PDA

View Full Version : Could it be a static discharge

tighappy
26-09-2009, 07:53 AM
:happyfrownnono:I have an intermittent problem with my Tiguan TDI and I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. On four occasions whilst driving over the last year there has been a loud bang through the speakers and the RNS 510 has gone blank then seconds later come back on but the data in regard to l/kms etc has reset to zero. I'm hoping someone with auto electric skills might suggest what could be causing this problem and the solution. There doesn't seem to be a common factor when it has occured

Sanman
26-09-2009, 08:12 AM
edit: I just realised - that the RNS510 and MFD data goes blank - the fault is system wide, not just one item. It doesn't cut the engine, or send up faults on the dash, so it seems to be isolated to the Instrument panel circuits.
Check the battery connection, but that looks like a difficult intermittent fault to diagnose.

Pullstarter
26-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Could be amplifier clipping? If the MFD is on the same circuit as the deck and amp it could be causing the whole lot to trip?

clip
27-09-2009, 06:06 PM
take it directly to your dealer. They should pick that up easily. I'm guessing just a bad connection - probably into the head unit. I wouldn't delay getting it checked though, and I'd be leaving the unit off until then (the RNS510 I mean).

gregozedobe
27-09-2009, 07:08 PM
I had a vague recollection of reading about this in the Octavia II section of the Briskoda forum so I had a look for you :

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/has-your-stream-done/156531/

Post #4 has a list of some of the threads discussing it. IIRC it was a faulty headunit and the fix was to replace it.

clip
27-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I had a vague recollection of reading about this in the Octavia II section of the Briskoda forum so I had a look for you :

http://briskoda.net/octavia-ii/has-your-stream-done/156531/

Post #4 has a list of some of the threads discussing it. IIRC it was a faulty headunit and the fix was to replace it.

+1 (:eek: - a faulty RNS510!? :eek: )

Sanman
27-09-2009, 08:54 PM

Good find!

tighappy
28-09-2009, 08:04 AM
:)Many thanks for all your replies I really appreciate the information - I now have something substantial to go back to the dealer with. I think they thought I was just being a woman driver when I described the noise as being like I'd been hit. Will let you know how I get on.