PDA

View Full Version : golf R

Pages : [1] 2 3

pinzvidz
11-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Stuff the GTI, we'll go for one of these thanks! :biggrin:

Autoexpress R20 article (http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/233923/ultimate-golfs-ready-to-turn-up-the-heat.html)

RhysQ
11-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Me likey the specs very much, especially weighing much the same as the GTI and shooting to 100 in around 5 sec!

I really like the kit design including the LED daytime running lights and downforce improvements, but really dislike the wheels and baseball cap style rear spoiler.....thats thing is huge! luckily its only a render :)

The estimated price tag of GBP25,000 (3-door) works out about AUD$55,000. generally we get it a bit cheaper so will we see this thing come out just shy of $50K?? That's enticing!

jasn78
11-02-2009, 10:52 AM
forget the golf r20t sirroco mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :)

anarchycamp
11-02-2009, 11:47 AM
If thats real....that is my next car....no questions. :biggrin:

They are always toned down between render and production so i reckon not a bad look.

limmy
11-02-2009, 12:55 PM
very exciting. have been waiting for a long time to see these specs.

i'll take one in white.

ENERG1
11-02-2009, 12:55 PM
Just in time for an upgrade!!

BEAUTIFULLLL!!:biggrin:

Flaps
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I'll be getting one of these bad boys :)

Fury
11-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Must admit if they ditch the r32 i'll be looking at an audi a3/4 3.2ltr when its time to ditch the bora... I'm a v6 man, give me that smooth torque and effortless drive :)

Nice looking car though.

RhysQ
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm a V6 man, give me that smooth torque and effortless drive :)

i'm pretty confident 200kW and AWD will be quite effortless. then just get an APR chip and away you go.....world eating monster! I can't think of an N/A V6 that would keep up with that, even after chipping.

APR quotes Stage 1 chip power to be 239kW/430Nm (taken from the 8P Audi S3 section on the website). I'd imagine the Golf R20T will be the same as that after chipping. Anything from the other chip manufacturers yet?

Fury
11-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Well will most likely take one for a spin, but i'm not the biggest turbo fan... that and insurance doesnt like under 25's having turbo's.

RhysQ
11-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Well will most likely take one for a spin, but i'm not the biggest turbo fan... that and insurance doesnt like under 25's having turbo's.

Yeah i know what you mean. I'm 23 and I initially got a straight no from my insurance company due to my age and poor driving history :( (i'd already bought the car so i was a bit worried). Thanks to the folks having many company cars with the agency, my old man was able to 'persuade' them :D.

anarchycamp
11-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Whats amusing is that if you type Golf R20 in Google, VWW thread is #1 :)

Treza360
11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Interesting. The name is a little lame as it seems like a big step down almost with the number decreasing even though that's not what it actually is. And I hope they don't stick with the the centre exhaust pipes. One of the worst styling features of the MkV R along with the silver/chromed nose. :(
Specs sound alright and will be interesting to see if it does make it to production what the tuners can do with it. :D
Cheers,
Trent

Sharkie
11-02-2009, 10:35 PM
This is supposed to have the TTS motor not the S3. So 200kw not 188 and nobody has a chip for it yet. Expect more than the S3 chipped.

Also, will weigh quite a bit more than the GTI as 4Motion makes it about 200kg heavier.

BUT .... I'm placing an order now..... (well on Saturday) want to be guaranteed to have the 1st one from the dealer ..... (and I want that guarantee in writing)

5 door, silver in a manual thank-you. (Nobody wants to sell me a R32 to turbo)

geoff_gti
11-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Look pretty schmick!! Yeh the name does sound a bit of a let down but the T makes up for that in some respect. Maybe they could call it the R200-t (as in kw) haha.

Agreed Trent that the split tail pipes on the Mk IV look hotter too.

I'm still a bit uncertain of the styling on the Scirocco - perhaps it's just the more familiar shape of the Golf, but I think I'd go for this (the R20T) over the Studie R (or an equivalent).

anarchycamp
12-02-2009, 06:32 AM
BUT .... I'm placing an order now..... (well on Saturday) want to be guaranteed to have the 1st one from the dealer ..... (and I want that guarantee in writing)

If you order now you might end up with a rendered graphic, not a car. :nana:

I dont think they take orders on cars that dont exist...

Retired
12-02-2009, 08:21 AM
I reckon the Mk6 GTI looks much nicer than this, I don't like all the little crevises and things like that on this car.

I would take a new scirocco over this anyday.

MONEY PLS

Sharkie
12-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I dont think they take orders on cars that dont exist...

Dealers will actually take orders on any car that may possibly be sold by them in the future. All you need is a clear enough description to eventually match the vehicle and a deposit. The deposit is refundable if the car then eventually do not make it to the market within a set timeframe.

It reserves you a spot in the queue and if you get in early enough, you can be right at the front .... :biggrin:

That is what I am doing .....

Ordering R20T/GTI-R or equivalent, in silver, manual and 5 doors to be delivered as soon as it becomes available or within 18months whichever comes 1st with a refundable deposit if: (as an example)
1. I am unhappy with the price at release
2. The vehicle is confirmed not to be released in Australia
3. Subject to Finance approval.

All you need to be willing to do is to give them $500 to hold untill such time as 1 of the conditions are met or can not be met.

anarchycamp
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Nice one!!:biggrin:

...thats good to know. I'll probably be looking at mid/late 2010 so might work out quite nicely if UK are getting these late this year/early next year.

JVLR32
12-02-2009, 04:27 PM
NICE....but why dump a 3.2? why not a 3.2T.....instead of a 2.0T:duh:

Sorry but you cant replace a beautiful sounding quick :driver:R32

sierra055
12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
NICE....but why dump a 3.2? why not a 3.2T.....instead of a 2.0T:duh:

Sorry but you cant replace a beautiful sounding quick :driver:R32

AFAIK, they can't get the 3.2 to meet the new Euro emissions requirements.

I was all set for one of these too... until I stupidly took my other half down to VW for some parts and had a look at the Tiguan. She has her heart set on one of those now :duh:
At least I can save some money I suppose...

JVLR32
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
AFAIK, they can't get the 3.2 to meet the new Euro emissions requirements.

I was all set for one of these too... until I stupidly took my other half down to VW for some parts and had a look at the Tiguan. She has her heart set on one of those now :duh:
At least I can save some money I suppose...

:drinkbeer:how did they get the R36 to past emissions....
Personally i think its aload of ****:biggrin:...:driver:Revamp another R32:bowdown:

Treza360
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
:drinkbeer:how did they get the R36 to past emissions....
Personally i think its aload of ****:biggrin:...:driver:Revamp another R32:bowdown:
Different motor, it's a 60 degree V not a narrow angle and has FSI so it's much easier to meet the Euro standards.
The MkIV and to a lesser extent the MkV R32s will go down as classics. :):D
Cheers,
Trent

JVLR32
12-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Different motor, it's a 60 degree V not a narrow angle and has FSI so it's much easier to meet the Euro standards.
The MkIV and to a lesser extent the MkV R32s will go down as classics. :):D
Cheers,
TrentI forgot they were FSI...thanks...I think you will find that the Mk4 Rs will hold a better $$$$...

Treza360
12-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I forgot they were FSI...thanks...I think you will find that the Mk4 Rs will hold a better $$$$...
As long as people stop offering stupidly low prices for them on public forums (even if no one does buy it). ;) :)

JVLR32
12-02-2009, 06:55 PM
As long as people stop offering stupidly low prices for them on public forums (even if no one does buy it). ;) :)Agree m8...thats why i havnt sold mind....havnt been in a rush iva:biggrin:

SmutsGTI
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
That'll be my next car, but i'm betting with options it will be close to 70k

Smuts

Sharkie
14-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Placed my order this morning. I'll be the 1st in Brisbane to have one :biggrin: .... 18 to 24 months from now.

Std GTI MK6 due in December/January in Australia, R20 due 6 - 12 months later. And the dealer confirmed it will be AWD (4Motion).

The dealer happily took my deposit and conditions.

Golf Houso
14-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Placed my order this morning. I'll be the 1st in Brisbane to have one :biggrin: .... 18 to 24 months from now.

Std GTI MK6 due in December/January in Australia, R20 due 6 - 12 months later. And the dealer confirmed it will be AWD (4Motion).

What were the conditions Sharkie? AWD for one I'm guessing?

Sharkie
14-02-2009, 03:42 PM
... Ordering R20T/GTI-R or equivalent, in silver, manual and 5 doors to be delivered as soon as it becomes available or within 18months whichever comes 1st with a refundable deposit if: (as an example)
1. I am unhappy with the price at release
2. The vehicle is confirmed not to be released in Australia
3. Subject to Finance approval.

Conditions as above, except for a delivery timeframe as 18months as it may be a little bit longer than that :frown:

AND yes, I made AWD a condition.:) I ordered 5 door, but will settle for 3drs if that is all it will come with.

The R20T (they looked up some brief specs) will have 270HP = 200kw.

Golf Houso
14-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Conditions as above, except for a delivery timeframe as 18months as it may be a little bit longer than that :frown:

AND yes, I made AWD a condition.:) I ordered 5 door, but will settle for 3drs if that is all it will come with.

The R20T (they looked up some brief specs) will have 270HP = 200kw.

Ahhh ok cool, well looks the specs are confirmed then... Any reason for the preference of a 5 door?

Sharkie
15-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Ahhh ok cool, well looks the specs are confirmed then... Any reason for the preference of a 5 door?

Kids are getting too big to get in the back through the front doors. I prefer the looks of a 3dr but practicality (and she-who-must-be-obeyed) dictates the need for a 5 dr. :duh:

Lima
15-02-2009, 04:39 PM

Don't you just love dealers. AWD hasn't even been confirmed by Volkswagen HQ yet. But a dealer in Brisbane knows all.

Mind, it's a reasonably safe bet (hopefully). :driver:

gregozedobe
15-02-2009, 06:56 PM
Don't you just love dealers. AWD hasn't even been confirmed by Volkswagen HQ yet. But a dealer in Brisbane knows all. :

VWA HQ are notoriously tight fisted about releasing any info about new models. I asked about the Pirelli GTI and was told "We have no plans to import this model into Australia". I think at that time they were either on a ship to Oz or being held here before clearing customs.

And as long as you impose the right conditions on your deposit for a GTI-R you will probably be OK, plus you will get ahead of the rush when they finally arrive. Remember the waiting times for a Golf GTI when they first came out ?

