PDA

View Full Version : Faulty MFD

Johnny_dust
30-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Hi, I have a problem with the MFD in my 08 Octavia I'd like to share and see if anyone has had the same problem. When I'm driving and I press the button on the wiper stalk to cycle through the MFD it either doesnt move when i press the button, or moves to a completely different display to what should be next in the cycle. Also when I'm in ltr/100 (1) checking current economy and I press the button under the wiper stalk it should switch to ltr/100 (2) to show total fuel economy, but instead it starts to cycle through the other displays even though im pressing the under button and not the side one. It is really starting to piss me off and I will be taking in to my local dealer, I just hope I can replicate the fault when I'm in there.

Feedback, experiences are greatly appreciated and I hope the above makes sense.

Thanks

Jon

pinzvidz
30-10-2009, 11:25 PM
I've read about problems with switches for the cruise control in Octavias on Briskoda, could you be having a similar prob here with your MFD buttons? I'm guessing they're just the same type of contacts. There's a procedure somewhere on that site as well, shows you how to pull them apart and clean them up and make them work happily again.

K1W1
31-10-2009, 06:21 AM
I would be looking at the actual switch before I blamed the MFD itself.

gregozedobe
31-10-2009, 07:18 AM
I agree with the previous comments, what you describe sounds more like a switch, connector/wiring or (less likely) a controller problem. I'm sure I've read somewhere of people having issues with the wiper stalk buttons (but not as frequent as with the CC stalk). Maybe over on Briskoda ? It may not even show up as a fault on VCDS/dealer tool as the system may think it is responding correctly to inputs from the stalk.

If it is intermittent it may help with discussions with the dealer if you start recording what is happening each time, that way you have something to show the dealer even if it doesn't happen when they look at it, and if it regularly happens at a certain time or circumstances (eg only after driving on CC for 1 hr or more) then this extra info may help with the diagnosis.

pinzvidz
31-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Try this link (http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fvwfanatic.dk%2FTips%2FGol f5GRA.html&sl=da&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8). It's translated from Danish I think.

Johnny_dust
02-11-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone for you feedback and help. I'll be taking it into the dealer soon for them to take a look at it. Hopefully I can replicate the fault when I'm there and it can be a quick fix.

K1W1
03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Often with switches it's just a bit of dirt or dust or even a dry contact. Sometimes a tiny squirt of WD-40 or similar may be the magic fix that is required and will save hours of buggering around at a dealership.