PDA

View Full Version : Passat Coding changes

Swallowtail
10-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I've made a few coding changes using VCDS to my R36:

1. Enabled auto-closing of sunroof and windows if it rains - follow these instructions: http://www.my-gti.com/204/volkswagen-golf-auto-rain-closing-windows-and-sunroof

2. Enabled hazard flashers on emergency braking.

3. Fixed trailer controller coding so it doesn't give me false bulb failure warnings.

4. Made the speedo more accurate - now reads 105 at 100kmh instead of 108.

5. The alarm now does a subtle little chirp (very subtle, almost inaudible...) when you unlock or lock the car.

Changed a few other little things I came across too. Very cool.

Handy tool that VAGCOM... :D

macdoc
10-10-2009, 11:26 PM
How did you go about calibrating the speedo. Info would be good.
After coding your auto close windows, did you verify its operation? After re-coding mine it didn't function.

Macdoc.

passatpout
11-10-2009, 08:36 AM
How much is VAGCOM and is it worth it?

Swallowtail
11-10-2009, 09:09 AM
How did you go about calibrating the speedo. Info would be good.
After coding your auto close windows, did you verify its operation? After re-coding mine it didn't function.

Macdoc.

Speedo - using the CAN bus speed (press AC and up vent at the same time, rotate the L/H temp dial until the display reads 19 0, the right hand display shows the CAN bus speed, which is pretty accurate. Apparently it's what the odometer goes on). See how far out the speedo is! In VAGCOM go into the instrument cluster controller, go into Coding, and see what the last digit is. Mine was 6. That's a range up to 7 (not 8 like VAGCOM thinks) - the higher the number the lower the speedo will read for a given road speed. Going from 6 to 7 gave me a bit more accuracy.

Windows - yes it works, tested it with water on the screen. There are a couple of steps, not just the obvious one - you need to code the Rain sensor with a different value. See the link I posted to Maverick's site for info.

Swallowtail
11-10-2009, 09:11 AM
How much is VAGCOM and is it worth it?

Cost me about $400 I think from memory. I think it's worth it - I've done the above, cleared error codes from the after market stereo install (they removed the VW amp, but the car was still looking for it) and have coded my Bluetooth install with it.

And a couple of other people have borrowed it and used it to. One of them was to see what error codes were on a 2nd hand Passat they were buying.

ope126
11-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Swallowtail, I am keen to do no.2.

Here is one for you, can you adjust the winscreen wiper operation.
When you clear the screen (and headlights) with a spray of water, it normally wipes about 3 times, however some of the newer vehicles do a 4th sweep after about 3 seconds. That is a very cool feature that I would like to have recoded.

Can you activate this, happy to discuss, meet up etc!

Glenn

Jmac
11-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Swallowtail, I am keen to do no.2.

Here is one for you, can you adjust the winscreen wiper operation.
When you clear the screen (and headlights) with a spray of water, it normally wipes about 3 times, however some of the newer vehicles do a 4th sweep after about 3 seconds. That is a very cool feature that I would like to have recoded.

Can you activate this, happy to discuss, meet up etc!

Glenn

Talking about number 2, has number 2 arrived yet?????? Grab the coding and ill set it up for you mate , when you come round to do the filter
Cheers
Jmac

Umai Naa!!
11-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Cost me about $400 I think from memory. I think it's worth it - I've done the above, cleared error codes from the after market stereo install (they removed the VW amp, but the car was still looking for it) and have coded my Bluetooth install with it.

And a couple of other people have borrowed it and used it to. One of them was to see what error codes were on a 2nd hand Passat they were buying.

Where did you pick it up from?

I'm looking at getting one, as I'm thinking of leaving where I am, and going mobile next year. Somehow, I don't think I'll be able to sneak our VAS5052 out under my shirt :p

h100vw
11-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Proper cables only come from one source www.ross-tech.com or one of it's resellers.

Gavin

Umai Naa!!
11-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Cheers mate.

Been looking at the ones they're selling on Ebay out of Hong Kong. I've very dubious of their capabilities.

