PDA

View Full Version : MK6 GTI Allocation

Hail
15-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm wondering has anyone received a call regarding allocation for the first batch of GTI's? Spoke with my dealer a couple days ago, and he knows well not much.. and hasn't since I put my deposit down.

Pretty annoyed we spent time picking the options, colour etc etc... for him to tell me the other day "oh you may not get 3door, you may not get white...I'll need to wait and see my allocation...I have heard most of the first cars are cloth interior"

cme2c
15-10-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm wondering has anyone received a call regarding allocation for the first batch of GTI's? Spoke with my dealer a couple days ago, and he knows well not much.. and hasn't since I put my deposit down.

Pretty annoyed we spent time picking the options, colour etc etc... for him to tell me the other day "oh you may not get 3door, you may not get white...I'll need to wait and see my allocation...I have heard most of the first cars are cloth interior"

Do you have a firm order with your options on it? If so, they should make it just for you. Of course, this takes time.

Hail
15-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Do you have a firm order with your options on it? If so, they should make it just for you. Of course, this takes time.

Yes, but from what I understand they did this with the first mk5's? I paid the deposit and signed the contract in August. At no such time was I advised about this allocation business until it was mentioned on here and subsequently confirmed by my dealer a couple days ago...

I might be fortunate enough to get what I'm after, but it's not the point. The dealer should have been forthcoming.

windmagnet
15-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Hail,

My info is that the first shipment of cars is already here and that VWA is currently making allocations to dealers against the pre-orders.

Expect to find out next week how closely they can match the spec of my pre-order. Then I will have to decide whether to compromise, stick with my spec and wait for delivery (which could take quite a while) or buy something else.

Unless you have signed a very unfavourable contract, you could not be compelled to take delivery of a car that does not meet your requirements but you may have to wait longer.

Unconfirmed rumour is that first shipment is largely optioned up so I am surprised by your advice that most cars have cloth seats.

The other thing I read some time ago is that initial shipments will all be 5 door.

From carsales.com some time ago:

Volkswagen Australia's General Manager Press and PR, Karl Gehling, confirmed that the GTI will launch as a five-door-only Down Under.

"We'll launch with five-door only, however, we have offered three-door GTIs and we're not going to rule out that a three-door won't join the range in the future.

I have not bothered to look at the photos of GTI's spotted in Aus to see whether any were 3 door but you might find some comfort/concern there.

Good luck on the match with your specs - just don't pinch my car OK.

aeon
15-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I guess that means I've got little to no chance on getting the spec I want for a reasonable price and time frame... (Standard 5 door White with DSG) My local dealer didn't even mention pre-ordering when I asked them about details - they didn't have any information whatsoever!

Guy_H
15-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Couple of more weeks for ours - Red 5 door manual - no options :)

Hail
15-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks Windmagnet for the post. You'd know more than my dealer, trust me!

I'd be happy to go 5door, as long as it comes with my other options :D

windmagnet
16-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Looks like the previous announcements were wrong (maybe).

This from AusMotive:

This time around the traditional GTI three door model will be available from launch

The pricing also indicates 3 door is available.

Corey_R
16-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I paid the deposit and signed the contract in August. At no such time was I advised about this allocation business until it was mentioned on here and subsequently confirmed by my dealer a couple days ago...

Sounds to me as there was a miscommunication here. If you only signed and paid in August, then it is entirely unreasonable to expect that the car that you optioned would have been built and shipped and through quarantine etc in only 6 to 8 weeks. That would never happen, under any circumstances.

Hopefully the dealer put your order through to be built on the day that you paid your deposit but is now just calling you to say "hey, first shipments are coming through now, if you want to get a GTI earlier, this is what we're getting, do any of them interest you?". I say "hopefully!". I know that there are some incompetent dealers out there.

VW Convert
16-10-2009, 09:47 AM
I know that there are some incompetent dealers out there.

You are the master of understatement with that comment, I think some VW dealers actually take incompetence lessons! :biggrin:

I do agree, it would be extremely unlikely that a car ordered to spec in August would be available so soon.

