PDA

View Full Version : Elf & Motul Oil.

DIDZ
09-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Hi All,

What is your opinion on the below oils? Has anyone used it?? I am interested in the eLF material.

I run Shell Helix Ultra at the moment and never have had an issue with it in comparison to Mobil 1 and Castrol (urgh!).

elf Excellium GP 5W-40

Motul-300V POWER RACING 2L

Motul-4100 TURBOLIGHT 5L

0W-40 5 Litre Bottle

MOTUL's best-selling engine oil in Europe,
4100 TURBO LIGHT 10W-40 is a multi-lubricant suitable for gas, diesel engines, leaded, unleaded and diesel oil and liquified gas. 4100 TURBOLIGHT improves cold-start-ups and protects the engine
all year round. Approved by VW, Rover,
Mercedes Benz and BMW.

SPECIFICATIONS

Product 4100 TURBOLIGHT

Feature Semi-synthetic. Anti-deposit, anti-sludge, keeps engines clean.
Ensures easier start-ups.

SAE/DOT Standard 10W-40

Specification API SL/CF & ACEA A3/B3

Maker's Approval VW505.00-VW500.00 quality & MB229.1

Compatibility All gasoline and diesel engines, turbo and naturally aspirated engines.

gpk_gti
10-02-2007, 09:08 PM
any idea who stocks it??? im running mobil1 atm.change every 5k and filter every 10k.

mikinoz
11-02-2007, 07:37 AM
I use elf in my Hillman Imp - 5W-40 synthetic and trust it.

Motul is sold by Revolution and Autobarn from memory. I have used it before and cannot say that there is any reson to doubt it.

DIDZ
11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
George,

I've used Mobil 1 and didn't really like it at all, I felt it held back the car more than anything else.

I started using Shell Helix Ultra in my other car and found that when it was time for change, the oil would come out cleaner and cleaner......

Tried the Castrol Stuff, that stuff reminded me of engine abortion fluid.. urghh.

http://www.shiftperformance.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=332&category_id=63&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=6

Store is not far from where I work - the Motul stuff is VW approved, so can't be that bad..

gpk_gti
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
so which one have you found better?? the helix or the motul.the motul seems to cater ore for race/high performance.coming up for oils so might lokk at what your saying... also ive heard alot of bad reports with shell fuels lately,,turning oils black quicker.my bro inlaw used mobil 1 on his skyline with shell optimax and found the oil always black.stopped using optimax and oil was better between changes??? heard about this??:confused:

DIDZ
11-02-2007, 06:21 PM
I haven't tried the motul yet (just did first oil change on the GTI just after Christmas).

I wouldn't be able to say whether the Shell actually goes darker, because when I changed the oil, it was black as all buggery :mad:

Was looking at another oil like Elf and Motul, whether anyone has liked them.

Had a look at a couple of other forums, and some of the Nissan Silvia guys seem to like the Elf, and I haven't heard anyone say anything about the Motul stuff either that would sway me away from both.

Will be trying another oil for my next change in another 2000km (which might be another couple of months since I don't rack up kms.

WEDEL.1
14-02-2007, 06:22 PM
any idea who stocks it??? im running mobil1 atm.change every 5k and filter every 10k.

I would rather change the filter every 5k & the oil every 10K, especially if using a "full" synthetic oil.

Maris