PDA

View Full Version : New Golf - 9 months old?

Meini
26-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi all,

we bought our first new Golf 103 TDI last week and today I noticed that the date of manufacture was January 2009. It had only 20 kms on the clock when I picked it up, but the brake disk where pretty rusty.

Is this acceptable and/or is there a limit on how old a car can be and still be sold as new?

cme2c
26-10-2009, 11:00 AM
If it hasn't been sold or registered to anyone else, it's new. There are most probably still 08 manufactured cars out there being sold as new (not necessarily VWs). Rusty brake discs should be fine after the drive home.

fuzion
26-10-2009, 11:05 AM
its surface rust only due to soft metal on the rotors. nothing to worry about..

you'll notice that it'll happen if you leave it parked in the rain for a few days too, they all do it.

Lima
26-10-2009, 11:07 AM
If it hasn't been sold or registered to anyone else, it's new. There are most probably still 08 manufactured cars out there being sold as new (not necessarily VWs). Rusty brake discs should be fine after the drive home.

Hole in one - I agree.

You'll find that most brake rotors will have light surface rust after a bit of rain. One or two applications of the brakes in normal driving should have everything looking normal again.

Meini
26-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks all for your quick replies. The rust on the brakes is still visible as brown spots (after 400kms), so it penetrated a bit, but I am not too concerned about that. I was more worried if the actual age of the car was acceptable. And yes cme2c, I agree if it hasn't been registered/used it is new but there must be a limit how old a new car can be?

Dubya
26-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks all for your quick replies. The rust on the brakes is still visible as brown spots (after 400kms), so it penetrated a bit, but I am not too concerned about that. I was more worried if the actual age of the car was acceptable. And yes cme2c, I agree if it hasn't been registered/used it is new but there must be a limit how old a new car can be?

A car can either be new, a demo, or used.

If it is not a demo, and it is not used, it must be new, irrespective of when it was manufactured.

brad
26-10-2009, 12:24 PM
My Skoda was Nov 07 build when i bought it in July 08. The compliance plate is stamped July 08 and the dealer made sure that I was fully aware that I was buying an 8 month old, new car. maybe your dealer could have communicated better but I don't think they have done anything naughty.

When i have bought new cars in the past I have specified that the build date shold be mm/yy or newer.

The brake disc rust is normal. Mine rust overnight after a wash.

Meini
26-10-2009, 12:41 PM
When i have bought new cars in the past I have specified that the build date shold be mm/yy or newer.

Thanks brad, I will do that too when I buy my next Golf..

DeanoTDI
26-10-2009, 08:23 PM
My Golf VI 103TDI purchased in July, was a 12/08 build. Part of the large allocation of Golf VI's delivered earlier in the year to Australia. Alot of these are still in stock as the slowly sell through them. Just depends if you're lucky to find one with your specs in stock! otherwise, join the waiting list.

I had mine in 2 weeks from signing it, whilst my friend order his 3 weeks earlier at the end of June, and only had it delivered 2 weeks ago, due to not having his specs in the country.

Meini
26-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Wow, that means they started building the Mk6 way back somewhen in 2008, I assumed since they call it Release Feb09 they started building it roundabout then.

Yes, we were flexible with the specs so it was on stock in Brisbane. It was all in all a very quick decision. One day we decided to check out the local dealership. 2 days later I put a signature on a contract for the best car I ever owned! A week later the car was ready to be picked up, faster than I could get my hands on some cash to pay for it. :)

cme2c
27-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Glad your happy with the car. so are we :-). This is my wife's car and she didn't want to compromise, so we had one built just the way she wanted it, colour, options and so on. Ordered May 09, Build date July 09 delivered September 09.

The dealer gave us a really good pre trade price on our Honda, in fact the changeover was about the same as a Mazda3 SP25.

Of course she was driving my Peugeot 206GTi for that time ( and complaining about how rough and noisy it is). I was driving my Bedford van. We were both happy to see the 118TSI I can tell you!

Hope you have many happy kilometres.

Meini
28-10-2009, 07:59 AM
Thanks cme2c, it puts things a bit in perspective for me. It is good to hear your wife finally got the Golf so you can drive a car again! I drove a van for years and it is such a pleasure when you can go back to a normal car.

Great you got a good price for your trade in too. I am not sure if I should start a new thread with this, but I was always wondering what the best way is to tackle negotiations when you have a trade in? Especially if you want to keep your options open.