PDA

View Full Version : Golf GTI Mark VI Specifications and Prices

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Maverick
15-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Volkswagen Golf GTI Mark VI Prices and Specifications Australia MY10 (http://www.my-gti.com/1588/)

Full info online now.

Edit on 6th August 2010 by coreying
Here is a link to the official Volkswagen GTI page on their site (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/master_public/virtualmaster/en_au/New_Cars/Golf_Index/Golf/trim_lines/new_Golf_GTI.html)
A direct link to the GTI Brochure PDF current as of Jan 2010 (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/golf/pricing___specifications.Par.0028.File.pdf/78516_golf_gti_brochure.pdf)
A direct link to the Golf Specifications PDF (including the GTI) current as of June 2010 (http://www.volkswagen.com.au/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/golf/pricing___specifications.Par.0031.File.pdf/golf_brochure_specifications.pdf)

Finally, I've created a Pricing Calculator Spreadsheet which is available here:
Golf GTI Price Calculator Spreadsheet (http://members.iinet.net.au/~coreying/VW/Golf%20GTI%20Price%20Calculator.xls) (Updated on Aug 16 to account for rego changes in NSW on Aug 8)
Please see this post for details on the calculator spreadsheet. (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/golf-gti-mark-vi-specifications-prices-36028-85.html#post544703)

Guy_H
15-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Cool! Good info :toast:

aeon
15-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Nice one, about time some final details came out!

Shame the tinted rear glass is an extra $400 rather than being standard though.

T Go
15-10-2009, 06:15 PM
Finally!
Thats not nearly as expensive as I feared or as people were drumming up here earlier.

*phew*

GTi Crow
15-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Just a note - figures quoted do not include stamp duty which probably varies for each State (DSG 5 door $1,660 for me plus for extras), plus you have Dealer delivery (mine is around $2,500) and registration ($700) to give an on road cost for the vehicle.

Maverick
15-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Full details now available! Prices, options and specifications.

Volkswagen Golf GTI Mark VI Prices and Specifications Australia MY10
(http://www.my-gti.com/1588/)

aeon
16-10-2009, 07:26 AM
Excellent, thanks for that - one interesting thing from the PDF is this bit:

Production of the new Golf GTI commenced with Model Year 2010 production. Forward orders may be subject to model changes scheduled to become effective from calendar week 45, 2009. Model changes will be advised shortly in an upcoming dealer bulletin.

I remember reading on a forum somewhere that the newer GTI's in the UK were getting LED rear lights... I wonder if that would be included further down the track.

Lima
16-10-2009, 08:36 AM
The LEDs from the Worthersee GTI (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/05/21/golf-gti-polo-worthersee-09-concepts.html) would be very nice!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/05/VWGolfGTIWorthersee0902s-1.jpg

Corey_R
16-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I personally hope they never do a MK6 GTI with LED lights, because it will detract from one of the cool things that separates the R from the GTI :)

ricksterrr
16-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Full details now available! Prices, options and specifications.

Volkswagen Golf GTI Mark VI Prices and Specifications Australia MY10
(http://www.my-gti.com/1588/)

Verry nice - thanks, Maverick!

I find it amusing that VW Fans beat VW themselves to the punch when it comes to releasing specs and prices.

sgiles
16-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know, Tornado Red, is that metallic?

Lima
16-10-2009, 09:06 AM
No, it's a flat colour.

It's the same red used on Mk5 GTIs. It's a good red, actually. :cool:

Corey_R
16-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Finally!
Thats not nearly as expensive as I feared or as people were drumming up here earlier.

*phew*
Actually mate, these prices are THE SAME as the ones used in the 'Sticker Shock' thread for that $65k quote, but with a new 18" wheel price. As others have noted. You need to add all of this up, add dealer delivery, add 10% GST to that dealer delivery (GST is already in the rest of the prices quoted), add 33% LCT (Luxury Car Tax) on top that all of that for any amount over $57180, then add stamp duty on top of all of that (yes, you're paying LCT on the GST amount and then stamp duty on the LCT and GST amount!). Stamp duty for NSW is 3% up to $45,000 (i.e. $1350) and then 5% for any amount above $45,000! You then add your registration, CTP and 'premium plates' where applicable.

The only saving which this pricelist has revealed is that the 18" wheels are only a $1200 instead of $2000. So if you wanted the same specs as the $65k quote from the sticker shock thread, you'd now save $1092 due to the correct 18" wheel price.

Lima
16-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I personally hope they never do a MK6 GTI with LED lights, because it will detract from one of the cool things that separates the R from the GTI :)

They have 30kW+ and Haldex for that. :banana:

ricksterrr
16-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Does anyone know, Tornado Red, is that metallic?

Nope, not metallic.

Corey_R
16-10-2009, 09:22 AM
So I'm looking closely at these specs and prices and comparing them to those from the 'regular' Mk6 Golfs. I have some 'concern' over the pricing on the 'entertainment/navigation' options.

The GTI comes standard with the RCD510
The upgrade to the Dynaudio on its own is now only $1300.
On the standard Golf the Dynaudio upgrade cost $1800 as it also included the upgrade to the RCD510, so we can conclude that the RCD510 upgrade value is $500
The upgrade to the RNS510 is still $2500, same as the standard Golf
Why isn't the upgrade to the RNS510 only $2000? We already have the $500 value of the RCD510, and we can't have both options in the car!
Also puzzling is that the upgrade to the "RNS510 with Dynaudio" in the standard Golf (as per the last published pricelist from their site) was $3500, or a premium of $1000 over the RNS510 alone. But in the GTI it's $3800. Why is it an additional $300 in the more expensive car?

Maverick, something doesn't add up here. I'm not doubting your source, I just think that the way the pricing is done around these items is inconsistent with other VW models.

aeon
16-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Another interesting thing from the spec pdf is under "Fuel type (Recommended)" it lists "Premium unleaded 95 RON minimum".

I know that VW recently lowered their fuel requirements, but I thought the GTI remained on 98 RON... from here:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/38849/new-volkswagen-engines-revised-for-95-ron-unleaded/

I wonder if that's just a typo in the pdf...

pologti18t
16-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Anyone notice the 10 spoke BLACK accessory alloy wheels in the Golf GTI VI Summary sheet? They would look nice ona CW GTI

http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/VW_Golf_6_GTI_Specification_Summary_September_2009 .pdf

Gav23
16-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Only black available in Australia is Pearl Black :(

Does anyone know how Pearl Black looks when it ages?

Corey_R
16-10-2009, 12:44 PM
I would presume that the Pearl Black on the Mk6 is the same Pearl Black used on the Mk5. So just look at an early Mk5 GTI to answer your question :)

Lima
16-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Only black available in Australia is Pearl Black :(

Does anyone know how Pearl Black looks when it ages?

Dirty, just like any other black. :banana:

Lima
16-10-2009, 01:05 PM
Anyone notice the 10 spoke BLACK accessory alloy wheels in the Golf GTI VI Summary sheet? They would look nice ona CW GTI

http://www.my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/VW_Golf_6_GTI_Specification_Summary_September_2009 .pdf

Ooh, they do look nice. I think we have seen them before too (http://www.ausringers.com/2008/06/18/2008-volkswagen-scirocco-gt24-part-1.html)...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/2008SciroccoGT2408s-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/2008SciroccoGT2419s-1.jpg

aeon
19-10-2009, 11:36 PM
So does anyone know when the "Official" launch is meant to be?

Lima
20-10-2009, 07:49 AM
I heard/read 26 October somewhere a while back, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes into early November.

cme2c
20-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Ooh, they do look nice. I think we have seen them before too (http://www.ausringers.com/2008/06/18/2008-volkswagen-scirocco-gt24-part-1.html)...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/2008SciroccoGT2408s-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/2008SciroccoGT2419s-1.jpg

please don't tease. I just want the car they're bolted to:frown:

Hail
20-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I have heard a similar release, end of Oct/Early Nov. Allocated cars should be delivered middle of November as estimated.

sgiles
20-10-2009, 09:58 AM
It says on the official GTI site, that it'll be "released" in November.

lincs
20-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Dirty, just like any other black. :banana:

last week i swore i wouldnt exchange my black mkV for a black VI.. "never again!" i said... then i washed it... and i have second thoughts...

Lima
20-10-2009, 01:13 PM
No denying black cars usually look spectacular when clean.

I had a black Mk4 GTI and swore I'd never have another black car again. Although I'd make an exception for a 356. :cool:

Plopeye
21-10-2009, 01:26 AM
My previous posts:

So I Went back to my VW dealer again today. During the week I drove a civic type R, WRX, MEgane and a clio. I felt as though my first drive in the GTI was better than the other cars but I Wanted a second shot at it.

Anyway I found the salesperson who let me test drive the mk5 gti last week and he was fine with me taking the same car for another drive. I told him I would only be 15 minutes but ended up being 30 - 40 mins. He was fine with it.

Initially the GTI felt slow (probably because I just drove the wrx) and I Was not as impressed as I was when i first drove it. But the longer I drove the vehicle the more I liked it. What it lacks in power (mind you the car has decent power anyway) it easily makes up in class, style and driveability.

I spoke to the salesmanager and I decided to pay a deposit on a mkvi gti. Not much more information was provided but they still expect the RRP of the vi to be approx 1k more than the 5. He worked out a rough price for me taking into consideration the options I prefer and paperwork was filled out to refelct our conversation.

While discussing the options of the vehicle the sales manager stated there will not be an 18inch wheel option and standard will be 17 inch. IMO that is disappointing because I liked the look of the 18s.

Anyway they feel confident they will call me up within 2 weeks to discuss the vehicle and finalize a price / options.

Yesterday I was also told that those people that have asked for a gti with no options are probably the ones that are going to have to wait the longest for their vehicles. He expects the majority of the batch hat is already on shore to be fitting with the non standard options.

Anyway I guess 1 thing is for sure. They are not 100% sure of he sale details at this stage, it is all speculation.

I must add the guys at my local VW store customer service is also fantastic.

do we know for sure there will be little room to move regarding negotiations for the gti? I find it unusual not to be able to negotiate a price for a new car. Ill definately have a crack when my dealer call me in to negotiate a price. It was funny because they acted like they have the sale when I gave my deposit. I did ensure one of the conditions of sale was "agreed pricing".

As mentioned yesterday I went in today (Tuesday) to my dealer to discuss the car I had on deposit. GTI, black, sunroof, DSG, leather, 5 dr.

When I arrived my salesman greeted me and adv me something had come up so he had to leave. He advised me the sales manager of the dealer would deal with me. I have met the sales manager several times because he has assisted the salesman as he is new to the dealer and industry.

So the sales manager told me my car will be available within a few weeks. I advised that is good news and we will see what happens. He then looked puzzled and said "what do you mean we will see. Are you going to buy or not". I told him I need to see a official price list and spec sheet etc prior to making my mind up and it is impossible to commit without doing so. He said I was in luck because all the prices and specs are now officially available and we went to his office.

So the total for my car with the above specs was $53,969 and would be available within the next 2 - 3 weeks. I told him that since I last saw him I would like the dynaudio upgrade as well. Reason being I spend a lot of time in my car and I am not the type of person to take out a system and insert a pioneer system. I would prefer a factory upgrade so to speak. He told me the only cars that came with the upgrade were ones ordered / deposited 7 mths and over ago. If I wanted this car with the upgraded stereo I would have to wait another 4 mths. (one of the conditions of the contract when I paid my deposit was for me not to wait longer than Jan for the car)

I said I can not give him an answer if I Was going to go ahead with the deal because "my ideal car" would have the stereo upgrade. He said he needs an answer by today because he ha 3 other ppl waiting for that specific car. I said I will sleep on it and to give me 24 hours, he was fine with that.

I then suggested he price my car for trade in value so I know exactly where I stand. At this stage no commitment has been made in any direction by myself. He was happy to do so.

With the dunaudio upgrade and my trade the difference was $39,321. The 4 month wait was something I could probably live with so I said to him, ok I am willing to discuss price and asked how flexible they are.

This is where it gets good.

He looked at me with a puzzled look and advised there is zero flexibility with new cars. I advised him I have never heard of anyone buying a car without any form of negotiation. He again said it is normal for new release cars to sell with no negotiations. I asked if this is a VW thing or a blanket scenario and he said if a new series car is released price is always firm. I then looked at him in a puzzled way (being the negotiator I am with every car I buy) and explained my history in buying cars. His reply was that the last 8 R8's he sold were all non negotiated prices. So this is something we did not agree on but anyway. The first rule of negotiating is to always be prepared to walk out so I told him that if there is no flexibility on price then he need not hold the vehicle for me and I dont want him to miss out on selling it to one of the other 3 proposed buyers. HE questioned my intention to purchase a car and I told him I am in the market for a new car but there will be some form of negotiation and we began to talk about the time frame the mk6 gti will probably start to reduce in price (1 year).

Furthermore to his question about my intentions to buy a car, he questioned my reasons in signing a contract. I replied back saying I was never aware I was signing a contract when I paid my deposit. He said it is a legally binding contract but he is willing to send a cheque with my deposit back to me. I said that is fine but even if it was a contract there was 3 conditions: delivery b4 Jan, Agreed value and the options mentioned above. I told him we did not agree on value therefore the "contract" can not be binding. He said agreed value is the value of the difference we worked out earlier. I told him my interpretation of "agreed value" is when both parties reach n agreement on the price of the vehicle, something that did not happen in this instance. He refused to acknowledge this. One thing I should have asked him is how can a contract be binding for a vehicle when at the time of deposit there was no official price list or spec sheet available.

The conversation became heated for a time being and then when we both realised we are again not going to agree we both calmed down. I thanked him because the service from his staff was spot on compared to everywhere else I went and I hoped that we could do business in the future. I advised I Was disappointed progress could not be made and I intentionally left negotiation and price mentioning until today because all information provided in the past was never official and everything was so hush hush.

He walked me to my car and we went our separate ways. I am glad I stuck to my guns and did not give in for what I believed in. The price was pretty much what I was expecting and we all know that it is going to be a good car. Anyway from here I'm going to give another dealer a crack hehe. If I find myself in the same predicamanet then hey, I am still in the market for a new car. Maybe if I can find myself a nice good example of a 2nd hand r32 :cool:

Plopeye
21-10-2009, 01:39 AM
Official Price List: (on road costs)

3 door man: $43,673
3 door DSG: $46,273

5 door man: $45,233
5 door DSG: $47,833

Optional Equipment: (on road costs)
Metallic paint: $728
Sunroof: $1,976
Satnav: $2,600
Satnav + dynaudio: $3,952
Dynaudio: $1,352
Media device interface: $281
PArk Assist: $1,456
Rear View Cam: $520
Park assist + cam: $1,976
ACC: $1,560
Leather: $3,432
Electric seats: $624
Bi-xenon: $2,080
18 inch detroits: $1,248
Tints: $416

Corey_R
21-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Official Price List: (on road costs)

3 door man: $43,673
3 door DSG: $46,273

5 door man: $45,233
5 door DSG: $47,833

Optional Equipment: (on road costs)
Metallic paint: $728
Sunroof: $1,976
Satnav: $2,600
Satnav + dynaudio: $3,952
Dynaudio: $1,352
Media device interface: $281
PArk Assist: $1,456
Rear View Cam: $520
Park assist + cam: $1,976
ACC: $1,560
Leather: $3,432
Electric seats: $624
Bi-xenon: $2,080
18 inch detroits: $1,248
Tints: $416

Man - I don't know where you got that price list from, but it hardly looks official. It certainly isn't the same as the 'official' price list over at my-gti.com which is supposedly sourced from VW. The other thing is, the options CANNOT include 'onroad' costs because it VARIES depending on how many options, what the dealer delivery is, and what your age and location is, and the onroads AND taxes vary depending on what state you're in.

Please refer to the very first post in this thread, which links you to this:
Volkswagen Golf GTI Mark VI Prices and Specifications MY10 September 2009 (http://www.my-gti.com/1588/volkswagen-golf-gti-mark-vi-prices-and-specifications-australia-my10)

Corey_R
21-10-2009, 08:22 AM
He looked at me with a puzzled look and advised there is zero flexibility with new cars. I advised him I have never heard of anyone buying a car without any form of negotiation. He again said it is normal for new release cars to sell with no negotiations. I asked if this is a VW thing or a blanket scenario and he said if a new series car is released price is always firm. I then looked at him in a puzzled way (being the negotiator I am with every car I buy) and explained my history in buying cars. His reply was that the last 8 R8's he sold were all non negotiated prices. So this is something we did not agree on but anyway. The first rule of negotiating is to always be prepared to walk out so I told him that if there is no flexibility on price then he need not hold the vehicle for me and I dont want him to miss out on selling it to one of the other 3 proposed buyers. HE questioned my intention to purchase a car and I told him I am in the market for a new car but there will be some form of negotiation and we began to talk about the time frame the mk6 gti will probably start to reduce in price (1 year).
I think that what the dealer is saying is somewhat true, but needs further clarification. If a manufacturer like Honda releases a new Accord and has 4000 of them ready to supply to the market quickly, but has 3000 purchasers lined up, then there is obviously room to negotiate. There are more cars than purchasers, and even if the balance slides the other way, Honda ramp them out so quick etc.
However, when you have a 'new car' like a Golf GTI or Audi R8 etc, where there are far more purchasers than cars available, at that point there is normally no negotiation. Why would they need to negotiate a discount of 10% when one of the other purchasers is happy to pay full price to ensure they get the car?
The '1 year' rule isn't hard and fast - but it's usually around that time that they've caught up with the rush, there are more cars than purchasers, and the dealers are willing to be flexible with the purchasers.

It's not just a VW thing. Go to BMW and try to get a discount on an M3 when it first came out! They'd laugh at you because they'd already sold the first three allocations to Australia before the first car arrived.

pologti18t
21-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Plopeye... are you serious about buying a car or just mucking the dealer about?

You've placed a deposit on a car, sight unseen, no firm price or delivery date and now want a car with a differing spec and now you want to negotiate? Why didn't you just wait until the car was released, the prices announced and the cars were in stock before going into a dealer and doing the deal?

Plopeye
21-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Man - I don't know where you got that price list from, but it hardly looks official. It certainly isn't the same as the 'official' price list over at my-gti.com which is supposedly sourced from VW. The other thing is, the options CANNOT include 'onroad' costs because it VARIES depending on how many options, what the dealer delivery is, and what your age and location is, and the onroads AND taxes vary depending on what state you're in.

Please refer to the very first post in this thread, which links you to this:
Volkswagen Golf GTI Mark VI Prices and Specifications MY10 September 2009 (http://www.my-gti.com/1588/volkswagen-golf-gti-mark-vi-prices-and-specifications-australia-my10)

I got that price list from my VW dealer. I have it on a sheet of paper so it is an official document from VW. IS the my-gti web site an official site from VWA? Happy to scan or jpg the price list as per my dealer if you like bud.

Plopeye
21-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Plopeye... are you serious about buying a car or just mucking the dealer about?

You've placed a deposit on a car, sight unseen, no firm price or delivery date and now want a car with a differing spec and now you want to negotiate? Why didn't you just wait until the car was released, the prices announced and the cars were in stock before going into a dealer and doing the deal?

I based my deposit on the fact that the vehicle was not going to be readily available when initially released. When I paid my deposit my dealer could not give me an official price, or an official list of accessories or extras. So I paid my deposit so I could be "in the queue" for when these details became available.

pologti, now it would have been stupid of me to proceed with the purchase if the pricing or conditions of the sale did not suit me dont you think? So to answer your question I am serious about buying a car bud, but I am not serious to proceed with any type purchase while being left in the dark. To me that would have been silly. The purpose of the deposit, which i made clear to the dealer at the start was to be able to purchase the car prior to Jan based on: agreed value, specs, early delivery etc. My needs were not met in these 3 criterea and I am not the type of person to just settle on whatever.

When I paid my deposit I told him I wanted my car to have the 18 inch wheels as well. My sales manager told me the 18 inch wheels is not going to be an option and they would only have 17 inch wheels. This is another spec that was "not available" at the time of deposit. If I said I Wanted that spec then my deposit was pointless because that specific car would still not have been available to me for another 4 - 5 months.

Corey_R
21-10-2009, 09:35 AM
I got that price list from my VW dealer. I have it on a sheet of paper so it is an official document from VW. IS the my-gti web site an official site from VWA? Happy to scan or jpg the price list as per my dealer if you like bud.

What I'm saying is, IF they include onroads, the price is for YOU and YOU alone. Not an official price list. Much more, you're in SA so it is not relevant to people in say VIC or NSW, even if they're the same age as you etc.

As for the options and accessories. I think the only thing on the list which was not known to be coming (at least I didn't see it anywhere in the past 6 months) was the electric seat adjustment for the 5 door. They've left that off the golf in previous releases in Australia. All other options were expected, and expected at or around the prices (Maverick) listed. I think unfortunately the dealer or sales person you spoke to was maybe a bit in the dark and since you also didn't know what was coming, it has left you in this situation.

Plopeye
21-10-2009, 09:52 AM
What I'm saying is, IF they include onroads, the price is for YOU and YOU alone. Not an official price list. Much more, you're in SA so it is not relevant to people in say VIC or NSW, even if they're the same age as you etc.

As for the options and accessories. I think the only thing on the list which was not known to be coming (at least I didn't see it anywhere in the past 6 months) was the electric seat adjustment for the 5 door. They've left that off the golf in previous releases in Australia. All other options were expected, and expected at or around the prices (Maverick) listed. I think unfortunately the dealer or sales person you spoke to was maybe a bit in the dark and since you also didn't know what was coming, it has left you in this situation.

Gotcha bud. Apologies for my wording in my previous post re the price list and thanks for picking me up on that.

You think if I go to another dealer the numbers could be different?

The elect seats is for the 5 dr only when leather is an option according to the price list the gave me yesterday.

Corey_R
21-10-2009, 10:07 AM
You think if I go to another dealer the numbers could be different?
At this time, with the no negotiation on car price (if all dealers are sticking to that), the only difference you may experience with going to another dealer is a different 'dealer delivery' price, or dealer 'freebies'. A few quotes I've seen the dealer delivery at around $2995 - so if you can negotiate on that, or wave it completely, then there is a significant saving. LCT and Stamp Duty calculations both take into account dealer delivery, so waving that can effect up to $4088 depending on the car configuration and your state's duties.

Maverick
21-10-2009, 10:16 AM

That's what your dealer is charging and isn't an official document from VW. Those prices will vary especially if it hits the luxury tax threshold (easy to do with a few options).

Sharkie
21-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Bottom line here guys ..... whilst there are more buyers than cars available there will be no discounting (or negotiating) on price.

Expect at least 12 months before you will be able to negotiate a price on a new GTI with a dealer.

Everybody that paid a deposit to be in the queue early has exactly that ... an early option to get into a new GTI. If your contract said subject to an acceptable price (as mine does) then it comes down to this ......
if you don't like the price, you can walk away and get your deposit back.

Nowhere does it say you can negotiate to get a better price .... :rolleyes: .... Dealer discount and Corporate discount will not be available initially.The best you may hope for is a few small freebies or a small spec inclusion (as in inexpensive) on a dealer pre-ordered car.

Expect to pay full RRP for a while .......

g20
21-10-2009, 11:15 AM
i was told corporate discount is available?

pologti18t
21-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I based my deposit on the fact that the vehicle was not going to be readily available when initially released. When I paid my deposit my dealer could not give me an official price, or an official list of accessories or extras. So I paid my deposit so I could be "in the queue" for when these details became available.

Do people often join a queue when they dont know what they are getting or how much they what they will pay for it? weird :)

Perhaps a MPS3 would be a better bet for you. No plethora of options and available with a discount at the moment. ;)

Sharkie
21-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Do people often join a queue when they dont know what they are getting or how much they what they will pay for it? weird :)

It happens quite often actually ...... especially on "in demand" cars.

I ordered the Mk6 R purely on the fact that I want the car. I'm accepting that I will likely have no negotiating power when it comes to purchasing time and that the dealer has me by the short and curly's .....:mad: Within reason I'm prepared to pay full RRP .....

i was told corporate discount is available?

Better check/confirm with your dealer. Tiguans was off the Corporate Discount list for more than 12months after release and I believe CCs to be as well still. Noises I heard from my dealer (about 3 weeks ago now) was that it was not available on the MK6 GTIs either until further notice.

Plopeye
21-10-2009, 12:40 PM

Perhaps a MPS3 would be a better bet for you. No plethora of options and available with a discount at the moment. ;)

You will find that quite a few ppl did just that by reading these forums. Lots of ppl paid a deposit with conditions to get in the queue. The beauty of that is if official details when available don't meet a particular critera the deposit is refundable.

Pity I find the mps an ugly car but cheers for the suggestion :)

Corey_R
21-10-2009, 12:55 PM

You find that with high end cars (Ferrari's, Aston Martin's, etc), that no only do people pay substantial deposits to be in queue for a car they may have to wait 2 years for, but people sometimes even sell their place in queue for a nice profit to other people who see the car close to release date but don't want to have to wait for 2 years for their car if they joined the end of the queue.

pologti18t
21-10-2009, 01:54 PM
You will find that quite a few ppl did just that by reading these forums. Lots of ppl paid a deposit with conditions to get in the queue. The beauty of that is if official details when available don't meet a particular critera the deposit is refundable.

But this is the bit I dont understand. The price is essentially that of the outgoing MKV GTI, the options match those of the less golfs (so you could have put dynaudio on your wish list contract), the dealer has a car that matches your original criteria/contract. So, why didn't you buy it? Did you think that paying the deposit put you in the queue for any car you wanted irrespective of the specs? Or are you miffed because you weren't able to haggle on the price?

People still talk about the initial release of the MKV GTI. The wait times then were unbelievable and the prices were rock solid.

The trouble then and now is the plethora of factory options available. No way a manufacturer can keep a stock of all the variations in spec leading to huge waiting times. The Japs get around this buy offering cars with limited factory options or bundled option models. MPS3 is case in point. Two models (base and lux). All you get to choose is the colour.

VW should be congratulated for offering all these tastie options but it causes alot of pain for most buyers in longer lead times and forking out for options on available cars they don't want.

I sometimes think that VW would be better off selling two GTIs, A base model and a luxury one thats specced up, and reduce the number of individual factory options. For instance the GTI in the USA has LESS options available than our market :)

Lima
21-10-2009, 02:36 PM
If MINI can manage an extensive and highly customisable options list in this country, then the comparatively minor offerings (albeit improving) by Volkswagen should be able to be managed. I suppose it comes down to customers being willing to wait for a custom order.

That said, your theory of a base spec and a "package" GTI with some of the more popular options (like the Chilli pack on the MINIs) is a pretty good idea.

Corey_R
21-10-2009, 02:49 PM
But Mini have the same issue that VW does on brand new models. There is always more buyers than cars, and the prices on 'barely used 2nd hand models' are initially more expensive than brand new ones, which reflects this issue.

But yes, I do like the idea of the 'Chilli pack' for VW models too :)

Plopeye
21-10-2009, 02:50 PM
But this is the bit I dont understand. The price is essentially that of the outgoing MKV GTI, the options match those of the less golfs (so you could have put dynaudio on your wish list contract), the dealer has a car that matches your original criteria/contract. So, why didn't you buy it? Did you think that paying the deposit put you in the queue for any car you wanted irrespective of the specs? Or are you miffed because you weren't able to haggle on the price?

Oh ok to clarify then at the time of deposit the dealer tells me he is basing the paper work on the outgoing mkV as you mentioned. And I was happy for him to do so. However what I am trying to say is that at that time nothing was official. At that time I also wanted 18 inch wheels but he told me the mk6 gti was not going to come with 18 inch wheels. I see where you are coming from regarding the dynaudio as well but regardless, even if I did opt for the dynaudio car at the time of deposit the exact spec of vehicle would not be available. The only cars with dynaudio according to my dealer are for those people who paid there deposit over 7 months ago.

So the 3 reasons I did not proceed with the purchase are and in order:
1) The vehicle in the spec I want is not available.
2) I want a car in or before Jan
3) No bargaining available.

Fair enough it has been made clear about point 3 that that is not a possibility apart from when it comes to dealer delivery. I did not know I could negotiate dealer delivery yesterday so I didnt push that issue. But even if the bargaining was available that leaves 2 other factors, or should i say terms of the contract which could not be met.

Now that I look back and know what i do now (compared to time of deposit because nothing was official) I realise it was a long shot for me to get what I was after re the mk6 gti. But thats what it is all about isnt it? Like I said to you previously, I am not going to settle on something without the options I want, thats just me I'm a picky b@stard :cool:

I know not everyone is going to agree with me with all of this and thats cool. I am just being open with everyone and sharing my experience because everyone here seems very helpful. I like these forums cos there is not many bashers in here like a previous honda forum I would frequent when I was in a honda. Also my experience is not over, nor was it a bad experience. The people in the VW dealership were fantastic, I can not talk highly enough about them which is why I this chapter has not left a bad taste in my mouth.

