PDA

View Full Version : First impressions...

Tricky
11-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Well, there's been a few of us who've picked up new cars in the last week or two... nsshunt, golfworx, JBSGTI, blue R32, rikin...

I'm going to post some first impressions of the Golf GTi manual I picked up on Friday...

- I've done 350km in 2.5 days... mostly on Mt Nebo / Glorious, for those of you in Brisbane

- I've been relatively gentle. Whilst I generally subscribe to the theory "drive the car from day 1 how its going to be driven long term", I have perhaps been a bit gentler this time as the GTi is relatively torquey and you can have a fair amount of fun below 4000rpm. I have had the odd fult tilt blast... how can you not?!

- The car seems quick rather than really fast. By way of reference my 3 previous cars were: Honda S2000 (razor handling, but peaky engine), HSV Clubsport (v fast in a staight line but way too heavy), BMW M3 E36 (loved this car). I'm going to get an APR chip the moment the GTi is run in. And maybe it'll feel zippier once I can rev higher, but I figure the last 1000rpm to the redline probably don't add much anyway?

- Very impressed with the handling... absolute hoot to drive. To be honest this was my biggest concern when buying a FWD car - its been years since I had one. But the GTi is well balanced and you can really chuck it around. Whilst it wouldn't be as quick as an S2000 round a circuit, on the road its a lot easier to drive fast and probably more fun.

- Manual gearbox feels good. Feels like the M3 gearbox, funnily enough. Very good but maybe not quite as good as the S2000. Very happy I chose manual, though I may not feel that way next week when I start commuting in to the office in heavy stop-start traffic...

- Spent 6 hours cleaning it... my wife thinks I'm weird. I put on two coats of Meguiars NXT. In the past I've used a sealant followed by two coats of a Carnuba wax. Thought I'd try the NXT from day 1 as I recently tried it for the first time on my S2000 and it was terrific. Perhaps doesn't last too long, but I'm happy to re-wax once a month.

- The honeycombe front grill is a pig to clean. And made to catch insects. After giving it a clean I treated it with Meguiars vinyl cream, which leaves a thin film. The insects still splatter on it, but at least they now come off real easy... and the grille plastic looks darker too. Anyone else had any ideas on how to clean it? I've used a medium stiff plastic brush.

- Love the leather seats. Grip you like a bear hug. I'm determined to stop the leather from cracking and looking used. More Meguiars...

- How are Australian number plates meant to be mounted - did everyone else's car come with mounting kits/brackets? Mine didn't, and the people doing the PDI (not a VW dealer - long story) mounted my plates directly onto the bumpers... The PDI people also forgot to remove the spring spacers - they looked suitably embarrassed when I pointed this out. Amateurs.

- Love the steering wheel... even better than the ///M-Sport item in the M3.

- The black magic pearlescent paintwork is interesting. My S2000 was a deep glossy but solid black, so the pearly flake in the GTi is a nice change despite still being 'black'. In bright sunshine it looks kinda gunmetal grey, whilst at one angle its almost bluey-black.

- Stereo seems OK-ish for a standard fit, though I find it really 'bright', ie quite trebly and harsh in the higher ranges. Anyone else get this? I ended up turning the treble right down and base about middle. Stereo upgrade in near future a distinct possibility.

- I've was told my first service would be after 7,500km or 6 months. I heard some people are put on a schedule whereby the car itself decides when it needs its first service, which could be 2 years / 20,000km. Given I plan to chip it, I'm happy to be on a more orthodox schedule. What's everyone else on?

OK, to finish off, here as some links to pictures:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/GTi_front34.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/GTi_frontcloseup_sm.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/GTi_side1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/GTi_rear-1.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/GTi_side.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/Tricky999/GTi_interiorpassengersside.jpg

Subie25L
11-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I picked mine up in dec.

Agree with your comments on the grill. I think the trick is to get the bugs off ASAP. I try and wash every week as i get alot if dust from underground carpark at work. The grill is also a pain to dry.

My plates are mounted the same as yours. Just screwed into the bumper.

I find the stereo is better the higher the volume. :?

Got 4000km down now and loving it. Unfortunatly work and family commitments have stopped me going in search of twisties to really enjoy it.

mhh
12-02-2007, 08:25 PM
Very nice Tricky. I like the QLD plates too. :)

Lima
13-02-2007, 12:49 PM
Plates are supposed to be screwed straight into the bumper. Good to see 5drs without the Euro plate mounts. Fine if you ahve Euro plates, pox if you don't. Happy to read you're enjoying your new car ... just one thing ... it's GTI.

j:

Cheers Liam

mhh
13-02-2007, 01:25 PM
...just one thing ... it's GTI.

Oops. I got that wrong too! Thanks Liam. :)

Lima
13-02-2007, 01:33 PM
Haha, it's just me being pedantic. Enjoy your car first and foremost! j:

JBSGTI
13-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Hey Tricky,

At much the same stage as you with my GTI. Picked it up a week ago, done 850 ks with it. Very very pleased with it.....cant wait for it to losen up a little though. Same sort of comments regarding its speed, seems very torquey but not "super fast".

