Aus weren't organised for the extended warranty yet, but it would be available any time up to the expiry of the original warranty (same as for VWs). If this is not the case I will be VERY disappointed :mad:

Greg, firstly I must say a big thank you for one of your old threads (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=13989&highlight=contract). It helped me a lot from the point of view of understanding how to order a car (since all my previous cars have just been picked from ready available stock).
In terms of the extended warranty for a new Skoda, the information given on Skoda Australia's website is not very clear. For VW it clearly still states that you can purchase this policy anytime before the manufacturer's warranty ends, whereas in Skoda's brochure, it doesn't mention anything about till when can this be purchased.
My dealer was of the opinion that Allianz may have got burned in some VW cases, since a person can just go and purchase an extended warranty, especially after he/she knows that the car has a known problem. So in case of Skoda, they have advised that the new car extended policy can only be purchased at point of sale.
To me this is b*$#****, since VW and Skoda are kind of openly saying that if you get a defective car and if you don't have extended warranty, we now won't offer you full warranty past 3 years!

brad
11-11-2009, 08:43 AM

+1 Will be very annoyed if I can't extend the warranty.

I'm quite concerned about AC compressors, steering racks and something else thats slipped my mind (I now feel like Granpa Simpson). You get my drift anyway.:frown:

gregozedobe
11-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Also i encourage people to voice an opinion on this matter of Salesman and Dealers 'openly' displaying themselves (you would be niaive to think thee are not a lot more who don't disclose the fact). If there is a preference for us not to be here i for one am happy to leave becuase i don't need the greif, just let me know.

Chris,

I strongly welcome your presence on here - only good things can come from it. I don't know why K1W1 doesn't like dealers posting here, maybe he/she feels it is an unwanted invasion of his/her "owners-only territory - who knows ?

I'm sure others will voice their opinion about whether you are welcome here or not (speak up folks !).

I don't expect sales people to know more about a particular product than I do - they are only human and have to cover a wide range of products in many cases, whereas I am often only interested in one particular variant. With all the info available on the web it is very easy to become an "instant expert" if you narrow your focus.

As an example of the sort of things you can help us with, could you please investigate and get back to us about the official Skoda Australia position on extending the "Skoda" warranty on cars that have already been purchased - especially those like mine that were purchased at a time when the extended warranty simply wasn't available to buy at the time of purchase.

Thanks,

Greg C

Transporter
11-11-2009, 10:02 AM
I think that everyone who shares enthusiasm for VW, Skoda, AUDI brand is welcome, opinions that could lead to discussions where members of the forum could feel not welcome or uncomfortable will be dealt with.

brad
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
I think that everyone who shares enthusiasm for VW, Skoda, AUDI brand is welcome, opinions that could lead to discussions where members of the forum could feel not welcome or uncomfortable will be dealt with.

Why aren't you out fixing cars? get to work slacko.

Jayse
11-11-2009, 11:17 AM

hear hear!!
I welcome Owners, Dealers and fans of the above brands to contribute constructively towards this forum!

Cheers,

Jayse.

TuNeS
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM
It appears if K1W1's post has been deleted.

I understand what K1W1 is saying, however I agree with the others. This is a forum enthusiasts participate in. I much prefer the transparent 'i'll find out for you' approach from the Sales people of the dealership than the 'corporate BS' that gets dished out. I see nothing wrong with the constructive points rasied by the dealers.

We all participate in these forums because we are passionate and they should be open for anybody to contribute.

Again, just my opinion.

Transporter
11-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Why aren't you out fixing cars? get to work slacko.

Don't you have a mobile broadband? :biggrin:
Besides it's blooody hot in Adelaide. :)

h100vw
11-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Don't you have a mobile broadband? :biggrin:
Besides it's blooody hot in Adelaide. :)

It's nasty here alright, I just walked round the outside of the house and to move the car into the shade. Even the flies aren't moving here. :cool:

Gavin

dodgey
11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
+1 Will be very annoyed if I can't extend the warranty.

I just came back from a Skoda dealership and I asked about the Extended Warranty, and whether it is available at a later stage other than at the time of purchase, and the dealer said that it can be purchased anytime, so long as the original warranty is active, just like VW...

He said that he has not heard anything about it being a requirement to be purchased at the time of purchasing the car. This is in NSW, btw...

4thchicken
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
and the dealer said that it can be purchased anytime, so long as the original warranty is active, just like VW...

