PDA

View Full Version : How to repair the rear cup holders in a tiguan

sama13
11-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Hello guys,

We had a problem with our kids, one of them stepped on the rear drink holder (the one that is on the middle console below the A/C Vents)and popped it off, I have tried to put it back in and it pops out, there seems to be some kinda trick, I feel really stupid not being able to re-install it.

Hope somebody can help us out!

borbor1313
27-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks to both poor flimsy VW design and also kids the rear cover for the cup holder is easily broken off when it is used as a ladder to climb into the rear seat:frown:

Good luck to those of you that get it repaired under warranty.I tried but was told I would have to pay A$295 for the replacement part.Ouch

If you find this helpful please feel free to post a thankyou as I like that

Reattaching is reasonably easy once you under the principle on how the cup holder works,hence the over complicated picture below
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/4860036310_231422dc54_b-1.jpg

This is a close up side view of the mechanism
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/4860036082_d7a2c3bc90_b-1.jpg

The yellow bit is a parallelogram , akin to a sketch-o-graph ( I think that was what it was called -- showing my age now)On opening it pivots around the point I have labelled in the photo,with the cup holder extending outwards(to the right in the picture) and the cover moving to the left.

When I was originally trying to reattach the cover i assumed the cover was a simple hinge joint pivoting around little nipples on part 6,and thus trying to find where these nipples would slot into proved impossible.They actually lie free in the overhanging shroud of the proximal part of the cup holder.

I also assumed the lowest part of the cover Part 7 would sit against the bottom part of the opening of the cup holder mechanism but on fitting
this part does not touching anything,the entire cover is just hanging from its attachment points Part 1 and Part 2. Only on closing the cover does the parallelogram shift and close this gap to make a snug fit.

Please note Gap marked 5. When fitting the cover this gap remains. I assumed I had to push the two pieces tigthly together leaving no gap but this results in a incorrect fitting as it would then make part 3 pop out.

Ok now for the fitting
I have only one photo as it is impossible to take photos whilst doing this.
step 1 locate tabs (Part 6) loosely in the rigth position
step 2 clip on part 1
step 3 clip on part 2

for steps 2+3 you have to wiggle the claw part of the cup holder left and right in the picture (forward and backwards)to move the parallelogram forward and backwards which then moves the clampy bits so they can attach to part 1 and 2. (yes very technical I Know):rolleyes:

Whilst doing this make sure part 3 is also clipped in.

Doing this still took me 5-10mins of wiggling so keep perservering. Goodluck

Pullstarter
28-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Umm not being nasty or anything but drink holders were hardly designed to be, in your words, a "ladder" or indeed a step. They are meant to hold drinks up not people. I can empathise with the cost of the repair but I think you're being a bit harsh on VW there.

T&M
28-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Well kids will be kids. Nothing else needs to be said. :brutal:

However if my kids did that, they would be banished to the rubber-lined boot space!

Hmmm rubber! :banana:

clip
28-10-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd be replacing it with a new one and the kids would be paying for it by washing the Tig for a month.

Sanman
28-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Umm not being nasty or anything but drink holders were hardly designed to be, in your words, a "ladder" or indeed a step. They are meant to hold drinks up not people. I can empathise with the cost of the repair but I think you're being a bit harsh on VW there.

When I reviewed the Tiguan, this was one of the negatives I identified - it clearly is a flimsy poorly designed afterthought that has no place in the back if a kiddy truckster.
Glad we have a repair guide - I'm horrified how much VW charge for a designed-to-break part

borbor1313
28-10-2009, 09:13 PM

Not intentionally of course ,but they jump in knock the cover and it pops open,then in the processs of sitting down a foot will invariably put pressure on it and the cover snaps off.A not uncommon problem(see the thread on vwvortex - tiguan page).I of course dont expect it to take the weight of a child but used this description to paint a mental picture for everyone.

borbor1313
28-10-2009, 09:17 PM
I'd be replacing it with a new one and the kids would be paying for it by washing the Tig for a month.

