PDA

View Full Version : octavia crash testing

nyc863
16-10-2009, 02:35 PM
So I was reading the latest review http://www.caradvice.com.au/43355/skoda-octavia-rs-review-road-test/ of the RS in the caradvice website and a comment caught my eye

"The only thing that puts me off is the 4star crash test (despite the reviewers claims re saftey above). 4 stars was fine 5 years ago but now korean and australian entry level cheapies come with 5 star protection it is a bit under-done. The manufacture claims that curtain airbags would lead to 5 star are curious given that the tested car (without curtains) achieved full marks in side-impacts and it was the frontal crash that scored 10/16. It simply needs a stronger saftey cell to mix it with newer competition."

I dug up the euro ncap crash test
http://www.euroncap.com/tests/skoda_octavia_2004/206.aspx
for the pre facelifted model and don't see a comment about poor safety cell, or poor frontal impact, so wondering what crash tests are out there that hint at less than contemporary strength in a crash?

woofy
16-10-2009, 03:13 PM
This one i guess http://www.howsafeisyourcar.com.au/_scripts/ancap_summary_result.php?IID=208

woofy
16-10-2009, 03:18 PM
Although the rating was recently changed, so what were 5 star cars are now 4 stars...if you look at the current falcon its only 4 stars...so I think they are getting mixed up between the old and new rating systems.

nyc863
16-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I might be wrong but it looks a lot like that site is taking the Euro ncap report and re-evaluating it. The picture is the same, the comments about the drivers knees getting injured by lower dash are the same. Pedestrian rating is the same.

So I think the comment in the caradvice blog are mis-information, and the points lost in the "offset frontal crash test" are lost due to possible leg injuries from striking lower dash materials rather than any problem with the "safety cell" of the car.

In addition this is for the 2004 Octavia 1.6

Not saying the RS would be any better, but it is funny how one can mislead with a few casual remarks.

woofy
17-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Exactly, nice to know those safety people like to test things in person. It's pretty much all rehashed.

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
22-10-2009, 12:57 PM
To the best of my knowledge guys the new Octavia has not been tested. It now shares the same chassis that the Yeti does and the Golf 5/6 range. The Yeti blitzed the euroncap when it was done recently so i can't see why the new Octavia wouldn't be in the same position.
The euroncap and the ancap both place their crash test info on a 2004 vehicle which was the old mark 4 golf platform (4 metres of laser weld) as apposed to the new generation platform (128 meteres of laser weld).
Being very new to the brand and still finding my feet I could be way off the mark here but that could explain the poor 4 star score, outdated info??

woofy
22-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure if the 2004 model tested was the same as the version sold last year, but the original RS sold here were based on the Mark V Golf, as far as I am aware the facelifted ones are still the same chassis...so no change really....if I recall right, the last major Octavia update was in 2006....so yes the results shown may be for the wrong car altogether.

Sales @ Mentone Skoda
23-10-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks woofy as i have said many times i am new to the brand so i am still finding my feet and unfortunately i have to rely on information from those around me that may not be 100% and hence the reason i am on here posting trying to get raise my level of knowledge

I'll do some more investigating on this and see what i can turn up, you maybe 100% spot on but the thought would make me cringe. As you know the safety of the car is more in the chassis
Not to mention how my job then becomes a million times more difficult trying to convince someone (not that i would becuase i would look stupid) that 4 stars is okay for a sub premium product and price

Bayford Skoda
23-10-2009, 10:12 AM
All the current Octavia's including pre facelift use the Mk 5 platform shared with the VW Golf, Jetta, Passat etc. Its a platform thats used quite widely through out the VAG and Skoda group. Further to this both pre face lift and the current facelifted Octavia's are constructed using seamless laser welding.

The reason why the Octavia didnt score a 5 stars as it was only tested with 4 airbags. All of our cars come standard with 6 airbags so it should acheive a 5 star safety rating.

Thats the low down...

4thchicken
23-10-2009, 10:19 AM
The reason why the Octavia didnt score a 5 stars as it was only tested with 4 airbags. All of our cars come standard with 6 airbags so it should acheive a 5 star safety rating.

Thats the low down...

Has skoda australia sent an aust. spec octavia off to crash testing? - and if not, why not?

Given the number of criticisms that I've read about the 4 star safety rating (car reviews+readers comments), I'm surprised that more hasnt been done by skoda to change upgrade the rating. Cant imagine it costing that much (ie a couple octavias) and it would undoubtably help to increase sales.

K1W1
23-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Cant imagine it costing that much (ie a couple octavias) and it would undoubtably help to increase sales.

A couple of Octavias and all the associated testing costs? I guess you wouldn't get much change from $90,000 if you in fact didn't have to spend more.

4thchicken
23-10-2009, 02:38 PM
no idea on the cost of testing - but surely 100k wouldnt be too much to spend on getting a 5 star safety rating given it would get a lot more people interested in sales.

Imo, you wont convince too many people to buy an octavia by telling them that the ANCAP ratings are based on a 2004 model octavia which didnt have side curtain airbags.

100k, 200k - skoda would easily spend more than that on print/TV advertising - having a 5 star safety rating is pretty good advertising for a new car nowadays imo

woofy
23-10-2009, 03:39 PM
There really isn't any excuse at all for not testing something more recent in 5 years, especially when Skoda was being launched in Oz, the first thing should have been Skoda HQ getting more up to date info. It's one thing to say curtain airbags would have made it 5 star, but until they do a restest with the current specs, that means nothing.

With all the govt advertising at the moment, and the sub par data that is on the "howsafeisyourcar" for Skoda it looks like VAG aren't seriously trying.