PDA

View Full Version : Do you have rattles in the car?

ox518
05-10-2009, 01:20 AM
The rattle really really drives me nuts. I got a rattle from behind of steering wheel and it is annoying. I have taken the car to the dealer 3 times, every time they promised rattle was gone, but it came back.

Dude, I don't know if I should take the car to the dealer again or try another dealer. I know this is not the problem only with mk6, but with all VW. Someone says that rattle is the music of VW. If so, this is my last VW car......

Do you guys have rattles in the car? Do you want to fix them or just live with them and turn music up?

Nick
05-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Rattles hmmmm....

The scourge of the modern car i rekon. And im sure dealers agree.

I have a Subaru liberty and after 45k kms the only rattle i can find is one right down the front of the windscreen where the dash vent s are, and even then only when its cold weather. It comes down to build quality and materials used etc and i guess thats one of the reasons i bought Subaru. I guess thats also why ppl buy VW. Also, I think theres rattles then theres rattles. I think to a point theyre unavoidable for the small ones, turn the music up, for those really persistent ones, like where you think something is completely loose persue your dealer/s.

Something i found useful with a previous car (a Misters#itti aka Bitsamissing Verada) which had terrible, Australian build quality was some Selly's silicone spray along the joins...this works for those places that it appears to be two tight joins rubbing together hence causing the 'rattle'.

On a side, i've owned two early 80's model Mercedes and after the best part of 30 years, 380k kms and 250k kms 'respectivley i couldnt fault the interior for a noise...they were great.

neil
05-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I thought one of the reasons the mk6 was brought forward was to rectify the mk5 rattle problem.

Schnapp
05-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Havent got any rattles here at the steering wheel. Only time i get rattle near there is cos I've got too many things attached to my car keys.

Actually my car is relatively rattle free, havent noticed anything too annoying (Except the CHIRRP from the engine, this is starting to get annoying!!).

Getting internal wiring in the roof replaced due to interior lights not working...they have to dismantle the roof...(i hope rattles do not develop due to this!)

Umai Naa!!
05-10-2009, 10:51 AM
C'mon guys, this car was touted as the quietest Golf ever.

In regards to the rattle behind the steering wheel, have you tried demonstrating the noise to the dealer? Noises can travel a long way in a car. I know I've chased a rattle in the left rear corner of the car, only for it to stop when the E-Tag fell off...

Also worth noting, the mirror glass in the driver's sunvisor can sometimes vibrate, and can often sound as though it's coming from the dash.

okisub
05-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I've got what I bet is the exact same rattle in my MY09 Passat. The dealer said it was my key on the keyring jingling(a load of rubbish as I've held the keys while it was happening when I was 1st trying to source the rattle), I didn't feel like arguing at the time as I'd already been back trying to get them to get the wheel alignment right...

The rattle doesn't happen all the time but if I press hard around the right side of the dash between the instrument cluster and right air vent, it will stop it -for a while.

If you do work out what it is be sure to share what it was please.

Nick
05-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Chief,

Are you sure its the wiring Ours had the same issue and it was some sort of control module up under the dash, once replaced it was all good. Incidentally it also controls the auto wipers apparently so if lights are out then your wipers shouldnt either on auto setting. Check it out...i wouldnt be keen to have my roof lining removed only for them to find it was something more simple.

Havent got any rattles here at the steering wheel. Only time i get rattle near there is cos I've got too many things attached to my car keys.

Actually my car is relatively rattle free, havent noticed anything too annoying (Except the CHIRRP from the engine, this is starting to get annoying!!).

Getting internal wiring in the roof replaced due to interior lights not working...they have to dismantle the roof...(i hope rattles do not develop due to this!)

ox518
05-10-2009, 07:45 PM
I've got what I bet is the exact same rattle in my MY09 Passat. The dealer said it was my key on the keyring jingling(a load of rubbish as I've held the keys while it was happening when I was 1st trying to source the rattle), I didn't feel like arguing at the time as I'd already been back trying to get them to get the wheel alignment right...

The rattle doesn't happen all the time but if I press hard around the right side of the dash between the instrument cluster and right air vent, it will stop it -for a while.

If you do work out what it is be sure to share what it was please.

From last repair report, it said plastic rivet loose (steering column). They retensioned trim and insulated. However, the rattle is still there when the car is on the rough road.

What I found interesting is if I use my finger to push the plastic trim behind steering wheel, the noise is significantly lighter.

Im not sure if I should take the car to the dealer again or not......

Schnapp
06-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Chief,

Are you sure its the wiring Ours had the same issue and it was some sort of control module up under the dash, once replaced it was all good. Incidentally it also controls the auto wipers apparently so if lights are out then your wipers shouldnt either on auto setting. Check it out...i wouldnt be keen to have my roof lining removed only for them to find it was something more simple.

Thanks mate,

They assured me it was the wiring. As the interior lights in the front still worked. The backseat interior lights and sunvisor lights did not work. My auto wipers are working.

Yes, im not very keen on having the roof lining removed...but fingerscrossed no further complications arises as a result of this.

cktsi
07-10-2009, 03:11 PM
From last repair report, it said plastic rivet loose (steering column). They retensioned trim and insulated. However, the rattle is still there when the car is on the rough road.

What I found interesting is if I use my finger to push the plastic trim behind steering wheel, the noise is significantly lighter.

Im not sure if I should take the car to the dealer again or not......

Funny... i have the same thing. If I touch the trim behind the steering, problem goes. I also have another rattle coming from the centre air vent (or so it seems... hard to tell as sound tends to bounce around the cabin).

Having said that, the rattle issues aren't really that bad because it depends on the weather / temp. So the result is they're not persistently present in my car.

In winter, when the car has heated up the squeaks disappear. Now in spring when the aircon runs in the warmer days, I get more persistent squeaks after the aircon has been running for a while.

In Summer, I'm sure even with the aircon running, the expansion of the plastic (despite the aircon running), will mean fewer squeaks owing to the greater latent heat in the plastic.

In summary, I think the squeaks will be seasonal & a bit hard for VW to fix (maybe take your car to VW in the morning when it's cooler & plastics have contracted with aircon on full blast to ensure it replicates)

ox518
07-10-2009, 08:06 PM
I will go to another dealership in Canberra tomorrow. Let you know the result then.

Funny... i have the same thing. If I touch the trim behind the steering, problem goes. I have a rattle coming from the centre air vent (or so it seems... hard to tell as sound tends to bounce around the cabin).

Having said that, the rattle issues aren't really that bad because it depends on the weather / temp. So the result is they're not persistently present in my car.

In winter, when the car has heated up the squeaks disappear. Now in spring when the aircon runs in the warmer days, I get more persistent squeaks after the aircon has been running for a while.

In Summer, I'm sure even with the aircon running, the expansion of the plastic (despite the aircon running), will mean fewer squeaks owing to the greater latent heat in the plastic.

In summary, I think the squeaks will be seasonal & a bit hard for VW to fix (maybe take your car to VW in the morning with aircon on full blast to ensure it replicates)

ox518
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Well, back from the Lennock in Canberra. The rattle is gone, the mechanic is really helpful, he found the cause of the rattle on the way when we were driving around.

However, still not 100% perfect. He made a scratch on the meter silver ring. :(

Interesting thing is that I was told this work has been done as goodwill for me as these adjustment are not covered by warranty.

So the rattle problem is not covered by warranty??? Anyone has any ideas?

cktsi
09-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Well, back from the Lennock in Canberra. The rattle is gone, the mechanic is really helpful, he found the cause of the rattle on the way when we were driving around.

However, still not 100% perfect. He made a scratch on the meter silver ring. :(

Interesting thing is that I was told this work has been done as goodwill for me as these adjustment are not covered by warranty.

So the rattle problem is not covered by warranty??? Anyone has any ideas?

Given you were talking about the "meter ring" I guess the rattle was behind the panel on the actual dashboard itself?

Unless you're really looking for it, can you really see the scratch?

As for his statement about the warranty, I was given that line from Five Dock VW on my Mark 5 stating they would only look after rattles on new cars within 6 months & even then they're not obliged to fix it.

Now they've changed hands to Barloworld ownership i haven't heard them complain it's being done 'as a favour'. I assumed it was warranty work. Note that my car is still less than 6 months old though.

ox518
09-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Given you were talking about the "meter ring" I guess the rattle was behind the panel on the actual dashboard itself?

Unless you're really looking for it, can you really see the scratch?

As for his statement about the warranty, I was given that line from Five Dock VW on my Mark 5 stating they would only look after rattles on new cars within 6 months & even then they're not obliged to fix it.

Now they've changed hands to Barloworld ownership i haven't heard them complain it's being done 'as a favour'. I assumed it was warranty work. Note that my car is still less than 6 months old though.

The scratch is pretty deep, so you can see it. I found it on the way home. But compare to the rattle, the scratch is acceptable. I am not sure whether I should complaint this problem, because they said they are doing this me for a goodwill......

They said that instrument cluster slightly loose, and also found steering column cowling not holding tight.

The service consultant said that only faulty parts are under warranty. Adjustment is not covered.:(

Umai Naa!!
09-10-2009, 05:43 PM
The dealerships are correct in saying that rattles are not covered by warranty. This is due to the fact that no parts are usually replaced, and if there are no parts to replace, they can't put a claim in. I'm on their side with this. Chasing a rattle is the most time-consuming, and frustrating task known.

A lot of dealers have a policy whereby rattles are only covered if they're mentioned at the first service. Others will cover the part (if required), but not the labour.

ox518
10-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I went to the dealer again and told them that they have made a scratch on my car. Guess what, they denied! They said one of the mechanics wrote on the report that there was a scratch on the instrument cluster before he touching the car!!

That is impossible. Because the rattle came from that spot, therefore I paid extra attention on that area. There was no scratch at all before the car was taken over by them.

Because of the rattle is finally fixed, and they did a goodwill for me, so I have to accept any other mistakes they have made?????

Really disappointing........:mad:

Grover
14-10-2009, 09:08 PM
The one thing I noticed as soon as I had spent a little time in the car was that there is an awful lot of body/chassis flex. You can hear all the door rubbers/trim moving and rubbing against the door cavities.

I have mainly onwned three door vehicles in recent years and this new set of unwanted noises (creeks and growns etc) is really very disappointing.

thamwk
14-10-2009, 10:37 PM
i find this thread rather peculiar because my experience is the total opposite. from how grover described it, it makes it sound as if the car is made of tin foil and the slightest of wind will twist the car, causing a symphony of rubbing material sounds...

like i said, maybe i am the exception here, but this car has been really good and this is comparing to a Mazda SP23 and also 2009 Honda Accord Euro, both of which aren't bad, but do have a few more creeky sounds than the VW Golf.

brh1978
15-10-2009, 10:12 AM
I have a 2009 Tiguan 147TSI it has rattles too, I think VW = rattles cause my Golf MK4 Sport had rattles too.

I had to take my Golf back to the dealer 4 x for a major rattle that sounded like it was coming from behind the CD player. They never once mentioned anything about rattles not being covered under warranty. They also scratched the ashtray cover near the gear stick and replaced it free. They never actually fixed the rattles...the main one didn't stop until I got a new CD player fitted and hey presto it was gone.

My Tiguan is pretty much rattle free City/motorway driving (smooth roads), on open country highways oh boy it rattles. I have the mentioned rear mirror rattle/vibration and an awful one that sounds like it is coming from behind the instrument cluster, they only come out on rough road surfaces.

I also hear a lot of body movement as someone mentioned, door rubber creak and panel movement...

It is disappointing to hear the MK6 has rattles, I'm thinking the new GTI for my next car, see what happens...

ox518
15-10-2009, 11:37 AM
It is disappointing to hear the MK6 has rattles, I'm thinking the new GTI for my next car, see what happens...

Actually the rattle has been fixed. The car is almost quiet but still slightly can hear some kind of noise form door. But I think this is acceptable.

However, the dealer disappointed me:ohboy:

Grover
06-03-2010, 08:50 AM
Well I have had my 118 TSi now for about 5-6 months and I have to say I am really disappointed. The car is conceptually a great package with its 7sp DSG and 1.4L twin charges engine. I should feel good driving it. The reality is that it annoys the hell out of me and I find that I actually get grumpy every time I get in the thing.

It is a shame that there is so much (ridiculously so) door and window noise. Unless you are driving on glass you can hear every single creek and grown as the door and window seals move against their mating surface. It is actually unbelievable and I have never, ever had this problem with any car I have ever owned (and there have been a fair few).

What's worst is the idea of losing about $10K if I go through the excercise of getting rid of it and replacing with something else.

Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone recommend a product (like a silicon spray) or something I can use to quiten this noise down a bit? I do notice that when the windows are down, the noise is halved but you can't always drive around with all the windows down. It is just terrible.

obiwan
06-03-2010, 09:43 AM
My car creaks if you jump into when parked on a hill. It also creaks when a "large" friend of mine hops in, bit embarassing for them (see how I didn't declare their sex so as not to point the finger to any of my fat friends that might read this).

Don't get any rattles when driving though, well nothing that surfaces above the background road and airconditioning noise.

Mk6 Golf
06-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I own the 2.0 Litre 103TDI with 6 Speed DSG (I LOVE THE DSG!!!). I've had my car a few weeks although the car was driving by the dealers manager for the past 6 months so has approx. 15,000 km on the clock. So far so good, NO rattles at all. This car is VERY quiet and very smooth to drive. :)

If I do notice any rattles as the weeks / months / years unfold, then I'll post a comment here (if I remember).

Sute
06-03-2010, 09:03 PM
It is a shame that there is so much (ridiculously so) door and window noise. Unless you are driving on glass you can hear every single creek and grown as the door and window seals move against their mating surface. It is actually unbelievable and I have never, ever had this problem with any car I have ever owned (and there have been a fair few).

Does anyone else have this problem or can anyone recommend a product (like a silicon spray) or something I can use to quiten this noise down a bit? I do notice that when the windows are down, the noise is halved but you can't always drive around with all the windows down. It is just terrible.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on this issue. Although, I did owned the markV before the curent GTI Vi and to tell you the truth that rubbing noise coming from the doors\windows seals it wasn't there. This model seems to flex more than markV. The noise is most heard when coming off \on a driveway:confused:
Also, not sure if you noticed this, push the rear top window frame inwards and you'll see that the door is not closed all the way (weird) - I'm actually mentioning this at my next visit to the dealer (Five Dock).

PassatB6
06-03-2010, 09:31 PM

BTW noticed on a German site that the 'squeal' is caused by the water pump which is being replaced over there at least. Owned 3 VWs from new, never had a rattle. One has 350,000km and still doesn't rattle.

Maverick
06-03-2010, 09:44 PM
I'm with you on this issue. Although, I did owned the markV before the curent GTI Vi and to tell you the truth that rubbing noise coming from the doors\windows seals it wasn't there. This model seems to flex more than markV. The noise is most heard when coming off \on a driveway:confused:
Also, not sure if you noticed this, push the rear top window frame inwards and you'll see that the door is not closed all the way (weird) - I'm actually mentioning this at my next visit to the dealer (Five Dock).

The Mark VI has a lot more laser welding than the Mark V so there is less flexing of the body.

Either the doors require adjustment which is a dealer issue or you could try waxing (or stripping wax) in the area where the rubbers make contact on the paint. There are numerous products that you can use on the rubber but take it easy as you could make it worse and I would avoid anything with silicone in it.

Umai Naa!!
06-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Agreed. The Krytox paste dealers use is the go.

vwsp
11-03-2010, 09:13 AM
All my doors have squeaked/squelched like you say ... however I know why ... and I know how to fix - if not permanently, temporarily at least.

It's the Meguiars wax (ULTIMATE QUIK WAX) that I use. It started straight after I first waxed the car.

Not that I waxed IN the door surrounds but given how our VW doors nestle in tightly around the door surrounds and therefore paintwork, the 'felted' rubbers must pick up/collect the wax from the paintwork and then squeak.

It's actually normal for there to be some flex in the body - just you would never know until there's wax on the rubbers!

This drove me crazy for a while too, but then I remembered this happened to my last Golf (V) - and from then on when I waxed I kept the wax away from the rubbers.

When I wash the car I get a separate chux wipe with some car wash and carefully wash the 'felted' rubbers AND inside the door surrounds. The noises disappear for a few weeks. Every time I've done this the noises have got less and less.

Hope this helps!

G-rig
11-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Bloody rattles. The way to fix them is to get a BMW or Audi

vwsp
11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
Bloody rattles. The way to fix them is to get a BMW or Audi

If only it was that easy. I've also owned 3 new Audis and they are not immune to rattles. I have not owned a BMW but have heard they can also have rattles.

In the case of these rubber door squeaks I think it's more to do with the meguiars wax - the car was polished when new by the dealer but it didn't squeak - as soon as I waxed it - it did. Work that out.

The Meguiars Wax (Ultimate Quick Wax) might have something in it that others don't, that cause the squeaking.

G-rig
11-03-2010, 09:49 AM
That's a good point, wax on te adjoining bodywork may not help but didn't think it would cause a rattle.

I thought it was more to do with the seals drying out. I've tried applying some Einszett Gummi Fplege but didn't really help.

How much would a new set be for all doors? Any chance getting them replaced under warranty?

mfl
11-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Yes, i have rattles in both the front doors, dealer could not replicate it, maybe if they drove down a few side streets, instead of up and down Parramatta Rd, they may have heard it. - have not had the time to go back and try again, with the dealer ( I'll pick the streets this time)

- also I think that noticeable squeaks/rattles in the first couple of months should be covered by warranty, if I buy a new car, like the Golf I don't expect to have to put up with annoying rattles.

as for the window squeaks, this may not apply, but I had the same problem in a Vectra I used to own, actually you couldn't drive with the front windows half down, due to the amount of rattling !. the electric window motor assembly was the culprit, the dealer did recommend silicone spray on the window frames, to take the strain off the electric window motors.

vwsp
11-03-2010, 10:02 AM
In my case I wouldn't call the noise a 'rattle'. It's a rubber squeak/squelching noise when the car moves into and out of drive ways etc. I don't think the seals have dried out as the car is so new. I really think (in my case) its a chemical reaction between something in the wax (which gives a squeaky clean finish) and the 'felted' rubbers on each door.

Infact you can replicate the squeak by gently pushing in the top part of the doors against the painted finish. Wash the rubbers and the noise disappears.

In my case I could not expect them to be replaced under warranty. It's a maintenance issue and a result of me being probably too fastidious with the wax!

vwsp
11-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi mfl, re: your rattles in the front doors, you might wish to check out my previous post at http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=41289. I had these B Pillar rattles in both front doors and my dealer fixed them. I think its a common problem. Hope that helps!

triode12
11-03-2010, 10:21 AM
I thought one of the reasons the mk6 was brought forward was to rectify the mk5 rattle problem.

This was my understanding too. :confused:

ryano
11-03-2010, 10:22 AM
My drivers seat has developed a creaking noise (not a large person so thats not causing it)

Can't be f-ed taking it back to the dealer again, since i've already had it back to get replaced/fixed all the wipers (squeaking, skipping), rain sensor (its sunny, so it must be raining), MDI connection and fuel cap seal. But no rattles yet!

mind you my old 2007 MkV Comfortline had no issues like this

G-rig
11-03-2010, 11:00 AM
It's just luck of the draw really, but wouldn't matter as much if you weren't buying a brand new car.

They can mostly all be fixed but just a minor annoyance.

Maverick
11-03-2010, 11:12 AM

It was to reduce the cost of manufacture and the time taken to build each car.

mfl
11-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Hi mfl, re: your rattles in the front doors, you might wish to check out my previous post at http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=41289. I had these B Pillar rattles in both front doors and my dealer fixed them. I think its a common problem. Hope that helps!

thanks will have a look

gti
12-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Yes rattles like something is rolling around and buzzing in the doors.

fryad
17-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I have just had my MkVI GTi at the dealer to get the door creaking issue looked at. They readjusted the rear doors (wouldn't admit if they were out of alignment or not but I agree with the earlier post in this thread that it's weird that when the rear doors are closed, if you push on them, they flex in a little!!).

Good news is that they have fixed the creaking issue. While it makes you think there is an inordinate amount of flex in the body coming and going out of driveways etc, it appears it's more to do with the complexity of door seals and rubbers....and I'd rather a well insulated and quiet car so won't complain about this!!

