PDA

View Full Version : Howdy :)

Wand Weaver
11-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Been lurking around for a while, so thought I'd drop into the "friendly forum" (presumably as opposed to Vortex) and say hey to all the other Polo owners around here :)

I'm going to preempt the call for pictures with the unfortunate news that I don't have any (besides an uber-hi res one of an alloy), but it's a perfectly stock, Reflex Silver GTI. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of the car at the moment - so I've got no plans to mod/chip it - so it's running the same trim since it left the factory in Spain. It's still an absolutely brilliant car though - and running it up the Bells Line of Road will certainly be interesting! :)

Anyway - I must 'fess up to the fact that I do have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer for me...what's in the Coolant bottle (don't say "coolant" please! :p) ?

I was having a bit of a poke around under the bonnet (having a bit of a sticky beak, as well as checking to see if the fluid dripping from the car was oil (it wasn't, and is presumably water from the air conditioning) and I noticed that the coolant was...pink!

Pretty much every car I've ever taken a look under the bonnet of (including a MK 3 VR6 that's in the family) has had green coolant inside their coolant bottles, and I'm wondering if the GTI's running some sort of special coolant?

I guess I'm asking because I spend a bit of time in peak hour traffic, which is pretty much the worst conditions for the cooling system, and I keep an eye on my coolant reservoir which isn't sitting on max, but close enough for me not to worry about it (yet).

Does anywhere know where I can get some of this pink coolant from?

mikinoz
11-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Yo!

Pink coolant, just top it up with water unless you have a serious problem and then it will be under warranty!

Peace!

phaeton
11-02-2007, 05:51 PM
Welcome Wand Weaver good to see another Polo GTI on here :)

Wand Weaver
11-02-2007, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys :)

Just a note on the coolant - I decided to see if it was in the manual...apparently, you need to dilute G12 plus coolant concentrate to 40-60% and put that in the coolant reservoir.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/G12pluspurpm-1.jpg

I guess a trip down to a parts division might be the goer :)

Timbo
11-02-2007, 08:12 PM
I noticed that the coolant was...pink!

It's probably a Valentines Day thing ;)

Seriosuly, my understanding is you can use water for minimal top ups, but anything significant (which implies a significant problem) you will need the mix

shaneth
11-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Welcome Wand Weaver. Glad to hear your enjoying the polo. Enjoy your stay.

mscabrio
15-02-2007, 04:55 PM
You actually look under the bonnet ??????

I don't think that I even know how to open it !!!

Wand Weaver
15-02-2007, 09:22 PM
It's probably a Valentines Day thing ;)

Ha! Good one :)

Seriously, thanks for the advice on the coolant/water issue guys.

As for taking a sticky beak under the bonnet - surely everyone at least keeps an eye on their oil and coolant levels? (Actually - I'm not so certain of that myself any more, coming to think about it...). Short of replacing bulbs, fuses and fluids...I don't do any work on my car personally though - I'm a little too apprehensive about getting something wrong and increasing what should be a $100 job by an order of magnitude...

brackie
16-02-2007, 04:44 AM
Welcome! Is the wand that you weave used for water divining? If so, I hope it finds distilled water! Don't top up with tap water as it contains salts that will cause corrosion or blockages and adversely affect the performance of your G12.

Anyway, you shouldnt need to add coolant for a very long time (on a properly maintained engine this means forever!)