PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Advice

wombatoutofhell
06-11-2009, 05:42 PM
The time has come for new boots for the RS. The Michelin Pilot Sports on it are excellent, but expensive-I've had quotes of upwards of $570 a tyre. The Michelin Pilot Preceda are about $100 cheaper, but they are a W speed rating as compared to the Sports Y rating. I've also has prices and recomendations from various dealers for Good Year Eagle Assymetrics ($440), Dunlop SP Maxx TT ($440), Maxxis M35 ($295, W speed rating), Pirelli PZero ($550), Continental Sports Contact 2 and 3 (both about $550) and Falken ZE912 ($250, W Speed rating).
A W speed rating is legal for the car and probably good enough for the way I drive, but I think I prefer the added security of the Y. Has anyone any comments/experience on any of these or would like to suggest something else? Yokohama maybe?
At the moment I could get away with just replacing the rears which have worn badly-they were fronts with an ordinary wheel alighment. The other 2 tyres have about 2 or 3 mm of wear left until I get to the wear indicators. The car has just under 40,000km on it and these are the original tyres.
Cheers.

TuNeS
06-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Tyres are such a subjective topic and everyone I have spoken to has a different opinion. Unless you get to drive them back to back in the same car its hard to draw a comparison.

I have the Dunlop SP Maxx TT tyres which came on the car. I cant complain or fault them to be honest.

Let us know what you get and what you think or them when you get your new boots.

K1W1
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
From memory W rating is a speed up to about 270kph and Y is up to 300 kph.
How often will you be exceeding 270kph in Victoria?

wombatoutofhell
06-11-2009, 09:33 PM
You have the ratings right Kiwi-but I had W rated tyres on my last car (Holden Berlina V8 wagon, Fulda Exelero's and Bridgestone Adrenalines) and they were not as good as I would have liked-and neither was good when they wore down a bit. The Pilot Sports on the Skoda I really have to push to get them to let go at all-although I do get some wheelspin if I try and take off too quick. I may yet go for W's but was after some opinions first. Regardless of what I buy, it's alot of money to spend on tyres that might not work on the Skoda.

woofy
06-11-2009, 10:35 PM
What are Pilot exalto 2s worth...that is what came on mine and a mates....

gregozedobe
07-11-2009, 12:46 AM
The poms on Briskoda seem pretty keen on Falken 452s and Vredstein Sessantra Ultrac (sp ?).

I like my RS' Michelin Exalto 2s, but I don't think they would grip as well as PS2s.

zach
07-11-2009, 06:57 AM
like their cars the koreans have come a long way with tyres so Kuhmos are worth a look. also value for money are Toyo

dazag
07-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Yep, it's all subjective. What do you want from your tyre, good dry grip, good wet grip, good wear, low road noise, relative low cost, all of the above etc etc.......
Just need to research each tyre and see how they compare on paper for what you want.
But also remember, just because your Commodore wagon didn't like the Bridgestones or Fulda's, doesn't mean they wont suit the Skoda ( bit of difference in geometry & weight, and I'm assuming tyre dimensions ).
Also are you going with the exact same dimension tyre?? Sometimes to get slightly better grip you can go up one size in profile (40 to a 45). Also this helps with road noise and can also be a cheating way to get your speedo more accurate. You shouldn't loose any of the steering/handling sharpness of the 40's when running 45's.
The other thing to, from what I understand is that the speed rating of a tyre doesn't relate to grip, but more to construction - being able to withstand the high speed and not disintergrate/delaminate.

Let us know what you go with, I'll be curious to hear what you go with and how they hold up.

K1W1
07-11-2009, 02:05 PM
The other thing to, from what I understand is that the speed rating of a tyre doesn't relate to grip, but more to construction - being able to withstand the high speed and not disintergrate/delaminate.

Correct but it is illegal to fit a tyre with a lower rating to any vehicle than what is printed on the tyre plate usually located in the front door area. You could be in very dangerous areas regarding insurance if you did and had an accident that could in any way be pinned on the tyres. Even if you only pottered around in 60kph zones and NEVER went over 80kph you could not for example fit H rated tyres to a vRS (assuming that you could find some that would fit).

Calais
07-11-2009, 02:16 PM
I can vouch for the Michelin Pilot Precedas, I had on my Fiat Punto after the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE050's had done 55,000km. The Michelins were definately a better highway tyre, with a more compliant ride and quiet manners on 'b' roads. I also felt as though the Michelins dealt with wet weather and standing water slightly better than the OEM Bridgestones.

