PDA

View Full Version : Wiper resevoir... no warning?

fergVdub
02-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Hi all,

Just had to fill my wiper resovoir with water & two capfills of VW magic fluid but had no warning at all that it was about to run out.

The owners manual states that I should have had a warning before this occurred is this normal or is this a downgrade as I have on '07 spec car?
Has anybody ever had a warning B4?

Do not want to scratch my windsceen and always counted on this feature!

cheers ferg

and133
18-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Yeah my mate was reading my manual and he asked about it.. NO SUCH luck when i ran out of water. Also there when i ran a flat tyre there apparently is a thing which warns you of low tyre pressure.. DIDNT HAPPEN. obviously not on mine... (06 sportline golf)

brackie
18-03-2007, 10:03 AM
gtimk5 and I were looking at my TDI yesterday and finding similar things to those that you guys are mentioning. We came to the conclusion that the computer wasn't programmed to my specs when I picked the car up from the stealer. The salesman at no time mentioned to me the programming options available and it wasn't until I read forum posts and talked to Andrew that I realised that they should have been set up on delivery. Apparently the stealers charge you for setting them if you go back. I have to have the radio/flat battery recall sorted on my TDI and while I'm there there's gonna be a bunfight!

But don't you love the smell of the washer fluid? :)

dilbert_rocks
18-03-2007, 11:01 AM
We came to the conclusion that the computer wasn't programmed to my specs when I picked the car up from the stealer. The salesman at no time mentioned to me the programming options available and it wasn't until I read forum posts and talked to Andrew that I realised that they should have been set up on delivery. Apparently the stealers charge you for setting them if you go back.

How many programming options are there? It would be great to know what could/should be asked for when purchasing the car, ie: if this forum could generate a list?

Are the options described throughout the manual?

Just found this (as a start)...

You should have got them all done prior to delivery. I asked for the following to be set up when I got my car. I think some may be "standard" features but it's prbably safest to ask. -
1. One click - all doors open.
2. If car unlocked - Hold down close/open button and all windows close and car locks.
3. If car locked - Hold down close/open button and all windows open and car unlocks
3. Auto lock after 20 kmh. Again got kids.
4. Auto open when doors locked and key removed from ignition
5. No horn to sound when lock car.
6. No horn to sound when unlock car.
7. Courtesy head lights set time to 20 seconds
There may be others but I think tese are the main ones?

acdcfan
18-03-2007, 11:37 AM
gtimk5 and I were looking at my TDI yesterday and finding similar things to those that you guys are mentioning. We came to the conclusion that the computer wasn't programmed to my specs when I picked the car up from the stealer. The salesman at no time mentioned to me the programming options available and it wasn't until I read forum posts and talked to Andrew that I realised that they should have been set up on delivery. Apparently the stealers charge you for setting them if you go back. I have to have the radio/flat battery recall sorted on my TDI and while I'm there there's gonna be a bunfight!

But don't you love the smell of the washer fluid? :)

I know I do ...... love the smell of washer fluid

Edit

Are above options available in Comfortline ?

Lima
18-03-2007, 04:31 PM
I thought the tyre pressure monitoring system was only on GTIs for Australia??? Anyway, if you car has the functionality there will be a TPMS button on your centre console just behind your ashtray & gear stick.

:)

acdcfan
18-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I thought the tyre pressure monitoring system was only on GTIs for Australia??? Anyway, if you car has the functionality there will be a TPMS button on your centre console just behind your ashtray & gear stick.

Ok... maybe not a tyre pressure but what about whiper warning

Edit

My 2.0TDI has no such options

ScottH2155
18-03-2007, 09:45 PM

Nope, count the Jetta in for that function...it works too. If you check your tyres at the garage using the "set to 36psi auto pump" and forget to reset the thing - it will squeel when the tyres heat up.

I was heading off to Bris, ex Syd, checked the 5 tyres, didn't think to reset the thing. 0330 - set off the next morning, got all warmed up 10km down the road...BING...you have a flat....GRRRR great way to start the trip...alas..it was only the sensor.

gtimk5
19-03-2007, 06:26 AM
I have reset the tyre pressures on my GTI a few times by as little as 3lbs. and had the warning go off down the road. I have also destoyed 2 tyres on out Tassie roads and the warning has alerted me welkl before the loss of pressure was noticible looking at the tyre.
I spose the normal check over of your vehicle includes topping up your washer fluid rather than waiting for the warning to appear?
My old Mk4 one alerted me once for low level when I was slack in not topping it up.
Cheers, Andrew :)

fergVdub
26-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Hi all,

had the Jetta in to the dealers to get a faulty window motor replaced, whilst there I asked them to check why there was no resevoir warning. I was told "the resevoir warning was not installed on this vehicle".

So it seems that an '07 spec car no longer has this facility, hardware rather than software Brackie... shame, cos as gtimkv said check it regularly sounds good...... only trouble is it is a little hard to see as the bulk of the tank is out of view!

Anybody got this feature that works on their car... maybe it is only on USA versions?

On a more positive note my tyre pressure warning sytems works fine ignore it at your peril!

cheers Ferg

mhh
26-03-2007, 09:05 PM
How many programming options are there? It would be great to know what could/should be asked for when purchasing the car, ie: if this forum could generate a list?

Are the options described throughout the manual?

Just found this (as a start)...

Are any of these thing programmable by the owner, does anyone know?

flu!d
31-03-2007, 07:07 AM
The Oz spec Jetta V does not have the low washer sensor fitted from the factory. The warning can be enabled using VAG-COM or the VAS 5052 but it just goes off all the time due to the fact that the sensor is not fitted to the washer bottle.

And they're called 'dealers'....Not 'stealers'....

....Comming from someone that's a VW service manager.

drb999
31-03-2007, 10:02 AM
The Oz spec Jetta V does not have the low washer sensor fitted from the factory. The warning can be enabled using VAG-COM or the VAS 5052 but it just goes off all the time due to the fact that the sensor is not fitted to the washer bottle.

The are definitely 'stealers', no doubt about that; but is there anywhere in Oz (online) or in Sydney where you can pickup a VAG-COM and how much is it roughly?

h100vw
31-03-2007, 10:54 AM
Guy H is the importer I believe, the software is free but the cable costs you instead.

ross-tech.com

I have a genuine one which is far superior to the cheapy ones on ebay. The functionality of the software on the genuine cables is way above the "shareware style" that works with the cheapies.

I think my cable was $300 US, I'll have it at nationals if you or anyone else wants scanning.

Gavin

shaneth
31-03-2007, 02:35 PM

Welcome to the forum Flu!d. Hope you enjoy your stay. What do you drive? WHich state are you located in?

I know calling dealers stealers may seem a little harsh but in general that is the rep that they have gotten themselves. Having said that the dealer i went to in Brisbane was fantastic and i wouldnt be calling them stealers. Having said that its not just VW people who call them that either. Every forum ive been on (quite alot) have the same name for them.

flu!d
31-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Are they 'stealers' because you believe they charge you too much for servicing, are they stealers simply because they did not fix your problem first time or are they stealers simply because you do not like dealers and you believe joe bloggs backyard mechanic can do a better job? (yes, there are people that simply do not like dealers "because they don't"?!)

Because being a service manager at a VW dealership I deal with all kinds of customers, and quite frankly, I believe more and more the modern customer is an unreasonable ******** (parden the lingo, but I just don't know how else to describe these individuals)....Now don't get me wrong, I give these people the upmost of service and I am always plesant and nice to their face, even when they are talking to me like I am a piece of crap....But really, do you guyz calling dealers 'stealers' go to work everyday and get spoken to like crap? Would you enjoy your job and go out of your way to help the general public if you 'did' get spoken to like crap by at least one of them daily? Do you make mistakes at work? When you make mistakes do you expect to be spoken to like worthless garbage by the general public? I'm quite sure you don't....

You people need to understand that, suprise, suprise, we are actually there to help you....We are not there to delibrately piss you off and we are not there to delibratly cost you a fortune just because we feel like it (however, always remember, we are also not a charity....No more that any of you guyz are in your line of buisness), so why the need to call us names and treat us like utter rubbish when we work on your car? Hell, i've had female service receptionists crying at the counter over the way a customer was speaking to her, and we haden't even worked on the vehicle in question yet?! We've had customers call staff members names for no reason whatsoever, they wern't even serving the customer in question, and when told to leave the service department they went wild....To the point where we were forced to call the police, and even then the customer kept snatching the phone out of the staff members hand!

Yes, we do occationally misdiagnose faults....Contrary to popular belief we cannot simply put our hands on the vehicle and 'feel it's pain' so from time to time we do make mistakes....Sometimes we can even make the same mistake twice [gasp!] - Do you all have any idea just how complex these vehicles are? Do you all know how hard it is to find a decent technician these days?! Not a grease monkey, a technician? You can't, they all left and pumped septic tanks for a living because the pay was better...And that poses a significant problem for the automotive trade in general. Think of that fact next time you think that your service was expensive, are plumbers cheap? Are builders cheap? Because last time I checked they definatly were not....And they're tradesmen just like the technicians working on your car, and i'm sure you'd prefer a technician working on your car over a grease monkey....Also bear in mind that with the costs of training, tooling and numerous other expenses that cost service departments very large sums of money each month, such costs have to be reflected in the cost per hour of servicing....That's how the world works unfortunatlely.

And guyz....The factory determines the pricing of parts, not us....The amount we put on top of the price we purchace the parts for really isn't as much as you would like to believe....

...And it's not our fault the part for your imported european car is on backorder....

....And it's not our fault that [insert fault here] is not covered by warrenty....We are just frontline, the facory determines what is/is not covered by warrenty.

....And your vehicle will not be serviced/repaired any faster or better if you stand there and watch it being done....In fact the techs may make mistakes easier due to the pressure you're putting them under. And if you make your way into the workshop...You 'will' be booted out for saftey reasons.

Please guyz, think of the above points the next time you have an issue with a dealer....Work together with the dealer (yes, we will do that if you are nice about it) and the issue will be resolved a hell of a lot faster and easier.

And remember....We didn't build the car.

Shaneth,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I drive a brand new '07 2.0 TDI Jetta with the factory sports handleing kit and 6 speed DSG that I have modded to 125kw's and added the traditional 'red' TDi badge on the rear....I love the car and as soon as I get a chance I am gonna post pics of it on these forums so everyone can see it! :-)

To anyone interested, I purchaced the VAG-COM software and OBD-II can capable lead off ebay in the USA for about $80.00 shipped....On my laptop it works a treat and is actually better and easier to use in many ways that the VAG supplied VAS 5052. If you're a dub owner and you don't have VAG-COM do yourself a favour and get it.

Cheers guyz and I hope to visit these forums more often....

drb999
31-03-2007, 03:36 PM
Are they 'stealers' because you believe they charge you too much for servicing, are they stealers simply because they did not fix your problem first time or are they stealers simply because you do not like dealers and you believe joe bloggs backyard mechanic can do a better job? (yes, there are people that simply do not like dealers "because they don't"?!)

shaneth
31-03-2007, 03:41 PM
drb999, mate you have to remember that not all dealers are the same i know from where i am, one was bad and one was fantastic, all i need to do is make a phone call and they will help me out. Before i got my car they bent over backwards and now that i have it i have had letters checking on me and phone calls. So Fluid does have good points but i know that not all are like this.

flu!d
31-03-2007, 04:02 PM
drb999,

It woulden't be fair for me to comment on your situation with your dealer as I just don't know the specifics and I cannot comment on something based on your unavoidably biased point of view (not saying that is nessecarily wrong, just biased in the friendliest sence).

But as an example I have had one specific customer ring me from Sydney (We are based in Melbourne) to inform me that we had scratched her car and lost/damaged her heater control knobs and radio....This particular customer rang me 10 days after the service, and she was 'demanding' that we pay for the repairs to her vehicle.

Now, number one, why was she ringing me ten days after the fact....?

Number two, she had driven from Melbourne to Sydney, anything could have happened to that vehicle and scratched it, some of which that customer may have not even been aware that the scratch had occured.

Number three....

...We serviced the vehicle, why on earth would we have touched the customers heater controls or their radio?!

Most likely the vehicle had been broken into and someone had attempted to steal the radio and possibly even scratched the vehicle in spite when they coulden't get the unit out of the dashboard.

Yet somehow my department was coping the blame for the problems with this vehicle and I was 'expected' to foot the bill?!

People just seem to think 'the dealer can afford it, they're bigger than I am'.

Can you imagine the reaction when I very calmly and nicely stated that I would 'not' be footing the bill for the repairs to the vehicle.

brackie
31-03-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm probably to blame for starting all of this by using the term "stealers". I did this because it amused me, not because I have anything personally against any one dealer or any of the staff that work at a dealer's establishment.

I'd like this to stop here and I'm prepared to take the blame for starting it. Fluid, I've pmed you with an apology and I unreservedly take back anything that I may have written to offend you. I hope that I speak also for other contributors to this thread.

All of us want this forum to maintain its friendly, cooperative atmosphere so I will delete all posts relating to this subject from this thread if any further escalation occurs.

flu!d
31-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Brackie,

Thank you for your comments.

Being a moderator on the Overclockers Australia forums you have no idea how impressed I am by the maturity displayed on the VW Watercooled Australia forums....

....Cheers guyz and keep up the good work.

Expect to see me back often.

fergVdub
31-03-2007, 09:37 PM
As the originator of this thread I would like to thank you Flu!d for giving me confirmation of what I thought originaly was the issue at hand.

My dealer (and I have always called them that) as previously posted, told me that there was no washer level indicator installed on my vehicle. I have no issues with my dealer or my service to date, I just was not aware that this feature was not installed, a sales, not a service issue.
Personally I felt that the sales department were less than accomodating and forthcomming however the service department is another story.

You have given me further information as to Vag -com and how much of a waste of time time persuing activating the indicator would be, this to me and others on this forum is valuable information and I for one appreciate it.

I have dealt with the general public and share youre frustration at some peoples attitudes, predjudices and intolerances and agree that a respectfull and polite demeaner will generally give better results all round,
welcome to the forum, I am sure your input will be greatly valued

cheers

ferg

BlackVr6ix
02-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Brackie,

Thank you for your comments.

Being a moderator on the Overclockers Australia forums you have no idea how impressed I am by the maturity displayed on the VW Watercooled Australia forums....

....Cheers guyz and keep up the good work.

Expect to see me back often.

AHA! i knew it. i guess you saw my post about this place in the motoring section. (Dracarys on OCAU FYI)

syncro
02-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Are they 'stealers' because you believe they charge you too much for servicing, ....

I consider $600 for an oil change excessive. If they did everything that you have paid for with the service it wouldn't be too bad.

shaneth
02-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Lets not start this up again please.