PDA

View Full Version : Why is Skoda Australia NOT Advertising

Skoda Convert
22-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Is it just me or does Skoda seem non existant in the Australian media? The last 5 weeks in the Age they have had no ads for any dealer or by them as a manufacturer and they haven;t had an add on TV since they aired the Superb adds on SBS during late night Tour De Frog.

If Proton can have adds running flat out in prime time why can't Skoda?

Maybe they are contented by 100 or so units nationally a month???:confused:

anthony_VWJET
22-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I've seen some of their billboard ad campaigns - "convince your better half" (something along those lines) ...which even has its own website.

Just because you may not see their ads doesnt entirely mean that they dont have any going... even though you show interest in Skoda, you may not be part of their target audience.

gregozedobe
22-10-2009, 04:09 PM
I've seen a fair few of those "convince your wife" ads (pushing the Oct vRS) in car magazines and daily papers.

TuNeS
22-10-2009, 06:20 PM
I have seen several billboards with the 'convince your wife' line.

Also, I know it isnt advertising, but Skoda has had coverage on several websites by allowing cars to be tested (caradvice.com.au) and I have seen two seperate articles giving them a wrap in courier mail here is Brisbane.

K1W1
22-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Advertising goes in cycles (no pun intended).
Skoda as an International company are heavily into sponsorship of major bicycle racing events and when the tour De France is on there are Skoda ads at every ad break on SBS for the entire 3 weeks.
Whether that is right or wrong who can say but I suspect that's a directive from head office and it may soak up a large proportion of the budget here in Australia.

pinzvidz
22-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Sounds professional.

The position at Skoda Australia or the "drop the baby" bit? :)

Skoda Convert
23-10-2009, 07:34 AM
I have seen several billboards with the 'convince your wife' line.

I have seen the3 billboards to in Melb and Perth but it is starting appear as though you have to convince your better half the car even exists, then convince her she should buy it.

I have also seen the adverts you refer to but none of this is really having an impact on brand recognision here in OZ. For a brnad to have any real success they need to throw themselves at the masses, you can't sit in the background hoping people will somehow stumble across you.

All i know is that some discount book wharehouse in collingwood can advetise on melbourne TV flat out during prime time week in week out then why can't Skoda have a crack. It appears they feel they can replicate VW success and just really on print and internet reviews.

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
23-10-2009, 08:05 AM
I have to admit the advertising is a little scamp but from someone who is on the showroom floor i can tell you that the small amount of advertising they are doing is working well.

People are coming in excited about the product and very much prepared to purchase based on thier research especially the RS and Superb buyers. I came from VW and yes we did do very well from the print media reviews but the brand had much more recognition here in Australia for many years before this so it is an unfair comparison. I think to that Skoda Australia are well and truly aware of the parametres they are working within, they to have an invested interest in seeing the brand work and advertising would only form a part of the overall grand plan i would think?!.

However the advertising they are doing is bringing in Skoda cliental that seem to be more focused on our product and maybe one other. For the best part everyone who walks in we would have sold to at least half to a third of them and of those we are getting trade-ins that have brought people over from Lexus, BMW, Peugeot, Mercedes to name a few which is also encouraging.

I'm sure there is a grand plan in there somewhere, like all major companies we'll all know about it when it happens and in time it will.

dazag
23-10-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm in the process of making up my own little TV style ad with my Ocy RS FL wagon, but it's based on it being a turbo deisel. It can't be used to actually advertise the car because I'm using a commercial song that has copyright. but I think it fits well - Deisel power by The Prodigy. I will put it on Youtube when i finished so people can check it out and give me feed back.........
Am about to head out and get some more footage with different angles with a suction cap camera mount and wide angle lens.
Is there any suggestions on what I should be showing off on the car..........

K1W1
23-10-2009, 01:26 PM
It can't be used to actually advertise the car because I'm using a commercial song that has copyright. but I think it fits well - Deisel power by The Prodigy. I will put it on Youtube when i finished so people can check it out and give me feed back......

I assume that you know that Youtube may block the soundtrack if the digital rights holder objects.

dazag
23-10-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes I know that, but will try the throw it up anyway. The clip will show it's their song anyway ( both on the MDF & Bolero screens) , so hopefully that will help.

TuNeS
23-10-2009, 06:56 PM
I have seen the3 billboards to in Melb and Perth but it is starting appear as though you have to convince your better half the car even exists, then convince her she should buy it.

I have also seen the adverts you refer to but none of this is really having an impact on brand recognision here in OZ. For a brnad to have any real success they need to throw themselves at the masses, you can't sit in the background hoping people will somehow stumble across you.

All i know is that some discount book wharehouse in collingwood can advetise on melbourne TV flat out during prime time week in week out then why can't Skoda have a crack. It appears they feel they can replicate VW success and just really on print and internet reviews.

Well, none of us know their marketing plan do we? They are a new company to Australia, so to be honest, I think drilling adds into people non-stop on TV isnt the right image. Also, if they advertise too much, there is a chance they may not be able to deliver due to car shortages which could be even worse to the brand image. Have a look on the briskoda forums.....people are waiting 3 months from ordering as they are such a popular car.