Lima
15-02-2009, 08:06 PM
I wasn't referring to VW Australia, of course they can't confirm anything that the fatherland is yet to approve. :toast:

But I know what you're saying in regards to protecting one's deposit.

anarchycamp
15-02-2009, 09:42 PM

Your giving them money for something that doesn't exist...they must love you! :p

24 months of excitement awaits! :biggrin:

Sharkie
16-02-2009, 06:27 AM
One of my conditions obviously was a refund if VWA decides NOT to bring the R20T to Oz.

Interestingly when I asked if I could place an order on a Scirocco they said no ...... so something around the R20T must be valid .....

All I want to do is avoid the waiting list that happened at the release of the MK5 GTI where 12mnths+ waiting if ordered was the norm.....

Lima
16-02-2009, 08:49 AM
One of my conditions obviously was a refund if VWA decides NOT to bring the R20T to Oz.

Interestingly when I asked if I could place an order on a Scirocco they said no ...... so something around the R20T must be valid .....

All I want to do is avoid the waiting list that happened at the release of the MK5 GTI where 12mnths+ waiting if ordered was the norm.....

Yep, I can see where you are coming from, and as you've said you have protected yourself, so that's a thumbs up for you.

Not sure if you have seen this, but it goes in to some detail on the Scirocco and Australia...

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story/7E544FF1B7769DF1CA25755A00123D69?OpenDocument&Highlight=2,scirocco

limmy
19-02-2009, 04:23 PM
tough choice i reckon...if they bring out the scirocco...provided its awd. do you stick with your roots and go the golf...or do you switch to the dark side but you get an arguably fatter and lower car.

qsilverza
19-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Yes but it's not an N/A car. Now a V6+Turbo = Aural Enjoyment+Lots of speed ala Audi s4 B5;Godzilla's etc.

;279153']i'm pretty confident 200kW and AWD will be quite effortless. then just get an APR chip and away you go.....world eating monster! I can't think of an N/A V6 that would keep up with that, even after chipping.

APR quotes Stage 1 chip power to be 239kW/430Nm (taken from the 8P Audi S3 section on the website). I'd imagine the Golf R20T will be the same as that after chipping. Anything from the other chip manufacturers yet?

Lima
19-02-2009, 06:15 PM
tough choice i reckon...if they bring out the scirocco...provided its awd. do you stick with your roots and go the golf...or do you switch to the dark side but you get an arguably fatter and lower car.

Scirocco for sure. :driver:

mikepologti
20-02-2009, 02:55 AM
holy sh#t! i think im love,......ep thatll be my next car me thinks. sept i wont be getting it for another 3 years:duh:

Notorious-187
22-02-2009, 08:07 PM
The plus side about a 24 month wait means its another 24 months get saving.

Would love to get my hands on one of these in 2011.

mikepologti
03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
i read somewhere, that the one in the future r20, will have a modified 2l engine in them. so if its anything like the 2l found in the pirelli edition, expect evan more gains.

RhysQ
03-03-2009, 05:36 PM
i read somewhere, that the one in the future r20, will have a modified 2l engine in them. so if its anything like the 2l found in the pirelli edition, expect evan more gains.

As mentioned about a million times, it's pretty certain its the 200kW 2.0T used in the current Audi S3.

Sharkie
04-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Current information has it as the TTS engine (201kw) not the S3 (188kw). By the time the R20T launches it is more likely to be a new version of the A4/Q5 engine that has many new features.

RhysQ
04-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Current information has it as the TTS engine (201kw) not the S3 (188kw). By the time the R20T launches it is more likely to be a new version of the A4/Q5 engine that has many new features.

yeah sorry thats the one....i knew it was 200kW anyway j:

Sharkie
04-03-2009, 08:52 AM
The new gen 2.0T motors as now seen 1st in the A4 and Q5 has moved away from the K03/K04 turbo models and are using IHI turbos.

This coupled with many other internal changes will likely see much more tuneability for the next gen going forward.

Base power now starts at 155kw/350NM. Chip alone should see around 200kw. Oettinger's 1st pass at it already has it 11kw more than GTI chipped.

R20T likely (I'm hoping) to get this new gen motor suitably enhanced to make 200+kw.

Also since the Q5 has a 7 speed DSG hooked up to this new 2.0T it may be the option for the R20T as well. Only problem is both the new A4 and Q5 uses it in longitidunal setups not transverse as was the MK5 R32.

RhysQ
04-03-2009, 08:58 AM
R20T likely (I'm hoping) to get this new gen motor suitably enhanced to make 200+kw.

A good set of coilovers and it would be an absolute track weapon!

Will the IHI turbo's spool a lot slower, meaning boost on a 3K+. That's the advantage with the KKK turbo's, they were early spooling for boost on earlier and a large power band.

Sharkie
04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
;290393']
Will the IHI turbo's spool a lot slower, meaning boost on a 3K+. That's the advantage with the KKK turbo's, they were early spooling for boost on earlier and a large power band.

Not sure, but it makes 350NM from 1500-4200 rmin which indicates an early and very wide powerband with 155kw @ 6000rmin.

RhysQ
04-03-2009, 09:48 AM
oh ok, which VF code are VAG using in the engines. The Rex STI's use the VF35 to VF43 don't they?

The VF22 would be a good aftermarket option for the R20T...... they max out at about 400-450hp :D:D:D

gerhard
04-03-2009, 10:17 AM
The new gen 2.0T motors as now seen 1st in the A4 and Q5 has moved away from the K03/K04 turbo models and are using IHI turbos.

This coupled with many other internal changes will likely see much more tuneability for the next gen going forward.

Base power now starts at 155kw/350NM. Chip alone should see around 200kw. Oettinger's 1st pass at it already has it 11kw more than GTI chipped.

Also since the Q5 has a 7 speed DSG hooked up to this new 2.0T it may be the option for the R20T as well. Only problem is both the new A4 and Q5 uses it in longitidunal setups not transverse as was the MK5 R32.

I don't think you will see the Audi DSG transmission in the Golf - as you say, the Audi is north-south configuration, Golf is east-west.

This means the engine torque will have to be limited to 350nm in the DSG model, since that is the published maximum for the VW box.

The Nurgurgring Sciroccos were running only 350nm, so it's doubtful VW will deliver more in a production version of the car. I read somewhere that they have fed it 550nm reliably in a couple of test mules, and there are quite a few chipped cars running more than 350 with no apparent problems.

jayjay
04-03-2009, 08:23 PM
not to get too off topic, but the q5 uses a 7speed dsg with a 3.0 turbo diesel with 500nm stock.. so i'm guessing they have the next generation of dsg with higher torque handling capabilities.

i think i'd prefer an r20 scirocco. :rolleyes:

Sharkie
04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Yeah 3.0tdi Q5 has 7speed DSG and 500NM. The next gen DSG have been much improved and is much stronger.

This tech is now flowing through to base VWs as both the Mk6 Golf and the next Polo will have 7 speed DSGs available. FWD and transverse engines.

Very likely then will be available in the next GTI and in the R20T. Mine though will be a manual ........

My reasons for having ordered a R20T is ..... 2.0T and AWD in a VW body.

Scirrocco will not make it to OZ (and only has 4 seats). Will likely end up driving a 2.0T Tiguan (or a Q5) soon as a replacement for the wife's RAV4 whilst waiting for the R20T to arrive.

gerhard
05-03-2009, 08:05 AM
not to get too off topic, but the q5 uses a 7speed dsg with a 3.0 turbo diesel with 500nm stock.. so i'm guessing they have the next generation of dsg with higher torque handling capabilities.

i think i'd prefer an r20 scirocco. :rolleyes:

Yeah 3.0tdi Q5 has 7speed DSG and 500NM. The next gen DSG have been much improved and is much stronger.

This tech is now flowing through to base VWs as both the Mk6 Golf and the next Polo will have 7 speed DSGs available. FWD and transverse engines.

Very likely then will be available in the next GTI and in the R20T. Mine though will be a manual ........

My reasons for having ordered a R20T is ..... 2.0T and AWD in a VW body.

Scirrocco will not make it to OZ (and only has 4 seats). Will likely end up driving a 2.0T Tiguan (or a Q5) soon as a replacement for the wife's RAV4 whilst waiting for the R20T to arrive.

Gentelmen, the Audi 7 speed DSG is not the next gen VW DSG.

It's a completely different animal which is never likely to be in a VW car, since none of the current VWs can accommodate north-south engine. It's a shame, as the Selectronic is a beautiful design which is able to handle massive torque, much more than 500nm is possible.

The 7 speed dry clutch DSG that VW is now using was not flow-on tech from the Audi 7 speeder, either. Both were developed independantly, but of course sharing the twin clutch design. VW developed the 7 speeder for smaller engines and cars than the 6 speeder. It's a lot lighter and not as strong and loses the clutch oil supply and cooling circuits.

Here is a link to a good article with pictures of the new 7 speed S-Tronic. The 6 speed S-Tronic is much the same as the 6 speed VW DSG if not the same.

http://www.eurocarblog.com/post/677/the-new-audi-s-tronic-7-speed-gearbox

Sharkie
05-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks Gerhard, that makes it all much clearer, great info. Pity though .....

Q5 just climbed a notch on my estimation ladder .....

gerhard
05-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks Gerhard, that makes it all much clearer, great info. Pity though .....

Q5 just climbed a notch on my estimation ladder .....

I spent a lot of time drooling over the Q5 at the show - my pick for the 1800kg beast is the V6 diesel (slightly detuned Touareg motor) but at $72000 it's a big ask when you can get the Touareg for $75000. Extra $3000 for a larger, dual range equipped vehicle? The Touareg would win for me here.

It seems to go all right with the 2.0 turbo, but I reckon 1800kg is a bit of a haul for the small engine. The wide ratio spread possible in the S-Tronic obviously enables a high ratio for highway cruising and a low 1-2 for launching in traffic, thus giving a good average consumption of 8.5. But I reckon it would be around the 11.0-12.0 around town.

Beautiful car, though. $59,900 for the 2.0 petrol or diesel, watch out if you tick any options :) I have the price and specification list in front of me. :eek:

71990 V6 Diesel
1900 Paint
1065 Electric Tailgate
760 Colour Coding
1915 Electric seats with memory and climate control
6200 Navigation system

83830 Phew !! Roll on Tattslotto :)

Transporter
05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I spent a lot of time drooling over the Q5 at the show - my pick for the 1800kg beast is the V6 diesel (slightly detuned Touareg motor) but at $72000 it's a big ask when you can get the Touareg for $75000. Extra $3000 for a larger, dual range equipped vehicle? The Touareg would win for me here.