I have the black magic as well, certainly keeping me busy with the cleaning! - every single spec of dust shows!.

Sort of been a little gentle with the run in as well, no more than 5000rpm yet, havent had it flat out in 1st gear....i think ill wait till the 1000km mark then go for it!. Handling does seem very good, havent really explored it much yet though.

Happy motoring!

Oneofthegreats
13-02-2007, 09:48 PM
it seems where all at the same stage with our new babies. I too have been taking it easy in first gear but have been giving it a bit of stick in the other 5 cogs( i'm probably going to start a heated discussion on running in engines!) The car with only 750k's on it feels super tight and gives the impression that i will take at least 7.5-10,000 to loosen a little.

Like you guys i'm spending a heck of allot of time cleaning bugs off the my Candy white paint work. I was tempted to get black. At least it would of hidden some of the road kill.

mhh
14-02-2007, 05:15 AM
What is the go with running in? Does the owner's manual specify anything?

nsshunt
14-02-2007, 07:13 AM
The manual says no flat out stuff up to 1000K's, medium only till 1500K's then put the hammer down anytime after this!

Mine's got 2100 on it now! And I must say it pulls rather well in 1st and 2nd however, you do notice a significant drop off in the torque after 6000 rpm - the DSG will rev 1st out to about 7K :-)

Anyhow, still love it!

brockybear
14-02-2007, 07:53 AM
I am up to 1800 Km on my Red GTI and I can start winding it up a bit. Seems to love cruising at 140 - 160km/h on all these outback roads. Love the DSG Box and solid road handling.

Its not as quick in a straight line as my old CV8 Monaro but heaps more fun drive and better on fuel. Interestingly I get 9.4 - 10.6 ltr/100 at 140km/hour travelling, which was the same economy as my V8 on a trip at the same speed.

Of all the cars I have owned over the years I have never been as happy as I am with my GTI. I just love it.

nsshunt
14-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Actually I rekon my car 'feels' quicker than my old VXII SS up to around 100k's / Hour or so....

To be honest it probobly is around the same speed (I had the 4 speed slusher) but the GTI wins in the 'fun to drive' category!

Tricky
15-02-2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm loving every minute of the GTi, I mean, the GTI ;)

I still find that the stereo is quite bright, though maybe its settled a bit as the tweeters break in. I also noticed the CD source is brighter than the Radio :confused: I've used the treble/bass controls to make them sound level.

I should receive the SatNav DVD tomorow - for some reason it didn't come with the car, so they've had to send the disk to me separately. Interested to see if the SatNav is as good as my wife's Accord Euro... I've heard luke-warm comments on the VW unit...

Spoke with Guy today, from Oettinger / APR (I gather he's a member here). He said he's reflashed 260 Golf GTIs and 150 Polo GTIs in Australia so far, which surprised me (anyone know how many GTIs have been sold in Aus so far?). He also said he's supplied quite a few reflashes to corporate buyers, who generally have them installed on their cars brand new with the VW dealer's full knowledge. He said it was more important to vary the rpm (ie no motorway cruising at a steady 2500rpm for an hour) when running the car in than to stay below a certain rpm limit. He suggested that having the car reflashed early on shouldn't affect the break in equation... Hmmm, I think I will still wait till I've done at least 1000km and have had a chance to stretch the stock GTI's legs fully before doing the reflash. That way I can enjoy each incremental improvement in performance, rather than scoffing my cake down in one go! :D

Dr Spine
15-02-2007, 06:39 PM
I was tempted to get black. At least it would of hidden some of the road kill.

Black might have hidden the bugs but shows up every other scuff mark. Black looks awesome when it's really clean and shiny but shows up everyday dust a lot more. Not a problem if you like polishing your car a lot.

Tricky
15-02-2007, 08:59 PM
Something weird happened on a short post-work blast this evening... One minute the fuel gauge is 1/4 full and the distance to empty reads 80km. A couple of minutes later the fuel gauge reads basically empty and the distance to empty reads 10km... I thought for a moment I had a fuel leak! Its almost like the fuel gauge was stuck on 1/4 and then freed itself to read the true reading, empty. What is going on?

:?: :???: :?:

drb999
15-02-2007, 10:31 PM
How short was your blast? Petrol consumption is a shocker when you "blast-it", but I guess you know that anyway, so I'd check that again next time you drive and if it reoccurs take it back for a look.

gtimk5
16-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Hi Tricky. The distance to empty is calculated on how you are driving ect.
So, if you are giving it some then your 80kms to empty is changed to your driving pattern at the time. Mine actually showed 180kms to empty once and by short changing the gears ect but still maintaining my 120 km/h I did my 260 km trip to home and the distance to empty showed 80 kms!
So it can work both ways!!! I had an absolute ball that day doing some Targa stages on the west coast of Tas.
Cheers, Andrew :)

Tricky
17-02-2007, 06:35 PM
gtimk5 & drb999- perhaps a combination of both your suggestions explain the fuel gauge... ie v bad consumption when thrashing it and the computer over-reacting to the most recent rate of consumption when calculating distance to empty... Stilll doesn't explain why the fuel gauge itself looked 1/4 and all of a sudden was near empty... maybe I just saw it wrong at 1/4?

