PDA

View Full Version : from golf v to RS octavia

nyc863
20-10-2009, 10:42 PM
I'll just put down a couple of impressions jumping straight from a Mk V golf tdi to a new skoda RS wagon tsi, stuff apart from the obvious from diesel->petrol

the wing mirrors feel really LARGE, like those on a ford explorer!
the steering is more vague around center, and differently weighted
the rear vision mirror makes whatever is behind feel like it is closer
the bolero sound system is better
where has my electronic lumbar support gone?
the interior grab handles don't soft close
where is my gas strut under the engine bonnet?
road feel is overall a bit more "solid"/"weighty" & a tad quieter
strange instrument look thru a tunnel without lights set to auto. Lit needles but nothing else?

ok, now the obvious

the car doesn't shake when you turn off the engine (etc)
no cloud of smoke in the rear mirror when booting it
less take off dsg "pause" (but still not as sprightly as an old 2.5 subaru with slushbox)
sydney stop/start + a bit of bridge/tunnel no longer 6l/100km now more like 8.5l/100km

Graybags
21-10-2009, 07:22 AM
the rear vision mirror makes whatever is behind feel like it is closer

So does this mean you think people are tailgating?
Great comparison, doesn't seem like too big a change.

TuNeS
21-10-2009, 08:10 AM
where is my gas strut under the engine bonnet?

you have an oil burner. you never need to open the bonnet :P

team_v
21-10-2009, 08:23 AM
A lot of the issues you have mentioned would not be found in any other cars at that price range either.

Since Skoda is the cheaper version of VW, they aren't going to canibalise their VW sales with a car that is just as good, with all the bells and whistles but costs either the same or less.

Is it a facelifted RS or the older model?

nyc863
21-10-2009, 10:05 AM
facelifted.

And it isn't an oil burner, it is the TSI, but I actually lifted the bonnet more on the TDI golf (than I hope to on the octavia) because every year it would need another liter or two of that liquid gold VW call their special oil!

they aren't really issues. I'm happy with the car, I hope it will serve the family well and won't mind getting curbed (not by me!) and bingled by SUV doors at the mall, and so on.

It is just amusing what random thoughts pop into mind when jumping straight from a well worn glove to a new car especially one with such familiar components

we're driving it up the coast today, unfortunate that it has to be the 'run in' mileage. I hope we don't have to test skoda roadside assist!

nyc863
21-10-2009, 11:43 PM
some more :)

no red led downlighting or accent lighting eg door handles
no map reading spots!
no vanity mirror lighting
no fuel door release button
center not door mounted central locking switch
rear window switches moved up and forward (out of childs reach)
windscreen washer pump not as strong (see next)
when stationary, window wash goes over car. but on highway it goes too low!
wipers don't do single "drip cleaning" wipe after off
by default headlights don't do the follow home thing
by default clicking unlock doesn't turn on headlights?
climate is dual zone vs mk v single zone.
glovebox is not lockable

I wonder what other subtle corners have been cut vs Vw.

and more on fuel/power:
filling tank to brim reads about 750km to go when on highway (tdi would say 1000+)
steady 110 shows 7.5/100 which is what the tdi did as short trip urban avg
tsi kicks down where the tdi would just lope uphill in 6th at 1500rpm and 100kmh

I like the fogs, makes up for low beam on the ugly night pacific highway, by widening the light cone a lot!
the corner (fog) lighting on turns actually is useful at night. I like it. most of the results of a fancy corner following headlight system at a fraction of the engineering.

Gaz
22-10-2009, 06:29 AM
on the plus side, no one has ever had their "chicken with an arrow in it's head" badge stolen.

gregozedobe
22-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I think this is actually quite a clever piece of design. You have to be at the filler cap to put fuel in, so you just push on the cap and it opens.

center not door mounted central locking switch My passenger much prefers this arrangement - she can lock/unlock the car without needing to reach all the way over to the driver's door.

wipers don't do single "drip cleaning" wipe after off I have a vague idea that my Octy has done this in the past, maybe it was with the wipers on "auto" (which I no longer use).

Maybe try fiddling with the MFD/Maxi dot settings and leave the headlights on "auto", as I think mine did do this until I changed the settings.

and more on fuel/power:
filling tank to brim reads about 750km to go when on highway (tdi would say 1000+)
tsi kicks down where the tdi would just lope uphill in 6th at 1500rpm and 100kmh
Maybe you should have bought a vRS TDI instead ?

I prefer the smooth reviness and very broad powerband of the turbo petrol engine, and the higher fuel consumption is just the price of admission. The elastic push from 2,000 rpm through to 6,000 rpm is somewhat addictive and most enjoyable.

Guy_H
22-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Having one of each of these, the biggest bonus of the Skoda is the really cool Skoda grill on the front. VW will never be able to match that :)

woofy
22-10-2009, 07:13 PM
some more :)

no red led downlighting or accent lighting eg door handles
no map reading spots!
no vanity mirror lighting

***This has been gone in most euros for a while now, it autolocks when you lock the car, there is no need for the switch anymore.

center not door mounted central locking switch

*** some makers do this so the passenger can control it, I noticed the Audi A3 I hired this week has it on the door in an awkard spot, probably where you were used to it.

rear window switches moved up and forward (out of childs reach)

***no accident, this is a family car, and the driver can always control them including auto up/down on all windows which I love.

windscreen washer pump not as strong (see next)
when stationary, window wash goes over car. but on highway it goes too low!

***Never had this problem, maybe you need to adjust them.

wipers don't do single "drip cleaning" wipe after off

***Mine did this out of the showroom, maybe yours was played with?

***Same as above

climate is dual zone vs mk v single zone.
glovebox is not lockable

I wonder what other subtle corners have been cut vs Vw.

and more on fuel/power:

I like the fogs, makes up for low beam on the ugly night pacific highway, by widening the light cone a lot!
the corner (fog) lighting on turns actually is useful at night. I like it. most of the results of a fancy corner following headlight system at a fraction of the engineering.

See above.............

nyc863
28-10-2009, 03:20 PM
well after some more time..

the map spots are there but not "spots" they cast a big cone of light, probably the lens is cheaper than golf

follow me home lights are more sophisticated (perhaps too much) not activating if there is ambient light and not if your lights are not set to auto..

I could enable auto lock with maxidot

no key in ignition chiming like vw, unless lights are on(?)

no auto-dimming side mirrors (just main rear vision mirror)

12v outlet provides power all the time so I suppose leaving a device in it could run the battery down over a long time? vw switched it off.

no booming resonance with just rear window open as golf did

a couple of build problems: passenger seatbelt slot missing rubberized cover over metal anchor, and dash board strip below windscreen doesn't fit right at one end..

accessories:
wagon spoiler: not worth it
rubber "dish" trunk mat: good!
rear umbrella container: good
mfd iPod: ok, a bit slow and clunky
sunroof: too small, not worth it
leather: good
cornering fogs: good

style: with body colored door handles, window surround, bump strips, and basically everything .. you better like your choice of color! it is visible everywhere even inside the car (around the rear door frames!)

so far, 1200kms down, brakes are quiet, everything feels solid. exhaust is silent or makes a distant fluttering sound on boost.

regarding the steering shift paddles: I find them awkward to reach, the right one has little space for the fingers and both are mounted inward quite a lot. Over the first 20+ hours I just didn't feel any need to use them.