When I honestly considered my driving style, which doesnt involve a whole lot of hard cornering or a racetrack antics, The Michelins were just a better suit for how I like to drive. Thats not to say they wouldnt have fared any better or worse than the Bridgestones in an emergency.

As for the price comparison, the Bridgestones were $370, the Michelins were only $230 for the 205/45r17 size.

I felt as though I had achieved a reasonable milage out of the Bridgestone with 55,000km mostly highway km without a single hiccup or puncture. However when I traded the Fiat in, with 80,000km, the Michelins werent even a third of the way towards the treadblock indicators, which made me wonder just how far they would have gone, I would have estimated until 130,000km or there abouts.

In summary, Michelin Pilot Precedas for the win.

TuNeS
07-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Another thought which can sometimes skew people's opinion of tyres is that the new tyre always feels much better than the older tyre that came off. This is like comparing apples with oranges. The older tyre is worn out and doesnt generate the grip it once did which is why your replacing it.

I think you cant go wrong with most of the major manufacturer's. You not looking for tenths around a race track, your looking for something you drive everyday. I honestly think there isnt much in it and people seem to find these 'huge' differences which realistically dont exist. Ok, there is a difference between Bob Jane all rounder and your top of line Bridgestone, but I think the tyres that come in the range of the first post would all be very similar. Just buy the ones you can get the best deal on within reason.

Just my thoughts.........

woofy
07-11-2009, 08:18 PM
PEs only $230.....I thought th PE2s were around the $500 mark and had to be ordered in. If they are that cheap I'll definitely go them again, as they have been great so far. I will need to replace the Potenzas on the 6 sometime soon too.

dazag
07-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Correct but it is illegal to fit a tyre with a lower rating to any vehicle than what is printed on the tyre plate usually located in the front door area. You could be in very dangerous areas regarding insurance if you did and had an accident that could in any way be pinned on the tyres. Even if you only pottered around in 60kph zones and NEVER went over 80kph you could not for example fit H rated tyres to a vRS (assuming that you could find some that would fit).

Yes I know this K1W1, and to let you know the minimum rating for the tyres on my RS according to that plate is "V", although it does have Y rated tyres fitted at the moment. There is also a minimum load rating as well.
I was just saying that there will be next to no grip difference between a W & Y rated tyre.

gregozedobe
08-11-2009, 01:13 AM
I can vouch for the Michelin Pilot Precedas, .....

As for the price comparison, the Bridgestones were $370, the Michelins were only $230 for the 205/45r17 size.

PEs only $230.....I thought th PE2s were around the $500 mark and had to be ordered in. If they are that cheap I'll definitely go them again, as they have been great so far.

Note: Calais is talking about Michelin Pilot PRECEDAS (not Exalto PE2s), and 205/45R17 (not the 225/40R18 size as fitted to vRS's). I just tried a google search to get an idea of how much PE2s to suit vRS's sell for, after 10 minutes of getting nowhere I gave up.

aussiers
11-11-2009, 02:25 PM
I recently got a quote for the Exalto PE2s 225/40R18 size as fitted to vRS's. $550-$560 but the 550 was out of stock.

Not a cheap tyre and seeing that the car won't be doing 300kph in Vic or anywhere else for that matter (would need a fair bit more than 147kw) i won't worry about the speed rating (though point noted re minimum for insurance) when it comes replacement time.

Cheers

pinzvidz
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
The poms on Briskoda seem pretty keen on Falken 452s

Currently have FK452s on the wife's GTI. Good wearing, excellent grip (wet and dry), and not too noisy.

If we decide on getting a vRS, which I'm pretty sure we will, when the time comes to replace tyres on it, I'll definitely be going the FK452s again.

wombatoutofhell
07-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Ok-time for an update. I ended up going for Falken ZR912 (http://www.falkentyres.com.au/tyres/passenger-ZE912.html) (225/40 R18XL 92W). They were recomended to me by a tyre place and when looking at reviews online they seemed like they were worth a shot. I've done about 2000km on them now and I'm quietly impressed. They aren't as good as the Pilot Sports that were on it, but I don't tend to thrash around alot so decided that I really didn't need the best money could buy. The Falkens are quieter that the Michelins, grip well in wet or dry and have a very comfortable ride. The only real problem is that if I get enthusiastic I can chirp the front tyres in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The Michelins would also do this but only when they were almost worn out. They were better at gatting power to ground when they were newer. Best part was price-Michelin Pilot Sports-$580 each was the best price I got. The Falkens were $260. Even if I only get 1/2 the wear I'm ahead. Of course they may not be as good when they are 1/2 worn-time will tell.

