PDA

View Full Version : New Airfilter Post Dust storms?

sir_camel
24-09-2009, 12:20 PM
So what is the consensus on the need for a new air filter post driving in the dust yesterday?

It's easy to pull out and check which i will do on the weekend but just wondered how many people will change regardless.:aag::aag:

I'm used to driving in very dusty conditions from my 4wding days but i care about my R32 a whole lot more than my Jeep.

static1800
24-09-2009, 12:23 PM
I would clean it out as soon as possible, pull it out give it a shake off or blow it out if you have compressed air handy. I would also check the inside of the air box to see if any got through and clean that up if required.

That dust looked very fine so who knows how much is in your filter.

madglf3
24-09-2009, 12:28 PM
I'm about to go check mine this arvo when I give it a wash. I'll report back with my findings :)

ope126
24-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Don't forget the in-cabin filter (Dust / Pollen) also!

Mrk_Mickey
24-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I'd be checking your filter quite carefully. I've just had a stupid issue with my idle stabilizer all because I have a cold air-fed tube on my car.

Golf Houso
24-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Well my MAF blew up today, whether it was a co-incidence or the dust storms actually contributed I don't think I'll ever know, interesting nonetheless...

The_Hawk
24-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Well my MAF blew up today, whether it was a co-incidence or the dust storms actually contributed I don't think I'll ever know, interesting nonetheless...

That sucks.

Convieniently for me my 6 monthly oil change/service plans are actually in a week or so I will be checking and/or replacing all those bits in a couple of weeks anyway :D

Golf Houso
24-09-2009, 06:19 PM
That sucks.

Convieniently for me my 6 monthly oil change/service plans are actually in a week or so I will be checking and/or replacing all those bits in a couple of weeks anyway :D

It was from 96 anyway so I'm not to fussed. It was kinda amusing though driving down the Cumberland Hwy billowing more smoke than a semi trailer though :P The 28l/100 km fuel economy was a bit startling though, I burned an 8th of a tank in 12k's on the way back home! :eek:

I've ordered one from eBay.uk for $102AU anyway so yeah happy days :)

I'm personally going to clean up my intake elbow and clean/re-oil my K&N in case the dust killed my MAF in the first place, and put in a new pollen filter that I've got spare.

The_Hawk
24-09-2009, 06:23 PM
I will be interested to see photo's from anyone who pulls out their filter. Would be interesting to see what sort of buildup there has been in such a short time.

For me I drive all of about 9 minutes each way so wouldn't expect a lot in my filter, but some of you guys drive much further.

Golf Houso
24-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I will be interested to see photo's from anyone who pulls out their filter. Would be interesting to see what sort of buildup there has been in such a short time.

For me I drive all of about 9 minutes each way so wouldn't expect a lot in my filter, but some of you guys drive much further.

I'll be sure to take some pics of it next week when I get the new MAF in.

madglf3
24-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I took mine apart today and there wasn't a great deal of build up- a little dust in the baffled sections of the airbox but nothing too drastic. The airfilter is only around 6000km old though so pretty good nick. I vacuumed it up and then the vacuum died on me lol.

Where is the in-cabin polen/dust filter on a mk4?

JustCruisn
24-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Cabin filter DIY on the TEX.
Is on passenger side ;)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=968305

madglf3
24-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Cabin filter DIY on the TEX.
Is on passenger side ;)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=968305

Thanks for that mate, I'll check it all out tomorrow.

s_farid01
24-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Guys, anyone here opened the Late model R32 air filter. How easy is it??Any DYI out there. Wana open an and clean mine this weekend.
Thanks

Yevvy
25-09-2009, 12:32 PM
i want to replace mine with k&n, but i reckon $100 is to much for a panel filter :duh:

Big Yellow
25-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Guys, anyone here opened the Late model R32 air filter. How easy is it??Any DYI out there. Wana open an and clean mine this weekend.
Thanks
pretty sure the top lid is held on to the bottom half via a few clips or screws?? the screwdriver in your boot will get it open!

you have to take off the front snorkel bit first - again held on via some clippy tabs.

Golf Houso
25-09-2009, 05:43 PM
i want to replace mine with k&n, but i reckon $100 is to much for a panel filter :duh:

What about a $30 recharge kit? I'm going to do mine since its done about 10k so far between my two cars.

MattyT
25-09-2009, 06:09 PM

It's the going rate for them. Think about it though, $100 for 1 filter, or $16 (mk3 vr6, probably more for later models) for an OEM paper one that gets thrown away every service.