Maverick
21-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I sometimes think that VW would be better off selling two GTIs, A base model and a luxury one thats specced up, and reduce the number of individual factory options. For instance the GTI in the USA has LESS options available than our market :)

Actually they have extra options plus extra standard equipment for HALF the price.

Standard is bluetooth, SIRIUS, compass, 8 way seats, MDI with ipod cable, heated front seats and washer nozzles, in wheel TPMS.

5 colours
3 door or 5 door
Autobahn Package (sunroof, sport seats, black leather)
DSG or Manual
1 x 17" and 3 x 18" options
bi-xenon
sunroof
dynaudio
rns 510
rear side airbags (still not an option in Australia because of our arcane laws)
etc etc.

Corey_R
21-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Like I said to you previously, I am not going to settle on something without the options I want, thats just me I'm a picky b@stard :cool:

Nah, I'm with you there man! Unless you're a lucky person who can save $50k in a few months, you can't spend a few years of saving on an item that isn't 100% the way you want it. When I go and order my Golf R (after I've saved up a bit), I will make sure I get the exact configuration I want. And I'm prepared to wait for it to be built and delivered :D

Lima
21-10-2009, 06:39 PM
...When I go and order my Golf R (after I've saved up a bit), I will make sure I get the exact configuration I want. And I'm prepared to wait for it to be built and delivered :D

That was the approach I took with the S3. There were still a few options I wouldn't have minded getting, but once I hit $10K in options I figured I should just settle for the main ones I wanted, haha.

:banana:

pologti18t
22-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Actually they have extra options plus extra standard equipment for HALF the price.

Standard is bluetooth, SIRIUS, compass, 8 way seats, MDI with ipod cable, heated front seats and washer nozzles, in wheel TPMS.

That's balanced (afaik) by the single zone climate control, no auto lights, no auto wipers or auto dipping mirror of the US model. The 18inch optional wheels look straight from the normal VW catalog.

Maverick
22-10-2009, 09:50 AM
That's balanced (afaik) by the single zone climate control, no auto lights, no auto wipers or auto dipping mirror of the US model. The 18inch optional wheels look straight from the normal VW catalog.

They get thousands of dollars in extras and pay half the price so I'm not sure it's that balanced.

Other than the climatronic the auto lights, mirror and wipers can be added for a few hundred dollars.

I would gladly lose the climatronic for a 50% saving on the car :banana:

pologti18t
22-10-2009, 11:56 AM
They get thousands of dollars in extras and pay half the price so I'm not sure it's that balanced.

Other than the climatronic the auto lights, mirror and wipers can be added for a few hundred dollars.

I would gladly lose the climatronic for a 50% saving on the car :banana:

You can't use that argument when comparing prices of cars in the USA to here. The reason that the US GTI is despecced is to reduce the price (notice there is no ACC option).

Perhaps you should look at the price of a GTI in the UK to here. It's more expensive there !

Maverick
22-10-2009, 12:22 PM
You can't use that argument when comparing prices of cars in the USA to here. The reason that the US GTI is despecced is to reduce the price (notice there is no ACC option).

The only difference is the climate control which is worth around $2000 but they have $2000 worth of extras so the car isn't really de-specced.

The lack of the ACC is because of their requirement to maintain a certain ride height.

Note that they have extra options like rear seat airbags.

Perhaps you should look at the price of a GTI in the UK to here. It's more expensive there !

Not really relevant as they have similar taxes to us. The point is that the car in the USA is half the price of the car here.

pologti18t
22-10-2009, 01:56 PM
The only difference is the climate control which is worth around $2000 but they have $2000 worth of extras so the car isn't really de-specced.

Not really relevant as they have similar taxes to us. The point is that the car in the USA is half the price of the car here.

Not sure where you get the $2000 worth of extra on the yankie model :) Satellite radio is hardly a lux item (its standard on a large range of cars in the USA like the Kia Rio!). The yanks do whinge that their VWs are despecced compared to other markets.

ACC is not available in the USA due to price not the reason you stated. The Toureg in the USA has air adjustable suspension.
I also don't see any mention of park assist, parking sensors, rear view camera

The argument about USA car pricing is pointless and endless. The low cost of new cars is matched by crap resale on used cars. Swings and roundabouts.

Maverick
22-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Not sure where you get the $2000 worth of extra on the yankie model :) Satellite radio is hardly a lux item (its standard on a large range of cars in the USA like the Kia Rio!). The yanks do whinge that their VWs are despecced compared to other markets.

Bluetooth - $500
SIRIUS - $200
Compass - $200
8 Way Seats - $400
MDI with IPOD - $300
Heated Seats - $400
Heated Washer Nozzles - $100
In Wheel TPMS - $500

Total ~$2600 worth.

ACC is not available in the USA due to price not the reason you stated. The Toureg in the USA has air adjustable suspension.
I also don't see any mention of park assist, parking sensors, rear view camera

ACC is not available due to ride height. The US GTI is higher than the GTI's in other countries because they have laws about the minimum height of the bumpers.

The argument about USA car pricing is pointless and endless. The low cost of new cars is matched by crap resale on used cars. Swings and roundabouts.

Actually it's entirely relevant. As you said earlier the UK is more expensive than Australia. The resale in the UK is worse than the USA when you look at percentages and at least in the USA you get a really cheap price to start with.

Corey_R
22-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Who gives a crap about low resale when you buy a BMW M3 new for $50k ;) :D

pologti18t
23-10-2009, 08:36 AM
From official specs
>> Front GTI sports seats with height and lumbar adjustment*

Looks like we get 8 way seats.
TPMS = we also get this but it uses the ABS system just like in Europe

We get the option of 4 different 18inch wheels

ACC is not available due to ride height. The US GTI is higher than the GTI's in other countries because they have laws about the minimum height of the bumpers.

Actually this hasn't been true for the GTI since a year into the MK V version where they lowered it back to Euro height standards. So it obviously wasn't a bumper height issue.

If it was bumper height how the hell would lower cars like a MX5 pass it? ;)

ACC doesn't adjust the ride height anyway...

Maverick
23-10-2009, 08:45 AM
From official specs
>> Front GTI sports seats with height and lumbar adjustment*

Looks like we get 8 way seats.

We get 6 way seats.

TPMS = we also get this but it uses the ABS system just like in Europe

Just because they have the same name doesn't make them equal, the TPMS that we get is useless.

We get the option of 4 different 18inch wheels

Only one from the factory, the rest have to be purchased from the dealer $$$$$$.

Actually this hasn't been true for the GTI since a year into the MK V version where they lowered it back to Euro height standards. So it obviously wasn't a bumper height issue.

Source for that info? All the VW service material shows the ride height as still being higher.

If it was bumper height how the hell would lower cars like a MX5 pass it? ;)

They have modifications.

ACC doesn't adjust the ride height anyway...

ACC is designed for a certain ride height, the stock height is the standard GTI height. They may have it as an option later.

Corey_R
23-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Seriously... I'm not sure why this argument is being had here. pologti18t, this isn't just the case for VW, but for most other European manufactures. The cars price in the USA is almost always lower than even in the country of manufacture. This is a well known fact. You can argue all you want over inclusions and options and all that, but everyone knows that the USA car market has such low prices because they don't have all the taxes that markets like the UK and Australia do, they don't have the import duties, they have a HUGE population that is car crazy and so the manufactuers always price the cars competitively.

Anyways - back on topic. Golf GTI Mark VI specifications. The electric driver's seat is only available for the 5 door model. Is there some law which prevents them from letting us pick this option on a 3 door model? I only want my passengers getting out the left side of the car anyway, I want this option! hehe

pologti18t
23-10-2009, 09:11 AM
>>We get 6 way seats.

The USA gets : Seats, manual 8-way adjustment, driver and passenger side incl. 2-way manual lumbar support

That's the same as us.

>Just because they have the same name doesn't make them equal, the >TPMS that we get is useless.

Why? It warns you of a deflating tyre.

>>Only one from the factory, the rest have to be purchased from the >>dealer $$$$$$.

Same as the USA, except we also get access to the sexy new multispoke black rims.
The US model is lumbered with all season tyres, not the high performance summer tyres we get here. That is usually an additional cost to upgrade in the USA.

Not to mention all GTis are speed limited to about 210km/h

>>ACC is designed for a certain ride height, the stock height is the >>standard GTI height. They may have it as an option later.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but you said it was because USA regs demanded standard ride height. This is not true as a number of cars on the US market have adjustable ride height.

The same system is available on regular Golfs with differing ride heights (118TSI can be optioned with it)

So, overall... barring market specific safety regs (TPMS) and satellite radio (no extra cost as it standard on just about every new car in the USA) the Oz model is higher specced. We also have access to more options.

Maverick
23-10-2009, 09:52 AM
>>We get 6 way seats.

The USA gets : Seats, manual 8-way adjustment, driver and passenger side incl. 2-way manual lumbar support

That's the same as us.

No it's not, this has been discussed before. We get the 6 way seats. The USA get's the 8 way seats that include a tilt of the seat.

>Just because they have the same name doesn't make them equal, the >TPMS that we get is useless.

Why? It warns you of a deflating tyre.

Against there is a massive difference between the two. You can't compare them because one is actively monitoring the tyres and will warn within seconds of problems and the other can take many kilometres to warn of problems and requires user intervention to reset each time the tyres are inflated.

>>Only one from the factory, the rest have to be purchased from the >>dealer $$$$$$.

Same as the USA, except we also get access to the sexy new multispoke black rims.
The US model is lumbered with all season tyres, not the high performance summer tyres we get here. That is usually an additional cost to upgrade in the USA.

They can order extra wheels from the factory that we can't and have you looked at the rims they have available to their market? They have different weather hence the different tyres. Rims and tyres are a fraction of the price of Australia so having two sets, one for winter and one for summer is the norm over there.

Not to mention all GTis are speed limited to about 210km/h

Which really doesn't matter, they have higher speed limits on their roads over there and don't have penalties like we do. Plus for $500 they can get their car chipped and that restriction removed.

>>ACC is designed for a certain ride height, the stock height is the >>standard GTI height. They may have it as an option later.

Yes, but you said it was because USA regs demanded standard ride height. This is not true as a number of cars on the US market have adjustable ride height. [/quote]

As I said the have requirements regarding bumper height (and the underlying areas where the impact is behind the bumper).

So, overall... barring market specific safety regs (TPMS) and satellite radio (no extra cost as it standard on just about every new car in the USA) the Oz model is higher specced. We also have access to more options.

Other than Climatronic they get everything that we do (with the exception of ACC, park assist and RVC) plus they get extra options (like TPMS and real air bags), their car is higher specced and half the price. I've listed the specs multiple times and it's all there in black and white.

Their options are half the price of Australia plus they have a massive number of companies that sell wheels, body kits and parts available to them.

Maverick
23-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Anyways - back on topic. Golf GTI Mark VI specifications. The electric driver's seat is only available for the 5 door model. Is there some law which prevents them from letting us pick this option on a 3 door model? I only want my passengers getting out the left side of the car anyway, I want this option! hehe

I would assume that it's because it would take so long for the electric motor to drive it forward whereas the manual one you just lift the handle and pull it forward.

Plus the seat back has to pivot forward and this is an electric adjustment on the electric seat so again would take ages (and can't tilt all the way forward like the manual one). But it would be cool to hit a button to have it move forward and tilt, just would suck if you hit the button when driving :eek:

I guess there isn't the market out there that want a electric seat on the 3 doors to justify the spend on creating a special electric seat????

Corey_R
23-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Maybe... I'd still have it anyway and just tell the rear passengers to get out the left side ;) :D

Maverick
23-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Maybe... I'd still have it anyway and just tell the rear passengers to get out the left side ;) :D

You could retrofit it but it's probably around $4-5000 going by the price of the non electric seat at around $3000.

Corey_R
23-10-2009, 12:48 PM
yeah - so not worth it for an item which would normally be a few hundred $ option!

Dubya
26-10-2009, 12:48 PM
No it's not, this has been discussed before. We get the 6 way seats. The USA get's the 8 way seats that include a tilt of the seat.

But it does show that it is feasible for VW to specify an 8-way seat without blowing the cost of production of a GTI.

However, I gather the $600 electrically-operated driver's seat option (where the leather option has been selected) will be 8-way, so that should keep everyone happy.

pologti18t
26-10-2009, 02:34 PM
But it does show that it is feasible for VW to specify an 8-way seat without blowing the cost of production of a GTI.

It's all about price points. The UK GTI gets the MDI as standard but with the lower RCD310 headunit and no cruise control. Seats are the same spec in UK and Germany as here.

erko
26-10-2009, 02:54 PM
im very keen on the 18' ten spoke anthracite / gloss black wheel option....looks like its a dealer fit. Has anyone got any pricing on the dealer fit options?

aeon
27-10-2009, 08:05 AM
The GTI has finally hit some of the mainstream media websites:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/46112/2010-golf-gti/

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/24414/2010-volkswagen-golf-gti-tech-specs-more-pics-released/

Looks like today is the launch!

T Go
27-10-2009, 11:05 AM
I recieved an email from a dealer here in Perth yesterday stating that its due for release here this Saturday....

So if you have spare time and are in Perth, go to the nearest VW dealership and have a look.

Corey_R
27-10-2009, 11:38 AM

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/24414/2010-volkswagen-golf-gti-tech-specs-more-pics-released/

Here is an updated link for the CarAdvice article:
http://www.caradvice.com.au/46112/volkswagen-golf-gti-review/

Also note that the MotorReport article has incorrect information, stating that the Active Chassis Control is standard, when in fact it is an option.

Sharkie
27-10-2009, 11:48 AM
TopGear Australia magazine has a really good comparison test with a WRX in it. GTI came out looking awesome .... performance not so great, but everything else far superior to the WRX .....

If only it had more power and AWD ..... oh wait .... thats called the R ... :banana: ... and its coming ..... :bowdown: .... in 6 months .....

Spook
27-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Report from Carsales:
http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/golf-hot-shot-tees-off-17190

Report from goauto:
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/989DEAD021700A97CA25765B0079EA43

Kwoka
27-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Just got a call from my local dealer and it has been confirmed that the launch day for the car is this Saturday!

pologti18t
27-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Just got a call from my local dealer and it has been confirmed that the launch day for the car is this Saturday!

