PDA

View Full Version : NSW Stolen plates - GTI18Q

russ83
18-10-2009, 08:12 AM
Not sure how this will help, but you may know who knocked off my number plates last night.

Ill ask no questions if they are handed in to police.

Thanks.

goodfella
18-10-2009, 08:43 AM
I heard a myth that if personalized plates are stolen or used illegally on a different car, then the RTA could elect to cancel the plate completely, leaving you with no option but get new /standard plates.

The basis is that the plates could then be used in a crime and witness accounts may render useless in catching the crims.

I also have desirable personalized number plates, so keep us informed how you get on.

PS you can get them restamped for $30, but still I understand your frustration.

neil
18-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Might be worth investing in the new anti theft number plate screws the police
were sprouking about a few weeks backs.

How do you spell sprouking ? spruking ??

goodfella
18-10-2009, 08:56 AM
was also considering torx screws for the plates

russ83
18-10-2009, 10:51 AM
I heard a myth that if personalized plates are stolen or used illegally on a different car, then the RTA could elect to cancel the plate completely, leaving you with no option but get new /standard plates.

The basis is that the plates could then be used in a crime and witness accounts may render useless in catching the crims.

I also have desirable personalized number plates, so keep us informed how you get on.

will let you know how i get on.

yeah i heard that also, i hope i get em back or that the rta cancels them.

its a pain in the rear, cos i put my car up for sale on wednesday, someone was coming this morning to see it, so had to cancel cos i couldnt drive it anywhere :mad:

Do u think i was carsales stalked?

Silver dub
18-10-2009, 06:39 PM
It sounds a bit sus that you just put it up for sale and you had someone ready to look at it, then all of a sudden your plates go missing. Where abouts did you have it parked?

mikinoz
18-10-2009, 06:45 PM
With all respect, they are ok plates, but not ones that thieves would consider really. GTI-18T maybe more desirable...

Just trying to dispel the conspiracy theory. There are heaps of places stolen lately.

How do you spell sprouking ? spruking ??

spruiking ;)

G-rig
18-10-2009, 06:52 PM
It sounds a bit sus that you just put it up for sale and you had someone ready to look at it, then all of a sudden your plates go missing. Where abouts did you have it parked?

Even if they did take them they couldn't register their own car so what's the point?

Silver dub
18-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Could be used in a robbery or to steal fuel. My dad had his plates stolen of his audi and they were never found, the RTA ended up canceling them and they can never be re issued again even if they are found.

harrip
18-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Could be used in a robbery or to steal fuel.

If you were going to steel plates would you not steel ones that are less memorable or less likely to draw attention to you?

russ83
18-10-2009, 07:37 PM
i was thinking this also, why wouldnt they steal a standard black on yellow plate, there were plenty parked around me.

car was on the street in front of my place.

it boggles. nevertheless, getting new normal plates tomorrow.

madglf3
19-10-2009, 12:25 PM
If they too have a black Polo then it'd make sense to get a plate off another black polo.

I'd just report it and hope that nothing more happens. I've heard that you might get pulled over a bit more often due to police making sure the plates belong to you. Can't avoid that unless you change plates I suppose. Good luck with it all.

GTom
19-10-2009, 05:27 PM

Once the plates are listed as stolen the RTA won't (shouldn't), even if they are yours, re-register or re-make the plate

If you get them re-made (which won't happen) you'll be getting pulled over by the cops everytime you pass them. Most of their vehicles are now equipped with number plate reading technology which scans the rego plate and then processes the plates through various databases for example when the registration expires, stolen plates or wanted vehicles etc etc..

bujna
21-10-2009, 06:43 AM
If you were going to steel plates would you not steel ones that are less memorable or less likely to draw attention to you?

Don't give the crims too much credit...There are lots of worlds stupidist criminals shows around :-)

leasaunce
21-10-2009, 08:32 AM
from my understanding, thives target a particular plate for their getaway car, eg; let say they have a 06 polo gti, they will take another 06 polo gti plate#. So that way when the police do a random plate check it wont be so suss.