PDA

View Full Version : Post Delivery Checks

Gaz
24-09-2009, 10:04 PM
So we have just passed 1500Kms on our new Octavia, and we had been told by the dealer to bring the car back in for a check up at 1500.
This is free of charge, part of the delivery service and apparently standard for new Skodas

I can't get back to the dealer (interstate) for the check up, but "no problems", they say "any Skoda dealer can do it"...

The Local Canberra dealer says "no can do", they have customers bring their cars back in for a minor service/check up at 7500Kms, and it costs $80.

Can anyone confirm what is the norm?

Cheers

gregozedobe
25-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Some dealers will do a "post purchase check" for free, others don't. Unless you can find one that agrees with your selling dealer then you will be paying for it. A cynical mind could suspect that the dealer is giving you a freebie (which isn't going to cost them much) to get you used to the idea of visiting the dealer regularly and therefore getting your servicing done there.

IMHO unless you have reason to suspect there is something wrong then there is no urgent need to go to the dealer that soon (assuming that you have read the manual and are doing the normal owner-responsibility checks of fluid levels, tyre pressures etc). When you get back home get your dealer to do the check then.

I think the official line from Skoda Oz is that unless something goes wrong (or your driving constitutes "severe driving conditions") then your first service isn't needed until 15,000Km/12 months (whichever is the sooner).

Some dealers recommend an interim oil change service at 7,500km/6 months, others don't. Obviously the more often you get your car serviced the more money they make ;)

Some owners like to do an initial oil change at 1-2,000Km (I do), other people insist it is a waste of time, money and oil and your car is better off without it.

Lots of opinions around, some very strident on these issues. Do your research and do what you think is best.

oracle1
25-09-2009, 12:54 AM
First oil change at 1000-1500 to remove the shard formed as parts bed in, also to check for rocks in the filter in case something has gone wrong. I like to cut open my oil filters at the change and look.

Transporter
25-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Just a word about these extended oil changes on late model cars.
Every VW sold in OZ is set for fixed servicing 15,000km or 1 year whichever come first. I always changed engine oil in all our cars no later than 7,500km. In my T5 for last 3 oil changes I set up display for flexible servicing and the message "Service in 3,000km" came on the display after driving just 3,000km after the oil change. So, for you guys who want to keep their cars in good condition for long, long time think about changing your oil every 7,500km instead. Especially if you do many short trips like I do. (see the note in the owner's manual "Driving under severe conditions")
I have no doubts that, if you service your car by the manufacturer recommendation, that your car will last 3 years 100,000km but what happens if you keep it for 200,000km or 10 or more years? Would it be trouble free or would the extended oil changes reduce the life of many engine components and engine itself?

For Gaz,
have your dealer to change the engine oil and oil filter at 7,500km if you can. It will not hurt the engine and will only last longer, but if you would be replacing the car every 3years, don't. Do what is in the owner's manual.

Skoda Convert
25-09-2009, 11:20 AM
I must agree with everyone else GAZ and the 7,500 is worth considering if you are keeping the vehicle for over 3 years. The thing that concerns me is whether or not the pre-delivery inspection which is vital for all new cars has been done?? It's like a rwc and if they haven't done it and thats why they are asking you to return in 1,500km to get it done then i would be concerned.

They may be trying to appear as though they are offering this great service but in reality if they are not changing the oil and filter at 1,500km then all they are doing is what should have been done as a part of pre-delivery before you picked up the car, so it is hard to see how they are offering great service by inconveniencing you to come back for something they should have already done pre-delivery.

If you still have doubts call Skoda Australia, they will tell you without any fear of BS (hopefully)

woofy
25-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I've asked the dealers again and again ....(and again) about a 1500km service, or even a 7.5k service. All the dealers in Melb say come see us at 15k. When I did push them for a 7.5k service, they quoted $300 odd..so I gave up.

I asked my cousin who was a Mazda/Honda mechanic and now does VW/SKoda/AUdi and he said he has never seen metal in the VAG cars at even 15k, but did see it occasionally in the Japanese cars which recommend the first service at 1500km. He reckons the Hyundais he serviced though had filters chock full of metal at the run-in service.

neil
25-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Just do as the service book says.

I'll only being doing the service every 15000km despite the service dealer
programing the MFD to go off after another 7500km for another service.

K1W1
25-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Frequency of oil changes and services is always a hot topic on any auto forum whether it's cars, motorcycles or Four wheel drives.
Basically there is no right and no wrong whatever the owner wants to do and is prepared to pay for then that is all that matters as long as the maximum time between changes is the manufacturers recommendation (for warranty purposes).
BMW point blank refused to change the oil earlier than 15,000km / one year on our last car, the previous one they did at 1000 under protest. When I was in the auto industry in the 1980's I saw a Toyota Cressida that had done 60,000km on the original oil and filters from the factory. After a through service the thing ran like a new car with no apparent ill effects.
These days the manufacturing tolerances in the engines and the chemical formulations of the oils are far better then when many of us grew up with the 3000 mile oil change routine. We are all happy with increased life of tyres, better fuel economy, better sound systems and more reliable driving that technology has brought us but many of us still cling to old ideas regarding oil for some reason.

dazag
26-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I'm a converted old school maintainer, in that I used to change it more often then recommended, but these days I believe is has more to do with sump capacity, filter size, & Oil type. To give you an idea, I have a Mercedes Vito Van that has a service interval of every 22,500kms, thing is that Merc run full synthetic oil, and the sump is 8 litres, and they have a fairly big filter( Costs about $120 just in oil). Mine is an 02 model has done 184,000km and is still running smooth and no idications of worn engine (smokey exhaust, engine rattles on start up etc). I just need to get a transmission flush done now........

I havent had a look at the specs of the skoda, but i would assume they run full syntheic ( Shell Helix by the looks ) especially with turbo's etc. I'll see how the oil looks at 7,500km, but i would imagine I'll let is slide to the 15,000km service recommendation and see how it looks then. If I was driving it hard or towing with it, then i might shorten my service intevals........
What does the service manual say about changing the oil in the transmission/gearbox?? I know brake fluid every 2 years, as that same with coolant.

Transporter
26-09-2009, 07:42 PM
I'm a converted old school maintainer, in that I used to change it more often then recommended, but these days I believe is has more to do with sump capacity, filter size, & Oil type. To give you an idea, I have a Mercedes Vito Van that has a service interval of every 22,500kms, thing is that Merc run full synthetic oil, and the sump is 8 litres, and they have a fairly big filter( Costs about $120 just in oil). Mine is an 02 model has done 184,000km and is still running smooth and no idications of worn engine (smokey exhaust, engine rattles on start up etc). I just need to get a transmission flush done now........

I havent had a look at the specs of the skoda, but i would assume they run full syntheic ( Shell Helix by the looks ) especially with turbo's etc. I'll see how the oil looks at 7,500km, but i would imagine I'll let is slide to the 15,000km service recommendation and see how it looks then. If I was driving it hard or towing with it, then i might shorten my service intevals........
What does the service manual say about changing the oil in the transmission/gearbox?? I know brake fluid every 2 years, as that same with coolant.

Coolant should be lifetime fill in Skoda (understand it as 5 Years that is a Life time by the German TUV).
Just a bit off topic; Transmission oil change in your 02 Vito - 300,000km or 9 years. :eek:

Gaz
26-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks to all for the advice.

I'll wait until 7500 and get the oil and filter done then, it seems to be a reasonable compromise.

I am going to have to pay a visit to my local dealer anyway and get them to check the Xenons, they seem to be a little high, and the cars that flash high beams back at me seem to agree...

On a happy note, I have to say the RS is exceeding all expectations. My biggest problem at the moment is that SWMBO has discovered how great it is to drive...I may have to take her key away.:ohwell:

gregozedobe
27-09-2009, 02:15 AM
I am going to have to pay a visit to my local dealer anyway and get them to check the Xenons, they seem to be a little high, and the cars that flash high beams back at me seem to agree...:

If you are going to Lennocks, ask for the mechanic that did that last Xenon headlight adjustment on Greg Collins' vRS. It took 3 separate requests, but whoever did mine last time finally got it right. It was way, way too high after PDI, even though I specifically requested it be properly checked because I know a lot seem to come from the factory too high. So I asked them to adjust it and they did lower it a bit, but it was still too high. Then I asked them to adjust it lower again, but it was still too high. Finally I had some panel work done and the self levelling stopped working, so I had to take it in again, this time they finally got the level right :banana:.

On a happy note, I have to say the RS is exceeding all expectations. My biggest problem at the moment is that SWMBO has discovered how great it is to drive...I may have to take her key away.:ohwell:

Another happy Octy owner - they are a great car indeed.