Swallowtail
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
Cheers mate.

Been looking at the ones they're selling on Ebay out of Hong Kong. I've very dubious of their capabilities.

If you're going to do it get a proper one. You won't regret it.

Umai Naa!!
11-10-2009, 10:00 PM
I wholeheartedly agree ;)

ope126
19-10-2009, 11:38 AM

1. Enabled auto-closing of sunroof and windows if it rains - follow these instructions: http://www.my-gti.com/204/volkswagen-golf-auto-rain-closing-windows-and-sunroof

3. Fixed trailer controller coding so it doesn't give me false bulb failure warnings.

5. The alarm now does a subtle little chirp (very subtle, almost inaudible...) when you unlock or lock the car.

PM Sent! :banana:

R36 Dreamer
23-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Funny Thing, dropped my car in for service this morning.

Asked them to change some of the comfort settings in the following way

1./ Auto Close on Sunroof, Windows (rain sensor)
2/ Chirping on lock/unlock.

Guys in the service dept said it cant be done. I advised that this was rubbish, and they said they will look into it.

Bet all the tea in China when I pick up the car the result will be they couldn't do it.

Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

As a side story a guy came in when I was there, with some warranty issues on his MkV Golf. Air Con not working and Brakes issues (smelt aweful).

Service guy asked whether he wanted it serviced as well to which he replied nope.

After the bloke left service manager said he checked the car logbook and VW service computer - 45,000kms and no services.

So either the owner had it worked on at Ultratune etc. and didnt get the book stamped, or he is a bloody tool.:brutal:

rotelman
23-10-2009, 08:10 AM

Is it possible to code the Autohold to Always on when starting up ignition?:P

Thanks

Rotelman

Swallowtail
23-10-2009, 08:50 AM
It's an option in the MFD on mine... have a look through the MFD menus. If not, yes it can be done through VAGCOM.

rotelman
23-10-2009, 09:45 AM
It's an option in the MFD on mine... have a look through the MFD menus. If not, yes it can be done through VAGCOM.

Yeah.. it's only in some R36's, not standard passat as far as I'm aware.

Umai Naa!!
24-10-2009, 07:14 AM
As a side story a guy came in when I was there, with some warranty issues on his MkV Golf. Air Con not working and Brakes issues (smelt aweful).

Service guy asked whether he wanted it serviced as well to which he replied nope.

After the bloke left service manager said he checked the car logbook and VW service computer - 45,000kms and no services.

So either the owner had it worked on at Ultratune etc. and didnt get the book stamped, or he is a bloody tool.:brutal:

Yes, and they wonder why VW wont help them when the engine craps itself.

:brutal: indeed.

BlackSuperb
24-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd be interested to hear from anybody that has bought a VAGCOM on eBay to see if they actually work.

I see there is one sold by this mob (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/alpha-bid/Auto-to-PC-Interfaces.html), but it seems too cheap to be true. Any info appreciated.

h100vw
24-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Do yourself a favour and buy the real thing. It's more money sure but it works first time.

Gavin

Maverick
25-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Funny Thing, dropped my car in for service this morning.

Asked them to change some of the comfort settings in the following way

1./ Auto Close on Sunroof, Windows (rain sensor)
2/ Chirping on lock/unlock.

Guys in the service dept said it cant be done. I advised that this was rubbish, and they said they will look into it.

Bet all the tea in China when I pick up the car the result will be they couldn't do it.

Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised.

Because it's not a supported configuration, the dealers can't go around turning on and off settings that are not documented nor supported for a model of car.

What if the auto close fails to operate when it rains?

What if the chirp causes another problems or if the customer claims the doors didn't lock and the car contents were stolen?

If I were the dealership I wouldn't enable any of those options due to the possible ramifications no matter how unlikely.

Not to mention that the interface on the VAS terminal is completely different to VCDS.

R36 Dreamer
26-10-2009, 07:47 AM
Because it's not a supported configuration, the dealers can't go around turning on and off settings that are not documented nor supported for a model of car.

What if the chirp causes another problems or if the customer claims the doors didn't lock and the car contents were stolen?

