PDA

View Full Version : 118TSI - General Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

cme2c
09-11-2009, 10:32 AM
We've had the Golf for about 6 weeks now, 2200 kms. It's our first VW. On Saturday I drove it from Penrith to Port Stephens to pick my wife up from her sister's place. What a pleasant way to make the trip. The RNS 510 didn't seem to suffer from the "dead spot" on the F3 that's been reported. I put 2.7Gb of music from my computer on a DVD-R. That works out to over 4 days. Set the playback to mix so if a track came on I didn't want, I just skipped to the next one. It seems the mix is truly random, as the same tracks could come up more than once.

Left the DSG in D most of the way, although dropped it into S when a BMW was trying to push me through the roadworks. Goodbye 118i when the limit changed to 110.

The weather was quite variable, but the auto lights and wipers dealt with it. I especially like the variable sensitivity. This is the fourth car we have had with auto wipers, and it has been a bugbear in the past when the wipers wipe too much, or not enough.

The last car we had had factory HID lamps. The lights in the Golf aren't as good, obviously, but not so that I missed them. I especially didn't miss getting flashed by those who thought we had high beam on.

On the way back 10:30, I spotted a Highway Patrol commode doing a U-Turn North of the roadworks. By the time I reached them he was right behind me. I set the cruise to 84 (glad I knew the speedo inaccuracy). He followed me for about a km, then went on his way.

Supreme
11-11-2009, 07:26 AM
Great to see so many new 118TSI owners around now. I drove mine out of the dealership at the beginning of July, and saw one or two for the first few months of ownership. The other day however, I set a new record, spotting 6 new Mk VI's in one day.

I just hit 16,000 kms and have my first service tomorrow. I've booked in at Nepean Motor Group, has anyone had any experience with their servicing? I bought the car from Chatswood, but they quoted over $100 more for the same service.

All in all my Golf has been really pleasant to drive. I'm taking him on his first trip out of NSW next week, can't wait. I have had no problems with mine, apart from the fact that the odometer clicks over too quickly. :P

Oh, just a quick question to anyone who might know.. My car didn't come with any visible antennae, which is fine as it gives the car a clean look and the radio reception is good anyway. I've seen at least two Golf VI's around with the small shark-fin antenna's though. Are these mods or do the newest cars come with them now?

O2inmyatm
11-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Those are for GPS fitted Golfs if I'm not mistaken.

Supreme
11-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Those are for GPS fitted Golfs if I'm not mistaken.

Makes sense. ^_^

ox518
11-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I just hit 16,000 kms and have my first service tomorrow.

Hi, i am pretty interested in as you have done 16,000 already, have you got any squeak noise like someone else mentioned?

Cheers

cme2c
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Great to see so many new 118TSI owners around now. I drove mine out of the dealership at the beginning of July, and saw one or two for the first few months of ownership. The other day however, I set a new record, spotting 6 new Mk VI's in one day.

I just hit 16,000 kms and have my first service tomorrow. I've booked in at Nepean Motor Group, has anyone had any experience with their servicing? I bought the car from Chatswood, but they quoted over $100 more for the same service.

All in all my Golf has been really pleasant to drive. I'm taking him on his first trip out of NSW next week, can't wait. I have had no problems with mine, apart from the fact that the odometer clicks over too quickly. :P

Oh, just a quick question to anyone who might know.. My car didn't come with any visible antennae, which is fine as it gives the car a clean look and the radio reception is good anyway. I've seen at least two Golf VI's around with the small shark-fin antenna's though. Are these mods or do the newest cars come with them now?

My car has factory GPS so I can confirm the shark fin antenna is for the GPS. I bought my car from Nepean, and just had the 1500k inspection done so I can't comment on full service, but they dealt with my minor concerns ok.

Lams
11-11-2009, 04:01 PM
your Bedford had auto wipers!! ?

Supreme
11-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi, i am pretty interested in as you have done 16,000 already, have you got any squeak noise like someone else mentioned?

Cheers

No I've watched that vid and my car doesn't whine like that. It has the twin charger squeal but I can't hear it with the windows up.

My car has been trouble free, like I'm sure the great majority of Volkswagens are. On the internet things are always blown out of proportion, because the people who are trouble-free you generally don't hear from.

Flipper Dog
11-11-2009, 07:19 PM
I've booked in at Nepean Motor Group, has anyone had any experience with their servicing?

They have just changed ownership the last couple of months back which saw some changes to their service area but over all I thing it has been for the better. The girls in customer service are friendly and know their job, it is refreshing to see service reps who know how to translate the techs talk into everyday language for the customer.

It is a large multi vehicle dealership with VW at the top of their prestige end and as a VW customer you are treated accordingly but that is the service offered to all customers, be a 10 years old Nissan Pulsar or a new Touareg R50.
I initially went there because their pricing was good but their attitude to the customer is outstanding so I use them for both my VW’s.

Parts are also slightly cheaper than some of the other “bigger” dealers in Sydney.

If you book ahead they have replacement vehicles to use, there is a shuttle bus service to take you into Penrith or you can sit in their lounge and have a complimentary feed and coffee.

cme2c
12-11-2009, 03:15 PM
your Bedford had auto wipers!! ?

Yes, I reach forward, turn the switch and they come on automatically!:P

No, the cars with auto wipers are : 2003 Peugeot 307, traded (when it tried to kill my wife) on a 2007 Honda Accord Euro Luxury Navi. That was a bit big for her, so we traded that on the 118 TSI. I have a Peugeot 206 GTi. That's four!

Supreme
12-11-2009, 03:20 PM
They have just changed ownership the last couple of months back which saw some changes to their service area but over all I thing it has been for the better. The girls in customer service are friendly and know their job, it is refreshing to see service reps who know how to translate the techs talk into everyday language for the customer.

It is a large multi vehicle dealership with VW at the top of their prestige end and as a VW customer you are treated accordingly but that is the service offered to all customers, be a 10 years old Nissan Pulsar or a new Touareg R50.
I initially went there because their pricing was good but their attitude to the customer is outstanding so I use them for both my VW’s.

Parts are also slightly cheaper than some of the other “bigger” dealers in Sydney.

If you book ahead they have replacement vehicles to use, there is a shuttle bus service to take you into Penrith or you can sit in their lounge and have a complimentary feed and coffee.

Well I went there today and left happy. The girls were nice, like you said. I didn't hang around as I had work nearby, however it was ready on time and they txted me beforehand to confirm. I'd recommend them and I'll be going back there when I reach 30,000km.

They were true to their word and gave me the quoted price of $340 which seemed to be the best around.

First service @ 15,000km and I'm happy.

nicandlance
29-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Curious to see those who have purchased the new 118tsi, and what they think of their purchase. Are you happy, are you not?
Don't forget to add pics and state what you got - manual, DSG, options.....

guliver_twist
29-11-2009, 09:38 AM
Best car I have ever driven..makes my day every time I get into it :)

cme2c
29-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Love it. Quiet, comfortable, powerful, economical and a pleasure to drive.118 TSI DSG RNS510, Dynaudio, sensors, rear view camera, parkaid.

cwcarruthers
29-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Had mine for a week now, and love it. It really is a great car, quiet, comfortable, powerful, beautifully designed interior (exterior ain't bad either).

I got an Arctic Silver 118 TSI with Sport pack + leather, dynaudio, MDI.

The ONLY issues are:
1) Really, really annoying rattle in the driver-side door (maybe B pillar). Almost a squeaking between two materials, but rattly, if I put my arm on the arm rest, it stops. Only shows up on coarse-chip bitumen.
Does anyone else have this, or have any suggestions for fixing it?
It sounds like it is perhaps on the passenger side as well, but it's hard to tell when driving by myself!
2) Slightly less refined when the aircon is on, in that there is more shudder when moving slowly from a standstill (e.g. parking).

nicandlance
30-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Had mine for a week now, and love it. It really is a great car, quiet, comfortable, powerful, beautifully designed interior (exterior ain't bad either).

I got an Arctic Silver 118 TSI with Sport pack + leather, dynaudio, MDI.

The ONLY issues are:
1) Really, really annoying rattle in the driver-side door (maybe B pillar). Almost a squeaking between two materials, but rattly, if I put my arm on the arm rest, it stops. Only shows up on coarse-chip bitumen.
It sounds like it is perhaps on the passenger side as well, but it's hard to tell when driving by myself!
2) Slightly less refined when the aircon is on, in that there is more shudder when moving slowly from a standstill (e.g. parking).

Ask pologti18t about the rattle... he seems to have an answer for everything it seems.... :banana:

geojack555
30-11-2009, 07:01 AM
I have a 118TSI bought early June this year. I was struck with 3 major issues (1 brake failure & 2 DSG issues..now my DSG getting replaced). Anyway, I think I am one of the unlucky ones who had such issues, but overall the car is really good to drive- awesome package! Had driven 5th gen golf, 1st gen Jetta, Mazda3, Honda Accord Euro etc..But 118TSI stands out the best among the group in drive quality! I love my car..Hope it should be OK once my DSG gets replaced :)

sillygogo
30-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Got mine 118Tsi DSG since June, some finishing issues including: Ticking noise near drivers door; loose visor; auto dimming mirror stop working; clonking brake pedal; loose window seal.

Mechanical issues: Squeak on gear change; Suspension too bouncy for me.

Most of the finishing issues were resolved with warranty, except for the ticking noise. I hear it on many Golf 6 including the new GTi. I think its a common fault, VW classified it as "characteristic of the car" :D .

There are some news at the German forum on a possible fix for the squeak noise on gear change, hopefully Oz will get it soon. Suspension, well, should of got the "sport pack" option.

Overall, great car to drive, features rich, nice interior feel, very smooth, quite and awesome performance. However, the DSG does need to get use to. The acceleration timing is somewhat unpredictable at times. The car is getting better everyday, if you are getting one.....pay the extra and get the sports pack.

cwcarruthers
30-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Got mine 118Tsi DSG since June, some finishing issues including: Ticking noise near drivers door; loose visor; auto dimming mirror stop working; clonking brake pedal; loose window seal.

Mechanical issues: Squeak on gear change; Suspension too bouncy for me.

Most of the finishing issues were resolved with warranty, except for the ticking noise. I hear it on many Golf 6 including the new GTi. I think its a common fault, VW classified it as "characteristic of the car" :D .

There are some news at the German forum on a possible fix for the squeak noise on gear change, hopefully Oz will get it soon. Suspension, well, should of got the "sport pack" option.

Overall, great car to drive, features rich, nice interior feel, very smooth, quite and awesome performance. However, the DSG does need to get use to. The acceleration timing is somewhat unpredictable at times. The car is getting better everyday, if you are getting one.....pay the extra and get the sports pack.

Thanks sillygogo. That ticking sounds exactly like my problem. It's unfortunate if it is common... hopefully there is some resolution. The thing that's driving me mad is that I can't figure out exactly what the cause is. If I know where it is, there is a chance of dreaming up a solution.

I test drove the standard suspension with 16" rims, and as I said, bought the sport package with 17" rims. I didn't think the non-sport suspension was too bad, but I prefer the extra control of the sports suspension. It's definitely not limo-like, but refined and controlled nonetheless.

Finally, I also agree about the power delivery. It is a bit unpredictable, but still fun, and I think I am slowly getting more in tune with it. It seems that the DSG changes behaviour depending on throttle openings, so that as long as you're fairly consistent when driving (e.g. stick mostly to small throttle inputs, or mostly to larger throttle inputs, for the duration of a trip), it tends to behave more as you would expect.

I'm addicted to the rush when the turbo really kicks though... it's hard not to floor it everywhere :-)

apom
30-11-2009, 09:15 PM
The ONLY issues are:
1) Really, really annoying rattle in the driver-side door (maybe B pillar)

I have the same issue in my R36. Turns out the rattle is the ball-bearings in the passenger seatbelt retention detonator. Its a known problem and you can get them to replace it. When the seatbelt is in use it wont rattle. Give it a try and see if it works!

mikinoz
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
If there is any more off topic clutter posted in this thread there will be infractions issued. There is no need to berate a new forum member - for the amount of effort to argue, you could paste a link to the previous threads, or ask a moderator to merge them.

No more warnings.

sillygogo
01-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Thanks sillygogo. That ticking sounds exactly like my problem. It's unfortunate if it is common... hopefully there is some resolution. The thing that's driving me mad is that I can't figure out exactly what the cause is. If I know where it is, there is a chance of dreaming up a solution.

Finally, I also agree about the power delivery. It is a bit unpredictable, but still fun, and I think I am slowly getting more in tune with it. It seems that the DSG changes behaviour depending on throttle openings, so that as long as you're fairly consistent when driving (e.g. stick mostly to small throttle inputs, or mostly to larger throttle inputs, for the duration of a trip), it tends to behave more as you would expect.

I'm addicted to the rush when the turbo really kicks though... it's hard not to floor it everywhere :-)

cwcarruthers:
Does the noise more after the car is parked in the sun? If so it could be from the black piece of plastic outside of the car, around the rim. Because when I move it around with the window down, it made a similar crackly, ticking like noise. When I said that to the VW service manager, he said its not related and a ticket has been logged with VW service for investigation. hmm, when I called up 1 month later and talk with another person about the ticket status, they said no ticket was log. They were nice and booked the car in to re look at the problem and couldn't rectify it. So i guess just wait.

Oh, if you hear a small squeak over bumps, then check that your rear seats are tightly pushed back.

Hmm, addicted to the turbo rush, :D ...fun X 2: try putting the car into S at start and around bends then back to D once your reach the road speed limit, I am sure you already know it.

APR ya golf = Fun X 2 X Oh yeah !!!!!

Stelex
02-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I love it, it's my first new car. One thing I can't get used to, though, or rather can't figure out - the accelerator. It's just so unbelievably stiff and loose at the same time. No matter how I press it, the car feels ever so jumpy.

If you press it gently, it goes a little, then feels like it's choking a little before it fully engages into the second gear, then goes. If you press it harder, it just runs away from you. I don't know, weird ... Any tips?

Here are a couple of photos: exterior (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stelex/4140279410/) and interior (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stelex/4140278686/).

It's a silver leaf 118 TSI with DSG.

Corey_R
02-12-2009, 08:08 AM
Welcome Stelex. How long have you had the car for?
It's something you get used to I think. My previous Golf GTI had an APR Stage 2 upgrade, and my current Polo GTI has the APR Stage 1 upgrade, and both cars would keep you on your toes with the accelerator pedal usage (the Polo moreso than the Golf). It can be quite an adjustment coming from the many other cars I've had driven before these.

cwcarruthers
02-12-2009, 05:01 PM
I love it, it's my first new car. One thing I can't get used to, though, or rather can't figure out - the accelerator. It's just so unbelievably stiff and loose at the same time. No matter how I press it, the car feels ever so jumpy.

If you press it gently, it goes a little, then feels like it's choking a little before it fully engages into the second gear, then goes. If you press it harder, it just runs away from you. I don't know, weird ... Any tips?

Here are a couple of photos: exterior (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stelex/4140279410/) and interior (http://www.flickr.com/photos/stelex/4140278686/).

It's a silver leaf 118 TSI with DSG.

My 118 TSI is my first new car too.

I find the throttle similar to what you have described. Interestingly, it seems that the pause from first to second in sedate driving has gotten worse since I got to 300-400 kms (currently getting close to my first 1000 kms).
The urge it provides when I do use more throttle has similarly but inversely changed. I definitely know what you mean about it running away from you!

The dealer told me something during the test drive about the DSG learning, and so I believe its behaviour is influenced by yours - if you use more throttle it will be more responsive, for example.
Does anyone have any hard facts about how this works, if at all? I think the dealer mentioned it reset every 60 kms or something...

sillygogo
02-12-2009, 08:47 PM
cwcarruthers, Stelex:

The initial hesitation is common with DSG. It does take little get used to. Try not to push it too hard at taking off, or you will get a delay then a mad machine, with tyre spin and wild. Try letting go of the brake little earlier, just like driving a manual, like 0.5-1 second before you want to proceed. Give little gas till the car moves then go for it. That seems to work for me.

Just some words for caution, if you are on an incline then the hillstart assist kicks in. In that case, letting go of the brake too early might cause your car to rolls back. I use the hand brake and repeat the above in this situation.

Logger reported that APR stage 1 upgrade, minimised the DSG initial take off hesitation. http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=34296

Have fun

MaccaTSI
03-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Very happy, loving the car!! We have a united grey DSG with sports pack and ACC.

This is the first non manual car for my wife and I so does take some getting used to but the DSG is great. My wife was hesitant about not having a manual, but now she doesn't want to go back.

Good call on the handbrake Sillygogo. I have a stupid question... I'm used to being able to just put the handbrake on at lights, I'm assuming it's ok to do this with DSG, or should it be in park or something as well?

geojack555
03-12-2009, 07:01 AM
it would have been nice to get the 'auto hold' function like in Passat! That works brilliant.

sillygogo
03-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Good call on the handbrake Sillygogo. I have a stupid question... I'm used to being able to just put the handbrake on at lights, I'm assuming it's ok to do this with DSG, or should it be in park or something as well?

I think the gear changed to Neutral after you apply the brake for a few seconds. My believe is keep your foot on the brake and fine to use the handbrake. But if foot off then maybe put into N and handbrake. Like an normal Auto, if it is sitting in D and you use the handbrake then the car is fighting itself.

Passat Auto hold, is that simular to Hillstart assist?

Corey_R
03-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Passat Auto hold, is that simular to Hillstart assist?

yeah, different names for the same thing.

I thought that it was included in DSG cars... but maybe it's only included at the GTI level and higher?! Oh well :)

cwcarruthers
03-12-2009, 08:30 AM
yeah, different names for the same thing.

I thought that it was included in DSG cars... but maybe it's only included at the GTI level and higher?! Oh well :)

Yes, the 7 speed DSG has Hill Start Assist. It holds the brakes for up to 2 seconds after you take your foot off the pedal. It only works on gradients greater than 5%.

Stelex
05-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Can this be disabled or reconfigured so it holds on steeper road, e.g. 10% and up?

gregozedobe
05-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Yes, the 7 speed DSG has Hill Start Assist. It holds the brakes for up to 2 seconds after you take your foot off the pedal. It only works on gradients greater than 5%.

Can this be disabled or reconfigured so it holds on steeper road, e.g. 10% and up?

I know it is over 45 years since I first learnt percentages, but has the "new math" changed things so much that 10% is no longer "greater than 5%" ? ;)

Flighter
06-12-2009, 09:04 AM
I know it is over 45 years since I first learnt percentages, but has the "new math" changed things so much that 10% is no longer "greater than 5%" ? ;)

Perhaps Stelex finds 5% too shallow and would prefer the Hill Start Assist not kick in until about a 10% grade.