Launch day? If you can buy them and drive them now then i think they have already been lauched :)

Lima
27-10-2009, 02:47 PM

And at least one not quite so mainstream website. (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/10/27/new-golf-gti-australian-details-released.html) :cool:

Lima
27-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Launch day? If you can buy them and drive them now then i think they have already been lauched :)

There is supposed to be a dealer embargo until this Saturday. But clearly that has already been broken.

Rocket
27-10-2009, 03:10 PM
And at least one not quite so mainstream website. (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/10/27/new-golf-gti-australian-details-released.html) :cool:

Some good info and pics you got there. Not a fan of the 17" denvers on the new GTI, espec the white. Need the 18"..

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/VWMk6GolfGTI44s-1.jpg

aeon
27-10-2009, 03:20 PM
My thoughts exactly...

Shame the 18's aren't standard... but $1200 isn't _too_ bad... wouldn't mind the Dealer Fitted 18" Motorsport ones, but I'm guessing they'll cost a bit more!

erko
27-10-2009, 03:48 PM
wouldn't mind the Dealer Fitted 18" Motorsport ones, but I'm guessing they'll cost a bit more!

yeah im with you on that.......on white they would look great. im keen to know what the cost is too.

windmagnet
27-10-2009, 04:33 PM
As posted on another thread, my dealer advised that if your car is delivered with factory fitted 17" wheels (most of them seem to be coming in with this config), then it will cost around $800 a wheel to upgrade to 18".

Dealer will not trade the rims but this price assumes new tyres from 17s are traded for new tyres for the 18s.

You wind up with a set of 17" rims to sell on eBay and about $2,000 poorer than if you got the 18s as factory fitted.

Corey_R
27-10-2009, 05:18 PM
As posted on another thread, my dealer advised that if your car is delivered with factory fitted 17" wheels (most of them seem to be coming in with this config), then it will cost around $800 a wheel to upgrade to 18".

Yeah - but is that to change to the 18" Detroit wheels?
http://media2.paultan.org/images/Volkswagen_Golf_GTI_Malaysia_Special_Edition_1.jpg

... or the 18" 'Motorsport' wheels ?

People are trying to figure out how much the Motorsport ones will cost.... Cause if they're going to charge $800 per wheel for the Detroit and not include tyres, imagine what they could end up charging for the Motorsport wheels!

windmagnet
27-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Cause if they're going to charge $800 per wheel for the Detroit and not include tyres, imagine what they could end up charging for the Motorsport wheels!

That price includes tyres but assumes that the dealer can get trade in $ for the tyres on the 17" when buying the tyres for the 18". So you get back just the rims for your 17" wheels

If the wheels in your picture are the same as the black spoked ones in the GTI brochure options pic, then that was what I was discussing with my dealer. However, the $3,200 was not a quote but just an indication of likely cost.

Corey_R
27-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Cools, thanks! :)

aeon
28-10-2009, 11:19 AM
First "review":

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=66821&pg=1&vf=0

Hail
28-10-2009, 12:04 PM
My dealer suggested the 18" motorsport rims would cost in the order of $4-5k as a dealer fitted option, as opposed to the $1200 for 18" Detroit (factory fitted).

pologti18t
28-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Wheels Magazine has a Golf GTI supplement attached. Nice history of the model.

rich8rd
28-10-2009, 12:42 PM
The booklet is online if anyone interested

http://www.wheels-volkswagen-golf-gti.com/

pinzvidz
28-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Yeah just spotted that as well. It would seem the VGA have invested quite a bit of money with Packer, errr, Wheels in the launch of the new GTI.

pologti18t
28-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Just had a chat with a guy at Inchape. Corp discount pricing is not available on initial batch of GTIs. Apparently it is available on subsequent batchs or if you order now for a car to be built. Otherwise, now , you only get the reduced dealer delivery fee (2500 -> 995).

Not sure if true, but initial batch of cars had few, if none, 3 dr manuals.

Because alot of corporations wont supply the required fleet letter I would have to go through the corporate approved leasing company to get a full discount (on top of the dealer delivery reduction). If I was to buy with own cash/finance he could only give a $1000-1500 discount on a GTI (rather than the full 2000-2500).

jatkins
28-10-2009, 03:48 PM
on the liftout...the 8th fun fact about the tartan seat pattern being called "Jacky" isn't that because of Jackie Stewart and his tartan wearing ways or am i just making that up?

mattyf83
28-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Just had a chat with a guy at Inchape. Corp discount pricing is not available on initial batch of GTIs. Apparently it is available on subsequent batchs or if you order now for a car to be built. Otherwise, now , you only get the reduced dealer delivery fee (2500 -> 995).

Not sure if true, but initial batch of cars had few, if none, 3 dr manuals.

Because alot of corporations wont supply the required fleet letter I would have to go through the corporate approved leasing company to get a full discount (on top of the dealer delivery reduction). If I was to buy with own cash/finance he could only give a $1000-1500 discount on a GTI (rather than the full 2000-2500).

Can you explain this further? Is the discount on the dealer delivery only for corporate purchasers?

do you know how much the corporate discount will be on subsequent batches?

aeon
28-10-2009, 08:18 PM
So how does one get corporate pricing without belonging to a corporation? :)

aeon
28-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Another "First Drive"

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/45184/2010-golf-gti-first-drive-review/

I like this bit (about 12 month delays on the MKV):

New Volkswagen Australian Boss Anke Koeckler is adamant this won’t be a problem with the new model. On sale now, there are 650 cars in the country and another 200 in transit – ‘on the water’.

EndlessMKI
29-10-2009, 12:03 AM
based on info when we were shopping for a Tiguan, dealers advised us that new release vw take some time before they make it on the fleet/coporate discout list.

this leads me to believe the discount does not relate to batches ......... the tipping point will be more related to how the sales numbers go and it will run hot for sometime to come.

but with GFC as everyones new pet bunny, who knows numbers might be quite down.

erko
29-10-2009, 08:14 AM
My dealer suggested the 18" motorsport rims would cost in the order of $4-5k as a dealer fitted option, as opposed to the $1200 for 18" Detroit (factory fitted).

ok, looks like i will be going aftermarket then.......OZ Racing or BBS from Tirerack :banana:

Flipper Dog
29-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Availability of the GTI,
"Lastly, availability – can you get a GTI if you want one? Long supply times was the bug-bear with the previous South African built model. Some buyers waited as long as twelve months to put their GTI in the garage. New Volkswagen Australian Boss Anke Koeckler is adamant this won’t be a problem with the new model. On sale now, there are 650 cars in the country and another 200 in transit – ‘on the water’."

Found in this article: http://www.themotorreport.com.au/45184/2010-golf-gti-first-drive-review/#title

So with 850 cars bound to hit our shores by the start of 2010 you would expect some dealers offering some "better" prices to get your cash.

MurphyTheElf
29-10-2009, 01:04 PM
So with 850 cars bound to hit our shores by the start of 2010 you would expect some dealers offering some "better" prices to get your cash.

Ah well. I couldn't wait, so I've paid full price, except I had some of the dealer options "thrown in". About $1500 worth. It's not much but at least it's something.

I've just paid for the car so apparently I get it tomorrow. A day before official release. I'll upload some photos when it's in the driveway. Can't wait!

Hail
29-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Ah well. I couldn't wait, so I've paid full price, except I had some of the dealer options "thrown in". About $1500 worth. It's not much but at least it's something.

I've just paid for the car so apparently I get it tomorrow. A day before official release. I'll upload some photos when it's in the driveway. Can't wait!

I'm jealous! I have the money ready, just need the car lol.

Did you end up getting the 18's or 17's?

g20
29-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Just got a call from my dealer that my car is ready for delivery tomorrow.

Ordered a White GTI DSG LEATHER XENON LIGHTS

But had to settle with White GTI DSG LEATHER SUNROOF instead

Just wondering what everyones paying for their car before i go a pay

With corporate discount my car is 47K drive away. Anyone getting a better deal?

Corey_R
29-10-2009, 03:27 PM
You failed to mention whether it's a 3dr or 5dr, but either way that's an awesome price.
GTI 3dr, DSG, Leather, Sunroof, Dealer Delivery + Taxes + Onroads in NSW = $52055.24
If you got the 5dr then it'd be $53630.24

So you're getting $7k+ discount!
(which is much more than what the corporate discount is supposed to give... and many dispute whether the corporate discount is even available atm).

Gav23
29-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Those options work out to be $46,690 (for 3 door) before taxes, stealer delivery and on-roads!

Dubya
29-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Now that VW has dispensed with side protector strips on the Mark VI Golf, what is to become of our doors in car parks?

Can a decent strip be fitted?

MurphyTheElf
29-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I'm jealous! I have the money ready, just need the car lol.

Did you end up getting the 18's or 17's?

Detroit 18's.

MurphyTheElf
29-10-2009, 04:39 PM

That sounds awesome - I wouldn't complain about that price. I got way more options than I originally wanted so I paid through the nose. I have an ABN but wasn't able to get a corporate discount. Dang. I'm too embarrassed to give you the price I paid but the options are:

Candy White 5 door DSG
Leather
Sunroof
RNS510 with Dynaudio
18" Detroits
Park Assist and Camera
ACC
Driver's seat adjust
MDI
Tint
Rear tub
Bluetooth

Ouch. But I can't wait until tomorrow arvo.

pologti18t
29-10-2009, 05:34 PM
When people say Corporate Discount do they mean they are novated leasing it as well? If so then GST is excluded from price. Add 10%.

Corey_R
29-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Now that VW has dispensed with side protector strips on the Mark VI Golf, what is to become of our doors in car parks?

Can a decent strip be fitted?

Ultimately the only thing those strips are good for is protecting the paint on the edge of your door when YOU open the door into something flat. With so many taller cars (4WDs, SAV's etc) they're mostly useless.

windmagnet
30-10-2009, 09:37 AM
On sale now, there are 650 cars in the country and another 200 in transit – ‘on the water’."

The GTI has been on sale in UK for some time and people are still waiting 7 months plus for their cars. The 850 cars here or on the way sounds like a lot but when you take into account (1) number already sold (2) number allocated as demos (3) allocation between states (4) proportion in the colour you want (5) proportion with manual/DSG (6) proportion of 5/3doors etc etc the chances of getting one off these shipments that matches your spec gets pretty low unless you are happy with a basic model (seem to be quite a few of them coming in).

In the Adelaide allocation from the first 650 cars, only one had 18" wheels and only one fully loaded (over $60k) had ACC.

Despite the GFC, I am guessing it will be a long wait if you want your GTI to match an exact spec unless you are very lucky.

Dubya
30-10-2009, 10:13 AM

g20, would you mind advising:

Was that for a 3-door or 5-door?

Did the $47k include GST?

Cheers

Dubya
30-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Does anyone know what Bluetooth costs? It is not on the list Mav provided.

Corey_R
30-10-2009, 11:07 AM
From another quote I've seen, the 'Premium Bluetooth' is $1390 inc GST.

aeon
30-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Looks like the bluetooth options are dealer accessories? Is that correct, if so, is it likely there'll be some cheaper, compatible after market bluetooth options?

Dubya
30-10-2009, 12:46 PM
On smh.com.au, Jezz spinks writes:

"Golf GTI Mk6 gains new features, however, including a so-called Extended Electronic Differential Lock (XDL) that’s designed to reduce understeer (the front-end pushing wide) in corners."

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=66819&s_rid=smh:rainbowstrip:content2:30-10:new%20golf%20gti%20is%20here!:newgolfgtiishere!

That's one new feature.

There is also a fancier touchscreen audio head unit.

But apart from those two, how many new and discrete standard features (other than underlying mods/improvements to the engine etc) can people name on the Mark VI GTI?

erko
30-10-2009, 12:54 PM
^

im most interested in ACC

Corey_R
30-10-2009, 01:20 PM
That's one new feature.

There is also a fancier touchscreen audio head unit.

But apart from those two, how many new and discrete standard features (other than underlying mods/improvements to the engine etc) can people name on the Mark VI GTI?

Yes! Look harder :p

The fact that they've been able to increase the quality of the build and the materials, decrease cabin noise and wind noise, change all body panels except the roof, increase the power and at the same time efficiency of the engine, then give us a 'fancier touchscreen audio head unit' and the XDL and STILL keep it the same price as the Mk5 launched at 5 years ago, who cares if most of the major new features are options?

But there are others. Driver's knee airbag, incremental improvements in the functionality of the MFD, Aircon and 'Electronic Assist Systems'. Hillstart Assist on the DSG etc.

Then there are the many new options not previous available - Park Assist, Adaptive Chassis Control, Electric Driver Seat, Dynaudio amp/speakers, rear view camera etc.

Even some of the previously available options have improvements. Bi-Xenon now have corning function, etc.

rich8rd
30-10-2009, 01:34 PM
anyone know if launch control is standard on the new DSG GTI?

Lima
30-10-2009, 01:47 PM
Yes! Look harder :p

The fact that they've been able to increase the quality of the build and the materials, decrease cabin noise and wind noise, change all body panels except the roof, increase the power and at the same time efficiency of the engine, then give us a 'fancier touchscreen audio head unit' and the XDL and STILL keep it the same price as the Mk5 launched at 5 years ago, who cares if most of the major new features are options?

But there are others. Driver's knee airbag, incremental improvements in the functionality of the MFD, Aircon and 'Electronic Assist Systems'. Hillstart Assist on the DSG etc.

Then there are the many new options not previous available - Park Assist, Adaptive Chassis Control, Electric Driver Seat, Dynaudio amp/speakers, rear view camera etc.

Even some of the previously available options have improvements. Bi-Xenon now have corning function, etc.

Plus fundamental geometry changes, such as a slightly wider front track for improved stability and a lower seating position to improve centre of gravity. Marginal, but still worth noting.

g20
30-10-2009, 01:54 PM
g20, would you mind advising:

Was that for a 3-door or 5-door?

Did the $47k include GST?

Cheers

This is a 5 Door, DSG Candy White Leather Sunroof

I went in for a test drive today.

47.5k DRIVE AWAY - includes GST, dealer delivery EVERYTHING - but this is with corporate discount

They wanted 51K without corporate discount -

Corey_R
30-10-2009, 02:10 PM
You mind mentioning the dealer you purchased that from? That is exceptional. Firstly the Corporate Discount is apparently not available anywhere else right now, and also, that car should be $53630.24 without the corporate discount, which means $51k drive away is still at least A saving!

Corey_R
30-10-2009, 02:14 PM
anyone know if launch control is standard on the new DSG GTI?