The solution was a spray with a dry anti-friction lubricant on all the rubbers and again, I have a silent GTi. So I asked where I could get some and of course, VW sell a tiny 100g spray tin for $75!! It's a regular issue on the EOS roof rubbers supposedly.

Anyone have any idea where I can get an aftermarket product of dry anti-friction lube for door rubbers to deal with this myself next time? Thanks.

Corey_R
17-03-2010, 02:50 PM
IThe solution was a spray with a dry anti-friction lubricant on all the rubbers and again, I have a silent GTi. So I asked where I could get some and of course, VW sell a tiny 100g spray tin for $75!! It's a regular issue on the EOS roof rubbers supposedly.

Anyone have any idea where I can get an aftermarket product of dry anti-friction lube for door rubbers to deal with this myself next time? Thanks.

This has already been mentioned, both in this thread, and others, that the product VW are selling is called Krytox. It's made by DuPont.

Maverick has a write up about it on his site (http://www.my-gti.com/1922/dupont-krytox-lubricant-door-seals-hinges-latches-squeaks-and-rattles).

Judging by the figures he gives though, it is not a cheap product, so the cost VW are charging is not really out of the ball park.

Now that you know what it's called though, and the different forms it comes in, you may be able to find it cheaper elsewhere :)

Transporter
17-03-2010, 03:34 PM
I use WURTH Rubber Care in spary can for all rubber door seal. It's a good product.

fryad
18-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys. Sorry, after posting I found the other entries including Maverick's great post. So with some searching I have sourced a bottle mailed to me for about $85 incl GST from Fluid Seals (.com.au) so you're right Coreying, looks like VW aren't overcharging. Nice to see! Just a shame we need to buy this stuff....but I found Ford forum users complaining of the same thing. I'll take a look at Wurth rubber care too.

cktsi
20-03-2010, 08:53 AM
My MkV didn't have the flex sound coming from the doors, but my MkVI does depending on the temperature & humidity.

Is it more noticeable in MkVI because of the increased use of rubber seals? I can't report it to the dealer unless the door squeak is actually there on the day I take it in.

(Actually when my MkV did have the noise it was because the bolt holding the door came loose. Tightening removed the issue).

I also thought there was also a known problem with the door bolts? (been trying to search for the thread but can't find it)

aj555
27-03-2010, 08:42 PM
I just test drove a new GTI this afternoon, a quick blast up some winding roads with some undulations in the road.

Other than the great drive from a really good car that I am seriously thinking of buying, the one thing that stuck in my minds was the amount of noise from the doors 'moving' around on their rubbers. It was most noticeable and something I would not expect from a Golf. It wasn't loose doors as there was no associated clicking noise that one gets with that issue.
There was a manual GTI at the dealer available, so if I had more time, I would have seen if that car had the same problem.

I took a Audi A3 2.0T quattro out on the same road a few weeks ago and had no problems at all.

G-rig
27-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Audi could be worth the extra as those kind of noises piss you off.

Corey_R
27-03-2010, 08:48 PM
The issue with the rubber seals affects more than just the Golf. It also definitely affects Audi's. It's purely due to friction between the seals and the paint surfaces after paint treatment (wash, wax, polish etc).
Depending on the car wash you use, and how you wash your car, it will go on its own. Otherwise you can use a product like DuPont Krytox.

aj555
27-03-2010, 10:42 PM
The thing with the Audi was although I thought the interior was marginally better finished than the Golf, you couldn't justify the extra thousands for it.

My wife did agree though that she thought the Mark VI had a much better/nicer interior than the Mark V - helps sway the decision my way.

As for the door noise on the GTI, this was a demo model, I don't remember the total km's it has done. I will try the manual and see if it does the same thing.

Corey_R
27-03-2010, 11:35 PM
You're missing the point... ALL of the VW's and Audi's (and probably any gear with large seals) have the potential to do it.

If you buy one, and it doesn't have it, if you polish in the door jams then it may do it! Like wise, if you buy one which has it, you can remove the polish or treat the seals and it will disappear.

As for the Audi being a better interior... I think the A3/S3 was better than the MKV, but the MK6 is better than the A3/S3. I guess it's just personal opinion, but I don't think Audi currently has a single reason to be more expensive.

Mk6 GTI
27-03-2010, 11:52 PM
You're missing the point... ALL of the VW's and Audi's (and probably any gear with large seals) have the potential to do it.

If you buy one, and it doesn't have it, if you polish in the door jams then it may do it! Like wise, if you buy one which has it, you can remove the polish or treat the seals and it will disappear.

As for the Audi being a better interior... I think the A3/S3 was better than the MKV, but the MK6 is better than the A3/S3. I guess it's just personal opinion, but I don't think Audi currently has a single reason to be more expensive.

+1

With you on that one!

triode12
28-03-2010, 01:28 AM
It was to reduce the cost of manufacture and the time taken to build each car.

They also emphasized at the introduction of the MKVI that one of the major improvements over the MKV was that it is quieter than the MkV due to improved noise dampening. Having rattles in the doors sort of defeats the purpose of going through all the trouble of making the MkVI quieter.

G-rig
28-03-2010, 09:14 AM
So basically dont polish/wax the door inside of the doors/sills?

They aren't exposed and shouldn't need it anyway - i just wipe them over with the chamois after washing.

Corey_R
28-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Correct G-rig :)

ox518
29-03-2010, 10:37 PM
It seems like most of us have such rattle problem around the car. Since i have fixed major one behind the steering wheel, there is still some slight rattle comes from doors, dash etc. However, just slightly, so.....what i do is just turn the music on and enjoy it....:banana:

ConR
07-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Hey guys. I know everyone probably wants to kill me for re-opening this thread. Read through things, didn't want to start a new thread, and didn't really find the answers to my questions. Sorry if I did miss ready anything though.

Ever since I got the b pillar trim replaced, I am now hearing ALOT of other creaks and rattles from all over the place. They come from the doors, boot, seats..even the dash. Some questions:

1. Krytox - can I use this without fear of losing my warranty? Although I've read alot about this product, I haven't read anything that says how and where it should be applied.
2. The noises only seem to happen at low speeds. Mainly when I move from a stand still in first gear. Sounds like there is tension on certain parts of the car that aren't being very flexible, and lead to these creaking/rattling sounds. At higher speeds it sounds fine. Anyone else get this?
3. Will 18" rims will cause more rattles inside the car (than say 17"s)?
4. Am I being paranoid delusional? I can imagine that these cars will make some rattles right? I'm coming from a $18k Suzuki Swift that didn't make a peep.

I personally don't think a car should make these sounds. I've only got 900 km's on the thing, and these noises have been going on since I got the pillar trim replaced at 600 km's.

Any help is appreciated. My apologies again if I've reposted questions that have already been answered.

Sorry, I know people have said that if you hear these rattles, turn the music up. That's just unacceptable, as I don't always want to listen to music. Sometimes I want to listen to the car.

Another edit =). Called my dealers parts dept. $53.95 for the Krytox (btw, they don't refer to it as Krytox...stumped the hell out of them when I asked for it). That price is for Part Number G052172A1 - 30ml oil

ConR
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
OK, firstly my apologies again for going into a stupid panic mode about the creaking sound. For those of you that have this sound, try just cleaning the rubber seals with some soap and water =). I just did, and guess what, no more creaks. Seems like some residue was left from something..maybe even the paint protection.

Hope it lasts. But, worse come to worse, I'll just wash it up again.

Sorry for being a pain! Thanks to vwsp...again!

Corey_R
07-06-2010, 09:06 PM
No problems mate. Yes, the creaking you get when pulling away from a standstill and also going into and out of a driveway (especially when it is steep) is caused by the door seals. This can reoccur if you polish in the door sill/cavity area. It's no biggie, what you did works fine, also using the Krytox works fine.

ConR
08-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks coreying...just a quick question...is it OK to use Krytox on the felt rubbers? These are what make contact with the metal inside the frame, and I think this is where the main sounds stem from.

Thanks!

Corey_R
08-06-2010, 09:56 AM
You'd be best to ask Maverick that :)

ConR
08-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for that coreying...

Maverick, hate to be a pain as I know you're most likely sick of this subject, but is it OK if I put the krytox on the felt seals?

Maverick
08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks for that coreying...

Maverick, hate to be a pain as I know you're most likely sick of this subject, but is it OK if I put the krytox on the felt seals?

I'm pretty sure it can't be used on the felt, these should be left as they are.

ConR
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM
great, thanks for the info!

Cage Rattler
08-06-2010, 08:11 PM
I had the creaking too. Now gone. I don't think it is the effect of rubber on paint at all but rather of rubber on rubber. Look at edges of the doors with the rubber trim with felt on outside. On the inside of the felt is a plain rubber channel. When a door is closed you have rubber on rubber which can squeak if it is dry. I applied Krytox to both inside surfaces and voila! All noise gone.

ConR
08-06-2010, 08:13 PM
hmm....thanks for that info...will give it a go! waiting for the part to come in...ordered it from VW. I assume what you get from VW is still krytox just repackaged right?

Cage Rattler
08-06-2010, 08:17 PM
hmm....thanks for that info...will give it a go! waiting for the part to come in...ordered it from VW. I assume what you get from VW is still krytox just repackaged right?

From my reading around the net, I'm pretty sure the VW stuff is krytox repackaged. I got mine vie eBAY-UK packaged as a MG Rover lubricant at a third of the VW cost!

hooba
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM
I got mine vie eBAY-UK packaged as a MG Rover lubricant at a third of the VW cost!

Make sure it doesn't stuff your electrics! ;)

yyn
11-06-2010, 12:42 AM
The rear left of my car seem to be full of activity every time I go over speed humps, pot holes and bumps. Sometimes the suspension at the same location will make a distinct thud on rebound after going through irregular road surface and speed humps.

ConR
11-06-2010, 07:11 AM
I've pretty much managed to make my car silent now (thanks to Krytox)...with the exception of a rattly glove box (over bumper roads only....and at higher speeds....quiet as when going slow) that I can't seem to quiet down without dismantling.

Anyone know how I can remove the face? I'll check Mav's site in case it's there.

Thanks!

Orient Express
11-06-2010, 03:15 PM
The rear left of my car seem to be full of activity every time I go over speed humps, pot holes and bumps. Sometimes the suspension at the same location will make a distinct thud on rebound after going through irregular road surface and speed humps.

Try lubricating the latches on the rear seat backs. I used lithium grease on the latch and that quieted the torsional creaks and groans.

yyn
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Cool thanks Orient Express... I'll give it a go to see if it helps.

MkVIGTI
13-06-2010, 12:56 PM
I seemed to have some slight rattles on 2 of my door trims. They are apparent when I play some base heavy music through the speakers. I suspect that they are from the dealer taking them off to put on my tint, and not securing them back on properly. Would it be reasonable for me to go back and expect them to fix it?

ConR
13-06-2010, 01:46 PM
I would. Although I've given up on the whole rattle situation. I've used felt tape on every single thing that I could...fixed up one area at a time, and drove it...rear seat latches, glovebox, under the passenger seat...rattles still there, but only over rougher roads (Pittwater Road around Dee Why for all fellow Sydney Siders). I can't get rid of it.

Oddly, the rattles don't happen when someone is sitting in the passenger seat...at least they are not as bad...so seems as though it's something around the seat area, maybe even belt buckle area, as I've read this is a troublesome area, but I have tried buckling it across the seat...still rattles.

Apart from removing the passenger seat and dismantling the door (which I won't do), I'm giving up. VW and rattles are a fact of life.

neil
13-06-2010, 07:58 PM
I was always under the impression one of the reasons the Mk6 was introduced early
was to rectify the rattle problem.

A few days back while having my Mk5 serviced two customers in front both their for
rattle fixes.

Im now having secound thoughts of trading mine in as its now coming to 3 years old
with not one rattle and have never had a warranty issue.

But I do want the new GTD.

prise
13-06-2010, 09:02 PM
I would rate my 118 TSI as inferior to both Mazdas I've owned previously in terms of rattles and buzzing from the interior trim. There just isn't the same care taken in how they've designed and assembled the interior to eliminate noise sources. There are too many plastic components in light contact with each other that can produce noise over rough road surfaces. The attention to detail in other areas is impressive so it's annoying that they appear to have skimped in this area.

ffforever
14-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I seemed to have some slight rattles on 2 of my door trims. They are apparent when I play some base heavy music through the speakers. I suspect that they are from the dealer taking them off to put on my tint, and not securing them back on properly. Would it be reasonable for me to go back and expect them to fix it?

I have a rattle coming from the driver's door and thought it was from when dealers did the blue tooth or tint. I have traced the rattle to the little red plastic "light" like thing in the lower part of the driver's door. It only occurs when I drive on rough roads at speed, taken back to the dealer who did "something" but of course didn't fix it, taking it back again soon. I wonder if you have the same problem.

Brendan_A
15-06-2010, 06:15 PM
My car has rattled the day I drove it off the show room floor! Not very impressed! Head unit Surround squeaked, has been fixed. Trim insert on passenger side dash rattled, sort of been fixed and now they are saying the passenger air vent is the rattle which is on order. Car developed a noise coming from passenger side B pillar which occurs on speed bumps, going around corners, slightly rough roads. Getting look at next week. And last of all both front doors rattle when the stereo is turned up which make the system sound like crap! Not letting dealer touch my door since i have the Dyn speakers so I have it booked in at my local VW specialist and paying him to fix the rattles and put Dynamat in the doors. Should sound heaps better then! Other than the rattles the car is great!

ConR
15-06-2010, 06:18 PM
My car has rattled the day I drove it off the show room floor! Not very impressed! Head unit Surround squeaked, has been fixed. Trim insert on passenger side dash rattled, sort of been fixed and now they are saying the passenger air vent is the rattle which is on order. Car developed a noise coming from passenger side B pillar which occurs on speed bumps, going around corners, slightly rough roads. Getting look at next week. And last of all both front doors rattle when the stereo is turned up which make the system sound like crap! Not letting dealer touch my door since i have the Dyn speakers so I have it booked in at my local VW specialist and paying him to fix the rattles and put Dynamat in the doors. Should sound heaps better then! Other than the rattles the car is great!

wow, I think we have identical cars in the squeak department!! you wanna trade?

Brendan_A
15-06-2010, 06:26 PM
wow, I think we have identical cars in the squeak department!! you wanna trade?

I'm up for a trade since yours is a GTI!:cool: I'll even drive it down for you.:P So you have similar rattles? Has dealer managed to fix them? At least we can crank the Dyn's up, but I still have rattles then:mad: Can't win.

ConR
15-06-2010, 06:54 PM
has fixed one, but I've only brought it in once...since then, I now have a:

1. Loose passenger air vent
2. Loose wiring harness under the passenger seat
3. Loose something somewhere
4. Quite possibly a few loose screws in my head now as well
5. B pillar trim on rear passenger door (already had the driver's side door fixed)
6. I now also have a drippy rear washer jet

I also have a very annoying bat roosting in a tree right outside my bedroom window, screeching all night long. Can VW help me with that?

Brendan_A
15-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Mine has the dripping rear washer jet too! Booked in next week for the fix. Good quality Germany built cars hey? It's amazing how when you drive the demo cars and I drove 3 different ones how they have no rattles and are super quite.
What really bugs me is when you go in to collect the car after having the rattles fixed and they assure me they are fixed and I drive off down the road and the same rattle is there! I have little faith in the service department.

McDub
15-06-2010, 07:38 PM
haha, ktrianta i think half of your problem is that once you start to notice little rattles and squeaks, you then start paying more attention to them and any unusual sound you hear you assume is a new rattle. if you look for rattles you will find them.
my MKIV has lots of rattles/noises, just about the entire dash, the head rest guide runners in the passenger seat, the entire rear chasis of the car, the rubber bump stop that the rear seat rests on and a few more occasional ones.
but then there are also ones which actually end up being thigns like your bag you put in the car, loose items in the glove box.
i spent the weekend stuffing a rag under the dash trying to stop a persistant rattle, unfortuately i broke a vent thing to get there (otherwise i would have had to remove the entire dash), so i've created a new rattle.
but when you stop one rattle, you'll then find a new one that irritates you.

i'm slowly coming to terms with the rattles in my car, i say EMBRACE THE RATTLES (to some extent :P)
i'm actually thinking about getting an exhaust to hide some of the less annoying rattles, yet knowing my luck it's make a drone that will create some nice new resonating vibrations...
oh and i'm also thinking of spending $500 on a unibrace (rear triangulated strut brace) to stop the rear of my car groaning... that's an expensive way to quieten a car!

btw i'm talking about an MKIV here. glad i came across this thread though because we have a ****load of Krytox grease at work, and i didn't think about using it on the squeaky rubber bits.
btw, Krytox is just a high temperature high quality grease, you could probably just use cheaper greases, though don't quote me.
but having it readily available, i know what i'll be testing out!

ConR
15-06-2010, 07:48 PM
haha, ktrianta i think half of your problem is that once you start to notice little rattles and squeaks, you then start paying more attention to them and any unusual sound you hear you assume is a new rattle. if you look for rattles you will find them.

LOL, I do agree with you. It's probably just because of my expectations of this car, coming from something that was a piece of junk. This is the most I've ever spent on a car. I saved up for quite some time to buy it. Hence why these noises are so annoying to me, almost disappointing. I never thought it would rattle like this from so many places. Ah well, that's life I guess.

For anyone that's interested, I'm thinking of starting a support group. I'll start.....Hi, my name is K, and I have a rattly VW....there, I said it. I feel alot better now.

Brian
15-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Interesting to note, I owned a 2000 VX Commodore SS sedan for 9 years and NEVER had one single rattle / squeak / buzz out of it in all that time. Since Ive had the Golf I have this annoying "Buzzzzz" coming from somewhere in or behind the tacho which drives me mad. Goes to show, the quality is not always in the European cars. (Well, not in my cases anyway)

Brian

ConR
02-07-2010, 07:34 AM
Ya, I know, everyone is sick of this thread for sure I imagine. But I am not sure what to do next in this situation. Here's a breakdown:

Scenario: driving with the technician to try and pinpoint the cause of my rattles (this was after they had the car for a day, and had made some "adjustments"...I went for another drive with them, as they had thought they had sorted it out...but didn't)

Me: I don't know, it sounds the exact same to me
Technician: Yeah
Me: You're telling me that you can't hear those obvious rattles?
Technician: Yeah, I can hear them...I just don't think there is anything that we can do about them. It's just the way the car has been designed.

Am I in the right to be pissed off beyond belief at that comment? Is this car supposed to rattle?

What do I do next? Do I bother wasting my time contacting the service manager to let him know his staff is lazy as hell? Or just to another dealer and never bother with these guys again? I won't mention names here yet....I'm not that kind of person to attempt to ruin the reputation of a dealer, but this is just plain BS.

Brendan_A
02-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I've got one of them rattles that is deep in the dash behind the head unit. Dealer has tried to fix it but with no susses. They have come to a dead end with it. The next thing they are going to do is take the regional after sales manager(who is part of VAG) for a drive and see if he can pin point the noise and fix. He may have heard it before in other MK6's. I just have to wait a few weeks for him to come up as he only visits the dealer once a month. I also rang VAG and they opened up a case file for the issues with my new car and said to see what the regional after sales manager has to say and they will talk to there technical support.

I'm sick of rattles in my 4wk old car! I would try and get your dealer to do the same as mine has and if no luck there ring VAG.

oshuyi
02-07-2010, 03:15 PM
i guess u have to expect this, since VW is like suzuki when compare to honda cars. obviously the quality won't be as good compare to a bmw or merc but u are paying a fraction of the price

Brendan_A
02-07-2010, 03:22 PM
i guess u have to expect this, since VW is like suzuki when compare to honda cars. obviously the quality won't be as good compare to a bmw or merc but u are paying a fraction of the price

Why should I have to put up with rattles in a brand new car from the day I drove it off the show room floor? I have driven numerous demo's and loan MK6 golfs and none of them rattle like mine.

AdamD
02-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I've got one of them rattles that is deep in the dash behind the head unit.

My GTI has a rattle that appears to be coming from in or behind the head unit as well. It's noisy over even moderate bumps; I've been trying to pinpoint the location by applying pressure to various parts of the fascia, with no luck. Let us know your outcome after you've had the car looked at by the VAG manager; if your rattle is the same, I'd be keen to know the fix.

AdamD
02-07-2010, 03:28 PM
i guess u have to expect this, since VW is like suzuki when compare to honda cars.

This notion of a rattle-free make of car is a fallacy. I've driven cheap and expensive cars, and owned three new Hondas, and they have all rattled to a greater or lesser extent. Sure, sometimes you're lucky, and some cars are clearly engineered better than others, but no amount of good engineering can eliminate all possible rattles.

prise
02-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Mostly agree - this is my fifth new car (holden, subaru, mazda, VW) and they've all had rattles and other objectionable noises of some description. Google any brand and the rattle word and you'll come up with plenty of hits. It's the curse of the modern car - mechanical, road and wind noise is lower now but rattles remain.

However I do believe that there are a number of things that VW could do to eliminate many potential sources of rattles in the interior although this would drive assembly costs up.

ConR
02-07-2010, 05:50 PM
I've got one of them rattles that is deep in the dash behind the head unit. Dealer has tried to fix it but with no susses. They have come to a dead end with it. The next thing they are going to do is take the regional after sales manager(who is part of VAG) for a drive and see if he can pin point the noise and fix. He may have heard it before in other MK6's. I just have to wait a few weeks for him to come up as he only visits the dealer once a month. I also rang VAG and they opened up a case file for the issues with my new car and said to see what the regional after sales manager has to say and they will talk to there technical support.

I'm sick of rattles in my 4wk old car! I would try and get your dealer to do the same as mine has and if no luck there ring VAG.

Ya, I wish I could get them to do this...they seem to have given up on the rattles after one attempt of fixing them...so great service there...I've escalated it already up the chain...what annoys the hell out of me is the response the technician gave me..."oh, ya, I don't think we can fix that..it's just the way the car is"...like I'm some kind of complete idiot. Sure, I'm not a mechanic, but I think I can tell when something is rattling when it's not supposed to.

How do I find out who the regional after sales rep is for my area? I would LOVE to speak to him about this.

Do you have any contact info for VAG?

Brendan_A
02-07-2010, 05:52 PM
My GTI has a rattle that appears to be coming from in or behind the head unit as well. It's noisy over even moderate bumps; I've been trying to pinpoint the location by applying pressure to various parts of the fascia, with no luck. Let us know your outcome after you've had the car looked at by the VAG manager; if your rattle is the same, I'd be keen to know the fix.

The rattle you have discribed sounds very simialiar to mine. When they were trying fix it other day they had the head unit out and the top air vents and it was still rattling. They put some foam in somewhere but with no luck it still rattles. Hopefully the VAG manager knows of a fix. Its a very annoying rattle when the Dyn's are turned down!

Brendan_A
02-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Ya, I wish I could get them to do this...they seem to have given up on the rattles after one attempt of fixing them...so great service there...I've escalated it already up the chain...

How do I find out who the regional after sales rep is for my area? I would LOVE to speak to him about this.

Do you have any contact info for VAG?

My dealer has been good to me and they have organised for the VAG manager to go for a drive in my car. If no susses with the dealer ring VAG and they can open a case file and get the ball rolling.

noone
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM
This thread is a real shame.

I can understand your dissapointment about buying a premium Euro, but here's the thing: VW's are not premium.

The Mk6 is built to a budget and unfortunately in Australia by the time we pay for transport, support and a lot of Taxes, its priced as a premium car.

My Polo has a world of noises. When I tried to get some fixed, the dealer told me he could not help me as I had changed the suspension...

So whats the issue? In order to build cars cheaper, lighter and faster, they are a basic design. If you have started dissembling your car in an attempt to fix these issues, you will understand.

So whats up with VW? Nothing, they are making cars that are OK, but like all car companies, trying to work out how to make a car cheaper and still charge the same.

Unfortunately, it sounds like there are many of you (and me in my Polo GTI) in the same boat. I'd suggest a thread where people take photos and demonstrate how to fix the issues, so new users or new rattles can be repaired yourself, should the urge take you.

Good luck.

night_flight
02-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Passenger seat rattle
Does anyone have this issue? When I go over bumps rattle comes from the passenger seat. It seems that it is coming from the backrest itself as when I hold backrest of the seat the rattle stops...Does anyone have this issue?
Thanks

GTICam
02-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Things to try.
Night_flight: Wind your pax seat back as far back as you can with the bottom of the seat as far forward as possible, then wind the backreat up the the normal position. Might pay to run your pax seat back and forth a couple of times in the runners too...

Other tips:
I got rid of an annoying tick in the driver's side door by pushing the door latch to the closed position with the door open and moving the latch back and forth (to spread the small dob of grease VW had put there when they built mycar), then pulling the door handle to reset the latch before closing the door.

As mentioned in other threads, the back seats latches can squeak too. I haven't needed to do anything other than push the back seat backrests firmly into the upright position.

I had a rattle from the ribbon cable that supplies power to the interior lights in the roof. Unclip the interior light assembly, then unclip the light housing. Bend the free length of the ribbon cable into an "S" shape and reinstall the light. Presto! No rattles.

Hope this helps.

Turbo wastegate control rod buzz fix coming soon...

Corey_R
02-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Good tips man! And lol, if you fix the wastegate control rod rattle, you'll have several guys at this forum lining up to buy you a beer :)

Brendan_A
02-07-2010, 09:19 PM
the only rattle i can find is between the drivers ears..............

Hope your not having a go at me mate?

vwguru
03-07-2010, 05:22 AM
?????? no, it was not pointed at anyone directly. No rattles if the tunes are turned up enough, lol

MurphyTheElf
03-07-2010, 02:48 PM
Good tips man! And lol, if you fix the wastegate control rod rattle, you'll have several guys at this forum lining up to buy you a beer :)

Beer? I think we'll be lining up to give him a reach-around!

GTICam
03-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Beer? I think we'll be lining up to give him a reach-around!
A beer will be fine thanks Murph! Lol.

MurphyTheElf
03-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Haha. If you find a fix for the wastegate rattle I'll be in your debt, so whatever floats your boat, Cam.

cs^mkvi
04-07-2010, 02:57 AM
All I can say is that never buy a Subaru if you hate rattles.. They will rattle.. I do not like rattles as much as anyone else, but I got used to the many rattles in the Subi. The fact is, that any car will rattle in time. Especially in Australia where our roads suck, the constant vibrations will eventually cause things to free up a little bit and hence cause a few rattles - I honest do not think that any car is exempt from it. Some may hold out longer, but it is only a matter of time.

Enjoy the car..

ConR
04-07-2010, 08:56 AM
All I can say is that never buy a Subaru if you hate rattles.. They will rattle.. I do not like rattles as much as anyone else, but I got used to the many rattles in the Subi. The fact is, that any car will rattle in time. Especially in Australia where our roads suck, the constant vibrations will eventually cause things to free up a little bit and hence cause a few rattles - I honest do not think that any car is exempt from it. Some may hold out longer, but it is only a matter of time.

Enjoy the car..

agree with your comments bud...but not expecting this to happen to a car with 2000 km's on it..sign of things to come

anthony
04-07-2010, 06:13 PM
There is nothing worse than a rattle in a car.
I have owned 7 new cars,all from new,and have this to say...
1982 Ford Cortina...NIL
1988 VW JETTA...NIL,even after 300 000 kilometers.
1993 VW Jetta...NIL
1995 VW Jetta...had rattles in the left front door after someone tried to steal the car by breaking through door handle.Eventually insurance agreed to a brand new door,but the c ar was almost brand new at the time.
2000 Holden Astra...NIL
2006 VW Jetta...had about 4,and took a long while,and 2 dealers to completely sort out,was then told mine was the quietest Jetta in Australia.
2010 Honda Euro...nil.
One of the reasons for changing brands was that I could not spend another 2 years putting up with spending every Monday at the dealership sorting out these annoying things.

My Parents own a 2001 Toyota Corolla sedan Ascent,and not a single rattle.

I feel sorry for all of you good people who have rattles,when they occur,it is a real let down...almost drove me INSANE.

night_flight
05-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Things to try.
Night_flight: Wind your pax seat back as far back as you can with the bottom of the seat as far forward as possible, then wind the backreat up the the normal position. Might pay to run your pax seat back and forth a couple of times in the runners too...

Hope this helps.

YOU ARE A LEGEND GTICam your tips worked just fine!!!! THANK you a lot!!!! :bowdown:

elephino
05-07-2010, 12:45 PM
2000 Pulsar - No rattles
2001 Impreza - 1 rattle that took 3 dealers to fix (loose bonnet hinge in the end)
2003 Corolla - No rattles
2006 GTI - Many rattles (top vent, rear outer seatbelts (solved by plugging in), driver's side seatbelt height adjuster, centre cup holder cover, mysterious never solved one near passenger seat, mysterious never solved one somewhere in dash unrelated to top vent, driver's sun visor light, strange inconsistent thunk from somewhere beneath the gear lever, similar thunk from front of car (which turned out to be a headlight back cover that had fallen into the bumper) - pretty sure that covers them all)
2010 GTI - none so far after about a month

ConR
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
sorry for this, I'm sure there are a bunch of posts that are scattered throughout a hundred other posts.

alas, I'm almost giving up on dealerships sorting out my rattles..none of them seem to care. I've also confirmed with multiple friends that the rattles are not in my head, but are coming from the passenger side of the dash.

so, I want to check it out myself, although I have never worked on a car in my life. How do I take off:

1. Glovebox cover
2. Air vent
3. Seatbelt buckle harness (the sliding mechanism)

any help is appreciated!

GTICam
07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
sorry for this, I'm sure there are a bunch of posts that are scattered throughout a hundred other posts.

alas, I'm almost giving up on dealerships sorting out my rattles..none of them seem to care. I've also confirmed with multiple friends that the rattles are not in my head, but are coming from the passenger side of the dash.

so, I want to check it out myself, although I have never worked on a car in my life. How do I take off:

1. Glovebox cover
2. Air vent
3. Seatbelt buckle harness (the sliding mechanism)

any help is appreciated!

