PDA

View Full Version : Ipod No MDI?

Torn
04-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Hi All,
Found a great product for those that have an ipod or iphone but dont have the MDI.

I picked up one of these recently from the USA for $25, fits perfect in the centre console, granted it doesnt display the songs on the screen, but it does give great quality sound (much better than headphone out) and cable is long enough to sit your ipod/iphone in the area under the ashtray. Also charges your iphone/ipod.

When you turn the car off it also pauses your ithing.

http://www.smartmadesimple.com.au/Products/15007680/Kensington-LiquidAUX-for-iPod-and-iPhone.htm

jfranek
05-10-2009, 07:32 PM
.... but it does give great quality sound (much better than headphone out) [/URL]

As far as I can see from the description, it can only give you what the ipod outputs. The gadget itself does not process the music. It's basically a charger and remote control for the ipod.

I was originally thinking about playing music from my PC phone (16GB card). But risking accident while fiddling with the phone is not worth it. And it will most probably be outlawed in Victoria from next month anyway.
I copied my music on CD's. 700MB of mp3 music on one CD is a fair bit of music, and switching CD's is easy. The display on the radio is quite good too.

But, I must say, on my old Mazda I could change tracks from the steering wheel..... Not so on Tiguan:rolleyes:

Joe

NZTiguan
06-10-2009, 06:51 AM
But, I must say, on my old Mazda I could change tracks from the steering wheel..... Not so on Tiguan:rolleyes:

Joe

Are you certain of that ?? On mine (RCD510) you can hit the menu button on the wheel for the mfd and the stereo display comes up, then you can change tracks with the up/down arrows !!

Cheers

Freddo088
06-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I think he meant change CDs or is there a way to change from CD 1 to CD 2 on the wheel?

JamesTiguan147
06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong but in the 147 wouldn't it be better to just put all your music on an SD card and slot it into the stereo using the touch screen on the head unit to play playlists and individual songs etc

That way, nothing to steal and no harm if you lose the card as all your hard i-pod work will be safe somewhere else.

NZTiguan
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I think he meant change CDs or is there a way to change from CD 1 to CD 2 on the wheel?

Well he did say "tracks" not CDs !!

Torn
06-10-2009, 09:51 PM
jfranek this is correct it does not process the music, but it is line level out (fron the bottom of ipod) rather than the headphone out jack and much better quality, all itunes music is now 256k AAC and much better quality then before. The unit comes with a bluetooth remote also, so no fiddling with the phone.

I also generally have the 6 stacker full also :)

JamesTiguan147 i already have an iphone so dont have an added expense of buying the SDHC cards and time taken to convert my AAC to MP3. as its my phone i dont leave it in the car and everything is hidden in the centre console.

I've had a lot of Ipod phone accessories in teh past with Fm transmitters, ICE audio kits etc.. and for $25 this was a great buy.

jfranek
07-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Are you certain of that ?? On mine (RCD510) you can hit the menu button on the wheel for the mfd and the stereo display comes up, then you can change tracks with the up/down arrows !!

Cheers

Thanks Derek for letting me know that. I tried, and it works on my RCD310 too.
But the result is that the MFD as well as the stereo displays the same music track information and you loose whatever was previously displayed on the MFD, so I am not sure if it is a plus.
Anyhow, it won't be difficult to get used to changing tracks from the stereo panel.
I should not have raised this issue in the first place. Every car and every system has some differences. Tiguan has two displays, Mazda had none.

Joe

jfranek
07-10-2009, 09:58 AM
jfranek this is correct it does not process the music, but it is line level out (fron the bottom of ipod) rather than the headphone out jack and much better quality, .....

Thanks Torn for clarifying this. The picture of the device dit not show how it is actually connected, so I wrongly assumed that the audio jack is for the iPod output.

Joe

NZTiguan
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Thanks Derek for letting me know that. I tried, and it works on my RCD310 too.
But the result is that the MFD as well as the stereo displays the same music track information and you loose whatever was previously displayed on the MFD, so I am not sure if it is a plus.
Anyhow, it won't be difficult to get used to changing tracks from the stereo panel.
I should not have raised this issue in the first place. Every car and every system has some differences. Tiguan has two displays, Mazda had none.

Joe

That's fine. I just flick onto the music menu, change tracks and flick back to my "normal" mfd, that way I don't have to take my hands off the wheel or focus on the radio (away form the road) at all, guess it's just what you get used to.

Cheers

surubalak
15-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I have both the MDI and Ipod Adaptor. Ipod adaptor cost me $92.00.

I have an iPhone and I plugin the Iphone to the Ipod Adaptor and the MDI. The songs and track are displayed on the screen of RCD 510 and you can touch navigate through the tracks.

I can also answer phone calls thru bluetooth.

Irrespective of that I can also play the songs on the iPhone thru Blutooth audio. But you cannot touch navigate on the nscreen and will have to use the controls on the iPhone to do that.

suparockin
18-10-2009, 08:10 AM
I have both the MDI and Ipod Adaptor. Ipod adaptor cost me $92.00.

I have an iPhone and I plugin the Iphone to the Ipod Adaptor and the MDI. The songs and track are displayed on the screen of RCD 510 and you can touch navigate through the tracks.

I can also answer phone calls thru bluetooth.

Irrespective of that I can also play the songs on the iPhone thru Blutooth audio. But you cannot touch navigate on the nscreen and will have to use the controls on the iPhone to do that.

Does that mean the iPhone isn't going to connect to the MDI without an adaptor?

Which iPods do connect?

Torn
20-10-2009, 09:47 PM
AFAIK You need to purchase the cable from teh MDI to your device, some people get all cables with the MDI option, not sure if this si the case here in oz.

For example there is a USB cable, Ipod Cable, 3.5mm cable all that plug into the MDI interface.

There is also the dealer fitted Ipod option for the glovebox

surubalak
21-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Does that mean the iPhone isn't going to connect to the MDI without an adaptor?

Which iPods do connect?

The Ipod in the Iphone will not connect to the MDI without an Ipod Adaptor. The factory fitted MDI comes with a USB socket. You remove that one and just fit in the Ipod Adaptor and it has the ipod socket at one end. I understand that the iPod adaptor connects to all iPhones and ipods, except the shuffle.

suparockin
21-10-2009, 02:09 PM
The Ipod in the Iphone will not connect to the MDI without an Ipod Adaptor. The factory fitted MDI comes with a USB socket. You remove that one and just fit in the Ipod Adaptor and it has the ipod socket at one end. I understand that the iPod adaptor connects to all iPhones and ipods, except the shuffle.

Ah thanks, I have an old iPod Classic that I can use anyway.