I actually wonder whether there would be any customer order cars in the first shipment, my guess (only a guess) is that the initial order would have been decided long ago and that the initial shipment would be all spec built cars.

Cheers

George

Hail
16-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks for this info. At the end of the day, wheels are in motion now. I was advised an ETA of Mid Nov and nothing was even hinted regarding "allocation". In the end I'm sure I will find something I'm happy with :), just annoyed that they weren't 100% forthcoming... I would have accepted "we don't know"

Corey_R
16-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah - fair enough! I'm sure once you get the car you'll be so happy that you won't care about the wait! :)

Lima
16-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Looks like the previous announcements were wrong (maybe).

This from AusMotive:

The pricing also indicates 3 door is available.

There have been a few 3drs already spotted in the country, but how many are ready for delivery remains to be seen.

windmagnet
16-10-2009, 01:02 PM
My understanding (which could easily be wrong) is as follows:

There was at least one shipment of GTI's delivered to Aus some time ago. These were largely built on spec.

By placing a pre-order and paying a deposit (before pricing or Aus spec was known) you get into the queue with respect to the new cars that are already here. If one matches what you want and no-one else ahead in the queue takes it (which might include dealer requirements for showroom/demo vehicles), then you will get what you pre-ordered.

If they can't match your spec then (subject to where you sit in the priority list and, I suspect, subject also to the clout of your dealer) you will then get first shot at cars that nearly match your spec.

If nothing suits, then get ready for a long wait.

JasonP
16-10-2009, 07:30 PM
The word is from my local dealer that they only have 6 GTIs allocated to them until the end of the year.
Of those, 2 will be registered as demos.
A "big city" dealer is only getting 10 GTIs until years end, & 3 of them will be registered as demos.

If that's the case, there's little chance of any discounting in the near term......

mtaoz3
16-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Was cruising past the Wodonga dealer today and saw a red GTI being unloaded, a DSG with Nav. It will be their demo I was told.

rich8rd
17-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Told by my dealer today they've got a base spec red dsg one available, must fell through the crack because everyone who preordered wanted their options. Would imagine it won't be too long it finds a home though. :banana:

windmagnet
17-10-2009, 08:54 PM
A "big city" dealer is only getting 10 GTIs until years end, & 3 of them will be registered as demos.

If this is true, I don't like my chances of getting a car this year :frown:. Will wait and see what the official story is on Monday but might be forced to buy something else to drive short term and wait for the R instead.

Hail
17-10-2009, 11:40 PM
If this is true, I don't like my chances of getting a car this year :frown:. Will wait and see what the official story is on Monday but might be forced to buy something else to drive short term and wait for the R instead.

Same, although I'd wait for the gti. I sold my car 3 weeks ago, so yeah was only planning on another 4 weeks without a car. Might have to get a short term ride sorted...

aeon
17-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Sounds like these are going to be fairly hard to come by... maybe I will just get a Mazda3 MPS after all... different sort of car of course, but about $8k cheaper + more available.

Corey_R
17-10-2009, 11:56 PM
Sounds like these are going to be fairly hard to come by... maybe I will just get a Mazda3 MPS after all... different sort of car of course, but about $8k cheaper + more available.

Why would you willingly punish yourself like that ?! ;) :p

rider007
18-10-2009, 05:33 AM
I saw a car transporter heading north on the M1 near Brisbane with at least one black 4 door GTI on board. There were possibly more , I only caught it out of the corner of my eye. I shall investigate my local gold coast holding yards.

pologti18t
18-10-2009, 07:05 AM

How do you figure $8K when the base price is similar to the Golf?

I'd have to be wondering why a dealership would put 3 demos on?

anarchycamp
18-10-2009, 08:08 AM
yeah this happened with the MkVs as well...i got one of the first ones available and was aware that it was going to be a bit hit and miss as to what options were on the car. I paid through the nose for it as well because I wasnt willing to wait 8 months for delivery of my specifications. I even flew down to Melbourne to pick it up :p
!
I ended up paying 51k for RS DSG/Sunroof which is a lot but worth it for me anyway.