Sustained steady growth is the key. Have a look how long it took VW and subaru to get noticed and respected here. A company like VW wouldnt be bringing Skoda's in just for ****s and giggles....takes time. For the moment, I will continue to enjoy the 2nd looks everybody gives me when they dont know what my Octy is.

spellbound
23-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Spot on TUNES , i agree with your comments , finding that target market is difficult , slowly slowly catchy , the cycling thing is certainly a long term winner , thats how many of my friends know the brand .

For me it was just simply reading " WHAT CAR UK" reports and the J D POWER results , which put skoda right up there with lexus that got me interested .

We are the pioneers who took the plunge .

K1W1
23-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Have a look on the briskoda forums.....people are waiting 3 months from ordering as they are such a popular car.

I think that you will find that possibly the majority of Skoda buyers in Australia wait three months as well at the moment.

Stoney!
24-10-2009, 04:55 AM
3 months is pretty normal, I waited almost 4 for the Mk6 Golf....

Stoney!

dazag
07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
Have started making up a small clip, more to come, I just need to get out and get more footage.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBv2rNC8X5w

Loobie
08-11-2009, 07:19 AM
Have started making up a small clip, more to come, I just need to get out and get more footage.......

The 5 sec of key turn to the needle sweep start-up is a great lead-in to the 'action' shots! And love the suction mount shots from outside, esp from the LHS 3/4 panel. Looking forward to the whole clip

TuNeS
08-11-2009, 09:39 AM
That looks brilliant. 10 times more professional than the 'convince your better half' adds. You should sell it to skoda when your done :) What camera are you using? Something like the go pro mtotorsport hero?

dazag
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah just borrowed a mates new GoPro, I mean i dont need any high res for youtube so can get away with it a bit. Some of it was taken with my Sony V1 , a Sony HC7 with wide angle lens, and the GoPro. I'm going to buy some more suction cup mounts so i can play with more angles, and I'm looking at buying a contour HD helmet cam soon, but am saving up for a Sony MC1 lipstick cam - true High def wide screen helmet cam - very nice bit of kit.

I need to get the wfe to drive around a bit in some nice twisty road sections and I'll take the footage from the side of the road, also need to get a mate to come give me a hand and i'll do some shots driving beside the Skoda, shooting out the side of my van. Will most probably change the clip a little, maybe even re-shooting some of the clips. Will look at putting in some actual audio of the car too, see if i can isolate the turbo whine a little.

Ahh having with the Skoda :)

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
09-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Really good job Dazag, they do try to appeal to the 'thinker' when it comes to Volkswagen advertising but they tend to lose sight of the fact that a huge part of the decision is emmotive. Think of how successful Zoom Zoom Zoom has been, they are behind in environmental specs, technology and build quality ,cost around the same and we really havent made substantial in roads on this section of the market as yet.

Some emmotive TV adds on the RS, Superb and Octavia II before the Yeti arrives just to get into peoples conscious would be great. They may need to look at something for TV, not to overload people with but just a little somehting to remain in the psyche

That aside though i would love to see the finished product of this and to show it head office marketing if that is okay with you DAZAG?

Transporter
09-11-2009, 11:15 AM
I think that you need to let people to roadtest these cars more. One of my customer asked me what car to buy and I said him take Skoda for roadtest, he got the car for 2days and he bought it (Commodore driver who needed big boot or cargo area). He was glad of my suggestion.

Get these cars out, so people can drive them! The best form of advertising IMO. :)

Graybags
09-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Gr8 vid mate! Very inspiring. Reminds me of the Top Gear episode when they had to do tv add for a golf.

Jake02
09-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Gr8 vid mate! Very inspiring. Reminds me of the Top Gear episode when they had to do tv add for a golf.

Sorry to correct, but it was a Scirocco and yes that ep was SO funny! James was very, very angry at Jeremy :D

TuNeS
09-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Yeah just borrowed a mates new GoPro, I mean i dont need any high res for youtube so can get away with it a bit. Some of it was taken with my Sony V1 , a Sony HC7 with wide angle lens, and the GoPro. I'm going to buy some more suction cup mounts so i can play with more angles, and I'm looking at buying a contour HD helmet cam soon, but am saving up for a Sony MC1 lipstick cam - true High def wide screen helmet cam - very nice bit of kit.

I need to get the wfe to drive around a bit in some nice twisty road sections and I'll take the footage from the side of the road, also need to get a mate to come give me a hand and i'll do some shots driving beside the Skoda, shooting out the side of my van. Will most probably change the clip a little, maybe even re-shooting some of the clips. Will look at putting in some actual audio of the car too, see if i can isolate the turbo whine a little.

Ahh having with the Skoda :)

The GoPro camera are awesome for their price. I few guys I race go-karts with use them. I am hoping Santa brings me one for xmas :)

dazag
09-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Yeah GoPro's are good for their money, I mean the wide angle is good, and the ease of transfering the footage across to the Mac, but I really like having good quality resolution which the GoPro isn't too bad, but not DVD quality. You may not see the quality difference between the camera's but watching it on TV is very noticeable.

If I had the cash, a Sony MC1 helmet cam would be in my camera bag for sure. I might hire one to get some good quality footage similar to what i took with the GoPro.

Ahhh, I need to work out what other footage I'm going to get and get it finished......

Would be interesting to see what Head office Marketing thinks...........