Not such a positive review for the supplier. When I asked about tyres, I was told these are good-true from what I can tell. I was also told they could give me a good price as they had ordered a set in for a customer who had cancelled. I booked it in for a Saturday so I could do some shopping while they had it and I didn't have to worry about rushing after work or anything. So far so good.

About an hour later, they called me (different salesman that the one who'd sold me the tyres) and said the supplier had sent the wrong sized tyre. Apparently they hadn't checked before they went to fit them. Sort of makes the statement "we have them in stock as someone else cancelled" sound like B/S.

So I had to rebook it for Monday after work. "get it here by 4 and we'll have you out about 5:15" I was told. I thought I'd do the right thing and I had it there by 3. I went off for a coffee. The car was ready by 5. I wasn't overly happy. Then I realised that the 2 front tyres weren't in the back (I had asked to keep them as they still had a few mm tread left and it seemed a shame to waste them). So I asked for them back. No problems.

All was well I thought, although I looked at the bill and saw I was charged for the disposal of 4 tyres but I decided it wasn't worth argueing over $4. However when I went out later that night the tyre pressure alarm went off. I put this down to the fact I hadn't reset it so did the reset. It seemed Ok. On the way to work the next day it went off again. I checked the pressures when I got to work and found the right front was down about 16 PSI. I pumped it up and rang the tyre place who said to bring it back. Of course I'm bringing it back dip****!

I had to pump it up during the day as it lost 10psi sitting for 8 hours. They took about an hour and found it was a leaking valve and replaced it. So third time lucky and they finally had it right. Well almost-when the car went in for the tyres it had metal valve caps (although 1 was missing). When I got it back it had plastic. I decided I didn't want anything else to do with them so let it slide-I'll buy some metal ones myself.

Tyres good-dealer bad. I wont deal with Bob Jane again. For anyone interested it was the Fountain Gate store. I think I'll send a copy of this post to their head office.

Oh-I have a pair of Michelin Pilot Sports 225/40/18's if anyone wants to sling me a few bucks for them. Thay only have 2 or 3 mm left to the wear indicators but could get you out of strife if you need something to tide you over or something to kill on a track day.

backdoc
07-12-2009, 08:31 PM
My MkV R32 came with Conti Contact Sport II. They were a bugger of a tyre. Soft and puncture prone. I've never had a flat driving for 13 years and I had 5 with these tyres. At $550 a corner that ain't good. Tread was gone by 20,000km and I was not keen to use them again.

I went with the Marangoni's. They won a Motor Tyre test couple of years ago. Italian rubber. 225/40 R18 Y rated at about $250 a corner from Total Tyre Factory, but I believe there is a place in Fawkner that have them for under 200 bucks. Best thing is they have a lifetime warranty (obviuosly for the life of the tyre) on punctures. If it can't be repaired it is replaced free.

A week after I had them fitted I hit a black painted kerb that was within a petrol station. Sliced the side wall open, end of tyre and nice ding in alloy. Went to TTF were tyre were fitted and within half an hour brand new tyre fitted free of charge. Awesome!

K1W1
07-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Well almost-when the car went in for the tyres it had metal valve caps (although 1 was missing). When I got it back it had plastic.

There must be dumpsters full of metal valve caps somewhere. I have never had metal ones returned yet. My wife is so paranoid about it she takes the metal ones off before she goes in for new tyres then throws the plastic ones away when she gets home and replaces them with the metals.

gregozedobe
08-12-2009, 05:59 PM
My wife is so paranoid about it she takes the metal ones off before she goes in for new tyres then throws the plastic ones away when she gets home and replaces them with the metals.

That is a perfectly reasonable thing to do - saves all the hassles. I do that too (when I remember) :P

For those that are reading this and wondering why the fuss about metal valve caps - here are two useful tips:

1 Metal valve caps with a good seal are a useful safety thing. If your valve happens to leak, metal valve caps will stop your tyres from losing pressure, most plastic valve caps allow your tyre to go flat.

2 Only buy cheap plain black ones (eg from Supercheap), pretty coloured or chrome ones will get nicked (often by kids for their pushbikes).

woofy
08-12-2009, 06:29 PM
The wheel chirping worries me with those falkens, I have pretty much never seen it with the PE2s.

gregozedobe
08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
The wheel chirping worries me with those falkens, I have pretty much never seen it with the PE2s.

The PE2s on my RS have been known to utter the odd "squeek" (of excitement ?) if I get a bit too enthusiastic with the accelerator pedal, especially in 1st and 2nd gear when taking off hard.
:wasntme: