PDA

View Full Version : help my car idles at 5000rpm

GoLfMan
29-10-2005, 06:12 PM
hey all... can someone help me please? ive finally got the dellortoes on and they splutter into life with such a glorious sound... but it idles at 5000rpm...
on a scary note the throttle cable that was loose jumped into the pulleys sparks everywhere :oops: ... lucky i shut the engine off quick smart...

so please tell me where the idling screws are and how to calm it down a tad
cheers
GM

Golf Loon
29-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Check that your throttle cable is not holding the carbys open, they need to go back to the rest position.

There is one idle adjustment for each carby, big straight edge bolt with a spring behind it. Adjust evenly, or they will never balance. You have been warned.

GoLfMan
29-10-2005, 08:24 PM
that i have been, a bid straight edged bolt u say? where is it positioned on the carb? the throttle cable is not attached.

Golf Loon
30-10-2005, 07:18 PM
screw, sorry not bolt. Theres only two of em? I havent got a set to look at, and cant remember. The front or the outsides I think.

GoLfMan
01-11-2005, 08:35 PM
well found the idling screws... bitza came around and helped me out (thanks heaps) it turned out the butterflies werent closing properly.. and still arent aparently a strong return spring is needed..
thanks to bitza for all his help... and i had a ride in his Cupra... $hit Hot :D

Golf Loon
02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
Hoorah for bitza, he knows his VWs. Nice Seat Too. So is your golf running now Golf Man?

GoLfMan
02-11-2005, 08:49 PM
no it is not unfortunately mate. gotta make up a couple of bits and maybye get the carbi serviced and looked over. im returning it to stock so i can get a roadworthy and club rego then i can play around with it all i want :) then i can buy the euro GTi downpipe off bitza :P