I'd be paying to be replacing the kids with a new one and would be washing the Tig for a month:P

clip
28-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd be paying to be replacing the kids with a new one and would be washing the Tig for a month:P
lol, that's an option I hadn't thought of.

JimmyGS
02-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi borbor1313, do you still have the Pics to reassemble please as they are no longer on the forum? I have unfortunatley come across the same problem with our Tiguan's rear cupholders on first use. All I managed to place into it was two drinks bottles, no kids to use it for a ladder.

Arctra
02-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Repairing cup holder
– Place lower cover -1- over outer mounting pins -2- and -3- in cup holder.
– Position mounting pin -4- in front of mounting -5-.
– Place upper part -6- over pin -7- and mounting pins -8- in cup holder.
– The mounting -9- is placed in front of pin -10-.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/08/TiguanRearDrinkHolderrepair1png-1.jpg

– Close cup holder; mountings -1- and -3- engage with corresponding pins -2- and -4-.
– Open the drink holder.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/08/TiguanRearDrinkHolderrepair2png-1.jpg

krracing
03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Repairing cup holder
– Place lower cover -1- over outer mounting pins -2- and -3- in cup holder.
– Position mounting pin -4- in front of mounting -5-.
– Place upper part -6- over pin -7- and mounting pins -8- in cup holder.
– The mounting -9- is placed in front of pin -10-.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/08/TiguanRearDrinkHolderrepair1png-1.jpg

– Close cup holder; mountings -1- and -3- engage with corresponding pins -2- and -4-.
– Open the drink holder.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/08/TiguanRearDrinkHolderrepair2png-1.jpg

Hey Arctra,

Where do you get all these diagrams from? They're great! Would be neat to have them for the whole car, readily available.
Thanks,

KR

Arctra
03-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Try searching for Tiguan Manual on eBay - you can pick up the disc's for $20. Not the easiest app to use, but once you get the hang of it you'll be fine. And it is useful for confriming things, fixing things, etc.

borbor1313
03-08-2010, 03:24 PM
Hi borbor1313, do you still have the Pics to reassemble please as they are no longer on the forum? I have unfortunatley come across the same problem with our Tiguan's rear cupholders on first use. All I managed to place into it was two drinks bottles, no kids to use it for a ladder.

I'll try and find my original pics and repost tonight as mytiguan website killed all my photos stored there.
Did you see the respone time from ACTRA.:P 7mins after you posted, you have a diagram. Speedy gonzales indeed:banana:

Arctra
03-08-2010, 04:20 PM
Did you see the respone time from ACTRA.:P 7mins after you posted, you have a diagram. Speedy gonzales indeed:banana:

:rofl2:
I aim to please...
Wish my girlfriend was appreciative and din't just complain that I am that fast :eek:

borbor1313
04-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi ,have just updated the links to my photos. (and Actra did you see it took me 24hrs:muscle:)

Sanman
30-11-2010, 08:54 PM
OK, now my kids have stepped on this stupidly cup designed holder, and broken it. The cover is held with 1mm diameter plastic pivots, so its almost intentionally designed to break.
I am booked for my car service next week, do you think it can be realistically claimed as a warranty item, or do I just superglue the whole thing shut?

Transporter
30-11-2010, 09:06 PM
I would claim it under the warranty.
You shouldn't have a problem with you dealer replacing it. Just don't tell them that your kids stepped on it. :)

Sanman
30-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks - I'll give it a try, but the kiddie seats might give it away ;)

aussietig
30-11-2010, 11:49 PM
I am booked for my car service next week, do you think it can be realistically claimed as a warranty item, or do I just superglue the whole thing shut?

Going in just for a warranty claim ... no chance!

Going in for a service and mentioning this as a side matter ... :thumb:

jimbomort
02-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Hello guys,

We had a problem with our kids, one of them stepped on the rear drink holder (the one that is on the middle console below the A/C Vents)and popped it off, I have tried to put it back in and it pops out, there seems to be some kinda trick, I feel really stupid not being able to re-install it.

Hope somebody can help us out!

we have had the same problem, remember it being a little tricky but sorted it out without too much trouble. It has recently happened to us again too, so I will need to be re-installing ours. When I have done and refreshed my memory on how, I'll post here.