It seems to go all right with the 2.0 turbo, but I reckon 1800kg is a bit of a haul for the small engine. The wide ratio spread possible in the S-Tronic obviously enables a high ratio for highway cruising and a low 1-2 for launching in traffic, thus giving a good average consumption of 8.5. But I reckon it would be around the 11.0-12.0 around town.

Beautiful car, though. $59,900 for the 2.0 petrol or diesel, watch out if you tick any options :) I have the price and specification list in front of me. :eek:

71990 V6 Diesel
1900 Paint
1065 Electric Tailgate
760 Colour Coding
1915 Electric seats with memory and climate control
6200 Navigation system

83830 Phew !! Roll on Tattslotto :)

Did you get the on road price without any option?

gerhard
05-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Did you get the on road price without any option?

No, but it would go something like this in Vic

59900 rrp
3000 Dealer delivery ? guessing
800 Reg
1725 Stamp duty

65,425 Approx.

gregozedobe
05-03-2009, 11:32 PM
$ 6,200 Navigation system

How many people would actually spend that much on a navigation system !! ? Or does it include a great sound system with magic fingers and a guaranteed "happy ending" too ? :nana:

Sharkie
06-03-2009, 07:57 AM
How many people would actually spend that much on a navigation system !! ? Or does it include a great sound system with magic fingers and a guaranteed "happy ending" too ? :nana:

Its actually a bit more than just a navigation system, includes harddrive and all kinds of other goodies as well. No guaranteed "happy ending" but it does come with a "joystick" ....... :wasntme:

If I were to go this route .... and please bear in mind buying a Tig or a Q5 is for the wife not for me (I have to drive it as well so I have to like it ... and mod it) and will not replace the R20T .....

Q5 2.0TFSI 59900
Metalic Paint 1900
Sports Steering wheel 585
Sport design package 4326 (Leather + sports electric seats)
S-Line pack 3600
Total 70310 + ORC .... ( waiting for Audi's Openhouse with free on roads)
+ about $5000 in choice APR mods .....

Lams
06-03-2009, 01:00 PM
that is S3 Sportback money!

Treza360
06-03-2009, 04:01 PM
that is S3 Sportback money!
Well considering it's pretty much going to be a S3 in a Golf suit (isn't an A3, a Golf in an Audi suit *starts to go cross-eyed*), then that kind of makes sense doesn't it? Also don't forget when the MkIV R32 came here it was 63k.
Cheers,
Trent

RhysQ
06-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Well considering it's pretty much going to be a S3 in a Golf suit (isn't an A3, a Golf in an Audi suit *starts to go cross-eyed*), then that kind of makes sense doesn't it? Also don't forget when the MkIV R32 came here it was 63k.
Cheers,
Trent

Trez I think he's referring to the Q5 being S3 Sportback money... :?

Have a lay down mate :biggrin:

Sharkie
06-03-2009, 06:02 PM
R20T expected to be aroud $57K + ORC. VW dealer said the intent is to sell at (or close to) MK5 R32 prices.

Q5 is S3 Sportback money, yes, but serves a different purpose. Much more spacious = family executive car.

R20T & S3 = super sports hatchback.

Treza360
06-03-2009, 07:32 PM
;291632']Trez I think he's referring to the Q5 being S3 Sportback money... :?
Have a lay down mate :biggrin:
Right my bad. :duh:
Just ignore me I live in my own little world. :)
Cheers,
Trent

broady69
07-03-2009, 08:05 AM
If it looks anything like the pictures and the figs are right.....sign me up for one.

Sharkie
08-03-2009, 07:33 PM
If it looks anything like the pictures and the figs are right.....sign me up for one.
You'll have to stand in line broady ..... I've got the 1st one in SEQ booked already :biggrin:

broady69
09-03-2009, 07:50 AM
You'll have to stand in line broady ..... I've got the 1st one in SEQ booked already :biggrin:

No Probs, I'll take the second one. Yours will be the one all the Sales guys and workshop guys take for a spin before connecting the speedo...LOL:driver::driver:

RhysQ
09-03-2009, 09:08 AM
No Probs, I'll take the second one. Yours will be the one all the Sales guys and workshop guys take for a spin before connecting the speedo...LOL:driver::driver:

LOL........so true! :biggrin:

booba
09-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah me too... 1st eh? i put my money down on the 2nd Feb :D..

Anyway my conditions are AWD, Happy with price. Regardless of finance I can just get out simply with meh too expensive for me. :D

Booba.

Sharkie
09-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Yeah me too... 1st eh? i put my money down on the 2nd Feb :D..

Anyway my conditions are AWD, Happy with price. Regardless of finance I can just get out simply with meh too expensive for me. :D

Booba.

Which dealer was that with? I'll be pretty pee'd off if they have already started lying to me.... was promised I was their 1st order for it. And this after I had pretty much promised to buy a Tiguan in June as well.

otherwise pretty much the same as my conditions .... :)

Lima
13-03-2009, 10:23 AM
More speculation suggests an official reveal at Frankfurt in September and...

...all-wheel drive. :bluesbro:

http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/03/13/golf-r20t-gti-r-to-be-unveiled-in-september.html

Corey_R
30-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Can't believe there has been no discussion on this in 17 days! :o

After having my Oettinger/APR MKV GTI written off when a bus rear-ended me, I was all intent on placing an order for the MK6 GTI.... until I saw this.

Now my plan is to wait until it is shown at the show in Frankfurt and then make my decision between this and the GTI. I'm leaning towards the GTI-R except I also saw a news article a few weeks ago which said it might end up being a 'stripped out' version of the GTI focusing light weight....

... so I really want to wait until we know some concrete details :)

Zed!
30-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I think it's a good call to replace the V6 with a 2lT. I do love my R32, but if the R20 is significantly lighter, it will be truely awesome! I'd say that's one of the R32s shortcomings. It's just a bit too heavy and therefore not that quick, especially for 55k. It would struggle to keep up with a standard WRX, let alone the Sti. So I think 200kw and a big of a diet will see it become a direct competitor to the Evo/Sti etc.

Lima
30-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Can't believe there has been no discussion on this in 17 days! :o

Some new rumours/confirmation today!

The range topping GTI will be all-wheel drive, but won't be called the R20.
http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/03/30/all-wheel-drive-uber-gti-gets-sign-off.html

No idea what it will be called, but I guess GTI-R or 'R' GTI is the next best guess. Great news that AWD has been confirmed.

:driver:

RhysQ
30-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Great news that AWD has been confirmed.

.....not to forget the 200kW donk!! :biggrin:

philthy
30-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Sharkie will be happy :)

gerhard
30-03-2009, 06:19 PM
And some confirmation that they are rumours and the car is not known to VW Aus :eek:

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/tts-engine-for-super-golf-14658

They are painting a muddy picture all right !!

pinzvidz
30-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Ah bugger, maybe my thread title needs changing to "AWD MKVI" or "Whatever VW call the R32 replacement..."

Sharkie
31-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Some important things to note ....

the new GTI has a completely new 2.0 TFSI motor. Not merely a more powerful version of the old. Call it a V2.0 of the original.

So, the R20T/GTI-R (or whatever) is unlikely to have the TTS engine. More likely to be a 200kw version of the new engine. Which will eventually end up in the S3/TTS .....

I don't care, my order says "R20T/GTI-R or equivalent" and AWD (which has been confirmed :bowdown:)

I'm happy ....:biggrin:

RhysQ
31-03-2009, 06:40 PM
So, the R20T/GTI-R (or whatever) is unlikely to have the TTS engine. More likely to be a 200kw version of the new engine.

but in those articles it say the TTS powered blah blah blah :?

phaeton
31-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I know what it will be called :nana:

Well a pretty good guess anyway.

RhysQ
31-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I know what it will be called :nana:

Well a pretty good guess anyway.

any of these:

GT-R
GTI-R
R-GTI
R-GT

??

you can't say that and not tell us!!!

im not a mod but TELL OR BAN. come one mods, get behind me here! :D

phaeton
31-03-2009, 06:52 PM
;303593']any of these:

GT-R
GTI-R
R-GTI
R-GT

??

you can't say that and not tell us!!!

im not a mod but TELL OR BAN. come one mods, get behind me here! :D

R GT & R GTI sound good never thought of them.

Does anyone remember a year or so back that an image from VW Individual's dealer preview revealed an Golf RSI which was rumoured to have either a 3.6 V6 or 2.0T.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Sharkie
31-03-2009, 07:43 PM
;303589']but in those articles it say the TTS powered blah blah blah :?

Yes, but all those articles are just speculation, nobody from VAG has actually said what engine it is to be. Merely that it will have about 200kw and be 2.0TFSI, not "... it is the TTS engine ..."

And all the media then said, "ah ok, must be the TTS engine then" which will likely be wrong. Mk6 GTI has all new 2.0TFSI (and the A4 and the Q5), so more likely to be a modified version of the new gen engine rather than a 5 yr old engine.

I'd put money on an upspecced version of the new engine....... lots of nice new changes to that engine .... :biggrin:

Sharkie
31-03-2009, 07:46 PM
R GT & R GTI sound good never thought of them.

Does anyone remember a year or so back that an image from VW Individual's dealer preview revealed an Golf RSI which was rumoured to have either a 3.6 V6 or 2.0T.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

I've seen pics of an R36 Golf (MK5) doing hot weather testing in South Africa ..... never actually made it to the market .....:frown:

JVLR32
31-03-2009, 08:33 PM
Right my bad. :duh:
Just ignore me I live in my own little world. :)
Cheers,
Trentyour world is my world...R32:driver::bowdown:

JVLR32
31-03-2009, 08:33 PM
I've seen pics of an R36 Golf (MK5) doing hot weather testing in South Africa ..... never actually made it to the market .....:frown:mmm does look goodly:biggrin:

Lima
01-04-2009, 07:55 AM
More GTI 'R' stuff...

http://www.ausringers.com/2009/04/01/golf-gti-r-tested-on-the-nordschleife.html

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/GolfVIGTIRtesting01-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/GolfVIGTIRtesting02-1.jpg

:bluesbro:

Corey_R
01-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I saw this over at the GTD thread, but it mentions THREE GTI versions.
The GTI
This GTI-R/R20T that we're discussing here.
AND an even hotter version they dub the R42

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Volkswagen-Golf/235190/

So this 'R42' is supposedly going to have the same engine as the TT-RS - the 2.5L turbo. That'd be insane!

gerhard
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
The GTI

So this 'R42' is supposedly going to have the same engine as the TT-RS - the 2.5L turbo. That'd be insane!

That article is dates Sept 2008 - far too long ago to still have credence. There has been no mention of the 2.5 5cyl ince then, so I reckon it's just too "optimistic" :) We'd all love that engine in an AWD Golf, I reckon :biggrin:

Mr Messy
02-04-2009, 11:46 AM
New R20T spy pics on www.carmagazine.co.uk

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/VWGolfR20Tspyphotos2-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/VWGolfR20Tspyphotos1-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/VWGolfR20Tspyphotos3-1.jpg

gareth_oau
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
The GTI

wouldnt an R42 have the Audi 4.2 V8? now that WOULD be hott!!

gregozedobe
02-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Maybe VW are going to follow BMW's lead. The last 2 digits of a BMW's model badge used to denote the engine capacity, but once they started to turbocharge their engines it now denotes "power level" or somesuch, so IIRC it goes something like this :

328 = 3.0l NA (some power)
335 = 3.0l single turbo (lots of power)
340 = 3.0l twin turbo (lots & lots of power)

A "d" suffix means it is a diesel.

So far VW have stuck with straight engine capacity for their R series of cars, but I can see why they mightn't want to label their hi-po GTI with a high output turbo 2 litre petrol as "R20" when it is replacing the R32.

Sharkie
02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
There is lots out there pointing at a R20/GTI-R and almost nothing at anything bigger than that. So I'm not going to worry about it. R20T will be my last VW. I'll hang on to it for a long time as well so Stg3+ kit will be in its future. Next VAG car after that will be Porsche...... Anybody saw the articles on a Cayman with the TTS engine ??????

HOWEVER,

I saw spypics today of a RS3 ...... S3 5 door sportback with TT-RS engine doing track testing in Germany. 2.5 I5 turbo motor .... Now that would be interesting ..... and very very expensive for a hatchback .... think $90K ....

MrGadget
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
New R20T spy pics on www.carmagazine.co.uk

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/VWGolfR20Tspyphotos2-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/VWGolfR20Tspyphotos1-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/04/VWGolfR20Tspyphotos3-1.jpg

Hmm, why is there door protection mouldings?

gerhard
02-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Hmm, why is there door protection mouldings?

For the same reason there's no fog lights, and a TDI badge, and gaffa tape holding the roof and the side panel on. Disguise :)

Sharkie
05-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Spent sometime yesterday in a MK6 118TSI. I have to say the new interior is so much better than the MK5's. It is awesome. I'm trying to imagine what the R20T would possibly have inside, as atm even the 118TSI is good.

Waiting ... waiting .... waiting ..... (sigh)

MrGadget
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
For the same reason there's no fog lights, and a TDI badge, and gaffa tape holding the roof and the side panel on. Disguise :)

The central twin tail pipes don't fool me :)

decksla
05-04-2009, 04:30 PM
im not sold on the looks of the new r20 tbh.

i cant get the "toureg" bum image out of my head.

im sure the 4wd and slight performance increase will make up for it, but i still think the mk5 is better looking.....

....much the same way i think the mk3 looks better than the mk5 :D

dasauto
05-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Maybe VW are going to follow BMW's lead. The last 2 digits of a BMW's model badge used to denote the engine capacity, but once they started to turbocharge their engines it now denotes "power level" or somesuch, so IIRC it goes something like this :

328 = 3.0l NA (some power)
335 = 3.0l single turbo (lots of power)
340 = 3.0l twin turbo (lots & lots of power)

335 is twin turbo
340 may possibly be a figment of your imagination

the last two digits refer to displacement/100, I believe this is still the case, but exceptions exist.

Sharkie
06-04-2009, 06:17 AM
im sure the 4wd and slight performance increase will make up for it,

....much the same way i think the mk3 looks better than the mk5 :D

Slight performance increase ????? Mate, it should be a huge performance increase .... MK5 GTI 0-100km/h 7s (averaged DSG & man) R20T 0-100km.h 5.7s (using S3 figures which is less powerful)

And I agree Mk3 is better looking than Mk5 :)

Sharkie
10-04-2009, 06:51 AM
The R20T could be close than we think. Drive had an article online yesterday. Stating as much as 210kw and more importantly .... debut in October at Frankfurt with European deliveries starting late 2009 .... :eek:

They estimate Australian deliveries to start early 2010 .... :eek::eek::eek:

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62112&s_rid=smh:rainbowstrip:content2:09-04:9-4_golf:golfgtisbigbrotherspied

I'm barely going to have time to sort the Tiguan out before the R20 arrives at my door :biggrin:

gregozedobe
10-04-2009, 09:43 AM
dasauto, you must have missed reading the bit where I qualified what I said 3 times :

"power level" or somesuch, so IIRC it goes something like this :

the last two digits refer to displacement/100, I believe this is still the case, but exceptions exist.

They certainly do, and seeing as you wanted to be pedantic, I did a quick search (just for your education :)), and look what I found for recent 6 cyl BMW 3 series cars:

323i 2.5 litre
325i 3.0 litre
328i 3.0 litre
330i 3.0 litre
335i 3.0 litre

So out of five models, only ONE had the actual capacity/100 on the bootlid, but FOUR were different (that seems more like a rule than an exception to me ;) )

I think I may have proved my point, so if you want to continue this "discussion" please do it via PM so we don't clog up this VW thread any further.

Sharkie
10-04-2009, 11:51 AM
In the past BMW's badges always reflected the engine size. (I've had 5 so I know).

These days it purely is to differentiate between the different models in a range.

The BMW 3.0 engine now exists in various states of tune and thus we have currently in the 3 series around the world (not all of them in Oz) the 325i, 328i, 330i (actually a different engine to the other 3 & still sold around the world) and the 335i (twin turbo, no single turbo version exists)

This is the same principle as VW these days that sell the 2.0 TFSI in versions 125kw, 147kw, 155kw, 169kw, 195kw (188 in Oz) & 200kw around the world.

gregozedobe
10-04-2009, 10:25 PM
VW are also playing silly buggers with engine badges these days (when they bother to put them on).

The TSI badge used to mean a petrol engine with a Turbo AND a Supercharger (ie 1.4 Golf GT), but these days it only seems to mean petrol and turbo (mostly without a supercharger as well, but some with).

TDI badges have their own secret codes too. The general principle is the more red letters the more powerful the engine. So an engine with silver TD and a red I is more powerful than one with all silver TDI, but one with all red TDI is more powerful again (guess what colours the letters of my TDI are ? :) )

sixfootchoc
15-04-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62112&vf=2

Anyone seen this?

Lima
15-04-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=62112&vf=2

Anyone seen this?

About 2 weeks ago in this very thread...
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=303852#post303852

:bluesbro:

hokenmk3
15-04-2009, 08:21 PM
The TSI badge used to mean a petrol engine with a Turbo AND a Supercharger (ie 1.4 Golf GT), but these days it only seems to mean petrol and turbo (mostly without a supercharger as well, but some with).

the SI refers to throttle plates in the intake manifold which move to change the flow of the air in the intake manifold independant of the position of the actual throttle body. They improve fuel economy and torque at constant velocity in small engines. I don't know what the S and I actually stand for but I imagine it would be something along the lines of Smart Intake. Superchargers have nothing to do with it. The F is when the throttle plates are further forward in the intake manifold and the T does indeed mean turbo.
FSI, TSI, TFSI.

idaho
15-04-2009, 09:23 PM
... I don't know what the S and I actually stand for ...

Stratified Injection perhaps, as opposed to the more common port (homogeneous) injection.

hokenmk3
15-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Stratified Injection perhaps, as opposed to the more common port (homogeneous) injection.

Yeah! That makes good sense! It rings a bells too. I think I've heard Fuel Stratafied Injection somewhere before. That might be what the F stands for too! :biggrin:

KWICKS
16-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I thought FSI was Fuel Stoichiometric Injection.

limmy
16-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Slight performance increase ????? Mate, it should be a huge performance increase .... MK5 GTI 0-100km/h 7s (averaged DSG & man) R20T 0-100km.h 5.7s (using S3 figures which is less powerful)

And I agree Mk3 is better looking than Mk5 :)

plus S3 figures is based on manual...so you can safely say DSG will be quicker too...

Corey_R
16-04-2009, 03:40 PM
plus S3 figures is based on manual...so you can safely say DSG will be quicker too...

I'm not sure it will be. When the DSG first came out all the specs said it was quicker, better fuel consumption, lower CO2 etc. But now for the MK6 the DSG offers only the same or slightly worse acceleration, worse fuel consumption and worse CO2.

The UK specs for the GTI for example are:
6.9sec 0-62mph, 7.3 L/100km, 170g/km
6.9sec 0-62mph, 7.4 L/100km, 173g/km

hokenmk3
16-04-2009, 07:46 PM
I thought FSI was Fuel Stoichiometric Injection.

I googled it and it is Fuel Stratified Injection but it was called Fuel Stoichiometric Injection in The Netherlands when it was first released there as not to be confused with something Mitsubishi was marketing at the time.

Stratified means ranked or graded into the area of distribution.

Stoichiometric means the correct ratio between 2 chemicals.

what enlightening fun!

Sharkie
17-04-2009, 05:25 AM

Not necessarily..... VW have always made big performance noises about DSG being quicker than a manual. And it does change gears quicker than a manual and in VW's tests .... starting the clock when the car starts moving it has been quicker ....

HOWEVER when VW took the press to a drag strip to "prove" their claims the manuals beat the DSGs over the qrtr every single time ........:eek: (I can provide a link to the press report on this)

That bit of lag (and the press still reports on this in every test and I experienced it on a recent testdrive of the Q5) of a DSG upon pull-off when the lights turn green means the manual is gone ......

SO timed against the clock from when movement starts ... yes a DSG is quicker

BUT timed on a drag strip, the manuals still beat the DSGs .... PROVIDED the driver knows what he is doing as the DSG allows even tools to shift quickly :rolleyes:

Either way, I'm comfortable that the R20T/whatever will do it in a time around 5.7s ...:biggrin: ... and that is before I let the tuners near it .....

goodfella
17-04-2009, 08:54 AM
has anybody thought of VW using Audi's 2.5L turbo??

