PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here though not a Skoda owner just yet!

zach
23-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade from my 04 Mazda 6 sedan into something with a larger boot so have been looking at the Octavia wagons. I was fortunate to get a RS DSG for an overnight test drive and have also driven the 1.8 DSG wagon.

On the positive both engines/transmission combos were superb coming from 2.3l atmo and 4sp auto the power delivery aided by DSG was light years ahead. Boot in wagon has great dimensions having straight walls unlike other wagons which have wheel arches in the way, etc. Updated interior is for me far superior to previous model. I can go on and on really :)

On the negatives although only a couple but quite major and wanted to seek your feedback/opinions. The seats in both cars particulalrly for the lower back are quite narrow and I'm not a huge bloke by anymeans. Anyone else notice this but have come acustomed to it?

The 1.8 suspension was as reported in media, jiggly. It was probably a worse ride than the RS. Not sure how this happens or allowed to leave factory with such a ride? I'd want to add 17" wheels for asthetics but how poor would the ride be then?

Am going to test drive another 1.8 and also the TDI (non RS) to check the ride again. Sorry for long post and appreicate your thoughts.

Bayford Skoda
23-10-2009, 10:06 AM
The 17" wheel option is factory fitted and comes with sports suspension, so it ride's quite similar to the RS.

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
23-10-2009, 10:32 AM
The 1.8 suspension was as reported in media, jiggly. It was probably a worse ride than the RS. Not sure how this happens or allowed to leave factory with such a ride? I'd want to add 17" wheels for asthetics but how poor would the ride be then?

The concept of how a car should ride and it's feel are all very personal things. Coming from VW we had the some comments from journalists and customers. Some loved it and felt it made the car feel solid and others felt it was 'jiggly'. You are the best perosn to determine whether it is the right choice for you and a ride that you can live with.

I am driving a 1.8ltr Wagon DSG at the moment and i can tell you for me i feel the car drives and handles brillianltly no different to a Golf V or Jetta.

The 17" wheels will probably add to the filling of firmness given the sports suspension will be a part of the package but driving the RS will give you a reasonable feel for this.

Good luck with it but keep in mind that it is a personal thing so dont allow one persons opinion to sway you, they maybe professional journalists but they are not always 100% right especially on matters that really come back to pure personal opinion.

woofy
23-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Not sure what you mean by the interior have a huge difference over the previous model. The interior was hardly touched, in reality it was just the touch screen bolero, unless that is what you mean, the new A/C controls etc, are much of a muchness.

The new steering wheel....well....yucky

woofy
23-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Should add, I have an 06 Mazda Hatch, and its boot is still bigger than the Skoda....the dimensions are better for some things in one, and better in the other, ie the Mazda is wider but the Skoda is deeper. The Wagon won't be much more than a 6 hatch, but coming from a sedan, there probably is a more dramatic difference.

wombatoutofhell
23-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Welcome Zach
I have a pre facelift RS and have no complaints about the ride. I was actually surprised-with a firm suspension and 18" wheels I expected it to be a bit harsh so that was good. I have no trouble with the seats and neither does my wife who is a larger lady. In fact she likes my Skoda so much she'd get one herself but really wants a smaller car.
I agree with Woofy on the new steering wheel!

zach
23-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Not sure what you mean by the interior have a huge difference over the previous model. The interior was hardly touched, in reality it was just the touch screen bolero, unless that is what you mean, the new A/C controls etc, are much of a muchness.

The new steering wheel....well....yucky

woofy actually the wheel is better the bolero and A/C controls ar emore upmarket so generally more upmarket and modern feel. the deepness of Octavia mean things (eg pram) that normally lay flat in my sedan can stand upright providing more space for other things

spellbound
23-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi ZACK

I moved from a 04 liberty 3.0r , much more usable wagon space in the rs wagon , need it with my business , although its not a flat floor its a deep jobby , takes a load .

I prefer the rs ride to the liberty , it is a bit jiggly on rubbishy suburban roads , but you forget it after a few weeks , i hope you got to take the rs on a twisty rural B road , cause thats where it excels .

Regarding the seats iam 186cm and have no complaints , they certaily hold me more firmly than the scoobie , when cornering on B roads

Best bit is economy ,went from 14l/100 to 8.3l/100 city cycle and on rural from a best ever of 9.3l to 6.4l and thats a rs tfsi not a diesel .

onyertod
23-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Zach,

Just has my 1.8 tsi wagon with DSG box for two weeks.

Looked at lots of alternatives but the Skoda won me over on both performance and economy. The engine and gearbox are a great combination.

Bolero stero is class. This car is just loaded with features.

Ride is firm which is what I expected, given the level of roadholding but I suspect 17 inch wheels would not help.

As for the seat, I did a fair bit of playing with the various adjustments before it felt just right.

gregozedobe
23-10-2009, 09:39 PM
The seats in both cars particulalrly for the lower back are quite narrow and I'm not a huge bloke by anymeans. Anyone else notice this but have come acustomed to it?

The 1.8 suspension was as reported in media, jiggly. It was probably a worse ride than the RS.

Am going to test drive another 1.8 and also the TDI (non RS) to check the ride again.

As for the seat, I did a fair bit of playing with the various adjustments before it felt just right.

I'm a bit "generously proportioned" (aka fat), and the vRS seats did feel almost too narrow at first, but now I quite like them. I wasn't impressed with the std model Octy seats.

I found the suspension on the std Octys I test drove felt a bit soft and floaty compared with the vRS. I did think the 1.8 TSI engine was an absolute peach.

As Onyertod says, there are a lot of adjustments to help you get properly comfortable, so have a play and see how you go (don't forget the steering wheel goes up and down and in and out).

zach
23-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Hi Zach,

Just has my 1.8 tsi wagon with DSG box for two weeks.

Looked at lots of alternatives but the Skoda won me over on both performance and economy. The engine and gearbox are a great combination.

Bolero stero is class. This car is just loaded with features.

Ride is firm which is what I expected, given the level of roadholding but I suspect 17 inch wheels would not help.

how are you finding real world fuel economy. also is fuel min 98RON or 95RON?

spellbound
24-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Minimum is 95 ron ,have also topped up in country with 91 ran ok , but get best economy and power from 98 , but rs will run happily on 95 and mine is 08 model

woofy
24-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Um min is 98, it will tolerate 95, and in desperation 91, but wouldn't make a habit of using either as its set up for 98.

onyertod
26-10-2009, 12:17 PM

Hi Zach,

Still 'running in' so still taking it easy. First full tank of 98 returned 7.0l /100klms.

I suspect that in any car, fuel econonmy depends a lot on the weight of your right foot. I fully expect that my wife will get better economy than I will.

Salesman told us that at a Skoda event he had taken part in an economy contest with other dealers. In an effort to save fuel everyone put the seven speed DSG box in manual mode. Everyone except him - he left it in auto. He won.

He also made the point that that Skoda has no problems advocating that you run the TSI on 95 fuel. In fact the sticker inside the fuel flap says 95.

Once a sceptic, I now believe that you will get better economy on 98 fuel. I plan to test the theory by trying 95 and 95 to see if price vs klms/100 warrants the more expensive 98 fuel.

wombatoutofhell
26-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I did an economy run in mine (pre FL RS) with the Fiat Car Club about 6 months back. Not a real world test as I was driving with a feather foot anf rolling down hills (with engine running). The route took us from Brandom Park up Wellington Rd, Lysterfield Rd. through Ferntree Gully and up Mountain Hwy, zig zag back and forth across Mt Dandenong before finishing in Pakenham. About 140km with alot of hills and I returned 6.2l/100km. I had to point out to the officials that it was a petrol engine-they assumed I had a diesel. I ran 98 fuel.
In a real world test I drove from Cranbourne to Canberra on a tank. Drove back on another tank. I think my economy was helped by all the 80km zones through roadwork in NSW, but that also made for alot of stop start driving.

brad
26-10-2009, 12:37 PM
The seats in both cars particulalrly for the lower back are quite narrow and I'm not a huge bloke by anymeans. Anyone else notice this but have come acustomed to it?
I like the seats and find them very comfortable, except the squab length is about 25mm too long. As an indication I'm 167cm (5'6") & am 10 kg overweight @ 82kg. Generally I buy size 87Stout King-Gee workpants or 33S 501s (as an indication of size/leg length)

I have the 1.8TSI Elegance.
The ride can tend to harshness but not enough to be annoying. I run my tyre pressures at 36F/34R and the factory spec is 29/29 (IIRC), so if it was really annoying I'd drop it down a fraction. I also find the 205/55x16 tyres a bit squishy and will probably look at getting some 17" rims when the 16" rubber is worn out.

I think if the suspension was softer the car wouldn't be as enjoyable when driving our "B" roads.

brad
26-10-2009, 12:43 PM

Thes days I get about 6.5L/100km. 90% motorway driving; 10% Sydney suburbs.

Contrary to what Woofy says, the minimum fuel requirement for the 1.8TSI is 95ron but 98ron gives better economy and better low down torque. It costs me $50-$100 extra per year (25,000km) to run 98.

It is gutless on 92ron and suprisingly, 100ron e10 made it guzzle fuel fuel without any performance increase.

woofy
26-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I just realised you guys are all talking about the 1.8L, the 2L is 98 in the fuel door and in brackets 95 if you have to.