PDA

View Full Version : H&R springs heights

clip
19-10-2009, 06:15 PM
I could have sworn there was a thread about these somewhere - just can't find it. Anyway, could I possibly ask those of you that have them to post your new ride heights? Mine has dropped substantially since I fitted them 2 weeks ago. Not that I know how much (didn't measure them then did I :( ), but it's now very noticeable.

I measured mine with the car parked on level concrete from the floor through the centre of the wheel to the bottom of the wheel arch. Thanks fellas.

Pullstarter
19-10-2009, 08:09 PM
About 3rd post down John;

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=30212&page=16

This pic was a good few months after the springs were fitted (near bottom of page);

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=26854&page=3

clip
20-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks Simon, I knew it was somewhere. But could I trouble you (or anyone else) for the actual measurement. Mine seems to have dropped heaps. I'm measuring about 167mm at the front and 170 at the rear. I reckon it's dropped a good 10-15mm since fitted. Be interesting to compare vehicles with same springs.

Must say it's the best mod I've done too (other than the remap - but that goes without saying huh!).

Pullstarter
21-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Where are you measuring from to? I'll get the measure out tomorrow arvo if i get time. I reckon mine probably settled around a further 10mm-ish after a few weeks or so.

clip
21-10-2009, 09:19 PM
Where are you measuring from to? I'll get the measure out tomorrow arvo if i get time. I reckon mine probably settled around a further 10mm-ish after a few weeks or so.
thanks Simon, I measured mine from the ground (on level concrete) through the centre of the wheel and took the measurement at the start of the wheel arch.

Pullstarter
21-10-2009, 09:25 PM
thanks Simon, I measured mine from the ground (on level concrete) through the centre of the wheel and took the measurement at the start of the wheel arch.

So your measurement was 167mm from the concrete to the wheel arch?? :confused:

clip
22-10-2009, 07:25 PM
So your measurement was 167mm from the concrete to the wheel arch?? :confused:

:ohboy: it should have read 720 and 723 - don't ask :rolleyes:

Pullstarter
22-10-2009, 10:14 PM
:ohboy: it should have read 720 and 723 - don't ask :rolleyes:

Hehe no probs, will measure up tomorrow arv if I get time, got to mow the jungle out back first :mad:

clip
23-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Hehe no probs, will measure up tomorrow arv if I get time, got to mow the jungle out back first :mad:
thanks mate

Tigga1
28-10-2009, 02:22 PM
to all those who have lowered their Tigs, can you please give some more detail about the ride and cornering changes...?

I've previously lowered a Golf with H&R springs and struts, but found the overall effect a touch to stiff.

In just changing springs, is there a need to change struts, or are OEM struts capable enough?

Has anyone fitted the Haldex upgrade yet, I'm guessing this would make it almost complete!

thanks in advance
Tigga

Pullstarter
28-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Plenty of info on the H&Rs here;

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=29946&highlight=tig+build&page=3

No need to change struts the stockers are a good quality item. I find the H&Rs excellent overall, not too stiff at all and the steering is MUCH improved as is overall stability and cornering ability.

clip
28-10-2009, 07:31 PM
to all those who have lowered their Tigs, can you please give some more detail about the ride and cornering changes...?
Overall, I would have to say that the ride is better than the stock setup. It is firmer after a point, but the suspension seems to work better. It definitely corners flatter - as I expected - but the ride quality over minor bumps also seems to be improved (bigger bumps are noticed more though).

The issue with fitting springs, that lower the sus height, is that you are taking whatever the difference is that results from the lowering (e.g. 35mm) off the travel of the shocky. Shocks are progressive, so you are now literally starting from a more compressed and firmer point. But this does not seem to be an issue for the Tig (and it's not that extreme anyway), and as the H&R springs that I have fitted, are a progressive rate spring (unlike the stock ones) the whole system seems to work better IMO.

To be honest, I noticed a bigger difference going from the 16" wheels to 19" wheels than I did with the lowered springs. Not sure what wheels you have fitted Tigga, but the fact that I now have the 19" AND the lowered springs, there is a big difference in ride and handling.

