PDA

View Full Version : Golf 103 - unnecessary item?

Anfield
28-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Hello all

I've just received a quote for a MkVI 103TDI for $43,600 ish and that doesn't include ACC. Is ACC pretty much a waste of time on a non-sporty variant of the Golf?

My price included:
Dynaudio
Sport pack (leather, 17" wheels, tint, Fog lights)
DSG
iPod connector

cheers

Anfield

JustCruisn
28-09-2009, 09:30 PM
Adaptive chassis control.
Well that's up to you. If you want that extra handling get it, otherwise leave it off.

sillygogo
28-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Fog lights come with the sports pack...so don't let them charge you extra for it :D

JasonP
29-09-2009, 07:00 AM
I have ACC on my 118TSI Sport Pack, but not on my 103TDI Sport Pack.
I love the ACC, however the standard Sport Pack delivers a good compromise of a comfortable ride, & good handling.

The ACC car on "Sport" is definitely firmer & "jigglier" than the standard sport pack.

I use "Comfort" around town on Brisbanes' crap roads, & "Sport" for the occassional twisty bits with no traffic.

However, I'd be perfectly happy with the Sports Pack & no ACC.

Ultimately, you may have to wait for a car to be built if you option ACC, whereas VW has many cars already built & in Oz with the standard Sports Pack.

It sort of depends on whether you want to spend the money, and/or wait a bit longer for the car.

thamwk
29-09-2009, 09:32 AM
...I use "Comfort" around town on Brisbanes' crap roads, & "Sport" for the occassional twisty bits with no traffic.

I used to think the same about Brisbane roads... until I moved to the portholes capital of australia... sydney!

team_v
29-09-2009, 09:52 AM
I would check the prices of everything that you can get elsewhere first.

I.E. Dynaudio (is it really worth it)
If foglights come seperate its probably cheaper to get them from ECS tuning and then get them installed.

Nice purchase though, should be able to bump the power up a bit with a chip :)

Anfield
29-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Thankyou all for your replies.

The main reason i want the Dynaudio is that i wanted to have the iPod interface on the screen (assuming that the Dynaudio system does that). Also my thinking behind the ACC is that is it really something that i should get as the car isn't what you may call 'sporty'.

I'd love to get the GTD but i still haven't heard anything 'official' as to it's existence in Australia.

Is the price a competitive one? The spreadsheet on this forum doesn't really have many diesels on it and the price i got was the first and only one i have.

team_v
29-09-2009, 10:20 AM
The GTD is coming, there was a thread about it on here a few weeks ago, i will see if i can find it.

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=33109

http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au/perl/32502_858589_RVD_31Jul2009103524.cmd

ricksterrr
29-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Yup - GTD is definitely headed for AU. Question is whether it is going to be released alongside the GTI in Oct or later....

Straight from the new head honcho of VW Aus:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/drive/motor-news/volkswagen-scirocco-could-return-20090923-g2ba.html

“We want to launch the (petrol-engined) Golf GTI and the (diesel-engined) GTD in Australia before we think about the Scirocco,” Ms Koeckler said.

rosslm
01-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I have driven 118TSI and 103TDI both with ACC and for $1500 or combined with Sports Pack cloth + ACC for $3000 is good value on both. ACC gives you an extra dimension in terms of handling and steering feel

see Wheels 103 TDI test

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/Road_Tests/This+Week%27s+Wheels:+VW+Golf+103TDI+Comfortline.h tml?open&template=domWheels

Also Dynaudio 300 is clearly a better sound system at $2050 with MDI also worth having

I hope so, I've just ordered the above for build week 41

It's a hell of a lot of technology for the money

103 TDI DSG, Sport Pack cloth + ACC, Dynaudio 300 + MDI + reversing camera, mats for floor and boot, tinted windows at $42500 on road.

gregozedobe
01-10-2009, 05:12 PM
It's a a lot of technology for a lot of money ...... $42500 on road.

Fixed for you :rolleyes:

rosslm
01-10-2009, 07:27 PM
I seem to remember paying $48K 18 years ago for a top line HSV, today that equates to 100K, so I'll say it again what I'm getting for 42.5K is a real bargain. What NEW car would you suggest instead? I tried a lot of cars and nothing this side of 60K is as refined as the Golf

gregozedobe
02-10-2009, 01:00 AM
What NEW car would you suggest instead? I tried a lot of cars and nothing this side of 60K is as refined as the Golf

Settle tiger, didn't you notice I used the :rolleyes: to show I wasn't really serious ?

As far as other new cars go lot depends on what YOUR priorities and preferences are (they are likely to be quite different to mine). Did you have a good look at the Octavia range of models when you were looking ? The Oz owners of Octys are mostly very happy with them.

Just make sure you take into account the std equipment and price of options, as otherwise you are comparing oranges with limes. I found the 1.8 TSI engine was a real honey when I test drove them, and the boot space is WAY bigger than a Golf. Some dealers were recently doing spectacular driveaway prices on 2008 build stock (eg $32,990 driveaway for a 2008 vRS hatch ! )

rosslm
02-10-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm sure the Skoda's are a good deal, I tried the new superb diesel beautifully built but I found the ride to harsh. Same technology as VW and very well put together. But in refinement the Golf VI is a generation ahead in terms of NVH, yes Golf has a small boot but with the hatch and fold down rear seat it's versatile enough.

gregozedobe
02-10-2009, 12:00 PM
As I said, personal priorities and preferences vary widely. Re ride harshness in Skodas - in the UK a lot of owners fit Koni FSD shockers to give a better ride and (supposedly) better handling as well, but from what I've read they are biased towards the comfort end of the spectrum rather than performance.

I'm sure you will be very happy in your new Golf, and that is all that counts :)

golfmk6
02-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I will trade in my new GOLF TDI for th GTD.. it's a nice car...