GTi Crow
18-10-2009, 08:36 AM
yeah this happened with the MkVs as well...i got one of the first ones available and was aware that it was going to be a bit hit and miss as to what options were on the car. I paid through the nose for it as well because I wasnt willing to wait 8 months for delivery of my specifications. I even flew down to Melbourne to pick it up :p
!
I ended up paying 51k for RS DSG/Sunroof which is a lot but worth it for me anyway.

Agree - did same thing flew from Adelaide to Melbourne to pick up. Had to pay for Sunroof really didn't want just to get colour I wanted and only end up waiting 6 months instead of 10 months.

aeon
18-10-2009, 09:34 AM

Mazda have passed on import tariff cut from 10% to 5% already (doesn't come in place until January 1)... which means, RRP I can get a base model MPS for $42k driveaway (price straight from the website - it used to be about $43.5k driveaway before the tariff cut prices).

Prior to the tariff cut, people were able to get about $2-3k off the RRP driveaway prices quite easily (based on numerous forum posts), so $39-40k driveaway should be quite getable.

Although I guess, my $8k saving was based on the fact I'd get the 5 door DSG model, which isn't too fair a comparison ($42990 + ~$4k on roads), base model GTI would be $40490 + $4k on roads, so I probably should've said about $5k saving not $8k...

But yes, I'd prefer a GTI, but saving money (enough for a decent holiday etc) + earlier delivery is an attractive option... I'm still holding hope my local dealer gets allocated a 5 Door white DSG though... but they don't seem to know anything, whilst southern dealers have been doing pre-orders, have mentioned an allocation system, and even have some delivered to their yards!

I wouldn't mind buying one from interstate, but if they're not going to be doing any discounting, I'll have to pay about $1k - $1.5k extra in delivery costs, or a similar amount in flying down and driving it back up...

JasonP
18-10-2009, 07:13 PM

I'd have to be wondering why a dealership would put 3 demos on?

Apparently that Dealer was told to by VW Australia.

R1 Crasher
18-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Apparently that Dealer was told to by VW Australia.

Where do you get that from?

A dealer is independantly owned, so apart from the fact it would help sales,it can't be told how many demo's to have.

GTi Crow
18-10-2009, 08:50 PM

A dealer is independantly owned, so apart from the fact it would help sales,it can't be told how many demo's to have.

My dealer will have 4 demos.

mikinoz
18-10-2009, 08:51 PM
If you have not been given a VIN yet, from all accounts, you have no surety that you will get your car.

Hail
19-10-2009, 08:09 AM
If you have not been given a VIN yet, from all accounts, you have no surety that you will get your car.

Would all dealers know their allocation by now? I think my dealer genuinely doesn't know, unless the rep I'm talking too just isn't in the know.

I think the way VW have approached the golf release is quite poor, it would seem most people that have pre-ordered aren't going to see their car till early 2010.

JasonP
19-10-2009, 08:33 AM

Told to me by the VW Sales Manager at the Dealer I bought my 103TDI from. VWA told him to put on 2 (of the 6 allocated to him to Dec 09) as demos.

You don't think they'll be potential buyers interested enough in test drives to justify 3 demos? :cool:

Having worked in a dealership a few years back, you'd be amazed at what the Manufacturer can dictate to Dealers.

Eg HSV used to have certain requirements regarding the size & layout & signage for the showrooms at the Dealer.

mikinoz
19-10-2009, 08:42 AM
My opinion here is your dealer/sales rep.

I would ask to speak to the dealer principal, and confirm where your car is. You have a contract and as such there is either a car somewhere here for you (and they should have the VIN) or it is prepared to be built for you and it then should have a build slot and they can provide you the date that will occur also.

Sounds like you may need to be more assertive.

Maverick
19-10-2009, 10:35 AM

As JasonP said the dealers have a lot of requirements that they have to meet if they want to stay a dealer and one of these is a minimum number of demos of particular types particularly for new models.

aeon
19-10-2009, 10:47 AM
If a vehicle has to be a demo, is it specified that it can/can't be sold for a specific period of time? Otherwise, what's stopping the dealer with 3 demos from selling them straight away?

JasonP
19-10-2009, 11:39 AM
If a vehicle has to be a demo, is it specified that it can/can't be sold for a specific period of time? Otherwise, what's stopping the dealer with 3 demos from selling them straight away?

Probaby different rules for each Manufacturer, however it's highly unlikely they wouldn't sell you a demo.....

The number of times the Dealer Principals' own drive car ends up getting sold.....

If they have a car available, or can get one, they'll sell it to you.

They can always p another one on as a Demo.

pinzvidz
19-10-2009, 12:33 PM
If a vehicle has to be a demo, is it specified that it can/can't be sold for a specific period of time?

Dunno about VW's rules. I work for a Toyota dealer, we can't sell a demo to a customer until it's 90 days into registration. Maybe VW have a similar rule?

pologti18t
19-10-2009, 12:48 PM
There is a tax law (i think) in how long a demo needs to stay on the books. 3 months I think the period is. Therefore you would expect dealer GTI demos to be coming up for sale at the end of Jan 2010

As for GTI demos, surely a dealer woould only need 2. One manual, one dsg. All other options etc can be seen on various other model Golfs.

GTi Crow
19-10-2009, 01:22 PM
As for GTI demos, surely a dealer woould only need 2. One manual, one dsg. All other options etc can be seen on various other model Golfs.

My dealer has two outlets - hence 4 demos.

Guy_H
19-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I just looked up the VIN number of our new GTI on the tracking site - Our car arrived in port on 18th August this year, so it's been sitting there for a couple of months already.

cme2c
19-10-2009, 09:25 PM
I just looked up the VIN number of our new GTI on the tracking site - Our car arrived in port on 18th August this year, so it's been sitting there for a couple of months already.

They just don't want you playing with it.

so to speak...

MurphyTheElf
20-10-2009, 12:55 AM
Has anybody else been called by their dealer with the exact spec of cars to choose from? I had a choice of 2 black and 2 white cars since they were the two colour options I gave him. The blacks were standard, the whites had various options. I put my name against one and he said it was mine. Didn't give me a solid price or date though.

Plopeye
20-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Has anybody else been called by their dealer with the exact spec of cars to choose from? I had a choice of 2 black and 2 white cars since they were the two colour options I gave him. The blacks were standard, the whites had various options. I put my name against one and he said it was mine. Didn't give me a solid price or date though.

I got a call today from my dealer. I told him I would rather speak to them in person so Ill find out more during the day.

RECRUT
20-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Most of what everyone said about obligations to VGA is correct.

Richard, The red with no options is still available. And maybe a black with leather.

windmagnet
20-10-2009, 08:15 AM
I have been told nothing gets close to matching my spec.

Heaps of cars with sunroof but virtually none with ACC:(

MurphyTheElf
20-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I have been told nothing gets close to matching my spec.

Heaps of cars with sunroof but virtually none with ACC:(
Same here - none with the right spec, but one with everything including the kitchen sink was available. I didn't really care about leather and sunroof but since they seem to be the first options that VWA put into a car, then I had no choice if I wanted one before year end.

windmagnet
20-10-2009, 12:52 PM
The blacks were standard, the whites had various options. I put my name against one and he said it was mine.

Hi MurphyTheElf,

I hope you didn't take the white one I missed out on.

Dealer should be able to give you precise pricing by now. The official price list is definitely out with the dealers now. It is slightly different from earlier circulated pricing (some items are more, some less). If the car is "yours", they should be able to write up a contract and get you to sign it. Until something is in writing, you might still be gazzumped. This first batch of cars should be delivered pretty soon (although they will probably still need all the pre-delivery work done - fluids etc)

aeon
20-10-2009, 02:10 PM
hmm.. I might have to give my local dealer a ring again and ask them specfically if they have any GTI's allocated to them..

Otherwise, do tell if someone comes across a 5 Door White DSG base spec model...

ok, just called my local dealer again - they're getting a demo model in, in about 3 weeks time for people to test drive - apparently there are a few lined up to test drive it so they aren't willing to reserve it per se...

Probably means a delay in getting one, but at least I'll get a chance to test drive one!

MurphyTheElf
21-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi MurphyTheElf,

I hope you didn't take the white one I missed out on.

Dealer should be able to give you precise pricing by now. The official price list is definitely out with the dealers now. It is slightly different from earlier circulated pricing (some items are more, some less). If the car is "yours", they should be able to write up a contract and get you to sign it. Until something is in writing, you might still be gazzumped. This first batch of cars should be delivered pretty soon (although they will probably still need all the pre-delivery work done - fluids etc)
I just might've taken it. The dealer sent me the final contract yesterday and I signed my life away. Let's just say I'm feeling a little sore and walking like I've got rickets.

windmagnet
22-10-2009, 07:00 AM
I just might've taken it.

I was right on the brink of opting for the R32 when I got the advice that someone ahead of me had decided to wait to get ACC and so I was next in line for that car. A CW with 18" Monzas will soon be in my drive. Will post pics if I can work out how.

Tough decision in the end, as the R32 is an awesome car and the next R will be nothing like it (no V6 soundtrack and not AWD). Some bargains to be had on the few reamining new R32s at the moment unlike the new GTI where there is no discounting at all.

Good luck to everyone else on securing a car.

Corey_R
22-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Tough decision in the end, as the R32 is an awesome car and the next R will be nothing like it (no V6 soundtrack and not AWD).
Um... The Golf R is definitely AWD. This has been official for a long time now! It's actually substantially quicker than the R32 as well :)

Lima
22-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Um... The Golf R is definitely AWD. This has been official for a long time now! It's actually substantially quicker than the R32 as well :)

That's right.

Some of you guys need to spend more time reading AUSmotive (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/09/15/volkswagen-golf-r.html)!

:jackinthebox:

MIRSAD
22-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I just might've taken it. The dealer sent me the final contract yesterday....

MurphyTheElf

.... and delivery date on your contract is?

Hail
23-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Hrmm got a call from the dealer and some choices... either pay more for options I dont really want and get a car by mid nov (i.e. car comes as 5door - wanted 3, comes with 17's - wanted 18s, comes with sunroof - didnt want one).

Or wait till end of Dec (worst case I have been told) and get what I'm after... Although 5 door with sunroof would be better for resale and 17's cheaper for tyres...

Decisions decisions, compounded by the fact I havent had a car for 3 weeks (sold my old car) and its been a huge pain in the rear, to wait till end of Dec might kill me lol.

Corey_R
23-10-2009, 08:51 AM
Or wait till end of Dec (worst case I have been told) and get what I'm after... Although 5 door with sunroof would be better for resale and 17's cheaper for tyres...

Decisions decisions, compounded by the fact I havent had a car for 3 weeks (sold my old car) and its been a huge pain in the rear, to wait till end of Dec might kill me lol.
Wait man... end of December is 2 months. Buy a 2nd hand scooter or a push bike. Grab public transport. Carpool. I had to go more than 2 months after a bus wrote off my Golf GTI before I got my insurance payout and could go get my Polo GTI (was getting a new house at the time, so couldn't get a car loan while also getting a home loan). I'm nowhere near the city, so public transport bites... but two months wait for the car you want is nothing :)

Hail
23-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Yeah good point, although if he gives me a cracker of a deal on the 5 door I might take it in light of the fact it will be way better for resale. If the price is no better than RRP.. Ill be definately waiting for the 3 door, don't see many of them around and it will look sweet sitting on those 18" monza shadows.

