PDA

View Full Version : Phone menu not working on RNS510

BlackSuperb
22-10-2009, 06:33 AM
My Superb has a Columbus Nav (RNS510) Satnav and dealer fitted genuine bluetooth (actually a VW bluetooth system).

The bluetooth works with the phone and mutes the sound system, the phone and volume button on the steering wheel works and can hang up the phone and adjust the volume, so all good there.

The Phone button on the Satnav doesn't do much. All it does is mute the sound system and doesn't bring up a dialing pad on the screen as per the manual. I can't access the phones' address book (HTC Diamond or my wife's Nokia) via the screen, also there is no phone menu on the MFD in the instrument cluster.

The dealer says this is "normal" for Skoda but I'm not convinced.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
22-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Black Superb,
Your dealer is correct and should have explained this to you before installing the kit. All VW, Audi and Skoda's use the same Sat Nav system along with this hands free kit so all share the same minimal functionality.

The kit is designed to be fully integrated but is not designed to give you full functionality. In Europe they have what they call the premium kit which allows you to see sms on screen, dial from the sat nav (e.g. restaurants) and see who is calling you (number, name etc).

This kit is not available in Skoda but Audi and VW have it for the installed price of around $2,000 here in OZ. Price is a huge deterant but so is the fact that it is only compatible with 12 phones, not 12 manufacturers but literally 12 mobile phone types.

Given the fact that you have had to post in here for a few items i am afraid that your dealer is perpetuating the poor experience levels that seem to be associated with the brand recently. I may not be the silver bullet for some of your issue's but you are welcome to send me a private message if you have any further queries i can assist with.

Good luck

BlackSuperb
22-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks again Chris.

The servicing dealer mentioned something like that but was unsure and couldn't provide me with any depth of knowledge. It was only my first service and so far the car has been performing extremely well and those two niggles are only minor in nature and don't detract from the overall vehicle.

Interestingly, one of the vehicles on my list to buy was the Lexus IS250 and its' Satnav integrates fully with the bluetooth and mobile phones (a mate has one with the Satnav, roof and rev cam option). Another mate has the latest Audi A4 with exactly the same Satnav unit which works seamlessly with his phone (he must have paid $2K for it, ouch). I obviously didn't ask the right question when ordering and assumed it would work. (Despite the fact that the manual says it should.)

I don't know how much training they give to their front office staff in the service department but they sell a number of different makes and maybe not all are "Skoda skilled". Interestingly, their overall service seems to be better from what I was used to at Subaru (previous car).

Thanks for your answers anyway.

BlackSkoda

Swallowtail
22-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Blacksuperb - go to the Car Audio and Electronics section, and read my posts on Bluetooth options for the RNS510 (aka Columbus). The system that you have installed from the sound of it is Option 1 - i.e. the Nokia "Basic" option. As Mentone Skoda has advised, the "Premium" option (which isn't an option for Skodas) is not a good idea anyway. There are other options though - see options 2 and 3 on my Sticky - both of which fully integrate with RNS510, MFD and steering wheel, and are available here in Oz, albeit not from your dealer. If you choose the 729 (Skoda Bluetooth) there are some issues around different versions and the different MFD displays in some cars, so have a read and post back here...

The Fiscon unit is a fairly simple install, a bit less "OEM" than the 729, but still not a bad option. If you have a factory VW OEM mic installed to the head lining console that will simplify things if you choose the 729 route. I am not sure which mic they install with the Nokia kit in Skodas...

So all is not lost, but it will cost you some more $ to get where you want to be...

BlackSuperb
22-10-2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/emo_duhgif-1.jpg That's what I was looking for! Thanks.

Swallowtail
22-10-2009, 02:35 PM
You're most welcome... :D

BlackSuperb
22-10-2009, 09:48 PM
....If you have a factory VW OEM mic installed to the head lining console that will simplify things if you choose the 729 route. I am not sure which mic they install with the Nokia kit in Skodas....

I emailed the Polish guy on Fleabay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-RNS510-MFD3-BLUETOOTH-KIT-GOLF-MK6-CC-MFD-RNS-VER-D_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27ab3b02a5QQitemZ1703 76495781QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccess ories) and he said his kits don't work with the Nokia mike. You would have to install the one that comes with the kit.

Still at US$439 including priority postage, it's on the "doable" list. Especially with the US$ rate getting better day by day.

Any ideas on somebody in Sydney who would do the install and has access to a VAGCOM?

Swallowtail
22-10-2009, 10:45 PM
The strong $ helps. I don't know anyone in Sydney to fit one, sorry. Fitting is awkward but not impossible if you are handy. Someone on here will have vagcom that you can use I'd have thought.

mjd
23-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Would the kit from Poland work with the bolero stereo ie no Columbus unit.

Swallowtail
23-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Would the kit from Poland work with the bolero stereo ie no Columbus unit.

I honestly couldn't tell you, sorry. If it has a quadlock connector on the back the same as the Columbus, then possibly. Does it have an onscreen phone menu?

mjd
23-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Has a phone button below radio & media that mutes the radio when phone button is pushed. Its a my10 vrs wagon.

Swallowtail
23-10-2009, 12:19 PM
OK, I think that the Bolero is just a renamed RCD510. In which case it should be fine...

Check here: http://briskoda.net/superb-ii/factory-kit-option-bluetooth-bolero/141082/ photos here:

http://s588.photobucket.com/albums/ss329/BurialConstant/Bluetooth/

You can get the kits from ebay. If you want integration with your MFD you will need to have access to a VAGCOM / VCDS setup. Make sure that you get the correct one for your MFD - white or red. The ebay seller should be able to help you on that.

mjd
23-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks Swallowtail for your constant help & input on this site :clap:. Btw have the vagcom although not used it yet.

Swallowtail
23-10-2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks Swallowtail for your constant help & input on this site :clap:. Btw have the vagcom although not used it yet.

No problems mjd... glad to be able to help.

BlackSuperb
25-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Took a while but I got it all sorted.

I now have full connectivity with my phone through the Columbus Nav and the MFD.

I bought the Bluetooth kit from the guy in Poland (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170376495781&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT). Offered him US$300 and he accepted, plus US$80 shipping. :emo_baghead:

Bought a VAGCOM from this mob (http://www.alpha-bid.com/vagusb.html) for US$83.93 - I know, I know, people said buy the original, don't buy the cheapie, but this one works so I saved US$350.00.

Got a local audio installer to install it for A$160.00.

All up A$679.39.

All good. Thanks to everyone for your help, especially Swallowtail. :driver:

Swallowtail
25-11-2009, 04:27 PM
Well done. Real VAGCOM isn't 430 though?? The one I got was $350 US, and I could have got hte $250 one but I wanted to be able to read shaneth's Polo too.

BlackSuperb
25-11-2009, 04:33 PM
OK, you sprung me there.

It's actually US$349.00 from Ross Tech plus delivery which I'm guessing at US$50.00 (having bought several items from the US in the last month). So it was US$315.00 cheaper than the real thing.

Picky picky picky. :cool:

geoffp
27-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Bought a VAGCOM from this mob (http://www.alpha-bid.com/vagusb.html) for US$83.93 - I know, I know, people said buy the original, don't buy the cheapie, but this one works so I saved US$350.00.

Hi BlackSuperb,

I am toying with buying a VagCom myself.

The above linked website says that the displayed cables do not work on CAN-BUS vehicles.

I have to email them for a compatible CAN-BUS cable.

Which cable did you buy (Part Number)?

Also, which software package did you purchase?

Thanks,
Geoff.

BlackSuperb
27-01-2010, 07:09 AM
The above linked website says that the displayed cables do not work on CAN-BUS vehicles.

Hi Geoff,

I too had the same reservations about what it said on the website and the compatibility with CAN-BUS vehicles.

They responded to my emails and assured me it would work if I included the option of "Freeware Version 805" software when checking out of the store.

I'm not sure how "freeware" can cost $51 but there you are. :rolleyes:

Which cable did you buy (Part Number)?

The link in my previous post will take you to the cable I bought. The SKU is VAG-USB.

Also, which software package did you purchase?.

I just got the "Freeware Version 805". There is no instruction manual or codes list that comes with the hardware or the software so if you are going to make adjustments, you have to source these from somewhere else. All I needed to do at the time was to code the Columbus to accept the new Bluetooth unit. The codes were supplied by the Bluetooth seller.

To be honest, I'm not sure, had I known of the alternatives, if I would go down the same path.

There are a lot of units on eBay that seem to have it all in one package for a fraction of the cost of a new Columbus and they run TomTom GPS software which IMO is superior to the native GPS software by a long shot. They also have fully functioning Bluetooth, rear view cameras and hard disks etc.

Bit late now because I ordered my car with the Columbus, so all in all I'm happy, if not a little poorer.

geoffp
27-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi Geoff,

I too had the same reservations about what it said on the website and the compatibility with CAN-BUS vehicles.

They responded to my emails and assured me it would work if I included the option of "Freeware Version 805" software when checking out of the store.

I'm not sure how "freeware" can cost $51 but there you are. :rolleyes:

I have emailed them as well to confirm hardware and software compatibility with my car.

The link in my previous post will take you to the cable I bought. The SKU is VAG-USB.

I just got the "Freeware Version 805". There is no instruction manual or codes list that comes with the hardware or the software so if you are going to make adjustments, you have to source these from somewhere else.

Do you reckon it is worth purchasing the full featured version from ross-tech.com or does the "freeware" version at $51 (only $48 cheaper than the full version) give you enough features.

I wonder if I need to purchase the "freeware" version from their store if I bought the full version from ross-tech. Would their cable still work?

Geoff.

Swallowtail
27-01-2010, 09:21 AM
The current software from Rosstech is free, it's the cable that enables full functionality and that they make you pay for.

804 is OLD... and predates most of the current crop of new VW vehicles I believe. You would almost certainly have issues with some "labels" in the program not accurately matching the coding of the newer controllers.