PDA

View Full Version : Skoda's kicking it in the Wheels Gold Star Car Awards!

Jake02
05-11-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm over the moon, and it's because of Skoda's four high positions in this Wheels magazine test that rates cars altogether in terms of running costs (petrol, insurance, finance etc). These are:
Small Hatch from $26-31k - Roomster, third.
Medium from $31k - 46k - Octavia TSI, first.
Large - $36k-45k - Superb Ambition TSI, second.
Large - $45k-60k - Superb Elegance TDI, first.
There were also a number of other VW Group cars in high positions.

With results like that (AND the average Skoda resale now at 68% after three years (despite only being here for two...) instead of 51%...) it is really hard to argue against Skoda in the range (especially considering what they offer!).
I predict sales to really start picking up now (especially with the Yeti coming...hopefully...soon)! :D

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
06-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Although the vehicle has strong credentials when even comparing brochure specs to brochure specs to its competitors (subaru, honda, mazda etc) there is still an element of aprehension with Skoda. This award seemed to put those doubts aside for a lot of my current clients. One saw the A Current Affair report on the awards and that was enough to sway her to proceed with the purchase.

As much as i'm not a huge fan of motor write ups becuase of their tendancies for bias and a huge skew towards personal agenda's, (and no it's not lost on me that this is the main reason why people hate salesman) i must admit this has helped the brand emencely. It has silenced the doubter's and put some confidence into potential buyers and credibility to the brand.

We are depserate for the Yeti and (with fingers crossed) the Fabia but nothing has been set in concrete yet as far as month and pricing for OZ. It is glaringly obvious though that it will be the model that puts us firm on the map here in Australia when it does arrive.

Transporter
06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
We are depserate for the Yeti and (with fingers crossed) the Fabia but nothing has been set in concrete yet as far as month and pricing for OZ. It is glaringly obvious though that it will be the model that puts us firm on the map here in Australia when it does arrive.

How about 4motion with DSG in Octavia or DSG in Scout4x4?

K1W1
06-11-2009, 01:08 PM
If I were a potential Australian buyer with no great knowledge of Skoda I would seriously question the credibility and accuracy of any award given on the basis of three year retained value when the marque had only been on the Australian market for 2 years.

I ordered mine on the basis of the overseas quality satisfaction awards, the relationship with the VAG group and my previous knowledge and experience with models like the 100 series

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/11/skoda100l6-1.jpg

and 120 series

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/11/3558954199_083ab839a5-1.jpg

back in the 1970's and early 1980's.

Transporter
06-11-2009, 02:44 PM
K1W1,
where did you get the second picture(it's from 80's, there was no Skoda Favorit in 70's, on left from Skoda105/120) from?

edit: Yeah, Skoda Favorit 1.3L FWD 5speed gearbox and very good fuel economy.

K1W1
06-11-2009, 04:39 PM
K1W1,
where did you get the second picture(it's from 80's, there was no Skoda Favorit in 70's, on left from Skoda105/120) from?

Google images. Search on "Skoda LS 120"

wombatoutofhell
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
I saw the article as well but missed the "A Current Affair" bit. I'll try and find it online.
My wife was very interested in the Fabia but as it hasn't arrived here yet she's bought a Fiat 500 instead. That's 1 potential sale lost.
I was pretty sceptical when I was looking for a car-I actually had no idea Skoda's were back in Australia and found the car I eventually bought by accident online-I was after a Peugeot 307 wagon or something like that. I liked the look and did some research (including joining this forum) and found that the only things most journo's picked as problems were really little things that weren't important. Most praised it. I had a drive and was hooked-I still am.
Unfortunately, alot of people don't read motoring magazines or don't do the research. They go by advertising and what the dealer tells them. Most wouldn't drive to the other side of town to look at a car they've never heard of anyway-there's lot's of car dealers local to them so why go so far away to find a car? I think if Skoda did some more advertising it would help. The current "convince your better half" campaign (for the RS)is great but it's only online from what I can see-only people who are allready interested are going to see it.
Unfortunately, because of people remembering what Skoda's were like last time they were out here, not knowing the product at all or thinking Skoda is a new make with no history or support, I think Australians will continue to look elsewhere. A shame because they'll be missing what I think are among the best built, most practical and best value new cars on the market. I bet the new VW golf wagon when released will take alot of sales that could have gone to the Octavia Wagon as well.

aslsw
06-11-2009, 06:51 PM
When I started looking at cars, the only thing I knew about the Skoda was that it had the DSG gearbox. My brother-in-law has a Golf R32 which I have driven a bit in Europe and I really love the DSG.

But when we went to all of the car yards, the Skoda dealer was the only one who actually made an effort to sell the car - from the minute we walked into the yard. We've had four drives in the car, including a full day and an overnight loan. We've also had a drive in the Superb

Yes, facts and figures make a difference for me, but the approach of salesmen can made the difference for my wife.

Mazda? No-one came near us in half-an-hour of hanging around. VW? Ditto, even though one salesman was eating a hamburger. Honda? Tried to sell us down to another car. Ford? Tried to sell us up to another car.