So if no luck with the dealer, look here again in a few days

jimbomort
04-12-2010, 09:56 AM
SOLUTION - HANDY TIPS TO REINSTALL

I have just put ours back in, didn't take too long. Key points are:
- note that the small plastic pivots dont go into the sides of the rear console or into holes, they go into curved rails in the sides of the drop out mechanism towards the bottom. Its relatively easy to pop them back into those rails, though also easy to go too far and actually be further in than the rails. You might need a torch to see the rails well enough unless your car is outside with heaps of light.
- the other connection points b/w the drop out mechanism and the cover is two hooked projections in the centre of the drop out mechanism that must click into two points in the centre of the cover. Effectively those hold the cover to the drop out mechanism, more so than the rails above. Both are horizontally in the centre of that cover, one at the bottom and one about half way up.
- the challenge is getting the small pivots into the rails as well as getting the two hooks to properly click onto their mounts on the cover. I have found that when I have focussed on getting the pivots into the rails first, it has proven difficult to get the hooks to lock into their mounts propperly. So the best way is to concentrate on getting the hooks locked on first - there should be an audible click and then fine tune fiddle to get the pivots in their rails

Hope this helps.

Tedhaggie
04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Take a look at this thhead - full instructions with photos

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f97/how-repair-rear-cup-holders-tiguan-36625.html

Sanman
11-12-2010, 10:12 PM
OK - so the dealer said a broken cup holder would not be covered under warranty. Part $160+ $60 labour to fit.
I rang VWA, they said a broken cup holder is not covered under warranty. They promised to send me a emailed letter stating this, still waiting.
I'll check with Mercedes Australia, let see if a real prestige mfr covers minor broken trim.

Rob Burns
11-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Why would you think that something that gets broken would be under warranty? Warranty covers manufacturing faults not things that are physically broken.

Tony Tiggy
09-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Today when folding down the rear seats on my brand new 10 day old Tiguan I somehow managed to get a daypack wedged between the headrest and the rear fold out drinks holder door. This unwitting situation has led to the door coming adrift, from what I can see it doesn't appear to be broken however I cannot refit it and don't want to cock it up.

Can anyone help?

Would something like this be covered by warranty?

team_v
09-02-2012, 09:26 PM
I think there was a thread in the Tiguan section somewhere about fixing ones that had broken off.
Maybe try the search function to find it?

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 PM ----------

see here:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f97/help-rear-drink-holder-34365.html

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f97/how-repair-rear-cup-holders-tiguan-36625.html

Bambazonke
10-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Also had the same issue with kids stepping on it and dislodging it. Now have become a master at putting it back. Put some magic tape to stop it opening for a few weeks and the kids will leave it alone and forget about it. Best solution of all is to put the original part in that was designed for it namely a power pack as fitted in UK & SA models!

Bambazonke
10-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi Tony
It has happened to me regularly as I have young kids. Suggest you move front seats forward to get good access, lots of light to see what you are doing and have some patience. It's a complicated mechanism that will take forever to explain without visual aids here but once you have worked it out it should clip in. Otherwise take it to a good dealer and they should be able to clip it back in.

Jad
10-02-2012, 09:15 AM
I feel your pain.. Our kids managed to break ours after about 2 weeks of picking up the car. One of the little plastic locking nubs broke off of ours so its completely cactus.. Will probably repair it in 5yrs when we trade it in 8)

hippyhippy
10-02-2012, 10:22 AM
spoke to 1 dealer about this .. very common problem... they wont replace it for u but they said they could fix it 2 or 3 times before it becomes totally ****ed.

whiskywallah
30-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi,

The plastic cover from the flip down cup holders in the rear centre console of my Tig seems to have dropped off.
I've tried for 15 mins to re-attach it but it's dark and no amount of torch light helps and the plastic is black on black and my fingers are too big !

Anyone know the knack?

Or does this require a special tool and only the VW dealer has it?!

Sanman
30-04-2012, 08:36 AM
there was a guide about a year ago with pictures about how to reinstall it. Check if pivot point has broken off, if so then it is $200 at a dealer to fix. (which is the reason the parts from mine are now sitting in the glovebox)

tigger73
30-04-2012, 09:38 AM
It's a very common problem. Mine is broken too after one of the kids stood on it accidentally. Yes as long as the clips are still intact it can be put back in but it is pretty tricky. No special tools - just need to hold your tongue the right way when putting it back in.

Sanman
30-04-2012, 02:02 PM
The little buggers also ripped off the cigarette lighter spring loaded cover (above the cup holder), I rescued it from the floor. It just unclips too, and is easy to put back (when the time comes). Don't lose it!

whiskywallah
06-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanx for all the replies.
Managed to get it back on, it still seems to work but will now need a visit to a tongue chiropractor!
Apart from that the car seems to be screwed together way better than my old Ford, though I occasionally get a rattle from behind the speedo somewhere. I hope that goes away :)

Trex
13-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Hi,
Rear seat passengers trod on the cupholder while open. It is now in three parts.
There is no obvious sign of broken tabs, but not obvious how to re-assemble it.
Has anyone managed to put these things back together? Is there a procedure or do I ask the dealer to do it.

Sanman
13-09-2014, 04:19 PM
there was a thread on reassembling the cupholders about 3 years ago, including pictures.
It was relatively straightforward once you got your spacial perception going (and know where the pieces are meant to fit) but I found it too tight to get in there to do the required. Dearer quoted $200 to replace, I cursed VW. My pieces live in the glovebox.

Bambazonke
13-09-2014, 04:32 PM
I have a 6 and 8 year old and the cup holders have come apart regularly in both Tiguans that I have had. As Sanman says there is a post on how to re assemble them and re insert them back into the console but it does take some time technique and patience to get it back in. You need to be fairly agile as space is limited (move the front seats as far forward as you can) and do it out in the open so you can see the recessed slots for the hinges to slot back into.

Trex
13-09-2014, 04:33 PM
there was a thread on reassembling the cupholders about 3 years ago, including pictures.
It was relatively straightforward once you got your spacial perception going (and know where the pieces are meant to fit) but I found it too tight to get in there to do the required. Dearer quoted $200 to replace, I cursed VW. My pieces live in the glovebox.

Thanks for the prompt response. Not sure there is any point in having them in the glovebox. That glovebox is so small I have to keep throwing out anything that is not absolutely essential.

I will try to find the post.
I have the door and holder sections, but wonder if the third section is removeable, so it can all be assembled in a more convenient spot than re-inserted. Trying to assemble it while sitting on the back seat with a spotlight is not the easiest.

Bambazonke
13-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Yes it can be done, you need a T20 Torx screwdriver to remove 2 screws where the cup holders fold into the back of the centre console.
Next is use a flat large screw driver and wedge the rear vents out and downwards. Once this is done, lever the back panel. where the vent and cupholder was mounted upwards from from below the cupholder by the carpet/transmission tunnel.

There will be some plugs for the 12v socket to disconnect assembly is the reversal of the above except the cup holder will need to be open when you put the 2 Torx screws back.

Trex
13-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Yes it can be done, you need a T20 Torx screwdriver to remove 2 screws where the cup holders fold into the back of the centre console.
Next is use a flat large screw driver and wedge the rear vents out and downwards. Once this is done, lever the back panel. where the vent and cupholder was mounted upwards from from below the cupholder by the carpet/transmission tunnel.

There will be some plugs for the 12v socket to disconnect assembly is the reversal of the above except the cup holder will need to be open when you put the 2 Torx screws back.

Thank you - Any clue on what search terms to use to locate the post.

Bambazonke
13-09-2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/how-repair-rear-cup-holders-tiguan-36625.html

Post #11

tigger73
13-09-2014, 05:20 PM
This does come up from time to time. I've found about 4 threads on this topic so I've merged them all and the one DIY guide to fixing the cup holders. Instructions are in the 2nd post so hopefully easier for people to find (though bambazonke's description above (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/how-repair-rear-cup-holders-tiguan-36625-post1084184.html#post1084184) is pretty good).

