PDA

View Full Version : GL engine problems

BlackMajix
04-02-2007, 04:19 PM
I'll apologise in advance that my mechanic talk only goes so far as "thingy" and "greasy pipe bit". If you guys want to enlighten me on the actually names of any of these bits so that I can at least pretend not to be such a noob I'd be grateful :D

My baby has been having a bit of trouble.

This pipe that I've marked below keeps coming off!!
http://lh4.google.com/image/ReighM/RcVya4Cb44I/AAAAAAAAADg/5qpUF63PsMs/s288/air-intake-problem.jpg

First time I noticed was when I took her in for a pinkslip. The mechanic pointed it out and asked if she'd been losing power (all I'd noticed was that she would jump sometimes when accelerating). He reattached the pipe and all was well.
That is until, I'm out on the freeway and she starts losing power when accelerating. I coaxed her home and checked under the bonnet and sure enough the pipe is off again!

Now what could be causing the pipe to blow off??
Is it just a case of replacing the clip because its not holding well enough?
or is this likely to be a symptom of something more serious, a build up of pressure prehaps? :???:

*chewing nails in anticipation*
R

h100vw
04-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Take the pipe off all the way and clean both inside the pipe and round the throttlebody( aluminium bit) with carb cleaner.

Once degreased refit the pipe and maybe use a proper jubilee clip instead of VWs.

You might find that there is a slack front engine mount being the real cause of the problem.

Gavin

DubSteve
04-02-2007, 05:13 PM
Could it be a possibility it being loose. All it needs is a tightening up?

Bora Sport
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
That is the inlet for air into the engine. So the only pressure that it experiences is a mild vacuum and therefore it cannot blow off or come of because of high pressure. Unless of course in the very unlikely event of a backfire.

My wife's Vento has also experienced the same problem but if you check I am pretty sure that there is a small ridge or maybe indent I can't remember and once you locate the clip properly it shouldn't come off again. It is worth checking the engine mount to see if there is too much engine movement under acceleration.

I hope this helps.

G60JAY
04-02-2007, 07:57 PM
Probably the engine/gearbox mount as the others have mentioned.

BlackMajix
05-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks guys for the replies :D

I'll get myself a better hose clamp and make sure I get that sucker on good and tight!

R