The Skoda will be bought as soon as I get back to Australia (and I will be posting some questions about options soon).

spellbound
06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Wombat absolutely spot on , exactly how i approached it, jd power uk was the convincer , dealers new bugger .

Maybe skoda are approaching it the correct way , only thinkers need apply , spread by word of mouth builds your brand better than any advertising

I operate in retail , and there are plenty of supplies who spin the advertising bull , gets suckers by the car load , the public are very gullable .

TuNeS
06-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I was after a Peugeot 307 wagon

I bet your glad you bought the Skoda! Peugeot.........say no more.

Jake02
06-11-2009, 08:49 PM
I bet your glad you bought the Skoda! Peugeot.........say no more.

Too right. A $39k on-road quote for a 308 hatch XSE 2.0HDi manual with only the panoramic roof was a little unsettling, as was the four-month wait, all because dad (I'm 15 remember) wanted a manual! Bit pathetic really...as well as a completely anal salesman who tried to sell us the $5k more model because we couldn't get a manual within a short time. Ridiculous!

Add to that Peugeot's LAST place (as opposed to Skoda's FIRST/second places) in all the surveys and the Skoda is a much better option. And I haven't even got to the cars themselves!

wombatoutofhell
06-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I was looking at a 307 not a 308-my budget wouldn't extend to a new pug. I was looking at all options for a small wagon but really wanted euro rather than japenese. I was dissapointed with the small wagons on sale from all manufacturers in my range-none had any flair or character. Enter a bright yellow RS! I had to stretch the budget a couple of grand but it was worth it-and still close to what I would have paid for a later model 307. Other options were a Suby impreza rs (uncomfortable), mazda 6 (would also have been a stretch) Hyundai I30 (seriously considered this-not a bad car-just a boring one) and a few others.
At the last Melbourne Motor Show I sat in every wagon that was on display-from Kia to Audi (A4, S3 and A3) and even with an unlimited budget I still would have gone for the RS.

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
07-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Absolutely, we probably really needed this at the start of this year to make some in roads against the likes of subaru, having the auto diesel as a point of difference. They have given us an attentive date of July 2010 with a rather destinct MAYBE in front of it.

Like everyhting VW they keep things pretty close to the chest.

4thchicken
08-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Although the vehicle has strong credentials when even comparing brochure specs to brochure specs to its competitors (subaru, honda, mazda etc) there is still an element of aprehension with Skoda. This award seemed to put those doubts aside for a lot of my current clients. One saw the A Current Affair report on the awards and that was enough to sway her to proceed with the purchase.

As much as i'm not a huge fan of motor write ups becuase of their tendancies for bias and a huge skew towards personal agenda's, (and no it's not lost on me that this is the main reason why people hate salesman) i must admit this has helped the brand emencely. It has silenced the doubter's and put some confidence into potential buyers and credibility to the brand.

If skoda/dealers havent already, then they should be putting together information packs with as many car reviews from australian journos as possible to provide prospective clients.

Whist some reviewers may have agendas,that every review of the RS that I came across was fairly positive was enough to sway me to purchase when weighed up against a few other cars that I was interested in (golf 6 TDI, mazda 3 SP25 with all options, accord euro, mini, peugeot 308)

It was a close call though and tbh to say that the skoda dealership I eventually purchased from wasnt that great would be an understatement - an unwillingness to offer an overnight testdrive (ie I had to convince them that I didnt think a 15-30 minute testdrive in peak hour/crowded streets would tell me much, that I wanted to actually see the lights in action - never did get a testdrive as the promise to call me when a car became available for o/n testdrive never eventuated) - I eventually had a few drives in various octavias at a different dealership though they were all 10-15 minute drives (never did get an overnight option). When it eventually came to a purchase decision they quoted $2k more for an RS than what they had advertised online (was confirmed to be the same car!). Guys were friendly and all but not professional enough imo. Got a good deal in the end so thats that.

As for the other cars
Golf 6 TDI - loved the car, dealer was useless (barlow world) - told me that skodas were unreliable/crap, and that minis were crap/had poor resale values (dealers should spend time selling THEIR car rather than bagging other brands) + couldnt/wouldnt give me the exact spec of the TDI (was fully loaded with every option under the sun from what I can gather) that I test drove or a price over the phone or online unless I came in again (drive to otherside of town on a sunday).
mazda - spent 20 minutes in a showroom and had to ask for help. Struggled to even get a brochure.
mini(s) - loved the cars but couldnt quite justify getting one given the cost vs practicality/equipment levels.
308 - when compared to the RS was a fair way behind in my book (with the exception of the massive sun/moonroof thingy (the octavia sunroof is too small).
accord euro - nice car+reliable but having had an accord in the family for 10+ yrs (from new) was after something a bit different.

Back on the RS, the criticisms in the reviews are all fairly minor imho - ie brand awareness/potential resale value, not as drivable as a GTI (I'm a 'normal' driver), when compared to the positives in the reviews ie build quality, equipment list, value for money etc.

For mine the RS needs a couple of extra things to make it a real winner - bi-xenon headlamps with cornering as standard + the option of a large moonsun/roof for the wagon.

woofy
08-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Which SKoda dealer were you dealing with. Barloworld VW are unreliable in themselves, in the last 4 years, twice the manager there (Sth African guy) has promised to call me when a certain model came in, never got the call, looked elsewhere. Sounds like they are having sour grapes since their half assed Skoda dealership shut after not really starting. They were terrible out at FT Gully, and wouldn't let you test drive any Skodas at all.

4thchicken
08-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Which SKoda dealer were you dealing with.
Prefer not to bag a skoda dealer on here particularly given that others seem to have had good experiences with them so I've PM'd the details/experiences :)

gregozedobe
08-11-2009, 11:44 PM

I would have paid full retail price + $2,000 for an RS wagon with AWD and bi-Xenons (just so long as it also had a 2.0 TFSI engine and 6 speed manual gearbox) !!!!

K1W1
10-11-2009, 08:18 AM
They were terrible out at FT Gully, and wouldn't let you test drive any Skodas at all.

They have two of what I presume were their demo vehicles in the used car yard there at the moment. One is a yellow wagon (VR I think) and the other is a silver hatch. Both pre facelift of course. They may be getting desperate enough to offer somebody a bargain deal to get rid of the by now.

woofy
10-11-2009, 09:08 AM
I will never forget them telling friends of mine who live there that they can't demo the RS they had as the accountant had it for a week. I saw it that very day down at Knox with what I presume was the accountants daughter doing laps and hanging out with some bogans outside JB Hifi. Yep looks like they clearly had their priorities right, I'm guessing the accountant didn't know that his daughter shouldn't be driving it with the p plates she had either.

wombatoutofhell
10-11-2009, 04:07 PM
They have two of what I presume were their demo vehicles in the used car yard there at the moment. One is a yellow wagon (VR I think) and the other is a silver hatch. Both pre facelift of course. They may be getting desperate enough to offer somebody a bargain deal to get rid of the by now.
Pretty sure the yellow was only available on the vRS so that could be a bargain for someone.

I will never forget them telling friends of mine who live there that they can't demo the RS they had as the accountant had it for a week. I saw it that very day down at Knox with what I presume was the accountants daughter doing laps and hanging out with some bogans outside JB Hifi. Yep looks like they clearly had their priorities right, I'm guessing the accountant didn't know that his daughter shouldn't be driving it with the p plates she had either.
Depends when she got her P's-if it was before the current laws then she can drive it as it falls beneath the old power to weight figure. My 20 year old daughter falls into this group as well. Does anyone else think it odd that a p plater can't legally drive a petrol RS but can drive the diesel? Turbo Diesels are ok apparently.

woofy
10-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Hmm I thought it was all turbos bar a few exclusions? None the less I didn't think it was very professional to deny test drives while she was out cruising KFC with her friends.

K1W1
10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
In many car dealerships the Dealer Principals daughter is an untouchable princess who gets what she wants and nobody in the sales dept can argue or disagree. The DP's daughter ranks second only to the DP's wife in terms of people that you do not upset and if either or both have been given company cars the best thing a salesman can do is to assume that those vehicles do not exist until they are eventually returned to the lot.

gregozedobe
11-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I will never forget them telling friends of mine who live there that they can't demo the RS they had as the accountant had it for a week. I saw it that very day down at Knox with what I presume was the accountants daughter doing laps and hanging out with some bogans outside JB Hifi.

In many car dealerships the Dealer Principals daughter is an untouchable princess who gets what she wants and nobody in the sales dept can argue or disagree.

So where does the Accountant's daughter rank ? (besides the obvious "higher than would be purchasers" :rolleyes: )

aslsw
11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
I can't rate our dealer enough. Two test drives, an overnight stay and then an all day loan as well when my wife and I had the day off together. And I when I delivered the bad news that I had to postpone my order, he gave us the keys to a Superb! My wife wasn't fussed over the Skoda, but the dealer's attitude means this is the only car she wants. Colin at Lennock, Phillip.

Now I just have to get back to Australia and order the thing...

wombatoutofhell
11-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Hmm I thought it was all turbos bar a few exclusions? None the less I didn't think it was very professional to deny test drives while she was out cruising KFC with her friends.
Agreed.

FYI-this from the Vicroads website:

A probationary licence holder cannot drive a vehicle if it has:

An engine of eight or more cylinders;
a turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel powered vehicles. Exemptions can apply for lower performance turbo and supercharged cars);
an engine that has been modified to increase its performance; and/or
any of the following high performance six cylinder vehicles as published in the Government Gazette:

Also:

Probationary drivers may apply to drive vehicles with 6 cylinders or less that are:

turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio of less than 100kW per tonne;
turbocharged or supercharged with a power to weight ratio between 100kW and 125kW per tonne and that are considered to be a family type vehicle (4 seats or more) rather than a sports type vehicle

The Skoda Octavia RS wagon is about 105kw/tonne from memory.