PDA

View Full Version : MK 6 GTI - "Sound generator"

MIRSAD
04-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Hi,

Any information about "sound generator" in MK 6 GTI and is it possible to control it

Corey_R
04-11-2009, 08:44 AM
I'm not sure they mean sound generator as in a controlable electric/digital device attached to a speaker.....

cme2c
04-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi,

Any information about "sound generator" in MK 6 GTI and is it possible to control it

Yes, the harder you push the right pedal, the more noise it makes.:P

But, seriously, whatever they did it sounds great!

Frankenstrat
04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Mirsad, do you mean alarm sounds, such as if you don't fasten your seat belt, or if you open the door with the keys in the ignition? If that's what you mean, maybe they are adjustable by getting into the vehicle's computerised management system.

Corey_R
04-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Nah, I think he's talking about the current trend in sports car manufacturers to claim the use of 'sound generators' when tuning the sound of their car, both from an external and internal perspective. My understanding is that the 'sound generators' are marketting fluff for some of the equipment they use in measuring the sound and comparing it against how they'd like it to sound and what changes need to be done to achieve this. It's not something which is actually installed in the cars.

ricksterrr
04-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Yup, I don't think it's anything 'electronic' either.

I think it's a sound pipe running from the engine bay... similar system to the XR5 I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

MurphyTheElf
04-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Yup, I don't think it's anything 'electronic' either.

I think it's a sound pipe running from the engine bay... similar system to the XR5 I believe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.

Right or wrong, I cream my pants even under moderate acceleration. :banana:

philthy
04-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Pretty sure its a speaker hooked up to the ECU on RHD cars and a pipe from the intake on LHD cars.

Can't find a reference at the mo. :)

DonkeyKong
04-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Yeah, I was wondering the same. The sale person could not tell me anymore info as was offered. They laughed when I have told them the sound may have come from the speaker. It sounds very real though.

Greg Roles
04-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Wonder if you can get one loud enough to make a diesel sound cooler?

mr gee
04-11-2009, 07:07 PM
there are two sound generators or pipes that I'm aware of. One electronic such as a speaker system and in the case of the GTI, a sound pipe frm the intake system resonating through the firewall. If you can look under the bonnet or get the picture of one, it's the squashy tube to the right of the engine

MIRSAD
04-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Only specific thing that I googled was on this website:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?f=23&t=701965&nmt=RE:%20VW%20Golf%20GTI:%20UK%20Drive

and this is explanation that they are giving:
"VW has developed what it calls a ‘sound generator’, which is a device situated on the engine side of the bulkhead that receives signals from the engine management system to produce an ‘authentic’ sound track during spirited driving. Unfortunately, the only result of this is that what is a dull-sounding but refined engine note at a steady cruise becomes slightly less refined when you stretch the GTI’s legs."

I think that is more based on VW press realise...
Other are talking about new electronic 'sound generator' that transfers the engine's note into the cabin

But is it possible to adjust it?

Something on this Swedish review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBPdxBNhlK8

Sharkie
05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Wonder if you can get one loud enough to make a diesel sound cooler?

The best thing to do Greg would be to follow a GTI closely with all your windows open ...... oh sorry .... that would mean you would have to keep up to the GTI which sadly would be impossible .....

Nah ... sorry ... there is nothing you can do to make your diesel sound like anything else than a Massey Ferguson tractor ... :cool:

Greg Roles
05-11-2009, 04:27 PM
No such thing as impossible in my world mate, but I do appreciate the ribbing. Helps my motivation no end!

mr gee
05-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I've only seen mods to remove the sound pipe on US sites

qsilverza
05-11-2009, 11:28 PM
lol just buy a Vr6 if you want sound :)

stevie_t
01-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Hi Guys,
Just came across this you tube video, what interests me is the info...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2iUtBa-ljk&feature=related

"If you order a GTI nowadays, your car will be delivered without the soundgenerator. "

You guys know anything about this?
I thought the sound generator was a clever thing...why would they no longer come with it?

You guys might know.
Thanks Guys

iBoost
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
I certainly hope not, I loved the sound of the GTI when I test drove it.

I'm someone who normally puts an aftermarket exhaust on my car, and I remember thinking that the note was so nice that perhaps I wouldn't have to. I won't be happy if this is true.

mr gee
01-03-2010, 08:06 PM
that video's not from australia. so maybe not fitted there?

iBoost
01-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I could only find this article, which is also from the US which seems to indicate it being an electronic device... ?

At the same time, we hope the U.S.-spec engine will sound as good as the Euro one. The test cars we drove had been fitted with a mechanically operated device that permits more sound under hard acceleration. Production cars, however, will have an electronically operated device that selects and amplifies the optimum sound frequencies to create a melodious exhaust note. According to VW's Rolf Trump, one of the project leaders, it's now possible to make a four-cylinder GTI sound like a Chevy V8. Purists might hate it, but the effects should be impressive. Even with the mechanical system, the GTI emits a baritone howl that perfectly complements its sophisticated character. Trump assures us that the electronic version will sound almost identical.

http://www.insideline.com/volkswagen/gti/2010/2010-volkswagen-gti-first-drive.html

Regardless, I think the GTI sounds great, so you're probably worrying over nothing. I hope so anyway... ;)

stevie_t
03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_4TnhRZxM

From 2:10 - 2:21

Any comments about this?
Excuse the foreign language, but it is subtitled.

Thanks Guys

hoi polloi
03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9_4TnhRZxM

From 2:10 - 2:21

Any comments about this?
Excuse the foreign language, but it is subtitled.

Thanks Guys

Using the paddle shifters behind the wheel does make the engine louder or softer depending on the gear chosen... Aside from that, nothing really more I can comment about... Dutch humour, maybe??

:confused:

- Anthony.

Corey_R
03-04-2010, 02:06 PM
The sound generator is not included on Australian models....

Edit: And after watch the video, all he's doing is changing the gears up and down. This has nothing to do with the sound generator. That happens with every day, including the MKV.

stevie_t
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I see...

I didn't notice it was the paddle shifters/changing gear which affected the engine volume (as a gear change would).

Thought it was an adjustable feature control of some sort ;)

hoi polloi
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Thought it was an adjustable feature control of some sort ;)

The Golf GTD does have an electromagnetic sound generator to create a more sporting note in the cabin but as far as I know, this is not adjustable and uses engine speed to determine the type of sound generated...

Regards,
- Anthony.

hooba
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
That was good example of dutch humour. ;)

In case you are after a Sound Generator, yes, there's an app for that.

http://www.instantsupercar.com/

Orient Express
04-04-2010, 01:45 AM
In some markets, (like the US), there is a sound tube that picks up the noise from the turbo, and routes it up into the cabin. It has a servo valve that opens the tube to the cabin when you accelerate hard.

Here is what all the tubes look like removed from the car:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/03/NP001-1.jpg

Mk6 GTI
04-04-2010, 10:54 AM
:confused:So why would that be removed from our cars?? Is this system in the euro gtis?