PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had their Tig dyno'd?

Pullstarter
19-10-2009, 08:14 PM
Hey all,
Was just wondering if anyone has had their Tig dyno'd? If so, you would have to use an awd dyno but would the 4motion system give you funky readings because of the torque transfer etc?

Cheers
Simon

clip
19-10-2009, 08:22 PM
you would have to use an awd dyno
There's one in Melbourne somewhere that can do them.

Arctra
19-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm seriously considering getting my Tig Dyno'ed at the Sydney Dyno day Fuzion has organised. Will be interesting to see the results and whether the AWD makes a difference.

Sharkie
20-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Actually you don't need an AWD dyno for the Tiguan. Pull a fuse out (or unclip a connection) and its FWD only ..... thats the benefit of the 4Motion system since its only a "make believe" AWD ....

Guy knows which one .... so some info here Guy please .... :cool:

I believe running on a AWD dyno will only confuse the dyno as the drive to all 4 wheels is not constant or the same.

team_v
20-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Actually you don't need an AWD dyno for the Tiguan. Pull a fuse out (or unclip a connection) and its FWD only ..... thats the benefit of the 4Motion system since its only a "make believe" AWD ....

Guy knows which one .... so some info here Guy please .... :cool:

I believe running on a AWD dyno will only confuse the dyno as the drive to all 4 wheels is not constant or the same.

I would be wary about that.
I believe there was a fuse-remove on an S3 and it was linked to a few other vital parts which made the car not work.

Would be okay if the fuse is only used for the 4-Motion control.

Sharkie
20-10-2009, 08:36 AM
I would be wary about that.
I believe there was a fuse-remove on an S3 and it was linked to a few other vital parts which made the car not work.

Would be okay if the fuse is only used for the 4-Motion control.

The Tiguan's that APR did their development work on (including clip's) all were running on a FWD dyno only .......

Maybe Guy can post clip's dyno results up for us to see ......

team_v
20-10-2009, 08:42 AM
The Tiguan's that APR did their development work on (including clip's) all were running on a FWD dyno only .......

Maybe Guy can post clip's dyno results up for us to see ......

Okay, sounds like it should be fine.

I was just warning incase any DIY'ers try it and then manage to destroy something in the process.

I would check with Guy and your owners manual before doing anything like that first.

Guy_H
20-10-2009, 08:54 AM
For Dyno testing it's fine to unplug the Haldex unit converting it to FWD.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no fuse to pull on these cars, but unplugging it is a 2 minute job under the car.

You need to clear fault codes after unplugging it.

Saves any of the dyno associated kick in / out of the AWD system.

Pullstarter
20-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Only problem is if it throws codes will I be able to drive it to my mechanic to clear them after (no idea if the dyno place would have vagcom) or will it just not go?

Transporter
20-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Only problem is if it throws codes will I be able to drive it to my mechanic to clear them after (no idea if the dyno place would have vagcom) or will it just not go?

You will be able to.

clip
20-10-2009, 06:56 PM
..... thats the benefit of the 4Motion system since its only a "make believe" AWD ....
So "theoretically" I could completely remove the rear drive system and just run it as FWD (like the yankie version?). I wonder how much weight saving that amount to? But then I'd be stuck with a bloody front wheel drive :x. Pity I can't do the reverse!

Sharkie
21-10-2009, 07:40 AM
So "theoretically" I could completely remove the rear drive system and just run it as FWD (like the yankie version?). I wonder how much weight saving that amount to? But then I'd be stuck with a bloody front wheel drive :x. Pity I can't do the reverse!

Yep, save about 200kg there ...... but then you'd be right there where the problems start ... too much power and FWD ..... pretty useless when you need it .... there is no such thing as AWD and too much power :bowdown: Its the reason your Tig will see off any chipped GTI off the line, even with the short 1st and 2nd gears .... :bowdown:

Also, agree, pity no RWD option .... :brutal:

Transfer
21-10-2009, 02:27 PM
From the U.S. with FWD 2.0T (147kw) and APR stage 1:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4149297
(not mine by the way)

Guy_H
21-10-2009, 03:42 PM

It will go fine, just annoying lights on the dash :mad:

clip
21-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Yep, save about 200kg there ......
wow- 200kg that's a lot! Would be nice to shave that amount off.

Pullstarter
21-10-2009, 08:50 PM
It will go fine, just annoying lights on the dash :mad:

Thanks Guy, was a bit worried that I may have trouble driving it from my mechanics to the dyno and then back again with the Haldex disconnected. Disconnecting is not a big job then? Just a plug somewhere?

clip
21-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Just a plug somewhere?
Simon, have a look under the left hand side of the diff. You can see it clearly with the harness plugging in.

Pullstarter
21-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Simon, have a look under the left hand side of the diff. You can see it clearly with the harness plugging in.

Rear diff?

Guy_H
22-10-2009, 09:23 AM
Yep - simple job once you are under there, just remove the plug (normal VW type electrical connector)

Transporter
22-10-2009, 09:42 AM
It is always safer to unplug it with the ignition "OFF" and the same for reconnecting it. :)

Swallowtail
22-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Yep - simple job once you are under there, just remove the plug (normal VW type electrical connector)

Is the R36 the same? I could convert it into a 220KW FWD monster! Just like the TRD Aurion LOL... but with a lot more class.

Pullstarter
22-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the help guys much appreciated :)

Guy_H
22-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Is the R36 the same? I could convert it into a 220KW FWD monster! Just like the TRD Aurion LOL... but with a lot more class.

Sure is - actually I forget to tell all the Passat People that the new Haldex performance units are available now :duh:

http://www.goapr.com.au/products/haldex.html