There has been the 'launch control' on DSGs for quite some time now. It's not 'true' launch control though. It just allows you to rev whilst holding the brake and then takes off as soon as the brake is released. It was provided to counter some of the critism about the 'lag' that the DSG has when accelerating from standstill (something the press is still critical of). It's not a launch control like on a Ferrari or whatever where the entire process is perfectly orchestrated so you have the perfect acceleration based on the grip available. With the VW you need to adjust the throttle manually etc.

Rocket
30-10-2009, 02:30 PM
This is a 5 Door, DSG Candy White Leather Sunroof

I want a leather sunroof! :banana:

Test drive booked for tomorrow

mattyf83
30-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Prices and specs on redbook site today. Provides good complete list of equipment. Doesnt provide Bluetooth as option, maybe included in standard sound system which is specced up compared to europe and has a phone button.

thoughts?
http://redbook.com.au/new-cars/details.aspx?R=536150&Cr=10&__Ns=p_Make_String%7c0%7c%7cp_ClassificationType_S tring%7c0%7c%7cp_Family_String%7c0%7c%7cp_Year_Str ing%7c1%7c%7cp_SequenceNum_Int32%7c0&__N=2994%202951%204294939368%204294842695%20429484 8214&silo=1301&__No=15&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=26&__sid=124242F725D6

cme2c
30-10-2009, 02:55 PM
I think all Mk VIs have a phone button (my 118TSI certainly does). It doesn't do anything, though.

Splashalot
30-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I want a leather sunroof! :banana:

Especially a candy white one!

g20
30-10-2009, 08:45 PM
You mind mentioning the dealer you purchased that from? That is exceptional. Firstly the Corporate Discount is apparently not available anywhere else right now, and also, that car should be $53630.24 without the corporate discount, which means $51k drive away is still at least A saving!

Hmm probably not a nice to mention the dealer
but its in south west sydney

Dubya
31-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Ultimately the only thing those strips are good for is protecting the paint on the edge of your door when YOU open the door into something flat. With so many taller cars (4WDs, SAV's etc) they're mostly useless.

I'm not convinced.

Dubya
31-10-2009, 11:35 AM
I asked about new discrete features (specifically not qualitative changes) on the new GTI and got replies that mostly referred to improvements in design. Improvements in a new model are expected even without a price increase (but the Mark VI is certainly not at the 2005 price as was suggested).

Apart from XDL and a knee airbag, can anyone name new standard equipment on Mark VI GTI?

Corey_R
31-10-2009, 12:46 PM
(but the Mark VI is certainly not at the 2005 price as was suggested).

I apologise. In the 5 years since introduction, the 5 door manual GTI has gone up $500, and the 5 door DSG has gone up $700.
Volkswagen Golf GTI 5dr Manual 2005 (http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/details.aspx?R=107619&__Nne=3&Cr=0&__Ns=p_Make_String|0||p_ClassificationType_String| 0||p_Family_String|0||p_Year_String|1||p_SequenceN um_Int32|0&__N=2994%204294939368%204294842695%204294965654%20 4294911969&__Qpb=true&SearchAction=N&seot=1&silo=1300&__No=0&trecs=2&__sid=124AAD3A8872)
Volkswagen Golf GTI 5dr DSG 2005 (http://www.redbook.com.au/used-cars/details.aspx?R=107620&__Qpb=true&Cr=1&__Ns=p_Make_String|0||p_ClassificationType_String| 0||p_Family_String|0||p_Year_String|1||p_SequenceN um_Int32|0&SearchAction=N&__N=2994%204294939368%204294842695%204294965654%20 4294911969&silo=1300&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=2&__sid=120735732333)

The price rise occured in the MY09 model...

Still... that new fancy touchscreen also includes a 6 disc CD stacker.... so effectively the new GTI is CHEAPER than it was 5 years ago.... ;) :D

Corey_R
31-10-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not convinced.

Look at most new cars... whether from Audi, VW, BMW, or even brands like Mazda, Holden, Ford... most new cars just don't have these trip strips.

If you park at a shopping centre and the car next to you have their 'outmost edge' 5 cm about your side strip, then it will still hit your car. Same with shopping trollies etc.

EndlessMKI
31-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Hmm probably not a nice to mention the dealer
but its in south west sydney

the botany dealer quoted us that today......but you will not get the corp discount(qantas) in the first bactch of gti's. u'd have to wait till april.

i gotta admit I wasn't wowed test driving it today.......seemed abit slow with just myself and the wife.....maybe the motor needs abit more running in.

the DSG is quite amazing.......did not feel any loss in momentum between the gears.

very solid car overall.

Corey_R
31-10-2009, 04:30 PM
i gotta admit I wasn't wowed test driving it today.......seemed abit slow with just myself and the wife.....maybe the motor needs abit more running in.
A trip down to European Autotech (http://www.europeanautotech.com.au/) will fix that. They're the Sydney agent for Harding Performance, and can perform the APR ECU update on the spot. It's an essential upgrade for anyone with a GTI :)

mattyf83
31-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I bought a standard candy white GTI today, am getting quote on the black motorsport 18's.

I asked about bluetooth and they offered an aftermarket system? IS there anyway to get a volkswagen intergrated system so the controls on the steering wheel/stero can be used? There is a currently inoperative phone button on the stereo.

I loved the test drive too,

jatkins
31-10-2009, 08:04 PM
hey congrats on your purchase! i'm heading to my dealership tomorrow for a test drive...if you haven't ordered blue tooth already...there are some pretty good threads in the audio section about aftermarket systems that are as good if not better than some of the dealer options offered...they're usually a fair bit cheaper even if you pay to get the install done

depending on the one you end up choosing will depend on the features but you can definitely get the steering wheel buttons integrated

Tyko
01-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi,

I posted this question in the newbie section this morning as I didn't have access to this thread initially, but its probably more appropiate here.

After some heavy negiotating I got a quote for a standard 5dr mk 6 GTI for $46k (on road) with a $500 fuel voucher, this includes the $1500 corporate discount. It doesn't seem as good a deal, as the 47.5 K someone else is paying for a GTI with a sunroof and leather seats. My dealer is adament that the corporate discount is $1500 this time, not $4000.

I was just wondering if a few other people could put what they have been quoted on this forum so I can get a better idea if this is a reasonable price.

Any ideas what extras I should ask for and how much I should expect to pay for them?

Any thoughts, comments, opinions or other quotes people have received are all greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mattyf83
01-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Sounds good to me. The 47.5 for the sunroof,leather, DSG sounded almost too good to be true. The dealer is basically throwing money away, for that price with those specs before release.

I paid a tiny bit extra than you, but got bluetooth, window tint and am gettting cost price quote on vw motorsport rims, and tyres. The quote takes into consideration trade vlaue from stock 17s and tyres.

500 fuel voucher is handy, well done.

Corey_R
01-11-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah sounds good to me, since most dealers are swearing blind that the corporate discount is not applicable to the GTI yet....

Tyko
01-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I just reread my thread and realised I hadn't mentioned that it included DSG (by standard I meant no other extra features like sunroof, leather seats etc.) Although I'm still a bit torn about getting DSG, as I usually much prefer manual cars and with the new GTIs its seems that the manual cars are now as fast as the DSG version, although I'm not really sure how that is possible given it should take longer to change gears on a manual compared to a car with DSG. I think I also read somewhere that the manual also lets you know the best gear to be in to maximise fuel efficiency, which would be quite handy (has anyone else heard of this).

So it seems like a reasonable price, unless I can get g20 to come and negotiate for me!

Lima
01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
...I think I also read somewhere that the manual also lets you know the best gear to be in to maximise fuel efficiency, which would be quite handy (has anyone else heard of this)...

Yes, and I think it is available in lower spec Golfs too (its been discussed somewhere in this forum recently). My S3 has a similar feature and it's quite good if you're in saving fuel mode. Also reminds you what gear you are currently in, haha.

Corey_R
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I just reread my thread and realised I hadn't mentioned that it included DSG (by standard I meant no other extra features like sunroof, leather seats etc.) Although I'm still a bit torn about getting DSG, as I usually much prefer manual cars and with the new GTIs its seems that the manual cars are now as fast as the DSG version, although I'm not really sure how that is possible given it should take longer to change gears on a manual compared to a car with DSG. I think I also read somewhere that the manual also lets you know the best gear to be in to maximise fuel efficiency, which would be quite handy (has anyone else heard of this).

I really liked the DSG. I love driving, but to me the process of pushing in the clutch is not a necessary factor for that enjoyment.

As for the revised 0 to 100 figures for the manual. I personally believe that the DSG version is also slightly quicker than with the MKV, but to avoid the contraversy surrounding the 'hesitation' that the DSG has when starting from 0km/h, they just left the time as the same as the manual. But you're right, for the average person, the DSG will be quicker.

In relation to the 'shift indicator' that the manual has to show you when it is best to shift for economy - the DSG doesn't need this, it already shifts for what's best for economy when you have it in D and you're just driving 'casually'.

Congrats on your purchase mate, you're going to love it :)

erko
01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
mattyf83, let us know how you get on with the Motorsport wheels.

Corporate Plus pricing is definately available

Manual
Carbon Steel Grey
ACC
Mats

$44,064

Corey_R
01-11-2009, 07:29 PM
If you got corporate discount on that car, and it's a 3dr, then it's an okish price. If it's a 5dr, then it's good :)

erko
01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
sorry, thats 5 door.

im thinking about other options though now :banana:

Corey_R
01-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Cools. So the drive away price for that configuration (mats are a standard feature) is ~$47855.24 in NSW. So the fact that you've got ~$3800 discount on a car on the weekend it is released is quite good! I'd be happy with that.
I think what this is showing (cause there have been a few that have been able to get discounts) is that with the economy not having quite recovered fully yet, there are dealers willing to haggle. So keep at it boys. And keep putting in what you've managed to get to help the other prospective buyers out! :D

mattyf83
01-11-2009, 10:59 PM
mattyf83, let us know how you get on with the Motorsport wheels.

Corporate Plus pricing is definately available

Manual
Carbon Steel Grey
ACC
Mats

$44,064

Well done, DSG adding 2k im still satisfied with my price with the tint and bluetooth. My biggest gripe is that the media in (ipod total connectivity) is a 225 option. Make that standard FFS. I hope mats are standard, they are in my polo gti. I saw a carbon steel, great colour, and i would have got a man, but with the dsg my gf can drive me home from the pub.

Corey_R
02-11-2009, 03:12 AM
My biggest gripe is that the media in (ipod total connectivity) is a 225 option. Make that standard FFS. I hope mats are standard, they are in my polo gti.

If you mean the MDI which goes in the centre console and provides a USB port (which is actually a $270 inc GST option), for which you then need to buy the iPod, USB or mini USB connection cable separately, should be standard, then yes I agree. If you're saying that the proprietary iPod cable should be standard, then I TOTALLY disagree. I'm getting SO SICK of the arrogance of iPod owners who forget about the hundreds of other products on the market which other people select to own, and I don't want to pay for something that I don't need, just because Apple wish to use a proprietary connector so that they have another money grab from their customers and other equipment manufacturers! :)

As for floor mats. Carpet mats are standard front and rear.

Hail
02-11-2009, 06:55 AM
Well to give people an idea, you can make some savings.

I'm picking up mine this week and I paid $53,600 onroad with the following:

Golf GTI 3 door red
DSG
Leather
18" Detroits
Tints
Sunroof
Park Assist
Rear camera
MDI including Apple ipod cable

I think RRP was $56k for the above specs

Corey_R
02-11-2009, 08:03 AM
I come up with $56013.74 on the road in NSW for that configuration, plus whatever the cost of the iPod cable is.

erko
02-11-2009, 09:03 AM
Just speaking with my sales guy about the black 18' motorsport wheels. I know the guy through an other car forum and he is an enthusiast and knows his stuff. Its very rare for a car salesman in my experience :)

Cost price is $885 each no tyres, and he reckons they are poor value, given that the are just cast (not forged) and not particularly light. Apparently was a point of discussion in this mornings sales meeting!

So im definately going aftermarket for my 18's either German or Japanese.

Corey_R
02-11-2009, 10:00 AM
Yeah - on my MKV GTI I aquired a set of 18" Oettinger rims designed specifically for the Golf from European Autotech/Harding Performance. They are from Germany and apparently made by BBS. They were around that price, so I'd agree with the dealer that the VW Motorsport Rims are not great value.

erko
02-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah, you can even buy BBS CH locally for $870 in 18x8. I know which way i'd go.

jatkins
02-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Well to give people an idea, you can make some savings.

I'm picking up mine this week and I paid $53,600 onroad with the following:

Golf GTI 3 door red
DSG
Leather
18" Detroits
Tints
Sunroof
Park Assist
Rear camera
MDI including Apple ipod cable

thats an awesome price on roads...i'm pretty sure i went and had a look at your car last weekend, the dealership at chatswood by chance? the dealer told me it was already sold and it had the same specs as above....

i took another one for a test-drive and to be honest if my impatience for the R gets the better of me, i'll be getting the same spec as you but in Candy White...any reason for not opting for the Bi-Xenon's?

the dealer told me that pretty much all the allocation has been sold except for about 50 cars...and not many around with xenon's nor many coming...he also said that some guy's spec was wrong when it arrived and they quoted him a 6 month wait on getting it over here....i think he decided to order an R instead...but surely that same problem can happen again?? im not too keen on waiting till june only to find out that they've over specced the car and they try to stick me to options i dont want.....

mattyf83
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
Does that price take trade in of current rims and rubber?

Im getting cost price quote on wheels and rubber and i'm thinking price might be closer to $2200 for everything

Hail
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
thats an awesome price on roads...i'm pretty sure i went and had a look at your car last weekend, the dealership at chatswood by chance? the dealer told me it was already sold and it had the same specs as above....

i took another one for a test-drive and to be honest if my impatience for the R gets the better of me, i'll be getting the same spec as you but in Candy White...any reason for not opting for the Bi-Xenon's?

the dealer told me that pretty much all the allocation has been sold except for about 50 cars...and not many around with xenon's nor many coming...he also said that some guy's spec was wrong when it arrived and they quoted him a 6 month wait on getting it over here....i think he decided to order an R instead...but surely that same problem can happen again?? im not too keen on waiting till june only to find out that they've over specced the car and they try to stick me to options i dont want.....

No wasn't from Chatswood. For the extra price to have Bi-Xenon's its not worth it for me personally. I originally wanted White, but when i saw the red, I had to have it! Yeah I heard not many with xenon's at all, ACC was hard to come by too!

Send me a PM if you want to know who I bought my car from. The guys I bought it from couldn't do enough for me (service & price).

erko
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Does that price take trade in of current rims and rubber?

