PDA

View Full Version : panel filter

WRXconvert
11-02-2007, 08:29 PM
anyone replaced their air filter with a panel replacement? if so what did you use ans did you find any difference? i have researched and it seems that K&N and BMC may have replacement filters but i am going to call them before ordering one as it seems a little ambiguous on their websites IE saying polo - 1.8L instead of mentioning anything about gti or turbo etc... anyone with experience? cheers guys

kris

Kai
12-02-2007, 12:47 AM
There is only little gain to be made with just a panel filter. You may get a bit of a noise difference, but it will only be small.

The main problem with the polo's airbox is that it has a 5cm inlet. Then the next problem is that it has to find its way up and then take a sharp turn (90degrees) and find its way through a small hole against a flat wall.

I personally wouldnt bother changing the filter. If you are after more power the real answer is a new CAI, but this can be costy.

gtigrl
12-02-2007, 08:58 AM
I have a BMC filter and I got a little bit of gain and I can hear the turbo a bit better but other than that....

GoLfMan
12-02-2007, 01:02 PM
I have a BMC filter and I got a little bit of gain and I can hear the turbo a bit better but other than that....
thats not the turbo dear, its the wind being pushed outa you when you flog it ;) j:

gtigrl
12-02-2007, 07:49 PM
sarcasm doesn't suit you.... DEAR;)

GoLfMan
12-02-2007, 11:12 PM
sarcasm doesn't suit you.... DEAR;)
hahaha my bad :D
your GTi sounds the ducks nuts... go the panel filter

saba
13-02-2007, 04:01 PM
gtigirl how much did it cost for that filter???

gtigrl
13-02-2007, 04:33 PM
gtigirl how much did it cost for that filter???
Round $180 I believe ... could be wrong I am sick and a bit vague today :( . Will dig out the receipt and let you know :)

saba
13-02-2007, 04:42 PM
thankssssss

shaneth
13-02-2007, 06:45 PM
gtigrl who supplied the filter.

Vieussuex
13-02-2007, 07:48 PM
By the way it is no good using oiled filters whats so ever becasue they will wreck our MAF sensor so make sure these filters u are using are dry filters.

From memory K&N filters are all oiled arnt they??

Kai
13-02-2007, 11:39 PM
Autobarn can order K&N ones in for 125....

But if they are oil based. As above, it has the right theory to screw the maf sensor.

brumue
14-02-2007, 08:03 AM
From the BMC website it looks like their's are oiled too :(

WRXconvert
15-02-2007, 08:06 PM
ok guys, i have been to autobahn and they can get me a BMC for $157 but it will take a few weeks. after researching the web a bit... we have the same filter dimensions as the seat Ibiza 1.8T and cupra 2001 > so that helped when i was asking at autobahn. the guy said it would be a waste of time even trying to get a K&N filter as they would have to go through england then to america to finally get here...i dont believe him. im not looking at just replacing the filter... i want to get a hold of another airbox bottom half and have a fiddle maybe open the inlet of it up a fair bit, fibreglass or plastic weld, and get a bigger diameter ducting tube from the front and get a bigger ram air thing going on.... have a look at the little mouth at the front of your grill that is sucking the air in... its ridiculously tiny. Anyone got any suggestions comment? GTi girl what was the part number for the BMC filter? 311/10 by any chance?

shaneth
15-02-2007, 08:22 PM
By the way it is no good using oiled filters whats so ever becasue they will wreck our MAF sensor so make sure these filters u are using are dry filters.

This was taken off the BMC website. SO i guess there out.

The filtering material is composed of a special cotton gauze soaked with low-viscosity oil to give you the best air permeability.

WRXconvert
17-02-2007, 12:01 AM
just purchased a pipercross unit off ebay for $100 shipped from england... i understand the whole upsetting the maf thing with a bit of oil... but honestly dont you think the turbo spits a little tiny teeny weeny amount back out that way anyway? i have the part numbers if anyone is interested in them for the three leading brands: Pipercross PP1599, K&N 33-2830, and BMC 311/01. now just to do a little research into opening the bottom of the airbox up a little... VW has quoted me $360 for the entire airbox assembly... any ideas guys? remembering that i want to keep a spare for stock purposes.

gtigrl
17-02-2007, 08:28 AM
GTi girl what was the part number for the BMC filter? 311/10 by any chance?
My apologies for my absence guys I have been pretty sick and trying to work through it, couldn't find a receipt for the filter but the Mr took a photo when we put it in. I hope its enough.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2006/10/DSC00279-1.jpg

h100vw
17-02-2007, 08:33 AM
i understand the whole upsetting the maf thing with a bit of oil... but honestly dont you think the turbo spits a little tiny teeny weeny amount back out that way anyway?

I reckon the breather oil doesn't go through the MAF. Just straight into the motor.

Gavin

WRXconvert
17-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I reckon the breather oil doesn't go through the MAF. Just straight into the motor.

Gavin

If you have a look at the side of the airbox there actually is a breather pipe coming from the engine into the airbox... i would assume it would carry oil fumes... the amount of oil you put on the panel filter wouldnt be drastic enough to upset anything anyway... the pipercross is a foam filter anyway i think? if anyone is interested in the pipercross unit go to
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pipercross-Performance-Air-Filter-Seat-Ibiza-1-8T-20v_W0QQitemZ8076964320QQihZ019QQcategoryZ36680QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

shaneth
17-02-2007, 05:47 PM
Have a read. K&N site (http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm) , BUt then again some people will say anything to sell something. More reaserch is needed unless a mechanic on the site will chime in. What about it seb or andrew.

WRXconvert
18-02-2007, 05:10 PM
if the bmc pod is going to stuff things up so much, then guy is in for some big problems trying to sell the carbon dynamic airbox induction system... its made by bmc and he doesnt seem to have any problems with it.... i think this whole oil on the maf sensor theory is scare tactics that dealerships use. will tell you soon... should get the pipercross in about 3 days. i do understand that without modifying the airbox powergains will be very small... but im still looking for a spare box to play with.

REDMKVGTI
18-02-2007, 06:07 PM
The VW's must have a mighty sensitive MAF sensor if the oil in a K&N filter can throw it out. I know it's an issue when people service them, and over oil the filter, but not if they follow the instructions...

I and heaps of my friends use K&N filters and haven't had a drama, but until recently none have had VW's, one who now has a GTI has a carbonio (not sure of spelling) intake in it, and the other guy has his stock as a rock...

Hmmm...

evorobin
18-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Pipercross filter needs oiling and falls apart. I wouldn't have one again. K&N cone for the win.

shaneth
18-02-2007, 07:19 PM
FRom what i have been reading i think the MK4 Golf MAF didnt have a specific function on it to clean the crap off it from every day driving and so would gunk up extremely quickly and fail. Something about them heating up to some extreme temp when you turn the car off to clean it and they didnt have that function, so that might be where the tale began.

WRXconvert
27-02-2007, 06:52 PM
got the panel today, and it is a non oiling version. so anyone who is interested in a kw or two, better throttle response, as well as meatier sound... look at the pipercross

shaneth
27-02-2007, 07:04 PM
pics or ban ;)

WRXconvert
04-03-2007, 02:47 PM
i dont wanna be banned so i guess i better post some pics : P

this is the panel from top...

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/5562/p1010066fv5.th.jpg (http://img174.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010066fv5.jpg)

this is the thickness...

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4103/p1010067pt9.th.jpg (http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010067pt9.jpg)

and this is the difference between the paper and the pipercross...

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9458/p1010068tk9.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010068tk9.jpg)

Doesn't make a HUGE differnce, but certainly can tell that it is different.. picks up a little quicker.

WRXconvert
06-03-2007, 05:17 PM
its not oiled guys... have no fear.... $100 for a panel replacement is pretty good... took 7 days to arrive, but there is a noticable difference

Kai
06-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Ive heard lots of rumours about the polo's MAFs sensor and havent found anyone with a problem yet.

I will never buy a filter made of foam as tests have proven that the oil used in filters catches all the dirt. Some foam filters only get 75%, which really isnt anywhere near enough.

Anyone know how much a maf sensor is ? Im keen to test out the K&n Filter but dont want anything to go wrong.

WRXconvert
06-03-2007, 06:40 PM
what.... are you going to rally your car? i hardly think you wil get much dirt in your filter with day to day driving :???: if you lived on a farm, or had to travel on dirt roads all the time i could see your point... a lot of english rally teams use pipercross.. so i guess they must be alright.

Timbo
06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
a lot of english rally teams use pipercross.. so i guess they must be alright.
Not much dirt in english rallies ;)

Vieussuex
09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
what.... are you going to rally your car? i hardly think you wil get much dirt in your filter with day to day driving :???: if you lived on a farm, or had to travel on dirt roads all the time i could see your point... a lot of english rally teams use pipercross.. so i guess they must be alright.

English rally teams would probably change the filter and rebuild their engines after every race event so getting dirt and sand in there engines wouldnt really worry them.;)

My last car had a trust airnex cylinder foam filter and i never took it out on dirt roads but it was regularly tracked and not daily driven and when we went to take of the head the pistons had alot of sand and dirt fused to them its going to happen but foam filters let alot more particals like the size of sand threw the foam especailly if u do alot of freeway driving

Also the maf sensor can malfunction if it gets to much oil on it, the sensor itself clogs up giving false readings such that the car will rev out when u havnt even got ur foot on the accelarator or it just fails and u need a new one.
I havn't heard of a maf in a polo to go yet but there still relatively new other models of cars i have, mafs are pretty sensitive and not cheap but call a VW dealer to get a price they'll be more then $300 im sure cause a larger maf if u go a bigger turbo like a gt28 is like $500+.