Hi Ktrianta,
Have a look at Maverick's my-gti.com (http://www.my-gti.com) website for info on how to remove trim.
A couple of cautions with the seat belt adjuster. The "airbag" plastic logo on the upper part of the B pillar trim covers a screw you need to remove to take the trim off. The "airbag" plastic piece will usually break when you take it out. Also, it can be quite fiddly getting the adjuster mechanism to align with the trim when you put it back together. Lastly, if you take the adjuster off, you'd want to be certain that it is correctly refitted with the anchor bolt torqued properly.
I'd also recommend you persist with trying to get a dealer to sort it out...
Cheers,
Cam.

ConR
07-07-2010, 08:40 AM
Thanks Cam, I'll be bringing it back to a different dealer. I don't really want to be playing around with things. I find the rattles become less when it's warmer outside..so think it's temp related.

triode12
07-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Looks like the claims of the MkVI being a better built car over the MkV are false. This thread is evidence that MkVI also suffers from the dreaded rattles! :rolleyes:

My Pirelli (MKV) doesn't have rattles and GT (MKV) doesn't have them too (although it did have one rattle which only occurred over 80km on B roads that was sorted by the dealer).

ConR
07-07-2010, 09:04 AM
I have to partially attribute the rattles to the conditions that the car is put up against day in, day out. NSW roads are just brutal. Banging your suspension over them every day is bound to loosen things up.

At the same time though, I expect to be able to bring it in to a dealer and get them resolved. I also expect them to do whatever they need to do to fix them...not turn around and tell me that that's just how the car is, and it's going to rattle. I give them the benefit of the doubt in that they can be a pain in the a** to locate at times.

Julia Gillard, if you're reading this, please repave Pittwater Rd!!

triode12
07-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Yes I agree, NSW roads are crap.

I don't understand why councils just patch up potholes (which come undone when it rains) instead of resurfacing entire stretches of road (when it is cheaper in the long run to do so).

And you have councillers being paid $200K a year just to do FL.

satz
08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
having had my 2008 3-door GTI for just 4 weeks, I have to say it has the most trim buzzing, rattles and also the rubber squelching noises from all 3 doors. Very dissappointing and have never had the door flexing noise on any other car I've had, even ones with sunroofs...

Had buzzing over the passenger vanity light. Realised it was the ceiling trim/inner wiring buzzing slightly. Removed the light and stuffed a small 1 inch piece of foam in there to dampen.

The sunroof has started rattling when tilted open....saw some instructions somewhere about cleaning all the edges. Will try that

for the door squelching, I'll try to clean the rubbers and felt and see if that helps

Got to say, it's been pretty harrowing experience, after coming from a 3 year run with a Mazda with absolutely no trim/body/sunroof squeaks or rattles :(
I don't think it's a case of buyers expecting too much. Even if VW is the cheaper end of German building, it should still not have such bad body squeaks after just 23,000km!

cheers

S

MurphyTheElf
08-09-2010, 01:47 PM
having had my 2008 3-door GTI for just 4 weeks, I have to say it has the most trim buzzing, rattles and also the rubber squelching noises from all 3 doors. Very dissappointing and have never had the door flexing noise on any other car I've had, even ones with sunroofs...

Had buzzing over the passenger vanity light. Realised it was the ceiling trim/inner wiring buzzing slightly. Removed the light and stuffed a small 1 inch piece of foam in there to dampen.

The sunroof has started rattling when tilted open....saw some instructions somewhere about cleaning all the edges. Will try that

for the door squelching, I'll try to clean the rubbers and felt and see if that helps

Got to say, it's been pretty harrowing experience, after coming from a 3 year run with a Mazda with absolutely no trim/body/sunroof squeaks or rattles :(
I don't think it's a case of buyers expecting too much. Even if VW is the cheaper end of German building, it should still not have such bad body squeaks after just 23,000km!

cheers

S

So this would be a MK5 GTI then?

anthony
10-09-2010, 04:36 PM
So this would be a MK5 GTI then?

Yes.......

REXman
10-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Is it true the 2dr MKV GTI's were built in Germany, and the 4DR was built in South Africa? What was yours?

Corey_R
10-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Yep, that's true REXman

Maverick
11-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Is it true the 2dr MKV GTI's were built in Germany, and the 4DR was built in South Africa? What was yours?

3 door Golfs were all built in Germany, most 5 door Golfs were built in South Africa with the exception of early 5 door GTI's and all R32's.

But there is no difference in the build quality between those made in Germany and South Africa and both can have problems with rattles.

Just like there is no difference between the build quality of a base model Golf, a GTI and a R. They're all the same car ($25k Golf) with different bits on them and any ideas that a GTI or R will be magically better because they cost more are just based on fantasy.

rs73
11-09-2010, 07:45 AM
is this still the case with mk6, or have they gone to mexico to make all the mk6 golfs?

Maverick
11-09-2010, 09:58 AM
is this still the case with mk6, or have they gone to mexico to make all the mk6 golfs?

Mk6 Golfs are all made in Germany with the exception of the wagon which are made in Mexico.

satz
14-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Yaaay! had a whole day without rattles! Could be coz the temp was a warm (by Canberra spring standards) 18C yesterday!

Thought I'd celebrate....until evening came, the temp went down, and the buzzes/rattles were back :(

I've tried many times to reduce the buzzing/rattling on the dash diffuser vent, following guides on various sites. Reduced, but still can't eliminate it.

Passenger seat also rattles in sympathy with road surface, as does the sunroof when tilted open

Passenger door area also buzzes on some road surfaces

all this in a car that's only done 23,000km.....

rageR
02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Hi guys i know this might be off topic, but thought id share it.
Just picked up my mk6 Gti today and have noticed i get this rattle/vibration sound in the car, is this a normal thing for the mk6 gti?
The vibration can be felt thru the clutch when starting from gear 1 but once car is in motion do not hear it anymore.
At first i thought the sound was coming on because i had the A/C on, but i turned the A/C off and the sound/vibration is still there.
It kind of sounds like a clutch buzz or something.
Could anyone share some info on this?
Ive searched the forum but cant see to find out what this might be.
Might have to go to the dealer and get this checked up.

Cheers.

hooba
02-10-2010, 04:47 PM
The vibration can be felt thru the clutch when starting from gear 1 but once car is in motion do not hear it anymore.

I had a similar rattle/squeek, in 1st gear only when taking off. Turned out to be the lumbar support.

I also thought I had the annoying door rattle, it sounded like it was coming from the passenger's door. I found out today that it was actually my sunnies rattling around in the sunglass holder. :D

rageR
03-10-2010, 04:55 PM
I had a similar rattle/squeek, in 1st gear only when taking off. Turned out to be the lumbar support.

I also thought I had the annoying door rattle, it sounded like it was coming from the passenger's door. I found out today that it was actually my sunnies rattling around in the sunglass holder. :D

So is it a normal thing on a manual gti mk6 for the vibrations throughout the clutch when starting off in gear 1?
Can anyone clarify this?
Anyone else having this problem.

hooba
03-10-2010, 06:34 PM
It's not normal, and you should be seeing your dealer about it.

mfl
03-10-2010, 07:01 PM
It's not normal, and you should be seeing your dealer about it.

+ 1, no vibrations through the clutch.

Ryan_R
06-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I think my rattle comes from the inside front-left door handle (i.e. the bit you pull to close the door). The one on my side is rock solid, but I get a lil movement and noise on the passenger one if I wriggle it. I'm guessing the bumps in the road cause the noise. It's still easily heard with the radio on.

Wolfgang
06-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Someone somewhere on here mentioned a ticking sound from the B-Pillar trim.

THANKS A LOT!

I did not hear it until I read your post :P

VW should give owners a lifetime supply of earplugs.

I know the old turn up the stereo to drown them out but that cuases even more :lol:

Even though mine is a MK5 I have:

Constant rattle in passenger door
Rattle under heavy bass in drivers door
Ticking B-pillar/s (not going to listen to passenger side)
Rattle from roof when sun visor is unclipped (this is a strange one)
Creaky door seals (krytox lube when I have time)

The car is only 13500km old!

Should keep the service department occupied for a while. :D

JGTI
28-10-2010, 06:25 AM
The only rattle I've in my GTI Mk VI is from my E-Tag.

ecka
28-10-2010, 06:41 AM
After 5000kms i have found an intermittant ? rattle coming from higher up in the centre console but it seems to ocur at lower speeds (40-50) over local bumpy roads or when DSG changes up early. Any thoughts anyone?

DEMIGODGTI
28-10-2010, 10:58 AM
No rattles for me. 138kms so far..

Brendan_A
28-10-2010, 04:25 PM
No rattles for me. 138kms so far..

Your lucky! Mine rattled from the day I drove it off the showroom floor!

anthony
29-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Your lucky! Mine rattled from the day I drove it off the showroom floor!

Sounds like my new Honda Accord Euro.

I cannot wait to get the new Jetta next year,I cannot stand a rattle trap.

Cam
29-10-2010, 03:00 PM
My 05 GTI has a few rattles here and there. Mainly in the front door trims, middle vent above stereo and an annoying one above the glove box.

Our 08 GT sport has none, it has 33000kms up.
Our 2000 MKIV Golf only has one or two. One in the glovebox and the other in the boot. Out of all the cars, the MKIV feels the most solid actually lol.

To put into perspective though, at work we've got a new 09 Mazda 6. Its got a lot of rattles. Also driven a 2010 Ford Territory when it only had 200kms on the clock and its got more rattles than my 05 GTI. Similarly I've driven an 09 Forester which also had many rattles. All cars have rattles.

In comparison, when I get back into my GTI after driving another car, the rattles aren't really all that bad. Its definitely true you notice rattles more if you go looking for them.

Brendan_A
29-10-2010, 04:16 PM
My 05 GTI has a few rattles here and there. Mainly in the front door trims, middle vent above stereo and an annoying one above the glove box.

Our 08 GT sport has none, it has 33000kms up.
Our 2000 MKIV Golf only has one or two. One in the glovebox and the other in the boot. Out of all the cars, the MKIV feels the most solid actually lol.

To put into perspective though, at work we've got a new 09 Mazda 6. Its got a lot of rattles. Also driven a 2010 Ford Territory when it only had 200kms on the clock and its got more rattles than my 05 GTI. Similarly I've driven an 09 Forester which also had many rattles. All cars have rattles.

In comparison, when I get back into my GTI after driving another car, the rattles aren't really all that bad. Its definitely true you notice rattles more if you go looking for them.

We all know that cars have a few rattles, but a brand new car straight off the showroom floor to have rattles is not cool and the fact that they can't fix it! My wife's 09 Jetta is great. Only has the odd one on some road surfaces. I just turn up the Dynaudio in the Golf.:cool:

prise
29-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Try googling the word 'rattle' with a chosen brand of car and you'll come up with a lot of hits. For a customer buying a single vehicle it really is pot luck and the quieter the engine, road and wind noise becomes the more we will notce the rattles. I also think the trend towards lower profile tyres doesn't help. As for the rattles, the dealers hate them - the manufacturer allocates b#$%%^r all time to investigate and fix, they require trim removal and there's half a chance of ot fixing it or introducing another rattle with an irate customer to deal with. There might be a market here for some specilaised equipment that can vibrate the car through a range of frequencies and reproduce the rattle so it can be isolated and fixed or maybe a 'rattle busters' franchise......

Banzai
29-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Not a rattle, but very loud wind noise coming through the door seal at highway speeds and it seems to be getting worse. I don't know if the seals can be adjusted to fix it. Sometimes it is a whistle, other times it is a roar.
Anyone else get this?

2-door so the seal is longer and the window frame more likely to flex. Door and window alignment looks good but the seal doesn't appear to seal very tightly.

Converted
29-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Hmmm I thought I was being overly sensitive, did notice that on windy days there is the 'wind roar/sound' which surprised me as this is considerably louder/obvious compared to my previous Intergra. Odd, coz i thought the GTI was better built and sealed. Didn't notice any seals not fitted properly but I'll check them vigorously tomorrow.

Pepe
29-10-2010, 10:53 PM
Few tiny little rattles here and there, nothing too bad... other than the past week where I've been driving around without interior trim on the tailgate due to not finishing the fit of the RVC yet :D

rs73
04-11-2010, 09:13 PM
talk about rattles in hatchback... I reckon this would rattle more if they bring back the soft top...
Volkswagen Golf convertible (http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-news/golf-convertible-returns-20101104-17ekz.html)

ratedr
05-11-2010, 08:33 PM
What's the verdict on the R with rattles??

Maverick
05-11-2010, 09:51 PM
What's the verdict on the R with rattles??

The R is a golf with go faster bits and harder suspension so it will have the same number if not more rattles then a standard golf.

ratedr
05-11-2010, 10:07 PM
That's a bitch

REXman
06-11-2010, 03:00 AM
The R is a golf with go faster bits and harder suspension so it will have the same number if not more rattles then a standard golf.

Do you own an R?

Maverick
06-11-2010, 09:01 AM
Do you own an R?

Relevance? None.

The R is just a stock $20,000 Golf with go faster bits, harder ride and a few trim changes. If you believe that it will magically have less rattles than a stock $20,000 Golf you're going to be very disappointed and due to it's suspension it will most likely have more rattles.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. The car you paid $60-70,000 for has the same chassis, trim, dash, AC and so on as the $20,000 base model and it's all assembled the same way on the same production line by the same people with mostly the same components. There is no special R production line where the best staff fit special dashes, trims and so on to make the R "special".

Converted
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
There is no special R production line where the best staff fit special dashes, trims and so on to make the R "special".

Ouch! You just made us (R & GTI owners) feel less "special". :P

ratedr
06-11-2010, 02:13 PM
I believe the R would be scrutinized a tad more than the stock standard golf with quality control... It's the halo car for the brand... All the demos I have been in have been as solid as a rock... Even with 10,000kms on the clock... I guess the guys receiving theirs in coming days can provide further insight to quality...

Maverick
06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
I believe the R would be scrutinized a tad more than the stock standard golf with quality control... It's the halo car for the brand... All the demos I have been in have been as solid as a rock... Even with 10,000kms on the clock... I guess the guys receiving theirs in coming days can provide further insight to quality...

If you think they're going to slow down the production line and have a team of guys rush out when ever an R is finished you're very much mistaken. The cars are all built on the same production line(s) in the same way with the only different being the equipment that is fitted, there is no additional time allocated to them and there is no magical pixie dust sprinkled on them to stop them from rattling.

simonm
06-11-2010, 03:07 PM
But I ordered magic pixie dust... It's option code MPD.

And I'm still annoyed that my car doesn't come with a marten repellor. If I'm driving past a zoo and a marten runs out in front of me and damages my car, I'll be having harsh words with VWA.

hooba
07-11-2010, 07:19 AM
But I ordered magic pixie dust... It's option code MPD.

I believe you can also have the magic pixie dust dealer installed, just make sure you remember to ask the Ming Mole whilst you are checking out her rack. ;)

ratedr
08-11-2010, 07:03 PM
No complaints from R owners yet?

Maverick
09-11-2010, 10:00 PM
No complaints from R owners yet?

Do you spend your days scouring medical books and creating symptoms so you can rush to the Doctor for the attention?

If not why do you do it with the Golf R, are you planning to spend your days at the service centre having them look at imaginary noises and rattles?

Enjoy the car, don't go looking for problems and if you're so neurotic/have such unrealistic expectations that the Golf R will be rattle free you might be better off cancelling the order.

Maverick
10-11-2010, 01:30 AM
Maverick,
You dont know the production processes of each manufacturer. With the MKV I heard the 3 DRs and the R32's were made in Germany, as opposed to the rest of the line up was made in South Africa. hey were different quality apparently. But this is all irrelevant. All I ever hear from you is bagging, negative comments, and always shutting and putting people and their cars down.

The Mark V's started production in Germany, early 5 door GTI's were made in Germany before moving to SA leaving the 3 door GTI's and R32's being made in Germany. Quality was no different between the countries and all suffered from the same problems.

Volkswagen production processes are well known and the subject of a number of documentaries along with plenty of information available through the Volkwagen press area along with the vwvortex golf plant review and so on.

The golf is built the same way no matter which model you buy, they use the same assembly line, the same paint robots, the same people, the same components are installed the same way (fully assembled dash is dropped in with one step), seats are fitted the same way, doors are fitted the same way and so on and so forth. The only difference is that the dash for the R will have a different instrument cluster, different radio and different trim and the same applies to other parts of the build.

Any ideas that the R is built on some exclusive line with extra care and attention is ridiculous.

Transporter
10-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Good point MOVE ON! And stop having a go at each other.

mfl
10-11-2010, 11:19 AM
While driving in to work this morning, a rattle started in the front passenger door which sounds like something has come loose inside the door itself, - just wanting to ask.

- I know the car has a 3 year warranty, but does the warranty cover rattles (the cars is 12 months old) ,not caused by a component physically failing?

on previous Aus cars I have owned, the dealer after about a month, would say its due to wear and tear and not do anything under warranty to fix rattles.

REXman
10-11-2010, 07:35 PM
While driving in to work this morning, a rattle started in the front passenger door which sounds like something has come loose inside the door itself, - just wanting to ask.

- I know the car has a 3 year warranty, but does the warranty cover rattles (the cars is 12 months old) ,not caused by a component physically failing?

on previous Aus cars I have owned, the dealer after about a month, would say its due to wear and tear and not do anything under warranty to fix rattles.

Hey sorry to hear that. Subaru offers 1 year free rattle fixing when you buy off them. I am pretty sure VW would since it is a "better" brand.

Also suggest you take it to the place you service your car at. Hopefully they should fix it for you free. Let us know how you go. Have you taken your car off road or anything?

mfl
11-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Hey sorry to hear that. Subaru offers 1 year free rattle fixing when you buy off them. I am pretty sure VW would since it is a "better" brand.

Also suggest you take it to the place you service your car at. Hopefully they should fix it for you free. Let us know how you go. Have you taken your car off road or anything?

inadvertently fixed the problem. was trying to see if the noise was coming from the top of the front door or maybe the a-pillar, I accidentally snapped the sun visor up against the roof lining and the roof lining near the a-pillar rattled, pushed the roof-lining up, that rattle gone.

and no, haven't take the car off-road although the roads between home and the city are as bad as any dirt road I have ever been on, after all Marrickville and Sydney councils would not want to spend money on roads.

REXman
12-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Fixed the problem?

Good to hear!

:thumbsup:

G-rig
12-11-2010, 06:37 AM
I still have to get the dealer to look at the b-pillar ticking sound.. happens when the car isn't even moving wtf.. seems to be when the sun is on it. Other than that still happy with the overall build of the MK6, glad they did away with the over complicated top center vent which would creak all the time.

Agree that the Golf R (and GTI) still share the same platform/build process with the base models and the build isn't going to be any better just because it's new or 'more exclusive'.

triode12
12-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Our used GT (bought off a dealer) had a rattle in one of the airvents from purchase (only made itself heard on B roads)/ Brought it back to the dealer and they fixed it under warranty. This was a 2 1/2 year old car at the time. So VW should fix the issue under warranty.

G-rig
12-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah b grade roads are where you hear most rattles. They should fix them in the first year at least.

Converted
27-11-2010, 04:50 PM
I was standing behind my GTI yesterday while its idling (after a 15 min drive) and noticed a trickling noise from the exhaust, it seems to be eminating from between the exhaust tip and the muffler. It is not a rattle, but more like trickling metal. It is not constant, stops and starts. Doesn't seem to be from the resonating exhaust. Tips are not loose. So my guess is something on the inside may be loose, are there any mesh or perforated metal in the tip to muffler pipework?

AdamD
28-11-2010, 01:55 PM
I was standing behind my GTI yesterday while its idling (after a 15 min drive) and noticed a trickling noise from the exhaust, it seems to be eminating from between the exhaust tip and the muffler. It is not a rattle, but more like trickling metal. It is not constant, stops and starts. Doesn't seem to be from the resonating exhaust. Tips are not loose. So my guess is something on the inside may be loose, are there any mesh or perforated metal in the tip to muffler pipework?

Mine always ticks away from the exhaust once it's warmed up - quite noisily at times actually. I wouldn't be concerned about it - normal expansion/contraction of exhaust components.