To put it into a real world example, my current Tig setup is now quicker through most corners than the MX5 (as long as I don't have to change direction too quickly) - and that's saying a lot IMO.

But if you don't want to lose the very comfortable but still well controlled ride of a stock Tig, then I would perhaps think twice. But if you want a more controlled drive that is quite outstanding for an SUV - in fact for any car, then the springs are a great addition for very little money.

Sorry for the long winded reply too :emo_baghead:

Sharkie
28-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Mmmm ... that reply (as long as it was:P) makes me want to get around to having my springs fitted ASAP ......

Still enjoying the recently added extra power and grip so much (went for a quick drive after I got home) that I'm in no real hurry though :cool:. I remember thinking how particularly well everything I've done so far works together.

None of it feels like an add-on (I have had that feeling before on other cars :rolleyes:), everything feels as if this is the way it should have been from the factory .....

Tigga1
28-10-2009, 08:55 PM
ok, so here's what I got so far:

changed std tyres to Pirellis somethingorother (and I'm happy with them BTW)...

added adjustable rear Neuspeed s/bar with links (currently at maximum setting)

Torque arm insert (supplied at no cost by Guy Harding & Co (thanks Guy!)

my wishlist:

Haldex upgrade
APR Stg I
18" wheels (35 offset)
235/50 Kumho's or equivalent...and possibly
H&R springs for flatter handling

the first 2 would have been done on my last trip to GC, but for the Haldex being the wrong part and my particular ECU not having been APR'd...
both these have since been rectified, but unfortunately I'm not at the GC at the moment...and not likely to be back till mid 2010.

guess I'm just keen to do something (Guy, any fishing trips planned to FNQ...?!) so looking for opinions/advice

Pullstarter, clip, Sharkie, as you are the main movers in this regard, all your advice and posts are greatly appreciated!

cheers
Tigga

Pullstarter
28-10-2009, 09:13 PM
How do you find the Neuspeed rear sway bar Tigga? I'm seriously considering this for my next upgrade. Did you notice much of a difference? It made a HUGE difference on my VR6 but being FWD you would expect that, maybe not quite such an improvement on an AWD?

clip
28-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I remember thinking how particularly well everything I've done so far works together.
agree 100% sharkie, that's exactly how I feel. Everything I've done seems to work so well that it doesn't feel modded at all - just feels like a very sharp package that works on many levels.

Tigga1
29-10-2009, 03:08 PM
How do you find the Neuspeed rear sway bar Tigga? I'm seriously considering this for my next upgrade. Did you notice much of a difference? It made a HUGE difference on my VR6 but being FWD you would expect that, maybe not quite such an improvement on an AWD?

I've had a rear sway bar on my last 3 cars, Liberty, Forester, Golf.
With the Liberty, and even though it was a Whiteline bar, the biggest difference was when I took it off prior to selling!

Had both front and rear on Forester (whiteline) and Golf (H&R adjustable), but just the rear on the Tig.
Because I drive down (and up) a range to work every day, I wanted to lower the body roll. It's a noticable, but not huge, improvement and that's why I'm curious about the H&R springs.

I’m hoping that together with the springs I will be in Tig heaven…

cheers

Pullstarter
29-10-2009, 08:55 PM
I reckon the two would be a good mating. The thing I noticed the most with Neuspeed bar on the VR6 was how much more steering I had, most of the understeer disappeared. Did you notice much of an improvement here? e.g. less understeer?

Tigga1
30-10-2009, 08:35 AM
I reckon the two would be a good mating. The thing I noticed the most with Neuspeed bar on the VR6 was how much more steering I had, most of the understeer disappeared. Did you notice much of an improvement here? e.g. less understeer?

Yes, forgot to mention that. In all the cars it made a big change, much more neutral handling

Tigga1
30-10-2009, 03:35 PM
where did you guys get the H&Rs and what did you pay for them?

not in a rush, so doesn't really matter where they come from, but a good price is very welcome...

are they difficult to install?

clip
30-10-2009, 07:02 PM
where did you guys get the H&Rs and what did you pay for them?
I got mine through GTi Dave on the forum here. Delivered via courier to the door in a few days. Under $400 from memory - had an October sale (better hurry!).

Pullstarter
30-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Also will add big props for GTI Dave, good service and good price. Mine were about $460 delivered to my door IIRC but the exchange rate at the time was total poop so should be cheaper now.

Pullstarter
07-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Just got around to doing measurements, sorry John I've been lazy :P

From the ground up through the centreline of the wheel to the edge of the wheel arch trim is 735mm on the front and 745mm on the rear. See crappy diagram below :banana:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/11/springheightmeasurement1-2.jpg

clip
07-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Just got around to doing measurements, sorry John I've been lazy :P

From the ground up through the centreline of the wheel to the edge of the wheel arch trim is 735mm on the front and 745mm on the rear.
thanks mate. Interesting. Mine are now just under 725 on the front and 726 on the rear - call it 725 front and rear I guess.

pics of the old Tig, and then after H&R's fitted (no, the new pic is not stretched - although it looks it, must be an optical illusion).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

and the new:
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/tgside.jpg

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/tgfront.jpg

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/tgrearside.jpg

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/tgfrsd.jpg

http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/wheel1.jpg

team_v
07-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Lovely work Clip.

Those are the first pictures i have seen of your ride.
Love the Wheels.

Pullstarter
07-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Looking good John! Why is yours lower than mine? Hardly seems fair!! :P

Give us some shots of how your wheels sit in relation to the guards, wanna see poke!! :bowdown:

clip
07-11-2009, 06:07 PM
Why is yours lower than mine? Hardly seems fair!! :P
because I'm special :evillaugh:

clip
07-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Give us some shots of how your wheels sit in relation to the guards, wanna see poke!!
there aint no poke, they sit nice tight inside the guards just like they should (where did you find those spacers again?).

But I'll try and take some more shots just because I'm feeling for you at the moment (guess you could try some sand bags to drop the height a bit more :badhair: )

clip
07-11-2009, 06:40 PM
sorry about the quality, it's dark outside now. If you want some more shots, I'll grab them tomorrow

Front looking down:
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/fronttyre2.jpg

Front looking back
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/fronttyre.jpg

Rear looking forward:
http://members.westnet.com.au/jsturn/reartyre.jpg

Pullstarter
07-11-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks John that's a sweet stance! Now should I get 18"s or 19"s :confused:

I got the spacers off US ebay, there's heaps of them on there. You should be able to get them for between US$70 and about US$120 shipped per pair depending on brand and width etc. Looking at your wheels though I don't think I'd bother, looks schmick as eh bro :cool:

team_v
07-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks John that's a sweet stance! Now should I get 18"s or 19"s :confused:

I'm having the same problem lol.
The cost of tyres for 19's is quite a step up from the 18's so if money is an issue i would go 18's.

The 19's however do fill out the guards slightly more and make it look nicer, however might be detrimental to ride quality.

The VMR line has some sweet 18's and 19's though.

Pullstarter
07-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah i've been looking at VMR, Miro and Hartmann wheels. All very nice but only available from the US of course :mad:

team_v
07-11-2009, 07:14 PM
Yeah i've been looking at VMR, Miro and Hartmann wheels. All very nice but only available from the US of course :mad:

VMR will ship to Australia, there are a few guys on here that have got them.
Miro are available on ebay and ship to Australia.

Hartman are okay but i prefer VMR.

cubes
11-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Just got my H&R springs today from the post office anyway I opened the box for look and noticed they were a metalic gunmetal grey color, is that the colr everyone else has or do they also come in black which I thought I had seen elswhere on this forum ?

clip
11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Just got my H&R springs today from the post office anyway I opened the box for look and noticed they were a metalic gunmetal grey color, is that the colr everyone else has or do they also come in black which I thought I had seen elswhere on this forum ?
mine are black, cubes.

I can check the part number for you if you are worried.

cubes
11-11-2009, 08:26 PM
My PN is #29274-4 and Tiguan is marked next to it on the sticker on the H&R box .

Talking to a WRX guy about H&R springs hr had on his subaru and he mentioned something about different spring rates coinciding with the colors and the designated markets, i.e black for Aus spec and Grey for the US market not sure about that though

clip
11-11-2009, 08:47 PM
, i.e black for Aus spec and Grey for the US market not sure about that though
:eek::eek::eek: I hope not, knowing the yanks, they'll be as soft as all hell! I'll go and see if I can find my part number...

clip
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Part number as printed on box:

MIT ABE
29274-2
Black metal Powder coated
FA 29274-2VA (F)
RA 29274-2HA (R)
TYPE - IT/5N

cubes
11-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Just checked the Pn#s and they check out, the gun metal grey now looks black but with a distinct metallic fleck in the paint.

clip
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Just checked the Pn#s and they check out, the gun metal grey now looks black but with a distinct metallic fleck in the paint.
phew! all's good then :banana: get 'em fitted up and post some pics!

cubes
11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Going to hunt around for an installer tomorrow, hopefully Advantage Suspension down here in Melbourne will be able to do them on short notice.

clip
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Going to hunt around for an installer tomorrow, hopefully Advantage Suspension down here in Melbourne will be able to do them on short notice.
just make sure you get someone that does a real wheel alignment.

cubes
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
That would be these guys, definitely in the top ten Vic suspension installers, that's all they do.

cubes
13-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Job well done done thanks to Advantage Suspension in Moorabbin who did the job properly with a proper four wheel alignment, very happy to put in a plug for them, they have done heaps of Golfs and Passats amongst other cars.
Ride doesn't feel compromised at all but that might be because I am already riding on low profile tyres and used to a firm ride not to mention I am coming from a 98 WRX with Koni adjustable sports with progressive kings springs(which while firm was quite smooth on the scuby). A bit of road feedback didn't hurt nobody, still eats up those big traffic island speed humps or whatever they are called.

Captain Bungers
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Thought I might dig this thread up from the past to mention that I just got my H&R's installed and am very pleased with the result. Drove home along a bumpy, twisty road this arvo and the Tig felt sure footed, if not more comfortable. It was definitely less jittery over the rough stuff as well.

Captain Bungers
09-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Before:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_HWts4CYNTlA/TZ9-Dx22kRI/AAAAAAAAAC4/xOX1tHUUDk4/s800/DSC_0442.jpg

After:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_HWts4CYNTlA/TZ990iVYPPI/AAAAAAAAACo/_bkOV0kCnvA/s800/DSC_0486.jpg

I think you can tell the difference...

Captain Bungers
09-04-2011, 11:00 PM
I think you can tell the difference...

I can't...

jcubed
10-04-2011, 03:49 AM
I can't...

The new springs make the sun shine brighter:confused:?

Captain Bungers
10-04-2011, 07:38 AM
Yeah, I reckon. It is noticeable, it is just hard to get a decent camera angle that shows it...

Pullstarter
10-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Tyre to wheel arch gap is the most noticable aspect. It isn't a huge drop with these but the handling improvement is pretty large IMO.

MGV
10-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Jimbo's lifted his, a few of you have lowered yours... Reckon i will go with a very complicated compromise & leave mine stock! :-)
Would a swaybar be a worthy heandling/cornering addition without the spring upgrade?
Cheers, Matt.

Tigga1
11-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Reckon i will go with a very complicated compromise & leave mine stock! :-)
Would a swaybar be a worthy heandling/cornering addition without the spring upgrade?

Hi Matt
have added a adjustable h/d whiteline solid rear sway bar and anti lift kit, great improvement on cornerning and toe in. Also notice front tyres are wearing much more evenly.
currently sway bar is on softest setting, will be going to mid setting this week.
hope this helps (-:

99Reza
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Hi Matt
have added a adjustable h/d whiteline solid rear sway bar and anti lift kit, great improvement on cornerning and toe in. Also notice front tyres are wearing much more evenly.
currently sway bar is on softest setting, will be going to mid setting this week.
hope this helps (-:

Any noticeable differences in regard to the NVH after Swaybar and ALK??

Tigga1
11-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Any noticeable differences in regard to the NVH after Swaybar and ALK??
no, none whatsoever...
mind you, Tig is riding on 18's with Kumho tyres, great combo all around. Tyres are quiet, and grippy in both dry and wet...(-: