PDA

View Full Version : Octavia review in top Gear mag

Graybags
12-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Just read the review of the Octavia vRS in Top Gear Australia Magazine October issue.
Like nearly all reviews (actually all reviews) it goes on about how fast/good/quality etc but you still come away feeling un-inspired by the whole thing. Bit of a shame because it craps all over anything else like it available in Australia today.

woofy
13-10-2009, 08:06 PM
VW need someone from Porsche to do a makeover, the uninspired thing is purely looks. Apart from Porsche, a lot of VAG cars look uninspiring.....but at least they aren't ugly like the RS Meganes...

mrgolf
16-10-2009, 07:28 PM
I used to hate the meganes. Now I think they are pretty nice. The hot ones look the biz.

Its more than looks. Its badge cred. It goes/feels like a GTI, but is more practical. It just doesnt have the charisma, which is something intangible... It has to shake off the Skoda image.

G-rig
16-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Reviews are pretty harsh these days, they are probably comparing it to a 911 or something. I'm sure it would be ****loads better than a commodore wagon and other offerings.

I don't take TGA seriously anyway so it doesn't matter.

Tensixty6
17-10-2009, 07:11 AM
http://www.caradvice.com.au/43355/skoda-octavia-rs-review-road-test/

Tested - 2009 Skoda Octavia RS TDI; 2.0-litre, four-cylinder, turbo-diesel; six-speed manual; wagon

Summary.

A capable tourer with budget conscious motoring at heart the Octavia RS TDI Wagon blends all the positives of frugal family motoring with that element of fun so often lacking in this segment, and if you can spare yourself from ticking option boxes, is one wagon certain to keep the whole family happy for many years to come – Dads included!

Graybags
17-10-2009, 07:29 AM
I don't take TGA seriously anyway so it doesn't matter.

Haha My thoughts as well! It's akin to people magazine.

spellbound
18-10-2009, 07:49 PM
I used to hate the meganes. Now I think they are pretty nice. The hot ones look the biz.

Its more than looks. Its badge cred. It goes/feels like a GTI, but is more practical. It just doesnt have the charisma, which is something intangible... It has to shake off the Skoda image.

Your right about badge cred , i remember people slagging audi in the early ninties , and vw too, boring looking , suspect quality and the old crap about bad resale , different story now days , skoda will get there but its a time factor of 5 to 10 years , word of mouth is still the best , and thats how subaru built their brand , quality build, solid dependable , skoda has it in bucket loads in the UK.

My heart had me heading straight into a golf gti again , but with my business , just not enough room in the back for stock .

Drove them back to back , rs is 95% of a gti , with a big bum , the head won .

Thats part of skoda's criteria , loads of space , and for those who need it its there , but with a sporty twist in the rs , love that wagon.

Interesting how smallish wagons are on the comeback , i see that vw are going to bring the mkv1 golf wagon to oz next year , i wonder why .

G-rig
18-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Your right about badge cred , i remember people slagging audi in the early ninties , and vw too, boring looking , suspect quality and the old crap about bad resale , different story now days , skoda will get there but its a time factor of 5 to 10 years , word of mouth is still the best , and thats how subaru built their brand , quality build, solid dependable , skoda has it in bucket loads in the UK.

Subaru still look boring and generic, not much character. I can see that the Skodas are like the early Audi's as far as desirablility and looks, but they represent excellent value and part of the VAG family. Audi's are and were more complicated than BMW however without the same Badge credit.

K1W1
19-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Audi's are and were more complicated than BMW however without the same Badge credit.

BMW only really started to get any real brand notice in Australia with the E30 323 of 1982 onwards. Prior to that they were very much a niche player. The 5 and 7 series were considered way below the equivalent Mercedes models well into the 1990's, it's really only been the last 10 years or so that those models have become at all dominant and respectible. When the X5 was released it attracted huge numbers of new buyers to BMW and way from things like Patrols and Landcruiser / Prado which had really been the only options before that (except Range Rover but that's another story).

In the early 1980's Audi's really were a bad car compared to the Japanese offerings they really were poorly spec'd for Australia and the people who could maintain them were few and far between.

In NZ we had Skodas sold in small numbers right through the cold war period. I think they used to be contra'd for wool or lamb or something so I have seen them regularly since the 1960s in small numbers. They were always somewhat plain and a bit niche but they were also always strong and reliable.

MJKooLio
25-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Interesting how smallish wagons are on the comeback , i see that vw are going to bring the mkv1 golf wagon to oz next year , i wonder why .

Tis all changing in this country! More people are buying Diesels too! Rather save money than waste it I say. :banana:

Buller_Scott
26-10-2009, 04:52 AM
i understand the effort they're making....

but after one edition, i reckon the mag lacks editorial credibility.

metaphors metaphors metaphors anyone?

the skodas are effing sweet. the authors are so uninspiring themselves that the only thing that stood out now, as i flicked through it just then, from the october issue, is the stats on the awd bmw x6m, the mercedes gullwing, and the ad of tonino lamborghini fragrance with the dude whose face looks like a chicken staring straight at the camera in zoolander mode.