PDA

View Full Version : Mk6GTI - 18"?? ACC??

windmagnet
27-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been doing a fair bit of research on the Mk6 GTI. From the briefly published/unpublished spec sheet it looks like the Adaptive Chassis Control will not be offered as standard. I did see an article suggesting VW Aust were considering including ACC as standard and a dealer thought that this might justify the anticipated higher price of the MkVI GTI despite more favourable exchange rates.

It also looks like the 18" wheels which feature in most of the overseas promotional photos will be on offer as a factory option in Australia (as per NZ). The wheel is called a "Detroit" in the Oz spec sheet. I found what appears to be the same 'Detroit" wheel supplied as standard on the MkV GTI on the Volkswagen Asia website. It looks the same as the 18" wheel called a Monza Shadow in the UK brochure. Pricing of the 18" is unknown although the NZ website indicates NZ$2,000.

I have driven a Pirelli with the 18" wheels and the ride was pretty firm compared to a mkV GTI. The dealer tells me the suspension is otherwise the same. The dealer thinks I should stick with the 17" wheels. I have read that if you take up the ACC option, then you can take a lot of the harshness out of the ride on the 18" wheels by switching to the comfort setting.

Sounds possible to get the best of all worlds with the ACC and the 18" wheels but it is a sizeable extra investment which I would have to make on spec if I pre-order. Driving a Mk VI Golf (non GTI) with ACC won't tell the story either because apparently the ACC fitted to the GTI is set differently (plus my dealer does not run 18" wheels on the demo with ACC).

Any Mk VI owners with ACC? How have you found it?

Has anyone found a good review or info on this or do any of you owners have an opinion about life in a Golf with the 18" wheels?

My mileage will all be on bitumen ranging from short city commutes to drives between capital cities.

Lima
27-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Your best bet on ACC info is to check out reviews from UK/European mags - Car, Autocar, Evo etc...

Get the 18s, the 17s looked shizen in 2005 and they're not getting any better, they actually look worse on the harder edges of the Mk6 too.

philthy
27-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Get the 18s, the 17s looked shizen in 2005 and they're not getting any better, they actually look worse on the harder edges of the Mk6 too.

+1. I didn't mind them on the mkV but they look very ordinary on the VI. Should have been relegated to the museum.

anarchycamp
27-09-2009, 09:36 PM
yep x 2 on those comments about the standard 17s, they are way too dated on its pretty messed up on VWs behalf for releasing a new (well sorta) model with the same wheels as the previous. I noticed a bit of difference when switching to 18s but nothing too worry about unless you take it off road all the time! Im sure ACC will help a little as well.

I reckon anyone who gets a Mk6 GTI, first option should be the 18s!! please!!!

13s = Mk1
14s = Mk2
15s = Mk3
16s = Mk4
17s = Mk5

you do the math :p

Lima
28-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Can't wait for the MkX, haha. :banana:

anarchycamp
28-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Can't wait for the MkX, haha. :banana:

haha yeah my logic is only correct to a point :P

G-rig
28-09-2009, 06:57 AM
I'd go the 18" Detroits, as a lot of people with mk5's are after them and they are a nice OEM upgrade.. always hard to stomach at time of purchase paying a lot for the upgrade though vs going after market.

+1. I didn't mind them on the mkV but they look very ordinary on the VI. Should have been relegated to the museum.

17" are a bit small these days, but the mk6 is really only a facelift model and i like the fact they have similar wheels (they aren't the same exactly) also may help hold the value of the mk5 if they aren't totally different looking cars.

windmagnet
28-09-2009, 09:18 AM
I have not been able to find any kind of detailed review of the ACC yet. Most reviews give it little more than a passing mention. Sounds like comfort would noticeably soften the ride on rougher roads and that in normal it will actually modify its settings to sport if the system senses you are pushing hard. Sport may improve steering feel (some reviews suggest that steering is not too communicative)

On the UK GTI forum, there is the full range of opinions on ACC - must have to don't waste your money.

On the 18s, almost everyone is in favour - minority claims the factory supplied18s have a durability issue related to finish (something to do with laquer wearing off and subseqent oxidation). 17s are generally accepted to give a more comfortable ride. Apparently EVO did a tyre test using the MkV GTI which found that the 17s were actualy faster around a track than the 18s.

Latest plan is to preorder with 18s and ACC. If not available with 18s, take the standard 17s and upgrade later if I feel the need (Scirroco style wheels would be nice). There are some nice looking alternative wheels on UK cars.

Proposed order:

5 door
Candy white
DSG
AAC
18s
Leather
Sat Nav

May also get dark tinted side and rear windows if pricing is OK.

Xenon lights look good but cost will be way overboard, based on pricing in other places (NZ$2,200 :eek:)

NZ get Park Pilot front and rear as standard. From the Oz spec, it looks like a rear parking sensor is an accessory.

Don't expect to get any discount on RRP, dealer delivery etc. This will be the first time ever I have paid anywhere near full price for a car. Will be lucky to get some rubber mats thrown in for free. It all add ups to big $$'s. Thank god for the ATO business tax break.

Anyone got any bright ideas on anything else I can realistically ask the dealer to chuck in when I have zero bargaining power?

Lima
28-09-2009, 10:44 AM
IMO xenons are the bomb. If you've never had them before I can understand you might think they are pricey. But, IMO, they well worth the money.

I really wanted to get them on our GTI, but as we got one of the first 3drs in the country we had to tick as many of our preferred options boxes from the cars available in the country at that time - we got the colour, the sunroof and the leather seats, but no bling lights. On my old MINI and the S3, though, the xenons are fantastic.

Anyone got any bright ideas on anything else I can realistically ask the dealer to chuck in when I have zero bargaining power?

Actually, I reckon you should be able to negotiate a bit of deal, simply because you're loading up with some of the more exxy options (esp the Nav). Good luck!

anarchycamp
28-09-2009, 12:43 PM
IMO xenons are the bomb. If you've never had them before I can understand you might think they are pricey. But, IMO, they well worth the money.

I really wanted to get them on our GTI, but as we got one of the first 3drs in the country we had to tick as many of our preferred options boxes from the cars available in the country at that time - we got the colour, the sunroof and the leather seats, but no bling lights. On my old MINI and the S3, though, the xenons are fantastic.

That was my only regret with my MkV, that I didnt get Xenons. I had the same issue as Liam in the fact that I got one off the first boat and options were hard to come by.

Lukey13
28-09-2009, 01:04 PM
In regards to the questions about ACC, I too have found little detailed information about it except for the brief comments in most reviews.

From what I understand, it seems to be best to just leave it in normal mode and allow the computer to work out when to shift into sports mode and comfort modes.

I am still unclear on whether the ACC option merely allows you to change these settings and whether without ACC the car is in "normal" mode but can shift between sports and comfort automatically still. I am assuming that the "Adaptive" part of the acronym suggests that without ACC there is only one setting which does not adapt depending on driving circumstances.

An adaptive chassis is quite desirable to make the car more comfy, especially on 18" wheels, whereas the ability to switch manually between modes does not interest me much when the normal mode does that for you.

Another factor you might want to consider in your decision between 17" or 18" wheels is the cost of tyres. Perhaps get a quote on a good tyre (say Michelin Pilot Preceda 2) and compare the two. I've always thought that 18" wheels tend to be a pretty big step up from 17" in terms of harshness and have liked the compromise between comfort and handling of 17"s, however I'd be open to getting the pretty 18"s on a GTI more for looks.

I'd try to wrangle some form of discount on a heavily specified GTI (can you access the Corporate discount?) otherwise you'll end up paying mid $50k's plus.

gregozedobe
28-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Just thought I'd mention that a few tyre tests seem to indicate that 17s are significantly quicker around a track than 18s (on Mk V GTIs anyway). So if you are after better handling maybe you should save your money to pay for those expensive options (eg Bi-Xenons :rolleyes:)

MadWorm
28-09-2009, 06:45 PM
Lukey13, I went to my local dealer looking for info on the Mark 6 last week and the salesman asked who I worked for, when I told him the organisation name he said I was eligible for the corporate discount. Problem is they don't offer it across the board, the Mark 6 GTI will not be eligible for corporate discount when it is released. Undeterred we worked some numbers based on Mark 5 prices as a guide, and the discount was about $3500 on a heavily specced 3 door. They also reduce dealer delivery to about $700 from memory. He did offer me a great deal on a Mark 5.

Apparently it took 12 months before corporate discount was allowed on the Tiguan, this decision is made by VW Australia, not the dealers. I was told the decision relates to demand for the particular model, and to expect a wait of 6 to 12 months before corporate discount would be allowed on the Mark 6 GTI. Hmm, can I wait that long?