Corey_R
06-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Perhaps Stelex finds 5% too shallow and would prefer the Hill Start Assist not kick in until about a 10% grade.

Yeah - that's the only way I could think that would make Stelex's question make sense.

Stelex
06-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Sorry for the confusion guys, shallow is the best word describing the feeling. So, any idea if this can be changed?

Maybe it's still early (2 weeks and 1300 km) but the 'Not happy, Jen!' feeling is growing with me when it comes to the DSG transmission. I may be wrong, I may learn to like it with the time, but that's how I feel now.

No matter how I treat it, taking off is just way too clunky. There is that 'choke' between the 1st and 2nd gear that is impossible to handle. You don't press hard, it chokes, you press hard - the car runs away from you. Very very frustrating, especially in round-abouts.

Also, the 7th gear, It takes the mortgage on the whole gearbox, it doesn't switch back to the 6th as it should, you really have to press accellerator hard, then goes straight into 4th or so. Frustrating as well. I wish there was something like overdrive-off to disable the 7th. Yes, I know, there is sports mode, but that one is useless for what I'm talking about.

I thought my gearbox is dodgy, so I went to test drive another car (identical to mine) and the DSG behaves exactly the same.

While I had my Magna, the gear box was somewhet clunky and I was always praising my wife's Nissan Tiida, that little automatic gear box is absolutely perfect. Yesterday I drove it for the first time since I got my Golf, and Tiida's gearbox puts the VW DSG to a shame.

So I have to give it some more time (like I have a choice, ey ), but if I were buying Golf now, I'd definitely go for the manual.

nicandlance
06-12-2009, 10:12 AM
I've always preferred a manual........

sillygogo
06-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Stelex:

The DSG take little to get use to, I used to hated how it hesitate to take off and keep on going to th 7th gear. Now, I am getting better and having it in 7th still have the required power/torque and save fuel..so win win..just little weird at the start but it has grown on me. The quick change from 1st to 2rd still bugs me, maybe they can remap it with the next software upgrade to change around 3000rpm instead of 2000rpm. That would make it smoother.

Manual always more fun, however, I found the Golf V GTi, DSG defininately better. Golf 6 GTi, oh yeah, better than the DSG.

Give it more time and hopefully those bofin at VW will come up with a new update to smooth it out even more, especially from 1st to 2rd.

logger
06-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Sorry for the confusion guys, shallow is the best word describing the feeling. So, any idea if this can be changed?

Maybe it's still early (2 weeks and 1300 km) but the 'Not happy, Jen!' feeling is growing with me when it comes to the DSG transmission. I may be wrong, I may learn to like it with the time, but that's how I feel now.

No matter how I treat it, taking off is just way too clunky. There is that 'choke' between the 1st and 2nd gear that is impossible to handle. You don't press hard, it chokes, you press hard - the car runs away from you. Very very frustrating, especially in round-abouts.

Also, the 7th gear, It takes the mortgage on the whole gearbox, it doesn't switch back to the 6th as it should, you really have to press accellerator hard, then goes straight into 4th or so. Frustrating as well. I wish there was something like overdrive-off to disable the 7th. Yes, I know, there is sports mode, but that one is useless for what I'm talking about.

I thought my gearbox is dodgy, so I went to test drive another car (identical to mine) and the DSG behaves exactly the same.

While I had my Magna, the gear box was somewhet clunky and I was always praising my wife's Nissan Tiida, that little automatic gear box is absolutely perfect. Yesterday I drove it for the first time since I got my Golf, and Tiida's gearbox puts the VW DSG to a shame.

So I have to give it some more time (like I have a choice, ey ), but if I were buying Golf now, I'd definitely go for the manual.

Here's something you can try.

For the 1st to 2nd change try starting off in tiptonic. ie slide the selector to the left. When you are ready for second just flick it to the right (D) and it will take second and continue on its automatic way. I find this works well for stopping and starting in traffic. It avoids some of the jerkiness you can get when you back off the pedal with both clutches simultaneously slipping when creeping slowly in stop start traffic.

My car generally only downshifts to 2nd in most driving and will only drop back to 1st at or near standstill, so a little surprised you are seeing yours in 1st going around roundabouts.

What makes you say the engine is choking? You sure it is not just a perception of choking due what you perceive are low revs for the situation you are in. If it is all working properly the SCharger should be there in a flash to build the revs again. Unlike many other engines it is designed to chug along at low revs and pull away quickly when asked.

Stelex
06-12-2009, 05:41 PM
so a little surprised you are seeing yours in 1st going around roundabouts.

No, no, it doesn't go in the first all the way around, he-he, it's when you're entering the roundabout from a stand still, getting into the gap in traffic, it either chokes (see below) or jumps wild.

What makes you say the engine is choking? You sure it is not just a perception of choking due what you perceive are low revs for the situation you are in. If it is all working properly the SCharger should be there in a flash to build the revs again. Unlike many other engines it is designed to chug along at low revs and pull away quickly when asked.

It goes like this. You're standing, then you press accelerator. it pulls normally for a second, then switches into the second gear. When this happens, there is a painful moment of about 1-1.5 second where there is barely any power, it feels as it is litteraly choking, like there is no fuel supply, (yes, it's because the very low revs), but then it goes smoothly afterwards. This is very painful when joining busy traffic. Very frustrating.

If I press the accelerator hard, either from a stand-still or from when I first notice that it's choking, it just goes wild.

kevin118
06-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes I’m very happy with my 118.

I really like the feel of the car, the power if you want it and how quiet it is. I’ve noticed the fuel economy improving (car settling down? Cooler weather?) over the last 3 weeks and now my 20Km mixed-conditions commute is done at 6.3 to 6.8 L/100Km if no air-con and no drag racing.

Like some of the comments here I am still getting used to the DSG particularly having changed from a manual car. Some of the gear selections are odd, eg today I was cruising at 50-60, foot off the gas down a hill, next thing I know I’m at 3000 Rev/min in 3rd gear!

Only mistake I made was to get MDI. Little did I know that it isn’t compatible with iPod (unless you spend another $80-odd on a VW cable for iPods) but worse than that it takes up nearly all the central ‘stowage’ compartment. I’m wondering how much it would cost to rip the MDI out so that I can use it for putting things in. With the AUX IN jack that every car has I can use my iPod perfectly well. In hindsight it’s all I needed.

Corey_R
06-12-2009, 08:16 PM
If I press the accelerator hard, either from a stand-still or from when I first notice that it's choking, it just goes wild.

Seems like you need to find that position between 'normal' and 'hard' ;)

Stelex
06-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Hehe, that's the trick, there is none, that's what bugs me :-(

sillygogo
06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes I’m very happy with my 118.
Some of the gear selections are odd, eg today I was cruising at 50-60, foot off the gas down a hill, next thing I know I’m at 3000 Rev/min in 3rd gear!

It could be a safety thing. I had a similar experience going down the Toowoomba range. For those who doesn't know it, its a really long and steep descent.

Was going down at 80km/h, then at the steeper part I let go of the accelerator and foot on brake ready. After a few seconds, the car goes into 2nd gears and hold 60km/h. This made going down the range alot easier but so much louder from engine braking. I eventually putting it to manual and stayed in 3rd with some normal braking.

Corey_R
07-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Hehe, that's the trick, there is none, that's what bugs me :-(

Aah - you'll get use to it. Time and patience. My Polo GTI with it's APR ECU seems to have a far more sensitive throttle than my Golf GTI with APR ECU update did. It took my a while, and even today if I'm really tired or distracted it can be 'interesting' whilst accelerating, but you get used to it. You'll be happy once you find the balance.

Golf Mark 6
09-12-2009, 01:37 PM
I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely love my car.

Now all I want are some black rims and an APR chip...

cwcarruthers
09-12-2009, 01:43 PM
I've come to the conclusion that I absolutely love my car.

Now all I want are some black rims and an APR chip...

Spooky... I couldn't have put it better myself!

Golf Mark 6
09-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Spooky... I couldn't have put it better myself!

Bulk purchase discount?

cwcarruthers
09-12-2009, 01:52 PM
I think I'll do some more work on the finance repayments first... :-(

Corey_R
09-12-2009, 02:01 PM
It's ok guys, APR is 15% atm, get yourselves an early Christmas present :D

pologti18t
09-12-2009, 05:34 PM
It's ok guys, APR is 15% atm, get yourselves an early Christmas present :D

Well worth the money if its anything like the effect the APR upgrade had on the Polo GTi

cwcarruthers
09-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm sure it'd be a hoot with the APR upgrade - but what about the 7sp DSG. Can't it only take 250Nm, and if so, won't the upgrade blow it up?

Corey_R
09-12-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm sure it'd be a hoot with the APR upgrade - but what about the 7sp DSG. Can't it only take 250Nm, and if so, won't the upgrade blow it up?

It can take a whole lot more than that. Just like the 6sp DSG in the Golf GTI can handle the 430NM of the APR stage 2 upgrade.
In Europe they even have replacement clutches for the DSG which allow it to handle up to and over 650NM

rageR
17-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Hi guys,

Just got my Revo Stage 1 ecu upgrade today, i was intially intending
on getting the apr stage 1 ecu upgrade as there is a xmas special with them
at the moment as well. But as i found out when i went to get it today was
that there wasn't any software for my car just yet? Even tho APR claimed on there website that the mk6 1.4 tsi twincharger ecu was availiable, The guy claimed that all ecu are different and all have different codes so i'd either have to wait till someone with same coding as mine got it first then ill be able, or i take my ecu out and send it to brisbane to get my ecu reflashed and be without a car for 1-2 weeks.

Apart from that problem with apr not being able to offer me the reflash the Revo stage 1 is quite good. Intially took about 30mins to do the install.

Alot more torque/power .
No more lag from stop.
Nice rumble from exhaust now.

Now just waiting to get my gruppe m intake. =]

http://xposed.com.au/shop/volkswagen-golf6-tsi-p-143.html

Anyone here got this intake already?

mr gee
17-12-2009, 10:19 PM
thats interesting. Logger has an APR stage 1 in his car.

I've got Bluefin in mine

Dubman
17-12-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm with you Nic. My previous car was a Mk V GTi DSG and I though the transmission was pretty average. So I'm back to a manual now and loving it.

franjae
17-12-2009, 10:51 PM
One thing I've learnt with the DSG is you cannot left foot brake, and throttle at the same time. It confuses the hell out of it and will limp for a few seconds then takes off. I once took off from a busy intersection after slowly edging out braking with my left and getting ready to go with my right. When I was ready to take off, the car wasn't and it virtually crawled out to the middle of that intersection before suddenly taking off :eek: !

I don't brake with my left foot anymore hence no more issues!

kimiraikkonen1a
18-12-2009, 02:04 AM
Love the car, quality drive, very happy with the purchase, only regret is not getting the sports pack(well worth the money), would have enjoyed the stiffer suspension, I find the standard suspension a bit too bouncy for my liking, having said that the stock suspension is still quite good.
I also wish you could get the paddle shift steering wheel here in Aus, i was quite dissappointed to find out that it was not an option here as it is in UK/Europe.

DSG gearbox - has gotten better over time, adapting to my throttle application, however I still dont get the instant power I crave from standstill. For this reason I have been considering the the APR stage 1 upgrade but am a little hesitant cuz the DSG has a max torque rating of 250Nm...? and have warranty concerns with regards to this and other engine components that may be affected as a result of the APR upgrade.

Maverick
18-12-2009, 05:30 AM
One thing I've learnt with the DSG is you cannot left foot brake, and throttle at the same time. It confuses the hell out of it and will limp for a few seconds then takes off. I once took off from a busy intersection after slowly edging out braking with my left and getting ready to go with my right. When I was ready to take off, the car wasn't and it virtually crawled out to the middle of that intersection before suddenly taking off :eek: !

I don't brake with my left foot anymore hence no more issues!

You can left foot brake at the lights, I do it all the time so I can take off as soon as the lights turn green and never have a problem.

This is covered in the manual where it explains that braking kills the accelerator input except under a few conditions. APR and a few others can re-enable this via race programs (and normal programs if desired).

Corey_R
20-12-2009, 09:31 AM
DSG gearbox - has gotten better over time, adapting to my throttle application, however I still dont get the instant power I crave from standstill. For this reason I have been considering the the APR stage 1 upgrade but am a little hesitant cuz the DSG has a max torque rating of 250Nm...? and have warranty concerns with regards to this and other engine components that may be affected as a result of the APR upgrade.

It's been said before, and I don't know why people think that 250Nm is the max, but this is just not true. It can take much more. There is no way VW would release a car with 250NM of torque mated to a gearbox that can only handle 250NM of torque. You never release a component which is operating at it's limit, as that's just asking for trouble.

Dubman
20-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi guys,

Just got my Revo Stage 1 ecu upgrade today, i was intially intending
on getting the apr stage 1 ecu upgrade as there is a xmas special with them
at the moment as well. But as i found out when i went to get it today was
that there wasn't any software for my car just yet? Even tho APR claimed on there website that the mk6 1.4 tsi twincharger ecu was availiable, The guy claimed that all ecu are different and all have different codes so i'd either have to wait till someone with same coding as mine got it first then ill be able, or i take my ecu out and send it to brisbane to get my ecu reflashed and be without a car for 1-2 weeks.

Apart from that problem with apr not being able to offer me the reflash the Revo stage 1 is quite good. Intially took about 30mins to do the install.

Alot more torque/power .
No more lag from stop.
Nice rumble from exhaust now.

Just having a look at http://www.revotechnik.com/products/softwareProduct.aspx?pvID=1196 and they claim a power increase to 163kw - is that for real? The others (APR, Bluefin etc) are all around the 150kw mark.

Did you get it from Peak Performance? Can you switch it back to stock mode easily?

Liquid
22-12-2009, 07:25 AM
The ONLY issues are:

Hi,

I just picked mine up. Black Sports pack, RNS-510 with dynaudio, RVC, Fiscon bluetooth, sunroof and park assist. Love it!

However, i have discovered 3 issues with the car already.
1. The door rattles on the driver-side. Has anyone gotten this fixed?
2. The rear windscreen seems to leak washer fluid whenever i use the front windshield washer fluid
3. My RNS-510 doesn't accept SDHC when the manual says it does.

Hopefully this is all covered under warranty

cwcarruthers
22-12-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi,

I just picked mine up. Black Sports pack, RNS-510 with dynaudio, RVC, Fiscon bluetooth, sunroof and park assist. Love it!

However, i have discovered 3 issues with the car already.
2. The rear windscreen seems to leak washer fluid whenever i use the front windshield washer fluid

Hopefully this is all covered under warranty

The rattle is very annoying. I would love to know of anyone that has this fixed, and what the issue is. I have mine booked in to get looked at next month - hopefully it can be resolved.

Corey_R
22-12-2009, 08:58 AM

1. A few MK6 owners have mentioned this around the forums. I'm sorry, but I haven't paid attention to whether they've had it fixed.
2. My MKV did that as well. It happened just after the washer fluid container was filled and then was ok after a day or two (of usage of the washer fluid).
3. Just get the dealer to do the flash upgrade of the RNS-510 and it'll be fine :)

paolob
25-12-2009, 12:44 PM
my auntie just picked a mk6 118tsi sports pack a few weeks back and i got the chance to drive it last week. Very nice car! I REALLY like the interior especially the dash! makes the interior of my mk5 look abit dissappointing =\ i didn't quite like how the aircon vents look this time around thou... The suspension and ride is good and when driving, i couldnt even tell i was going faster then what i thought i was going alot of the time! very impressed from a little 1.4l
however i think the launch control on these things is pretty gutless. A tune on one of these things would make it alot more enjoyable imo but trying to encourage my aunty about that is another thing since she 'thinks' its already too fast for her already hahah
I still enjoy my GIAC'd pirelli ALOT better thou =P

mr gee
25-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Mine rattled early in the ownership but it sort of just went away over time (mine's nearly 20,000km). On the Italian VW forum, there was mention of door trim rubbing aganst the B pillar but not sure if this is the case with mine.

Happens to every Mk 6. Have to live with it unless someone puts in a valve it wouldn't go away

Firmware updates to 2660 as on mine allows SDHC. I use a 12 GB SD card on mine.

Hope this helps

Liquid
26-12-2009, 12:23 AM

Mine rattled early in the ownership but it sort of just went away over time (mine's nearly 20,000km). On the Italian VW forum, there was mention of door trim rubbing aganst the B pillar but not sure if this is the case with mine.

Happens to every Mk 6. Have to live with it unless someone puts in a valve it wouldn't go away

Firmware updates to 2660 as on mine allows SDHC. I use a 12 GB SD card on mine.

Hope this helps
Thanks mr_gee, bit annoying to see some washer fluid leak, but its not as annoying as the door rattle for a new car.

re: RNS-510, how do i know what version i'm running? and will the dealer upgrade the firmware?

mr gee
26-12-2009, 02:15 PM
on some versions, you press the setup button for more than a minute. it will first display the setup menu but continue pressing and it should then display a supplemental menu that shows version info amongst other things.

Maverick has a website:

http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rns-510-in-car-entertainment

alternatively,:

http://vwnavi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

mine looks like this:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/P030909_2046-1.jpg

ctan
18-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Are these problems peculiar to the 118TSI's? Does anyone with the MK6 GTI's have the same problems? I am still undecided whether to go for a highly spec 118 TSI or a basic GTI. I seem to be getting the feel that the GTI has less issues.

RW1
19-02-2010, 08:58 AM
It goes like this. You're standing, then you press accelerator. it pulls normally for a second, then switches into the second gear. When this happens, there is a painful moment of about 1-1.5 second where there is barely any power, it feels as it is litteraly choking, like there is no fuel supply, (yes, it's because the very low revs), but then it goes smoothly afterwards. This is very painful when joining busy traffic. Very frustrating.

Had this on my new Scirocco 1.4TSi DSG. DSG is always adjusting to your driving but just sometimes it gets beyond self-recovery, Under these conditions th eonly way out is to reset the box and make it re-learn.

Did the 7speed DSG "reset"/basic learning to mine. Drove it straight afterwards in DSG "D" mode from start all the way through the gears to 7th and back down - speeds 0 - 70mph. All the problems above now gone, right foot now feels connected to the wheels. Very smooth in all gear changes and no real lurching anymore or fluffed take-offs. Gears are more sensibly selected by the DSG as well for the driving conditions.

Reset on 7 speed DSG:
With Engine and Gearbox at or near the normal working temperature.
No igniton on, key out of steering lock. Press accelerator full home until the switch is felt at the bottom and hold it with the switch "on" for 10+ seconds. I used 20 seconds to be sure.

Now drive it normally in DSG "D" mode but ensure you drive this sequence. In the first few minutes take it from low speed (20mph) all the way upto 70mph and 7th gear and then back down to a stop. Coming back down can be the next junction a couple of miles down the way so no need to block the highway. Let it creep at 5mph-ish under no throttle condition while in 1st gear for a few feet (20 feet) to learn that. Job done.

C.

DracZ
19-02-2010, 12:55 PM
on some versions, you press the setup button for more than a minute. it will first display the setup menu but continue pressing and it should then display a supplemental menu that shows version info amongst other things.

Maverick has a website:

http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rns-510-in-car-entertainment

alternatively,:

http://vwnavi.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

mine looks like this:

mr gee - Is that pic from your 118TSI? When was it delivered if you don't mind me asking? Trying to figure out what version RNS-510 the latest Golfs are shipping with, cheers.

Timmy10
19-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Reset on 7 speed DSG:
No igniton on, key out of steering lock. Press accelerator full home until the switch is felt at the bottom and hold it with the switch "on" for 10+ seconds. I used 20 seconds to be sure.

Now drive it normally in DSG "D" mode but ensure you drive this sequence. In the first few minutes take it from low speed (20mph) all the way upto 70mph and 7th gear and then back down to a stop. Coming back down can be the next junction a couple of miles down the way so no need to block the highway. Let it creep at 5mph-ish under no throttle condition while in 1st gear for a few feet (20 feet) to learn that. Job done.

C.[/QUOTE]

Has anyone tried this?

Is it something official, cause ive never heard of a dealer say this

mr gee
19-02-2010, 07:49 PM
mr gee - Is that pic from your 118TSI? When was it delivered if you don't mind me asking? Trying to figure out what version RNS-510 the latest Golfs are shipping with, cheers.

The pic is off my car but my RNS is not OE delivered but something I picked up off a group buy

RW1
19-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Reset on 7 speed DSG:

Has anyone tried this?

Just to add a little more. I found the procedure on here, its documented several times if a search is done but...... I came across a comment from "Logger" that appeared to cast doubt on it. So I decided to conduct a few of tests.

As above the DSG 7 Speed Mechatronic Control Unit is always adjusting to your driving patterns long and short term.

I drive in urban traffic crawl 80% of use of the car in any given week. ie, average journey time is 15 to 20 mins, distance is 6 to 8 miles and average speed is 20mph with a road speed limit at 30mph.

At junctions, the throttle didn't respond on setting off, press, nothing for about 0.25 seconds, reaction was to press more and the engine spun into life, as did the wheels! Gear changes from 1st to 2nd were always a bit lurchy as were some higher ratios if accelerating at mid throttle settings.

So with that in mind I first of all changed my driving habits, ie. instead of casually driving along with very light throttle all the time, I drove more agreessively on the throttle, chose faster routes. Did this for two weeks. Effect: Nothing

Next, drove the set-up sequence above without the throttle/no ignition action. Did it twice two weeks apart and assessed for two weeks each time. Effect: Nothing

Then did the throttle/no ignition for 20 seconds action and immediately drove the set-up sequence I wrote above in the following 10 minutes. Effect: Result!
The engine immediately responded to pressing the throttle when setting off at junctions. It felt connected directly to what I was doing with my right foot. The 1st to 2nd gear change happened smoothly, all other gear changes cannot be detected, even under fairly hard acceleration. Releasing the foot brake, the gearbox immediately enages "creep" (5 - 6mph) mode whereas it used to think for a second before enaging the clutches.

I cannot find anything official on the web WWW about this. If someone has a copy of the VW's ELSA workshop programme dated post-2007 edition (mine only goes to 2003), what does it state about conducting a "Basic Setting" sequence on the 7 speed DSG in the gearbox section of the maintenance manual?

The 6 speed DSG "Basic Settings" is well documented on the Ross-Tech VAGCOM web site and in that case, it is necessary to use the car's diagnostics with something like VAGCOM. I borrowed the drive sequence from there as on here from what I could find, there was only mention of pressing the throttle but no after set-up process of learning for the Mechatronic Control Unit.

This is the 6 speed drive learning sequence documented by Ross-Tech Wiki (VW Golf/Jetta/Bora (1K/5M)) after using VAGCOM to reset values in several parts of the 6 speed DSG:

"Defined Test Drive
Suggested test drive after replacing the mechatronic or successful basic setting:

ATF Temperature 30...100 °C (86...210 °F).
Drive in Tiptronic Mode from stand still up to 6th Gear.
While doing that make sure to drive in Gears 3 or 5 for approx. 5 minutes and also in 4 or 6 for approx. 5 minutes.
The engine speed window for all gears is 1200 - 3500 RPM (for clutch calibration).
Perform one sharp braking followed by a full throttle acceleration (oil return check).
Evaluate creep and starting-off points."

C.

DracZ
19-02-2010, 10:25 PM
At junctions, the throttle didn't respond on setting off, press, nothing for about 0.25 seconds, reaction was to press more and the engine spun into life, as did the wheels! Gear changes from 1st to 2nd were always a bit lurchy as were some higher ratios if accelerating at mid throttle settings.

I noticed the exact same issue when test driving the 118TSI, will definitely give your method a go once I take delivery of the car, cheers!

Corey_R
20-02-2010, 07:31 AM
"Defined Test Drive
Suggested test drive after replacing the mechatronic or successful basic setting:

While doing that make sure to drive in Gears 3 or 5 for approx. 5 minutes and also in 4 or 6 for approx. 5 minutes.
The engine speed window for all gears is 1200 - 3500 RPM (for clutch calibration).
Perform one sharp braking followed by a full throttle acceleration (oil return check).

C.

Seriously... where in NSW is this 'test track' that the VW dealers would be using to perform this procedure! To drive from a standstill, and make their way up to 6th gear, but taking at least 10 minutes to do so because they need to drive in 3 or 5 for five and then 4 or 6 for five. hehe

pologti18t
20-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Maybe this trick is acuatally recalibrating the throttle/throttle position sensor.

RW1
20-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Maybe this trick is acuatally recalibrating the throttle/throttle position sensor.

Possibly but why does it affect the clutch engagement in creep mode and initial set-off.. The engine RPM hasn't changed. Also noticed the DSG clutches engage immediately on foot brake release no matter whether setting off or creeping along with no throttle pressed. As said it needs someone with ELSA to look at the DSG set up (& throttle).

C.

logger
20-02-2010, 07:52 PM
"Defined Test Drive

C.

RW1, What you are describing here is the process to fast adapt the DSG6 AFTER it has been successfully reset to basic settings. As you have alluded there is a similar but distinctly different sequence for the DSG7. It of course omits the oil return check (as it has dry clutches) and adds quite a bit of other stuff.

The test run is a perfectly valid thing to do to speed up DSG adaption post reset, which would happen over time in any case. But importantly this drive process in itself does not reset the DSG. To this I think you alluded to as well.

My skepticism is purely about the idea of holding the accelerator to the floor for ten seconds with the IGN OFF or On or however different people explain to do it. (Maybe with with rear left door open or the fuel door open)....and then your DSG is miraculously reset and it will behave much better :rolleyes: This is the bit I reckon is BS ;) My guess is you would actually need a diagnostisic tool like VagCom to reset the DSG to basic settings. As always I am happily to be proven wrong though if someone can quote a source to say this does reset the gearbox to basic settings.

Actually I will just test it myself with my VagCom and will report back, but I am highly skeptical that it will reset the adaptions.

With regard to you test runs you did, none of them were actually complete tests for the DSG7. So it may just be that by the time you had done the latter one that included the throttle to the floor with IGN OFF that all the missing items on the test checklist had actually been complete. Reversing and using tiptronic for example are required and you may have used them in the interim. So your accelerator trick may have had no bearing on the result. You could have honked the horn instead of pressing the accelerator to the floor with the keys in your lap and you may have seen the same improvement.

Assuming this Pedal to the floor to reset process is indeed an urban myth... I believe it may have evolved from a step in the fast adaption process to drive with different pedal positions. Including momentarily at 100% pedal so that the controller can recognise the value for full acceleration. Maybe the myth has grown out of that?
This requirement is similar to the way all the other actuators for gear selection and clutches must cycle so the controller can recognise and adapt to their respective end positions.

It is also possible that the mechatronic controller in some way continuously treats the required items in the fast adaption drive like a check list. So completing all items with out an actual reset via a diagnostic tool may significantly speed adaption. So there may be benefit to doing the drive sequence without doing a DSG reset, when compared to another vehicle that has not recently "seen" all the test item occur.

RW1
20-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Cheers Logger, I'm still unsure as I can't find anything on the net about this other than this forum website. But the character of the car has distinctly changed for better and now a dream to drive.

Didn't do all that Ross Tech drive I posted. Just up the gears to 70 mph, drive at 70mph for 2 miles, then back down all the gears to 1st, coming to an absolute halt on brakes followed by a creep of about 20 feet. The acceleration section was about half throttle from the 20 - 70mph, 2nd to 7th. Same without the full throttle depression holding/ignition off had no effect.

Drove the car this morning and still it drives differently. The gear changes are seamless and you can't tell its changing unless you look at the dash indicator. It also holds 1st gear longer upto 2,000 rpm where as before it couldn't wait to get to second and always changed immediately as setting off.

Also notice that went accelerating under 1/4 throttle it holds the engine between 1,800 & 2,400 rpm in 2nd to 6th gears where are before it was much broader 1,400 - 3,000rpm.

So it be interesting to hear about your investigations as my VAGCOM PC is u/s at the moment.

The key really is what is in the VW ELSA service manuals???????

C.

logger
21-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I reckon this thread is going way off the original topic. I am extremely happy with my 118TSI by the way.

So I have continued the DSG7 reset discussion over here at DSG7 OAM Vag Com data logs (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showpost.php?p=464594&postcount=26)

vwsp
21-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Yes - I am very happy with my 118TSI. The experience has been tarnished with a few problems, though:

A stuck (broken) speedometer needle at with just a few hundred k's on the clock (fixed - instrument cluster replaced)
B Pillar door plastic clicking/ticking noise (fixed - dealer insulated plastic)
Creak under the car when accelerating at low speed (fixed - something installed incorrectly which was rubbing on the exhaust heat shield?)
"Defect Brake Servo" warning message appears on startup sometimes (not fixed and waiting to hear back from dealer)

Hopefully this will be the extent of problems! I can now enjoy the car and having previously owned a Golf 5 2.0TDI I am very impressed with the Golf 6 118TSI. Everything is either much more refined, smoother and/or quieter.

The Park Assist feature is probably a novelty but does the job as expected. Friends just don't believe you when you tell them that the car can park itself - and then the steering wheel takes over - and they sit there in disbelief!

The Sport Pack with the 17 inch wheels give a firm but still very comfortable ride. Usually larger wheels begin to destroy ride quality but this suspension is great!

Speaking of which, must go and take it for a spin!

Stelex
04-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Reset on 7 speed DSG:

C.

Has anyone tried this?

My biggest concern was that when I set off from a stand-still I had two options:

1. press accelerator really hard, and the car almost runs away from you. Pretty ugly and unsafe.

2. press acc as you would with any other car, i.e. normally, the car takes off nicely, then after about 1 second switches to the 2nd gear. THIS is where the problem is - there is a gap of about half a second before the second gear engages fully. It feels like engine chokes, like there is no fuel supply, it just sucks, it's ugly and totally unsafe when merging at a busy roundabout.

So I did as described above. Pulled over, took the key out of ignition, pressed acc all the way down and clicked the switch and held it there for about 20 seconds.

(Some forum members rubbished this method, but many electronic devices work with push-and-hold for 2 or 5 seconds or longer. The key out of lock also makes sense, I remember the instructions to set the clock on my Magna was to take the key OUT of ignition, then press the up and down arrows to set the clock. Or press and hold both simultaneously to reset the minutes to zero. I think my Camry had something similar when programming central locking, one door or all doors)

Then I started the engine, took off in "D" and drove it very gently accelerating to about 110km/h, kept it there for a minute or two, then gently slowed down to the full stop. This did include rather longish D1 creep of about 200m at almost no speed.

Then I turned the engine off, pulled the key out and waited a few seconds before starting it again and taking off.

I've done this about two weeks ago and made about 800km meanwhile.

The result? Every time I take off from standstill I cannot help myself but to whisper - BEAUTIFUL! The car goes soooooo smooth, it's no joke, perfect switch and perfect pull from D1 to D2 to D3 and all the way up to D7.
Absolutely perfect. Whatever it resets, whatever it does - it does it right.

There ...

118TSI
12-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Interesting result you have had there, been driving an B7 Audi A4 2.0 7sp DSG as a loner car will my car arrives, and if you just floor it from take off, no response for about 1.5 secs, dangerous if your crossing a road. and jerky when driving at very low speed

Gonna try your method when I get mine tomorrow! will report back with pics, and a report!

Stelex
12-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I had my Golf (118 TSI DSG) in for warranty repairs, three things; very noisy air-con unit and not cooling efficiently, squeaky metal noise when pressing accelerator and clicking in the b pillar. Picked up the car and they said: The air-con noise is not air con, it's super charger and it's within tolerance level and air-con is cooling OK, the metal noise is normal sound of the magnetic clutch and they lubricated the door seal to fix the clicking noise from the b-pillar. Ahem ...

Asked to get one of the better mechanics to sit with me for a drive.

Showed him that the air-con IS the noisy part, that is stops when I switch it off and that it has nothing to do with s-charger as it does it all the time, including idling. And it's about 3 times louder than the engine, so it's cactus. He agreed we need to replace the unit.

Demonstrated the noise when pressing accelerator, he said that the noise of this is scary and it's far louder than the click you hear from magnetic clutch on s-charger, this is like a squeak of metal against metal, very high pitch, very loud. So it needs to be replaced (whatever it was).

The clicking noise came back after two days, loud and clear, just as lovely as always, so they'll be taking off the plastic big time.

They said they will order the parts and it may take a little while since some of them need to come from Germany (!?). They said they will contact me when the parts are here to arrange appointment and a loan car. It's been 3 weeks now, will call them on Monday as my 15k service will be due in about few weeks.

Needles to say, air con is completely dead, the air that comes through is normal outside or inside air and you can hear gargling sound (out of gas).

Also asked them how much the 15k service costs, they said $409 ... laughed it off as a mechanic who services VW and Audis in Brisbane quoted me $250. They said though - let us know when it's due, maybe the boss can do something about the price ... so let's wait and see.

So, pretty Not Happy Jen - but will wait and see how it goes with the service and warranty repair. Also got the software update/recall letter today, will do it at the same time.

russ83
13-05-2010, 08:05 PM
YES! Car is AWE-SOME!

But, unhappy with
- vw dealer delivery service
- rear quarter paint work fubar-ed on delivery, hence 2 trips to the other side of sydney for a buff aka repair, not good enough

hooba
13-05-2010, 08:33 PM
YES! Car is AWE-SOME!

But, unhappy with
- rear quarter paint work fubar-ed on delivery, hence 2 trips to the other side of sydney for a buff aka repair, not good enough

Where did you buy you car?

118TSI
13-05-2010, 08:53 PM
LOVING IT!!! Picked it up this afternoon, and have loved every minute of it, only issue was the delivery guy kept showing me the windscreen wipers(sensing wipers, hi, lo, and when car is parked under the tree function) wanted to punch him in the face for putting the wipers on a dry windscreen, drive is awesome, even though have only done 20kms in the car, looking forward to tomorrow, and going for a drive in the eastern subuirbs of sydney for a better drive,

Bottom line from all the dramas of the dealership experience, cant wipe the smile off the face on how good this car is!!!!

LOVING IT!!!! :)

roy
13-05-2010, 08:55 PM
good car overall...my wife and i like it!!!

2volks
13-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Had mine since April 09. Couldn't be happier. It is brilliant around town, even better on long trips. Make sure you get the Sports Pack.

118TSI
13-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Had mine since April 09. Couldn't be happier. It is brilliant around town, even better on long trips. Make sure you get the Sports Pack.

Agreed with the Sports Pack!

ozgti
14-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Seriously... where in NSW is this 'test track' that the VW dealers would be using to perform this procedure! To drive from a standstill, and make their way up to 6th gear, but taking at least 10 minutes to do so because they need to drive in 3 or 5 for five and then 4 or 6 for five. hehe

F3. Go from Pennant Hills rd to F3 on-ramp: 80kph, then up to 110kph. Turn around at Berowra or Brooklyn and start again (probably better to do it on the return run as Brooklyn on ramp has a slow bit before going up the gears.

CrimDub
15-05-2010, 11:11 PM
I got my Golf wagon 118tsi on tuesday and have had the brake servo warning as well! pls post when you find out some info?

Stelex
10-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I had my Golf (118 TSI DSG) in for warranty repairs, three things; very noisy air-con unit and not cooling efficiently, squeaky metal noise when pressing accelerator and clicking in the b pillar. Picked up the car and they said: The air-con noise is not air con, it's super charger and it's within tolerance level and air-con is cooling OK, the metal noise is normal sound of the magnetic clutch and they lubricated the door seal to fix the clicking noise from the b-pillar. Ahem ...

Asked to get one of the better mechanics to sit with me for a drive.

Showed him that the air-con IS the noisy part, that is stops when I switch it off and that it has nothing to do with s-charger as it does it all the time, including idling. And it's about 3 times louder than the engine, so it's cactus. He agreed we need to replace the unit.

Demonstrated the noise when pressing accelerator, he said that the noise of this is scary and it's far louder than the click you hear from magnetic clutch on s-charger, this is like a squeak of metal against metal, very high pitch, very loud. So it needs to be replaced (whatever it was).

The clicking noise came back after two days, loud and clear, just as lovely as always, so they'll be taking off the plastic big time.

They said they will order the parts and it may take a little while since some of them need to come from Germany (!?). They said they will contact me when the parts are here to arrange appointment and a loan car. It's been 3 weeks now, will call them on Monday as my 15k service will be due in about few weeks.

Needles to say, air con is completely dead, the air that comes through is normal outside or inside air and you can hear gargling sound (out of gas).

Also asked them how much the 15k service costs, they said $409 ... laughed it off as a mechanic who services VW and Audis in Brisbane quoted me $250. They said though - let us know when it's due, maybe the boss can do something about the price ... so let's wait and see.

So, pretty Not Happy Jen - but will wait and see how it goes with the service and warranty repair. Also got the software update/recall letter today, will do it at the same time.