Went for a burn today (up Mt Nebo down to Samford, for those of you in Brisvegas; v twisty mountain road for those of you not in Brissy:D ) and was 'accompanied' for a while by someone on a Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa. I was surprised that he could keep up with me. I never had a bike stay with me on those roads when I had the S2000. Not sure if the rider was particularly good or whether I was subconsciously taking it easy as I'm still (a) running it in and (b) learning the car's characteristics.

I suspect I may need to change my driving style a bit. I kept spinning the fronts coming out of tight corners (1st & 2nd gears), when I'm more used to worrying about what the rear is up to.

Tricky
01-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Couldn't hold out beyond 850km... got the APR/Oettinger reflash today from Guy @ Harding Performance. All done in <30min. Holy smoke! Surprisingly big difference. Can't recall a better bang for buck mod.
:D :D

Lams
02-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Hi Tricky,

Nice car - looks like you didn't wait to 1000km to get the car chipped :)

I'm sure previous mk4 owners would agree with me, the stock speakers in those cars were much better.

Enjoy the car and see you up the mountains!

Alex

rikin
05-03-2007, 11:04 PM
Some first thoughts as well.

It's certainly quick! It's great fun to drive and a challenge to keep it within a legal speed limit.

I've had mine now for 3 weeks (but only driven it for 1, away for work the rest of the time). I've enjoyed every minute!

I have nothing to compare it to. Last car I actually owned was a HT ute bought of the side of the road in Kalgoorlie for $500 and I havn't owned a car for over 10 years. I was working away for long periods of time (months). Owning a car was a complete waste of money when you factor in depreciation, registration, insurance, etc and the car was going to spend all that time sitting in a garage, so I just hired cars when I needed them.

Intend to take it for a spin to Albany (WA) on the weekend to help run it in. Very curious about the APR chip upgrade that every one talks about, but will wait for the 1000 km to roll past before starting to get to carried away.

Keeping an eye out for others around Perth. Seen a couple so far, hope your enjoying them as much as I am.

acdcfan
15-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Some first thoughts as well.

It's certainly quick! It's great fun to drive and a challenge to keep it within a legal speed limit.

I've had mine now for 3 weeks (but only driven it for 1, away for work the rest of the time). I've enjoyed every minute!

I have nothing to compare it to. Last car I actually owned was a HT ute bought of the side of the road in Kalgoorlie for $500 and I havn't owned a car for over 10 years. I was working away for long periods of time (months). Owning a car was a complete waste of money when you factor in depreciation, registration, insurance, etc and the car was going to spend all that time sitting in a garage, so I just hired cars when I needed them.

Intend to take it for a spin to Albany (WA) on the weekend to help run it in. Very curious about the APR chip upgrade that every one talks about, but will wait for the 1000 km to roll past before starting to get to carried away.

Keeping an eye out for others around Perth. Seen a couple so far, hope your enjoying them as much as I am.

I bought my 2.0 TDI 3 weesk ago and enjoing every minute of it. Just did 550 km on half a tank.
Marvelous:cool: j: :D :)

Tricky
15-03-2007, 08:12 PM
I bought my 2.0 TDI 3 weesk ago and enjoing every minute of it. Just did 550 km on half a tank.
Marvelous:cool: j:

I got 400-something km out my last full tank... two great little mountain drives ;)

Tricky
15-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I bought my 2.0 TDI 3 weesk ago

Congrats on the new car by the way :D

acdcfan
15-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Congrats on the new car by the way :D

Thanks
When I saw petrol (diesel) consumption (even with 800 km city/freeway driving), I will not think about buying V6 and will not even entertain a V8.

Hilton_K
17-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Had mine less than a week (700-odd kms on the clock) Took it down a nice bit of road for 2 hours today and it feels great, handling is sharp and the engine oh so torquey. Made the twisties so so much fun to drive :-D

acdcfan
18-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Had mine less than a week (700-odd kms on the clock) Took it down a nice bit of road for 2 hours today and it feels great, handling is sharp and the engine oh so torquey. Made the twisties so so much fun to drive :-D

good feeling...... it is like a drug
you want MORE

Dr Spine
19-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Even on a short and simple drive like to the corner store, I still come home with a grin. The car just gives and gives, and then gives a little more.

I drove a mates Lotus Exige S the other day. Awesome is a word that comes to mind but it didn't feel as quick to 100 (it's actually quicker) as the GTI. The GTI turbo just gives a sense of linear power I guess. I'd love the Lotus for a track car but for every day practicality you can't beat the "best of both worlds" options that the GTI gives you. The other Golf variants are excellent too, just not as quick.