Corey_R
23-10-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure that a 5 door is necessarily better for resale... There are a lot of people that like the 3 door models, and they're usually rarer (at least they were for the MK5 since they didn't come out til much later), so their price is usually about the same as the 5 door models, even though they're $1500 cheaper new. Sunroof is a nice option, but options usually don't add 100% of their value to resale either.
As for price of 17 vs 18" tyres. The difference is a lot less than it used to be. I'm not sure what the Australian prices are (cause they're always stupidly expensive anyway), but on tirerack.com the US prices for Continental Contact Sport 3 for the 17" is US$180 each, and for the 18" is US$199 each. In other words, less than $90 Australian for the full set of 4 tyres between 17" and 18".

Hail
23-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok I get it coreying, you prefer the 3 door - so do I. Sunroof doesnt bother me really, had it in my old car and I rarely used it!

Going to call the dealer and see what he's done on the price!

MurphyTheElf
23-10-2009, 10:21 AM
.... and delivery date on your contract is?
No delivery date yet since that information hasn't been officially released by VWA.

R1 Crasher
23-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Told to me by the VW Sales Manager at the Dealer I bought my 103TDI from. VWA told him to put on 2 (of the 6 allocated to him to Dec 09) as demos.

You don't think they'll be potential buyers interested enough in test drives to justify 3 demos? :cool:

Having worked in a dealership a few years back, you'd be amazed at what the Manufacturer can dictate to Dealers.

Eg HSV used to have certain requirements regarding the size & layout & signage for the showrooms at the Dealer.

What if VW Australia told the dealer to put eight demo's on,would they?
What if there was a particular model that was slow selling and VW Aus said put three on as a demo's?
I think a lot depends on dealership size, expectations and what is considered an exceptable demo fleet.

As for corporate signage that is an industry standard.

Golf88
24-10-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm not sure that a 5 door is necessarily better for resale... There are a lot of people that like the 3 door models, and they're usually rarer (at least they were for the MK5 since they didn't come out til much later), so their price is usually about the same as the 5 door models, even though they're $1500 cheaper new. Sunroof is a nice option, but options usually don't add 100% of their value to resale either.
As for price of 17 vs 18" tyres. The difference is a lot less than it used to be. I'm not sure what the Australian prices are (cause they're always stupidly expensive anyway), but on tirerack.com the US prices for Continental Contact Sport 3 for the 17" is US$180 each, and for the 18" is US$199 each. In other words, less than $90 Australian for the full set of 4 tyres between 17" and 18".

i think it would be closer to $90 each corner for conti 17 to 18

Corey_R
24-10-2009, 05:44 AM
i think it would be closer to $90 each corner for conti 17 to 18

No, on tirerack the difference is US$19 each corner from 17 to 18. Which, as I said, comes out to a total diff of under AU$90 for all 4. Go look it up :)
It wouldn't surprise me based on experience of receiving quotes in Australia if people are being charged a difference of $90 a corner here - hence why I suggest people to get them from the USA and stop getting ripped off :)

Umai Naa!!
24-10-2009, 07:10 AM
We've had two GTIs turn up to the dealership yesterday. A white manual, and a red DSG. Both are stock vehicles, which means they aren't sold. Needless to say, there is quite a lot of interest in them already, particularly from current MK V GTI owners.

I just hope I get to drive one before they're sold!

cme2c
24-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Might wander past the dealer on my way home...

Lima
24-10-2009, 03:27 PM
FWIW Lennock in Canberra are supposedly getting 12 GTIs allocated in this first batch, and they currently have 6 in storage. I'm pretty sure they still have some left for sale too. They seem to be red, black or silver.

GeorgeS3
24-10-2009, 04:14 PM
I picked up mum's new jetta TFSI yesterday from Barloworld Mascot and and my sales guy told me they have received 26 vehicles which they start delivering as of this monday.

DeanoTDI
24-10-2009, 09:29 PM
There is a Red GTI MkVI getting around Mascot At the moment. Looks great, presumably owned by someone at VWA HQ as it had N VW white Euro Plates, and was being driven very professionally down Wentworth Avenue when I was trying to catch upto it for a closer look.

GTi Crow
24-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Hrmm got a call from the dealer and some choices... either pay more for options I dont really want and get a car by mid nov (i.e. car comes as 5door - wanted 3, comes with 17's - wanted 18s, comes with sunroof - didnt want one).

Would not guarantee 2 months delivery. Normal time from ordering is about 4 months. Ordering now if you are lucky may get you in week 45 production which is first week of November and 4 months from there is start of March 2010.

Do not guarantee those times but that is what I have been told by my dealer and they also said that come release date (31/10) with the increased interest longer wait times may occur.

Hail
25-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Would not guarantee 2 months delivery. Normal time from ordering is about 4 months. Ordering now if you are lucky may get you in week 45 production which is first week of November and 4 months from there is start of March 2010.

Do not guarantee those times but that is what I have been told by my dealer and they also said that come release date (31/10) with the increased interest longer wait times may occur.

I ordered my car in August this year, which has the same specs as the car thats coming in December. The car is already in the country, but due for release in December this yr. So true it may not be guaranteed but I like my chances.

EDIT: Just went to Barloworld Mascot and test drove the mk6 gti... what a car!!

pologti18t
25-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I ordered my car in August this year, which has the same specs as the car thats coming in December. The car is already in the country, but due for release in December this yr. So true it may not be guaranteed but I like my chances.

EDIT: Just went to Barloworld Mascot and test drove the mk6 gti... what a car!!

I had a test drive at Bozoworld today as well. They practically threw the keys at me. Had a squiz at their stock sheet and over 50% of the stock they had available was already ordered. There were base models (no options at all) available. Majority of cars ordered in were DSG equipped.
After sitting in the base spec car I would have to say that most of the options available are just guilding the lily.

I will say though that the standard 17 inch wheels are a let down. They dont really suit the new shape. Even the salesman said as much.

Kwoka
25-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Which barloworld did you guys test drive at? Would love to try one out!

Hail
26-10-2009, 05:16 AM

Mascot, I drove a stock 5 door with DSG. Man it's something totally different to the mk5, great car! Can't wait till december :P

pologti18t
26-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Mascot have a manual and DSG model to drive. Both base spec as far as I can determine.

Corey_R
26-10-2009, 07:49 AM
After sitting in the base spec car I would have to say that most of the options available are just guilding the lily.

Gimme leather, sunroof, RNS 510 with Dynaudio, xenons and 18" wheels and I'd be happy! ;) :)

EndlessMKI
26-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Mascot, I drove a stock 5 door with DSG. Man it's something totally different to the mk5, great car! Can't wait till december :P

Mind me asking what you found different in the two from a driving perspective?

Hail
26-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Mind me asking what you found different in the two from a driving perspective?

Its sublte little differences, wouldnt call the mk6 a revolution, more an evolution of the mk5..almost like a mk5.5. I found the power delivery to be smoother than the mk5, and keener (lower in the rev range) which was nice. The car hugs the corners better and with noticeable less understeer than the mk5. The exhaust note is great.

The interior styling for me and the feel inside the car was the 'huge' difference over the mk5.

pologti18t
26-10-2009, 11:10 AM
The interior styling for me and the feel inside the car was the 'huge' difference over the mk5.

I liked how when you changed the climate control settings the changes also appeared on the stereo's screen.

THe MFD also shows what gear you are currently in and when to change up for max economy.

Lima
26-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I will say though that the standard 17 inch wheels are a let down...

They looked rubbish on the Mk5 too, haha, so the sharper edges of the Mk6 were only going to highlight how crap the wheels are.