That is what I recall reading on the skoda website a few weeks ago although that line seems to have disappeared since then

dodgey
11-11-2009, 03:29 PM
That is what I recall reading on the skoda website a few weeks ago although that line seems to have disappeared since then

Yeah, but the Skoda website brochure for the Octavia Elegance still states that the car needs min 98RON too...

woofy
11-11-2009, 06:19 PM
From my last look on the website its not a factory warranty but rather a 3rd party thing. Very happy to be wrong.

brad
11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
From my last look on the website its not a factory warranty but rather a 3rd party thing. Very happy to be wrong.

It's factory underwritten by Allianz. ie: better than most of the other extended warranties.

It would be worthwhile to read the PDS and then contact Jez/Jaz/Jiz down at the Wollongong VW dealers to sea what price they can do

dodgey
11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
It's factory underwritten by Allianz. ie: better than most of the other extended warranties.

It would be worthwhile to read the PDS and then contact Jez/Jaz/Jiz down at the Wollongong VW dealers to sea what price they can do

But they don't do Skoda though, do they? I bought my extended warranty for my VW from Jaz... Very accommodating, and helpful...

brad
12-11-2009, 07:31 AM
But they don't do Skoda though, do they? I bought my extended warranty for my VW from Jaz... Very accommodating, and helpful...

Doesn't hurt to ask. It's only an insurance policy - fill in the blank spaces, take money, stamp it, rack off.

Guarantee, london to a brick that Skoda dealers will want to charge full freight.

Might even be worth showing them the discount VW prices (without the contact details) to make them pull their heads in.

I would think a vRs = GTI in price; deisels = diesels; 1.8TSI=1.4TSI (which is way more complicated with the supercharger).

woofy
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice to know that VAG don't want to take the risk of standing behind their own cars. I can see why the extended warranty is out of whack with other makes, it's a lot cheaper when you supply your own parts and can proactively recall bits before it gets expensive.

No matter who they are, 3rd parties will always have to factor in buying parts at the minimum trade prices, whereas a manufacturer has a lot lower cost, labour and parts. They are also at the mercy of whether a maker tends to gear their maintainence/build quality towards lasting the 3 years or for the longer term.

I think at least 1 extra year Skoda warranty can't be that unreasonable to ask.

dodgey
12-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Doesn't hurt to ask. It's only an insurance policy - fill in the blank spaces, take money, stamp it, rack off.

Guarantee, london to a brick that Skoda dealers will want to charge full freight.

Might even be worth showing them the discount VW prices (without the contact details) to make them pull their heads in.

I would think a vRs = GTI in price; deisels = diesels; 1.8TSI=1.4TSI (which is way more complicated with the supercharger).

No, I guess it doesn't.. And yes, more than likely they will charge full freight.

I don't think the 1.8TSI will be the same price as the 1.4TSI though, since it doesn't have the supercharger in it. It's just a plain 1.8 with a turbo, just like the 1.8T Audis...

Most will probably have a dealer insurance that they would want to sell you...

brad
12-11-2009, 06:38 PM
No, I guess it doesn't.. And yes, more than likely they will charge full freight.

I don't think the 1.8TSI will be the same price as the 1.4TSI though, since it doesn't have the supercharger in it. It's just a plain 1.8 with a turbo, just like the 1.8T Audis...

Most will probably have a dealer insurance that they would want to sell you...

I just equalled up the 1.8TSI with the 1.4TSI for convenience. I figured they'd be happy to accept a few extra dollars fat in the deal.

dodgey
12-11-2009, 07:31 PM
I just equalled up the 1.8TSI with the 1.4TSI for convenience. I figured they'd be happy to accept a few extra dollars fat in the deal.

I wonder what the 1.6 would be...

brad
13-11-2009, 06:52 AM
I wonder what the 1.6 would be...

frackin boring?

dodgey
13-11-2009, 12:41 PM
frackin boring?

LOL, that's apt and very funny :)

onyertod
14-11-2009, 11:48 AM

The VW dealer in Wollongong is Southern Classic Cars in Corrimal St.

The same company sell Skoda but from another location, on the Princes Hwy at Fairy Meadow. (next door to the Holden dealer.

The Skoda salesman is Ralph Diaz, I bought my Octy i.8tsi DSG wagon from him and he was great to deal with.

BTW - Sticker inside petrol filler flap says 95 RON.