Im getting cost price quote on wheels and rubber and i'm thinking price might be closer to $2200 for everything

no, no trade in on current wheels. That would obviously reduce price but would likely vary from dealer to dealer.

dave_r
02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Went past a dealer to get some info on the upcoming R and see the GTI. They only have 5 doors and was told 3 doors available early next year. Given the outgoing DSG R32 and sunroof is about 68k RRP and pricing indications are similar for the R, then I have to decide if I want to spend the money.

3dr
DSG
Candy White
Leather
Sunroof

Didn't try any negotiations but comes to $51970 RRP. Have to check if I can get corporate discount, I know we do with other manufacturers. I wouldn't be buying unless I can get it for under $48k. I'm resisting a GTI test drive as I know I'll get impatient and just buy then regret not waiting for the R hehe

Just don't like the standard GTI wheels, nothing aftermarket can't fix but its extra money that shouldn't need to be spent!

Corey_R
02-11-2009, 12:14 PM
For the extra price to have Bi-Xenon's its not worth it for me personally.
I'm not sure if people really get a chance to test drive cars at night to really experience the difference it makes. But having owned a car with Bi-Xenon's, it feels really strange (and very dark!) to go back to a car with regular lights.

Hail
02-11-2009, 01:27 PM
^^^ We own a 335i with m sport kit and that has bi-xenon's.. agreed it makes a huge difference but I don't do much night time driving so I wont get the use out of the xenons, personally.

DonkeyKong
02-11-2009, 02:43 PM
Golf GTI 5 door + Metalic
DSG
18" Detroits
Park Assist
Rear camera
Adaptive chassis control
Carbon Steel Grey
$49000

aeon
02-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Damn, great price, corporate discount?

DonkeyKong
02-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Yes Corp discount. He claims I have got a very good price from him but I really don't know that. The Adaptive chassis was an after thought. I paid the full price for that after signing. I have heard about the adaptive chassis many months ago from a friend but forgot all about this on the day. Guess I have not done my study. It was $47500 before the adaptive chassis add on.

Corey_R
02-11-2009, 05:39 PM
@DonkeyKong - My GTI spreadsheet calculator has your configuration at ~$53735.25 driveaway in NSW. So you've got a fairly nice discount there. Congrats :)

lawsy82
02-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I have enquired on the following,

3 door white
6sp manual
18inch wheels
Leather
Adaptive Chassis Control
MDI

I live in QLD and I think drive away is $50,600. I have told him $45,000 and you have ur self a deal.. I shall keep u guys posted!

jatkins
03-11-2009, 07:52 AM
@DonkeyKong - My GTI spreadsheet calculator has your configuration at ~$53735.25 driveaway in NSW. So you've got a fairly nice discount there. Congrats :)

do you have a link for this spreadsheet bro? i think i've got your Golf R one and its awesome...

cheers

Corey_R
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
do you have a link for this spreadsheet bro? i think i've got your Golf R one and its awesome...

cheers

Thanks for the feedback. Sure, here is a link:
Golf GTI Calculator for NSW (http://members.iinet.net.au/~coreying/VW/Golf GTI Calculator for NSW.xls)
:)

erko
03-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Golf GTI 5 door + Metalic
DSG
18" Detroits
Park Assist
Rear camera
Adaptive chassis control
Carbon Steel Grey
$49000

good price.

Just got a new quote

5 Door
Metallic
DSG
ACC
Tint

$47000

lawsy82
03-11-2009, 01:05 PM
good price.

Just got a new quote

5 Door
Metallic
DSG
ACC
Tint

$47000

Thats not a great deal... Marginal discount there

erko
03-11-2009, 01:49 PM

RRP OTR would be $50,900

thats 47k no push from my side......not a bad starting point.

Corey_R
03-11-2009, 01:53 PM
good price.

Just got a new quote

5 Door
Metallic
DSG
ACC
Tint

$47000

I'm not sure where lawsy82 is looking up his prices, but that configuration should be ~$50,900.24 on the road in NSW. So the fact you've been able to get almost $4k discount is actually quite awesome. Especially since you mentioned nothing about corporate discount.

Edit: Heh! You posted just as I was writing this.... Show's you how accurate my calculator spreadsheet is! ;) :D

erko
03-11-2009, 01:55 PM
yep. lawsy is off the mark.

Corporate discount will apply to the 47k.....but bear in mind thats first quote, no push. i think its quite good as a starting point!

im going to get some 18' BBS CH and have dealer fit and include on sale contract too.

Corey_R
03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
im going to get some 18' BBS CH and have dealer fit and include on sale contract too.

Post a link to a picture of the wheels/colour that you're thinking of if you can :)

Tyko
03-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks Coreying for the excel program, that makes it very easy to work out how good a deal you're getting with all the add ons.

I was just wondering, does anyone know if the GTI mk6 has the automatic distance control in Australia, I was reading that it is an optional extra on GTIs overseas. I haven't seen it as an extra for the Australian GTI, so I was wondering (hoping!) it might be standard here. It sounds very useful for highway driving.

The blue tooth add on seems very expensive, do the after market add on work just as well?

erko
03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Heres some BBS CH in Silver. They are also available in Black. I have looked at other wheels......but you cant beat German wheels on a German car i reckon :cool:http://www.harrisonmotorsports.com/shop/images/CH_DSK_sm.jpg

Golf Houso
03-11-2009, 03:25 PM
^^^ Be sure to get some staggered wheel sizes i.e. 18x8 and 18x9.5 for the rear!

Corey_R
03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
You'd need to make sure the offsets are also appropriately adjusted as well, if you wanted your car to pass inspection (rear wheel protruding from bodywork etc!)

erko
03-11-2009, 03:47 PM
^^^ Be sure to get some staggered wheel sizes i.e. 18x8 and 18x9.5 for the rear!

In a FWD? LOL. Just what we need, proportionally more rear grip = more understeer.

You'd need to make sure the offsets are also appropriately adjusted as well, if you wanted your car to pass inspection (rear wheel protruding from bodywork etc!)

18x8 +50 no worries.

ricksterrr
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks Coreying for the excel program, that makes it very easy to work out how good a deal you're getting with all the add ons.

I was just wondering, does anyone know if the GTI mk6 has the automatic distance control in Australia, I was reading that it is an optional extra on GTIs overseas. I haven't seen it as an extra for the Australian GTI, so I was wondering (hoping!) it might be standard here. It sounds very useful for highway driving.

The blue tooth add on seems very expensive, do the after market add on work just as well?

Pretty sure we don't have the fancy Adaptive Cruise Control system that the europeans get as an option.

Our cruise control is just the standard one i.e. it won't monitor the car in front of you and brake automatically.

In relation to the bluetooth add on, you should do a search for the Fiscon Bluetooth kit... there should be numerous threads out there.

Edit: Here are some threads on the Fiscon kit. Apparently it works very well for most people - relatively simple installation (if you've got experience with installing bits in cars), more functional than the VW basic bluetooth kit, integrates with the car audio system and the multi-function steering wheel (not the phone button but via the navigation buttons), displays caller's numbers via the MFD etc... still quite pricey for a bluetooth kit, though.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=33530
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=126564.0

Golf Houso
03-11-2009, 04:02 PM
In a FWD? LOL. Just what we need, proportionally more rear grip = more understeer.

18x8 +50 no worries.

Its going to look silly in the back, 8 inch wheels are really not very wide. You're going to be kicking yourself every day once you see a MKIV - MKVI with some nice wide staggered wheels.

And there is no impact on handling, an improvement if anything from the car I've driven with the above suggested set up!

erko
03-11-2009, 04:26 PM
sorry, i dont agree. I wont be kicking myself for not getting 9.5s which are a defect in NSW, and i wont kick myself when for not upsetting the chassis balance. this is basic car set up.......yes it will affect the handling. Adding grip at one end and not the other changes handling characteristics.........more rear grip = more front push, less lift off oversteer used for tightening a line in a FWD. 8's are plenty wide for a shopping trolley....imho....I would reckon it would look better though

Golf Houso
03-11-2009, 04:32 PM
sorry, i dont agree. I wont be kicking myself for not getting 9.5s which are a defect in NSW, and i wont kick myself when for not upsetting the chassis balance. this is basic car set up.......yes it will affect the handling. Adding grip at one end and not the other changes handling characteristics.........more rear grip = more front push, less lift off oversteer used for tightening a line in a FWD. 8's are plenty wide for a shopping trolley....imho....I would reckon it would look better though

The rears will fit in the guards perfectly, a number of members on here have similar set-ups on their cars and have never encountered any problems during a police inspection.

As for changing the suspension geometry, I don't have an opinion on that is I'll admit to not understanding the MKV chassis and this topic in general.

Although what I will say is that your car as with 99.9% of all MKVI's will most likely never be tracked or driven heavily to the point where such things really come into play. Although I could be completely wrong in your case.

Regardless, enjoy the car and consider the 9.5's!!! :banana::P

Corey_R
03-11-2009, 04:36 PM
18x8 +50 no worries.

In fact, 18x8.5 + 50 (which is what the Oettinger's are) and you'd have no worries*. But 18x9.5 and you'd be illegal. But, like you're saying, I think it's completely unnecessary for the GTI :)

The rears will fit in the guards perfectly, a number of members on here have similar set-ups on their cars and have never encountered any problems during a police inspection

Sorry man. I'd have to disagree, from having had the 8.5" 50 offset Oettinger wheels on my GTI. They just fit, but an additional inch would definitely not fit unless the offset was adjusted. You'd need to at least provide some more details of what their offsets are etc.

*With the 8.5" width, I actually hit the guards are few times on corning heavy corning and going over a bump at a decent speed... but the rears were always fine.

Golf Houso
03-11-2009, 04:40 PM
A member on here Tim, has a MKV with Audi TT 19x9.5's ET45 on the rear and they clear the guards and from what I can tell does not have any real issues with his guards on the back.

erko
03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
The rears will fit in the guards perfectly, a number of members on here have similar set-ups on their cars and have never encountered any problems during a police inspection.

As for changing the suspension geometry, I don't have an opinion on that is I'll admit to not understanding the MKV chassis and this topic in general.

Although what I will say is that your car as with 99.9% of all MKVI's will most likely never be tracked or driven heavily to the point where such things really come into play. Although I could be completely wrong in your case.

Regardless, enjoy the car and consider the 9.5's!!! :banana::P

its a defect. you can check RTA hand book. +1inch width on standard is max. You need an engineers cert for anything beyond. Im not worried about getting done in a car check, more around insurance in the event of a major accident.

its not a question of geometry, but one of grip. I have played around with car set up in the past and i can tell you its the case. Not just me, any book on race car set up will tell you the same. applies to road cars equally.

cool, well in that case lets just put nankangs on them and hard park them at maccas :P ...i like to balance form and function :banana:

cheers
rob

SORRY GUYS FOR THE HIJACK - LETS GET BACK ON TOPIC !

Corey_R
03-11-2009, 08:03 PM
A member on here Tim, has a MKV with Audi TT 19x9.5's ET45 on the rear and they clear the guards and from what I can tell does not have any real issues with his guards on the back.

If the Audi TT 19" wheels are 9.5" wide, then they'd need to have a unique offset or be modified to fit on the GTI.

This was my car (sorry for the photo not being better targetted to the rear wheels... I only have limited pictures before the bus ate it).
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/11/Oettinger_GTI_Driveway-1.jpg

They are the Oettinger 18"x8.5 50 offset Type RE wheels specifically for the GTI. They are so close to protuding from the guard at the top (they're very obviously protuding half way down) that even VW questioned whether they were legal when they saw the car. I then pointed them to the Oettinger site to say that they're specifically for this car that they shrugged their shoulders and just agreed with me.

So whilst I have no doubt that you _could_ put 9.5" width wheels on there, they could not possibly be the standard offset for the GTI without being illegal. But as erko has stated I doubt there would be any handling benefit anyway.... though it might look cool from the rear :)

lawsy82
05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
I just had my quote back for the following,

2010 3 door manual - White

MDI
Leather
ACC
18inch wheels
VW mats

Drive away $47,154 ( QLD).

What u guys reckon? I was hoping for $46K

Corey_R
05-11-2009, 12:46 PM
That configuration would be $51078.74 drive away in NSW (QLD would differ slightly). I think considering you've got ~$4k discount, you are doing very well (with corp discount) or unbelievably well (without corp discount). I'd say your dealer must be absolutely desparate if the latter is the case :)

EndlessMKI
05-11-2009, 04:18 PM
It's a crime that HID's aren't standard in 2010.

ricksterrr
05-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Dropped a deposit on:

5 Door DSG, Candy White
Park Assist
Rear View Camera
Dynaudio
Aftermarket Window Tinting
VW Rubber Floor Mats
VW Rubber boot inlay

$47.5k drive away

(With corp discount, obviously)

eugeq
05-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a good price from melbourne dealers. No luck here, no one seems to want to budge on price. Best I can get on a Candy White, 5dr manual with MDI and mats is $44880 drive away.

Any recommendations?

Gav23
06-11-2009, 08:49 AM
I've seen a few advertised on carsales.com.au recently at discounted prices. I'm only going by the options I can visually see on the pic's attached to the advertisements, but if they are the same as what is being sold then there are some real discounts out there.

- 5 Door
- Metallic paint
- DSG
- Sat nav
*Advertised in WA for $48K drive away (works out to be $51,530 on coreying's spreadsheet, a saving of $3,530)

- 5 Door
- Metallic paint
- DSG
- Sat nav
- Sunroof
- Leather seats
*Advertised in QLD for $49,600 drive away (works out to be $56,990 on coreying's spreadsheet, a saving of $7390 - surely this one can't be right?)

Yes, I know some aspects will vary as coreying's spreadsheet is based on NSW, but it is still a good guide to go by and shows that discounts are being offerred before negotiating has even begun (that is of course if the pic's shown in the advertisements are the actual cars being sold).

aeon
06-11-2009, 09:16 AM
That one in WA doesn't say anything about Sat nav - the head unit in the pictures is probably the standard RCD510 system... if so $48k is probably around RRP?

Can't seem to find the QLD one though...

Gav23
06-11-2009, 10:25 AM
My apologies, I assumed the RCD510 was sat nav. So yes, probably around RRP then. My bad :P

lawsy82
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Why arnt we getting the reduction in import duty passed on in our quotes??? Volkswagon are just an absoulete joke.... droppin $50k on a car you expect atleast 8-9% discount plus the reduction in duty equates to a minimum $6k discount per car IMO

aeon
06-11-2009, 02:32 PM
The reduction in import duty doesn't happen until 1st January... Mazda have passed it on to customers already, but other companies haven't and I'm not even sure if they're obliged to either (unless maybe the ACCC has something to say about it?)