Converted
29-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Mine always ticks away from the exhaust once it's warmed up - quite noisily at times actually. I wouldn't be concerned about it - normal expansion/contraction of exhaust components.

Not too worried about it at this point, don't think anything in thisarea will be falling off anytime soon :P
I do have the ticking as well which sounds like metal contracting due to temperature changes, this other trickling noise has a bit of vibration characteristic to it. Oh well, time will tell what this is :rolleyes:

jrgti
30-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Yeah I sometimes get some of the persistent creaks on my drivers windows. Only happens during the day time especially when it is hot. Figured out that there isn't much I can do about the materials expanding under the heat.

G-rig
30-11-2010, 12:33 PM
It's still annoying for a new car, but good not to worry about the small stuff too much, or you'd go berzerk.

Converted
30-11-2010, 09:34 PM
jrgti and G-rig, i think you may have misunderstood me, we were referring to the exhaust noises.

G-rig
30-11-2010, 09:51 PM
jrgti and G-rig, i think you may have misunderstood me, we were referring to the exhaust noises.

No worries, i'm taking about rattles and annoyances in general.

jrgti
02-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Oh thats right, and that too. I have been revving my car hard of late to see if I have the same rattle but haven't heard anything yet. I've only done about 2500kms so it is still fairly new. Will report if I get the same problem.

bigmouthmedia
23-01-2011, 09:10 PM
I have a squeak moreso than a constant rattle that comes from the lower part of the front passenger door near the B pillar....well that's where it sounds like anyway, as I'm never a passenger :) I'm about to get Peninsula VW to look tomorrow at the service, but will be taking one of the service guys for a drive to recreate it, as the last time I told Barloworld, they didn't listen or drive with me, so it's my word against theirs.

It only ever really happens at low speeds, or going over speed humps, etc.

Hopefully it'll go, otherwise maybe some of the door seal lubricant mentioned previously might do the trick, but i'll ask.

anthony
24-01-2011, 08:17 PM
A tip with people who have E Tag devices on their windscreens...they are known to rattle.

I removed mine,and keep it in the glove box.

hooba
24-01-2011, 08:47 PM
I think I may have posted this earlier this thread, but my annoying rattle that sounded like it was coming from the passenger door turned out to be my sunglasses in the sunglass holder.

mfl
25-01-2011, 07:59 PM
This is my first VW and it has introduced me to a new range of rattles, the original rattles in both the front doors disappeared after about 5,000k and is now replaced by the road and temperature dependent rattles. I get various rattles from the centre dash behind the radio, that vary in frequency and loudness. some start after the car has been sitting in the sun and then disappears after the car has cooled down, some of the louder interment rattles start after driving on the goat tracks, that pass for roads in inner city.

--- I have emptied door pockets, glove box etc,

--- and no I just can't be bothered going back to the dealer, no point

--- least I fixed the rattle above the passenger sun visor.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Corey_R
25-01-2011, 08:52 PM
--- least I fixed the rattle above the passenger sun visor.http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Are you able to expand on that one? What specifically was causing the rattle? What did you do to fix it?

mfl
25-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Are you able to expand on that one? What specifically was causing the rattle? What did you do to fix it?

The actual rattle (more like a loud vibrating noising, very annoying) seemed to be coming from between the top of the passenger side A-pillar and the roof lining.

While checking the front edge of the roof lining I accidentally snapped the passenger sun-visor up into the closed position and it made the rattling noise. I then pushed the roof lining up around the passenger side vanity light and felt the roof lining click back into position (it didn't appear to be sagging) and the rattle stopped.

Parky
03-02-2011, 10:47 PM
So i have two annoting rattles, one in driver side door/seatbelt compartment or rear drivers side. Also another one in the driving coloum area.
So i call barloworld and ask that it be addressed under warranty. They tell me that it can go two ways:

1)Faulty rattling part and labor covered under warranty

2)If rattle only needs lubing and tighting than cost is $130/hr and not covered under warranty.

He said it is a VW policy. What are your thought and opinions on this? I may as well just open the door up my self ?

REXman
03-02-2011, 11:02 PM
**** I hate barloworld.

I have sung their hate before.. I'm sorry you had to deal with them.

Move onto another dealer to do your servicing and work.

Parky
03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
So what exactly is the official VW policy with rattles and warranty ? Should they be addressed free of cost if the car is under VW warranty?

anthony
04-02-2011, 07:09 AM
VW will fix their notorious rattles under warranty...

hooba
04-02-2011, 07:37 PM
So what exactly is the official VW policy with rattles and warranty ? Should they be addressed free of cost if the car is under VW warranty?

Just call another dealer, there are plenty in Sydney that offer better service and have fixed people's rattles without any of the kind of nonsense you've experienced. :cool:

jrgti
05-02-2011, 12:52 AM
I just filled out a survey for Volkswagen and there was a question about whether my golf had any squeaks and rattles. I typed that my drivers door had minor squeaks and creaks mainly where the decorative panel is.
No rattles for me yet though. Done about 6500 kms.

MkVIGTI
07-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Just had my first service, I noticed that VW lubricates the door locks, arrestors and door seals with Krytox as part of their standard service. This must help stop some squeaks and rattles. :)

fryad
09-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Hopefully this will help someone. I had my car back to Sth Yarra VW 3 times before they could fix my intermittent rattle.

I also thought it was coming from behind the steering wheel but thankfully a savvy technician heard a 'click' when he popped the bonnet and checked the 'seating' of the wipers. I guess that's some sort of fastening in the wipers. Anyway, one of them was loose. Problem solved.

Three months later and it hasn't returned. I personally thanked the guy for his skill and saving my sanity! It's amazing how the noise transmitted into the cabin and I was sure it was inside not out. Might be worth checking the wipers for anyone at a loss as to a front end rattle/clicking noise.

Pascal
09-02-2011, 02:39 PM

Hi guys, any update on the wastegate control rod rattle?

Have had my new GTI for 3 weeks now and get the rattle between 2-3K RPM under load. Had Barloworld take it for a road test and the mechanic said it was the turbo wastegate control but didn't mention any upcoming fix and said that's the way they are. Interestingly he did say that getting it chipped would help as it would keep the wastegate control shut for max boost but stopped short of actually recommending I do this. Is the fix some kind of update to the ECU?

Corey_R
09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Hi Pascal. Please refer to the specific MK6 GTI Rattle Upon Acceleration Thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/mk6-gti-rattle-upon-acceleration-47765-15.html#post619516), specifically that post I linked you to, and the immediate responses below. Cheers.

elephino
29-03-2011, 12:08 PM
I've discovered a new rattle.

The handbrake button is rattling on rougher roads. Doesn't always happen but definitely the button as I can stop it by holding the button.

Spydar
29-03-2011, 12:34 PM
I've had annoying door/plastic rattles in the back doors and driver door. Especially noticable on rough roads and/or when I just get the car out of the drive way and heading down the road.

So this Thursday the car is going in (under warranty) for this to be fixed. Now from my udnerstanding they are going to actually take the doors off and realign them ..or something. Anyway I didn't particualy want to hear all the gorry details of how they were going to be pulling her apart - as long as she comes back rattle free. :)

Brian916
30-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Have hit the dealer tomorrow. Mine rattles in the drivers door and the B pillar. I'm sure it all started after reading this thread!

Banzai
30-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I found an interesting one recently. The driver's started feeling odd when being opened or closed. Turns out some of the bolts holding the door onto the hinge were loose and had started backing out. Did them up finger tight and it fixed the problem. It may also have fixed a bad air leak from the door seal.

magellan
12-08-2012, 06:26 PM
I few months back I had the right hand multi function control button on the steering wheel replaced at the dealer. Ever since my steering wheel has at times creak under slight hand pressure at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions. Today I worked out that the cause of the creak is the chrome band which arcs between the left and right hand control buttons over the top of the steering wheel. If I press the chrome band at the mid point there is just enough movement where it is seated on the steering wheel to cause it to creak. Besides glue, any thoughts on how this should be fixed.

SilvrFoxX
12-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Is it just a case of seeing if you can apply enough pressure to snap it into place..?

Ryan_R
22-08-2012, 06:37 PM
Courtesy of this thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f149/we-all-know-skodas-rattle-free-71951-3.html) I may have addressed an annoying rattle I had near the LHS art of the dash. Won't be able to confirm until I get on a freeway with the rough surface type, but I was surprised at how much I was able to turn the nut:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/20120822_164652-2.jpg

Used a 13mm socket with bending attachment - gave it a few pulls up towards the dash, nice and tight now
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/08/20120822_164644-2.jpg

brimway
01-10-2012, 07:30 PM
Courtesy of this thread (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f149/we-all-know-skodas-rattle-free-71951-3.html) I may have addressed an annoying rattle I had near the LHS art of the dash. Won't be able to confirm until I get on a freeway with the rough surface type, but I was surprised at how much I was able to turn the nut

How did you go, did it fix?

Ryan_R
01-10-2012, 08:16 PM
Yep :)

brimway
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Good to hear, I'm in the process of trying to find a rattle behind the glovebox:mad:

Ideo
02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Good to hear, I'm in the process of trying to find a rattle behind the glovebox:mad:

I thought I had one of them.

Turns out I had forgotten to take a bottle of aftershave out of the glovebox and was rattling against the side.

brimway
02-10-2012, 11:07 AM
I wish mine was that easy. You have to do a lot just to get the glove box out. Good news is, I think I've fixed it.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/10/P1010386_zpsa32f1ea1-1.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k497/kmasystems/P1010387_zps4b800390.jpg

http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k497/kmasystems/P1010388_zpsf05c7fbe.jpg

Ideo
02-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Ouch.

I do have an annoying high pitched rattle on my rh side b pillar though.

Doing my head in.

brimway
02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
I've heard and read of dealers fixing this

by removing the piano black B pillar cover on the driver's door and applying cushioning/adhesive before re attaching
or
replacing the cover under warranty.

There are some posts re this in this thread.

GTD AYO
13-11-2012, 02:53 AM
Had this rattle since about 3000km and was doing my head in. Anyway, due in a major part to a post on this forum, I got the dealer to investigate and the rattttttle has gone:facepalm: should have done it months ago... double sided tape was the solution if anyone else has the same problem