PDA

View Full Version : APR for MY10 1.4TSI (twincharge)

tofo17
05-10-2009, 05:46 PM
So I went down to Harding Performance today to get my 118TSI chipped... what, it's got 350km on it and is run in :rolleyes:. It turns out the version of software on my MY10 car (fresh off the boat and delivered Friday last week) hadn't been encountered before, so I couldn't get it done. Apparently the first time they come across a new version they have to take out the ECU, load up the data from it and send to APR in the states, who presumably make sure the remap works OK on newer cars.

I offered for them to take out my ECU to gather the data, which they happily agreed to. Because it was going to take a few hours they let me take their Golf... yep the one that featured in the recent Motor Tuning Challenge!
What a great car to drive. Very easy and sedate when cruising but holy crap does it go... and stop... and steer :P
The suspension was on track settings, so would be too hard day-to-day, but other than that very liveable. Kind of humbling to know John Bowe recently drove this :bowdown:

Anyway, I had to give it back. Just about planted my foot through the floor pushing in the cluth of my car when I got back in :eek:

For those with very new 118TSIs, apparently the new map will be available as soon as tomorrow or by Wednesday

Corey_R
06-10-2009, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the info man!

And great to see we have another forum member who is very impressed with the service from HP :)

oileoi
07-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Do you guys know if this is the case for the 90TSI? I'm getting mine in late Nov-Dec and I was thinking in chipping and I was wondering about it?

Guy_H
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey Tom,

You are welcome, VW always keeps us on our toes with slightly revised code, so its a constant full time process for us!

I think we already have 13 or 14 new codes for the Twincharger to date.

oileoi, the 90TSi we also have a lot of codes on file, but there is always the chance yours will be the first of type that we see. It's a simple procedure that we work with the customer to get the code out!

If you want to check before you are ready, drop into your local APR dealer & they will check the number free of charge!

Cheers

tofo17
07-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the info man!

And great to see we have another forum member who is very impressed with the service from HP :)

Yep, Guy and the team have always been fantastic in my experience (my wife's Turbo Jetta has APR Stage II, Carbonio CAI and APR downpipe). I usually drop-in unannounced but most times they've been able to do whatever it is I wanted done straight away!

If HP did VW logbook servicing I'd be there in a heartbeat... particularly if the same loan car was available :P

Cheers,
Tom

cktsi
07-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Hey Tom,

I think we already have 13 or 14 new codes for the Twincharger to date.

That's interesting. So is it changing despite the hardware remaining the same? If so, can you tell why it's being updated? e.g. richer mixture, higher shift points (sorry, I'm a bit clueless on whether the ECU also manages gear changes)

tofo17
07-10-2009, 04:17 PM
That's interesting. So is it changing despite the hardware remaining the same? If so, can you tell why it's being updated? e.g. richer mixture, higher shift points (sorry, I'm a bit clueless on whether the ECU also manages gear changes)

They'd have to reflash my head to change shift points in my 6spd manual :P

Guy_H
07-10-2009, 04:41 PM

Just minor changes through the code - nothing in particular that makes one drive differently from the others

Gti Dave
11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Yep, Guy and the team have always been fantastic in my experience (my wife's Turbo Jetta has APR Stage II, Carbonio CAI and APR downpipe). I usually drop-in unannounced but most times they've been able to do whatever it is I wanted done straight away!

If HP did VW logbook servicing I'd be there in a heartbeat... particularly if the same loan car was available :P

Cheers,
Tom

Oh why can't Harding performance be in melb? Oh well at least there's volkspower.

tofo17
13-10-2009, 12:36 PM
New software arrived and got the flash done yesterday. All I can say is "ahhh, that's more like it!". The bottom end urge up to about 3000rpm makes a big difference to general driving, it just makes it feel like you're not having to try hard to move briskly. A little less cog swapping too as you can let the revs drop lower and still accelerate away from just over 1000 rpm. In stock tune I got caught out a few times pulling away, sitting there thinking "come on, come on...".

The real fun though is over 3000rpm and particularly between 4000 and 5500. Much punchier now with a real sense of speed between the twisty bits.

Very happy with the improvement. It should keep me happy until a TBE with Stage II software comes out :P

Cheers,
Tom

logger
13-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah is is bloody good stuff isnt it. In case anyone missed it, I put my thoughts, observations and some performance logs I made on the Stage1 tune over here at APR ECU Upgrade MK6 Golf - Customer perspective (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=34296)

cktsi
14-10-2009, 06:30 AM
In stock tune I got caught out a few times pulling away, sitting there thinking "come on, come on...".

the only situation i find where i have no response from the drive train is if i press the accelerator after revs fallen to around 1000rpm and i have braked from traffic speed to near stationery e.g. When approaching red light that just turned green and if dsg is in D.

I think the causep/term is being "off boost" where it takes a moment for the supercharger to spool up again? I may not be describing the right thing.

So do you guys find this is now gone?