If I were the dealership I wouldn't enable any of those options due to the possible ramifications no matter how unlikely.

Not to mention that the interface on the VAS terminal is completely different to VCDS.

Thanks for your feedback. The dealer turned on both settings for me when it went in for service, so it seems as though your thoughts were incorrect.

Swallowtail
26-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks for your feedback. The dealer turned on both settings for me when it went in for service, so it seems as though your thoughts were incorrect.

LOL... well done. First time I've heard of a dealer activating those settings. Just test the auto close, as there are two settings that need to be changed in the system. Open the sunroof / windows, lock the car, leave it for a few minutes then pour water on the rain sensor. They should close pretty much immediately. If they don't, the dealer may have activated the setting in the Convenience controller, but not altered the required setting in the Rain Sensor.

V6Passat
28-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Yeah.. it's only in some R36's, not standard passat as far as I'm aware.

My 2010 V6 Highline allows you to select always on, always off via MFD - found it at the lights this morning. Not sure about other spec Passats.

Jmac
28-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Doesnt matter if the interface is different, im an ex dealer tech and know the binary can be changed, only the long coding is done through guide functions, a bit slower but clearer explained, as it should be being it is a brand diagnostic pc.
When long coding first came out on the A6 Audi during Pdi we did all the long coding to a set standard cross the board mainly due to time, we copied it from a pretty thick pre delivery schedule, thats why most i believ wont have any trickery done. Only ones specified on the Repair order say i want auto lock auto unlock, then we would go the extra mile. Really only down to time really. At Dub, Audi or Porsche where ive worked we never had an issue changing any setting if the customer requesteds it. That being said we never turned off any airbags. or seat belt gongs.
Cheers
Jmac

Pana
28-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Speedo - using the CAN bus speed (press AC and up vent at the same time, rotate the L/H temp dial until the display reads 19 0, the right hand display shows the CAN bus speed, which is pretty accurate. Apparently it's what the odometer goes on). See how far out the speedo is! In VAGCOM go into the instrument cluster controller, go into Coding, and see what the last digit is. Mine was 6. That's a range up to 7 (not 8 like VAGCOM thinks) - the higher the number the lower the speedo will read for a given road speed. Going from 6 to 7 gave me a bit more accuracy.

I checked this out last night and at 100km/h (according to CAN bus speed) the MFD was showing 106km/h and the dial was probably about 108-109km/h!!!!

Now I just need to drive down to Geelong and go through the speed checks on the freeway to see how accurate the CAN bus speed is...

Swallowtail
28-10-2009, 11:54 AM
I checked this out last night and at 100km/h (according to CAN bus speed) the MFT was showing 106km/h and the dial was probably about 108-109km/h!!!!

Now I just need to drive down to Geelong and go through the speed checks on the freeway to see how accurate the CAN bus speed is...

Similar to what mine was then. Let me know how you go with your speed checks.

Rocket36
28-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Jesus! How'd I miss this thread? So much good information...

Any way to change the sunroof so it auto closes with key out? I loved that when I had my HSV.

I'm always dubious about how accurate those things are.

Swallowtail
28-10-2009, 12:41 PM

How loud is your chirp Dreamer?

Swallowtail
28-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Any way to change the sunroof so it auto closes with key out? I loved that when I had my HSV.

Don't know... you can close the sunroof by holding down the lock button on the remote, not sure about having it close automatically. I haven't seen any settings to do that..

Rocket36
28-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah I knew about the remote close... Might just have to live with that.

nivek
28-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Wouldn't a GPS unit provide you with a more accurate reading?

Pana
28-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Wouldn't a GPS unit provide you with a more accurate reading?

Don't have one (apart from the RNS in the car) and dont have easy access to one. :)

R36 Dreamer
29-10-2009, 05:50 AM
How loud is your chirp Dreamer?

Extremely quiet. Much quieter than I expected.