Sooooo ... after about 5 or 6 weeks and about three or four calls to the delaership, they finally called me on Monday to advise the parts have arrived, so we booked the service and repairs for 16th of June. I've done just a touch over 15,000 km so it all fits nicely with the first regular service.

Then ... yesterday morning driving to work, taking off the lights and speeding up to around 60-70 km/h I felt a tiny jitter when going from 4 to 5th gear. Oh, I thought ... then another jitter when switching from 5th to 6th ... and finally when it switched to 7th just kept rattling. The warning light came on (exhaust system), the engine tripping over itself big time and giving barely quarter of normal power, so I turned into the side street and parked.

A few phone calls later we towed the car to the dealership (not the same as the one mentioned above). Got a call today - blown engine, the software issue, as the dealer suspected when we brought it in. He said it will be about 4 weeks if there are any engines in the national warehouse (Sydney?), or longer if they need to order from Germany. There you go.

By the way, I thought I saw a topic about blown engines here but can't seem to find it now, am I blind or what? EDIT: Of course I am blind, just found it now :-)

djooz
11-06-2010, 03:45 PM
YES! Car is AWE-SOME!

But, unhappy with

At least it was only the rear quarter, my stealership f**ked every panel with swirls, buffed it out, but I have lots of scratches, the reply from the stealership? " thats what you get with black cars" When it should of been "we are too careless to handle black cars."

BTW love the car, 118 wagon, hate VW dealerships, especially the management, ignorant f**ks.

prise
11-06-2010, 08:10 PM
118 TSI DSG, 4 mths, 6000 km, no problems other than the buzzes/rattles in the trim on rougher roads. I've averaged 6.4 l/100km since new and 6.0 on the last couple of tanks so very happy with the economy. Power is good when I need it and right up there with the average 6 cylinder. The high speed stability is excellent as is the consistent steering feel. The brake power assistance isn't so good as it doesn/t have a linear response and feels over-assisted for light braking. Great interior room for a car of its size and very quiet on the road.

Stelex
11-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Sooooo ... after about 5 or 6 weeks and about three or four calls to the delaership, they finally called me on Monday to advise the parts have arrived, so we booked the service and repairs for 16th of June. I've done just a touch over 15,000 km so it all fits nicely with the first regular service.

Then ... yesterday morning driving to work, taking off the lights and speeding up to around 60-70 km/h I felt a tiny jitter when going from 4 to 5th gear. Oh, I thought ... then another jitter when switching from 5th to 6th ... and finally when it switched to 7th just kept rattling. The warning light came on (exhaust system), the engine tripping over itself big time and giving barely quarter of normal power, so I turned into the side street and parked.

A few phone calls later we towed the car to the dealership (not the same as the one mentioned above). Got a call today - blown engine, the software issue, as the dealer suspected when we brought it in. He said it will be about 4 weeks if there are any engines in the national warehouse (Sydney?), or longer if they need to order from Germany. There you go.

By the way, I thought I saw a topic about blown engines here but can't seem to find it now, am I blind or what? EDIT: Of course I am blind, just found it now :-)

Went to the dealership today to pick up the loan car and was surprised to get a new Jetta - 2,500 km on the odometer. Saw my golf with the guts torn out of it (the front bumper and the the engine missing). Now about a month or so of waiting for my baby to get healthy again. :-(

Cossor
11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Blimy
Do I have to get a mobile phone before taking delivery of new Golf?
Was only too glad to give my old one back on retiring
(Even though company offered to pay cost!!!)
But concernd in case breakdown between Sydney and Alice Springs
(Do VW answer calls after hours? What DOES happen in a country area?)
getting anxious
Cheers

hooba
11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Blimy
Do I have to get a mobile phone before taking delivery of new Golf?
Was only too glad to give my old one back on retiring
(Even though company offered to pay cost!!!)
But concernd in case breakdown between Sydney and Alice Springs
(Do VW answer calls after hours? What DOES happen in a country area?)
getting anxious
Cheers

Don't get anxious, get a Footos. :)

YouTube cures all (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hQiioAAeUY)

darkfriend
12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Picked up my new 118TSI a week ago. It runs beautifully. Was a little annoyed that the interior floor wells were dirty, there appeared to be some chocolate on the centre arm-rest and a dusty black hand-print on the ceiling! It also needed a wash (kept having to wipe marks off during my inspection to see what they were). The bottle opener was also missing.

The first thing I did when I got home was vacuum it. Washed and waxed it the next day. Felt I shouldn't have had to do this for a new car. Even my trade-in (12yo corolla) was a lot cleaner!!

Cossor
12-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Perhaps the dealer gave a few short test drives to potential customers?

cameronp
12-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Picked up my new 118TSI a week ago. It runs beautifully. Was a little annoyed that the interior floor wells were dirty, there appeared to be some chocolate on the centre arm-rest and a dusty black hand-print on the ceiling! It also needed a wash (kept having to wipe marks off during my inspection to see what they were). The bottle opener was also missing.

The first thing I did when I got home was vacuum it. Washed and waxed it the next day. Felt I shouldn't have had to do this for a new car. Even my trade-in (12yo corolla) was a lot cleaner!!

That's a bit rubbish. FWIW I also felt that the dealer I bought from must have rushed a bit on the detailing - there were a couple of stickers left on the front windscreen and the side windows hadn't been washed properly - but it was very minor compared to what you describe.

darkfriend
12-06-2010, 08:48 PM
I feel I should write a letter to the dealership... not sure who to address it to??

hooba
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I feel I should write a letter to the dealership... not sure who to address it to??

To the Dealer Principal.

Brian
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Hi to All,
This reply could also relate to the TSI engine failure post but I think it belongs here. There are a lot of negative posts in here but Id like to be different.
Have had my TSI since just before Christmas last year and have had nothing but joy from it!
Just completed a round Qld road trip from Brisi to Karumba and back in 2 weeks and the dub sang like a song.
5,100 kms in 2 weeks, average fuel consumption 6.3 l/100kms. Mostly sat on 120ks and averaged on all legs > 100km/hr for that consumption.
Passing triple trailer road trains no problem. Kick down the DSG would drop 2 or 3 gears, redline in each and the car would be doing 140/150 by the time you got past the cab of the road train.
Highest I did was 170 when passing 3 trains in a row west of Winton. Was surprised to see the speed as the car had a "big car feel" about it. Very stable
I did have the ECU flash done before I left so was interested to see the fuel consumption hasn't deteriorated with the flash.
To all that have ordered this car, hold the faith, these are a serious touring car, even away from the freeways.
I hope, along with the rest of the TSI owners that the ECU upgrade will fix the engine failure problem.
Oh, BTW I always use 98 RON when I can get it. (Not always available in western Qld but you can usually get 95 - the increased consumption of fuel though is in the order of .5l/100ks)

darkfriend
25-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Hi all,

Have had my 118TSI for 3 weeks now and I find myself very happy. No problems with the car and a joy to drive.... I even enjoy cleaning the damn car!

My partner is so impressed by it that I'm taking her for a test-drive of the new Polo tomorrow (Wangara VW... not where I bought mine!). Hopefully we'll even meet the legendary Dermot of Wangara...

guliver_twist
25-06-2010, 01:51 AM
i share the same joy everyday.. Love my car!!

Stelex
30-06-2010, 10:08 PM
Went to the dealership today to pick up the loan car and was surprised to get a new Jetta - 2,500 km on the odometer. Saw my golf with the guts torn out of it (the front bumper and the the engine missing). Now about a month or so of waiting for my baby to get healthy again. :-(

Picked up my Golf today with the new engine fitted. Didn't notice any difference in driving it, but then again I didn't drive too much, just from VW to work and then home, 20-ish minutes total. Noticed they have misalligned the front bumper so the joint between that goes from the headlight towards the front wheel well is about 1mm on one end and about 6mm on the other. Damn, have to go back tomorrow to have it realligned.

citywok
04-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Only done 580km so far. Was expecting a mountain of rattles and other issues leaving the car yard when I picked it up, but guess what, none. Still not sure about the DSG, going from 1st to 2nd seems a little erratic sometimes and then there's the take off issue which has been previously mentioned, but I can live with that. The car is built like a tank and is very solid on the road. Could have bought a Mazda 3 for a lot less, but I think if you're prepared to part with the amount of money being asked for one, you shouldn't regret it (unless your engine blows up). GTI in 3 years time

Golf 118TSI DSG Sports pack Reflex Silver

Ryan_R
27-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I've had my car for just over 6 weeks now. Have done over 4,000kms since then, and have fitted the RN510 and 9W3 Bluetooth myself. Upgraded from a 1992 Toyota Corolla hatch, so no surprises that I love this car.

DSG with beige leather interior.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/09/21072010020-1.jpg

Will have to take some more pics one day (needs a wash first)

(Excuse the bump.)

Cossor
27-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Damn. That looks REALLY good.
Now really jealous. Regretting I did not order leather!
Enjoy it you lucky dog!

cameronp
28-09-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah, the beige leather looks tops. The demonstrator I test-drove had it, and made the car feel a lot brighter inside. The only weird thing that's evident in that photo is that the headlight switchgear is a different colour from the panel around it! Tsk tsk VW.

ObOnTopic: 8000km on mine and still enjoy driving it.

Ryan_R
28-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Hehe thanks guys. When the owner first described it to me as 'blue with beige interior' my first reaction was more or less 'eww yuck'. It looks more cream inside. Bit like an Alfa or Ferrari (well, that's what I tell myself anyway) :p

When you unlock the car and the lights come on at night time - the light reflects really well off the beige colour (have no problems finding the ignition for example).

kaktusdigital
20-12-2010, 07:37 AM
I think it's been about a month and a half & 3,000kms since I've taken delivery of the 118tsi. So far, its been pretty much perfect aside from a few niggles which I'd love to hear from other owners if they have had the same. From the info gathered on this forum , the DSG does adapt overtime to how you drive? i remember taking it from the dealer and steping on the accel & getting a slight pause before getting quick boost into 2nd gear onwards. That has now stopped - strange? It's all very docile now.

Another issue (this is most likely driver error) I'm on a slight incline waiting to merge into a 70km road. I take my foot off the brake and apply a firm bit of pressure to move forward while turning slightly. - I find the car stutters and feels as if it's running over about a metre or two of very bumpy rocks. This smooths out once I've straighten out.

Other than those issues I'm finding handling just superb and the extra little oommf to be there at most times when you need it. If the 118 is this good, I can't imagine how much better the GTI would be! :) Oh, and the fact that when ideling at the lights, i find it difficult to even hear that the engine is on .thats pure bliss! Getting very excited about upgrading to Stage 1 now.

I'd love to hear from other 118 owners any particular niggles or cool things which make you smile. :)

prise
20-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Another issue (this is most likely driver error) I'm on a slight incline waiting to merge into a 70km road. I take my foot off the brake and apply a firm bit of pressure to move forward while turning slightly. - I find the car stutters and feels as if it's running over about a metre or two of very bumpy rocks. This smooths out once I've straighten out.

The way you describe it, it could be wheelspin with the traction control cutting in. The DSG has a lower first gear than most cars and with the torque of the supercharger I find it will chirp and try to spin the front wheels if you give it a firm prod on the right foot, particularly if the car is on a uphill or transverse gradient.

I've been very happy with the combination of the twincharger engine and DSG and once the gearbox had fully adapted to the clutch characteristics, the lag reported by some road testers just isn't an issue, it just keeps getting better as I get more k's on it (I have 14000 now after 10 months)

Performance is great (I got a 7.6 sec 0-100 average measured both ways using a data logger with TCS off), fuel economy with a rotten commute has averaged 6.3 l/100km from new, high speed stability is excellent, its impressively quiet on the freeway - the list of positives is pretty long.

I pretty much use 98 RON fuel all the time now. It seems to give slightly better economy on the highway than 95 RON, however I don't see much if any difference around town (probably because the extra octane rating won't save you fuel at idle).

The only downside is that the interior is more prone to interior trim noise than the previous 2 cars I've owned (both mazdas) and the seats could provide more lateral and lumbar support (mine is a bog standard comfortline spec car).

Ryan_R
20-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Aparantly the car adapts every 60km from what I've heard, which honestly is one of the features I could do without. The APR Stage one helps by removing the DSG lag in first gear (although can be a bit rough/jerky if you're not used to it). The other benefit is if the car adapts to slow-paced driving in traffic, you can reset it back to its most responsive state by switching programs (you can switch to Program 2 while still in the adapted Program 2), you just need to pull over and turn off the car to do it.

Your description of the car statturing sounds like TCS is responding to wheelspin as well, although I occasionally have felt the DSG stutter when accelerating hard whilst I've been doing very slow speeds (i.e. overtaking a truck doing 30 up a mountain).

The seats I have come with lumbar which is good, I often find that mid-way through a long journey I will adjust it's position as I slump further :)

mr gee
20-12-2010, 09:10 PM
46000km on mine (half of which with bluefin stage 1) and apart from the infamous supercharger clutch squeak, has been uterly reliable :)

redondo
22-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi,
I'm looking at purchasing a 118tsi with sports pack n stuff & would like some advice from current owners.

My questions are:

sports cloth or leather? (will eventually have little ones in the back) I prefer the look of sports cloth but is leather easier to clean? How does leather look after 1 or 2 years?

are golfs roomy enough for a baby seat (or 2) in the back & pram n crap in the boot?

If there is a seperate thread for family golf owners, please direct me! I'm over reading threads about gti's & R's and mod chips n crap. No offense to them intended.

Corey_R
22-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Hi redondo, welcome to the forums.

There is a thread called Is the Golf R a practical family car? (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/golf-r-practical-family-car-thinking-trading-my-135i-48094.html) which I recommend you have a look at. Whilst it was about the Golf R, the 118TSI offers the same amount of room as the Golf R, except in the boot, where the 118TSI has an additional 100 litres due to 10cm additional floor depth (not having AWD taking up space there and all).

As you can see from that thread, there is different opinions on what consistutes "enough space".

As for leather, I'm off the opinion that it is easier to keep clean, and that it wears pretty well if you take care of it. You can spill food or drink on it and then just wipe it up with a damp cloth (or a baby wipe!), whereas liquid will start immediately soaking into cloth seats, food and chocolate gets into the fibres and stains the cloth etc etc (scotchguard and new nano fabric sealants help here though). About the only thing you have to be careful with when you have leather is not to scratch the surface or "stretch". So having kids take off their soccer boots before they walk over the back seat is a good idea ;)

Anyway - hope the info helps :)

redondo
22-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Much appreciated Corey :)

drkcld
03-04-2011, 11:19 AM
2011 Volkswagen Golf 118TSI Comfortline VI

Hi i'm new here, and I was thinking about getting one of these because of its fuel efficiency with a bit of power. I'm just wondering if there are much problems with this model? and i've also been hearing rumors that they might discontinue is this still a rumor?

Would be great if you guys could help me :P

MariusGT
03-04-2011, 11:31 AM
umm?

Volkswagen Golf won 2009 Wheels COTY.
Golf 118TSI won 2009 drive COTY.

INTERNATIONAL ENGINE OF THE YEAR AWARDS
2010 Winners:
1-litre to 1.4-litre: Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger
International Engine of the Year 2010: Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger

2009 Winners
Green Engine of the Year: Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger
International Engine of the Year 2009: Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger

2008/07/06

Best New Engine: Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger

and an absolute SWAG of other awards locally and internationally. i don't think "discontinued" is the correct term.
there will of course be a MKVII golf in the next couple of years.. i'd call that a model update. and i would guess (based on the HUGE number of awards and plaudits it has received) the 118TSI engine isn't go anywhere fast.

does that answer your question?

Cher
03-04-2011, 06:21 PM
We've had the Golf for about 6 weeks now, 2200 kms. It's our first VW. On Saturday I drove it from Penrith to Port Stephens to pick my wife up from her sister's place. What a pleasant way to make the trip. The RNS 510 didn't seem to suffer from the "dead spot" on the F3 that's been reported. I put 2.7Gb of music from my computer on a DVD-R. That works out to over 4 days. Set the playback to mix so if a track came on I didn't want, I just skipped to the next one. It seems the mix is truly random, as the same tracks could come up more than once.

Left the DSG in D most of the way, although dropped it into S when a BMW was trying to push me through the roadworks. Goodbye 118i when the limit changed to 110.

The weather was quite variable, but the auto lights and wipers dealt with it. I especially like the variable sensitivity. This is the fourth car we have had with auto wipers, and it has been a bugbear in the past when the wipers wipe too much, or not enough.

The last car we had had factory HID lamps. The lights in the Golf aren't as good, obviously, but not so that I missed them. I especially didn't miss getting flashed by those who thought we had high beam on.

On the way back 10:30, I spotted a Highway Patrol commode doing a U-Turn North of the roadworks. By the time I reached them he was right behind me. I set the cruise to 84 (glad I knew the speedo inaccuracy). He followed me for about a km, then went on his way.

Could someone please tell me what the speed inaccuaracy issue is?

We've had our golf United Grey Metallic 118TSI DSG since mid march - with sports pack, MDI(Ipod), reverse camera, sat nav, bluetooth. Love it!!! The DSG is different - am experiencing the slight lag but interestingly my partner was driving it long distance and he said he noticed the lag was going away. I've only just started taking it for short city driving work trips. I find the brakes more responsive than I am used to but I don't think this is a problem (just need to adapt) - it causing me some difficulty wiht parking because the car jumps so to speak while i am trying to park. But it getting better every day so I am adapting.

The navigation is really good, as well as the bluetooth, and it is a very comfertable ride. Love the ability to individually set our own a/c. Drives very well and is quite an upgrade from the 9 year old hyundai accent i was driving. Have no idea how to post photos but when I figure it out, I will.

I really would like proximity sensors - I think they come with park assist but I don't ever reverse park so its overkill to get it but I think the sensors should be available. I think the seats should also adjust electronically but guessing this is reserved for the upgraded models.

Corey_R
03-04-2011, 07:11 PM
I'll answer the question, but I don't want arguments in this thread about politics, laws, or how long you've been driving and all that crap... find one of the threads on this specific topic :)

In the old days, the laws allowed +/- 10% accuracy on your speedo.
In that situation most manufacturers would aim to have it as accurate as possible.

However, due to the fact that some states now wish to book you for 3km over the speedlimit (and rumours are that is dropping), the 10% over the limit is no longer valid (the law has been changed) and even having the speedo exactly accurate is not an ideal situation. Inaccuracies such as the needle width, your driving position (and hence viewing angle to the needle), or changing your wheels, could still cause you to get a speeding ticket.

So many manufacturers have changed their speedos so that it tells you that you're going faster than you really are.
In the case of VW, the setup is that when it tells you that you're doing 100km/h, you're probably only doing 93km/h. They've been this way for several years now...

