PDA

View Full Version : The Pits in Canberra

Bboy_Sparx
04-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I sold my car recently but I thought I'd let you in on a little story.

Upon taking deposit for the car, I agreed to supply a RWC with it. I thought, cool, easy done, I have a engineers report and nothing has changed since the last time I had it checked (we only need to get it done once in Canberra, not every year)

I took the car over the pits and they pinned me for coilovers. I gave them the engineers report (which cost me $1000) and that usually gets you over. BUT NOOOO!!!! I have KWs and they don't have a locking ring under the perch. I said, OK, but Ray Spence says it's cool. They send nope, we now need papers from Germany stating how their technology works. They needed me to call or email KW and request their engineers to write something.

WTF.

After a week or so, I was able to have my local engineer call them and sort it out.

So just a heads up. Even if you buy expensive, quality gear, it doesn't mean that it's more legal than the cheap run of the mill stuff.

For the record, if I had D2s or hottunings, the coilovers wouldve passed their tests.

I love the pits!!!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

h100vw
04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Could you drill and tap the perch and fit a grub screw to stop them moving?
AVOs used to do that.
Gavin

Bboy_Sparx
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I could have.

But a phone call was easier. I just had to come back a week later and they didn't even look at the coils, they just stamped it :P

Tim
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Would you be able to supply them a copy of the TUV cert?
Thats independant engineers writing something

Bboy_Sparx
04-10-2009, 11:21 AM
That was all included in my papers, the engineers report, plus the TUV cert. They didn't have a bar of it.

h100vw
04-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Would you be able to supply them a copy of the TUV cert?
Thats independant engineers writing something

That would never work Tim, Australia has the highest standards of anywhere on the planet. :rolleyes: When it suits. :stickpoke:

Gavin :P

Tim
04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
That would never work Tim, Australia has the highest standards of anywhere on the planet. :rolleyes: When it suits. :stickpoke:

Gavin :P

sometimes the hoops we are required to jump through are just ridiculous.

rayray086
04-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Damn. You had your mods engineered and still got all this hassle. FML!

Bboy_Sparx
04-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Oh and he thought the car was an import because the compliance plate isn't in the engine bay!

I said check the boot and he said "Whoa I've never seen one there!!"

WTF mate, WTF...

Ben_GTI
04-10-2009, 02:04 PM

Doesn't just go for mechanical stuff either, electrical is just as bad. We are the only country in the world which needs different certification for flammable atmosphere electrical devices.... which subsequently adds $12,000 to the price of a $6000 device. In Europe I can bolt it onto a reactor for $6k, here its close to $20k. :mad:

No457 Snowy
04-10-2009, 03:15 PM
My Kw's have a grub screw to lock the perch, is that OK?

I didn't even know you needed an Engineers certificate for coilovers in the ACT?

Snowy.

Bboy_Sparx
04-10-2009, 03:20 PM
My Kw's have a grub screw to lock the perch, is that OK?

I didn't even know you needed an Engineers certificate for coilovers in the ACT?

Yours has a grub screw? Is that standard? LOL

Another option they gave me was to drill into the threaded section then drill into the perch and feed a wire through both holes!

You needed an engineers report until this year when they changed the rules. If you ever took a car to the pits they would knock you back if they saw a thread on the shock body!

This is just my rant to show that even if you think you have everything legal, you never know.

No457 Snowy
04-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Yeah mate, mine have a little grub screw on the collar, stock out of the box. I remember when Seb fit the coilovers, Dragan was telling me not to overtighten it. Any time I adjust them I have to loosen the grub screw, turn the collar and re-tightn the screw.

Snowy.