Heres that latest rumour (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090416.009/vw-golf-r20t-to-receive-20l-biturbo-with-300hp--awd-golf-r45-with-340hp-on-the-way)

anthony_VWJET
17-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Heres that latest rumour (http://www.worldcarfans.com/9090416.009/vw-golf-r20t-to-receive-20l-biturbo-with-300hp--awd-golf-r45-with-340hp-on-the-way)

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooW!:eek:

pologti18t
17-04-2009, 09:42 AM
FSI = Direct Injection normally aspirated.

TSI = the new range of turbo, turbo+supercharged engines.

gareth_oau
17-04-2009, 10:13 AM
oh damn, and i thought they were gunna drop the 5L twin turbo in there:frown:

Lima
17-04-2009, 10:39 AM

I have, but I discounted the idea. Would be fantastic if it happened, but I'll believe it when I see it.

ENERG1
17-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Sounds very promising for the future of vw sport fans!!:biggrin:

LUKE

GoLfMan
17-04-2009, 11:24 AM
I'll believe it when I see it :(

if i do see it, Im buying one :D

balkanac
17-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I've had enough of golfs. I want that Scirocco R20 or R45, whatever they decide to put in it. Although 390hp golf sounds good too :)

Sharkie
17-04-2009, 01:14 PM
I've had enough of golfs. I want that Scirocco R20 or R45, whatever they decide to put in it. Although 390hp golf sounds good too :)

I'm pretty much the same .... altough a R20T was just too good to pass on ..... considering I'm planning some substantial upgrades .......

I'm actually holding out for the upcoming Porsche Cayman with the TTS engine rumoured to be due in 12mnths ........ would dump the R20t in a heartbeat for that ......

Golf Houso
17-04-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm actually holding out for the upcoming Porsche Cayman with the TTS engine rumoured to be due in 12mnths ........ would dump the R20t in a heartbeat for that ......

Wouldn't it still be twice as much as the golf model though?

Sharkie
17-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't it still be twice as much as the golf model though?

Yes but it will actually go around corners really well ...... I've seen Guy's Cayman S do quicker lap times than a GT3 ... so imagine decent power and more importantly massive torque (once tuned) attached to that magnificent chassis .....

Cost ? well its rumoured to be for the entry model into the Cayman range .... :duh: ... so cheaper than the others .... go figure, I'd buy it over any of the others ....

Jmac
17-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Ive worked for Porsche for a long time and worked and driven both vehicles, as well as with Tomas Mezera at Mt Cotton and although the Cayman is one of my Favorites and is a truly awesome car i must say i think the driver in the Gt3 must have been asleep that day:)
Jmac

Sharkie
17-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Ive worked for Porsche for a long time and worked and driven both vehicles, as well as with Tomas Mezera at Mt Cotton and although the Cayman is one of my Favorites and is a truly awesome car i must say i think the driver in the Gt3 must have been asleep that day:)
Jmac

LOL ... yes, he wasn't the quickest I've seen .... :biggrin:

but then again Guy's Cayman S is far from stock, in true Guy fashion he has thrown the works and then some at it......

gregozedobe
17-04-2009, 07:05 PM
FSI = Direct Injection normally aspirated.

TSI = the new range of turbo, turbo+supercharged engines.

And if they ever put a straight supercharged motor (a la Audi's latest V6) into a Golf, then it will probably also have a TSI badge, just to keep the marketing boffins happy ;)

Jmac
17-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah i know remember my apprentice still works at PCB;-)
Bags me shot in your R20T mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Jmac

hokenmk3
17-04-2009, 11:30 PM
And if they ever put a straight supercharged motor (a la Audi's latest V6) into a Golf, then it will probably also have a TSI badge, just to keep the marketing boffins happy ;)

The letters F, T, S and I have specific meanings. I have explained them in this thread. The 1.4 GT has a turbo motor. The supercharger is like the first turbo in a twin turbo and only for reducing turbo lag and helping an earlier spool up. It is a "twin charger" system. If a VW had a supercharger and no turbocharger, it wouldn't get the T. VW don't flippantly throw letters and numbers together like bimmer does. They are intended to inform the buyer of which technologies the vehicles possess. Knowing what a boffin is might help one's fear of acronyms.

gregozedobe
18-04-2009, 01:22 AM
VW don't flippantly throw letters and numbers together like bimmer does. They are intended to inform the buyer of which technologies the vehicles possess.

Your faith in the accuracy and integrity of the VW organisation is both admirable and heart warming, unfortunately the empirical evidence tells a different story :(

Until recently VW was using the TSI acronym only on the 1.4 GT engine (the "twincharger" one with with both a turbo and a supercharger), and TFSI for the 2.0 petrol engine with a turbo. These days both engines get the TSI acronym (as does the new cam chain driven version of the 2.0 turbo petrol).

For another example, look at the usage of the words "Bluetec", "BlueMotion" and "Adblue" in association with VW models being marketed as having superior fuel economy and/or emissions control).

If a VW had a supercharger and no turbocharger, it wouldn't get the T.

Sorry, not always (don't you just hate those annoying exceptions to the "rules" ) - the "VW Touareg V6 TSI Hybrid" - has, wait for it..... a supercharged V6 (and, unfortunately for your theory, nary a Turbo to be seen).

And just to be different, it seems Audi are marketing their version of the 3.0 V6 supercharged (ie no turbo) engine under the "TFSI" banner.

So until I see convincing evidence to the contrary, you can see why I will continue to hold the opinion that (unfortunately) those pesky marketing boffins have more say in this matter than the engineers and engine designers at VW.

hokenmk3
18-04-2009, 05:50 PM
These days both engines get the TSI acronym (as does the new cam chain driven version of the 2.0 turbo petrol).

Sorry, not always (don't you just hate those annoying exceptions to the "rules" ) - the "VW Touareg V6 TSI Hybrid" - has, wait for it..... a supercharged V6 (and, unfortunately for your theory, nary a Turbo to be seen).

And just to be different, it seems Audi are marketing their version of the 3.0 V6 supercharged (ie no turbo) engine under the "TFSI" banner.

So until I see convincing evidence to the contrary, you can see why I will continue to hold the opinion that (unfortunately) those pesky marketing boffins have more say in this matter than the engineers and engine designers at VW.

Fair enough. Your point is valid. It does seem that the VW marketing division has decided to cash in on the cliche of TFSI. They still have throttle-plated manifolds and are charged by a compressor rather than a roller so it is still describing the vehicle's tech. VW own Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini and the off shoots (as I'm sure you are aware) so in these difficult times of reduced new vehicle sales, marketing needs to squeeze their past success for every ounce it's worth.

SI makes a cool noise with an airpod!

limmy
18-04-2009, 09:15 PM
sharkie - would be interested to see this link you speak of. did they use launch control?

my point being - i still think the R20 will be quicker than the current S3.

HOWEVER when VW took the press to a drag strip to "prove" their claims the manuals beat the DSGs over the qrtr every single time ........:eek: (I can provide a link to the press report on this)

tdi guy
18-04-2009, 10:30 PM

That bit of lag (and the press still reports on this in every test and I experienced it on a recent testdrive of the Q5) of a DSG upon pull-off when the lights turn green means the manual is gone ......

Doesn't launch control overcome the lag by pre-selecting 1st and engaging the clutches?

TG

Sharkie
19-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Yeah, I also believe R20T will be quicker than S3 ... both manual or DSG.

VW developed launch control in response to the embarrassement at the drag day ...... which improved things immensely but still don't match a properly driven manual on the strip. I'll find the link and post up.

However, you can't go around and use launch control every time you stop at a set of lights so the hesitation will still be there .... :frown: ... Some say you get used to it .... I won't though.

EDIT: found the link .... http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=754&fArticleId=2470517

Zed!
20-04-2009, 03:23 PM

VW developed launch control in response to the embarrassement at the drag day ...... which improved things immensely but still don't match a properly driven manual on the strip. I'll find the link and post up.

However, you can't go around and use launch control every time you stop at a set of lights so the hesitation will still be there .... :frown: ... Some say you get used to it .... I won't though.

EDIT: found the link .... http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSectionId=754&fArticleId=2470517

Yeah if i wanted a traffic light dragster I wouldn't have opted for a DSG.

gregozedobe
21-04-2009, 11:24 PM
So, what badges can we expect to see on these new Golf GTIs with extra go-power ?

I'm guessing "GTI-R" for the awd S3-alike, and maybe "Golf RS" for the super duper twin turbo insane one (in the unlikely event that VW actually do make them, and the even less likely event that they actually sell them here in Oz).

I can't see the marketing bods being keen on an "R20" as identifying the replacement for the current "R32".

I personally still have my doubts as to whether either will actually be sold in Oz, as they would be too close to Audi S3s and RS3s in performance and handling, but at a signficantly lower price.

Sharkie
22-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Not too worried about the badge on the car to be honest. Whatever it will be called I'll be happy .... :)

VW's head of development/engineering has confirmed the R20T/GTI-R's indtroduction at the Frankfurt Motorshow in October and that it will be AWD and be on sale in Europe late 2009. So it will definately be built. It may actually make a sneek preview at the 24hr Nurburgring event in May ..... keep your eyes peeled .... (same as the Scirrocco did in 2008 )

VWA dealers are busy taking orders on it, so they must be confident of its arrival in Australia in 2010. In contrast, they are refusing to take orders on the new Scirrocco, so that to me is a definate indication ......

Not so sure is the 2.5TT version (As in RS3/TT-RS). I also think it to be very unlikely that this car would make it into production. I'd love to see it but am doubtful. For instance the 2.5l N/A has been axed from the USA's MK6 line-up but that was a V5 and not a L5 so not really comparable.

mr gee
22-04-2009, 07:20 PM

When the Golf V first came out with the DSG and launch control, Best Motoring did a side by side test and the manual lost.

tdi guy
22-04-2009, 09:47 PM
When the Golf V first came out with the DSG and launch control, Best Motoring did a side by side test and the manual lost.

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/04/25/volkswagen-dsg-direct-shift-gearbox/

enjoy...

Sharkie
23-04-2009, 08:26 AM
http://paultan.org/archives/2006/04/25/volkswagen-dsg-direct-shift-gearbox/

enjoy...

LOL ... I don't think a couple of Japanese guys with no real timing equipment and what looks like a std road proves anything. Seems to me their "timing" equipment also started working when the car started moving which proves absolutely nothing.

