PDA

View Full Version : 18" VRM V710 wheels on 90TSI - Would they fit?

oileoi
14-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I ordered a new set of V710 ET 45 form velocity motoring http://www.velocitymotoring.com/links/wheels_v710.htm for my new 90TSI which hasn't even arrive. It's due in December this year.

Anyways, today the sales person from the dealer called me and I asked her about how much would the original 15" Wellington wheels and 195/55/R15 Michellin or Bridgeston tires would be just to give me an idea of how much I can sell them for since I won't use them at all - Anyone out there know how much would they go for?.

The really interesting thing was that she (sales person) told me that I COULD NOT use 18" wheels on my car. According to her you can only go to 2" higher than your standard wheel size, is this true?. This statement from her sounded completely erroneous to me, since I've seen a couple of new MK6 with 19" and 18" wheels in this forum.

Could someone please assure me that I won't have any issues with my new 18" wheels?

Thanks for your help in advance :confused:

team_v
14-10-2009, 02:20 PM
You can only legally increase the total rolling diameter of the wheel and tyre combo by 15mm.
The only problem you may have is with the offset of the wheel as the Golf V needed a pretty big offset (around 50)
But you should be okay with 45 (if not , just use a 5mm spacer)

The general rule of thumb is 2" bigger than stock as tyres get pretty thin after that.
That is just a general rule though as most people are too lazy to bother looking any further than that.

How much did they set you back?
I love the V710's.
Looking at getting some myself.

Big Yellow
14-10-2009, 03:41 PM
in Victoria, i think the rule is no more than 2" larger in diameter and no more than 1.5" wider.

so technically you could get done for going too big.

but golf's ie r32 come standard with 18s anyway.

also check you're tire placard and see if it has any mention of 16" wheels/tires. if it does, it shows that your car can come from the factory with those wheels and you might be safe.

or i might be completely wrong LOL

Tim
14-10-2009, 03:44 PM
As above. See whats on the tyre placard. Not what comes standard on your car. Some insurance companies will only allow 1" extra diameter & width but from the biggest wheel available from the manufacturer. So i would check your insurance as well.

oileoi
14-10-2009, 04:31 PM
How much did they set you back?
I love the V710's.
Looking at getting some myself.

I paid so far USD$799 for the wheels + USD$380 delivery to Melbourne Airport. I called custom here in Australia and they told I should be fine in terms of paying taxes as the items I'm importing cost less than AUD$1,000. However since they are coming by air freight, they told me that I would need to contact an importer agent to lodge the custom clearance form which is around AUD$150 according to them.

r32 come standard with 18s anyway

Yes, this is so strange as you can get 18" from the dealer. They are even advertised in the GOLF catalogue as Genuine Accessories (18" Vision Alloy Wheel - Black and Silver)

Im terms of tires I'm getting a set of KUMHO SPT KU31 225/40/R18 I hope this is ok.

Could any one confirm if I will have any issues with my new wheels and tire set up?

team_v
14-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I was expecting about $800 US.
Shipping is pretty good price.
Is that for a set of 4?

The kumho's are a pretty good set of tyres for what you pay.
I would try to match the wheel/tyres specs for OEM 18's so you know it will fit and won't cause problems.
If the Golf 6 is available with 18" wheels from the factory then you should be fine.

Big Yellow
14-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Is that for a set of 4?

I would try to match the wheel/tyres specs for OEM 18's so you know it will fit and won't cause problems.
If the Golf 6 is available with 18" wheels from the factory then you should be fine.
Only if they are mentioned on his particukar tire placard.

Tires id go 225/40

dylan8
14-10-2009, 06:43 PM
Thought you can go any size rim (i had 15" stock and now 18"), the width you cant go anymore then 26mm or something bigger then the largest wheel available factory fitted to your car :crazy:.

Your tyre just has to have the same or similar rolling diameter im pretty sure.

Have a look in the wheel & suspension section. There a large number of discussions on this. Also some rules have been posted up in one of the sticky threads from memory. Otherwise check on the vic roads site.

Pharkus
15-10-2009, 12:01 AM
I paid so far USD$799 for the wheels + USD$380 delivery to Melbourne Airport. I called custom here in Australia and they told I should be fine in terms of paying taxes as the items I'm importing cost less than AUD$1,000. However since they are coming by air freight, they told me that I would need to contact an importer agent to lodge the custom clearance form which is around AUD$150 according to them.

Yes, this is so strange as you can get 18" from the dealer. They are even advertised in the GOLF catalogue as Genuine Accessories (18" Vision Alloy Wheel - Black and Silver)

Im terms of tires I'm getting a set of KUMHO SPT KU31 225/40/R18 I hope this is ok.

Could any one confirm if I will have any issues with my new wheels and tire set up?

So let me get the order of things straight. You have already gone and bought the wheels and only now ask questions as to whether you can fit them to your car? :eek:

Check the ADR's relevant to your state to see what the exact requirements are, I'm sure Maverick will chime in some time. And as to the wheel size increase I thought that it referred to the largest size that came with your car, not what the largest wheels fitted to the model line up. Going by that logic, that would mean you should be able to fit 20" rims to your Golf legally as the R32 has 18" as standard. Pretty sure also you would have lots of trouble getting the correctly rated tyres for that.

oileoi
15-10-2009, 08:04 AM
Is that for a set of 4?

Yes that price is for a set of 4 wheels. However that price doesn't include the tires, just the wheels. I will buy the tires here. As I mention earlier I would be fitting a set of KUMHO SPT KU31 225/40/R18 which will set me back another 1k.