G-rig
28-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Just thought I'd mention that a few tyre tests seem to indicate that 17s are significantly quicker around a track than 18s (on Mk V GTIs anyway). So if you are after better handling maybe you should save your money to pay for those expensive options (eg Bi-Xenons :rolleyes:)

18" look better and fine for the roads.. I'd agree, if he's tracking it he should just get another lightweight set of 17" mostly because rubber is cheaper..

Bi-Xenons aren't really easy or cheap to fit later so i'd get those..

Corey_R
02-10-2009, 01:28 AM
I'll throw another vote for the Bi-Xenons. I had them on my MKV GTI and they were simply amazing. I'll never purchase another car without them where it is an option.

As for 18's and ACC... This is as subjective as what's the best sounding heavy metal album ;) It doesn't matter what anyone here says, what matters is what feels best to your hands on the wheel and your ass on the seat. Find a dealer who has a demo with those options and go test it.

ozvino
23-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Wanted to bring this post back to life if I could; can I ask if anyone has updated info on ACC ? Im looking to place an order on a MKVI GTI with 18's very soon and im contemplating adding ACC; ive only driven the DSG non ACC with std rims, I cant find a demo with ACC and 18's

my obvious question (to anyone who owns a mkvi gti with 18's and ACC) is do you think its worth the price, how does it ride (especially in sport mode), etc.

Thanks, any help aprpeciated

dave

elisiX
23-12-2009, 08:36 AM
I have only driven the standard 17's without ACC like you so I cant say with any experience. However the dealer told me not to bother with ACC. They drove the spec you are interested in (18" w/ ACC) on a drive day and claimed that they couldn't really see a difference with or without ACC. Now I was listing options out of the kazoo (inc. the 18" detroit) so its not like they were pushing me one way or another.. they just didn't think it was worth it.

ozvino
23-12-2009, 09:10 AM
yeah, agreed; it was actually the dealer who said to me the ACC wasnt worth it, his comment was "your buying a sports car, why would you want to soften the ride"

I'll think a little on it

Thx

elisiX
23-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I was in a situation with my deal where I was offered to add in another option to the long list I already had.

We went with the park assist / camera instead because it's nifty and will be used much more often.

I also think the park assist will stand as the more desirable option when the car is sold down the track.

Corey_R
23-12-2009, 09:19 AM
yeah, agreed; it was actually the dealer who said to me the ACC wasnt worth it, his comment was "your buying a sports car, why would you want to soften the ride"

I'll think a little on it

Thx

Well, for me, since I live in NSW and our government are too broke to actually maintain or fix any of the roads, I have about 10km (out of the 15km) of good reason each way to and from work each day to want to soften the ride, ESPECIALLY with 18" wheels.

If you live somewhere with nice roads, like Brisbane (haven't driven enough around Vic in past 2 years to comment) then I'd agree that there is no point in softening the ride. ;)

elisiX
23-12-2009, 09:22 AM
I drive to work on Southen Cross Drive every day - its basically brand new. I don't need ACC :)

Just about everywhere I go in Sydney is connected by these main highway / arterial roads which are relatively good.

It's the back streets and suburban roads that are shoddy.

Corey_R
23-12-2009, 09:31 AM
It's the back streets and suburban roads that are shoddy.

Yeah! That's my issue. Hell, one of the major 'back streets' in my area had a single lane (as in 1 way at a time) bridge until like last year. It was the closest alternative to the Showground Road which is the 'main road' connecting hundreds of thousands of resident to Castle Hill and Pennant Hills etc and that is STILL single lay (each way) at some points. The NSW roads are ridiculous in places!

Christopher
23-12-2009, 09:50 AM
the Mark 6 GTI will not be eligible for corporate discount when it is released. ... I was told the decision relates to demand for the particular model, and to expect a wait of 6 to 12 months before corporate discount would be allowed on the Mark 6 GTI. Hmm, can I wait that long?

That sounds a bit sus to me. I received the corporate discount and I ordered the Mk6 GTi 2 weeks ago. I also know that many of the guys and gals here have also received the discount too.

What dealership are you buying from?

elisiX
23-12-2009, 09:59 AM
That comment was made back in September.. the dealer at the time may have fed him that crap.

Corporate discounts are a plenty. :)

Christopher
23-12-2009, 10:04 AM
massive jump between treads..... Disregard.

mattyf83
23-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah! That's my issue. Hell, one of the major 'back streets' in my area had a single lane (as in 1 way at a time) bridge until like last year. It was the closest alternative to the Showground Road which is the 'main road' connecting hundreds of thousands of resident to Castle Hill and Pennant Hills etc and that is STILL single lay (each way) at some points. The NSW roads are ridiculous in places!

The old Glenhaven Bridge hey?

The area has gotten a lot better with the new bridge, old windsor/windsor intersection, terminus street bypass and Old Northern/Windsor intersection. Not to mention the previously undrivable roads of kellyville.

that said a boot up foxall with 18s and no acc would be an interesting ride.

Corey_R
23-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah - it's getting better. The road surround the bridge are still shot to pieces, and Castle Hill centre is still a bit of a mess until they decide to completely close the main street! Oh well :)

elisiX
23-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Ah yes I know that bridge pretty well. Have a close friend who lives in Glenhaven.

mfl
23-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Got the GTi. with 17" wheels and would have optioned the 18" if they were available. The 17" dont look too bad at the front, but when looking at the rear side view they look a little small.

Think that the 18sshould have been a standard inclusion on the mk6 GTi

cheers

booya
23-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Definitely go 18's (WITHOUT ACC). Friend got to do track day with various Mk6 GTI with different combo options. He could not tell any significant difference in ride b/w 17 and 18 (on track, not on suburban crappy roads).
I always found the ACC more of a gimmick, similar to the park assist. It makes only a small difference and not worth the extra $$. If using the car for going around town or to work, on reasonable roads, leave the ACC out of it.

You can't beat the look of the 18s IMO, they really should be standard on all GTIs and looks the real deal.

I tested the park assist numerous times before buying. Every condition needs to be "just right" for it to have a good park. It isn't that intuitive, and it ran up the curb 3 times despite all seemingly perfect conditions. I really think for the size of the GTI, it ain't worth it unless you're into gadgetry or want it as a "show and tell" gimmick to impress the guys. It would be great for big SUVs though. I reckon if you're a decent driver who's into GTIs you should be able to parallel park without a sweat anyway. If you're that worried you can't park, get the full reverse cam and back sensors instead.

Corey_R
24-12-2009, 08:14 AM
So then... what about ACC on the Golf R when you're optioning the 19's ?! Hehehe. I'm sure even a small diff in the 'comfort setting' will be welcome on the roads ;)

elisiX
24-12-2009, 08:18 AM
You might have a point there. :)

STV4SYT
24-12-2009, 10:09 AM
So then... what about ACC on the Golf R when you're optioning the 19's ?! Hehehe. I'm sure even a small diff in the 'comfort setting' will be welcome on the roads ;)

Id like to hope the "R" comes with ACC already, as with the R32 a lot of the optional bits of the GTI were standard fit.

Personally i didnt bother with it, Ive had cars with manually adjustable shocks before which is i guess a distant relative, and found even though i could (with a screwdriver) after about 3 weeks tinkering i never touched them again.

elisiX
24-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I was thinking the same too Steve.. that the R20 should have many of the options standard from the GTI.

ACC is certainly at least one I would expect.

Park Assist would obviously be something still left optional.

Corey_R
24-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I totally doubt that the R will have ACC as standard. It certainly has in no other country. Obviously the more they add as standard, the more they'd have to increase the price etc.

As for Park Assist. I don't believe that will be an option on the R. At least it hasn't appeared as option for the R anywhere else that I can find yet. You can have front/rear parking sensors though.

elisiX
24-12-2009, 10:48 AM
Fair call.

I'd still like to see 1 or 2 of the options on the GTI standard.

Corey_R
24-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Well, there usually always is.
Metallic Paint
Leather
Bi-Xenons
18" Wheels

There's $7200 of options right there. Who knows if the Golf R will include these like with the R32 and what else we'll get, if anything.

pologti18t
24-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, there usually always is.
Metallic Paint
Leather
Bi-Xenons
18" Wheels

There's $7200 of options right there. Who knows if the Golf R will include these like with the R32 and what else we'll get, if anything.

Does the new R have optional leather? Some cloth mix as standard?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/12/volkswagengolfrinterior-1.jpg

You have to think that VW will do everything it can to get it under the LCT threshold

Corey_R
24-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I think that they'll do the same as they did for the R32 with the Golf R.
Although the R32 was available in many other countries with cloth, it was in Australia with leather as standard. I hope that'll be the same.
Btw.... on 'RRP' prices, there is no R32 which is under the LCT. Even the 3 dr manual, which is $55,490 has a few hundred of LCT by the time you've added the dealer delivery in etc.

G-rig
24-12-2009, 02:54 PM
LCT isn't that much to worry about as long as you don't go too much over $57k. I think i paid about $200 as it was a bit over.

Hopefully xenons and leather would be standard.