You can check exactly what the inaccuracy is by using a GPS device, or by driving on cruise control at 100km/h and then resetting your trip metre whilst you're on the "average speed" display. The first number which comes up is the "real" speed you're travelling. This % of leeway is consistent no matter what speed you're doing. (So if 100km = 93, then 50 will be 46.5km/h etc)

nat225
03-04-2011, 07:32 PM
just came back from Hunter Valley.

the speedo needle and MFD showed 120km/h, but my Tom Tom showed 112km/h.

could this be what Corey talked about? :)

Corey_R
03-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Yep. That's exactly what I'm talking about. The error is purposely built in for the several reasons I mentioned (and probably more).
However, note that your Odometer will measure perfectly, and average speed is correct, as are all other elements. So it's not a mistake or bad engineering etc, it's purposely designed this way.

prise
03-04-2011, 08:02 PM
This (the 118 TSI) is the first car I've owned where the fuel gauge actually does give a fair indication of whether you have 1/2, 1/4 etc of a tank remaining. I also like the fact that the temperature gauge does provide a temperature reading and not just a general 'its cold'/'its hot' type of indication. The large angle sweep on the fuel and temperature gauges are a nice touch.

drkcld
04-04-2011, 12:07 AM
Hey guys i'm new with cars and all, so i'm wondering whats the difference between the 117 TSI normal (6 speed) and the 7 speed DSG?
Also i've heard that when people go down hill and dont accelerate it revs itself o.O or am i just hearing stuff

prise
04-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Hey guys i'm new with cars and all, so i'm wondering whats the difference between the 117 TSI normal (6 speed) and the 7 speed DSG?
Also i've heard that when people go down hill and dont accelerate it revs itself o.O or am i just hearing stuff

You don't get a choice of which type of DSG gearbox you get as it's determined by the model of Golf that you buy. All 1.2 and 1.4 litre petrol engines and 1.6 litre diesel engines use the 7spd unit if sold with DSG. The 6spd unit is used with the 2 litre diesel and petrol engines.

The 6spd unit is an earlier design that uses 'wet plate' clutches where the clutch plates are immersed in the gearbox oil. This has advantages:

a) It helps the clutches to handle higher torque levels (due to the oil cooling).
b) It allows more slippage at takeoff (due to the oil cooling) allowing features like launch control to be used.
c) The slippage allowed enables it to 'creep' forward during parking more like a conventional automatic.

The disadvantages are :

a) It does use a bit more fuel however because of the extra drag on the clutch plates
b) The heating of the oil and wear particles from the clutches is hard on the oil so there is an expensive DSG oil change service required every 60,000 km ($500 or thereabouts)

The 7spd unit is a lighter gearbox has been designed for lower torque applications (up to 250Nm) with more of an emphasis on fuel economy. It uses dry plate clutches (similar to what you would have in a normal manual) which has the following advantages:

a) It eliminates the clutch drag which reduces fuel consumption
b) It does not require the expensive 60,000km service

It has the following disadvantages:

a) Torque and slippage are limited as there is no oil to cool the clutch plates so no launch control.
b) It is not as smooth during low speed manouevring as the 6 speed unit as the clutches are only engaged after the brake is released to avoid unncessary slipping of the clutch. This takes a bit of adjustment for people used to driving a normal automatic so the best technique when parking is to leave the accelerator alone.

The 7spd DSG in my 118TSI does progressively shift down gears to give extra engine braking if you are going down a hill and using the brake to maintain speed. It only does this if you are using the brake however.

brad
04-04-2011, 08:43 AM
However, note that your Odometer will measure perfectly, and average speed is correct, as are all other elements. So it's not a mistake or bad engineering etc, it's purposely designed this way.
Corey
Have you checked the odometer on one of those 5km long odometer check strips on the highway? My odo was hitting 5000m about 400m before the 5km was up (this is a Skoda Octavia with 205/55x16 that were down to ~3.5mm). By my estimates, it means that the 15,000km service actually comes up at ~13800-14000km and when the odo clicks over 100,000km the vehicle has only done ~92,000km.

Since going to 225/55x16 with 7mm of tread, my odometer now takes 5100m (too much & I'll go to 225/50x16 next tyre change) to do 5000metres.

My speedo was 9% under. 100kmh indicated was 91kmh actual. With 225/55x16 it's 3% under (100kmh indicated is 97kmh). It appears other vehicle manufacturers aren't so keen to "look after" us as my wife's VE2 Calais was 100/97 and her new Mondeo is 100/96.

brad
04-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I also like the fact that the temperature gauge does provide a temperature reading and not just a general 'its cold'/'its hot' type of indication. The large angle sweep on the fuel and temperature gauges are a nice touch.
The temp gauge has a fair bit of "fudge factor" built into it. IIRC, 90 could be anywhere between 80 & 100 (better than just a light though).

logger
04-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Corey
Have you checked the odometer on one of those 5km long odometer check strips on the highway? .

I have checked mine with GPS and it is spot on. If I drive my 118tsi on a flat road with cruise control at 106kph speedo / 100kph gps for 3 minutes the ODO will increment 5.0 KM. So your car skoda might have something be setup wrong.

Corey_R
04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
Corey
Have you checked the odometer on one of those 5km long odometer check strips on the highway? My odo was hitting 5000m about 400m before the 5km was up (this is a Skoda Octavia with 205/55x16 that were down to ~3.5mm). By my estimates, it means that the 15,000km service actually comes up at ~13800-14000km and when the odo clicks over 100,000km the vehicle has only done ~92,000km.

Since going to 225/55x16 with 7mm of tread, my odometer now takes 5100m (too much & I'll go to 225/50x16 next tyre change) to do 5000metres.

My speedo was 9% under. 100kmh indicated was 91kmh actual. With 225/55x16 it's 3% under (100kmh indicated is 97kmh). It appears other vehicle manufacturers aren't so keen to "look after" us as my wife's VE2 Calais was 100/97 and her new Mondeo is 100/96.

Yeah - it was spot on when I tried it in the R. It was ~1.5 months old, so the tyres were new.
But you're right. Tyre wear does have an effect on the ODO (and therefore speedo) and changing wheel sizes DEFINITELY has an effect - but that's the same for every car there is (unless some of the BMW and Merc upper models are now using GPS or laser speed exclusively).

But your switching wheels example is a perfect example of why the error is built in - since you've changed your wheels and it's now only 3% udner, you'd be now getting fines all over the place in VIC if that error wasn't built in to begin with!

brad
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM
But your switching wheels example is a perfect example of why the error is built in - since you've changed your wheels and it's now only 3% udner, you'd be now getting fines all over the place in VIC if that error wasn't built in to begin with!

I purposely went to bigger diameter tyres (about 25mm bigger in diameter) to get rid of the speedo innacuracy - no other reason. I wouldn't have done it if the speedo was within 5% or if it was going to push the actual speed higher than the indicated speed - that wouldn't be fair to anyone else that drives the car & doesn't realise how accurate the speedo is now.

prise
04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
The temp gauge has a fair bit of "fudge factor" built into it. IIRC, 90 could be anywhere between 80 & 100 (better than just a light though).

Yeah I've noticed that - the needle position appears to be consistent with what comes across on the CAN bus until it gets near the 90 deg mark. From then on it seems to 'lock in' to 90 and not respond to small variations in coolant temperature thereafter. It's got me wondering how much of a change in temperature away from 90 is required after that to make the needle move. They may have programmed it to do that so drivers are more likely to notice the change in gauge reading when it matters.

zoomda
16-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Had my 118TSI Wagon for about 6 weeks now. Great car, a real pleasure drive. I'm slowly experiencing the small things others have mentioned, Speedo has about 7% inaccuracy compared to my satnav, supercharger squeak can be heard if it's quiet and I'm paying attention, DSG changes down gears when going down a hill(I like that).

DSG has taken a bit to get used. Working around the slight hesitation from a complete stop (I still manage to chirp the tyres by pressing a little too hard, but it's happening less and less :). Some how I managed to engage the rev limiter in S mode as well (didn't think that would be possible).

Still haven't managed to have a bit of drag with anyone though. Some clown in an imported turbo ****box of some kind was hassling me when I was in my partner's Honda City the other week. I wish I'd been in the sleeper wagon then :)

A stage 1 from APR or bluefin etc is appealing but so is RNS 510 from ebay. Decisions decisions.

Brendan_A
16-04-2011, 04:51 PM
A stage 1 from APR or bluefin etc is appealing but so is RNS 510 from ebay. Decisions decisions.

APR have an Easter sale on now. Good time to be buying! :banana:

Sawed Off
23-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Really enjoying the car. It feels like it's attached to the road, even over the bumpy North Queensland goat track we call the Bruce Highway. My wife compulsively hangs on when going around corners faster than walking speed. The best endorsement I can give is when I take corners that are yellow signed as 60 and I take them at 80 and she doesn't even flinch.

One small annoyance is the chrome aircon vent surrounds on the dash. They reflect brightly in the windows right were you look at the mirrors.

It's a shame that we seem to be having an ongoing issue with the Catalytic Converter Failure light coming on. We picked the car up on Wednesday and it's been in the service department on Thursday and Friday, and is going back in tomorrow (Monday). It takes a lot of the shine off owning a car like this. They seem to think it's "a leak behind the motor", but have also "upgraded the ECU". I don't think they know. What I know is that taking it into the Service Department every day has gotten old already.

Rendog
23-10-2011, 09:23 PM
You can check exactly what the inaccuracy is by using a GPS device, or by driving on cruise control at 100km/h and then resetting your trip metre whilst you're on the "average speed" display. The first number which comes up is the "real" speed you're travelling. This % of leeway is consistent no matter what speed you're doing. (So if 100km = 93, then 50 will be 46.5km/h etc)

This explains why I'm continually overtaken on the Bruce Highway, I thought people had suddenly taken to flouting the law or love over taking VW's ... So I need to do 115kmps to be close to the speed limit...

SMOK3Y
23-10-2011, 10:14 PM
for me to be doing actual 100/101 i have to be doing 108 & to do actual 110/111 i have to be doing 119

Roddy
24-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I had a 2003 Auto 2L Bora (a slug but beautifully built car), my wife had a 2003 auto Polo, I then went to a 2006 Golf Comfortline 2L Auto before inexplicably moving in to a 2010 Mazda3 SP25 Luxury auto. I took advantage of the drive away Golf deals to get into a new MY12 118 FSI DSG with Sports Pack and RNS Sat Nav.

Re the Mazda: beautifully built from beautiful parts (apart from some dash and steering wheel plastics which were a bit dodgy – feel the back, or even the front, of the Cruise Control buttons on the steering wheel!), but it drove well enough. It had excessive NVH, especially the road noise that emanated from the drivers front wheel well and also a bit of course motor noise, but it was a nicely built machine – the sum of its parts was ok.

But, the new Golf? Built seemingly from one piece of metal, so SOLID does it feel. It is hard to describe how superbly crafted this car feels. A girl in my office has a new C180 Mercedes, absolutely lovely car, BUT $24000 MORE than the Golf, which feels and looks JUST as expensive and classy? I don’t see the value. The Golf is THAT good, and in fact certainly shows up the new Jetta which has harder panels on the door trims inside and on the dash than does the Golf.

Driving the Golf ALMOST requires you to learn how the DSG/Motor combo works. To ensure a smooth low gear change from take- off or in traffic it is necessary (for me anyway) to ‘tickle’ or to ‘feather’ the accelerator BEFORE then giving a progressive and smoother pressure to it, gradually (gradually – NOT SLOWLY) increasing the pressure on it – this gives me a seamless and smooth and rapid transition thru the gears. No jerky/lumpy actions that some on here mention…just feather it, FEEL it engage, then g-o……marvellous.

There is NOTHING I dislike about the new Golf, well, maybe apart from the fact my old Golf had a chromed glovebox handle, the new one simple black plastic…nit picking! Maybe they are interchangeable, and I could order a chrome one up and have dealer fit it? But as I say, that’s’ how hard it is to fault it!

Never noticed before I bought it, but the simple 2 chrome strips in the grille set into the gloss black plastic…beautiful execution of a simple detail that looks sheer CLASS.

The Sports Pack wheel/tyre combo, is just right, superbly filling out the wheel wells, and no doubt assisting in a very agile driving experience.

Gas strut holding up the bonnet, not usual in this class (or should I say PRICE) range - the GOLF feels like a much more expensive car in my opinion.

Simple things like the superbly crafted buttons on the steering wheel (itself an absolute JOY to hold and use) that are beautifully recessed into their little modules on the wheel itself and work with a precision that belies the Golf’s price point! The simple boot opening, using the VW emblem -simple, but elegant.

Love (and missed in the Mazda!) the auto on headlights, auto dimming rear view mirror and auto-on wipers (the bane of some of you I know!). These are simple things that raise the bar in this CLASS of car. Dropping the windows from outside the car as you walk up to it, GREAT. Having my front inside wheel wells lit up (I am at 35%) at night, cool!

The Sports Pack seats are FANTASTIC, great range of adjustability, firm and comfortable. Fabric looks and feels beautiful as well. Plenty of space in the back and the boot is plenty big enough for me (bigger than the SP25 which had valuable boot space taken up by the fitting of the sub-woofer in the floor of the boot which I knew and accepted at the time).

After initial hiccups, I now love the RNS Sat Nav. I think it’s as good as any Sat Nav out there (which is to say, it’s NOT perfect, but it is acceptable). The MDI interface is great, the Bluetooth streaming not so, but it streams! I just wish I could use those steering wheel buttons or touchscreen in this mode, I can’t, I HAVE to use the IPhone itself, but hey, no biggie! Absolutely love(having included restaurants, petrol stations, banks and Police Stations in my Navigation setup) how you can tap, say a restaurant icon on the Map, and then DIAL the restaurant from the detail page that comes up about that restaurant straight from the Map! Great functionality!
The paintwork on the car is beautiful and rock hard by the feel of things, smooth to the touch, rich in feel.

So that’s it after a week’s ownership. I can’t speak for reliability yet, nor economy, though I DO think it gets better mileage than the Mazda. Having “learned” how to use (at least for me, I cannot speak for anyone else) the DSG and motor to get those seamless and smooth take-offs, I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE DRIVING this thing. I love looking at it and love touching it! The PERFECT car for me – I can only imagine what you guys with GTIs and R32s feel about YOUR cars!
Love it!
Rod

Ryan_R
24-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Good to hear your're enjoying the 118 - it is a brilliant car.

Roddy
24-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Hey Ryan...I see from your sig you have a "tiptronic wheel"??? After market or did VW fit? If its not rude, how much? I DO miss this from the Mazda Sp25 a bit...

Ryan_R
24-10-2011, 05:45 PM
It's a genuine VW wheel that's pretty much identical to the one in the GTI except for there not being any GTI badges on it (which I prefer). I got mine from here (http://www.uvworldwide.co.uk/accessories/vw-golf-5-6-gtiscirocco-dsg-multifunction-steering-wheel-p-2515.html), but you might find them on eBay as well.

Also check out this thread:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f97/flappy-paddles-steering-wheel-tiguan-56968.html

mr gee
24-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Roddy
I came from a civic sport and when we test drove the golf 118TSI, we ordered on the spot (thankfully the dealer gave us a good trade in deal on the civic so the transition was painless)

In fact we liked the golf so much, we recently bought a 2011 GTI. A 2012 Scirroco R is on order :banana:

btw, VW has a revised software for the 7spd DSG that changes the shift points so 1-2nd gear transition is lots smoother. The software 9256 is the latest. You can check it out if you have VCDS. Its in:

Address 01: Engine (CAV) Labels: 03C-906-027-CAV.clb
Part No SW: 03C 906 027 BA HW: 03C 906 027 F
Component: MED17.5.5 G 9256
Revision: LAH08--- Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 0000077
Shop #: WSC 00560 959 100532
VCID: 61E76809C650

Ryan_R
24-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks - I'll check later this week and report back.

dwvw
25-10-2011, 10:24 PM
I also had just a proud owner of a golf wagon 118. Love it to bits! Everything is so smooth. We also have a civic sedan and it feels so rough after I had driven the golf, I had never notice that before!

Roddy
26-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Gee, I just saw your before and after pics on the Accessories thread of your steering wheel conversion Ryan. I am SERIOUSLY considering this as I DO love that GTI shaped wheel. Personal preference though, I rather prefer the black plastic surrounds behind the steering wheel buttons than the metal look on the GTI wheel. Could those be retained from my existing wheel do you think? The wheel is on special at mo for 399 pounds (620 AUD) - I reckon that's a bargain. How much would a dealer charge to ft it do you think??

Rgds
Rod

Brendan_A
26-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Gee, I just saw your before and after pics on the Accessories thread of your steering wheel conversion Ryan. I am SERIOUSLY considering this as I DO love that GTI shaped wheel. Personal preference though, I rather prefer the black plastic surrounds behind the steering wheel buttons than the metal look on the GTI wheel. Could those be retained from my existing wheel do you think? The wheel is on speial at mo for 399 pounds (620 AUD) - I reckon that's a bargain. How much would a dealer charge to ft it do you think??

Rgds
Rod

You should get one! It's a very nice upgrade that gives you that little bit more of a sporty feel:cool:

I don't know if you could change the black trims over to the new wheel.

Anyone that knows what they're doing should only take 30mins. I only paid $44.

Ryan_R
26-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Not sure if you can change it either due to the buttons on the wheel.

The change-over doesn't take long (depending on how quickly you figure out how to remove the airbag clips) and if you've got VCDS you only have to change one number to enable the paddles.

grtuned
27-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Great to hear your enjoying your car. I couldn't agree more with the way you have explained the operation of the DSG, This box is something that cannot be compared to other cars and its characteristics greatly differ from conventional transmissions. Good to hear your using common sense and adapting to something different, Cheers and Enjoy!!!
I had a 2003 Auto 2L Bora (a slug but beautifully built car), my wife had a 2003 auto Polo, I then went to a 2006 Golf Comfortline 2L Auto before inexplicably moving in to a 2010 Mazda3 SP25 Luxury auto. I took advantage of the drive away Golf deals to get into a new MY12 118 FSI DSG with Sports Pack and RNS Sat Nav.

Re the Mazda: beautifully built from beautiful parts (apart from some dash and steering wheel plastics which were a bit dodgy – feel the back, or even the front, of the Cruise Control buttons on the steering wheel!), but it drove well enough. It had excessive NVH, especially the road noise that emanated from the drivers front wheel well and also a bit of course motor noise, but it was a nicely built machine – the sum of its parts was ok.