Awesome that people are getting test drives already! :banana:

If any Canberrans want a closer look at the GTI check out their holding yard just down from the dealership at the corner of Parramatta St and Athllon Drive (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=parramatta+st+phillip+act&sll=-35.352973,149.09124&sspn=0.014263,0.019011&g=athllon+drive+phillip+act&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Parramatta+St,+Phillip+ACT+2606&ll=-35.354992,149.091511&spn=0.003566,0.004753&t=h&z=18).

windmagnet
26-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Only one car in Adelaide with 18" wheels - hopefully mine. Dealer said it would be about $800 per corner to swap factory 18" wheels for fitted 17" wheels

Corey_R
26-10-2009, 01:28 PM
lol... why would you pay $3200 to go from 18" to 17" wheels ?

Hail
26-10-2009, 02:09 PM
lol... why would you pay $3200 to go from 18" to 17" wheels ?

You wouldn't. Its $1,200 approx extra if the 18's come factory fitted. So if you want the 18's make sure it comes from the factory, otherwise expect to pay $4k from the dealer...

Corey_R
26-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah - but in this case it already has the 18" wheels fitted (you could presume that they're the $1200 option), and he's been quoted $3200 to go back down to a dealer fitted 17" wheel....

Hail
26-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah - but in this case it already has the 18" wheels fitted (you could presume that they're the $1200 option), and he's been quoted $3200 to go back down to a dealer fitted 17" wheel....

That's just retarded going from 18 to 17 and paying for it. You'd expect a credit!

Corey_R
26-10-2009, 07:43 PM
That's just retarded going from 18 to 17 and paying for it. You'd expect a credit!

Lol.. yep! :D

gregozedobe
26-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Only one car in Adelaide with 18" wheels - hopefully mine. Dealer said it would be about $800 per corner to swap factory 18" wheels for fitted 17" wheels

You might want to confirm with the dealer exactly what he is saying, as that just sounds completely wrong to me.

It sounds like the dealer is trying to tell you that 17'" wheels and tyres will cost $3,200 more than the 18" wheels and tyres that are already on the car. Unless you are specifying 17" wheels made from pure "expensivium" with ultra costly tyres as well, I find it very hard to believe.

Tell the dealer you'll take the car with the 18's that are on it, then buy a set of 17's (with the wheel and tyre of your choice), and then sell the 18's. You'll be way in front.

Otherwise the dealer will probably sell those 18's to another owner as an "upgrade" and charge them a hefty surcharge for the upgrade as well, thus adding to his profit !!!!

Let us know how it all pans out.

windmagnet
27-10-2009, 08:24 AM
to swap factory 18" wheels for fitted 17" wheels

Sorry for the confusion. I should have been clearer. I meant putting VW 18" wheels on a car equipped with 17" wheels.

The estimate of $800 a corner is to go from 17" wheels to 18" wheels if the car does not come with the 18" wheels factory fitted. Assumes you trade in tyres on 17" wheels and keep the rims.

I got this estimate before the car I wanted became available (no other cars with 18" wheels) and it would have been the final factor in swinging my decision away from a Mk6 GTI and to an R32.

VOLKSMAN
27-10-2009, 08:37 AM
driving past mcgrath vw's storage park and saw absolutely tonnes of red white and silver gti's. it looks like most of them have all been ordered.will post pictures soon

Kwoka
27-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Just got a call from my local dealer and it has been confirmed that the launch day for the car is this Saturday!

MurphyTheElf
27-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Just got a call from my local dealer and it has been confirmed that the launch day for the car is this Saturday!
Oh yeah! I wonder if WA will get them straight away or whether we'll have to "Wait Awhile" like with everything else.....

Hail
30-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Happy chap!

Get my car on Thursday:

GTI 3 door red
dsg
leather
18" rims
sunroof
MDI
parking assist
rear parking camera
tints

mtj007
30-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh yeah! I wonder if WA will get them straight away or whether we'll have to "Wait Awhile" like with everything else.....

I know Osborne Park VW have a Tornado Red on display - I saw pictures on another forum. OP's launch party is next Thursday night, I got an invite in the mail yesterday.

Happy chap!

Get my car on Thursday:

GTI 3 door red
dsg
leather
18" rims
sunroof
MDI
parking assist
rear parking camera
tints

Make sure you post pics :banana: