PDA

View Full Version : Vento performance cams

ventogirl
05-02-2007, 02:30 PM
hi guys, im looking to get performance cam for my 1996 VW Vento 2 Litre, and was wondering if anyone knows of any performance cams that i could put in AND would be a straight swap.

ive heard that the cam from the older golf gti would be a straight swap? does anyone know if this is true :?

any other suggestions?

brackie
05-02-2007, 04:23 PM
hi guys, im looking to get performance cam for my 1996 VW Vento 2 Litre, and was wondering if anyone knows of any performance cams that i could put in AND would be a straight swap.

ive heard that the cam from the older golf gti would be a straight swap? does anyone know if this is true :?

any other suggestions?

G'day and welcome Ventogirl. Nice to have another female aboard! The Vento motor is basically the same as the Golf's. I'm certain that one or more of the guys can help you out......

DubSteve
05-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Welcome VentoGirl, like Brackie said good to have another female member of this forum. Where abouts are you from? Any pics of your car?

A good air induction and a exhaust very nice ;)

h100vw
05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
I have heard of folk fitting the 2 litre cam into a G60 for a small increase.

I would have a look at a few American sites for guidance on cams. Maybe ecstuning.com or performancecafe.

You need to be careful with the car having a cat as long duration cams will upset the lambda probe and ECU.

GAvin

Bug_racer
06-02-2007, 01:34 AM
Anything over around 260 starts playing around with ECU and pollution control in ECU . You could probably run a 268 with adjustable cam gear . Giac does a Cam chip combo to get the most out of the cam .

ventogirl
06-02-2007, 10:31 AM
im not looking for a cam with crazy amounts of lift, just hoping something might be out there which would be an improvement over the standard cam and requires no other mods.

as i said before, hopefully someone could shed some light on a older version golf gti cam, as i heard that these may be a straight swap

ausgolfer
06-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Yes you're right it will be interchangable with an older (but still hydraulic lifter) Gti camshaft. Eg. a mk2 Gti(aussie import) camshaft. To be honest I'm not sure how much of a performace gain it would be possibly a 5-10 hp or possibly less I really can't remember the cam specs.

ausgolfer
06-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Check out
http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_camshafts.htm#8vcams

and look at the sport 260 Hydro, it mentions not having to update the ecu and also fits mk3 2L. ;)

ventogirl
06-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Check out
http://www.autotech.com/prod_engine_camshafts.htm#8vcams

and look at the sport 260 Hydro, it mentions not having to update the ecu and also fits mk3 2L. ;)

exactly what i was looking for:)

thanks!

Bora Sport
06-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I used the Auto tech 270 in a Mark 2 Gti and it was a noticeable improvement especially with the 'Euro down pipe' which you don't have to worry about with the Vento because it already has a good down pipe. I would recommend it for the Vento and if you decide to get one PM me as I have been thinking about getting another one for my wife's Vento.

evorobin
06-02-2007, 11:31 PM
I sold one of those to loon before the 8v went to TAS. Hasn't mentioned doing anything with it so worth asking.

ventogirl
07-02-2007, 12:32 AM
the Autotech Sport 270° Hydro Camshaft sounds great, although it says that "Fits all 1.8L and 2.0L liter engines up to 1995 with hydraulic lifters, including crossflow heads."

sorry for sounding dumb, but, would it matter if my vento was 1996??

and would the vento need a remap/any adjustments to run the 270 cam properly? it doesnt say that its a straight swap with no adjustments, whereas the 260 cam it does :?

I would recommend it for the Vento and if you decide to get one PM me as I have been thinking about getting another one for my wife's Vento.

well let you know Bora Sport:)

ausgolfer
07-02-2007, 11:40 AM
I really think the 260 would be a better "all rounder" option, especially with the ever so slightly larger vento.

The 260 "might" have a better mid range improvement over a bigger cam.

As for the 95 vs 96 issue I don't know if theres a differece. Might be a US change in emissions laws that makes it illegal in a 96 onwards....

Bora Sport
07-02-2007, 11:27 PM
As far as I know the ADY engine is the same right through the Mark 3 Golf model so the cam would fit them all.

I'm sure it would bolt straight in and the 2.0 has so much torque down low I can't see it as being a problem. I think remapping the ECU would get the best out of the better cam but not necessary.

That means Loon should have at least 2 because Scott (Barty) traded the head off my old MK2 golf and it had the 270 cam in it. If you still have one Loon do you want to sell it and I could try it out?

evorobin
08-02-2007, 11:16 AM
The 270 with standard cam gear wasn't missing in the midrange. Was a screamer when retarded though :cool: