PDA

View Full Version : New MK4 GTi Owner

91eah
08-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Hi my name is Leah, i got my Silver MK4 GTi 3 weekends ago! Im soooo happy with it! :D

Im looking for some 18's for it now, and would love to see what rims other people have put on their's

Thanks guys

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/One-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/P1020216-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/02/P1020215-2.jpg

william
08-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Hi my name is Leah, i got my Silver MK4 GTi 3 weekends ago! Im soooo happy with it! :D

Im looking for some 18's for it now, and would love to see what rims other people have put on their's

Thanks guys

congrats leah they are very nice cars look at the mk4 thread for ideas particulaly george aka gpk_gtis one for ideas its awesome, but keep in mind if you put 18s on you will need to re calibrate your speedo as it will be out by 3 to 5 ks

DubSteve
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys

Welcome Leah. Like William said congrats on the car, they are very nice and with a little modding you can do wonders with them. Post some pics of your car so we can see.:)

BLKMJC
09-02-2007, 12:09 AM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car! Their very good value for money at the moment with prices dropping. You get quite a bit of car for what you pay.

Post some pics :)

BLKMJC

golf3
09-02-2007, 07:02 AM
congrats leah they are very nice cars look at the mk4 thread for ideas particulaly george aka gpk_gtis one for ideas its awesome, but keep in mind if you put 18s on you will need to re calibrate your speedo as it will be out by 3 to 5 ks

Don't scare people...

The tyre people will match up the right tyre to the right diameter wheel, and it will be fine!!!

Check here if you're concerned!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

GoLfMan
09-02-2007, 07:04 AM
welcome Leah, good to see that your enjoying your Gti... any power upgrades on the mind atm?

gpk_gti
09-02-2007, 07:25 AM
welcome Leah!! good luck with your wheel choice.There are so many choices and as the other guys have said prices have come down!
please also remember with your car,IF IT AINT SCRUBBING ,IT AINT DUBBIN!!! hehehej:
If there is any advice you need,just post or pm one of the mk4 owners.

91eah
09-02-2007, 08:12 AM
Oh thanks heaps for all the help guys! I will post some pics up on the weekend! I have heaps of ideas in mind for it, but i need to save some more money first haha! j:

gtimk5
09-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Welcome 1eah, Its good to have you here! Hope you enjoy the forum. We are a helpful and enthusiastic bunch.
Great choice of Golf too. The suspension is a much needed mod on them as well.I ran Konis and lowered springs on my old mk4 and it completely transformed the car.
Anyway, once again welcome and dont be shy abou5t asking any questions here, we dont laugh or bite!:D
Cheers, Andrew:)

DIDZ
09-02-2007, 06:23 PM
+1 to the Mk IV brigade :D

phaeton
09-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Welcome Leah :D

Enjoy VW Motoring ;)

Is this your 1st VW ?

91eah
09-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes you all are a very welcoming bunch! Im sure i will have many questions to ask you all!!

I will get some pics up tomorrow!

Yes this is my first vw! I spent about 8 months tracking down the perfect GTi!! It took so long to find one, but it was so worth the wait!

My first mod was..... a stubby antenna! hehe j: PLENTY MORE TO COME!

fuzion
09-02-2007, 10:00 PM
think inmotive.com.au got a whole batch of Forge Motorsport Stubbys.. (would recommend, as they are as good as OEM for reception) where i found a lot others are ****e lol

BLKMJC
09-02-2007, 11:59 PM
As GTIMK5 said previously, the suspension is pretty soft on the MK4 GTI, and I would do that first. Eibach springs and koni shocks, or maybe coils if you can afford them.

Many say the chip should be the first mod, but I think the suspension can be just as rewarding if not more! The car is much faster on a better suspension, then add the chip to match it :)

BLKMJC

mikinoz
10-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Many say the chip should be the first mod, but I think the suspension can be just as rewarding if not more!
BLKMJC

Yes I am in agreeance, and I only have a MKIV 1.6.

If you have the $ - coilovers may be more your thing.

Welcome

fuzion
10-02-2007, 07:28 AM
alternate from eibach springs are kw springs and kw shocks too ... you'll find the quality is better, and pricing as well in comparison to eibach.

gpk_gti
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
they are all good leah,, I would spend my money on coilovers as the ride is better and you get the ability to adjust height.start saving!!:)

Oneofthegreats
13-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Congratulations on your new arrival Leah. I wish i could of had a car like that when i was 19. First thing is to enjoy the car first. I used to own a silver Mk 4 GTI 02 and agree with Andrew that the first thing you should do is sort out the suspension. You need to do it not even from a visual point of view but the standard suspension is terrible. It is over dampened and under sprung. In a straight line it gives the impression that she's stiff but when you hit the corners with any gusto she rolls like there is no tomorrow.

Wheels are a personal preference but as long as they are the right size and offset doesn't matter. For the record you can't go past a set of 18" BBS CH with 225/45/18 tires (but not if your curb happy). A classic look that will still look fantastic in 10 years time.

Anyway welcome to the forum and enjoy your car safely!

Jared

Lams
15-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi Leah!

so what car did you get in the end? :)

while on the topic of 18" - anyone running 235s?

DubSteve
15-02-2007, 11:21 PM
alternate from eibach springs are kw springs and kw shocks too ... you'll find the quality is better, and pricing as well in comparison to eibach.

Leah make sure that you choose the right springs, shocks that you want, in the end your the customer that has to fork out the money so make sure you get what you want.

Alot of people can say different things but you might think different.

Nice choice of car though;)

91eah
16-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks guys! Sorry i have been slack with the pics, will do it soon! I would love coilovers - how much for a set? My boyfriend has a rex and coilovers for his is quite expensive! I want to get my wheels first then look at the spension etc for height - im finding it hard enough with the height of the car now to get into driveways etc - so lower would be hard, but it wud look so good! :)

Lams - yes yes yes i went with the best GTi i had seen, one lady owner since new!!!!! hehe i think u may have seen it, but im not 100% sure?? hahahahahahahahahahaha

Yes at 19 im quite lucky to have this car - however a lot of hard work and savings made it happen and i couldn't be happier! :)

GoLfMan
16-02-2007, 02:30 PM
coilovers arent really much about ride hight as handling which from what ive been told is a must on a mk4 GTi!!!! glad to know you like the car :D great choice

fuzion
16-02-2007, 03:10 PM
Being realistic though, unless you really need the coilovers as your that worried about your handling, you could just be better off with 30/35mm dropped springs (kw, h&r or eibachs) on your stock shocks or with matching shocks instead of spending the money.

congrats on the buy

DIDZ
16-02-2007, 11:15 PM
Being realistic though, unless you really need the coilovers as your that worried about your handling, you could just be better off with 30/35mm dropped springs (kw, h&r or eibachs) on your stock shocks or with matching shocks instead of spending the money.

congrats on the buy

fuzion, lowered springs on standard shocks = rat**** ride after 10,000 odd kms, especially with cars that have done a few kms.

I'd advise on a shock/spring combo or coilovers. Better than just getting springs, putting them in and find that you have to change your shocks because they've died up the ass and your bouncing like a hopper truck...

Eibach springs / Koni Sports (yellow) for the cheaper option - not sure of pricing for coilovers, but it would be safe to say it would be substantially more than the spring/shock combo.

fuzion
17-02-2007, 12:12 AM
you just repeated what i said basically? lol.

kw also make shock/spring setup, and im sure ull get a better price, infact i know lol. eibachs are quite expensive, bout $480+ a set

91eah
03-03-2007, 12:09 PM
Pics now up! :)

gpk_gti
03-03-2007, 01:49 PM
nice and clean,congrats!! what colour interior is it??

91eah
03-03-2007, 02:52 PM
interior is black and silver recaro.

gpk_gti
03-03-2007, 05:30 PM
we are twins!!:D

dancet
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Triplets...I have the exact same also.

fuzion
03-03-2007, 06:36 PM
actually, il have a set of s/h KW 40mm Springs soon for sale..

fuzion
03-03-2007, 06:37 PM
fuzion, lowered springs on standard shocks = rat**** ride after 10,000 odd kms, especially with cars that have done a few kms.

I'd advise on a shock/spring combo or coilovers. Better than just getting springs, putting them in and find that you have to change your shocks because they've died up the ass and your bouncing like a hopper truck...

Eibach springs / Koni Sports (yellow) for the cheaper option - not sure of pricing for coilovers, but it would be safe to say it would be substantially more than the spring/shock combo.

i definately agree.. but least you've got 10,000kms to get yourself to coilovers pricing LOL :)

DubSteve
04-03-2007, 01:33 PM
i definately agree.. but least you've got 10,000kms to get yourself to coilovers pricing LOL :)

But by that time you have stuffed up your whole suspension better to get it done the first time and right.

91eah
06-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Gee enuff about suspension already haha!!!!!

YAY triplets haha thats funny!!

Thanks for the comments!

BL33SU
06-03-2007, 08:12 PM
But by that time you have stuffed up your whole suspension better to get it done the first time and right.

it wont be totally stuffed.. not every1 can afford coilovers. and even so, when u buy coilovers you change most of your suspension anyways springs/shocks.

btw.. nice golf u'v got there.

VWEAPN
13-04-2007, 04:37 PM
ive also got a silver gti 03-04
as suspension goes, standard is ****house.
ive gone for the cheaper option, and to me it seems like you are heading that way too...
i bought myself some pedders soft springs for everyday driving lowered 2.5 inches at the back & 1.5 inches at the front, why i did the front less is because usually the engine seems to compress the springs at the front more than the back. This cost me $450
left my standard shocks.
ive put some 19 inch audi A8 wheels. fit comfortably.
and as for finding wheels, it isnt easy finding wheels to suite the golf. So u r really restricted with wheel choice so u will have to look around.
the 19's cost me $2400 with khumo tyres.
i guess theyre aftermarket audi wheels weighing more than originals thus making ur car lose a tad bit of power. but if ur in it for the looks and wanna get by cheap this is the way as far as suspension goes. i didnt have a big budget.

dancet
13-04-2007, 06:39 PM
Jebus, 19" Audi wheels, they'd look awesome! Got any photos?

VWEAPN
13-04-2007, 07:32 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=3746&page=2

im right at the end, i suppose they leave the best to last j:
have fun

Lima
14-04-2007, 12:30 AM
Pete will drop in soon enough I'm sure, in the meantime his silver GTI used to look like yours once. :cool:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/102531628M-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/102528866M-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/102529015M-2.jpg

91eah
17-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Wow thanks for that, his looks great! Cant wait to do some more things to mine!!!

91eah
19-04-2007, 01:53 PM
NEW PARTS have arrived:

- H&R Coilovers
- Apexi air filter
- GReddy Turbo timer
- Sard Boost Gauge

YAY cant wait to have them all put on in the next few weeks - will post pics once complete!

gpk_gti
19-04-2007, 02:10 PM
ohhh ,how much the apexi airfilter and where from??
I see you have been a busy bee!!! hehehehe

91eah
19-04-2007, 03:17 PM
hehehehe yes very busy!

I got it straight from Japan, my cousin modifies cars so he does Japan orders quite often, i got my air filter, turbo timer & gauge straight from there, only takes 3 days to get here. The bigger order he does the cheaper things get, the apexi air filter came to around $60!