Definitely registers with my brain though - one chirp locked, two chirps unlocked.

passatpout
29-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Don't have one (apart from the RNS in the car) and dont have easy access to one. :)

I've compared mine with my GPS, and went through 2 of the speed checks.. in both cases cruise was set on 105km/h, the GPS was showing 99km/h, the first speed check showed 104km/h, and the second 97km/h...

Whereabouts in Melbourne are you Pana?

R36 Dreamer
29-10-2009, 07:39 AM
I've compared mine with my GPS, and went through 2 of the speed checks.. in both cases cruise was set on 105km/h, the GPS was showing 99km/h, the first speed check showed 104km/h, and the second 97km/h...

At a single steady speed I believe GPS will be the most accurate, given it needs to measure speed to calculate time to destination etc.

What I found interesting is that if I am on the highway at a steady (GPS indicated) 110km/h and I reset the trip computer to zero out the Average speed reading, when the av speed comes back up it is the same as the GPS reading.

This leads me to believe the car is measuring speed correctly, but the speedo does not correlate with the car - if that makes sense.

Swallowtail
29-10-2009, 08:47 AM
It does make sense, and that is because that avg speed function is dictated by the CAN bus speed I believe. Maverick's post on his website about altering speedos mentions this I think.

Pana
29-10-2009, 11:33 AM

South east - which speed checks did you go through passatpout - the hume hwy ones or the Geelong freeway ones?

passatpout
29-10-2009, 11:42 AM
South east - which speed checks did you go through passatpout - the hume hwy ones or the Geelong freeway ones?

I think it was the Hume. Certainly a freeway with 2 of them on the same route, even my wife commented on how different the readings were - both were on clear road without any other traffic around.

Despite the fact there's one on the Calder near my place, I never drive on that section of the road..

Pana
29-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Despite the fact there's one on the Calder near my place, I never drive on that section of the road..

is that after the thunderdome coz I was there a couple of weeks ago and didnt see one on the way....

passatpout
29-10-2009, 01:51 PM
is that after the thunderdome coz I was there a couple of weeks ago and didnt see one on the way....

It's southbound, at the Bulla-Diggers Rest Road bridge.. was taped up and not in use last time I saw, but as I said, I very rarely use that section of the road.

RobBentley
30-10-2009, 09:15 AM
ooh - nice info here.

I have an older copy of VagCom I have always used for my Passat W8, but it doesn't "speak" to the R36. I'm angling for a new CAN capable copy of VCDS from my other half for Christmas!!

logger
31-10-2009, 07:47 AM

4. Made the speedo more accurate - now reads 105 at 100kmh instead of 108...

Just keep in mind that changing the impulse number to adjust the speedo also effects the Odometer but I suppose that is not big deal for most of us.

Swallowtail
31-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Just keep in mind that changing the impulse number to adjust the speedo also effects the Odometer but I suppose that is not big deal for most of us.

Mav's site indicates otherwise, and I have read some people saying it does and some saying it doesn't.

Changing the impulse number doesn't change the CAN BUS speed, only the indicated speed. Why would they use a known (and deliberately set) wrong speed for the odometer? From me reading, the odometer is driven by the CAN BUS speed, so should not be affected by changing the impulse number...

Just my 2c, and I could obviously be entirely wrong, but it seems logical to me.

logger
31-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Mav's site indicates otherwise, and I have read some people saying it does and some saying it doesn't.
If his site does say that then I believe it is probably incorrect. There is some other stuff there about the MFD speed warning indicating CAN bus speed which is demonstrably not the case with my car. I think the developers of VCDS Vag-Com, Ross Tech, can generally be relied upon to know how these things work, and I quote...

"There is no known way to change the relationship between the speedo and the MFI and odometer via diagnostics. Changes to the Distance Impulse Number should affect all of these equally." Uwe Ross Oct 2009.

Changing the impulse number doesn't change the CAN BUS speed, only the indicated speed. Why would they use a known (and deliberately set) wrong speed for the odometer?
I have no idea and it does not make a lot of sense but I would not discount what the Ross Tech fellas have to say.

But having said this, the change to your ODO will probably only be small and easy enough to live with. For time being I have chosen to leave that setting alone in my car.