But, the new Golf? Built seemingly from one piece of metal, so SOLID does it feel. It is hard to describe how superbly crafted this car feels. A girl in my office has a new C180 Mercedes, absolutely lovely car, BUT $24000 MORE than the Golf, which feels and looks JUST as expensive and classy? I don’t see the value. The Golf is THAT good, and in fact certainly shows up the new Jetta which has harder panels on the door trims inside and on the dash than does the Golf.

Driving the Golf ALMOST requires you to learn how the DSG/Motor combo works. To ensure a smooth low gear change from take- off or in traffic it is necessary (for me anyway) to ‘tickle’ or to ‘feather’ the accelerator BEFORE then giving a progressive and smoother pressure to it, gradually (gradually – NOT SLOWLY) increasing the pressure on it – this gives me a seamless and smooth and rapid transition thru the gears. No jerky/lumpy actions that some on here mention…just feather it, FEEL it engage, then g-o……marvellous.

There is NOTHING I dislike about the new Golf, well, maybe apart from the fact my old Golf had a chromed glovebox handle, the new one simple black plastic…nit picking! Maybe they are interchangeable, and I could order a chrome one up and have dealer fit it? But as I say, that’s’ how hard it is to fault it!

Never noticed before I bought it, but the simple 2 chrome strips in the grille set into the gloss black plastic…beautiful execution of a simple detail that looks sheer CLASS.

The Sports Pack wheel/tyre combo, is just right, superbly filling out the wheel wells, and no doubt assisting in a very agile driving experience.

Gas strut holding up the bonnet, not usual in this class (or should I say PRICE) range - the GOLF feels like a much more expensive car in my opinion.

Simple things like the superbly crafted buttons on the steering wheel (itself an absolute JOY to hold and use) that are beautifully recessed into their little modules on the wheel itself and work with a precision that belies the Golf’s price point! The simple boot opening, using the VW emblem -simple, but elegant.

Love (and missed in the Mazda!) the auto on headlights, auto dimming rear view mirror and auto-on wipers (the bane of some of you I know!). These are simple things that raise the bar in this CLASS of car. Dropping the windows from outside the car as you walk up to it, GREAT. Having my front inside wheel wells lit up (I am at 35%) at night, cool!

The Sports Pack seats are FANTASTIC, great range of adjustability, firm and comfortable. Fabric looks and feels beautiful as well. Plenty of space in the back and the boot is plenty big enough for me (bigger than the SP25 which had valuable boot space taken up by the fitting of the sub-woofer in the floor of the boot which I knew and accepted at the time).

After initial hiccups, I now love the RNS Sat Nav. I think it’s as good as any Sat Nav out there (which is to say, it’s NOT perfect, but it is acceptable). The MDI interface is great, the Bluetooth streaming not so, but it streams! I just wish I could use those steering wheel buttons or touchscreen in this mode, I can’t, I HAVE to use the IPhone itself, but hey, no biggie! Absolutely love(having included restaurants, petrol stations, banks and Police Stations in my Navigation setup) how you can tap, say a restaurant icon on the Map, and then DIAL the restaurant from the detail page that comes up about that restaurant straight from the Map! Great functionality!
The paintwork on the car is beautiful and rock hard by the feel of things, smooth to the touch, rich in feel.

So that’s it after a week’s ownership. I can’t speak for reliability yet, nor economy, though I DO think it gets better mileage than the Mazda. Having “learned” how to use (at least for me, I cannot speak for anyone else) the DSG and motor to get those seamless and smooth take-offs, I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE DRIVING this thing. I love looking at it and love touching it! The PERFECT car for me – I can only imagine what you guys with GTIs and R32s feel about YOUR cars!
Love it!
Rod

Roddy
27-10-2011, 01:56 PM
Not sure if you can change it either due to the buttons on the wheel.

The change-over doesn't take long (depending on how quickly you figure out how to remove the airbag clips) and if you've got VCDS you only have to change one number to enable the paddles.

While my car was in for its 1000km checkup they gave me a GTI DSG as a loaner, 2000kms on the clock. Know what? I CAN LIVE with the chromed surrounds around the steering wheel buttons! NICE! What a car! If the salesman had given me a drive of this before I had bought, I think I'd be in a GTI today - and that's not complaining about my 118, it's just that the GTI IS superb.

Gonna order that wheel. How long did it take to rock up Ryan? Will ask Melville VW to install as I need that coding done, probably cost me an arm and leg.

Rgds
Rod

Ryan_R
27-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Took about 11 days. The seller doesn't communicate much either so don't panick (like I nearly did) :P

Yes the GTI is excellent - however in that I case I highly recommend you visit your nearest APR dealer and ask for a free trial of their ECU tune. It makes the 118TSI as powerful as the GTI, but with more torque low done due to the supercharger (no turbo lag). It also slightly improves fuel effeciency.

Roddy
27-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Took about 11 days. The seller doesn't communicate much either so don't panick (like I nearly did) :P

Yes the GTI is excellent - however in that I case I highly recommend you visit your nearest APR dealer and ask for a free trial of their ECU tune. It makes the 118TSI as powerful as the GTI, but with more torque low done due to the supercharger (no turbo lag). It also slightly improves fuel effeciency.

Had after market rear parking sensors installed by dealer today as 1) I find the DSG wanting to help me by automatically reversing slightly when I engaged R a bit disconcerting given 2) I reverse park into a dark and tight area every morning at work so I wanted some "insurance". They did a great job in installation. Works a treat, audio only comes thru car speakers, no external speaker installed and sensors flush and the correct colour. Whilst there I mentioned I was looking at the GTI OEM wheel from the UK and asked how much they would charge to fit and code it. Service Manager just said, give me a days notice, pop in and we'll fit it free of charge for you. VERY good service.

Rgds
Rod

Ryan_R
27-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Wow you've got a great contact there. Can I ask how much the sensors + installation set you back? I wouldn't say I desperately need them but if the price is right then why not, only takes one accident avoided to pay for itself. Does the OPS graphic appear on your RNS 510 when you reverse?

Roddy
28-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Wow you've got a great contact there. Can I ask how much the sensors + installation set you back? I wouldn't say I desperately need them but if the price is right then why not, only takes one accident avoided to pay for itself. Does the OPS graphic appear on your RNS 510 when you reverse?

No graphic, just a beeping noise when you engage R, then obviously when you get too close to something when you back up. All I wanted. $550 installed. Yeah, service manager at DVG VW Melville in Perth just volunteered free install of wheel,no probs.

CandyCab
09-12-2011, 09:20 PM
No graphic, just a beeping noise when you engage R, then obviously when you get too close to something when you back up. All I wanted. $550 installed. Yeah, service manager at DVG VW Melville in Perth just volunteered free install of wheel,no probs.

$550 seems too good! Anyone in Melbourne know where we can get a deal like this?

Ryan_R
09-12-2011, 09:44 PM
You could spend that sort of money on the VW reversing camera, you know?

CandyCab
09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
You could spend that sort of money on the VW reversing camera, you know?

Lol.. honestly i don't... Is there a link to a discussion or where to buy for this money?

Ryan_R
09-12-2011, 09:59 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/retrofit-rvc-mk6-golf-r-vw-ops-50657-18.html

CandyCab
09-12-2011, 10:01 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f112/retrofit-rvc-mk6-golf-r-vw-ops-50657-18.html

Cool thanks!

brad
11-12-2011, 04:19 PM
$550 seems too good! Anyone in Melbourne know where we can get a deal like this?
I fitted colour coded reverse sensors complete with visual display to my Dad's Honda. $45 off Ebay & an afternoons work

Stelex
18-12-2011, 09:47 PM
I loved my Golf dearly. It was my first brand new car (at age 42) and I was in love with it from the moment it came out. I had number of VWs, mainly Golfs in my life and I had full faith in VWs reliability and quality. So I bought Golf VI 118 TSI, Comfortline in Nov 2009. Boy was a proud owner, like a peacock in all its glory.

Then ...

The car started giving up on me. First the engine blew up at 15,000 km. Then numerous issues with clunking noise under the car when accelerating.

Air conditioner was leaking and was refilled at each service (3 times) plus once in between. Finally fixed last month by replacing the whatever-its-called valve (fixed ... I hope, for now).

DSG started playing up at 30.000 and after a few bookings and trips to VW they finally decided to upgrade software, did help for 2 weeks, but then it got worse. They replaced the clutch pack. It looked fixed, until today.

Today, the DSG just gave up. Lost the drive and got stuck waiting on the tow truck for 4.5 hours on Sunday afternoon just before the round about when entering Bunnings at Oxley (Brisbane). Had my 10 year old daughter with me as well.

Unfortunately my car is leased so I have another 2 years of 'fun' to go. However, on the day the leas expires the car will be for sale, at any price.

Goodbye VW, you killed it for me big time. Never again.

Brian
19-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Genuinely sorry to hear of your troubles Stelex. We buy the German engineering for its reputation, which is what I did. My 2009 Tsi has been faultless for 2 and a half years. Probably not what you want to hear but I think the pluses should be exposed as well as the minuses.
Hope your problems are resolved with minimal fuss.
Brian

slick1
21-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi all.

Well this is my first post on this forum. I leased a brand new golf 118TSi in April 2009 and i had an APR (Stage 1) mod done to it about 18 months ago.

All was good up until about 2 months ago when you would be going along in any gear with the exception of 1st and 2nd (6 speed manual) and when you put your foot down to accelerate. it would misfire. it got quite bad so i booked it in to get checked. the engine light would also flash. Sometimes for 8 flashes, then other times for 40 or 50 flashes.

The mechanic changed the plugs at 104,000km which is the expected life out of platinum plugs once he connected his diagnostic computer onto the car and it told him that cylinders 1 and 3 were misfiring. All was good for a few weeks and then it started to misfire again. This time, it wasn't as bad as when it did it with the old plugs.

I took it to the mechanics and he changed the 4 coil packs. He only changed them this morning so i guess the next month or so will be the real test. Its nearly done 110,000km so it'll be interesting to see if any other faults start happening.

From what I hear, the Mk VI have engine problems (Blow up) and dry cylinder issues with the injectors not spraying correctly. My lease is up in about 3 months so I have to pay the residual out and then i think i'll sell the car privately.

What do you think it will be worth? It will have 120,000km on the clock. Next to perfect condition car, Silver, Black leather seats, comfortline, Tinted windows.

Thanks in advance.

brad
22-12-2011, 08:18 AM
the tune will hilight any deficiencies in the engine systems....

104,000km out of platinum plugs? I thought it was dependant on electrode diameter?

I think you'll find the service manual says to change at 90,000km & the dealership workshops generally do them at 60,000km (regardless of what the service schedule says). Hopefully the coil packs will get you running properly again.

I would think that after 3 years the car would be worth around half what you paid?

slick1
22-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your reply Brad.

in regards to the plugs, i think they lasted 104,000km. Perhaps the dealership did change them earlier on but i didn't know.

the car would misfire whether i was on the stock program or the APR program. I drove the car today like I normally do and the car didn't misfire at all. Before the coils were changed, so that tells me that its all good. Going up Mt Ousley in the morning and the car didn't miss a beat. Before the coil packs were changed it would misfire quite bad up there.

I forgot to mention yesterday about another issue which im having.

When i start the car in the morning (From being stone cold) i walk to the back of the car to listen to the exhaust and it misses for around 20 or so seconds then smoothes right out. it was doing that before the coil packs as well. I thought the new coil packs would of fixed it but the misfire is still there with the new coil packs. Like i said, its only for the first 20 or 30 seconds then it goes away.

Any help on that one much appreciated.

Slick1

Brendan_A
22-12-2011, 08:59 PM
When i start the car in the morning (From being stone cold) i walk to the back of the car to listen to the exhaust and it misses for around 20 or so seconds then smoothes right out. it was doing that before the coil packs as well. I thought the new coil packs would of fixed it but the misfire is still there with the new coil packs. Like i said, its only for the first 20 or 30 seconds then it goes away.

Any help on that one much appreciated.

Slick1

My car only has 9k km on it and has done this from brand new. Only for about 30 sec and mostly the first start up for the day.

I'm not worried about. It's something do with the cold start cycle.

Ryan_R
22-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Sometimes my car nearly sounds like a diesel from the outside on a cold start, sometimes with a rare anomaly, never panicked about it though.

Ozram
23-12-2011, 05:32 AM
Its just extra fuel being burnt to warm up the catalytic converter in the exhaust system as quickly as possible. This assists with emissions control. They all do it, nothing to be alarmed about.

slick1
23-12-2011, 09:13 AM
i not too worried about it seeing as though its 'meant' to do it. when i got the plugs changed, it stopped doing it but then started again. Not sure whats going on there though.

brad
23-12-2011, 09:14 AM

i think that's normal - rich mixture to start i assume

khonfahm
07-01-2012, 12:59 AM
I just sold my 90TSI.

I loved it to bits. Only problem, needed a bit more power (Even with a Stage 1 ECU from Superchips).

With the cash and about $3k out of my pocket, I can pick up a 2nd hand 118TSI.

Really enjoyed this thread, and thank you to all that participated. You have really helped a lot.

Ryan_R
07-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Welcome to the Supercharged club :)

fully
07-01-2012, 02:00 PM
Yes welcome. :)

karmic_flop
03-02-2012, 09:51 PM
I loved my Golf dearly. It was my first brand new car (at age 42) and I was in love with it from the moment it came out. I had number of VWs, mainly Golfs in my life and I had full faith in VWs reliability and quality. So I bought Golf VI 118 TSI, Comfortline in Nov 2009. Boy was a proud owner, like a peacock in all its glory.

Then ...

The car started giving up on me. First the engine blew up at 15,000 km. Then numerous issues with clunking noise under the car when accelerating.

Air conditioner was leaking and was refilled at each service (3 times) plus once in between. Finally fixed last month by replacing the whatever-its-called valve (fixed ... I hope, for now).

DSG started playing up at 30.000 and after a few bookings and trips to VW they finally decided to upgrade software, did help for 2 weeks, but then it got worse. They replaced the clutch pack. It looked fixed, until today.

Today, the DSG just gave up. Lost the drive and got stuck waiting on the tow truck for 4.5 hours on Sunday afternoon just before the round about when entering Bunnings at Oxley (Brisbane). Had my 10 year old daughter with me as well.

Unfortunately my car is leased so I have another 2 years of 'fun' to go. However, on the day the leas expires the car will be for sale, at any price.

Geez Stelex you've had a bad run. I've got a '10 Golf 118TSI DSG with Sport Pack and have had many of the same problems... short of the engine blowing up. I'm going to start a new thread to discuss the 7 speed DSG hesitation and get a feel of what percentage of people are having this problem. I guess I can count you in the "yes" column.

I don't see this kind of unpredictable behaviour as something we should be getting used to as many people have suggested (including VW employees). Besides, they had 6 speed wet clutch gearboxes available which work pretty well and instead chose to make a car with this thumpy unpredictable mess. This is my third VW but it's only been getting worse as I've moved up in the family. Certainly not buying another VW if this is the sort of car they're going to release into the wild.

Stelex
03-02-2012, 10:19 PM
Geez Stelex you've had a bad run...

And it continues ...

After my last post just before Christmas they have replaced the Mechatronics. I have received my car back on 31/12/2011.

Since then:

The air conditioner started hissing again and the air compressor is getting loud, clear signs of low gas pressure.

Something (most likely the DSG) is making a short (2 sec) grinding noise every so often when turning left and accelerating in 3rd or 4th gear at low revs.

karmic_flop
03-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Thankfully my airconditioning works... for now. I get that grind in most gears at low revs but worst in 3rd and 4th. It sounds the same as the noise I get shifting down into third which is why they replaced my gearbox but it came back after 3 months. I'd hate to have a car that wasn't made by a replutable brand :facepalm:

Also, left you say. Most of my troubles are turning left too.

Jenstar
08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
*Sob* My lil golf is only 8 months old & all the plasticky things are started to break/crack... Dealer will only fix 3 out of 5 items under warranty. The VW Headoffice are useless. Who knows what is going to break next. Surely all these things aren't a coincidence?? it just seems like a lot at one time...

Any ideas of what I can do??

• Broken pre-set channel radio button (warranty)
• Steering wheel -button cover to change volume/channels (warranty)
• Headlight switch -cover cracked (warranty)

• Rear passenger air con vent handle thingy.. to change direction of air flow (Not Covered)
• Front Grille, a plastic strip is cracked (Not Covered) - only covered if it was under 1000kms apparently.

So disappointed... waited 6 months for delivery & now 8 months later, it's falling apart. :(

Ryan_R
08-02-2012, 02:34 PM
What have you been doing in your car? http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/eekgif-1.jpg

Sorry to hear that, but that's very rare and VW honestly must be thinking the same thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HQsRNfRKwa0#t=353s (you'll have to ignore the other language, best I could find). Skoda/VW trim is essentially the same atm.

Jenstar
08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary!! I'm a bit 'precious' about my car still... as it's my very first brand new car.
I don't drive it hard or have kids/pets to destroy it. It still looks and feels new inside.

Just seems whatever is made out of plastic is falling apart. Surely these cars are made to withstand the 'extreme' aussie temperatures?!?

I'm just so disappointed VW won't fix all of it..

Rockman
09-02-2012, 06:10 AM
VW Golf – What a bogie.
So VW wants to be the biggest car maker in the world. Well hopefully they will sort out their quality control and engineering issues before we are all driving around in loaner cars, while our VW’s are being repaired.
Back in early 2009, after years of my wife driving around in people movers, my wife started looking for her car. Something that would be zippy, comfortable to drive and reliable. And boy, did she look! We visited every car dealer in the area, looking at brochures on the internet and of course, test driving all those on the short list (and of course having to talk to car salesmen). The short list included vehicles from Lexus, Audi, BMW and a few others. But, in the end, it was the little Golf –Car of the Year, which got the tick.
Now when it was first delivered, there was some confusion regarding the front seats. We did not want the sports seats, and the salesman told us that it would come with the comfort seats, but on picking it up, it had the sports seats. But, she initially did not mind them, and as it was her car – I let it slip.
Now, initially the car performed well, it was zippy around town, easier than the old Kia Carnival to park, and certainly cheaper to run. But after a while, we noticed that the clutch appeared to be slipping. It would chug and shudder as it changed gears. So when it went in for its service, there was some work required to fix up the gearbox (the fancy DSG double clutch gearbox that the salesman told me was super reliable!). So they gave her a Jetta loaner, and off she went.
We got the car back and my wife was motoring again. Then we received a recall letter, something to do with reprogramming the engine management system to handle the Australian fuel. So another trip to the dealer (90 minutes away) and a day lost waiting for the service department to fix it.
Then there was the next service…. I couldn’t believe it when my wife rang me to say “they have to keep the car a little longer, as they had to replace the motor”! The car had only done 30,000km. But, what could we do? So we left my wife’s little Golf there again, took a Corolla loaner and headed home. After a few weeks, her car was fixed again! And we took it home.
Then one morning, in the middle of a busy road the car suddenly stopped. Nothing – just dead! So another call to roadside assistance and the car got dragged onto the flatbed truck and transported to the nearest dealer. It turned out to be the engine management unit. While they waited for parts, we got to drive another loaner. It was only after we sat down; we realized how different the situation could have been. If the car had broken down a few minutes later, my wife would have been on the New England Highway, mixing it up with B-Doubles and P-Plate drivers. The consequences of the car dying while in this traffic could have been tragic. We selected the Golf for its supposed reliability, but we were starting to really doubt this claim.
Anyway, after the little Golf had its holiday at the service centre, we handled over the Ford Focus loaner and took Golfy home.
Now, things seemed to be going ok, but after a while we started to have problems with the gearbox shuddering again and the air conditioner not working. The fan would just stop and no matter how much you pressed the buttons, it just would not work. You had to turn the ignition off and on before it would work – which is a real pain when you are travelling down the freeway.
So Golfy went in for a service, and this time when I arrived to collect her, I was told “the alternator is not charging and the battery has died”. Now, you would have thought that with all the cars VW sells in Australia, they would have a replacement alternator available, but no – it had to come from Germany or Singapore! And this would take 10 days. But this time, no loaner, we would have to drive Golfy while we waited for the replacement alternator to arrive. But because the alternator was not charging, we had to hook up the battery charger each night to make sure the car had sufficient power to run all the electronics.
And finally we received the call – your new alternator has arrived. But you will have to wait a week until we can do the work. Why did they not make a spot back when they ordered the alternator? So Louise takes the Golfy back to the dealer – 2 hours in the traffic. After filling in a day, walking around the shops, she returned to the service department to be told “the alternator did not fix the problem, so you can take a loaner home until we get it fixed”.
So Louise heads home in a new diesel Golf. And this is where it gets interesting. She was amazed at how much better this Golf performed, no hesitating when she takes off, smoother gear changes and all from a base model.
Then a few months later we start to notice problems with the gearbox. You drive along and when you plant your foot, nothing happens! The car drops a gear and the tacho increases, but nothing happens to the car – no acceleration. You stop and restart the car, and it’s ok. But the gear changes are much slower than normal. So I ring Kloster Newcastle and they say, “we cannot look at it for 10 days, so just keep driving it”. Unfortunately the idea of driving a car that intermediately stops accelerating is not very safe. And then on Australia day, it just stopped. So it was back on the flat tray truck and it returned to the service center at Klosters Newcastle.
So it’s another rental car and we received a call from the service center that the car should be ready on the 23rd of February. This is almost a month!
So did we get a lemon? Initially we thought the Golf was a great little car. But its reliability really leaves a lot to be desired. Would I recommend a Golf to somebody looking for a new car? NO
So where to from here? Will VW continue to fix the problems until the warranty expires, then try to hide behind the old excuse “it’s out of warranty”? Or do I return the car and get my money back, as the car is obviously not fit for purpose, and does not live up to advertised claims? Or is our car just a lemon and needs to be replaced?
I will let you all know how I got on, and remember to pass this info onto anybody you know that might be considering a new VW.

kaanage
09-02-2012, 06:44 AM
So Louise heads home in a new diesel Golf. And this is where it gets interesting. She was amazed at how much better this Golf performed, no hesitating when she takes off, smoother gear changes and all from a base model.

Different DSG unit is used by the TDI (6 speed with wet clutches vs 7 speed with dry clutches). Most of the DSG issues seem to be related to the 7 speed dry clutch units.

This doesn't explain the other faults or excuse any of them. :(

Rockman
09-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Ok, sorry about not listing the faults (a summary would have made it easier).
Yes, I realise the clutches are different. But should they be that much different? The 6 speed wet clutch was so much smoother and responsive. Wonders why you would sell a 7 speed that was so poor (or is it just mine?).

Faults

Gearbox shuddered - so they checked it and did some work (someone mentioned replacing some bits to my wife)
Replace engine
Car stopped - Engine management Controller failed & replaced
Alternator & battery replaced - but this did not fix the problem, so more work required ???
Gearbox failure

Now, the dealer has been pretty good - supplying loaner or rental cars while the work is done. But the car has spent more than 10% of its life sick! Surely its time for VW to admit this car is a lemon. The majority of its driving is gentle running around town, so I would hate to think what would happen if somebody was pushing it hard.

Ryan_R
09-02-2012, 08:00 AM
The gearbox issues and engine ceasing faults have only been seen on the 118TSI so far. As much as I hate this and feel bad for you, I'd probably still stick with VW, and go with something more reliable (proven older tech) like the GTI or maybe a GTD.

VW have dropped the Twincharged engine for the Mk7 Golf, so I might need to look at getting extended warranty (in fact it would almost be stupid not to).

When it is working properly most of the time it's a fantastic car. Then again I was comparing the Golf to cheaper hatchbacks, whereas you were test driving Audi's and BMW's.

Rockman
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks Ryan_R,

Yes, we did test a lot of other cars (Toyota, Honda, BMW, Lexus, Skodia, Audi, etc) and the loaner/hire cars have been split into two categories:
Cheap and Chearfull
Ford Focus
Toyota Yaris
Nissan Tiida

Better Quality and Comfortable
VW TDI Golf
VW Jetta

And you can certainly feel the difference in the quality of the cars, but you would expect that, given the huge difference in price.
And when the car was working - it did go very well.

BUT - we paid the extra money and bought the VW to get safety, reliability and quality. My wife is now scared to drive the Golf, because it keeps breaking down (she lost another family member to road deaths on the 15/1/12 - that makes 4 so far!)

I realise that all cars are capable of breaking down, but given this cars history, its only a matter of when (and hopefully not at a critical time).

Syd118TSI
09-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Some people have really had some horrrible runs with their 118s!

The only issue with ours has been the slight shudder going from 1st to 2nd. That has been fixed with a replacement clutch pack and it's now back to being smooth as silk changing through all the gears. It's done a little over 30,000 km including a couple of trips to the Gold Coast and back with fantastic fuel economy and a bloody comfortable drive with plenty of overtaking punch even at high speeds and without having to put it in S. The other half has absolutely fallen in love with the way it drives, and always comments about how much better to drive her car is that other cars she has subsequently driven.

It's unfortunate that reading these sort of experiences can't help but plant a seed of doubt in the back of my mind about the long term viability of this car. Such a shame as it's such a fantastic car, but it seems that there is a few real lemons out there.

I'll also be looking into the extended warranty as that little bit of peace of mind could be very worthwhile.

Lucas_R
09-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Question for @ Rockman. Slightly off topic for everyone else - apologies.

How do you find Kloster VW? I bought my car from them last year, and although the sale process was good, their servicing skills and customer service etc so far is woefull.

My Golf has been back into Klosters 5 or 6 times now for niggly warranty issues (randomly going off alarm / squeaking sunroof etc). I drop the car off in immaculate condition - then when i pick it up, it has fingerfrints all over it / dirt on floor mats / oil or grease on the roof panel after fixing the squeaking sunroof. Unacceptable for a dealership to hand a car back in this state - especially when its obvious i am fastidious about the car.

The latest issue i have with them was the fact that i realised that my car had the incorrect headlight switch installed (its just black plastic when it should have the brushed chrome section on it). So when my car was in Klosters mid December (alarm issue again) i mentioned to them that the switch was incorrect and that i would like my $60k car to have the correct one.

So they said they would order one in under warranty for me. That was on 15th Dec 2011. Just the other day i thought to myself, geez this headlight switch is taking a long time.....so i rang the service dept and asked about it. The lady said it was in stock and that they had been trying to contact me.....like hell. Ive had no missed calls or SMS's etc from them. Phone is working fine. She told me i would have to book the car in and leave it there for a whole day to get the headlight switch changed. Excuse me...but a whole day for a 5 min job. Thats insane. Furthermore, i cant book in for 2 weeks because they are booked out.

So yesterday i knew that i would be driving past Klosters at some stage during the day (had to do some running around for work). So i removed the headlight switch and took it in to Kloster VW service desk. I asked them if i could swap it over for the new one that had been claimed under waranty. I figured, for such a basic item, it would save me the invonvenience of going without my car for a day, and also save them the hassle of having another car there when they are obviously busy. "Oh no, we need to have the car here to prove this switch is from your car" was the answer. Photos of the interior of my car were not good enough to convince him.

Unbelieveable.

Ryan_R
09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
lol, why don't you offer to change it yourself in front of them? - maybe they could use a demonstration.

Lucas_R
09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Agreed Ryan. They are useless.

lol, why don't you offer to change it yourself in front of them? - maybe they could use a demonstration.

Rawcpoppa
10-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Questions about this engine. It has a knock sensor which adjusts engine firing I believe when it senses knocking. A friend of mine used Ron 92 octane mixed with Ron 95 octane (even though the manual states 95 is required) for about a year. He now has a cracked piston.

Are the two related? He argues that the engine will sort out itself and run with less power to avoid knocking. I'm thinking that the engine isn't a magician and knock still occurs but just reduced leading to his cracked piston. Engine is basically one year old.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan_R
10-02-2012, 02:42 PM
If he's going to ignore the fuelling instructions then of course he can expect issues, and he won't be covered by warranty either. I don't know anything about the knock sensor though.

Personally I only fill up with 98 RON, and would only put in a small amount of 95 to get me to the next metro petrol station.

Diesel_vert
10-02-2012, 04:54 PM
We selected the Golf for its supposed reliability, but we were starting to really doubt this claim.

One buys a Euro car for many, many reasons.
Reliability is not one of them, however.

But rest assured, you are not alone - many owners of Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Mini are certainly not immune from motoring troubles either - and these marques aren't exactly unknown for expensive diagnosis and repairs for nothing, especially when the warranty expires!

Questions about this engine. It has a knock sensor which adjusts engine firing I believe when it senses knocking. A friend of mine used Ron 92 octane mixed with Ron 95 octane (even though the manual states 95 is required) for about a year. He now has a cracked piston.

Are the two related? He argues that the engine will sort out itself and run with less power to avoid knocking. I'm thinking that the engine isn't a magician and knock still occurs but just reduced leading to his cracked piston. Engine is basically one year old.

Thoughts?

Only to a certain extent.
He would definitely have to keep the engine revs down and the engine load to a minimum. Otherwise, engine damage is a near certainty - as the cracked piston illustrates.
Has your friend worked out whether the cost savings of using a blend of 92 & 95 RON petrol was worth it? j:

Rawcpoppa
10-02-2012, 09:27 PM
One buys a Euro car for many, many reasons.
Reliability is not one of them, however.

But rest assured, you are not alone - many owners of Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Mini are certainly not immune from motoring troubles either - and these marques aren't exactly unknown for expensive diagnosis and repairs for nothing, especially when the warranty expires!

Only to a certain extent.
He would definitely have to keep the engine revs down and the engine load to a minimum. Otherwise, engine damage is a near certainty - as the cracked piston illustrates.
Has your friend worked out whether the cost savings of using a blend of 92 & 95 RON petrol was worth it? j:

Well the car is under warranty and I am not sure if the dealer has a way of knowing he used super unless the knock sensor readings are stored in memory.

Anyways he definitely did not keep revs to a minimum and I am sure he put the engine under high or max loads daily to and from work.

Here is the bit about the knock sensor for the 1.4 tsi engine

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/be53b0d8fbb8fe33-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/be53b0d8fbf30334-1.jpg

I'm surprised by the number of sensors and fail safes this thing has. Then again I am no car buff.

To the poster before Diesel_vert our country only has Ron 95 for our highest spec fuel and theses engines are built to suit. They aren't built for Ron 92 though. I guess he figured once the car "felt" ok with Ron 92 then he was in the clear...guess not!

kaanage
10-02-2012, 09:38 PM
The problem with rely on the knock sensors to allow running on lower octane fuel (than what the engine was designed for) is that the ECU will keep trying to run at its normal timing (and boost for a super/turbo charged engine) and will detune itself as a RESPONSE to knocking - it doesn't just stay detuned as it will keep testing to see if it can run as it is supposed to. This means that the engine will knock at a reduced rate just as you have surmised and damage will only be slowed, not prevented.

What your friend needs is a remap that runs with retarded ignition and lowered boost.

Diesel_vert
10-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Well the car is under warranty and I am not sure if the dealer has a way of knowing he used super unless the knock sensor readings are stored in memory.

Anyways he definitely did not keep revs to a minimum and I am sure he put the engine under high or max loads daily to and from work.

I'm surprised by the number of sensors and fail safes this thing has. Then again I am no car buff.

To the poster before Diesel_vert our country only has Ron 95 for our highest spec fuel and theses engines are built to suit. They aren't built for Ron 92 though. I guess he figured once the car "felt" ok with Ron 92 then he was in the clear...guess not!

Yes, as long as you use the correct grade of fuel required (min. 95 RON) you can safely operate the engine without causing any undue damage.

But using the wrong grade or type of fuel is not a warrantable claim, and your friend should be praying that the dealer doesn't find out.

Though if the dealer feels inclined, I suppose they can just get a test sample from the fuel tank...

Rawcpoppa
11-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Lol what my friend needs is a swift kick to the head. The money spent to remap would probably take a long while to be recouped in cheaper fuel.

I hadn't even considered the dealer taking a sample of his fuel to make a diagnosis. Initially I would say this dealer wouldn't go through the hassle but I realize alot of the procedures they do are simply done because VW insists that they do them...

On another note, not trying to stir up trouble but are there any known issues with the 118kw 1.4 tsi engine? I'll be receiving a mk6 Jetta in march and I would just like to know of what I should look out for as well as proper way to break in the engine.

brad
11-02-2012, 09:16 AM

The knock sensor needs to detect a knock before it sends a signal to the ECU. The ECU will (probably) richen the mixture, wind the timing back & reduce boost pressure. After that it will try & put all these parameters back to the datum until it gets a knock signal again. Therefore your mate was driving along with the engine detonating most of the time (you can't hear it).

Minimum fuel requirement really is a minimum.

He must have been going through fuel like a crazy mofo because when my dealer gave me a free tank of fuel they put in 92ron & fuel consumption increased about 2L/100km & torque was noticeably reduced.

92ron is false economy from every aspect.

Rockman
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Plenty of issues with TSI118 and DSG gearbox. If you do a search you will read all about the VW Golf lemons and lack of customer satisfaction that exists in the market.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-35.274219,149.130639
Rock The Boat C375 #54
Lake Macquarie Australia

Ryan_R
11-02-2012, 06:10 PM
So much for this being the *appreciation* thread ;)

Rawcpoppa
11-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Most of the issues I've read pertained to golfs from 2009 wrt 118tsi engines. Haven't really found issues from 2011 onwards so that bodes well.

Syd118TSI
11-02-2012, 08:33 PM
So much for this being the *appreciation* thread ;)

Depreciation thread (on resale for anyone reading this thread) :(

For those who have had engine problems were there any signs prior to the failures?

Roddy
11-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Rockman...from IORR?

Rockman
12-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Klosters try hard, but are flat out fixing up all the warranty issues. If the VW cars were not failing with motor/gearbox/clutch issues on new cars, they would be able to do service jobs sooner. When our alternator failed, they said it would take 7-10 days to get one in. They when it arrived they said "oh, you need to book it in now, and there is a 10 day wait". I asked why they did not book it in when they ordered the alternator. They said "oh, we didn't think of that".
Then when I rang up about the car not responding to the accelerator, they said "we can look at it in 2 weeks, so just keep driving it until it fails, they ring roadside assistance".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rockman
12-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Rockman...from IORR?

Not sure what you mean, so the answer is probably not!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roddy
15-02-2012, 12:29 AM
A user on IORR (It's Only Rock n Roll- a rolling stones web forum based out of Europe) has Rockman as username, from NSW I believe. Sorry for cryptic and nonsense post mate!

Rgds
Rod

RosscoMK3
26-02-2012, 04:25 PM
So.
Is my 118TSI MY10 going to blow up? It's an amazing little car and I hope to keep it for several years.

There's a "Rockman" on RTAW also. Not you me thinks.

I love my car which I paid for outright. No buyers remorse so far.
If it blows up I'll be well upset.

The 118TSI is a cracker. Very drivable.
With the sports pack it handles 90 degree turns at 50kmh and the Cahill Express way at 70kmh while changing lanes. The bit going onto the bridge that is.
For a cheaper car it's very refined and will suit most.

Ryan_R
26-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Even better with a Stage 1 ECU software remap ;)

RosscoMK3
26-02-2012, 04:38 PM
As soon as the warranty runs out. I'm there.

Brendan_A
26-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Even better with a Stage 1 ECU software remap ;)

+1 to that! Even better with S3 intercooler and exhaust!!:banana::banana:

Stelex
16-03-2012, 09:43 PM

Then ...

And it continues ...

After my last post just before Christmas they have replaced the Mechatronics. I have received my car back on 31/12/2011.

Since then:

The air conditioner started hissing again and the air compressor is getting loud, clear signs of low gas pressure.

Something (most likely the DSG) is making a short (2 sec) grinding noise every so often when turning left and accelerating in 3rd or 4th gear at low revs.

I just collected my Golf after 60.000km service. Guess what, two things that really didn't surprise me:

1 - they had to re-gas the air-con system, this is about 5th time.
2 - they have to replace the clutch pack - YET AGAIN. Apparently the one they put in some 10k ago and before the mechatronics died, has been superseeded as it was discovered that it goes out of shape in about 10.000km. So there is a completely new clutch pack that they have ordered from Germany, no ETA but some 6 weeks should be reasonable time to expect.

What's next, another dead engine maybe?

Does anyone have a not too rotten Holden Camira for sale, I think I'd be better off.

Mountainman
17-03-2012, 08:48 AM
I guess your next car won't be a VW and no-one could blame you. My Golf is the 2nd one I've owned (had a Mk1 in the late 70's) and they are the 2 most disappointing cars I've owned as far as service/reliability. The other 11 have all be basically trouble free Jap stuff but none of them have had the desirability when new of the Golfs - such a disappointment.

Stelex
17-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I guess your next car won't be a VW and no-one could blame you.

Obviously. The thing is, I lived in Germany for about 5 years in early nineties and had several Golfs (MkI and II), a Passat and a Jetta MkII, all between 5-10 years old and loved every single one of them. Had some small wear and tear issues with a few of them, but those were things that you'd expect to have.

But this "World car of the year" has been nothing but a lemon of the decade.

Syd118TSI
17-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Obviously. The thing is, I lived in Germany for about 5 years in early nineties and had several Golfs (MkI and II), a Passat and a Jetta MkII, all between 5-10 years old and loved every single one of them. Had some small wear and tear issues with a few of them, but those were things that you'd expect to have.

But this "World car of the year" has been nothing but a lemon of the decade.

That really sucks for you, there certainly does appear to be some real lemons out there, and yet plenty with no problems also.

Cavill
10-07-2012, 09:35 PM
I have had a 118TSI with the 7sp DSG since 30th of October.From new it had shuddering issues in D1 and D2. On the 26th of April I took the car back to the delaer who advised that a software update to be done as part of a 'campaign' would fix up the issue. Late that day they called to say they would be replacing the clutch kit (car has only done 6,000klm in 6 months) and I would need to pick up the car on the 27th.

I did not drive the vehicle on the 28th or 29th - on 30th the car got stuck in D2 whilst overtaking a truck in Homebush (anyome remember the VW ad for the 118TSi). Had thed car towed to the dealer.

They advised that they had never seen anything like it and would be sending the VAG reading to VW technical. VW technical then sent the reading on to VW Germany who advised that the gearbox needed to be changed.

The dealer advises that I would have the car back on 2 weeks.

I got my car back on the 25th of June - it has been with the dealer for 2 months. On the 18th they advised me that the replacement gearbox was yet to be manufactured in Germany and Bang! it was here. They must have just pulled the gearbox out of another car and installed it.

Now, the maximum torque is only available at much high revs, the shifts up using DSG are not as smooth and there is a definite lag on acceleration right through the gears. The steering wheel is left of centre, there are tree sap stains all over the car and the paint protection has beed damaged whilst at the dealer. Already written to the dealer and waiting the mandatory days before contacting Fair Trading NSW

To top matters off the door lock failed this afternoon and I cannot close or lock the drivers door - and I have no garage.

The A3 I traded this car in for may have been 10 years old but drove and handled like a dream compared to this.

RosscoMK3
11-07-2012, 10:36 AM
That's got to suck.
I'm still loving my 118TSI manual but have since driven a DSG version and it was a dog. The shuddering was apparent as soon as I drove it and the DSG just seemed the wrong match for the little 1.4 liter engine.
I was amazed at the difference between a GTI with DSG and the 118TSI. The GTI and DSG combo was so far ahead and made me glad I hated on auto during my purchase. The Manual gearbox makes the 118TSI a totally different car.

40k+ Kms and no problems so far (Touch wood). Although I did find out the previous owner had suffered a clutch fault from new, which was repaired by VW.
There's always a chance that the fault was driver related but I'll never know.

verbalhologram
06-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Hi Stelex,
I have been reading the DSG stuttering thread as I have had this happening in my 118 TSI for the past month and the latest thing is a clunking sound under the car when I take of at low speeds,especially noticable say when you are appraoching a speed hump/intersection and you quickly slow down then take off again. I also get a high pitched "sqeak"each time I initially touch the accelaerator??
My car is booked in for warranty check up and I was just wondering if there is anything I should say to make sure the dealer checks out what they need to be looking at.
BTW ,I feel your pain mate,I am onto year two of my Golf which is under leaseplan through my comapny,so cant get rid of it even if I wanted to,so very dissapointing,my first real new car too.

fillmore
06-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Hi Stelex,
I have been reading the DSG stuttering thread as I have had this happening in my 118 TSI for the past month and the latest thing is a clunking sound under the car when I take of at low speeds,especially noticable say when you are appraoching a speed hump/intersection and you quickly slow down then take off again. I also get a high pitched "sqeak"each time I initially touch the accelaerator??
My car is booked in for warranty check up and I was just wondering if there is anything I should say to make sure the dealer checks out what they need to be looking at.
BTW ,I feel your pain mate,I am onto year two of my Golf which is under leaseplan through my comapny,so cant get rid of it even if I wanted to,so very dissapointing,my first real new car too.

High pitched squeak will most likely be clutch for supercharger. An updated waterpump clutch is available to fix it.

Stelex
06-08-2012, 08:53 PM
Hi Stelex,

Make sure you explain them exactly what's happening. Initially I had a few knock-backs, like "we haven't found anything wrong" only for the problem to continue. Now I always ask for a mechanic to go for a drive with me so I can demonstrate the fault. I usually 'practice' before, so I know when exactly it would occur, so I can demonstrate it easily.

rockDAhouse
06-08-2012, 11:07 PM
I just collected my Golf after 60.000km service. Guess what, two things that really didn't surprise me:

1 - they had to re-gas the air-con system, this is about 5th time.
2 - they have to replace the clutch pack - YET AGAIN. Apparently the one they put in some 10k ago and before the mechatronics died, has been superseeded as it was discovered that it goes out of shape in about 10.000km. So there is a completely new clutch pack that they have ordered from Germany, no ETA but some 6 weeks should be reasonable time to expect.

What's next, another dead engine maybe?

Does anyone have a not too rotten Holden Camira for sale, I think I'd be better off.

Feel your pain Stelex as the only problem I haven't had in my car is the air-con. At the moment car is with dealership and since the car was towed in last Monday, no one from the dealership has contacted me about the status of my car. Numerous phone calls have been made now and I am so tired of waiting for their call back, I don't even know who is the service advisor allocated and have they look at my car yet. First thing I'm going to do when the car is back from fix, trade in and get another car, NOT from VW anymore because of their bad customer service. And I am going to contact fair trading and Accc tomorrow, because of the bad customer service, oh actually not "bad", I should said "NO" customer service as no one has contacted me yet.

verbalhologram
07-08-2012, 06:22 AM
Make sure you explain them exactly what's happening. Initially I had a few knock-backs, like "we haven't found anything wrong" only for the problem to continue. Now I always ask for a mechanic to go for a drive with me so I can demonstrate the fault. I usually 'practice' before, so I know when exactly it would occur, so I can demonstrate it easily.

Thanks for that mate, will be sure to try and be clear and ask that I can take one of the mechanics for a drive to demonstrate the problem.

CJ

Ryan_R
29-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Found a suitable flat road for testing the acceleration of my APR Stage 1 118TSI DSG (few a few of the heavier options ticked). I knew it was around 6.8 seconds to 100kph but wanted to do a better test using the Torque Pro app for Android, connected to the car's OBD port via bluetooth.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/Torque2520Screenshotpng-3.jpg

Using Sport mode with TCS on. Just get too much wheelspin with it off. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed. The 1.4L twincharged slightly beats the GTI and matches a stock Mk5 R32.

Actually if anyone has a GTI with Android phone I'd be interested to see their result. Torque Pro costs $4 and the bluetooth adapter is about $15 from eBay.

Lucas_R
29-08-2012, 06:09 PM
^ excellent result Ryan

redhot
29-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Does the app rely on the accuracy of the test cars' speedo? If so, Golf speedo's are generally optimistic.
Found a suitable flat road for testing the acceleration of my APR Stage 1 118TSI DSG (few a few of the heavier options ticked). I knew it was around 6.8 seconds to 100kph but wanted to do a better test using the Torque Pro app for Android, connected to the car's OBD port via bluetooth.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/Torque2520Screenshotpng-3.jpg

Using Sport mode with TCS on. Just get too much wheelspin with it off. Needless to say I'm pretty impressed. The 1.4L twincharged slightly beats the GTI and matches a stock Mk5 R32.

Actually if anyone has a GTI with Android phone I'd be interested to see their result. Torque Pro costs $4 and the bluetooth adapter is about $15 from eBay.

Ryan_R
29-08-2012, 07:10 PM
The OBD speedo is more accurate than the MFD one. @100kph the MFD is out by 8kph on my car, OBD is out by 3kph (assuming GPS and advisory speed traps are accurate). The car has to know the real speed otherwise your odometer would be out. You can test by setting cruise control to 100kph (MFD), then holding OK to clear your stored values, then watch the Average Speed show you something like 94kph.

RosscoMK3
29-08-2012, 08:55 PM
That's awsome. I just ordered one of the bluetooth jobbies for ****s and giggles and was wondering about how they go.

Just for reference, I had no trouble getting 9 secs in a standard 118tsi manual with the stopwatch in my hand and the 100km/hr being 107km/hr on the speedo. There's a good lag in hitting the start button and then fumbling to stop it.
I was pleasantly supprised, as the manufacturers specs say 8 secs.

I'm still waiting for mine to blow up under warranty but it seems to be going fine.

Ryan_R
29-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Well my warranty runs out this week so maybe I'll have to start slowing down a bit more :)

logger
30-08-2012, 09:44 AM
The OBD speedo is more accurate than the MFD one. @100kph the MFD is out by 8kph on my car, OBD is out by 3kph.. My bold. Therefore your true time would be nearer 6.7sec (6.5 x 1.03), because your car is only doing ~97 when OBD thinks it hits 100 & 100 when OBD thinks is its 103. Either way good. I think I was doing 6.9s when I played around with mine 3 years ago. The canbus speed (ABS wheel speed sensors) or what you are calling OBD is spot on in my car. Zero error at 100kph when measured with VCDS.

Ryan_R
30-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Not too fussed, haha. How many cars do you come across on any given day that are quicker by a few tenths.. or quicker at all for that matter? Maybe once a month for me. Did you make any changes to get your ABS sensor speed accurate?

redhot
01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Ryan R, can I ask which OBD BT device you purchased via ebay for the Torque Pro app? Keen to give this a go asap. BTW, there is a new update file for APR stage 1.
FYI, this my 2nd update since original install 3/12. Have you had a run at a drag strip re 0-400m time?

Brendan_A
01-09-2012, 06:20 PM
redhot, tell me more about this APR update, any difference?

Ryan_R
01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Had version 1.1 installed July '12, tbh I don't notice any difference. You'd need to ask Guy I suppose. There's another version for newer 118TSI's that come with a better fuel pump giving extra performance, but I don't have that new fuel pump so would have to get the newer one... don't think it's worth it in the long run.

Latest version of Bluetooth available here from recommended supplier: VW Bluetooth KIT 7P6035730L - Retrofit - Newest Version (http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-bluetooth-kit-7p6035730l-retrofit-newest-version,id417.html)

redhot
01-09-2012, 07:13 PM
redhot, tell me more about this APR update, any difference?No increase re power,
just (AFAIK) streamlining. Idle does seem smoother to me.

Pramki
01-09-2012, 09:35 PM
I am looking at buying a 118TSI. I have paid $1000 deposit for the car to be delivered in 2 weeks.
After reading the issues, I am really worried. Should I be worried with the MY13 version. Should I change the order to a 103TDI.(not sure if the dealership would agree.

Ryan_R
01-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Think you'll be fine, just us pioneers with the first batch of new DSG7 gearboxes had a few problems. Car is fantastic besides that.

Pramki
02-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks Ryan. If anyone has come across issues with the more recent versions, please do share.
Cheers

RosscoMK3
08-09-2012, 08:00 PM
Well my warranty runs out this week so maybe I'll have to start slowing down a bit more :)

I'll be ffffed if I know how you get the wheels to stick with the tune?
A straight line aint so bad but once you start throwing them around tight corners it's hard to tell if the ESC is doing anything at all(unless you turn it off of course).
My biggest complaint so far would be the massive slap fest that goes on when dumping it up a steep incline. AKA the express ramp at broadway. I know this is a front wheel drive thing but it's bad enough with a standard tune.
How bad are these problems with the tune and what can be done to minimise the negative effects?

I'm sure the manual vs DSG plays a big part in things also. My user error is probably more pronounced in the manual.

logger
08-09-2012, 08:51 PM
I'll be ffffed if I know how you get the wheels to stick with the tune?
A straight line aint so bad but once you start throwing them around tight corners it's hard to tell if the ESC is doing anything at all(unless you turn it off of course).
Must be a Manual GB thing (& perhaps tyres as well). On mine (DSG7) ESP/ESC works very well when I floor it from stop and no slip. With the traction control OFF I get noticeable axle tramp though. OTOH I would never find my self under full acceleration from a stop going around tight corners.
You do realise dont you Rossco that you cannot really turn the ESC off. Only the traction control part thereoff. So it will still try and keep you upright around the twisty bits.

My car has a new lease of life nowadays with updated DSG7 software and APR v1.1 prog. Love having a bog standard looking car that actually goes like the clappers.

Without the tune though it is a bit of dog though - VW have hobbled stock tune on the 118 back to around 106 from what I have been told. Or another way to look it is that tune makes more of a difference now than it did in the past :P

RosscoMK3
08-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Axle tramp. That's the term I was looking for.

The tyres are the Potenza's so I don't think that's the issue. I'm pretty sure it's the user being able to play with the clutch more aggressively coming out of bends at lower speeds.
You can overpower the front wheels during tight turns while doing 20-30kms(at a guess) and still get tramp to a degree. on a steep incline it's a pain but it really helps to overcome the horrible understeer I was suffering before.
The 118 reminds me of my old 2 stroke bike.

Ryan_R
08-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Axle tramp/wheel hop is only an issue if I floor it from stand-still and rely on traction control. I just take it easy until the revs are up, then give it some more, then once I'm in second the foot hits the floor. If it's wet I'll get the TC light on in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear, but that's to be expected since weight is shifting to the rear and it's a FWD car. I spent over $200 per corner for tyres and I do sim racing at home so I don't experience any cornering issues. Only twice have I felt ESP kick in when on a spirited drive (you should be able to feel individual wheels braking).

Can't accelerate out of sharp turns (i.e. intersections) too quickly since we don't have XDL, either wait til the tyres are straight or feather the throttle better to manage the grip levels.

RosscoMK3
09-09-2012, 07:23 AM
:P
either wait til the tyres are straight or feather the throttle better to manage the grip levels.
Now if I wanted to go fast in a straight line, I'd have bought something different.:P My favourite part about driving the golf is pushing it around tight bends. It has no problems just rolling around them at a decent rate but I've found it can understeer pretty badly if you don't keep the power up.
In the manual you're doing around 80-90km/hr in second gear before you need to bump it up and if you're going up a steep hill 3rd just knocks the wind out of things. (In a straight line upto 110km/hr I tend to skip straight from a brief 3rd to 6th unless it's a massive hill).
What sort of speeds is the car doing when you get TC lighting up in 3rd?

It seems I'm not upto date with all my ESP's, TC's, XDL's and whatnots so bear with me in that regard. I know what your talking about now with the ESP as I experienced it when I muffed one of the hairpins going up the Kings Hwy from Batemans bay to Braidwood. The car does it's thing and you unclench without really doing much. Was I going to crash? I doubt it but it was very comforting nonetheless.
I'm not really sure about the whole TC thing though. When you turn the ESP off, ( I know you said it never turns off but that's whats' on the button), the car is still very drivable albeit a little skittish. Is the TC just adjusting power to the wheels?

I'd be interested to have a drive in the same setup with the DSG just to see the difference in the power delivery. The only one I've driven had no sports kit and the handling was very different. I can't say I was overly impressed with the DSG 118tsi combination although I never got to play around with any sports mode or take it for a long drive.
By the sounds of things the tune really blends the two together better than standard.

PS. Just a couple of quick Q's Ryan. What tyres are you getting for around the $200+ dollar mark and what's with sim racing? Is that computer games?

Ryan_R
09-09-2012, 12:33 PM
The ESP off button is labelled wrong, same with my car. It only turns off TC.

XDL is an add-on to ESP giving the GTI better cornering ability.

I was originally looking for Conti's but all the good stuff started at 17", so I got the best Toyo's available in the standard 205/55/R16 size. Can't remember the exact name off the top of my head. Tyre's make the biggest difference and if you like driving fast then you want the safest rubber underneath.

Sim race is sort-of computer games, except a lot more expensive equipment and much more hardcore software. Simulators obviously aren't the same as the real thing but they're the best way to practice finding the limit balanced with advanced car control skills. All the V8 Supercar drivers for example use simulators based off the old GTR 2 title as well as using the iRacing service.

logger
09-09-2012, 06:43 PM
... Is the TC just adjusting power to the wheels?
Yes. Cannot recall the exact parameters. It is a subsystem of the Electronic Stability Control system designed to prevent wheelspin on launch. Reduces torque to the engine when loss off traction (slip) is sensed but only in speed range from zero up to something like 40kph. (Cant recall exact upper limit).. They allow you turn it off so that you can get going on the rare occasion you have to drive on ice/snow or some other super slipper thing you probably should not be driving on anyway.

RosscoMK3
09-09-2012, 07:08 PM
I did a heap of study on the different systems and have a better understanding now.
The ESP off button does confuse things a little.The multifunction display shows TCS at least and I suppose that's part of the ESP system.
There was one bit of chatter I read that mentioned the golfs ESP was never totally off but was less sensitive with the ESP off button engaged. Unfortunately I couldn't find too much golf specific info on the workings of the systems. Any literature from VW just says"It's german engineering, it will be safe and good yes". If you know anything more please share.
I went for a few drives today and found the ESP off button resolved one anoying cornering characteristic on really tight hairpins. The car no longer tries to counter the understeer with brakes which would suggest the ESP is less active. I could be imagining things but that's what it seems like to me.

I didn't realise yours was running 16s. Damn it, I thought you were going to point me in the right direction for a super mega deal on cheaper rubber but alas, the quickly shrinking rubber bands are going to cost me after all. The best price I could manage was just shy of $300 each in pairs (if using the same bridgestone potenza's).

Sim race sounds a little better than playing with a steering wheel on the old PS2.

RosscoMK3
09-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Yes. Cannot recall the exact parameters. It is a subsystem of the Electronic Stability Control system designed to prevent wheelspin on launch. Reduces torque to the engine when loss off traction (slip) is sensed but only in speed range from zero up to something like 40kph. (Cant recall exact upper limit).. They allow you turn it off so that you can get going on the rare occasion you have to drive on ice/snow or some other super slipper thing you probably should not be driving on anyway.

I guess I originally figured the TCS should stop the axle tramp but it does sweet FA. You live and learn I guess.

Ryan_R
09-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Washed the car today, tyres are Toyo Proxes

Brendan_A
09-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I guess I originally figured the TCS should stop the axle tramp but it does sweet FA. You live and learn I guess.

Lower torque arm insert and anti lift kit will help eliminate axle tramp.

All I get is mad wheel spin;)

Ryan_R
09-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Do you get automatic lane change as well? :P

Brendan_A
09-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Nah not really hey, mines pretty good.

How about you?

Ryan_R
09-09-2012, 08:54 PM
On rare cases if wet and I'm being silly. Or easily done if wet and TC is off. Of course I immediately sense when it's starting to happen and back off at the right time depending on how much room I have