The problem with DSG is not how fast it shifts, which is brilliant, but the very noticable hesitation you get off the line when working according to a set of external lights.

That hesitation is so noticable that every respectable motor magazine in the world comments on it and it would drive me nuts in daily driving, not even to mention on the odd occasion I'd like to start fast.

Thanks, but no thanks, manual it is for me. Sticking it in D for "Dummy" just won't do .... :)

gregozedobe
23-04-2009, 09:20 AM
The problem with DSG is not how fast it shifts, which is brilliant, but the very noticable hesitation you get off the line when working accoding to a set of external lights.

Thanks, but no thanks, manual it is for me. Sticking it in D for "Dummy" just won't do .... :)

I'm with Sharkie on this one - mind you, if I did a lot of driving in stop-start traffic I might reconsider ;)

gareth_oau
23-04-2009, 11:09 AM
D for "Dummy"

j:j:j: Love it!!!j:j:j:

I'm a manual driver through and through!!

Zed!
23-04-2009, 12:30 PM
LOL ... I don't think a couple of Japanese guys with no real timing equipment and what looks like a std road proves anything. Seems to me their "timing" equipment also started working when the car started moving which proves absolutely nothing.

The problem with DSG is not how fast it shifts, which is brilliant, but the very noticable hesitation you get off the line when working according to a set of external lights.

That hesitation is so noticable that every respectable motor magazine in the world comments on it and it would drive me nuts in daily driving, not even to mention on the odd occasion I'd like to start fast.

That is definitely the downside to DSG and it's f**king annoying! But it really is negated by the speed at which you can change gears. I can drive a section of road, going down a hill, round a roundabout and exiting at speed, doing 6/7 gear changes in 3 or 4 seconds. A manual could never compete and I guess within 5 years(?) most performance cars will have a DSG style box as standard. Maybe. :)

Lima
15-08-2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/VWGolfVIR20spy01-1.jpg

200kW Golf R20 4motion one step closer to reality (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/08/14/200kw-golf-r20-4motion-one-step-closer-to-reality.html)

Also, check out Autocar (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/242481/) for more images.

Official confirmation is expected to be announced by VW at the Frankfurt Motor Show in about four weeks.

:banana:

RhysQ
15-08-2009, 12:59 AM
The front bar looks very similar design to the Studie R Scirocco (pictured below).... and is that mesh on top of the bonnet.....bonnet vents like the Studie R?? Also, are those DRL's I see at the top of the side grills, or just indicators?

Either way will look damn sexy.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/08/vwsciroccostudyrbologna-1.jpg

phaeton
15-08-2009, 08:17 AM
I can't wait till Frankfurt :D

I've taken the week off work so I can post all new VW models unveiled.

So far expected..........
Golf R
Golf 6 Wagon
Polo 3dr (possibly GTI) [like Astra 3dr style]
Amarok
T5 revamp
Touran facelift
Tiguan facelift
One Litre Concept
New Lupo (electric ??) (rumour)
Golf BlueMotion consuming 2l per 100km (rumour)

and a whole heap of new variants with BlueMotion technology which comprises of EcoFuel, Stop Start, new 1.6 TDI, new Twin Turbo TDI, electric drives and much more.

Possible unveils
Eos facelift
Sharan mk2 (probably unveiled at Bologna in December)
Phaeton facelift (Geneva or Leipzig)
Touareg facelift (LA or Detroit)

limmy
19-08-2009, 08:48 PM
agree...can't wait til frankfurt. wish i could be there! think the R20 is going to be awesome...

Jayse
20-08-2009, 10:42 AM
agree...can't wait til frankfurt. wish i could be there! think the R20 is going to be awesome...

x2!
Hoping to get this for the second car after our 1st child comes in the new year. Hoping it's all it says(everyone other than the mute VWA) it will be!!

Hey guys, what do we think pricing will come in at? Below or above current MKV R32? Would hope lower than due to smaller engine??? maybe....

Cheers,
Jayse.

Sharkie
20-08-2009, 11:50 AM
x2!

Hey guys, what do we think pricing will come in at? Below or above current MKV R32? Would hope lower than due to smaller engine??? maybe....

According to my dealer, they expect pricing to be similar to the R32 as the R20 will be its direct replacement.

Jayse
20-08-2009, 11:59 AM
According to my dealer, they expect pricing to be similar to the R32 as the R20 will be its direct replacement.

typical..hoping it's packed with more goodies then!

time will tell i guess...Sharkie, have you gotten any usable info out of your dealer for the R20? ETA??

Cheers,
Jayse.

tentacles1
15-09-2009, 04:47 AM
See the link for details on the Golf R. Honestly does nothing for me apart from the wheels. Disappointing performance specs too. Scirocco R for me thanks!!!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Volkswagen-Golf/243270/

Yevvy
15-09-2009, 08:05 AM
yeah bodywork is a little disappointing but it isn't ugly, so thats alright. the times are prob BS. should be quicker than that, unless it weighs more than the moon

tentacles1
15-09-2009, 08:21 AM
Yeah I completely agree about the times, heard whispers of mid 5s but we will just have to wait for the official details.

pinzvidz
15-09-2009, 08:25 AM
:eek: C'mon VW you can't be serious?!? Let's hope this report is wrong re: performance specs.

Lima
15-09-2009, 08:39 AM
I reckon it looks pretty good! :banana:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/VWGolfRleak01-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/VWGolfRleak02-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/VWGolfRleak03-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/VWGolfRleak04-1.jpg

Tim
15-09-2009, 08:40 AM
I reckon that looks a lot lot nicer than the GTI. Wheels will have to go though!

philthy
15-09-2009, 08:51 AM
I reckon that looks a lot lot nicer than the GTI. Wheels will have to go though!

+1. Wheels are nasty, but the details of the grille and smoked taillights etc. are very nice IMHO.

It's a bit of a shame they didn't splash some matt chrome around the front.

team_v
15-09-2009, 09:08 AM
+1. Wheels are nasty, but the details of the grille and smoked taillights etc. are very nice IMHO.

It's a bit of a shame they didn't splash some matt chrome around the front.

Agree completely.
The press release thread is in the watercooled media lounge.

Matte Chrome = Brushed aluminium????

philthy
15-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Matte Chrome = Brushed aluminium????

Whatever the stuff is around the grill on the current R's :)

Golf Mark 6
15-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I think it looks pretty nice apart from the wheels. I really like the R32's low-profile spoked wheels, they'd look awesome on the new version.

The rims in the pioc look very similar to the ones on the standard TSI (but bigger). Perhaps Golf is trying to get a standardised "corporate look" for their wheels?

The performance figures seem ridiculous. I'd wait for the actual launch in Frankfurt before worrying about them...

mrpayne
15-09-2009, 12:31 PM
I would say that the figures have been 'watered down' somewhat as to keep some space between this and the S3, wouldn't want to be seen to be hunting its big brother, which has very similar sort of specs...

Dyldo
15-09-2009, 12:39 PM
yeah, i reckon the figures have bee watered down similar to the way WRX/Evos would have their hp figures muddled to get past Jap laws. Seeing as the S3 will be a majorly mouth-watering car, VW wouldn't want to sniper the S3 sales by selling a cheaper "same" car.

As for the rims, I'll let them sit for a while. I don't know what it is about rims, but it takes me AGES to like/dislike a rim. I hated the Zolders when they came out and now i really like them. Jury is still out on the Omanyts.

As for the overall looks, I have to say it is EXACTLY what i thought it'd be. Sure, the Scirocco will look the ducks nuts but the Golf R looks to me to be the perfect design to complement the current Mk6's and the look. Lets face it, the jump they've made from the Mk5 to the Mk6 is nothing like the style jump they made from the Mk4 to the Mk5. As many have said, the Mk6 is really a Mk5.5, so the Golf R looks fine.

The key with the R is its vocal chords. I wanna know and hear and feel what this baby sounds like. The 2 R's before it have sounded absolute amazing.

Golf Mark 6
15-09-2009, 01:12 PM
now if VW Australia is nice enough to release BOTH the R-'Rocco and the R-Golf here It'd make a lot of us happy...

Corey_R
15-09-2009, 05:02 PM
I personally love those rims. They looked great on the Scirroco R, and they look great on this imo.
As for all of you who are surprised by the styling. Given this has basically all the changes to it which the Scirroco R did, I'm not sure how you could be surprised?! :)

cktsi
15-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I really liked the differentiation between the Mark V R32 and the rest of the Mark V range. They should have done something more visually on the front other than solely use the GTI's beefed up mouth-full-of-marbles bumper & the LED's.

The Mark V R32 looks better than this Mark VI R20 IMHO.

I don't think that they're worried about the cannibalisation of S3 sales from the R20. It's a different market. Audi do use different componentry & have more features e.g. their electrically adjustable seats for driver & passenger. No golfs have this.

I saw an S3 just yesterday, and visually it stands out from the standard A3 and definitely looks better than the R20 (esp with it's fantastic lights!)... so it's apples & oranges to me.

At the end of the day though... irrespective of it's looks, I'm just glad there's a Golf AWD halo car to look up to :D

G-rig
15-09-2009, 06:18 PM
I think they've done a good job and it looks great..

The wheels look good to me in this shot (but nothing you can't change anyway):

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/VWGolfRleak02-1.jpg

aeon
15-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Looks great to me, and I do like the wheels on it - shame it's way out of my budget though, MKVI Golf GTI for me in the near future hopefully.

mattyf83
15-09-2009, 09:42 PM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Volkswagen-Golf/243138/

This website is quoting mid to high 5's for the 0-100. Sounds more like it. and more pics too.

Im new here so Hi. I currently have a Polo GTI but am looking to upgrade. Looking at Golf 118, Golf GTI and maybe Golf R if i can get for mid 50's (doubt it). Prob GTI though.

cktsi
15-09-2009, 10:01 PM
I googled just then and lots of postings only 15 mins old have sprung up everywhere.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/volkswagen-golf-r-2009-09-15

http://www.carsales.com.au/news/2009/small-passenger/volkswagen/golf/volkswagen-golf-r-busts-out-16668

http://www.worldcarfans.com/109091421719/vw-golf-r-uncovered-ahead-of-frankfurt-debut/lowphotos

VW Press release reprint?
http://www.germancarzone.com/golf-jetta-gti-rabbit-eos/30742-frankfurt-motor-show-2009-golf-r.html

I do like the alloys now that i've seen hi res close ups !