Dubya
06-11-2009, 02:36 PM

Really? Sounds very scientific, but BS more like.

If a car is already more prone to understeer than oversteer, increasing rear grip will not cause the front to breakaway earlier than it already does; front grip will be unchanged.

Of course, if a car is prone to oversteer (eg because it has bald tyres or retreads at the rear), improving rear grip could make it understeer instead of oversteer.

But increasing the grip on the "grippier" end of the car will have no effect on the grip at the less grippy end.

Front wheel drive vehicles like the Golf have characteristic understeer and so, all things being equal, more grip at the rear of the car will not alter the point at which the car starts to understeer.

There is no "proportionality" about it at all, erko. "LOL"

Lima
06-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get a good price from melbourne dealers. No luck here, no one seems to want to budge on price. Best I can get on a Candy White, 5dr manual with MDI and mats is $44880 drive away.

Any recommendations?

Just get the car! :banana:

You're looking at a high demand car in the first week of its launch. If you want to save a few $K you'll most likely have to wait a whole amount of time that will seem inconsequential to the time you will have lost by not getting it now.

Sure, get the best deal you can, but I'd rather pay an extra couple of gorillas and have the car rather than chase and chase and chase for something that may not be there.

pologti18t
06-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Why arnt we getting the reduction in import duty passed on in our quotes??? Volkswagon are just an absoulete joke.... droppin $50k on a car you expect atleast 8-9% discount plus the reduction in duty equates to a minimum $6k discount per car IMO

What reality do you live in? "expect a 8-9% discount"?
They can sell as many as they get so why would they just throw money away?

Dubya
06-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Best I can get on a Candy White, 5dr manual with MDI and mats is $44880 drive away. Any recommendations?

If you want to save a few $K you'll most likely have to wait a whole amount of time that will seem inconsequential to the time you will have lost by not getting it now.

I think the"whole amount of time" (which will seem quite long rather than be inconsequential) will actually equal the time you have lost by not getting it now :spin: (as opposed to being inconsequential in comparison).

Whatever the case, some people simply have to know they bought at the best possible price, and ~$45k is more or less full tilt (and carpet mats are included).

eugeq, I'd offer $41k tops, don't budge and see how you go. After all, it is manual, and it is white, and it seems most buyers (here at least) are after options and coloured paint.

Maverick
06-11-2009, 03:49 PM

Why do you expect a minimum 8-9% discount on the plus another 5%? VW advertise a price and unless you can negotiate a discount with the dealer that's the price you pay. Car manufacturers and dealerships aren't charities and something has to pay for the development of vehicles and to maintain the dealerships. I'm happy with the current situation where those that couldn't negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag allow others to get reasonably good discounts.

VW don't have to pass on the reduction in duty and for all you know they have already factored it into the Mark VI pricing.

I'm sure you'd be the first person whining if VW jacked up the prices because of shipping increases or the dollar changing or increased payroll tax or one of the many other taxes and fees that they have to pay which vary up and down. They hold their prices even if our dollar drops 40% so it's a bit rich to expect them to pass on immediately any savings they might or might not make.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

lawsy82
06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Why do you expect a minimum 8-9% discount on the plus another 5%? VW advertise a price and unless you can negotiate a discount with the dealer that's the price you pay. Car manufacturers and dealerships aren't charities and something has to pay for the development of vehicles and to maintain the dealerships. I'm happy with the current situation where those that couldn't negotiate their way out of a wet paper bag allow others to get reasonably good discounts.

VW don't have to pass on the reduction in duty and for all you know they have already factored it into the Mark VI pricing.

I'm sure you'd be the first person whining if VW jacked up the prices because of shipping increases or the dollar changing or increased payroll tax or one of the many other taxes and fees that they have to pay which vary up and down. They hold their prices even if our dollar drops 40% so it's a bit rich to expect them to pass on immediately any savings they might or might not make.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

5% reduction in import duty = 5% reduction FULLSTOP!!!!

once 5% is off - Than we start talking business. Mazda has started passing on the reduction and I cant see why VW have not.

VW like to play hard ball - only supplying a token amount of vehicles, and making people wait 6mths for a bloody GTI - WHAT A JOKE!!!

And mate they have not passed on the saving this came from the dealers mouth.

Maverick
06-11-2009, 06:34 PM

:stupid: Why should it? Volkswagen is a private company and this isn't a communist country.

BTW the 5% duty is on VW's cost not the retail price so it may translate to <3% of the retail price.

once 5% is off - Than we start talking business. Mazda has started passing on the reduction and I cant see why VW have not.

The reduction hasn't started yet, it's January.

Mazda is not Volkswagen, they are different companies operating from different countries.

VW like to play hard ball - only supplying a token amount of vehicles, and making people wait 6mths for a bloody GTI - WHAT A JOKE!!!

The GTI is a new model FFS, there are always supply issues with any new car when they come out especially when it's as popular as the GTI.

You don't have to wait 6 months unless you want a special build, there are Mark VI GTI's sitting in showrooms right now ready to sell.

There are a huge list of options for the GTI and they can't keep one of every single one sitting around in a holding yard just to suit you. They're manufactured in Germany and it takes ~4 months to get one from time of order.

How do you know this? Does the dealer know VW's internal pricing? Nope they don't. VW may have said we'll keep the price of the Mark VI to around that of the Mark V because we have the 5% tariff reduction coming up rather than selling the Mark VI at a higher price and dropping it after 6-9 months and affecting resale values.

Did you complain when our dollar dropped 40% about the dealers continuing to sell the cars for the same price?

No-one is forcing you to buy a VW, if you don't like the prices, or the lead-times, or the options or anything else don't buy one and go and buy a Mazda. :brutal:

philthy
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM

Let your dollars do the talking. Stop complaining and buy a Mazda. They're a nice car.

lawsy82
06-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Let your dollars do the talking. Stop complaining and buy a Mazda. They're a nice car.

Yeah mate I know they are a nice car i already own one hence why im trying to get a new one.. But fuk me at the end of the day its 2010 and the GTI does not have standard

Electric seats
Sat Nav
MDI

just to name a few. Its a joke they price the car supposebly so realistic but who the hell would one standard? Tell me someone who has bought one with no options..... And what pricks charging $3000 for leather - PRICKS!!!!!!!

Ive had a good quote which I have posted here earlier but its not good enough IMO....

Maverick
06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Yeah mate I know they are a nice car i already own one hence why im trying to get a new one.. But fuk me at the end of the day its 2010 and the GTI does not have standard

Electric seats
Sat Nav
MDI

just to name a few. Its a joke they price the car supposebly so realistic but who the hell would one standard? Tell me someone who has bought one with no options..... And what pricks charging $3000 for leather - PRICKS!!!!!!!

Ive had a good quote which I have posted here earlier but its not good enough IMO....

:troll:

Plenty of people don't want those options so why should they pay for them? They options that you can purchase if you want them.

Go and buy a Mazda and see how many of those options you can get...... :brutal:

philthy
06-11-2009, 07:04 PM
:troll:

Plenty of people don't want those options so why should they pay for them? They options that you can purchase if you want them.

Go and buy a Mazda and see how many of those options you can get...... :brutal:

Mazda 3mps luxury comes with 18's, xenons, nav, leather, bose stereo with sub for 45k drive away... but it's not a golf :).

edit: and electric seats and bluetooth

cme2c
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Mazda 3mps luxury comes with 18's, xenons, nav, leather, bose stereo with sub for 45k drive away... but it's not a golf :).

and torque steer.

Sparvo
06-11-2009, 08:26 PM
I have now ordered a new MK 6 GTI, Red, Sunroof, Dynaudio Sound, Adaptive Chassis Control, MDI and local fitted window tint. Vechicle price $ 49600, so don't say you can't get a discount on the new GTI. Approx $ 3200 discount
Re: 5% tarif reduction 01/01/2010
In the sales contract terms and conditions it states: The purchase price may be varied if before delivery, there is a change in the manufacturer's recommended retail price. I have been told by my dealer, should the RRP be reduced, I will get the recudtion as well.

philthy
06-11-2009, 08:49 PM
and torque steer.

At least it comes with a proper diff.

pologti18t
06-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Electric seats
Sat Nav
MDI

LOL... go buy a MPS3.... Apparently its the best hothatch around. Yet, the GTI is the one everyone is lining up to buy.

Yes it has sat nav, elec seats etc... BUT, have you seen the sat nav? Its tiny! How do you upgrade the stereo as its moulded into the dash, Teh seats can't be specced with full leather, No park assist, no sunroof etc etc.

Maverick
06-11-2009, 09:08 PM

There are some pros and cons to packaging up the features of a car like the MPS which has only two trim levels. The GTI on the other hand can be configured exactly how you like and has a much bigger options list.

The MPS has only four colours available. The GTI has five. There is no automatic transmission option and you can't add any options to the base model with the MPS.

So four colours and two models gives only eight variants of cars that Mazda needs to carry. (2 x 4)

The GTI on the other hand is a lot more complex.

4 models
2 transmissions
2 interior finishes
5 colours
2 headunits
2 sub/speaker options
2 mdi option
2 sat nav
2 sat nav/sub/speaker
2 park assist
2 rear view camera
2 park assist with rear view camera
2 adaptive chassis control
2 electric seat (but only on five door)
2 headlights (bi xenon or halogen)
2 alloy wheels
2 privacy glass
2 sunroof

I don't know how many variants that is but it's a lot. VW allow you to customise your car however you want. Sure this could be a pain but you can still choose a car that is coming with a spec that suits or is close.

philthy
06-11-2009, 09:14 PM
After all according to you Volkswagen are ripping you off

Haha, not me, that was the other guy. I was just offering a comparison.

I'm perfectly well aware that I'd have to pony up a bit more coin for an optioned up golf. Lucky I'm not in the market at the moment.

P.S. IMHO as much as the Mazda is a nice car, the interior presentation of the Golf makes it look like a Getz by comparison.

lawsy82
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
I have now ordered a new MK 6 GTI, Red, Sunroof, Dynaudio Sound, Adaptive Chassis Control, MDI and local fitted window tint. Vechicle price $ 49600, so don't say you can't get a discount on the new GTI. Approx $ 3200 discount
Re: 5% tarif reduction 01/01/2010
In the sales contract terms and conditions it states: The purchase price may be varied if before delivery, there is a change in the manufacturer's recommended retail price. I have been told by my dealer, should the RRP be reduced, I will get the recudtion as well.

HAHAHA yeah Im sure you will get a reduction - The dealer is licking ur balls.....

And you reckon $3200 is a good discount?? Mate ur dropping $50K on a hatchback and ur happy with $3200??? **** me people like this make it ***** hard for people like me to get a car at a decent price

Maverick
06-11-2009, 09:27 PM
Haha, not me, that was the other guy. I was just offering a comparison.

Oops sorry :emo_baghead:

Maverick
06-11-2009, 09:31 PM
HAHAHA yeah Im sure you will get a reduction - The dealer is licking ur balls.....

That's a bonus for him than if he's into that sort of thing.

And you reckon $3200 is a good discount?? Mate ur dropping $50K on a hatchback and ur happy with $3200??? **** me people like this make it ***** hard for people like me to get a car at a decent price

If he's happy with it of course he is. It's a new model with a long list of people willing to buy it, the dealers don't have to discount it to sell them. $3200 discount on a $50,000 car is pretty good value, you've already said that the dealers won't discount it for you after your ridiculous demands that they drop it by 13-14%.

Clearly you think the car is too expensive, perhaps you'd be better off at the nearest Hyundai dealer where you can buy a car for rock bottom prices that also has 4 wheels and 4 doors. After all it's the same isn't it?

lawsy82
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
That's a bonus for him than if he's into that sort of thing.

If he's happy with it of course he is. It's a new model with a long list of people willing to buy it, the dealers don't have to discount it to sell them. $3200 discount on a $50,000 car is pretty good value, you've already said that the dealers won't discount it for you after your ridiculous demands that they drop it by 13-14%.

Clearly you think the car is too expensive, perhaps you'd be better off at the nearest Hyundai dealer where you can buy a car for rock bottom prices that also has 4 wheels and 4 doors. After all it's the same isn't it?

FYI quote below from the 4th dealer I have dealt with
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had my quote back for the following,

2010 3 door manual - White

MDI
Leather
ACC
18inch wheels
VW mats

Drive away $47,154 ( QLD).

Now - As you can see thats a discount, and according to most people on here " Amazing" but im not impressed. We have to drive this pricks harder... If everyone like old mate above just goes ahead and thinks $3000 off is fantastic than people like me have no chance... I want and will get 10%

lawsy82
06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
**** me its a 3 door turbo hatchback, lets be realistic. Its no BMW or Porsche we are talking about here. There is margins to play with and there is way too many stupid people on here paying stupid prices

hotmercury
06-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm only new on this forum, but mate you are being pretty harsh..

calling people stupid bastards because they didnt push as hard as you would have is a bit over the top isn't it..

At the end of the day, its a free market, and the value of the car is the amount that a person is willing to pay for it..

In your case, you want it for $X but if someone pays $X + $2000 for the same thing, then they clearly value something as being worth $2k.

For example, in this instance, it could be their time, the joy of having it today, or just not wanting to **** around for three weeks and be a keyboard warrior slagging off on forums about a car manufacturer.

I'm not trying to be harsh to you, but realistically thats how i see it.

Maverick
06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
FYI quote below from the 4th dealer I have dealt with

Now - As you can see thats a discount, and according to most people on here " Amazing" but im not impressed. We have to drive this pricks harder... If everyone like old mate above just goes ahead and thinks $3000 off is fantastic than people like me have no chance... I want and will get 10%

You can do whatever you want, but stuffing dealers around on a car that is in short supply isn't going to get you a bigger discount, all you'll end up with is no discount and dealers that won't be willing to help you.

**** me its a 3 door turbo hatchback, lets be realistic. Its no BMW or Porsche we are talking about here. There is margins to play with and there is way too many stupid people on here paying stupid prices

People are paying the price that they negotiate, it's a brand new model and there is limited stock. Call them stupid if you want but I'm sure most of them are either sitting in their cars enjoying them or sitting back eagerly waiting on delivery. You on the other hand are sitting in your chair in front of your computer whining about everything and demanding a huge discount on a car that you clearly are not that interested in and complaining about a car company that you clearly don't like.