Yes the GOLF MK6 will come with 18" wheels from factory if you would like to pay VW the extra $$$. I didn't want to and don't love their 18" wheels models. Currently they only offer the Visions, GTI and the R32 from dealer.

So let me get the order of things straight. You have already gone and bought the wheels and only now ask questions as to whether you can fit them to your car? :eek

Well I'm not that (stupid :toothless:) I checked with Velocity for the specs of the wheels to ensure they won't cause any problems in my new car. I did exactly the same with the tires I'm getting fitted to my new wheels. I also researched a couple of mk5 (since they have the same wheel clearance) and mk6 forums before ordering my wheels. So according to technical specs I won't have any problems what so ever. Read this http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278 comments from other mk6 owners around the globe that are running 18" and 19" in their cars.

What surprise me was the comments of sales person in regards to wheels. Perhaps she wanted to get the sale for the 18" wheels as well. From that conversation my understanding was that legally you couldn't increase the size of your wheels by more than 2" and that seem strange to me so that's why i freaked out. I'll call VIC Roads today and will let you all know of the outcome.

Big Yellow
15-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Read this http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2278 comments from other mk6 owners around the globe that are running 18" and 19" in their cars.

What surprise me was the comments of sales person in regards to wheels. Perhaps she wanted to get the sale for the 18" wheels as well. From that conversation my understanding was that legally you couldn't increase the size of your wheels by more than 2" and that seem strange to me so that's why i freaked out. I'll call VIC Roads today and will let you all know of the outcome.

Different countries, different states = different rules and laws. best bet is to confirm with vicroads :goodluck:

Tim
15-10-2009, 08:33 AM
ive posted it before but vicroads have a car modification guideline pdf on their site.
http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

If you have a look at section 8 it outlines what you can and cant do with wheels. In regards to diameter it only refers to "wheel and tyre combo" so as mentioned above there doesnt seem to be a limitation on the size of the rim. Just on the overal diameter of the tyre.

As I mentioned above some insurance companies do place limits so it is probably more important to check with them.

Pharkus
15-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I finally found that PDF late last night after making my post 1am+. But I always refer back to the words a partner once told me when I first started in my job, "You can claim whatever you like, so long as you are willing to do the time for it if you are caught."

Yeah asking VicRoads would be the safe bet and also making sure you get a new copy of your insurance policy with specific details of the wheel upgrade in writing as well.

Terence - no troubles on the BBS CK's hey =), pretty much same as stock size, diameter and width.

oileoi
15-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks so much for all this valuable information. I called VIC Roads today and they pretty much told me exactly the same as you guys. Read the PDF modifications guide and check with your tire card. The problem is I don't have the car yet so I dont have the tire card.

Anyone here can post the tire card specs for a GOLF MK6 90TSI?

team_v
15-10-2009, 11:31 AM
VW offers Alloy Wheels (Topas) 18 x 7½” for the 90TSI so you should be okay with the new V710's since they are 18" as well.
The width shouldn't be a problem as its only 1" extra.

See here:
http://www.volkswagen.com.au/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/golf/pricing___specifications.Par.0019.File.pdf/golf_brochure_specifications.pdf
Page 2 for wheels.

Paul_OH
15-10-2009, 01:00 PM
For the record, WA states that up to 1" wider than standard up to 8" - thus making 8.5" illegal here even though the factory wheels were 7.5". It made me wonder when I checked it out at the time though what happens to say Porsche drivers for example who want a wider wheel than standard when the standard ones are 9 or 10"?
I'm running the VMR V708s in 18x8.5 and have let my insurance company know (Shannons) and they were fine with it. However we don't have regular vehicle inspections in WA, only if you get a defect notice.

The Mk6 GTI should have 7.5" wheels so according to the Vic Roads info 8.5" would be within their requirements of up to 1" wider than the vehicle series.

Paul

oileoi
15-10-2009, 01:51 PM
VW offers Alloy Wheels (Topas) 18 x 7½” for the 90TSI so you should be okay with the new V710's since they are 18" as well.
The width shouldn't be a problem as its only 1" extra.

See here:
http://www.volkswagen.com.au/etc/medialib/vwcms/virtualmaster/en_au/new_cars/golf/pricing___specifications.Par.0019.File.pdf/golf_brochure_specifications.pdf
Page 2 for wheels.

BEST NEWS EVER!

Thanks team_v and thanks guys, its amazing the amount of valuable information there is around the community and how helpful everyone is, really can't thank you all enough.

I apologize for not posting in the wheels, tires and suspension section of the forum, I thought about it but thought since my question is specific to an MK6 would do it here. (Forum master if you feel like moving my post to the relevant section, go for it!!)

team_v
15-10-2009, 02:03 PM
No problems.
The best part about the VAG Family is the community effort.
Everyone is willing to lend a hand.

According to the VIC Roads guidlies you should be fine with 18 x 8.5's.
Can't wait to see pics of them on your ride when you get it.

oileoi
31-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Well guys the wheels have finally arrive, I have to go pick them up later today. I will post some pics during the weekend. Now I just have to wait for the car to arrive lol

Topend
17-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Well guys the wheels have finally arrive, I have to go pick them up later today. I will post some pics during the weekend. Now I just have to wait for the car to arrive lol

Hi,

Did you ever end up posting pics. I am interested in the same wheels and would like to see your pics.

Cheers,
Dave.

Topend
17-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi,

Did you ever end up posting pics. I am interested in the same wheels and would like to see your pics.

Cheers,
Dave.

Don't worry, I found the pics elsewhere.