(edited)... the last link looks to be a press release from VW and they've stated 0-100 in 5.7 secs

ox518
15-09-2009, 10:18 PM
I may trade in my 118tsi for this.........

cktsi
15-09-2009, 10:21 PM
I may trade in my 118tsi for this.........

no kidding! Piano black gloss rear diffuser. ok... so the rear is at least differentiated from the rest of the Golf range :D. The only question left for me after the german car fans article is.... 'what does it sound like?' And I'm a HUGE fan of the R32's exhaust note

mattyf83
15-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Anyone wanna guess how much

65 on the road? Will GPS, Sunroof be standard kit? Will Leather Seats be an option?

MACCAA
15-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Anyone wanna guess how much

65 on the road? Will GPS, Sunroof be standard kit? Will Leather Seats be an option?

UK price is 28000 Pounds +
That's over 500 Pounds DEARER than an Audi S3.......
And no,that's not a misprint.
Good luck selling them at that price!

limmy
16-09-2009, 12:07 AM
i'm gonna have some sweet dreams about this car tonight when i go to bed. :rolleyes:

prices in GBP
focus RS 26395
audi S3 27480
golf R32 25570 (price at 2006)
golf R 28000

i'll take the golf R over the S3 and RS any day of the week. for the love of the brand...
plus really, when you look at the dollar terms/percentage difference between the golf R and R32, it's comparable pricing difference to stock mkv GTI and pirelli. you're paying a bit extra for a quicker, lighter car with a few extra features.

but you're right maccaa, think UK will find it tough selling them at that price...like all cars over GBP 25k.

mattyf83 - GPS, sunroof and leather will all be options. standard seats will be GTI spec seats in cloth trim (as per photos) but supposedly have alcantara bolsters.

Lima
16-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi res pics available on AUSmotive. (http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/09/15/volkswagen-golf-r.html)

Can't wait to see one of these in the metal. :banana:

Giallorosso
16-09-2009, 06:33 PM
I think it looks awesome, especially from the front.

VOLKSMAN
16-09-2009, 09:55 PM
i feel speechless i should let the pics do the talking...

with 270hp through a newly revised 2ltr tfsi engine pumping out 18psi of charged boost through the new generation Haldex system,

"what in earth has Volkswagen created"

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/golfr1-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/golfr2-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/golfr3-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/golfr5-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/golfr6-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/golfr800-2.jpg

The_Hawk
16-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I think I just soiled myself a little, looks like I have a new favourtie car ;)

RhysQ
16-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Well, it looks like Sharkie WILL be getting one, and the first in Aus as per his long standing contract (oh....well straight after all the VW techs and sales guys have smashed it to bits around the block 100 times)! :eek:

VOLKSMAN
16-09-2009, 10:55 PM
im just so glad vw has launched this car to the subaru and mitsubishi hatch back market where the new R can step up and take on the competition.

GoLfMan
16-09-2009, 11:02 PM
i love it :D

the trim on the seats however looks bloody rubbish! What were they thinking!

ox518
16-09-2009, 11:18 PM
I love it........but with leather seats......

VOLKSMAN
16-09-2009, 11:24 PM
guys the seats have been donored from the R36, i am sure vw would have another option on the list for recaros but like many vw options you will have to sell a kidney for it.

dodgey
17-09-2009, 12:22 AM
And in the UK, it's more expensive than the S3.... :eek:

poloplayer
17-09-2009, 12:29 AM
The looks seem a bit too similar to the normal golf :frown: And i think only one question matters now, will it sound as good as the old VR6 engine? :confused:

mikepologti
17-09-2009, 01:13 AM
druels all wheel drive 2lt turbo..........fgdgjh (more drueling).........release dates anyone?

balkanac
17-09-2009, 05:25 AM
OMG the performance is really dissapointing. Give me a nice stretch of road and let me do a good launch and the new R will be beaten by the original :eclipsee_steering:
It looks nice

G-rig
17-09-2009, 07:47 AM
OMG the performance is really dissapointing. Give me a nice stretch of road and let me do a good launch and the new R will be beaten by the original :eclipsee_steering:
It looks nice

Not after a retune..

GoLfMan
17-09-2009, 08:10 AM
And in the UK, it's more expensive than the S3.... :eek:

WWHHHHAAAATTTTT!!!

would have though this would have been a 'cheaper' S3!!! :confused:

pologti18t
17-09-2009, 08:21 AM
It looks nice

Really? more power and Nm and less weight. How could a R32 beat it? Performance figures are the same as the S3.

Sharkie
17-09-2009, 08:51 AM
;388203']Well, it looks like Sharkie WILL be getting one, and the first in Aus as per his long standing contract (oh....well straight after all the VW techs and sales guys have smashed it to bits around the block 100 times)! :eek:

I will be taking a sleeping bag and tent and sleep next to it from the moment it arrives at the harbour to the moment I take delivery. :rolleyes:

I will be making it very clear to them that I will sue their pants off (Austral's) that is if they dare let anybody touch it without my permission........ and I'm not kidding either.

Sharkie
17-09-2009, 09:00 AM
It looks nice

It will be better than any previous R Golf in all aspects except 1 ..... the sound of the engine.

Its lighter, more powerful and has a new genenration 4Motion system. Its almost a full second quicker to 100km/h than the Mk5 ....

AND that is while it is still standard ....

The biggest attraction for me is the fact that for about $2K extra I will have at least 40kw and almost 100NM extra above stock and be looking at sub 5s 0-100km/h. You will need to spend $50K+ on a Mk5 R32 to get similar performance ......

team_v
17-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Sharkie, I can imagine your car will be spending a lot of time with Guy.

Very jealous, this is an awesome machine.

Sharkie
17-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Sharkie, I can imagine your car will be spending a lot of time with Guy.

Very jealous, this is an awesome machine.

LOL, yeah, it will have to fall in line behind the Tiguan though, thats planned to visit Guy in 200kms (or 2 months max) , (I've had it 3 months and have only done 800kms) :duh: so its overdue for its visit ..... which by the way will be quicker than a Mk5 R32 as well once it makes 200kw/400NM ........

team_v
17-09-2009, 09:21 AM
LOL, yeah, it will have to fall in line behind the Tiguan though, thats planned to visit Guy in 200kms (or 2 months max) , (I've had it 3 months and have only done 800kms) :duh: so its overdue for its visit ..... which by the way will be quicker than a Mk5 R32 as well once it makes 200kw/400NM ........

Awesome work.
That is the plan for when i get my tig as well, just top bump it up to about 200kw.

What are you going to use the R for, track time or enjoyable driving etc?

bazzle
17-09-2009, 09:41 AM
http://www.zercustoms.com/photos/Volkswagen-Golf-R.html
http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Volkswagen-Golf-R.html

Does it for me, its not a Scirroco its a Golf with Haldex 4wd system.

http://www.ausmotive.com/2009/09/15/volkswagen-golf-r-details-emerge.html

It would have to sound diff too with the 2 centre exh similar to MkV model in looks.

Bazzle

bazzle
17-09-2009, 09:43 AM
It looks nice

Some people talk dribble:rolleyes:

Bazzle

blutopless2
17-09-2009, 09:44 AM
looks great... any details on the specs???
hopefully it comes in a manual.

team_v
17-09-2009, 09:45 AM
looks great... any details on the specs???
hopefully it comes in a manual.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?p=388300#post388300

blutopless2
17-09-2009, 09:50 AM
thanks for the link..... it comes in manual.. :)

Corey_R
17-09-2009, 07:22 PM
It looks nice

You must have only seen the incorrect figures of 6.4, and not the offiicial 0 to 100 in 5.5 seconds that VW have published (or 5.7 for the manual).

poloplayer
17-09-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/golfr2-1.jpg

Those plates are a bit nostalgic :P

madglf3
17-09-2009, 09:54 PM
It lives!!!!!!

I can't wait to own one in ten years when I'm able to afford it. I do look forward to seeing them eat WRXs though.

poloplayer
17-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Found a few more pics here

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/frankfurt-motor-show:-vw-golf-r/243138/pictures/frankfurt-motor-show:-vw-golf-r.aspx?im=276453

Nice shots of the interior :banana:

Driven Threads
17-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Love it! Looks Tops! Although I would prefer wheels more spokey type wheels- more consistent with the previous generation R cars.

Have plans for this to be my daily in 2014, and keep my R as a track car.

Sharkie
18-09-2009, 08:44 AM
Just heard that VW South Africa is expecting the R to arrive in RHD form there Q3 2010 ......

So, I'd expect it here around the same time ........ :brutal:

D@mn .... 12 months to wait then :mad:

team_v
18-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Europe gets it the end of this year, they said it crosses overseas later in 2010 so i would say after the End of Financial Year for us.

Greg Roles
18-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Now that and the 3.0 TDI....yeehah!

Noodles
18-09-2009, 10:07 PM
2ltr.... not getting pants wet over that...

and R with cloth trim, always question that, seen couple since been back in Aust and I'm like why if buying R you have cloth trim.

eestison
18-09-2009, 10:16 PM
2ltr.... not getting pants wet over that...

and R with cloth trim, always question that, seen couple since been back in Aust and I'm like why if buying R you have cloth trim.

better photos here... http://jalopnik.com/5360911/2010-volkswagen-golf-r-the-scirocco-r-for-america

the recaro seats are back as an option

cme2c
19-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Paint the grill black, steal the day running LEDs off a Skoda and I've changed a 118TSI into an R! Brilliant! Like the Mk 6 GTI, it doesn't look special enough in my opinion. Mind you, it doesn't look like a Jetta anymore.:evillaugh:

VOLKSMAN
19-09-2009, 04:06 PM
thats the whole point its a sleeper and its not meant to capture attentiion like a ricer.
its a very discrete sports car that a only few would look back again and notice its an R.

cme2c
19-09-2009, 05:38 PM
I know what you mean but... The MkV GTI looks like no other MkV. The R32, yes, the front looks like a Jetta, but again like no other Golf. Confession time, my daily driver is a Peugeot 206 GTi. Compared to the standard 206 3 dr it has 16inch mags, slightly pumped guards, a different airdam, and a small GTi badge behind each front wheel. Sometimes i get no respect. A P plater in a Mirage tried to take me on once...