I too have kids and have had the cup holders busted :facepalm: so I have reassembled and these are now "off-limits" as I have taped them closed so that they don't get broken beyond the point where they are able to be repaired/reassembled.

Trex
13-09-2014, 07:41 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f97/how-repair-rear-cup-holders-tiguan-36625.html

Post #11

Okay Useful but the description only seems to cover how to attach the bottom two clips of the parallelagram. The top front is the hardest and is not covered.
The top-front clip curls around tightly and there does not seem to be a way of attaching it that I can see.
The shaft is inside the cup claw mechanism so almost impossible to see anything while trying to force it together. Also unlike the other attachment points this one is almost a complete 360 degree with the smallest slot. I can get the bottom two connected and the top back but without the top front connected the door will not close.
Has anyone managed to get this attached or does it normally stay attached and only the bottom ones come off?
The image shows the top attaching clamps, you can also see the bottom rear (not connected)

tigger73
13-09-2014, 07:55 PM
When it happened to me I took it to my local VW service/parts dept and the guy came out and clipped it back in for me in the car park. Took 30 seconds... if you know what you're doing.

I think it's a regular thing with these cars as they were pretty clued up on how it went together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trex
14-09-2014, 09:11 AM
When it happened to me I took it to my local VW service/parts dept and the guy came out and clipped it back in for me in the car park. Took 30 seconds... if you know what you're doing.

I think it's a regular thing with these cars as they were pretty clued up on how it went together.

It probably depends on which bits have become dislodged.
Perhaps if the bottom connectors have pulled out it can be clipped together quickly.
The front vertical rod (thingey) has a tight clip on the top end and needs to connect into a piece on the underside of the middle section which is invisible from the top.
If I could pull this bit out then fit it to the middle section then insert it back, that could work but it seems to sprung in there somehow. The spring tension seems to come from a plastic part and if that could be pushed back to release the front vertical piece with the clip end then perhaps I can get it together.
The alternative might be to remove the housing and with the greater access be able to clip it back.
I have managed to remove the two screws from the back so now have to look at getting the vents out.

Trex
14-09-2014, 11:35 AM
Next is use a flat large screw driver and wedge the rear vents out and downwards.

"out and downwards" Does that mean put the screwdriver in at the top? There seems to be two plastic lugs there so perhaps they allow it to release. Don't want to break anything.

Trex
14-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Please are you able to provide some more information.

I have the vent removed and can see the cigarette lighter socket. I can put a screwdriver under the console and pressure the housing but it does not seem to move.
I can't see how the cigarette lighter socket is attached.
Do I have to take that out there seems about 25 mm gap below it?
Where do I lever and what type of lever device is best?
What do I use a fulcrum, the tunnel seems soft and squichy?
What is holding the box in place, is there some sticky pad or clips? It seems tightly fixed.
How to get the cigarette scoket out, it is difficult to get a hand in there and can't feel anything.

Thanks

Bambazonke
14-09-2014, 03:53 PM
did u remove the 2 torx screws?

Trex
14-09-2014, 04:15 PM
did u remove the 2 torx screws?

Okay,
I now have it installed and sort of working minus a couple of bits of plastic.

A general description may help others

The thing consists of three layers
Top (the clamps that grabs the cups)
Bottom (the rear door cover) and
Middle (the hinge that bolts to the car and holds it all in place)

The layers are joined by two struts that clip to the bottom layer
The front strut is sort of fixed to the middle layer by spring and detent mechanism and clips to the top layer
The Rear strut is pinned to the top layer and clips to the other two.

The clip arrangement is probably designed to release if someone treads on the thing (almost certain to happen)

There are a couple of positioning lugs on the bottom layer that don't do much.

Top front connection is difficult to re-attach
The whole back panel comes off with some work
First remove the vent noting the two retaining clips

The Squire
21-05-2018, 02:55 AM
This is an old thread, but I want to thank @borbor1313 (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/borbor1313/) for taking the time to post his reply. I had the same problem with my recently-purchased 2009, and would never have figured it out without this post. Fixed it this morning in about 10 minutes. Step 2 took more force than I had expected — I ended up pushing it hard with a screwdriver.