SaBiH
06-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Today i picked up my car from the service department at the dealer and when i turned off my car, i had the two back doors open and the next thing i know all 4 of the windows go down automatically in sync.. this seemed a little strange to me.. its never happened before.. anyone had this happen?

Rocket36
06-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Were you holding the unlock button? Or was your pocket holding it? ;)

Jayse
08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Today i picked up my car from the service department at the dealer and when i turned off my car, i had the two back doors open and the next thing i know all 4 of the windows go down automatically in sync.. this seemed a little strange to me.. its never happened before.. anyone had this happen?

time to call GHOSTBUSTERS!!!

how else did the 2 doors open?

ope126
11-11-2009, 04:42 PM
No sure if this site has been mentioned yet...

http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fde.openobd.org%2Fvw%2Fpassat_3c.htm %2316&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0

I got it from here...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4643253

RobBentley
13-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Well I made the 'windows-up' on rain changes and the knock on effect is my rain sensor seems a whole load less sensitive under normal driving.

Anybody else experienced this?

Swallowtail
13-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Not that I'd noticed rob, but then we live in Australia LOL.

Lance B
13-11-2009, 10:32 PM

As a matter of interest, is there an issue with the car looking for the original amp if it has been removed? I also removed the original amp and fitted the ArcAudio ks125.4 amp like you did, but kept the factory speakers, which are really very good. I also added Dynamat and an Audison Bit One processor to iron out any anomolies.

Lance B
13-11-2009, 10:37 PM

Changing the impulse number doesn't change the CAN BUS speed, only the indicated speed. Why would they use a known (and deliberately set) wrong speed for the odometer? From me reading, the odometer is driven by the CAN BUS speed, so should not be affected by changing the impulse number...

Just my 2c, and I could obviously be entirely wrong, but it seems logical to me.

If the indicated speed on the speedo is higher than your actual speed, it may be for safety reasons so as you do not go over the speed limit?

RobBentley
13-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Not that I'd noticed rob, but then we live in Australia LOL.

Sorry - yes, I forgot to explain. Rain is when water falls from the Sky. Not sure you've ever seen it over there? ;)

Swallowtail
14-11-2009, 01:28 PM
If the indicated speed on the speedo is higher than your actual speed, it may be for safety reasons so as you do not go over the speed limit?

I'm sure it is, but I don't need to be told I'm going 10kmh faster than I actually am.

As a matter of interest, is there an issue with the car looking for the original amp if it has been removed? I also removed the original amp and fitted the ArcAudio ks125.4 amp like you did, but kept the factory speakers, which are really very good. I also added Dynamat and an Audison Bit One processor to iron out any anomolies.

Nice amp hey? :) The factory speakers are average - you will notice a huge improvment if you replace particularly the front pair with some high quality splits. The car does look for the amp, and does create errors in the electronics if the amp is removed, not the end of the world though. A quick look in with VAGCOM to the car's config and tell it the amp isn't there any more fixes those errors.

Sorry - yes, I forgot to explain. Rain is when water falls from the Sky. Not sure you've ever seen it over there? ;)

All too rarely these days unfortunately... :(

Lance B
14-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Nice amp hey? :)

It's an excellent amp for sure. I first had it bridged and only running the fronts with the standard amp running the rears. When it was bridged it gave out 250watts rms per channel (from memory) and so had some serious control over the speakers. Now I am running it on all four speakers and it is back to the "lowly" 75watts rms.

The factory speakers are average - you will notice a huge improvment if you replace particularly the front pair with some high quality splits.

The guys who installed all my equipment thought that they sounded great for a factory set up. They used a microphone and fed it through the set up of the Audison Bit One to get the levels right and the installer said that they are very well extended and quite punchy for bass and the top end is quite good. It is amazing what a system processor can do to make it sound excellent. :cool:

The car does look for the amp, and does create errors in the electronics if the amp is removed, not the end of the world though. A quick look in with VAGCOM to the car's config and tell it the amp isn't there any more fixes those errors.

I am just wondering what sort of electronic errors there could be. Do you know what they are?