I don't want the R to be a ricer or a HRT, but just a little more different, especially at the front. Like S3 vs A3. Or we'll get situations like a guy up the street who has a bog standard lancer. mags, stupid rear spoiler,cannon exhaust, moved the front number plate, painted the centre of the front bumper black and put the "evolution" badge off an evo9 on the back.

I wonder who he's fooling?

Noodles
20-09-2009, 09:04 PM
i'm gonna have some sweet dreams about this car tonight when i go to bed. :rolleyes:

prices in GBP
focus RS 26395
audi S3 27480
golf R32 25570 (price at 2006)
golf R 28000

i'll take the golf R over the S3 and RS any day of the week. for the love of the brand...
plus really, when you look at the dollar terms/percentage difference between the golf R and R32, it's comparable pricing difference to stock mkv GTI and pirelli. you're paying a bit extra for a quicker, lighter car with a few extra features.

but you're right maccaa, think UK will find it tough selling them at that price...like all cars over GBP 25k.

mattyf83 - GPS, sunroof and leather will all be options. standard seats will be GTI spec seats in cloth trim (as per photos) but supposedly have alcantara bolsters.

I wouldn't say so, when I bought my .:R in UK I paided more than £28k, plus look at the Mk5 this time last year the market dropped it's arse in the UK and cars that were worth £20k were selling for £12k, they're now back up to £16.

P.S. what happened to my other post regarding cloth seats and 2L engine :¦

pologti18t
21-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Where is the 28000UKP figure coming from? Something cooked up by a magazine I assume ;)

ENERG1
21-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Looks Boring not aggressive enough!

Compared to a MK5 GTI especially the front.

Will have to look at one in the flesh

Luke

limmy
21-09-2009, 04:47 PM
my point is that the golf R will be priced slightly higher than the current mkv R32. that is a logical guess. i'd say RRP $60.5k AUD.

prices i quoted were pulled off the net, and the GBP 28K was quoted from maccaa + top gear.

anyway, the point being, if the Golf R is going to be priced slightly higher than the mkv R32, it's worth it given its newer, quicker+lighter.

I wouldn't say so, when I bought my .:R in UK I paided more than £28k, plus look at the Mk5 this time last year the market dropped it's arse in the UK and cars that were worth £20k were selling for £12k, they're now back up to £16.

P.S. what happened to my other post regarding cloth seats and 2L engine :¦

G-rig
21-09-2009, 06:50 PM
anyway, the point being, if the Golf R is going to be priced slightly higher than the mkv R32, it's worth it given its newer, quicker+lighter.

Yeah, not much usually gets cheaper in AUS (car wise) ..

Markybhoy
21-09-2009, 09:42 PM
More pics here guys! Taken at Frankenfurter show.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_0909_volkswagen_golf_r_first_look/photo_01.html

The engine bay pic has to be one of the most....unexciting pics lol.

philthy
21-09-2009, 09:46 PM
More pics here guys! Taken at Frankenfurter show.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/112_0909_volkswagen_golf_r_first_look/photo_01.html

The engine bay pic has to be one of the most....unexciting pics lol.

yer, the engine bay sucks. Mind you most people would get this view :-D

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/volkswagengolfratfrankfurtrear-2.jpg

poloplayer
21-09-2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/volkswagengolfratfrankfurtrear-2.jpg[/QUOTE]

That area around the tailpipes looks like it hasn't been finished yet :confused:

graeme86
22-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Thats the most visually underwhelming looking performance engine bay I've ever seen.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/volkswagengolfratfrankfurtengine-2.jpg

:(

balkanac
22-09-2009, 01:35 AM
That site says 6.5 secs to 100 and that is the same as my MK4 R32. If that is correct then a good launch in the MK4 will beat it. MK4s go 6.5 secs to 100. Please read the article properly on the site

balkanac
22-09-2009, 01:39 AM
Not after a retune..

Thats not the point. I can put 2 turbos on my car and make a 1000hp monster

balkanac
22-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Really? more power and Nm and less weight. How could a R32 beat it? Performance figures are the same as the S3.

It still the same time to 100km\h as the MK4 R. I dont see how the extra HP and Nms are helping

balkanac
22-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Some people talk dribble:rolleyes:

Bazzle

Maybe you should read the article on the site one more time before you make such comments

MattyT
22-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Fwoar balk, chill bro :P

The R looks good, ditch the rims tho and that engine bay needs to loose a lot of plastic.

balkanac
22-09-2009, 01:43 AM
You must have only seen the incorrect figures of 6.4, and not the offiicial 0 to 100 in 5.5 seconds that VW have published (or 5.7 for the manual).

I have only seen whats on the site where that link leads. According to that the performance is the same as my car

balkanac
22-09-2009, 01:44 AM
Fwoar balk, chill bro :P

The R looks good, ditch the rims tho and that engine bay needs to loose a lot of plastic.

I hate when people are trying to make me look stupid when im right thats all

Sharkie
22-09-2009, 06:36 AM
I hate when people are trying to make me look stupid when im right thats all

Based on an article with incorrect information ....... proof that you cannot believe everything on the net 1st time out.

Pointer to all, next time check all the available articles AND the official figures from VW before stirring up a hornets nest.

Common sense should have prevailed though as the laws of physics points to a different result. Clearly more power & torque with better traction and less weight would see a different result to that article.:cool:

G-rig
22-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Thats not the point. I can put 2 turbos on my car and make a 1000hp monster

As pointed out it would be faster anyway stock for stock being a lighter car, but dollar for dollar you putting two turbos on would cost a lot more.

Lima
22-09-2009, 11:11 AM
That site says 6.5 secs to 100 and that is the same as my MK4 R32. If that is correct then a good launch in the MK4 will beat it. MK4s go 6.5 secs to 100. Please read the article properly on the site

:brutal:

Okay, I read the article linked to those pics. This is what it says:

...Naturally, the power boost correlates with a boost in performance and the Golf R will hit 62 mph in 5.7 seconds with a manual transmission and 5.5 seconds with Volkswagen's DSG dual-clutch gearbox and an electronically limited top speed of 155 mph, VW says. Either car handily outaccelerates the R32, which needs 6.5 seconds to get to 62 mph. And the Golf R does it all using less gas, getting roughly six more mpg than the R32. It also offers an improvement in emissions, emitting only 0.71 pounds of CO2 per mile compared with the R32's 0.91 pounds per mile...

:cool:

Although, to be fair, prior to Volkswagen's official info being released there were plenty of articles guessing at mid-6s for 0-100, mind, most were also questioning that figure as well. Stands to reason that an S3 with a Volkswagen badge should accelerate just as quickly, assuming the weight of the S3 and Golf R will be very similar.

Pharkus
22-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Statistics have have been proven to lie about 43.59% of the time.

astro
24-09-2009, 12:53 AM
when will the be taking orders for the mk6 golf R :P looks amazing well i like it lol seen a few mixed results.

what will you guess be for the price i am thinking 58,999 + on roads and all that crap.. so about 60,500 drive away, but then i will need to get leather seats so + 2000

Sharkie
24-09-2009, 08:04 AM
when will the be taking orders for the mk6 golf R

VW Dealers are taking orders already (and have been for 6 months). Its all subject to price being acceptable with rough indications as similar to the outgoing R32's prices.

If it is $65K + ORC then I'll be getting a S3, if its about $58K + ORC (5 door) then I'll get the R

I placed my order on 14 Feb 09 already ...... :biggrin:

Lima
24-09-2009, 10:27 PM
59,990 + orc

For ref, my S3 with around $10K in options, was low 70s drive away. Full RRP was $83,800 - friggen taxes, haha!!!

s_farid01
24-09-2009, 11:49 PM
Got bad news for u guys. I know it's from the Germany but wont be cheaper here.

Base is 61k + ORC

fully optioned is 81K + ORC:confused:

Not sure what thats about but see spec sheet

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/09/pict65201-2.jpg

Lukey13
25-09-2009, 07:20 AM
59,990 + orc

For ref, my S3 with around $10K in options, was low 70s drive away. Full RRP was $83,800 - friggen taxes, haha!!!

How's the S3 going? Thinking of getting one myself.

anarchycamp
25-09-2009, 08:41 AM
I think it would be mad to price it too close to the S3 and just because its priced that way in Germany doesnt mean it will translate dollar for euro to our market.

I reckon High 50s as well....57k - 59k and get one on the road for just over 60. The S3 and the R are basically my choices for the next car and providing the R is released in time my opinion is like Sharkies....if the R is priced significantly lower than the S3 ill go the R, if its about the same or slightly less ill go the S3 because I know its a top car already.

While we are at it...when do you guys reckon the R will hit our shores? Perhaps end of 2010? November would suit me nicely! :)

Sharkie
25-09-2009, 08:46 AM
While we are at it...when do you guys reckon the R will hit our shores? Perhaps end of 2010? November would suit me nicely! :)

It all depends on when VW schedules the RHD builds ..... VW South Africa is expecting theirs around September 2010, so I'd expect VW Oz to be the same. Also keep an eye on the UK market as that will also be an indication of when VW is ready for RHD production.

Lima
25-09-2009, 11:03 AM
How's the S3 going? Thinking of getting one myself.

It's awesome. If you want to know anything more specific shoot me a PM.

:banana:

sparta
25-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Got bad news for u guys. I know it's from the Germany but wont be cheaper here.

Base is 61k + ORC

fully optioned is 81K + ORC:confused:

Not sure what thats about but see spec sheet

That's not necessarily bad news. RRP for a 5 door Pirelli (DSG, Climatronic) in Germany is/was:

33,065.00 EUR
=
56,044.95 AUD

Australiann RRP was only 49K ...

There is hope!

gtimk5
25-09-2009, 02:00 PM
I dont think you will get much change from $70000
Quote me on this cause you might be surprised. They will be more expensive than the old R32s and I reckon that they will be taxed in the luxury car section...
Hope I am wrong!

Swallowtail
25-09-2009, 04:45 PM
RRP on the R36 is $65K. Perceived value compared to that would dictate a price below 60. I reckon the Golf R will be RRP 55k - 57k. I can't see that it would sell enough numbers otherwise.

shaneth
25-09-2009, 04:56 PM
RRP on the R36 is $65K. Perceived value compared to that would dictate a price below 60. I reckon the Golf R will be RRP 55k - 57k. I can't see that it would sell enough numbers otherwise.

Mate i Hope your right. But i aint getting my hopes up.

Swallowtail
25-09-2009, 05:49 PM
If it's over 60K RRP for a 3 door hot hatch then I can't see how it will fit in the market?