PDA

View Full Version : New GTI Owner!

JBSGTI
07-02-2007, 10:10 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive been checking out your forums for a while now but decided to hold off registering until i picked up my car. Well today was my lucky day - picked up my GTI 3 Door 6 Speed in Black Magic with a Sunroof. Bought it from Camberwell VW, went in there about 3 weeks and had exactly the spec i was after.

Im no stranger to the Golf scene having had a number of Golfs over the years including a 96 mk3 2.0l GL Classic, 02 mk4 2.0l SE and most recently a 04 mk Comfortline 2.0l FSI. All have been excellent cars, especially the mk3. Had a few issues with the mk5, i am hoping just because it was an early production run - mainly just electrical problems, rattles, squeaks and a blown airconditioning compressor. Despite these few issues, my next car was going to be a GTI or nothing.....astra, focus or 3 simply werent considered!. Part of my attraction to the 3 door GTI is its Wolfsburg built, im hoping i may have a better run with a German build car as opposed to one made in South Africa :???:

Ive visited the VW plant in Wolfsburg last year, was a fantastic experience and great to see where my car has come from! :D . Also checked out the Autostadt nearby which was really go to.

Glad to be a part of your forum, look forward to getting to know everyone! :)

Lima
07-02-2007, 11:28 PM
Welcome. :cool:

My wife and I got to check out the Autostadt last year too. Sadly though, we literally only spent 60 minutes there. We had to get to Berlin pronto in order to get our hire car back. I can't complain too much. The day before was spent at the Nürburgring, then a day blasting down the Autobahns with an Autostadt interlude. Funny thing is, had we known then we were going to buy our GTI we would have definitely spent more time in Wolfsburg.

Anyway, congrats on your GTI. We've had our 3dr since mid November 06 and it's going beautifully.

Cheers Liam

phaeton
08-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Welcome JBSGTI :D

srbsta
10-02-2007, 06:48 PM
hey congrats on the GTI....any pics....and welcome

Oneofthegreats
11-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Nice work JBS. I just picked up my 3dr on Wed from Essendon VW. Like myself your probably loving every minute of it. I'm like a dog with two ****s at the moment. Are you planning any mods for her?

Jared

Tricky
11-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm like a dog with two ****s at the moment.

:D :D :D

ha ha ha, I fit that description too. Just picked my black GTi up on Friday afternoon... great fun.

Come on, post some pics... I'll show you mine, if...

Oneofthegreats
11-02-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm planning to take photos of my new pride and joy this week. I'm also dragging my brothers white MK1 GTI Campaign out as well for a bit of nostaglia. We've both got 3dr's in white with sunroofs albeit mine's 24 years younger. I'm tipping you wouldn't see cars like that together very often!

Jared

JBSGTI
13-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey - Thanks for the Welcome!

Well one week on and some 850ks, very happy with my 3 door GTI. Certainly hasnt run in yet, but has started to losen up a little bit which is great. The dealer car i drove had 2000ks on it and had much more kick in 2nd gear compared to mine....i suppose thats just the benfit of a little more running in!.

Took my car up to Bendigo on the weekend, cruised beautifully. My mate has an 06 model M5....i realise there is a huge power advantage to the M5, *HOWEVER* flat out in 4th and 5th gear with him getting stuck into the M5 hard, he only slowly pulled away from my GTI....and he was in same gears annnnd in 500hp mode. I thought that was fairly impressive!...expected to get left well and trully behind!

Will try and get some pics up ASAP!

Oneofthegreats
13-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Can I ask who was driving the M5?

If the M5 was in 3rd rolling on from 100km/h the Bavarian V10 monster would have had you for breakfast, lunch & tea & would have to wait for you to catch up for two weeks.
For interest sake, the M5 doesn't make maximum torque till 6100rpm & maximum power till a sky high 7750rpm. Also it faster from 100 - 200km/h than any other production car this side Porsche 997 turbo!

If the M5 was only pulling away marginally, maybe the driver was to scared to lay all 500 ponies down or can we subject your car to a drug's test.

Don't get me wrong & I'm not having a dig & I know the GTI is a deceptively fast car, but I know from experience the GTI can't hold it's own against a car with an extra 300hp & 240Nm of torque.

Tim.

JBSGTI
14-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Hello Tim,

I agree with your comments entirely - 300hp and 240Nm torque is an advantage you cant argue with!.

All i can do is mention what happend. It is my mates M5 and he was driving it, he said to me he had it "Flat out" and in "M" mode meaning 500hp in 4th, 5th and 6th gears from speeds of about 80 - 150. Obviously i was behind him and could tell he was getting into it (before i confirmed with him) from the puffs of exhaust smoke coming from the quad exhausts under full acceleration.

I know it sounds entirely impossible and i actually thought twice about posting the experience on here for fear of beeing seen as a "story teller" or worse :)

I certainly didnt expect the GTI to keep within a mile of his back bumper, but as i said....the M5 pulled away but not at a quick pace. It could be said he was in 5th and i was in 4th.....i really cant explain it!. The only thing is maybe a 450 odd kilo weight advantage to the GTI.....i dont know how much difference this makes in rolling acceleration....obviously 0-100 the GTI would be S.E.V.E.R.L.Y embarassed!

Mind you, another mate of mine was with us and he comes from a worked V8 holden background and he was travelling in the M5 prior to the incident and he didnt think it was all that spectacular when it comes to performance....certainly not 373kw and 520nm torque worth so he says.

Certainly a stunning looking car though, sits on the road with a really mean presence!.

mhh
14-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Hello Tim,

I agree with your comments entirely - 300hp and 240Nm torque is an advantage you cant argue with!.

All i can do is mention what happend. It is my mates M5 and he was driving it, he said to me he had it "Flat out" and in "M" mode meaning 500hp in 4th, 5th and 6th gears from speeds of about 80 - 150. Obviously i was behind him and could tell he was getting into it (before i confirmed with him) from the puffs of exhaust smoke coming from the quad exhausts under full acceleration.

I know it sounds entirely impossible and i actually thought twice about posting the experience on here for fear of beeing seen as a "story teller" or worse :)

I certainly didnt expect the GTI to keep within a mile of his back bumper, but as i said....the M5 pulled away but not at a quick pace. It could be said he was in 5th and i was in 4th.....i really cant explain it!. The only thing is maybe a 450 odd kilo weight advantage to the GTI.....i dont know how much difference this makes in rolling acceleration....obviously 0-100 the GTI would be S.E.V.E.R.L.Y embarassed!

Mind you, another mate of mine was with us and he comes from a worked V8 holden background and he was travelling in the M5 prior to the incident and he didnt think it was all that spectacular when it comes to performance....certainly not 373kw and 520nm torque worth so he says.

Certainly a stunning looking car though, sits on the road with a really mean presence!.

Something doesn't sound quite right here. I'm not saying you didn't stay close but the idea that someone says they are "flat out" in an M5 between 80 - 150km/h when they are using 4th, 5th and 6th seems odd. I own an E60 M5 and if I wanted to go flat out between these speeds, I would be in 2nd, 3rd and maybe 4th.

And no-one who has ever been in my car has ever doubted the power and torque!

JBSGTI
14-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah - im certainly not knocking the M5 in anyway shape or form....or for that matter saying a GTI is in the same league of performance - cause its not!. The situation was out on the highway....i suspect he was cruising in 7th and dropped it back through the SMG to 6th, 5th and then 4th. :???:

I think the thing that made me take most notice is that the M5 in those gears did not pull away as quick as what i was expecting....it was a gradual pull away.....clearly different to my expectations of it storming away like a cut snake....maybe in 2nd gear?

As far as my other mates comment who felt the M5 wasnt as quick as what it should be, he reguarly drives a 11 second street commodore.....clearly its all relative! :D