If I were a salesman I'd be showing you the door because you're not a customer worth having. There's plenty of customers out there willing to pay a fair price that will be happy afterwards, why deal with someone who demands discounts and will do nothing but complain and whine about everything.

If you want the car pay the price that's on offer or go and buy something else.

hotmercury
06-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Its no BMW or Porsche we are talking about here.

I think one of the things that is also important to note, that whilst the VW is indeed no Porsche, there are definitely benefits of that too. If you are getting super excited now about the cost of the VW then wait till you get in a BMW or Porsche..

I'm currently driving a 911 and its absolutely a ripper of a car, but its not cheap to own/maintain/repair etc..

Having said that, i do personally think some the the VW options are pretty expensive.

MurphyTheElf
07-11-2009, 12:41 AM

Mate, you joined a forum catered to people passionate about Volkswagen AG. I reckon you're barking up the wrong tree.

When I paid over $60k for my (almost) fully optioned GTI, sorry, but your stingy wallet was the furthest thing from my mind. First and foremost on my mind was getting a beautiful car, luxury appointments, performance tweaks and be one of the first in the country to do it. I've never had a nice car, I've wanted a Golf GTI for over 10 years, and now I have one.

I paid close to RRP to get a car the day before it was released. And you know what?... I'm happy, my wife is happy, and anybody that doesn't like it can lick MY balls.

jatkins
07-11-2009, 01:35 AM

cmon guys :troll:

im sure this clown is having the time of his life running around getting the biggest discount "quotes" as possible and telling everyone about it on all sorts of forums!

nice work lawsy you keep it up bud

erko
07-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Really? Sounds very scientific, but BS more like.

If a car is already more prone to understeer than oversteer, increasing rear grip will not cause the front to breakaway earlier than it already does; front grip will be unchanged.

Of course, if a car is prone to oversteer (eg because it has bald tyres or retreads at the rear), improving rear grip could make it understeer instead of oversteer.

But increasing the grip on the "grippier" end of the car will have no effect on the grip at the less grippy end.

Front wheel drive vehicles like the Golf have characteristic understeer and so, all things being equal, more grip at the rear of the car will not alter the point at which the car starts to understeer.

There is no "proportionality" about it at all, erko. "LOL"

really? you need rear slip for power OFF oversteer to tighten the line and fight understeer....adding more rear grip reduces this ability, which means more understeer. The level of front grip is NOT this issue, its the change in the balance of grip levels from front to rear. Clearly, you dont have much experience beyond getting groceries so im not going to bother explaining it you further.

LOL.

dave_r
07-11-2009, 04:29 PM

I agree with you on the prices people accepting are really not much of a discount but with supply and demand that is how it is. I'm finding it had to justify ~$50k on a 3dr DSG with leather/sunroof but if you want it, what can you do?

But I wouldn't be taking aim at others because they're willing to settle for a lower discount than yourself!

The level of front grip is NOT this issue, its the change in the balance of grip levels from front to rear

Yeah I definitely woudn't be playing with wheel sizes like has been suggested without expecting a negative change in handling. To say it won't effect anything is insane.

lawsy82
07-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Deposit down - Will be delivered in early March... I got the following

3 door white
manual
Chassis Control
Rear camera
18inch wheels
MDI
Leather

Drive away $46,897. Was a little more than I budgeted but given the demand issues was prob the best I can do at this stage.

If anyone in Brisbane is serious about buying a GTI, PM me and i can let you know where to go and where not to bother. I have pretty much been to every dealer in QLD obtaining quotes - so I may be assistance for you.

philthy
07-11-2009, 06:58 PM
Deposit down - Will be delivered in early March... I got the following

3 door white
manual
Chassis Control
Rear camera
18inch wheels
MDI
Leather

Drive away $46,897. Was a little more than I budgeted but given the demand issues was prob the best I can do at this stage.

If anyone in Brisbane is serious about buying a GTI, PM me and i can let you know where to go and where not to bother. I have pretty much been to every dealer in QLD obtaining quotes - so I may be assistance for you.

I would have pushed them for 45. .j:

eugeq
07-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Signed the deal today!

5DR CANDY WHITE GTI
MDI
MANUAL
MATS

$44500

I could have have ordered and waited till next year (feb or march) for delivery of my vehicle and the dealer would have knocked off another $2000, but nah... I get into my new GTI on MON!!!! WOO HOO!!! Can't wait!

I've been offered an extended further 3 years warranty for $1600, that means total of 6 years of new car warranty. Any one took this option?

Rocket
07-11-2009, 11:32 PM
Signed the deal today!

5DR CANDY WHITE GTI
MDI
MANUAL
MATS

$44500

I could have have ordered and waited till next year (feb or march) for delivery of my vehicle and the dealer would have knocked off another $2000, but nah...

Congrats! but that is full retail! you couldn't negotiate anything off?

eugeq
08-11-2009, 12:18 AM

According to vic pricing, I got $1200 off plus the MDI had to be dealer fitted as it came without.

There weren't any more white manuals left for drive away now. I got 3 statewide brokers calling around for me and I visited a couple of dealers in Melbourne and they've all said I can order one in and get a much better discount, I've had quotes of $42500 drive away but I had to wait till next year most likely march.

My current vehicle is just about due for a $2500 fix up so I guess that balances things out a little.

Anyway I get to drive it on Mon instead of 5-6 mths later. Works for me!

ricksterrr
08-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Congrats, euge!! Can definitely understand if you're willing to pay the extra $2000 to get one tomorrow... the expected 3-5 month wait that they've estimated for me will be excruciating.

Post some pics up when you get it! I think you'll be the 2nd one of the forum to (publicly) receive delivery of their mk6 GTI.

DonkeyKong
08-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Congratulation with your GTI. I envy you. I thought VW has already fixed up the production line and they claim to guarantee it winthin 3 months from the time of order.

Corey_R
08-11-2009, 09:21 AM

Please understand pricing before making comments like that. The car would be ~$46,883.64 on the roads, so he's obviously got a nice little discount on the car.

You don't want to end up looking like lawsy82 who goes around insulting people for a $3200 discount, then only presents a $3400 discount as defense (although he did end up with a $3900 discount eventually - still nowhere near the best we've seen though).

lawsy82
08-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Please understand pricing before making comments like that. The car would be ~$46,883.64 on the roads, so he's obviously got a nice little discount on the car.

You don't want to end up looking like lawsy82 who goes around insulting people for a $3200 discount, then only presents a $3400 discount as defense (although he did end up with a $3900 discount eventually - still nowhere near the best we've seen though).

FYI I got $4,205 off retail price.... The drive away price for my vehicle was $51,102. And I also negotiated an awesome trade in for my MK5 - $30K...

Ive yet to hear of anyone getting this amount off

Rocket
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM

You don't want to end up looking like lawsy82 who goes around insulting people for a $3200 discount,

I was not insulting, the first thing i said was "congrats". I was asking a fair question you stu.......

with these specs
5DR CANDY WHITE GTI 40490
MDI 270
MANUAL 0
MATS 90

$44500

i calculated it to be 40490 +270 + 0 + 90 = 40850
plus 1020ish (SD) 2995 (deliv) 615ish (Rego) = 45480ish. So yes a small discount, and no i was not insulting, as I said, congrats, and euge answered my post stating he got $1200 off. Whats it to you. Its a forum of free speech. All this info will assist me with my purchase so I thank euge for his input and ask coreying to back off. lawsy nor i have said nothing wrong.

lawsy82
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
I was not insulting, the first thing i said was "congrats". I was asking a fair question you stu.......

with these specs
MDI 270
MANUAL 0
MATS 90

$44500

plus 1020ish (SD) 2995 (deliv) 615ish (Rego) = 45480ish. So yes a small discount, and no i was not insulting, as I said, congrats, and euge answered my post stating he got $1200 off. Whats it to you. Its a forum of free speech. All this info will assist me with my purchase so I thank euge for his input and ask coreying to back off. lawsy nor i have said nothing wrong.

Look at the end of the day this thread is used for people to mention what they have been quoted or what they bought for. As I have said before if someone is excited over a $1,000 discount thats good - But that doesnt excite me.

I drove hard to get the car what I got it for, and although some people have told me to buy a Hyundai, and whatever else I continue to post as a guide for people too see what you can get a new golf for, if you try.

Im not a rich person and I just want the best possible price.

Maverick
08-11-2009, 11:35 AM
FYI I got $4,205 off retail price.... The drive away price for my vehicle was $51,102. And I also negotiated an awesome trade in for my MK5 - $30K...

So you didn't really get $4205 off the retail price as a trade was involved.

The prices that others have quoted are pure discount with no trade, your figure is useless as a comparison due to the trade in being of unknown value to the dealer. It's entirely possible they're picking up $32,000 for your car wholesale so your real discount is in fact $2205 or even $34,000 for it which drops your discount to a measly $205!

Doesn't look so crash hot now does it and nowhere near the 13-14% you were demanding!

Maverick
08-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Look at the end of the day this thread is used for people to mention what they have been quoted or what they bought for. As I have said before if someone is excited over a $1,000 discount thats good - But that doesnt excite me.

I drove hard to get the car what I got it for, and although some people have told me to buy a Hyundai, and whatever else I continue to post as a guide for people too see what you can get a new golf for, if you try.

Your discount was far from what you were claiming and you had a go at everyone for being losers for not achieving your claimed 13-14% discount. If people are happy with their deal you don't need to have a go at them for not achieving more and try and ruin the new car experience.

jatkins
08-11-2009, 02:08 PM

lawsy, when i grow up i wanna be just like you

jatkins
08-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Look at the end of the day this thread is used for people to mention what they have been quoted or what they bought for

and yeah you're right thats exactly what its for not for crap like this

lawsy82
08-11-2009, 05:03 PM
So you didn't really get $4205 off the retail price as a trade was involved.

The prices that others have quoted are pure discount with no trade, your figure is useless as a comparison due to the trade in being of unknown value to the dealer. It's entirely possible they're picking up $32,000 for your car wholesale so your real discount is in fact $2205 or even $34,000 for it which drops your discount to a measly $205!

Doesn't look so crash hot now does it and nowhere near the 13-14% you were demanding!

My price is with no trade... The price was negotiated and signed as a seperate transaction to the sale of my vehicle.

I still have my MK5 but was told by the dealer they would give me $30K - cheque on the spot....

My discount of 13% is still probable - as when the 5% reduction is passed on in January this reduce my car by a further $1,800

lawsy82
08-11-2009, 05:04 PM
lawsy, when i grow up i wanna be just like you

You cant be like me - I dominate too much

Gav23
08-11-2009, 08:50 PM
My discount of 13% is still probable - as when the 5% reduction is passed on in January this reduce my car by a further $1,800

So your dealer confirmed VAG will be passing on the 5% reduction?

lawsy82
08-11-2009, 08:59 PM
So your dealer confirmed VAG will be passing on the 5% reduction?

I was told by the sales manager that VW would be passing on the legislation - and when this happens the price of my vehicle will be reduced accordingly. I have added this clause in my contract, that in the event from Jan 1 if the reduction in levy is not passed on in full - I will be pulling out of the deal. think the reduction equates to around $1,600ish.

Corey_R
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM

with these specs
MDI 270
MANUAL 0
MATS 90

$44500

It's not that you were insulting, and it's nothing to do with free speech. It's the fact that you don't understand how car prices are calculated. And there have been a few people coming in here recently and chastising people over the prices they've paid without understanding how car prices are even set at point of sale - which is what you seemed to be doing by saying that it was the RRP when it wasn't. I apologise if you weren't intending to convey that though.

As for your calculations, your car and option prices are correct, except mats are included in the GTI (although, he may have got different ones, so we'll use your figure of 40850). Your stamp duty is out though....

You first add the dealer delivery, of $2995. and the LCT if applicable to the RRP price (in this case not). Stamp duty is then calculated on all that. So it's $1315.35, not 1020ish. In addition to the rego you also have CTP, but at least in NSW rego on this car is only $278 and CTP for a male around 40 in an average suburb of Sydney would be $428 (well this is what VW/Audi are using for guidance anyway). Most people will also opt for the premium plates instead of the old fat yellow/black ones. So the VW 'on the roads guidance price for NSW' comes out to be ~$45,936. The exact figure will obviously vary for location and driver sex and age.

Dubya
09-11-2009, 09:43 AM
really? you need rear slip for power OFF oversteer to tighten the line and fight understeer....adding more rear grip reduces this ability, which means more understeer. The level of front grip is NOT this issue, its the change in the balance of grip levels from front to rear. Clearly, you dont have much experience beyond getting groceries so im not going to bother explaining it you further.

LOL.

You may be right about me not having that much experience. Or maybe not.

But why would you be more inclined to explain this concept to someone if they had more experience (and not be bothered to explain it to someone you think has so little)?

Wouldn't experienced drivers feel like you were telling them how to suck eggs while inexperienced drivers would miss out on your pearls of wisdom?

It seems you have mistaken experience for aptitude or intelligence.

But I was talking about typical road, not dirt or track, driving and, if you are too, I'd hate to be anywhere near you when you use lift-off oversteer to drift your car on a public road.

I don't know what you drive, but in most conditions the Mark V GTI corners like it is on rails and with very neutral handling, especially for a FWD.

So in normal circumstances (whether that be driving to the shops or enthusiastic, but safe, driving on country roads) in which front and rear grip is maintained, more rear grip will not result in more understeer.

So fitting wider wheels to the rear of a GTI should not be detrimental in most circumstances.

But if you mean "more understeer" not in practical terms but in absolute terms (ie under more extreme driving conditions or on a track with an expert such as yourself behind the wheel), then perhaps you could qualify your comments accordingly.

Or do you actually power-off when cornering (your Golf?) on sealed public roads and induce oversteer?

Dubya
09-11-2009, 03:39 PM
My price is with no trade... The price was negotiated and signed as a seperate transaction to the sale of my vehicle.

I still have my MK5 but was told by the dealer they would give me $30K - cheque on the spot....

My local dealer (NSW) has told me today that VGA will not be changing GTI pricing in response to the PMV tariff being cut from 10% to 5%.

The tariff reduction should equate to a 4.55% (not 5%) reduction in RRP (before ORC), as (110-105)/110 = 4.55%).

But if my dealer is correct, VGA is going to trouser the saving . . . at least for the time being.

BigMan
09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
My local dealer told me they will just increase the price when the 5% tariff comes into effect in January. I dont know if i should hold off or not!! 5% is exactly what i need to convince the finance minister

jatkins
09-11-2009, 05:37 PM
5% is exactly what i need to convince the finance minister

by finance minister you mean the missus don't you :P