PDA

View Full Version : New improved dynamically variable steering!

Peter Jones
01-11-2005, 10:02 AM
I've finally got some time off to fix up some of the things in the golf that I haven't had the time to look at. One of the things that's been a bit of a mystery until now is why the steering wheel would change position while you are driving. After a left turn the steering wheel spokes would be horizontal once you returned to driving straight but when you turned a right corner the wheel is cocked about 30 degrees clockwise.

To cut a long story short, the rubber blocks that clamp the rack to the body are shot. The rack actually moves about an inch side to side when you turn the wheel!

One of the less amusing effects is what happens when you're pulling hard out of a corner and the torque steer tries to slide the steering rack out of the car!

All will be fixed soon - new rubbers are on the way!

Pete Jones

Golf Loon
01-11-2005, 10:04 AM
That sounds extremely dangerous and quirky. Nice to see you can still drive the car like that!

Peter Jones
01-11-2005, 10:10 AM
and it passed a roadworthy that way!

I'm getting really sick and tired of having to fix really petty stuff for roadworthies and having the major dangerous stuff overlooked. The whole process seems flawed to me.

Next challenge is replacing the dash. I've got a freshly skinned one I picked up for $100 to swap into it over the next few days.

Pete

Golf Loon
01-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Next challenge is replacing the dash. I've got a freshly skinned one I picked up for $100 to swap into it over the next few days.

What a bargain.

Get the stereo out and take the steering wheel off. The rest is easy, provided you have double jointed wrists to undo the 4 bolts on the edges.

Peter Jones
04-11-2005, 08:06 PM
I just finished putting the steering rack bushes in the Golf. What a job! I ended up having to remove an engine mount to get the bolts out! I'm still trying to get the grease off myself.

The problem with the rack was that one of the bolts that holds the clamps around the rubbers was broken off. The broken bolt was on the mount that locates the rack and stops it moving sideways, the other mount just holds it up. So once the locating clamp was free to move around, the rack just slid back and forth through the other clamp. Oh and of course the rubbers were stuffed by all the motion.

I got neoprene rack mount rubbers for $30 from Super Cheap Auto of all places! It only took them a day to get them in.

All because of one snapped bolt. Bloody mechanic should have fixed it when he snapped it off. (Unlikely to have spontaneously snapped!)

Just took it for a test drive, vast improvement. :lol: Once I get the hang of the understeer this is going to be a whole lot of fun. Next stop shock shopping!

Pete.

Golf Loon
20-11-2005, 02:50 PM
Yeah Peter took me a spin in this $800 ebay golf with a GTI engine and steering for the beast is essential. Was quite impressed with the car and nice to meet you guys. 8)

Bluerex
20-11-2005, 07:03 PM
I now have two sets of rack rubbers from prothane... very pretty red ones... trouble is I dont think my 77 rack uses them. Is this possible?
C

Peter Jones
21-11-2005, 12:59 PM
What do they look like? The ones I got suited 76 to 83 from memory. They're both "D" shaped. One has a round hole, the other a square hole. Worth doing - the stock rubber ones are probably getting a bit squishy by now!

No, problems Loony. Don't go too mad with those stickers or you won't be able to see out the windows! That Alternator's up and running. Thanks again.

Pete Jones

Bluerex
21-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Yep, D shaped describes them pretty well. The Latest Golf+ mag has a pictorial on the upgrade, it's just that my rack looks slightly different. Not really a problem, more a curiosity

C

Golfwise
22-11-2005, 09:29 PM
77 Golfs have the early type rack.You don't need them.
and therefore don't suffer the problems the rubber mounted ones do.

Golf Loon
22-11-2005, 09:37 PM
Are there any internal difference between early and late type racks?

Golfwise
22-11-2005, 09:56 PM
Not that I know of :?: