PDA

View Full Version : my 118TSI, 1 day on and now with Classixs

tofo17
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I picked up my Shark Blue 6spd manual 118TSI yesterday! Only options being metallic paint and MDI. Today I took it to get fitted with the Classixs I picked up a week ago... just couldn't live with 16" but wanted to maintain that OEM look. I wasn't sure how it would look but am pleased as punch with the outcome :cool: Also got new Kumho KU36 tires put on, which should provide a bit more grip. Ride quality doesn't seem to have suffered but there is a little more road noise, though still ridiculously quiet as those with Mk6s will know!

Swap out the RCD310 for RCD510 next week and adding a couple of Alpine amps from my old car (MRP-F300 and MRP-M500) and a 10" Alpine Type-S sub. Must admit though the standard sound is already a nice step-up from the RCD300 in my wife's Jetta TFSI! Navigating 16GB worth of music via MDI with RCD310 is not easy... RCD510 should fix that :P

Seriously lovely car... now I must go drive it to scrub the tires in, then a Mt Nebo run is calling!

Sorry for poor pics, best I could do in a rush.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/IMG_4462Copy-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/IMG_4465Copy-2.jpg

Nicho
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Very nice tofo....I have the same but with the sports pack......came with Bridgestone Potenzas. I have a mate that actually lives up on Mt Nebo! I should warn him.....he collected a rock that put a hole through the bottom of the car going up the hill one day!

Did you already have the RCD510?

thamwk
03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
that RCD510 swap-out is easy.. set aside 5min for the entire job :) only discerning part is pulling the trim out of th clips. also, the RCD510 definitely sounds way better than the RCD310!

Yevvy
03-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I picked up my Shark Blue 6spd manual 118TSI yesterday! Only options being metallic paint and MDI. Today I took it to get fitted with the Classixs I picked up a week ago... just couldn't live with 16" but wanted to maintain that OEM look. I wasn't sure how it would look but am pleased as punch with the outcome :cool: Also got new Kumho KU36 tires put on, which should provide a bit more grip. Ride quality doesn't seem to have suffered but there is a little more road noise, though still ridiculously quiet as those with Mk6s will know!

Swap out the RCD310 for RCD510 next week and adding a couple of Alpine amps from my old car (MRP-F300 and MRP-M500) and a 10" Alpine Type-S sub. Must admit though the standard sound is already a nice step-up from the RCD300 in my wife's Jetta TFSI! Navigating 16GB worth of music via MDI with RCD310 is not easy... RCD510 should fix that :P

Seriously lovely car... now I must go drive it to scrub the tires in, then a Mt Nebo run is calling!

Sorry for poor pics, best I could do in a rush.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/IMG_4462Copy-2.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/10/IMG_4465Copy-2.jpg

that looks awesome dude! i reckon a small drop and maybe some 10mm spacers on the rear would definitely complete the stance :)

tofo17
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Did a Nebo run this arvo, those KU36s are sticky! Massive difference compared to the stock Michelins on 16".

Nicho, I picked up the RCD510 on eBay a few weeks ago.

thamwk, glad to hear the install is easy but I've also got a few amps and a sub going in too so I'm getting it done professionally. I thought they had the same built-in amplifier to the RCD310 so I wasn't expecting a sound improvement from the swap, just looking for a better interface. The Alpine amps should get the best from the stock speakers.

Yevvy, I agree on the drop. I've got plans for Koni FSDs with Eibach Prokit in the future. No spacers though, pretty sure they're illegal in QLD.

Oh, and the original Clevelands will be up for sale once I wipe 150km of break dust off and take some pictures of them!

thamwk
04-10-2009, 05:47 PM
with regards to the sound difference, i myself was pleasantly surprised to be honest :)