PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk 6 Owners: Would you buy a Golf again?

dooch
14-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi All, I am new to the forum and in the market for a new car.

The misses and I test drove the Golf 118TSI and it's easy to see why the Golf won 'world car of the year' but my question is what do owners really think of their Golf, would you buy a golf again? or recommend one?

I am conducting a poll to find out what your thoughts are, so the question is would you buy a golf again?

Please feel free to offer some feedback, I am keen to hear about your experience with the Golf Mk6.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to vote.

dooch

schoona
14-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Have taken a 7spd SDSG 118 tsi for a drive. Very impressive.

I tihnk the guys that will answer your question will say "I have bought a golf, it is good enough for me, why not you?"

And then the next time they want to purchase a car, they have moved up in the world and will look at Passat or Audi.

Grover
14-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Hmmm... I don't think this is as simple as a Yes or No. For me it is a maybe. I have mixed feelings about my 118TSI although I think my problem is more to do with the dealer(s) than with Volkswagen. Also it does cheese me off that the Mk5 came in a 3 door and the Mk6 didn't (not yet anyway).

You should have made this a Yes - No - Maybe poll.

mr gee
14-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I got a TT and a Civic sport which I traded in when I test drove the 118 TSI.

I need a third car next year and am seriously considering the MK 6 GTI though the thought of it being made obsolete by the MK7 soon after is worrying.

OvaltoJetta
15-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Hi dooch,
I'm getting the opportunity to take a 118TSi for a few days as of next Tuesday, so I'll try to remember to come back and let everyone know what I think. I'll take some pics too. You can see what I curently drive. Drop me a line if you wish.

Maverick
15-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Also it does cheese me off that the Mk5 came in a 3 door and the Mk6 didn't (not yet anyway).

The Mark V GTI and R32 came in 3 door and 5 door.
None of the other variants came with 3 doors.

The Mark VI GTI and R come in 3 door and 5 door.
None of the other variants come with 3 doors.

So what exactly cheeses you off about this?

:confused:

gerhard
15-10-2009, 10:19 AM
I need a third car next year and am seriously considering the MK 6 GTI though the thought of it being made obsolete by the MK7 soon after is worrying.

The MK7 will be superseded by the MK8.

You can never buy a car that won't be updated. And the updates always happen after you've bought one. Funny, that.

VW Convert
15-10-2009, 10:39 AM

The misses and I test drove the Golf 118TSI and it's easy to see why the Golf won 'world car of the year' but my question is what do owners really think of their Golf, would you buy a golf again? or recommend one?

I am conducting a poll to find out what your thoughts are, so the question is would you buy a golf again?

Please feel free to offer some feedback, I am keen to hear about your experience with the Golf Mk6.

dooch

It's very early in the life cycle of the Mk 6 to ask such a question, perhaps you should be expanding that to asking VW owners in general or at least Mk 5owners. I for one just replaced my 3 year old Jetta (sadly written off) with an Eos, I would not have done so if I was not convinced of the quality of the VW product.

Cheers

George

Corey_R
15-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Also it does cheese me off that the Mk5 came in a 3 door and the Mk6 didn't (not yet anyway).

Mk5 only had the GTI and R32 available in 3 door. And even then, for the first year or so of the GTI's life in Australia, it was still only 5 door. (I'm not an expert on this, but I don't think the GTI came in 3 door until the R32 was released here, someone please correct me if they have a better answer).

So yeah, can't be annoyed with the MK6 for that reason yet....

The MK7 will be superseded by the MK8.

You can never buy a car that won't be updated. And the updates always happen after you've bought one. Funny, that.

I think the reason for concern with the MK7, is that it'll be released in 2011 - which is only 14 months away!

Dubdubdubdot
15-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Will the mk7 be a completely new golf, or more of a mk6.5?

Oh and check out the poll results!

KWICKS
15-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Resounding! Don't let VW see it or they'll stop trying.

Corey_R
15-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Will the mk7 be a completely new golf, or more of a mk6.5?

The MK7 will be completed different to the 6. The MK6 is really a MK5.5.

Here are three small articles on WorldCarFans which mention the MK7, including one which shows the possible design model in a video (i.e. What the MK7 may look like!)
http://www.worldcarfans.com/109092822059/possible-2012-vw-golf-vii-design-model-caught-in-promo
http://www.worldcarfans.com/109092121895/2012-vw-golf-vii-first-prototype-mule-spy-photos
http://www.worldcarfans.com/109092822058/vw-design-boss-losing-sleep-over-golf-vii-development

Grover
15-10-2009, 12:43 PM
None of the other variants come with 3 doors.

So what exactly cheeses you off about this?

:confused:

OK... that was my mistake then. I stand corrected. I mistakingly thought that the standard Golf mkV was eventually offered in a 3 door version. So I have no reason to be "cheesed off" at a situation which did not arrise.

I should simply kill myself now and spare all of you from my inaccurate and mis-informed comments. I hope this appology satisfies the likes of Maverick (the Volkswagen Fanatic).

:emo_baghead:

VW Convert
15-10-2009, 01:02 PM
I hope this appology satisfies the likes of Maverick (the Volkswagen Fanatic).

Steady on, Maverick merely pointed out an error of fact in your post.

Cheers

George

Maverick
15-10-2009, 01:34 PM
OK... that was my mistake then. I stand corrected. I mistakingly thought that the standard Golf mkV was eventually offered in a 3 door version. So I have no reason to be "cheesed off" at a situation which did not arrise.

I should simply kill myself now and spare all of you from my inaccurate and mis-informed comments. I hope this appology satisfies the likes of Maverick (the Volkswagen Fanatic).

Settle down.

As Grover pointed out I was only pointing out that only the GTI and R32's were available in three door so there was no need to be "cheesed off".

:duh:

Corey_R
15-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I hope this appology satisfies the likes of Maverick (the Volkswagen Fanatic).

Hmmm.... the way you state that sounds insulting. The forum bases user levels on the number of posts. Maverick isn't proclaiming that he's a Volkswagen Fanatic!

dooch
15-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Hmmm... I don't think this is as simple as a Yes or No. For me it is a maybe. I have mixed feelings about my 118TSI although I think my problem is more to do with the dealer(s) than with Volkswagen.

Mind me asking. what was the problem with the dealer?

Grover
15-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Look fellas'

I think my post was reasonable. I was wrong and I certainly don't have a problem admitting that (as appropriate). I did detect some slight sarcasm in Mav's first post and although he was pointing out the factual mistake in my post there was the additional comment...

"So what exactly cheeses you off about this?"

... which was a slight jab, so I think you guys need to get things in perspective.

Tommy
15-10-2009, 06:59 PM

dooch

After all the trouble I had with mine, you couldn't pay me to take on another Golf or Volkswagen ever again. VW has an appalling customer service ethic and the 118tsi DSG I had was a heap of crud...

coastie
15-10-2009, 07:46 PM
"So what exactly cheeses you off about this?"

... which was a slight jab, so I think you guys need to get things in perspective.

The post simply asks for exact clarification, it has no apparent sarcasm other than the repetition of the cheese quote if it could be construed as such. When someone places a short post which is to the point it is not necessarily rude or sarcastic.

On the poll Yep in a heartbeat, best fun in a great vehicle.

Grover
15-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Thankyou Mr Coastie. I am now well informed.

Also apologies to Mav re signature.

:banana:

gregozedobe
15-10-2009, 10:13 PM
It is all too easy to take (or give) offence where none was intended with on-line forums, then the situation can quickly spiral down the gurgler (eg look at most remapping threads for Golf Vs).

I saw a suggestion on another forum that is worth considering when you are irritated/annoyed/angry about a post by someone else : "It is good to know when to just push away from the keyboard".

Golf Mark 6
15-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Resounding! Don't let VW see it or they'll stop trying.

Wolfsburg will never stop pushing the boundary, it's just a pity that the dealers in our fine state are not the same way inclined.

For the record I LOVE my Golf. I just expected the same level of service from the dealer as quality of the car.

That being said I'd probably put up with some of the fools here in WA just to get another Golf...

... especially one with an "R" badge on it.