PDA

View Full Version : Tiguan Tinting

harrip
01-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I'm shortly to take delivery of a new Tiguan and I'm considering getting the windows tinted.

The garage charge $475 for the privilege - is this about the going rate? Also, do tinters have to take the door fittings off to apply the film?

Never had it done previously so welcome any pointers.

Thanks.

team_v
01-10-2009, 10:21 PM
See this thread:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=33261&highlight=tint

mickofoz
01-10-2009, 10:26 PM
When you're spending almost $50,000 on a car, I wouldn't penny pinch for the sake of saving a few bucks on window tinting. I will get it done at VW as part of my order for my Tigga. Sure, it is more expensive, but I'm not about to hand some backyard company my new car and apply some poxy film onto my windows.

Arctra
01-10-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm shortly to take delivery of a new Tiguan and I'm considering getting the windows tinted.

The garage charge $475 for the privilege - is this about the going rate? Also, do tinters have to take the door fittings off to apply the film?

Never had it done previously so welcome any pointers.

Thanks.

That's expensive. I had Rob from Hunters Hill Tinting do mine for $280 with lifetime warrenty and great workmanship (I watched him do it). He did it without taking any panels or anything off and it's a top notch job.

Things to consider:
- Get the darkest legal tint you can. I thought it might be too dark but it is far from too dark.
- Get someone whose livelihood depends on his great workmanship to do it rather than one of the big tinting houses where you risk getting a trainee doing it unsupervised and where the person doing the job doesn't really care if the job isn't perfect.
- You will not be able to wind your windows down for 24 hours after the tinting is done, so keep that in mind.

Do a search as there is already a thread in the Tiguan section on tinting.

Umai Naa!!
01-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Aftermarket tint is known to affect the signal strength of the radio antenna in the rear glass. Option it up with factory Privacy Glass (Just under $300, from memory), and then have the two front windows tinted to match at the dealership.

team_v
02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Aftermarket tint is known to affect the signal strength of the radio antenna in the rear glass. Option it up with factory Privacy Glass (Just under $300, from memory), and then have the two front windows tinted to match at the dealership.

Isn't the radio antenna on the roof???

Umai Naa!!
02-10-2009, 10:44 AM
The Nav one is on cars with factory-fitted RNS510.

Sanman
02-10-2009, 01:08 PM
Isn't the radio antenna on the roof???

VWs often have 2 "diversity" antennas - the radio chooses the one with the greatest signal strength. Its a solution mainly for compact antennas in the city where reflection, dead spots and interference is common.
Tiguan has a roof whip antenna (or shark fin with RNS510 option), and a printed metallic strip on the top of the rear liftgate window (so called "glass antenna") masquerading as a rear demist wire

JamesTiguan147
02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
With the 147, i only need to get the two front windows done.

Was $280 and $475 for the whole car???

Umai Naa!!
02-10-2009, 06:57 PM
I can tell you now, that you will not be paying anywhere near that to get the two front windows done. $150 would be a reasonable figure.

Freddo088
03-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Just get back to the question.
Is there any good recommand tint in Brisbane?
I had a quote this morning $430 with 3M film. Is this good price?

Transfer
04-10-2009, 03:59 AM
Anyone have pics of the front windows matched to the factory rear privacy glass? I would like to do this in the future for a cheap tint option.

clip
04-10-2009, 09:08 AM
Just get back to the question.
Is there any good recommand tint in Brisbane?
I had a quote this morning $430 with 3M film. Is this good price?
After declining the dealer option for tinting when I told them I was getting it done locally for $295, they offered it to me for $310 with 3M film and lifetime warranty (as long as I continue to own the vehicle :rolleyes:). I took it.

Freddo088
14-10-2009, 06:46 PM
For those who are looking for tint, you should need to look for someone with experience on Tiguan. I had mine done with reference with a friend of mine but it was not a happy experience.
It was done very unprofessionally.
Firstly, he cracks the plastic parts next to the rare window while putting back the rubber. Although, they are going to replace a new part but look I only had the car for 3 weeks that's really not a good feeling at all.
Secondly, I found a screw floating around my back seat while I was cleaning. It end up it was a screw they forgot to put back when putting back the door trim.
Thirdly, I found my back door can't open from inside. They claim it was something slip while they put back the door trim.
On my third visit they manager told me the boys had no experience on Tiguan because it's a new model. I start to wonder am I the white mouse in the lab for experiment.
Now, I am going to get the service center to inspect the door trim to see if they were properly put back because I found on passenger window winding up slower than the other 3 windows today.

:mad:

clip
14-10-2009, 07:05 PM
On my third visit they manager told me the boys had no experience on Tiguan because it's a new model.
what a load of bollocks! Poor excuse for crap service, it's only window tinting, not performance tuning!

Arctra
14-10-2009, 07:27 PM
For those who are looking for tint, you should need to look for someone with experience on Tiguan. I had mine done with reference with a friend of mine but it was not a happy experience.
<snip>
cracks the plastic parts
<snip>
found a screw floating around my back seat while I was cleaning. It end up it was a screw they forgot to put back when putting back the door trim.
Thirdly, I found my back door can't open from inside. They claim it was something slip while they put back the door trim.
<snip>
passenger window winding up slower than the other 3 windows today.

Jeez mate, that's crazy! Why the hell did they remove anything in the first place? When I had mine done I watched and he didn't have to take anything off, and the tint covers all visible glass. Please tell everyone who did yours so they know not to go to them!

donweather
14-10-2009, 09:18 PM
VWs often have 2 "diversity" antennas - the radio chooses the one with the greatest signal strength. Its a solution mainly for compact antennas in the city where reflection, dead spots and interference is common.
Tiguan has a roof whip antenna (or shark fin with RNS510 option), and a printed metallic strip on the top of the rear liftgate window (so called "glass antenna") masquerading as a rear demist wireAs I'm about to get my new Tiguan windows tinted, the above comments concern me somewhat, although I am a little confused?? So Sanman, can you please shed some light on your comments above. Can you use a metallic tint on Tiguan's....particularly the back window. And by metallic tint I don't mean the look, I mean the physical make up of the tint.

Maverick
14-10-2009, 10:04 PM
As I'm about to get my new Tiguan windows tinted, the above comments concern me somewhat, although I am a little confused?? So Sanman, can you please shed some light on your comments above. Can you use a metallic tint on Tiguan's....particularly the back window. And by metallic tint I don't mean the look, I mean the physical make up of the tint.

Rear window shouldn't be a metallic tint. Sides windows can be metallic.

mickofoz
14-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Wow, you people amaze me. For the sake of saving $100 you risk getting your $50,000 car ruined.:stupid:

Sharkie
15-10-2009, 05:34 AM
I have never had a completely satisfactory experience with aftermarket tinting.

Even the VW dealer supplied 3M with lifetime warranty I had on the GTI had bubbles etc that got worse over time ...

I'd rather be without to be honest

Sanman
15-10-2009, 06:04 AM
Rear window shouldn't be a metallic tint. Sides windows can be metallic.

+1 (what he said is correct)

T&M
15-10-2009, 11:54 AM
As others have said, the small difference between the cost of having it done at the dealer (where they will be able to rectify anything should there be problems) vs getting the tint done aftermarket is just not worth the mucking around and stress!
Tick the box where is says: 'Window Tint' when you order.

I went to "check" Tint-a-Car at Kedron today and asked how many Tiguans they have done - answer = 1.
I asked if they had to pull panels off doors and trims etc... - answer = yes!
I asked if they use a metallic film for the rear tailgate and they said yes we have "so far noone has complained" :mad:
Cost=$465
Dealer cost=$480

I walked out as fast as I could.

Maverick
15-10-2009, 01:25 PM
As others have said, the small difference between the cost of having it done at the dealer (where they will be able to rectify anything should there be problems) vs getting the tint done aftermarket is just not worth the mucking around and stress!
Tick the box where is says: 'Window Tint' when you order.

Couldn't agree more. Dealers have ready access to items like clips etc if they're damaged and can have them replaced on the spot. The tint places aren't going to send someone to a VW dealer to pick up a $1 clip if they damage one but will put the trim back minus the clip. Same with any damage to the car, they'll generally cover it up.

A few problems I've seen recently.

- In Brisbane an R32 with ~$4000 in damage from a tint company (trim damaged, hacked and even scratched window).
- An R32 and GTI in Melbourne had all the trim around the rear window scratched up and around the front tweeters. Tint place paid for the rear trim to be repaired with spray paint :eek: which to be fair matched but I can see long term durability being affected.
- A number of R32's and GTI's have had leather scratched and other damage to trim that the tint installers have denied and claimed they were pre existing.

And the list goes on and on. I know that if I have problems with any trim or missing clips that I can take it back to my dealer for them to fix and if there is a problem with the tint I can get it fixed at a service plus I get a loan car. Even if you pay a few hundred dollars more it's worth it for the piece of mind it brings.

donweather
15-10-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm not so sure I agree with you guys. My two previous cars (both of which I bought brand new and still own) were both tinted by non-dealers and the first car is 16 years old and the tint is as good as the day it was installed.

My dealer has quoted me $595 for tinting, of which she can't even tell me what the specifications of the tint are (ie heat reduction etc) nor tell me what manufacturer of film they use. Have any of you guys actually seen the dealers physically installing the tint? I'd be extremely surprised if they are actually doing it at the dealers, and my bet would be they'd have a deal with the local tinter down the road (tintacar for example) and all they do is drive it down the road, get the tint done and drive it back. A fair waste of $300 extra IMO. Yes I've got a quote for $295 from a car tinting place, where they are more than open and honest about telling me all of the specifications of their various tints and film manufacturers.....$300 cheaper for exactly the same tint job.

The girl at the dealers told me their tints were world class with 80% heat reduction and 100% fade protection. I asked her if they were metallic or non-metallic tints. She said non-metallic (which is one good piece of news, given the antenna in the rear window). Can someone please find me any worldwide NON-METALLIC tint that get's anywhere near the above specifications, as I truly believe the girl at the dealers didn't have a clue what she was talking about. All she was worried about was getting her $300 commission for driving my car down to the nearest tintacar place.

Arctra
15-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I believe VW Aus (or Chatswood Classic Cars at least) use StreetLegal brand tint (http://www.motorone.com.au/car_care/street_legal_window_tinting.php). I called them up directly to ask for a quote and they said they only provide the tint through dealers.

Hope that helps?

Torn
15-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Correct me if i am wrong, but no dealers i know of actually tint cars, they sub it out to a tinter that either does the work onsite in their workshop or takes the car.

I used to work for a tinter and this is how it worked.

May be different in the bigger cities,

Though it is easier to get things fixed through the dealer!

I got my Tig Done through the dealer at the local tinter around the corner for $495

Clear UV on back as had factory tint and Same brand tint on from but at 35%

Maverick
15-10-2009, 11:35 PM
My dealer has quoted me $595 for tinting, of which she can't even tell me what the specifications of the tint are (ie heat reduction etc) nor tell me what manufacturer of film they use. Have any of you guys actually seen the dealers physically installing the tint? I'd be extremely surprised if they are actually doing it at the dealers, and my bet would be they'd have a deal with the local tinter down the road (tintacar for example) and all they do is drive it down the road, get the tint done and drive it back. A fair waste of $300 extra IMO. Yes I've got a quote for $295 from a car tinting place, where they are more than open and honest about telling me all of the specifications of their various tints and film manufacturers.....$300 cheaper for exactly the same tint job.

As Arctra pointed out it's Motorone that is often used and the installer generally installs the tint at the dealer.

I have Street Legal Tint on my car which I paid $100 for (negotiated free tint and paid the difference to upgrade).

All she was worried about was getting her $300 commission for driving my car down to the nearest tintacar place.

You can negotiate the price down with the dealer.

T&M
16-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Hi all,
Personally, after doing the running around and talking to some staff at dealers that had no idea and then talking to staff at after market locations, that equally, had no idea, I firmly believe that if you can negotiate a better price at a dealer then great. If not, who cares.
Also I don't really care who "actually" applies the film to the car and whether it's metallic or otherwise. Life is too short to scratch around with minor blips like this! If the dealer screws it up, they can fix it. If the radio doesn't work, they can replace the film or do whatever they need to do.
I feel that I am a little more protected (via the dealer in this case) from the finger pointing that can happen when allowing people to work on your car who have zero experience on a particular model.

Q. Would you allow a Tint-a-car place to tint your vehicle if they have only done one other Tiguan - ever...? I bet you don't either! :brutal:

Maverick
16-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Q. Would you allow a Tint-a-car place to tint your vehicle if they have only done one other Tiguan - ever...? I bet you don't either! :brutal:

A lot of the tint places seem to have a decent turnover of staff as well so even if the guy behind the counter says that they've done one it doesn't mean the person who is doing your tint has done one before. Plus limited supervision and using contractors if someone is off sick or there is an excess of work makes it too risky IMO to contemplate using them for anything but an older car that you don't care too much about.

There was a guy that was highly recommended in Sydney that worked for himself and had done a lot of Golfs etc but I don't know of anyone like that in the other states.

BigMan
16-10-2009, 01:30 PM
thank god we got Rob in Sydney. I got 3 cars tinted by him, so far i have also recommended him to 3 mates.

when i get my tiguan guess who will be tinting it!

Arctra
17-10-2009, 06:13 AM
thank god we got Rob in Sydney. I got 3 cars tinted by him, so far i have also recommended him to 3 mates.

when i get my tiguan guess who will be tinting it!

X2 for Rob. He did my Tig with no panel removal, no scratching or damage of plastics, no bubbling, a perfect fit, and transferable lifetime warranty... all at half the price of the Dealer.

Best bit for you BigMan is that he's now done a Tig and has a positive review from doing it :D

donweather
19-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I believe VW Aus (or Chatswood Classic Cars at least) use StreetLegal brand tint (http://www.motorone.com.au/car_care/street_legal_window_tinting.php). I called them up directly to ask for a quote and they said they only provide the tint through dealers.

Hope that helps?Cheers Arctra. VW Austral use these guys and I rang them the other day. They at least provided me with some confidence that they knew what they were doing (as opposed to the VW Sales girl who had no idead). They informed me (contrary to the VW Sales girl) that Streetlegal tint is infact a metallic tint and thus I'd need a non-metallic tint on my rear window. They also told me they have to remove the trims etc to install the tint due to the rubber seals on the door windows, so I'd be interested to know how your guy did it with no trim removal??

Went back to the dealer on the weekend to see a car with Streetlegal on it. The sales girl was horrified when I told her I'd spoken to the tinters and they'd told me the tint was metallic. She told me the best price she could do was $520. I told her I had a quote for $295 and she just said she couldn't get anywhere near that as that was way below her cost price. I kindly declined her offer and will be going elsewhere.

borbor1313
19-10-2009, 10:00 PM
Im getting my first 15000km service at Solitaire in Adelaide.I ask how much to get the windows tinted as was quoted $300 without haggling , yep $5 more than tint -a -car. I haven't found out who does the tinting as it is obviously out sourced ,could still be the tint -a car around the corner but given Solitaire also caters for aston martin,landrover,audi,jaguar and volvo Im sure the tinter must be good.

donweather
21-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Well, it turns out that Tiguan door trims can't be removed (similar to Golf's apparently) and so the tinters had to heat shrink all the tint on the side windows and it took them some time to do it too.

So I honestly can't see now how there's any difference in tinting via the dealership's tinter versus at an after market tinter, given that neither remove the door trims hence very little "breakage" or "damage" to the car can occur.

mickofoz
21-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Donweather... I'd say you have your tinting done at your local backyard tinter so you can save $50 on a $50,000 car and I will have it done at the dealer which then falls under the dealer warranty. That way we are all happy.

clip
21-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Well, it turns out that Tiguan door trims can't be removed
I wonder what it was that I removed then?

mattyb
22-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi all, I had my tints done after market and had no problems with trim breakage/removal.

If you tick the 'TINT' box when ordering the car keep in mind that the tint is done NOT by the dealer, but thru a local tint shop. eg have previously purchased two cars thru a large car dealer chain in Brookvale. Both times I asked for window tinting with the car. I paid about double what I did when I walked into the same shop with the Tig.

Dealer is going to make a profit on the tint as well as the guy/shop doing it.

donweather
22-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Donweather... I'd say you have your tinting done at your local backyard tinter so you can save $50 on a $50,000 car and I will have it done at the dealer which then falls under the dealer warranty. That way we are all happy.Hey Mick, I believe in value for money mate. Why should I pay someone double the price when I get just as good a job elsewhere. The additional money for the dealer tint certainly wasn't going to the dealer's tinter....it was going straight into the pocket of the dumb sales chick who knew absolutely nothing about the tint she was so desperately trying to sell me.

Maverick
23-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Hi all, I had my tints done after market and had no problems with trim breakage/removal.

No offence but have you taken the trims off to see if there was any damage?

If you tick the 'TINT' box when ordering the car keep in mind that the tint is done NOT by the dealer, but thru a local tint shop. eg have previously purchased two cars thru a large car dealer chain in Brookvale.

All the dealers that I have dealt with have a contractor from one of the dealer supply companies that comes in to install and the dealer handles all warranty and is responsible for damage even if it's not picked up for years.

Both times I asked for window tinting with the car. I paid about double what I did when I walked into the same shop with the Tig.

That's your fault for not negotiating!

Dealer is going to make a profit on the tint as well as the guy/shop doing it.

Depends, work it into the deal. I paid $100 for the $595 tint package so was happy with that and that was after I'd negotiated a good deal and just before I signed. The dealer will be willing to negotiate to keep your business.

Maverick
23-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Well, it turns out that Tiguan door trims can't be removed (similar to Golf's apparently) and so the tinters had to heat shrink all the tint on the side windows and it took them some time to do it too.

That's going to suck when something fails in the door like the controller or the lock. A new complete door painted will be thousands!

Or your tinter had absolutely no idea what he was doing. To do the job properly the door trims have to come off.

Arctra
23-10-2009, 07:50 AM
It seems there are fairly polarized opinions on this and no "right answer". If you're a good negotiator and can knock the dealer down to something near what a backyard tinter would do, then it obviously makes sense to do that as you're covered by the dealer warranty and will be able to include the tinting as part of your financing/novated lease.

If you're not such a good negotiator or your dealer plays hardball, then it's down to what you can afford and what you're comfortable with. If money is no object or is less important than your peace of mind, then get the dealer to do it. If you trust backyard tinters with a good reputation, then you can save yourself some money by avoiding the dealer, bearing in mind that you are then taking the risk of poor workmanship... so it's in your best interest to do your research properly.

I personally went with a backyard tinter because I have an objection to giving money to middle-men where those middle-men provide little or no benefit in my opinion. I do appreciate I have different opinions to some though.

They also told me they have to remove the trims etc to install the tint due to the rubber seals on the door windows, so I'd be interested to know how your guy did it with no trim removal??

I watched him do it and it was quite clever. He cut the tint to size on the outside of the window where he could, then for the bits that would be out of sight he trimmed the tint on his cutting board. He used his heat gun to preshrink parts of it so it had the right curvature (and I think this is where the skill and experience shows). He then wet the inside of the window with his hand spray, put the tint on, and slid it down the window so that there was no exposed untinted glass. He then used his little hand tool to press the tint on flat and move any bubbles to the edges and out.

I checked the trim after he'd finished as I was concerned about scratching etc, but it was in perfect condition still from what I could see. The only other concern I had was that the edges out of sight hadn't bonded to the glass properly, but have since satisfied myself that it isn't really a concern as it's unlikely, and besides, I have a lifetime warranty if it's necessary. How am I satisfied? Well, take a thin plastic film similar to tint (e.g. overhead projector sheet), clean a window then wet it. Put the film on the wet part and notice it sticks. This has something to do with water surface tension from what I read, so you can push the film around on the wet part and the edges don't come off. The tint film is a permeable membrane that bonds to the glass as the water evaporates, so the edge should be securely bonded now.

That's going to suck when something fails in the door like the controller or the lock. A new complete door painted will be thousands!

Or your tinter had absolutely no idea what he was doing. To do the job properly the door trims have to come off.

I have to agree with you Mav, it doesn't sound right that you can't take the trim off. It's probably that you can't take the trim off easily, or without having to replace clips or something, but the trim can definitely come off otherwise the dealer would not have been able to replace my broken drivers door window.

As for your comment on doing the job "properly", I guess that's a subjective call. I think my tinting has been done properly without the trim being removed, but perhaps you don't feel it's done properly without actually seeing the entire window covered in tint to the edges (even below the trim where the glass will never see the light of day anyway). As I've learned in life, there's "Best Practice" and then shades of gray through to poor practice... it's not always a case of "black and white best or worst practice.

avalasia
23-10-2009, 08:06 AM
everyone is talking about piece of mind but most tinting shops give you a life time warranty on their product so what is there to worry about? If it bubbles take it back and they will fix it.

When a dealer tints your car the same things can go wrong as a "backyard tinting shop" at the end of the day it all comes down to $$$ if VW wants $500 to ting your tiguan and you feel that you can pay someone $250 for the same job then you end up with some extra money in your pocket.

Maverick
24-10-2009, 08:31 PM
everyone is talking about piece of mind but most tinting shops give you a life time warranty on their product so what is there to worry about? If it bubbles take it back and they will fix it.

That's not what is being discussed, the damage that is done to cars is being discussed and there are plenty of VW owners who have had damage done (including one here in Brisbane with $3-4000 worth of trim destroyed). In that example it was an apprentice/junior who did that car on his last day and it was paid out through their insurance company, but what occurs if you make a claim and the business has been recently sold? The new owners won't accept responsibility and I've seen quite a few tinting businesses up for sale and never a VW dealership.

When a dealer tints your car the same things can go wrong as a "backyard tinting shop" at the end of the day it all comes down to $$$ if VW wants $500 to ting your tiguan and you feel that you can pay someone $250 for the same job then you end up with some extra money in your pocket.

I don't agree for the following points that I've posted about throughout this thread (which if you haven't read you should do).

The majority of dealers use one of the few companies to do their tinting which is done onsite at the dealer so the staff are familiar plus they can access parts and advice on trim removal if required.

Plus the other benefit is that if there is a problem with the tint the dealer will sort it out (at the same time as a service for example and you can access a loan car) so you don't have to stuff around taking it back and forth to a tint shop.

And if any trim is found damaged years later the dealer will sort it out.

Plus you can get the price of the tint down at the dealer to near that of getting it done somewhere else.

A large percentage of tints I'm sure go without problems but I would rather have one place to deal with. No-one is suggesting that the dealer tint is special or anything like that but if you're unlucky enough to have problems you'll wish you had it done at the dealer. I had a problem with the tint on the rear window and it was fixed when the car was in have a few other things looked at, no extra hassles and I had a free loan car.

As for your comment on doing the job "properly", I guess that's a subjective call. I think my tinting has been done properly without the trim being removed, but perhaps you don't feel it's done properly without actually seeing the entire window covered in tint to the edges (even below the trim where the glass will never see the light of day anyway). As I've learned in life, there's "Best Practice" and then shades of gray through to poor practice... it's not always a case of "black and white best or worst practice.

I probably should have worded it better "To do the job properly you generally have to remove the door trims".

If you have someone who know's what he's doing that install is probably fine, be good to see how it's holds up over a period of time.

harrip
25-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Personally I would prefer a warranty from a VW dealer than a tint shop, I think the former is more likely to be around in a few years time in the event there is a problem - just personal preference though.

I negotiated the price of the tint down with the dealer so picking the car up all sorted at an acceptable price saved me the hassle having to go elsewhere for the tint.

gecko2k
07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm about to get the Tig tinted. I've done a fair bit of reading in the Mk6 section, but I'm wondering if the Tig's front (grey) and rear (green) glass are identical to the ones on the GTI and R? If so I would get 22 supreme/52 quantum done!

Unfortunately I don't know anyone with one of those two cars. Does anybody know more about that?

hippyhippy
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Personally I would prefer a warranty from a VW dealer than a tint shop, I think the former is more likely to be around in a few years time in the event there is a problem - just personal preference though.

I negotiated the price of the tint down with the dealer so picking the car up all sorted at an acceptable price saved me the hassle having to go elsewhere for the tint.
u do realise that most factory tint is actually done by local shops?

gecko2k
07-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Are you sure about that? If it says privacy glass then it is most likely factory fitted green/grey glass.

I doubt OEM tint is done by local shops as VW wouldn't be able to maintain one quality level. Local shops tend to do the tint you buy at the point of purchases at an inflated price. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

wind
07-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Yes hippyhippy is correct, the tinting is not done by dealer staff, they either get a mobile tinter to come in to do the job or have a relationship with a local/nearby tint place. They charge you a pretty penny for it too!

I ordered the sports pack on my passat which includes factory tinting to the passenger side glass and rear glass - this factory tint is where the tint is impregnated into the glass itself and not just a film on the glass.

On delivery, I had the front windows tinted to match shade with the factory glass but at a legal opacity as the rears were just a little on the dark side of legal . . . at least the ones on my car were.

It is hard to tell any colour difference between the tint and factory glass as the match done by the tinter was very close - only under certain light/angles do you notice that it is slightly different (these days you can get so many different grades and shades of tint that there is bound to be one that is a close match to your car).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/IMG_14551-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/09/IMG_1457-1.jpg

Re tinting - I got it done by a tint specialist (not through the dealer - way better price, same quality if not better) and asked them to put metallic tint on the front side windows for the UV and heat protection and a clear UV film on the factory tinted glass. You should check with your dealer - the factory tint is shade only, there is limited/no UV protection, the factory tinted glass also does only an OK job with IR/heat - I asked for a high UV protection clear tint that is good at blocking heat as well.

Personally, I would go for good quality metallic tint for the non-factory tinted glass as it cuts more UV and IR than the regular tints (yes, it is a little pricier). I had even asked my dealer to do a delete option for the factory tint on my sports pack - but was no-can-do :(

Also, there are plenty of threads on the best tint places, getting a good deal, which tint material works best (metallin/non-metallic), what grade of tint you should go for, pics of before/after etc.

DoggieHowser
07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Actually there's an option for some Veedubs to have a factory privacy glass option. My old MkV GTI had that, as did my Tiguan 155TSI. It does f**k all to remove UV and IR though.

I ended up going to TintACar to get my Tiguan done. Used the factory legal Formula 1 tint.