PDA

View Full Version : Engine Cover Removal

Grover
02-10-2009, 12:52 PM
How is the engine cover removed on a 118TSI? Are there any hidden retainers? It looks like it just pulls off but I am treading carefully as I don't want to break anything.

Umai Naa!!
02-10-2009, 01:25 PM
It should just pull up at the front. If my memory serves me correct.

Idle
17-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Does anyone know how to remove the cover on a TDI103?

Was looking at how I could fit a Provent on the Mk 6 and no way can I pull the cover off — I'm not physically strong enough!

I can bend it out of shape, but no way will it come loose.

I can't see anything accessible holding it down, so it must just clip on.

I'm reluctant to apply mechanical force — my feeling is that it will break something before it will come loose (though 85, I'm not all that weak — can still lift >70Kg if I have to.)

Transporter
28-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know how to remove the cover on a TDI103?

Was looking at how I could fit a Provent on the Mk 6 and no way can I pull the cover off — I'm not physically strong enough!

I can bend it out of shape, but no way will it come loose.

I can't see anything accessible holding it down, so it must just clip on.

I'm reluctant to apply mechanical force — my feeling is that it will break something before it will come loose (though 85, I'm not all that weak — can still lift >70Kg if I have to.)

I don't know on Mk6 but on MK5 TDI Top left corner there is one M6 nut, you have to look for it, it's not visible from the front. If there is no fasteners, try pull it from different directions, sometimes when you pull cover off you can sense where is it held down.

I'm sure that someone with MK6 TDI had the engine cover off and will be able to tell you how to remove it safely.

Umai Naa!!
28-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Pull it upwards at the front corners, and likewise at the passenger's side rear corner. At the driver's side rear corner, you just pull it forward out of the rubber retainer. Same goes for the MK5.

Idle
28-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Pull it upwards at the front corners, and likewise at the passenger's side rear corner. At the driver's side rear corner, you just pull it forward out of the rubber retainer. Same goes for the MK5.

Thanks for that — it gave me confidence to really tug on the cover.

Found I could dislodge one corner at a time if I jerked it hard enough, and in the end nothing broke. :cool:

They were really tight, but once removed and replaced the cover now comes off much easier.

All four corners are on ball snaps and come off the same way — the rubber retainer might only be on the petrol engines?

Next move is to trace the engine ventilation system and work out a mod that can be quickly restored to stock.